PDA

View Full Version : Centenary Test: Australian Kangaroos vs New Zealand Kiwis

DIEHARD
27-02-08, 09:59 PM
http://www.centenaryofrugbyleague.com.au/media/18486/corl%20cent%20test%20flat%20fc%20pos_160px.jpg

Centenary Test: Australian Kangaroos vs New Zealand Kiwis

Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney; Friday 9th May, 7:30PM

EVENT DETAILS
4.15pm: Members and Public gates open
4.25pm: Preliminary 1 game - U16s Indigenous Match NSW v QLD
5.50pm: Preliminary 2 game - Defence Force Match Army v Navy
8.00pm: Centenary Test Match - Australia v New Zealand
10.00pm: Approximate event completion

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9703/lg190820jerseyqo0.jpg

KANGAROOS

1. Billy Slater
2. Greg Inglis
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Brent Kite
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Carl Webb
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Willie Mason
17. Kurt Gidley

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4982/small20golds20jerseyfx4.jpg

KIWIS

1 BRENT WEBB
2 JASON NIGHTINGALE
3 SETAIMATA SA
4 IOSIA SOLIOLA
5 SAM PERRETT
6 BEN ROBERTS
7 THOMAS LEULUAI
8 ROY ASOTASI (C)
9 ISSAC LUKE
10 NATHAN CAYLESS
11 SONNY BILL WILLIAMS
12 SIMON MANNERING
13 DAVID FA’ALOGO

14 JEREMY SMITH
15 DENE HALATAU
16 ADAM BLAIR
17 FRANK PRITCHARD

Robbie_Dee
27-04-08, 04:54 PM
ABC radio just a minute ago.

1. Billy Slater
2. Greg Inglis
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Brent Kite
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Carl Webb
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Willie Mason
17. Kurt Gidley

great team :thumbsup:

Paul
27-04-08, 05:03 PM
What does prince have to do to get into this team. he's been head and shoulders above thurston all year and Lockyer has played ONE full game (and was a passenger for the majority of it). I would of had a Thurston/Prince halves with them alternating

and Carl webb???? WTF give me a break

RLfan
27-04-08, 05:06 PM
Really? Paul Gallen. Since when does playing average and getting suspended earn you an Australian jersey?

Suppose Ricky Stuart is the coach. Laffranchi, Minichello, Thaiday, Glenn Stewart and Johnson have all benn playing 100x better then him. Gallen isn't even incumbent.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Otherwise good team.

Capital_Shark
27-04-08, 05:10 PM
Thurston was always gonna be at 7 and Lockyer at 6.

What does Prince need to do to make the team? There is nothing he can do but wait. Wait for Locky to retire from rep footy 1 of the 2 get injured.

Webb and Hoffman are ridiculous selections.

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-04-08, 05:19 PM
Carl Webb?????????????how did that powederpuff get a bench spot, when u have players like Laffranchi playing his heart out and can fill both prop and second row.

But all in all its a good squad a very potent backline, if both gasnier and hodges fire, you can see Falou and inglis getting a lot of ball from impossible offloads.

I'm just waiting for the city vs country team

Chaos
27-04-08, 05:34 PM
I'm also surprised with Webb's inclusion but it's an awesome side and I can't see them getting beat.

TITAN PETE
27-04-08, 06:01 PM
What a great decision to award Slater with the fullback job but how does the Current no1 Player in the game in Prince miss a start :mad: but that was almost expected so can someone tell me how Laffranchi coudn't make the 17 ahead of Hoffman,Webb or Gallen that is absolute Bullsh#t
How did Kite & Webb get a start ahead of Hannant :(

Even you Capitol Shark were probably shocked to see Gallen grab a spot but i think we can see how much say Ricky Stuart has in the selections he must have a dislike for the Titans but as the saying goes "If you can't Beat Em Hate Em" & "Don't Pick Em" :cry:

TITAN PETE
27-04-08, 06:03 PM
I'm also surprised with Webb's inclusion but it's an awesome side and I can't see them getting beat.

The Titans would beat them , oh yeah we just did :fist:

Grimmace
27-04-08, 06:04 PM
How did Webb and Kite get in the side........ even Ryles has been in better form, surely we arent that short on front rowers.

Chaos
27-04-08, 06:10 PM
How did Webb and Kite get in the side........ even Ryles has been in better form, surely we arent that short on front rowers.

When choosing the side...front row was the hardest to pick...no-one stands out.

Timmy Titans
27-04-08, 06:14 PM
Now really what does prince need to do

Lockyer at halves:mad: :mad:

Although it isn't as bad as the last Australian team

DIEHARD
28-04-08, 06:22 AM
It's a pretty damn good team over all.

But Prince and Laffranchi missing is a disgrace!

I have no idea how Webb and Kite got in.

They need to start picking the Aussie team on for. The best players in the best and toughest football competition in the world. The Kangaroos would have it over the cricket and union if it was picked on form!

Prnce missing is such a disgrace! How exciting would it be if they actually picked the side on form!!

Of course I think the captain should be offered more leeway.

Big J
28-04-08, 09:00 AM
I'm glad I am not the only one who think that Brent Kite is a joke. How he consistently gets picked for rep teams is beyond me.

A couple of times I've watched Manly play and had to ask my mate (who is a Manly supporter) if he is even on the field?? If there isn't 10 better front rowers in the game at the moment I'll give it away...:fight: :fight: :fight:

kwigibo
28-04-08, 04:29 PM
It's a pretty damn good team over all.

But Prince and Laffranchi missing is a disgrace!

I have no idea how Webb and Kite got in.

Gallen? Gallen!?!?

quins rl
28-04-08, 04:33 PM
Sorry to sound like an echo here lads,im a Pom so i guess my opinion means squat to most of you,but Brent Kite??? What has he got on Ricky Stuart?? He wouldnt get in the GB/England side,seriously!!;) .Being biased as a Titans fan i was sure Scotty would get in ahead of Thurston,who admittedly has raised his game,but Princey has been the best so far this season,he must be asking himself what he has to do??
Would you guys agree this is one of the weakest looking Aussie packs for a long time??

