PDA

View Full Version : Sharks release Nutley, move for Thompson

Teegy
23-11-05, 02:44 PM
from smh.com.au

Cronulla Sharks boss Steve Rogers is to meet Dragons discard Lance Thompson to negotiate a deal for next NRL season.

Cronulla have finalised the release of State of Origin forward Danny Nutley, who has accepted a lucrative two-year contract with English club Castleford.

The club had earlier indicated Nutley's release was contingent on agreeing terms with Thompson, but Rogers has signed the release papers.

"The Nutley thing is a done deal. It was completed this morning," Rogers told AAP.

Rogers now heads off to another meeting in which he is looking to add Thompson to the roster for 2006, despite saying last week that the Sharks were content to bring on their own young players.

Nutley's move has changed all that.

"He has been offered a quite exceptional two-year deal in the UK," Rogers told radio station 2KY.

"He's been a great servant to the club in his time with us, and now he has an opportunity to set up himself and his young family.

"Danny is on the other side of 30, and whilst he's still a great competitor, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him."

Rogers said it had not been an easy decision, and he denied it would set a precedent for players to get a release simply because they've been offered more money somewhere else.

"It's one of those where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't," he said.

"I'm not about to be letting players go willy nilly. I've spoken long and hard to [coach] Stuart Raper. I've spoken at length to Danny about it, and last night for a couple of hours with my board about it.

"At the end of the day I'm thinking about the player and his future.

"You've got a very limited time in this game as I can certainly attest to.

"Danny was most sincere in his approach to the club. He hasn't been on huge money. Danny was in England when the Super League thing happened and he came over here on a very modest contract.

"He's worked his way to a situation where he's earning reasonable money.

"We've got a one-year-deal, he's been offered a two-year deal [from Castleford].

"Even if I was to say to Danny I'll sign you for another year, we still wouldn't be within cooee of where it is financially."

DIEHARD
23-11-05, 02:45 PM
I was hoping he would go to the Bunnies.

Dakink
23-11-05, 02:47 PM
Yea - me too.

He lives near Sharkies territory though so it's not to surprising

Super Cronk
23-11-05, 02:54 PM
Didnt think he would head off to england. Altho he is "on the other side of 30" he still has a bit of footy left in him. He will do well over there tho.

Teegy
23-11-05, 02:55 PM
Didnt think he would head off to england. Altho he is "on the other side of 30" he still has a bit of footy left in him. He will do well over there tho.
hes only 27.

Super Cronk
23-11-05, 03:05 PM
hes only 27.

What i quoted in my post was what was siad in the article you posted. I might have mis-read it tho.

Teegy
23-11-05, 03:07 PM
That was Danny Nutleys age. not Thommo.

Danny is over 30
Thommo is 27

Super Cronk
23-11-05, 03:08 PM
That was Danny Nutleys age. not Thommo.

Danny is over 30
Thommo is 27

yeah...i was referring to nutley in my post.

Teegy
23-11-05, 03:09 PM
Sorry about that. i misread

Sharks
23-11-05, 03:17 PM
it is a sad day for all sharks fans,just when we thought all the turmoil had been sorted it appears that it was only swept under the rug.Nutley was our best player in 05 and was a complete leader and asset.Dykes appears to be bailing out too.You can afford to lose a forward here and there but if Dykes leaves that will leave Cronulla with no experienced utility.We thought Chris Anderson made a meal of cronulla Raper is guilty of the same doing.

Ipswich Fan
23-11-05, 04:05 PM
It is good to see Thpson picked up by another club & with it being Cronulla means he doesn't have to move at all. Nutley will be a big loss for the Sharks & will certainly be hard to replace.

Kallan
23-11-05, 05:35 PM
Nutley will definately be a big loss for the Sharks, Thommo may have found a club, good for him.

Steelers
23-11-05, 09:18 PM
Can't wait till the local derby ;)

Super Cronk
23-11-05, 10:39 PM
Cronulla coach Stuart Raper says he is confident Lance Thompson will sign with the Sharks after the club held talks with the former St George Illawarra back rower on Wednesday.

rest of the article:

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200511/s1515335.htm

Steelers
23-11-05, 10:42 PM
Cronulla coach Stuart Raper says he is confident Lance Thompson will sign with the Sharks after the club held talks with the former St George Illawarra back rower on Wednesday.

rest of the article:

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200511/s1515335.htm

Considering that Cronulla is the only club in the NRL that wants him, I am sure that he will be a Shark next year.

DeeGan
24-11-05, 12:20 AM
Danny Nutley being lost from the Sharks will be their biggest loss since the retirement of Andrew Ettingshausen - yep, big call, but that is the quality of player they are losing albeit one who was underrated for the majority of his NRL career.

Nutley was one of my favourite players in the NRL and I admit to getting a little choked up when hearing him talk after learning he had made the QLD side last year for Origin 3 - he earnt even more respect from me when watching him bust his ass for us in a beaten side in that game, he went 100 miles hour from start to finish.

Any played who can average 130m give or take 10m a season plus add 20+ tackles is a special player and one that will not be replaced easily.

The signing of Thommo is now imperitive - losing Stevens, Nutley, Sullivan, Dykes and Peachey is a lot of veteran leadership gone from the team as well as alot of class.

DeeGan

Titanium_BD1103
24-11-05, 10:34 AM
That is a big shock to see Nutley leave but good sportsmanship by Cronulla to allow him to leave as they knew he deserved bigger money, as for losing Dykes that is a huge loss... :(

With Thompson joining them I reckon he will take Nutley's place in the side.. and Vagana will move to 5/8th permanently for the Sharks.. not sure who will take the centre place Vagana has left though... is Mellors still there.. maybe he can fill it.. :D :D

Super Cronk
24-11-05, 10:38 AM
There are reports today that Thompson will sign with sharks today.

Teegy
24-11-05, 10:39 AM
But its only a 1 year contract so he could be a chance of being a Titan in 2007

Dragons
24-11-05, 08:54 PM
The sharks need forwards and I though he would go there or England. Who else would want him besides Souths.

Sharks
24-11-05, 09:00 PM
Its more of a case of you save our a*& we will save yours.Sharks are on high emergency levels at the club and Lance is really the only forward on the market with experience under his belt.Cronulla doesnt just need a good young rookie forward to fill the void cause with Stevo and Nuts gooone it leaves only Ben Ross as the only veteran up front.

I'm not to disapointed about Lance coming to the Sharkies cause I rated him as a decent player at the Dragons.It could be worse cronulla could sign Darren Mapp! :satan:

Teegy
24-11-05, 09:01 PM
Its more of a case of you save our a*& we will save yours.Sharks are on high emergency levels at the club and Lance is really the only forward on the market with experience under his belt.Cronulla doesnt just need a good young rookie forward to fill the void cause with Stevo and Nuts gooone it leaves only Ben Ross as the only veteran up front.

I'm not to disapointed about Lance coming to the Sharkies cause I rated him as a decent player at the Dragons.It could be worse cronulla could sign Darren Mapp! :satan:
Cronulla did sign Darren Mapp didn't they?????????

Super Cronk
24-11-05, 10:42 PM
Cronulla did sign Darren Mapp didn't they?????????

yep...but i think he was being sarcastic.