PDA

View Full Version : Thompson tees off at Dragons

Queenslander
23-11-05, 07:34 PM
Thompson tees off at Dragons

ST George-Illawarra discard Lance Thompson has lashed out at the Dragons as he weighs up an offer from neighbouring Cronulla for the 2006 NRL season.

The Sharks today offered Thompson a one-year contract after granting Queensland State of Origin prop Danny Nutley a release to accept a lucrative two-year deal to play out his career in the English Super League.

Thompson is likely to announce a move to the Sharks tomorrow or Friday but the 27-year-old is still clearly bitter about being sacked by the Dragons earlier this month.

The Dragons accused Thompson of sending vicious text messages to teammate Justin Poore, an allegation both forwards have publicly refuted.

Despite receiving a payout from the Dragons, Thompson refuses to let the matter rest, accusing the Dragons of acting in a sinister way to remove the stalwart from the club.

"I've just been the victim obviously of an evil plot," he said to Channel 9.

"It's just very evil when I sit down and think about what they've done ... to a player who's been there 11 years.

"It's just very, very bad. I didn't send any text messages and I didn't do anything wrong.

"To do what they done, you wouldn't do that to your worst enemy. It's just the people running the club. If they want them people running the club, that's their problem."

Thompson once owned a racehorse with Dragons coach Nathan Brown, a former teammate, but it appears the two have since fallen out badly.
"I'm not going to say anything about Nathan Brown. I'm just going to wait `til I see him," the City Origin representative said.

Thompson met Cronulla coach Stuart Raper over a cup of coffee today to discuss how he would fit in at the club now that Nutley has decided to join Castleford.

"At this stage, it looks like it will happen," a Sharks official said.

Thompson's manager Khoder Nasser said Thompson wanted to sleep on the offer and would give his answer in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Nasser said he was happy with his discussions with Sharks boss Steve Rogers, but it wasn't his decision to make.

"As positive as the outcome may seem to me, it's up to Lance to make the call. It's his playing future, not mine," he said.

The move to sign Thompson comes as Sharks supporters watch the club's revolving door spinning faster than ever.

Jason Stevens has ruled out reversing his decision to retire, former captain David Peachey has been dumped, Adam Dykes seemingly wants out, Paul Mellor is on the move and the club has also released Michael Sullivan so he can play in the UK.

Sullivan needed to pay off gambling debts while Nutley came cap in hand after being offered a deal he couldn't refuse to spend what might be his final two seasons with Castleford.

"Danny is on the other side of 30, and whilst he's still a great competitor, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him," Rogers said.

"He's been a great servant to the club in his time with us, and now he has an opportunity to set up himself and his young family.

"I'm not about to be letting players go willy nilly."

Raper said it was a difficult decision to let Nutley go.

"We will definitely miss his toughness and competitiveness," he said.

"On the positive side, we have some outstanding front row prospects coming through in the likes of Jacob Selmes, Luke Douglas and Clifford Manua, and Danny moving on creates an opportunity for those younger guys."
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17342920-23214,00.html

Steelers
23-11-05, 08:31 PM
It has happened, you can't go back in time, so why live in the past? I just want this issue to move on and go away!

League Freak
23-11-05, 09:06 PM
"I've just been the victim obviously of an evil plot," he said to Channel 9.

The moron need some perspective.

Queenslander
23-11-05, 09:12 PM
"I've just been the victim obviously of an evil plot,"

:whatd: Yes all constructed by Darth Vader who has been hunting him down due to his skills, or lack there of. cookoo cookoo