Chaos
28-04-08, 07:40 PM
Would you guys agree this is one of the weakest looking Aussie packs for a long time??

Not really!
Besides Kite who you have already mentioned, Petro has always been there, Gallon and Bird are smashing there opponents, Hoffman is running great lines and they've picked a bench that will make a big impack.

Hard to compare our forwards to our backline though...potentially one of the best back lines ever.

Titanium_BD1103
28-04-08, 07:49 PM
Webb got picked as Ricky said he wanted aggression, and Carl brings that in spades.

TBH, besides Kite, who I still don't rate highly enough for a starting spot, the rest of the team is either given reason for being in there, or deserves to be in there.

I have no problem with Gallen, a lot of you I think are filthy about what he did a few weeks ago, but if you don't look at that and look back at the past year he's been a consistent performer in the second row and IMO deserves the spot... Hoffman is lucky to be there, and I think is there for his combination than anything else.

I agree Scotty is extremely unlucky to miss out, but as CS said, it was obvious if Locky got through his game on Friday he'd be there, and Thurston was always going to be 7... sadly Scott will just have to keep plugging away, sooner or later he'll get there.

The side should do the job against the Kiwis, too much strike power in that backline... will be awesome to watch them all again.. :)

Titanium_BD1103
28-04-08, 10:51 PM
Well for all Titans fans... here's some saving grace and great news... Anthony Laffranchi has been named 18th Man... :D

Laffranchi ready for Test challenge
April 29, 2008

COUNTRY workhorse Anthony Laffranchi said he was happy to play 320 minutes of football in just seven days after learning he will be named as Australia's 18th man.

The Gold Coast backrower admitted he was disappointed with his non-selection in the Centenary Test team but now is just one injury away from playing against New Zealand on May 9.

The prospect of playing three games in a week holds no fears for the NRL ironman who has made 89 hit-ups in just seven games for the Gold Coast.

"I'd play five games in five days if it meant getting the opportunity to play for Australia," Laffranchi said.

"Obviously I was disappointed on Sunday night but the selectors have their own opinions. They went the other way and it has just made me hungrier."

The 17 named in the Kangaroos side on Sunday night still have to make it through club matches this weekend.

"I really would love to see how Ricky gets an Australian team prepared (and) I would love to be a part of it," Laffranchi said.

"But right now I am focused on doing my job for Country this weekend."

Laffranchi said he will have no problem moving up to the front row on Friday night for the WIN Stadium clash.

"I am in tight for the Titans and it is a yardage game," Laffranchi said. "I still have the second-phase game and I think that is what Laurie Daley is looking at. I am excited about the challenge ahead and I want to get my hands on that Blues jumper."

Congrats to Anthony on a well deserved call up and if he gets his chance, I am sure he will do the blue and maroon proud... :)

Capital_Shark
29-04-08, 06:24 PM
I have no problem with Gallen, a lot of you I think are filthy about what he did a few weeks ago, but if you don't look at that and look back at the past year he's been a consistent performer in the second row and IMO deserves the spot.

Bias aside, I agree. Also there are so many excellent back rowers running around in the comp now you could pull a fair argument for a lot of blokes being unlucky to miss out. Can't pick 'em all.

Brent Kite??? What has he got on Ricky Stuart??

The coach doesn't pick the team. He gives some input on what sort of team he'd like given how he's looking at playing the game, this time he wants aggression, but that just further rules out Kite I'd think. I'd point the finger at the silver tail on the panel when questioning Kite's call up.

They need to start picking the Aussie team on for. The best players in the best and toughest football competition in the world. The Kangaroos would have it over the cricket and union if it was picked on form!

The Kangaroos have hardly struggled in the past decade.

DIEHARD
29-04-08, 06:27 PM
The Kangaroos have hardly struggled in the past decade.

I'm not talking about performance wise. I'm talking about promotion. I believe it would be a huge attraction to have a representative team picked truly off form. Something other sports don't really have.

Paul
29-04-08, 07:00 PM
I'm not talking about performance wise. I'm talking about promotion. I believe it would be a huge attraction to have a representative team picked truly off form. Something other sports don't really have.

But then it wouldn't be fair on players who had a good rep game about 3 years ago & who should own the shirt until they retire or get hurt :p

I detest all this incumbant(sp?) stuff. The players who are playing the house down this season should get picked or whats the point? I'll use Prince as an example again. What is the motivation for him to play the house down week in/week out,player of the season so far,top of the dally m list etc when he knows nothing short of an injury or suspension will get him in the team

Obviously he wants to do well for the titans & thats why he'll keep being the best player in the NRL (in my opinion) but there is no incentive for players to put in that extra few percent to earn a rep jersey

Capital_Shark
29-04-08, 07:00 PM

Who says the majority of that squad isn't picked on form? All depends on what time frame they're picking on.

Capital_Shark
29-04-08, 07:05 PM
But then it wouldn't be fair on players who had a good rep game about 3 years ago & who should own the shirt until they retire or get hurt :p

I detest all this incumbant(sp?) stuff. The players who are playing the house down this season should get picked or whats the point? I'll use Prince as an example again. What is the motivation for him to play the house down week in/week out,player of the season so far,top of the dally m list etc when he knows nothing short of an injury or suspension will get him in the team

Obviously he wants to do well for the titans but there is no incentive for players to put in that extra few percent to earn a rep jersey

You answered your own question mate. The incentive is their team winning more often than not. The last thing you want is bloke who peaks around rep time and is average when theres no extras to play for. Believe me, Sharkies have had one at 7 for donkey's.

Paul
29-04-08, 07:12 PM
The incentive is their team winning more often than not. T.

Then why isn't there a Titan anywhere in the 17?

