PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Walker Re-signs with Titans.

Hoppy2007Dragons
07-05-08, 05:44 PM
The Gold Coast Titans have re-signed speedstar Shannon Walker until 2010.

source:www.nrl.com.au

A great re-signing, whilst i don't think Walker will play this year, bar maybe injuries or a massive origin call up, he is a player of the future and one the titans need to secure, along with a few other NYC players

DIEHARD
07-05-08, 06:00 PM
Fantastic news for the Titans! A future star.

I'm sure he would have had been noticed by many clubs.

I'm glad we have him wrapped up.

patskE
07-05-08, 06:12 PM
tbh my opinon on him is dropping every time i see him
he just dosnt act like a footy player
way to casual, peachy n campbell were casual but no where need walker
has the talent but

Coaster
07-05-08, 06:15 PM
tbh my opinon on him is dropping every time i see him
he just dosnt act like a footy player
way to casual, peachy n campbell were casual but no where need walker
has the talent but

I think we both said this last year after the Qld Cup GF, he needs to shape up imo

Coaster
07-05-08, 06:16 PM
Not saying he hasnt got a bucket load of talent, and you just cant beat raw speed, im just saying he is not yet a professional footballer.

DIEHARD
08-05-08, 02:55 AM
Walker signs to be a Titan until 2010

GOLD Coast wunderkind Shannon Walker yesterday cemented his dream in the NRL.

Walker, 19, regarded as league's brightest young star, announced he had signed with the Titans at least until the end of 2010.

The Gold Coast beat off a pack of clubs hunting the signature of the uniquely talented Aboriginal from Kyogle.

But Walker admitted there had been little chance of him going elsewhere.

"I wanted to stay here and my partner (Casie Winkler) is on a scholarship at Bond Uni," he explained.

"If I went somewhere else it would have had to have been without her and that wasn't going to happen.

"We are close to family here. This is where we wanted to stay."

The commotion surrounding Walker's re-signing would have been similar to that of one of the club's top first grade players but the teenager is yet to play first grade.

But his already legendary try-scoring feats for Seagulls in the Queensland Cup last season and the Titans Under-20 side this year have etched him as a fans favourite.

Plenty of Titans supporters come early to Skilled Park just to catch a glimpse of Walker in action.

But his brilliance has courted more than season ticket holders.

Watching on at Titans training yesterday were 15 players from the Ipswich Warriors touch football team. All are indigenous. All are part of a PCYC-based program for troubled youth. All are Shannon Walker fans.

"He (Walker) was the one they were all talking about when we were driving here," said the group's co-ordinator Anthony Ralph.

"They just couldn't wait to see him, to meet him.

"These are kids from very troubled backgrounds.

"We're talking break and enters, bashings, graffiti, stolen cars, drugs, alcohol.

"What they see in Shannon Walker is a very positive role model. They see someone like them, an indigenous person playing at this level and they know they can make it.

"They start to realise that the colour of their skin does not have to stop them."

Walker is happy to accept the pressure of being the role model. In fact he enjoys it.

"Yeah, it's good," he says. "When you are out on the street, people will come up to you for an autograph or a chat.

"There is that pride, especially at being an indigenous person and especially when I go back home to the Northern Rivers and everybody comes up and says 'hello'.

"Of course with that comes the pressure to behave yourself. You don't want to muck up."

Anticipation is growing as to when coach John Cartwright will give Walker his top grade debut.

However Walker admits an injury-plagued season in the Toyota Cup has not helped his NRL cause. He has battled hip, wrist and hand ailments.

"Of course the dream to play NRL is as strong as ever," he said. "But that is up to Carty and it will come when it comes.

"Carty just says to keep fit. I just have to have a clear run and play good footy.

"This season has not gone how I wanted it to go because of injuries.

"That puts a bit of pressure on and it also eats at your confidence.

"But as plenty of people have told me: `Don't drop off and hang your head. Just keep playing good footy'."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

craigyd
08-05-08, 10:16 AM
a good signing for Titans,i agree with JC not giving him a sniff at NRL yet,
His style of play may fool the young kids but the old heads will have his measure(if they can catch him),he plays with a lot of ease and a natural talent ,once he stops being so casual and plays more direct he will be dynamite.
Just hope he doesnt read his own press,your only as good as your last game.

TITAN PETE
08-05-08, 11:29 AM
Future Superstar but he won't get a 1st grade run in 08' :nope:

Tamwelg
08-05-08, 11:49 AM
That's great news and he will be a future star, but as others have said, he's not quite ready and I think Carty feels the same, as he has hinted in a few articles.

You never know with a call up to the NRL, with Petersen now gone, Prince a good possibilty at making the Origin and Atkins possibly still injured, maybe Campbell to number 7, Bowen to 1 and Walker on the wing.

TITAN PETE
08-05-08, 02:32 PM
That's great news and he will be a future star, but as others have said, he's not quite ready and I think Carty feels the same, as he has hinted in a few articles.