I'm not saying they do it merely to get the rep jersey,I'm saying players who consistantly have 9/10 or 10/10 performances every single week yet still get overlooked

I wouldn't have a problem with Gallen in the team except he hasn't played since the titans game and like it's been said there are many players who could fit in easily to the back row and have been playing as well as Gallen all season

The city team is the worst one though,How Luke Lewis got picked in the second row I will never know, has he even played at all this year? and he's a centre/winger

A team should be picked on form

Coaster
29-04-08, 07:15 PM
If anyone should have been there it should have been Thaiday.

If he is not a better player then Webb, ill eat my keyboard.

Paul
29-04-08, 07:23 PM

you could put 15 players in front of that lump who deserve to be there more

Capital_Shark
29-04-08, 08:08 PM
I'm never too disappointed if the current season's form players miss out on the ANZAC test to incumbents. Yes they're the form players of the season, but the season only 7 weeks old. Slater played himself into the team over Stewart (who certainly didn't play himself out of the team) but I think he got some help from Stewart being somewhat a 'replacement' for a 1 off game last season full of other 'replacements'. Thurston on the other hand has owned that jersey, owned the 2007 comp in a lot of people's eyes as well as forged a winning State and Country halves combination with Lockyer who was always gonna be picked if he could run.

I totally understand your feelings about Gallen. He played 4 and sat 3 out on the back of raw idiocy WHILE parading as the skipper of his team. Did have a big one last Sunday an hour before the selectors met, which might have played in his favour along with them looking for aggression. I'm a Sharks fan but I don't have blinkers on. It'd be fair to say his aggression and connection to the coach got him over the line in what would have been a very tough decision I'm glad I didn't have to make. I would have raised an eyebrow if Bird didn't make it though. Love him or hate him he's gotta be the best choice 13 or even bench for his versatility.

Chaos
29-04-08, 08:36 PM
If anyone should have been there it should have been Thaiday.

Maybe Stuart wants to start an old fashion blew...that's the only reason you'd pick Webb over Thaiday.

Webb certainly is the surprise inclusion...I'd pick him for an Origin side but give the Australian jersey to somebody thats earnt it.

Paul
29-04-08, 09:17 PM
I totally understand your feelings about Gallen. He played 4 and sat 3 out on the back of raw idiocy WHILE parading as the skipper of his team. Did have a big one last Sunday an hour before the selectors met, which might have played in his favour along with them looking for aggression. I'm a Sharks fan but I don't have blinkers on. It'd be fair to say his aggression and connection to the coach got him over the line in what would have been a very tough decision I'm glad I didn't have to make. I would have raised an eyebrow if Bird didn't make it though. Love him or hate him he's gotta be the best choice 13 or even bench for his versatility.

I know I'm probably coming across as being completely one eyed for the titans players but watching the guys I've mentioned week in/week out I can really see how deserving they are.

I don't even mind that Gallen was suspended for a silly thing & wouldn't mind if he'd been there playing all season,It's just the fact he's been out for so long while other equally as good back rowers have been producing the goods for 7 weeks. I'm glad Bird made it though,He's been head and shoulders above any other Cronulla player and fully deserves his place.

At the end of the day the aussies will smash them into embarassment again and people will use that as a justification of the selection but it could be more exciting and much better watching blokes who are right on top of their game at the moment.

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-04-08, 10:03 PM
I got into an argument with a broncos supporter last year when hornby replaced thruston or lockyer in a test and i said well his form has earned that, and they were like well lockyer/thurston is a proven perfromer. Gopt into same argument again as i don't think lockyer should be in the team (apart from promotional reasons)

I can see both sides of the argument, i'm all for giving incumbents their jeresy as long as they have been playing football and it isn't terrible, i mean what good would it be giving thurston a jersey if he was playing like crap based on his form last year, it could mean the difference between a close win or a close lose.

Having said that the only player i would drop is Locky, hes played one 80min game all year, and is excpected to face a big solid kiwi test team and hes done nothing brilliant this year, thurston whilst no where near princes form has started to hit his straps for the last few weeks and deserves his spot.

But id rather give ryles a test jersey than webb, at least ryles numbers this year are good and he brings aggression, webb has only hit decent form last couple weeks.

qld power
30-04-08, 03:51 PM
Crowds ignore Centenary Test - 30 April 2008
It is billed as the game of the century but in a stinging insult to rugby league's proud history, Sydney fans are set to snub Friday week's Centenary match. In the ultimate public embarrassment for rugby league, given the hype and prestige of the 100-year anniversary Test against New Zealand, up to 10,000 barren seats are expected at the SCG on May 9. The history-steeped ground has a 40,000-plus capacity, but ARL officials last night conceded a crowd of more than 30,000 would be a "great result". ARL chief executive Geoff Carr denies anything short of a sellout is unacceptable for the historic clash...(more) Source: Courier Mail, 30 April 2008
good to see the nsw fans are once again letting the side down with the crowd size so far

qld power
30-04-08, 03:55 PM
Vodafone Warriors second rower Simon Mannering and utility Lance Hohaia have both been named in a 19-man Pirtek Kiwis squad for the Centenary Test against Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground on May 9.
They're joined by three newcomers who are in line to play their first test - South Sydney hooker Issac Luke, St George Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale and Sydney Roosters utility Setaimata Sa.
Hawera-born Luke (20) graduates to the Kiwi squad after making his NRL debut for the Rabbitohs last June while Sydney-born Nightingale (21), whose parents are New Zealanders, first appeared at first-grade level last May. He has scored five tries in seven matches for the Dragons this season and 12 in 23 matches in all.
Sa (20), who hails from Christchurch, had his first taste of NRL football for the Roosters on Anzac Day 2006. Sa and Luke are both former Junior Kiwis.
While Luke, Nightingale and Sa are all new to the squad, several recent Kiwis have been recalled including 16-test fullback Brent Webb (Leeds), who missed all six tests last year. The only other player named from an English Super League club is Wigan halfback Thomas Leuluai, used in last year?s series against Great Britain and in the one-off test against France in Paris.
Centre Iosia Soliola, prop Nathan Cayless, loose forward David Fa?alogo and second rower Sonny Bill Williams are all back in the side after last appearing in the Kiwi jersey in the 2007 Anzac Test.
Melbourne prop Adam Blair is back after playing four times in the 2006 Tri Nations campaign but missing much of last season through injury.
Apart from Leuluai, other players retained from last year?s tour to Britain and France are Roy Asotasi (South Sydney), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Lance Hohaia (Warriors), Simon Mannering (Warriors), Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters), Frank Pritchard (Penrith), Ben Roberts (Bulldogs) and Jeremy Smith (Melbourne). Joining them is South Sydney veteran David Kidwell, who left the tour early for personal reasons.
Asotasi will again captain the Pirtek Kiwis after leading them in each of their six tests in 2007. The playing line-up will be confirmed when the team assembles in Sydney next week.
The full squad is:

ROY ASOTASI (Captain)
(South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Born: January 6, 1982
Height: 184cm
Weight: 103kg
Position: Prop
Junior Club: Marist (Auckland)
Other NRL Clubs: Bulldogs (2002-2006)
Tests: 22 (2004-2007)
NRL Games: 116 (2002-2008)

ADAM BLAIR
(Melbourne Storm)
Born: March 20, 1986
Height: 188cm
Weight: 106kg
Junior Club: Northland Carvers (Northland)
Other NRL Clubs: Nil
Tests: 4 (2006)
NRL Games: 31 (2006-2008)

NATHAN CAYLESS
(Parramatta Eels)
Born: March 28, 1978
Height: 185cm
Weight: 106kg
Junior Club: Wentworthville (Sydney)
Tests: 33 (1998-2007)
NRL Games: 192 (1997-2008)

DAVID FA?ALOGO
(South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Born: September 9, 1980
Height: 180cm
Weight: 104kg
Position: Second row
Junior Club: Mt Albert (Auckland)
Tests: 6 (2006-2007)
NRL Games: 101 (2003-2008)

DENE HALATAU
(Wests Tigers)
Born: January 27, 1983
Height: 178m
Weight: 90kg
Position: Hooker
Junior Club: North Ryde (Sydney)
Tests: 12 (2004-2007)
NRL Games: 93 (2003-2008)

LANCE HOHAIA
(Warriors)
Born: April 1, 1983
Height: 175cm
Weight: 86kg
Position: Utility
Junior Club: Taniwharau (Waikato)
Tests: 10 (2002-2007)
First-grade Games: 101 (2002-2008)

DAVID KIDWELL
(South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Born: April 23, 1977
Height: 188cm
Weight: 104kg
Junior Club: Hornby Panthers (Christchurch)
Other Clubs: Adelaide (1997-1998), Parramatta (1999-2000), Warrington (2001), Sydney Roosters (2002), Melbourne (2003-2006)
Tests: 24 (1999-2006)
First-grade NRL Games: 209 (1997-2008)
? First-grade games includes appearances for Warrington in 2000-2001

THOMAS LEULUAI
(Wigan Warriors)
Born: June 22, 1985
Height: 176cm
Weight: 85kg
Position: Halfback
Junior Club: Otahuhu (Auckland)
Other Clubs: Warriors (2003-2004), London Broncos (2005), Harlequins (2005-2006)
Tests: 11 (2003-2007)
First-grade Games: 98 (2003-2008)
? First-grade games includes appearances for London Broncos, Harlequins and Wigan 2005-2008

ISSAC LUKE
(South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Born: May 29, 1987
Height: 174cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Hooker
Junior Club: Hawera Hawks (Taranaki)
Tests: 0
NRL Games: 18 (2007-2008)

SIMON MANNERING
(Warriors)
Born: August 28, 1986
Height: 190cm
Weight: 101kg
Position: Second row/Loose forward
Junior Club: Wellington Orcas (Wellington)
Tests: 11 (2006-2007)
NRL Games: 57 (2005-2008)

JASON NIGHTINGALE
(St George Illawarra Dragons)
Born: September 20, 1986
Height: 183cm
Weight: 91kg
Position: Winger
Junior Club: Renown United (Sydney)
NRL Games: 23 (2007-2008)

SAM PERRETT
(Sydney Roosters)
Born: May 14, 1985
Height: 182cm
Weight: 92kg
Position: Fullback
Junior Club: Burleigh Bears (Queensland)
Tests: 4 (2007)
NRL Games: 51 (2004-2008)

FRANK PRITCHARD
(Penrith Panthers)
Born: November 3, 1983
Height: 189cm
Weight: 109kg
Junior Club: Campbelltown City (Sydney)
Tests: 13 (2005-2007)
NRL Games: 90 (2003-2008)

BEN ROBERTS
(Bulldogs)
Born: July 8, 1985
Height: 180cm
Weight: 90kg
Position: Standoff
Junior Club: Narellan Jets (Sydney)
Tests: 5 (2006-2007)
NRL Games: 34 (2006-2008)

SETAIMATA SA
(Sydney Roosters)
Born: September 14, 1987
Weight: 101kg
Position: Centre/Standoff
Junior Club: Papanui Tigers (Christchurch)
NRL Games: 33 (2006-2008)

JEREMY SMITH
(Melbourne Storm)
Born: April 14, 1980
Height: 184cm
Weight: 100kg
Junior Club: Runaway Bay (Queensland)
Tests: 5 (2007)
NRL Games: 47 (2004-2008)

IOSIA SOLIOLA
(Sydney Roosters)
Born: August 4, 1986
Weight: 100kg
Position: Centre
Junior Club: Ponsonby (Auckland)
Tests: 6 (2006-2007)
NRL Games: 57 (2004-2008)

BRENT WEBB
(Leeds Rhinos)
Born: November 11, 1980
Height: 175cm
Weight: 83kg
Position: Fullback
Junior Club: Cairns Kangaroos (Queensland)
Other Clubs: Warriors (2002-2006)
Tests: 16 (2004-2006)
First-grade Games: 137 (2002-2008)
? First-grade games includes appearances for Warriors 2002-2006 and Leeds Rhinos 2007-2008

SONNY BILL WILLIAMS
(Bulldogs)
Born: August 3, 1985
Height: 191cm
Weight: 105kg
Position: Loose forward/second row
Junior Club: Marist (Auckland)
Tests: 6 (2004-2007)
NRL Games: 68 (2004-2008)

Click here to view the archive ?