You never know with a call up to the NRL, with Petersen now gone, Prince a good possibilty at making the Origin and Atkins possibly still injured, maybe Campbell to number 7, Bowen to 1 and Walker on the wing.

Sounds good but Walker won't get a start in front of Rapana :thumbsup:

patskE
08-05-08, 05:19 PM
jsut read on foxsports thats walker is very close
its been said bown will be giving 1st shoot to replace peterson then walker would be given a go

Walker set for debut

By Karl deKroo
May 08, 2008

GOLD Coast fans may not have to wait much longer to see talented speedster Shannon Walker weave his magic in the NRL.

Following the sudden departure of the club's leading try-scorer Matt Petersen to Wakefield in England, Titans coach John Cartwright is thought to be close to unleashing Walker, 19 - at least in a bench capacity.

Brenton Bowen will be given first shot at filling Petersen's right-wing spot, but Walker, who has re-signed with the Titans until the end of 2010, is knocking at the door of his senior debut after five tries in as many games in the Toyota Cup.

"Shannon is an incredible prospect and is on his way towards representing the club at NRL level in the near future," Titans managing director Michael Searle said.

Walker said he was pleased to settle his future on the Gold Coast, just two hours drive from his family home in Kyogle.

no mention of rapana petey

chop76
08-05-08, 06:11 PM
from what i can gather, off the field he's just a shy kid but on the football field is where he can release. i agree he does get the dropsies but that can be trained out of him. he just needs to practice until ball security comes before the magic. i predict that he'll thrive on exposure. imagine walker following laffranchi and minichiello through the middle, in front of a packed skilled park on a saturday night. i can't wait. he should definately play on the wing until his defence vastly improves though. he looks like a strong kid, i think he'd defends better on the wing. plus i reckon presto havin a ball at fullback. leave him there as long as he wants.

Chaos
08-05-08, 08:14 PM
from what i can gather, off the field he's just a shy kid but on the football field is where he can release. i agree he does get the dropsies but that can be trained out of him. he just needs to practice until ball security comes before the magic. i predict that he'll thrive on exposure. imagine walker following laffranchi and minichiello through the middle, in front of a packed skilled park on a saturday night. i can't wait. he should definately play on the wing until his defence vastly improves though. he looks like a strong kid, i think he'd defends better on the wing. plus i reckon presto havin a ball at fullback. leave him there as long as he wants.

There's only one thing an opposition coach would be thinking while playing against Preston and Walker together...Bombs!

patskE
08-05-08, 10:08 PM
tbh preston under the high ball latey has been great

TITAN PETE
08-05-08, 10:29 PM
Preston has been 1 of our most consistent players this year & won't be replaced by Walker for sometime yet :nope: , when Shannon gets his shot it should be on the wing but i don't think it will be in 08' unless there's major injuries to the backs ;) , even then Rapana would be my 1st choice ;)

But well done to Searle for signing the Future Star :D

Paul
09-05-08, 06:44 AM
Rapana>Walker.....

Walker is a good resigning though

TITAN PETE
09-05-08, 08:09 AM
Rapana>Walker.....

Walker is a good resigning though

AGREE 100% :fist: :fist: :fist:

Massive_Weno
09-05-08, 09:17 AM
There's only one thing an opposition coach would be thinking while playing against Preston and Walker together...Bombs!

That is what opposition coaches have been doing all year to our incumbent players and where several of our points have been conceded. Jeffery is suspect under the high ball, Atkins wasn't exactly safe and Peterson made mistakes. Preston has been by far the safest player for us so far.

IMO bringing in Walker would be no different to the other wingers but his attacking prowess would certainly add something to the team.

jenwood
09-05-08, 01:43 PM
Just remember these guys are human- they do make mistakes! Even Locky and Andrew Johns make(made) mistakes but they are still champions. Give them a break-they are all doing a great job for the Titans!!!!

craigyd
09-05-08, 03:01 PM
That is what opposition coaches have been doing all year to our incumbent players and where several of our points have been conceded. Jeffery is suspect under the high ball, Atkins wasn't exactly safe and Peterson made mistakes. Preston has been by far the safest player for us so far.

IMO bringing in Walker would be no different to the other wingers but his attacking prowess would certainly add something to the team.
dont forget Zilman in the mix next year,so Zillman,Presto,Walker,Walker,Rapana,Atkins,Jeffrie s and Bowen.
Nice to have players fighting for positions

titanstattman
09-05-08, 03:03 PM
dont forget Zilman in the mix next year,so Zillman,Presto,Walker,Walker,Rapana,Atkins,Jeffrie s and Bowen.
Nice to have players fighting for positions

Yeah but not only that hav a look at they talent :banana:

Chaos
09-05-08, 06:16 PM

Preston has been one of our best players recently but certainly not our safest.
His two best games contained dropping sitters.
We just can't use Preston and another small, suspect winger at the same time.
Walker will need support when blooded and I thought Peterson may have helped him there but Peterson is leaving and Walker is a long way off playing NRL.