Supplied by REALSPORTS

DIEHARD
01-05-08, 12:30 AM
It's a big call to name Webb and Leuluai. But I back them up, international football will never amount to anything without all the best players being available.

Scheduling is another issue.

Your move Wigan and Leeds... Please do what is right for rugby league, especially in this World Cup year.

Grimmace
01-05-08, 01:51 PM
Looks like N.Z is going to invoke a clause banning Webb and leulai playing for their english clubs:

Kiwis take on Super League clubs
By Dave Donaghy
May 01, 2008

NEW Zealand are headed towards a club-versus-country showdown after two English Super League players were picked in the Kiwis squad for the Centenary Test against Australia on May 9.

Brent Webb from Leeds and Thomas Leuluai from Wigan were named in Stephen Kearney's first squad as Kiwis coach - while Webb's club boss reiterated his reluctance to release the star full-back.

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington said the Rhinos didn't want to release Webb with a Challenge Cup match against London-based Harlequins to be played on the same weekend.

Wigan, who play national league side Whitehaven in the fifth round, are understood to have told Kearney they would take a similar stance with Leuluai.

But Kearney appears set to play hardball and, the New Zealand Rugby League is likely to invoke a clause banning players for five days either side of a Test should their club stop them participating in an international.

That would rule both Webb and Leuluai out of their clubs' Challenge Cup games - regardless of whether or not they play in the Test.

"We made contact with them last week in the knowledge that the situation was going to come up," Kearney said.

"They told us the next day that they weren't willing to release the players. So that's why we've gone down that path. They're players that want to represent their country and as coach of the side I'm prepared to do everything to get them back."

Kearney, an assistant to Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy, said he hoped to have the situation sorted before the weekend.

Storm have two players - forwards Jeremy Smith and Adam Blair - named in the 19-man squad.

Blair has not played for New Zealand since the 2006 Tri-Nations.

He and Smith take the number of Storm players picked for the Test to seven after Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Ryan Hoffman and Billy Slater were selected in the Australia team.

Source: Herald sun

DIEHARD
01-05-08, 02:12 PM
I'm loving Kearny already! Good on him and the NZRL to play hardball with the Super League clubs. This needs to happen.

On the flip side NRL clubs need to be open to the future possibility of releasing English and French stars for their mid year Test Match.

jenwood
01-05-08, 03:42 PM
I think the NRL should give any Queensland fans who want to go free tickets!
Maybe we could take over the Jetstar Titans plane and arrive en masse from Qld!

Grimmace
04-05-08, 06:35 PM
Lockyer ruled out of Centenary Test

May 04, 2008 AUSTRALIA captain Darren Lockyer has been ruled out of Friday's Centenary Test against New Zealand with a knee injury.

More to follow.

AAP

Capital_Shark
04-05-08, 06:42 PM
What happens now? Laffranchi is 18th man. Does Stuart move Bird to 5/8 and bring Laffranchi into the second row? Or give QLD selectors a preview and bring Prince in?

He should do the latter. He will do the former.

Hoppy2007Dragons
04-05-08, 06:46 PM
I reckon he will bring in Prince, you would have to, mind you bird wouldn't let ya down at 5/8 either way i'm pumped, its a huge friday for me and this test will just be the icing on the cake.

Hoppy2007Dragons
04-05-08, 06:56 PM
Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart confirmed Greg Bird would move from lock to five-eighth with Melbourne backrower Michael Crocker coming into the 17-man squad, though there was no decision yet on who would start in the No.13 jumper.
source: www.ninemsn.com.au

Spot On CS.

Whilst i rate Bird, i see two outrages here, firstly prince being overlooked even with lockyer rubbed out and the fact that crocker has been brought into the squad over Laffranchi

Paul
04-05-08, 07:10 PM
what a joke.

Can't believe I'm going to say this but I REALLY, TRULY hope we lose

Too bad it won't happen

Capital_Shark
04-05-08, 07:43 PM
How does 18th man not get the call up?

Paul do you really think if Australia do lose everyone will be screaming about Prince's non-selection? If anything it'll be cause Lockyer didn't play. If your allegiances to a half back are greater than those to your country I don't think the Roos will miss your support.

Paul
04-05-08, 07:56 PM
How does 18th man not get the call up?

Paul do you really think if Australia do lose everyone will be screaming about Prince's non-selection? If anything it'll be cause Lockyer didn't play. If your allegiances to a half back are greater than those to your country I don't think the Roos will miss your support.

I'm a proud aussie but the RL national team can go **** itself until players who have earnt the right to play are there...and NO,not just titans players

I'll support the titans exclusively from now on

DIEHARD
04-05-08, 08:17 PM
I'm a proud aussie but the RL national team can go **** itself until players who have earnt the right to play are there...and NO,not just titans players

I'll support the titans exclusively from now on

Honestly I think that attitude is B.S :boo:

No matter how scandelous the selections are, which some are. Obviously the coach has all too much influence over the selections.

But I'm still travelling to Sydney for the Test. Trust me rugby league already has too many narrow minded and bitter fans, we don't need to add to the unwanted stockpile...

Paul
04-05-08, 08:31 PM
Don't care what anyone thinks mate, you're entitled to think that. Fair enough.Personally I think it's BS that everyone is just happy to sit back and take it on the chin when a team like this is named because of who they are and not because of how they've been playing

I've never cared much about internationals so to be honest I couldn't care less what the result is.Don't you ever get bored watching lop sided internationals? BORING

Ryan
04-05-08, 08:33 PM
Don't care what anyone thinks mate, you're entitled to think that. Fair enough.Personally I think it's BS that everyone is just happy to sit back and take it on the chin when a team like this is named because of who they are and not because of how they've been playing

I've never cared much about internationals so to be honest I couldn't care less what the result is.Don't you ever get bored watching lop sided internationals? BORING

If you've never cared so much about internationals, then why the big dummy spit?

:dummy:

Capital_Shark
04-05-08, 08:42 PM
If you've never cared so much about internationals, then why the big dummy spit?

Makes a good point.

And if they've got the side so wrong it shouldn't be a lop sided boring game.

mr jemo
04-05-08, 08:42 PM
i cant believe that they picked crocker boof was 18th man i hope ricky stuart wakes up to himself i for one know that when state of origin comes along laffranchi will kill it and force ricky to pick him for the world cup

Paul
04-05-08, 08:49 PM

Good point, I don't know actually. I suppose as a titans fan who has been watching prince/boof up close all season I feel sympathy for them. I felt the same way about Chris lawrence in the city/country game.

The selfish part of me is stoked that none of our players are going to get injured in the next flogging against the kiwis

Paul
04-05-08, 08:52 PM
Makes a good point.

And if they've got the side so wrong it shouldn't be a lop sided boring game.

The side will still smash the kiwis and I have never said they aren't good players. Just because australia has about 5 teams who could beat the NZ team doesn't mean they have selected the best team who have earned a spot this season.

TITAN PETE
04-05-08, 09:03 PM
What a load Bullsh#t :nope: , Boof is the Form Backrower of the whole Competition & on the back of his Man of the Match effort on Friday he deserved no he had the right to wear Test Jersey next week :mad:

hully gully
05-05-08, 06:12 PM
What a load Bullsh#t :nope: , Boof is the Form Backrower of the whole Competition & on the back of his Man of the Match effort on Friday he deserved no he had the right to wear Test Jersey next week :mad:

TOTALY AGREE WITH YOU PETE ALL I CAN SAY IS HE MUST HAVE PI##ED SOMEONE OFF HOW CAN THEY NOT SEE IT ,THANKS TO FITSGIBBON FOR HIS ACTIONS, OTHER WISE THEY WOULD PLAY HIM OUT OF POSITION!!!!!

Chaos
05-05-08, 08:05 PM
Australia has lined up one of the best back lines ever and Stuart is going to insert a running 5/8.
Imagine what a spectacle the Test could have been with Prince and Thurston setting up our outside backs...oh well...we'll just have to wait for Origin.

dee13
06-05-08, 03:58 PM
Its obviously WHO YOU KNOW and not what you know. Seriously, Darren Lockyer is one of the greats of the game, don't get me wrong, but, he did not deserve to be selected into the team in the first place. He has been injured all year and never looked like being fit enough to play. So why waste time in selecting him just because he is Dareen Lockyer.

DIEHARD
06-05-08, 05:35 PM
Putting Bird to 5/8th certainly helps New Zealand.

With Prince or Lockyer we would have probably played a sleeker game and with our amazing backline we'd have cut them to pieces.

Now we might be playing a game that better suits the Kiwis.

DIEHARD
06-05-08, 06:26 PM
http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/newsletter/2008/images/centenarytestmain.jpg

EVENT DETAILS
4.15pm: Members and Public gates open
4.25pm: Preliminary 1 game - U16s Indigenous Match NSW v QLD
8.00pm: Centenary Test Match - Australia v New Zealand
10.00pm: Approximate event completion

Capital_Shark
06-05-08, 07:12 PM
Putting Bird to 5/8th certainly helps New Zealand.

With Prince or Lockyer we would have probably played a sleeker game and with our amazing backline we'd have cut them to pieces.

Now we might be playing a game that better suits the Kiwis.

Suits the Kiwis? Fair enough some people have their knickers in a knot cause Prince didn't get the call up but your clutching at straws suggesting Bird at 5/8 could be Australia's downfall. He played 5/8 last year alongside a lesser halfback than JT and there was no shortage of backs scoring, or anyone in an Aussie jersey for that matter.

DIEHARD I wish for competitive International Rugby League as much as you do, but please stop being delusional. Australia could pick the 5th best in every position, give them the nod to play this Friday and they'd do the business.

Cowboy Titan
06-05-08, 08:31 PM
I heard on the radio today that only about 8000 tickets have been sold for this game. C'mon Sydney - if you think you're the home of Rugby League, it's time to prove you're worthy.

Hoppy2007Dragons
06-05-08, 08:50 PM

That its self is worth the admission, i wish i could afford afford the time and money to attend the test live.

Ryan
06-05-08, 09:05 PM
I heard on the radio today that only about 8000 tickets have been sold for this game. C'mon Sydney - if you think you're the home of Rugby League, it's time to prove you're worthy.

If they would accept pigs and goats for payment, they would sell more tickets in PNG!

Capital_Shark
06-05-08, 09:05 PM

Disgraceful, isn't it. Unfortunately not a surprise though, which puts less of a question mark over Sydney League fans and more of a question mark over why the hell the Administration elected to hold the match in a place notorious for no-shows.

Queensland would need half a day max to sell the majority of the 52,000 available tickets. NSW has had a month or something and 3 days out its looking like there will be 72,000 empty seats give or take a few last minute walk-ups.

Something must be done to ensure that fans willing to front up and fill stadiums aren't left watching it on the box because the game continues to hold some historic allegiances to other locations that can only cough up a handful of live support.

Bit of an off the cuff solution but I'll throw it out there:

Its gonna be between QLD and NSW for the big games. Prior to sealing the match into a venue, have each state register their interest. Pre-sell tickets to a game at Lang Park, and pre-sell tickets to the same game at whatever the hell their calling Homebush/Telstra/ANZ at the time. Lang Park gets 30,000 in a fortnight and Homebush/Telstra/ANZ gets 2,500 in a fortnight they refund those 2,500 and book Lang Park for the occasion. It'd be some extra leg work but something as special as a one in a hundred Centenary Test wouldn't be hosted in a near empty stadium.

daveyk
06-05-08, 10:27 PM
Its gonna be between QLD and NSW for the big games. Prior to sealing the match into a venue, have each state register their interest. Pre-sell tickets to a game at Lang Park, and pre-sell tickets to the same game at whatever the hell their calling Homebush/Telstra/ANZ at the time. Lang Park gets 30,000 in a fortnight and Homebush/Telstra/ANZ gets 2,500 in a fortnight they refund those 2,500 and book Lang Park for the occasion. It'd be some extra leg work but something as special as a one in a hundred Centenary Test wouldn't be hosted in a near empty stadium.

i like the theory... imagine doing the same scenario for each origin game....

suncorp would have all 3 games every year,, they always struggle to fill stadiums down south. does the grand final even sell out???

Capital_Shark
06-05-08, 11:09 PM
i like the theory... imagine doing the same scenario for each origin game....

suncorp would have all 3 games every year,, they always struggle to fill stadiums down south. does the grand final even sell out???

Like I said mate, just an off the cuff thought. Probably not the answer, but something has to be done to make sure the best games get the best crowd. Make it a SOO at the box office and some might fire up. Who knows. There are people who get paid a lot more than me to figure this crap out.

As for SOO, I think the current 2 here 1 there concept is working.

DIEHARD
06-05-08, 11:11 PM
Next year Queensland will surrender one Origin to Melbourne.

Might be a fantastic opportunity to schedule a Test to fil the void.

Hoppy2007Dragons
07-05-08, 07:59 AM
The only Grand Final in my recent memory that was almost sold out or was was the 99 gf, i think if the dragons or souths ever get to a gf in the future :doh: then u would see a almost packed stadium, it probably doesn't help that of the last ten years youve had the broncos and storm winning and competing in grand finals as well as North Queensland, some people are not liek us on the forum and enjoy rugby league as a whole, they would rather support their team in its entirety and don't care about other teams in gfs etc etc.

I have a solution for sydney, build smaller stadiums that way they will be full. :p

Steve
07-05-08, 09:05 AM
The only Grand Final in my recent memory that was almost sold out or was was the 99 gf, i think if the dragons or souths ever get to a gf in the future :doh: then u would see a almost packed stadium, it probably doesn't help that of the last ten years youve had the broncos and storm winning and competing in grand finals as well as North Queensland, some people are not liek us on the forum and enjoy rugby league as a whole, they would rather support their team in its entirety and don't care about other teams in gfs etc etc.

I have a solution for sydney, build smaller stadiums that way they will be full. :p

I think the 97% capacity crowd of 81,392 in the 2007 grand final doesn't really warrant playing it in a smaller stadium.

Cowboy Titan
07-05-08, 10:30 AM
I'm sure the high cost of going to the game and huge cost of food and drinks has a big impact on who can afford to go, particularly with most people being cash strapped at the moment.

I wonder if anyone has considered the way Cricket Australia telecast matches - if the game is in Sydney, it's only broadcast live if the ground is a sellout.

Hoppy2007Dragons
07-05-08, 11:08 AM
think the 97% capacity crowd of 81,392 in the 2007 grand final doesn't really warrant playing it in a smaller stadium.

i heard it was only 65% thats a pretty big tournout, but i suppsoe with a sydney based team in that gf its accepted that big crowds will turn up.

I wonder if anyone has considered the way Cricket Australia telecast matches - if the game is in Sydney, it's only broadcast live if the ground is a sellout.

i hate how cricket australia do that, i can't afford to attend all these wondefull sporting event we have all year, and i think its unfair that becuase i can't afford to go live, i don't get the oppurtunity to see it live or via tv.

I hope the nrl do not consider this.

Steve
07-05-08, 11:21 AM
Well, original capacity was 110k, but it's down to 83.5k now, made it oval to cater for AFL and cricket. :|

titanstattman
07-05-08, 11:24 AM
And for the tickets there not that badle priced $60 bucks or $30 its not that bad?????

Steve
07-05-08, 11:26 AM
I think $30 is the concession! I doubt I'd be going for $60 if I lived in Sydney!

titanstattman
07-05-08, 11:33 AM
I think $30 is the concession! I doubt I'd be going for $60 if I lived in Sydney!

Yeah $60 is for cagt 1 $40 is for cagt 2 $30 is for cagt 3 it alldepands on where u wanna sit....

DIEHARD
07-05-08, 03:21 PM
I do think that LIVE telecasts are hurting rugby league crowds. Fans are growing even more lazy.

I do think that it is very very expensive for families to go to games. Especially in Sydney due to transport.

Families need to start bringing food from home in eskies to cut the price of attending.

But this isn't any regular game, it's a TEST MATCH. A centenary Test at that. So we shouldn't be having this conversation. Sydney has let us down and instead of talking about the game in the media, all we hear about is stories about crap crowds. :mad:

I'm still confident of a great crowd. And I will enjoy being at the Test among so many like minded rugby league fans who love and support the game.

Oh and for the record, even I haven't bought tickets yet! I'm sure we will have a walk up crowd, Sydney fans don't pre-purchase.

Also we all saw the amount of Kiwis at the Titans game the other week, why on Earth can't Sydney based Kiwis be inspired to go?

ATM I'll be looking at getting 5 tickets.... just takes a bit of time to work out who is going etc. :dizzy:

Meh
08-05-08, 01:25 PM
Apparently Thurston is under an injury cloud and guess who is being flown in just in case?

No, not Scott Prince, Cooper Cronk! haha

Honestly, if Cooper Cronk is ahead of Prince in the pecking order, what does that mean for origin? Will Prince be overlooked for that jumper too?

Titanium_BD1103
08-05-08, 01:29 PM
At work so can’t really say too much about this at the moment, but to say this is another slap in the face for Prince… he would be my second choice any day of the week.

Thurston injures ankle, Cronk called up
May 8, 2008 - 1:44PM

Australian halfback Johnathan Thurston is in serious doubt for tomorrow night's rugby league Centenary Test against New Zealand after rolling his ankle at training today.

Thurston is undergoing scans on the injury with Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk called up to join the squad.

Cronk will arrive in Sydney this afternoon and act as cover for Thurston after the North Queensland playmaker went down towards the end of today's final training session.

Cronk is the incumbent Australian halfback after partnering Greg Bird in the halves in the Kangaroos' 58-0 win over New Zealand in Wellington last year.

? 2008 AAP

Cowboy Titan
08-05-08, 01:49 PM
Bad news for JT but it's a disgrace that Scott didn't get the call up. Has he done something to the selectors?

I saw Scott interviewed last night and when he was questioned on the test team, he said fairly abruptly that he didn't want to talk about it. This is an evern bigger kick in the guts.

Hoppy2007Dragons
08-05-08, 01:50 PM
Prince must have committed culturally genocide of an asian nation, i know cornk is the incumbent but has he been in avergae form, hasn't really stood out at Melbourne in my view.

I think we will see the character qand strength of prince from this though, i think he will come out and play some of the best footy he has played for the rest of this season, just to show what the selectors have missed.

Meh
08-05-08, 03:16 PM
A lot of the NZ supporters are ecstatic about Cronk's selection.

Enough of this incumbent crap, Prince was marginally better than Thurston let alone Cronk.

Though i do see how since it is short notice, Cronk might get the nod.

As it is Folou, Inglis, and Slater among others are in the team and he has played with Bird before.

Darren Lockyer
08-05-08, 04:18 PM
A lot of the NZ supporters are ecstatic about Cronk's selection.

Enough of this incumbent crap, Prince was marginally better than Thurston let alone Cronk.

As it is Folou, Inglis, and Slater among others are in the team and he has played with Bird before.

I am really surprised that scott hasn't got a call up yet.

I can see wat u mean that cause it's so close to the game u would like someone to click and there is also ryan hoffman in that team and cronk links well with him so i can see where they r coming from

Ryan
08-05-08, 04:31 PM
This is just :censored: And let's put bias aside being a Titans Forum.......

Friday night I'm supporting Australia. As an Australian Roos fan I expect to see Australia field the best possible team with all the 'form' players taking the field. Players getting picked on 'incumbency' or because they have the selectors\coaches :censored: up their :censored: is nothing short of disappointing to say the least.

Picking Thurston over Prince is understandable, because TBH there is not much in it. And I don't have a problem at all with Greg Bird in at 5/8 because he has been playing great and I can see his value playing there against a physical Kiwi side. But now putting Cronk in front of Prince? - Thats just insulting :mad:

Not taking anything away from Cronk, Gallen, Hoffman, ect - They are great players and they will get the job done. But it's disappointing as an Australian fan not to see our best players on display.

Capital_Shark
08-05-08, 06:33 PM

Spot on it seems: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23666423-23210,00.html

Chaos
08-05-08, 06:54 PM
Cronk chosen at half to bond with the Melbourne players...surely the Kiwis know what style of play Stuart is coaching!

Now with two running halves (Cronk and Bird) I'm worried our outside backs wont get a chance to shine all their skills.

DIEHARD
08-05-08, 06:58 PM
Having Kearny as Kiwi coach would have to help in that respect.

C-Whiz
09-05-08, 06:04 AM
This just proves that Ricky Stuart is one of the BIGGEST F()<KW!TT's to ever be involved in RL.

A complete joke and totally unfair on the players and the fans.

Another reason for fringe supporters not to watch the test, not to get involved in supporting players and not to have any faith in a fair and just selection system. Another reason for fringe fans to give up on the game IMO.

The best Aussie coach is helping out NZ, the best Aussie players don't get a jersey or are left on the bench, and the coach is picking his mates from club footy.

TBH, given that this is the Centenary year of RL, I can't help but feel the NRL is doing it's best to alienate fans since the SL wars.

C-Whiz
10-05-08, 06:00 AM
Good on the Kiwis for making a good fight-back. It could have been a total blowout, but they hung on until the last minutes of the match!

Disappointed Mason & Charlie Webb didn't have a blowup sharing a room together! :p

34000 to the centenary test, and the commentators think that's a good turnout! :?)

Darren Lockyer
10-05-08, 07:23 AM
Ity would have been a really tight gam if cameron smith was disallowed the double movement try and if isaac luke broke through slaters tackle and scored the scoreline would be 22-18 so it wasn't as big as it looked

Steve
10-05-08, 09:31 AM
I reckon they can't pick a form Australian team because they wan't it to be somewhat close.

I was talking to a friend about the game last night, and how while we wanted Australia to win, it wouldn't have been so bad if the kiwis had pulled an upset.

This is what she had to say on the matter, I think it sums it up pretty well.

yeh.. it's like watching your best mate and your dorky fat friend chatting up guys at the pub you always want your best mate to walk away with the win.
but sometimes it kinda makes you feel good on the inside when your dorky fat friend gets some too.

I have to admit, I didn't bother watching the game. Partly because my TV packed it in and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. I could have gone out to watch it, but really, it was never going to be a contest. Not worth the effort.
We need some real competition at the international level.

Titanium_BD1103
10-05-08, 10:13 AM
Overall it was an alright game... Amazing athleticism don't get me wrong... Inglis to Gasnier is probably the try of the century... simply amazing... :)

I have to say though we played solid football for 20 mins to get that lead, and then just dropped a gear...I don't think the side ever got out of 2nd gear and that is a worry for the Kiwis... as if I was any of the team, I'd be annoyed I didn't finish that off.

In saying that, well done to the Kiwis for keeping it respectable and for never giving up, nice to see Wayne and Steve have got that into them... SBW was awesome and hopefully he can be like that for my boys in the weeks ahead... and Nightingale, Luke, Perrett and Soliola all had very solid games.

I think had the Kiwis had some options out of the halves aka. Roberts and Marshall, we could have had a much tighter result...

Overall, a great tribute to the 100 years of the game, the game wasn't that special but the atmosphere was awesome and C-Whiz... that was a very decent crowd.. considering the SCG only seats 40,000 and that make shift scoreboard took up part of a stand... Sydney fans showed they still do care about Rugby League, which is nice to see.... :)