PDA

View Full Version : The Gillette International Rugby League Awards

DIEHARD
23-11-05, 01:38 PM
Australia fullback Anthony Minichiello has won the Gillette Golden Boot, presented annually to the world?s best player by Rugby League World magazine.

In the closest voting since the award was first presented in 1985, Minichiello?s man of the match performance against Great Britain in Hull last Saturday swung the prestigious honour his way ahead of rivals Stuart Fielden of Great Britain and New Zealand pair Ruben Wiki and Stacey Jones.

He was presented with the award by former Australian international and current Test selector Artie Beetson at the Gillette International Rugby League Awards in Leeds.

Minichiello, 25, was Australia?s man of the series in the 2004 Gillette Tri-Nations, and his form has continued through 2005 at both domestic and international level. The Sydney Roosters fullback has made 17 appearances for his country, and has also represented New South Wales. His outstanding performances during the current Gillette Tri-Nations has received universal praise as Australia?s best fullback in the last 20 years.

Minichiello also collected the Gillette International Back of the Year, having been runner-up last year. The forward of the year went to Britain?s Stuart Fielden, while New Zealand?s 19 year-old winger Manu Vatuvei collected the newcomer of the year award ahead of compatriot Benji Marshall and Australian Scott Prince.

Australian coach Wayne Bennett scooped the coach of the year, having guided his country to success in the 2004 Gillette Tri-Nations, the 2005 Anzac Test against New Zealand, and further Tri-Nations victories against New Zealand in Auckland and Great Britain in Wigan and Hull. His nearest rival was New Zealand?s Brian McClennan, who masterminded the Kiwis first win against Australia in Sydney for over 50 years.

Tim Mander?s status as the world?s top referee was confirmed with his selection as the Gillette International Referee of the Year ahead of Britain?s Steve Ganson.

And for the second successive year, the developing nations award went to France?s Djamel Fakir.

The awards are decided by a panel of nearly 100 international journalists and broadcasters, plus former players and coaches. International performances are given priority, but other representative and club form is also taken into consideration.

GBTV caught up wiith the Award winners...

Windows Player - http://www.superleague.co.uk/pub/video/goldenboot.wvx

Real Player - http://www.superleague.co.uk/pub/video/goldenboot.ram

Source: Rugby Super League

Dakink
23-11-05, 01:41 PM
Do you know where is there is a list of judges? - I remember some of the Tele's journalists saying they have never been asked on their opinion.

DIEHARD
23-11-05, 01:41 PM
I would like to highlight the neccessity of the NRL lifting their game in regard to providing news for next year's Tri Nations.

The NRL, like the Rugby Super League this year, will be the major source of news for the Tri Nations next year and they need to provide thorough coverage.

Including having a similiar feature to GBTV that covers the Tri Nations that overseas fans can watch and view free and unrestricted.

Super Cronk
23-11-05, 05:36 PM
I just read on the storm forum that vatuvei got best newcomer!!!! These awards yet agian prove they are nothing but BS. Webster has been 30 times better then vatuvei. Vatuvei is a ghost, passenger, nuffy....all of the above.

Teegy
23-11-05, 05:49 PM
I just read on the storm forum that vatuvei got best newcomer!!!! These awards yet agian prove they are nothing but BS. Webster has been 30 times better then vatuvei. Vatuvei is a ghost, passenger, nuffy....all of the above.
Vatuvei is going to be a great NZ winger for many years. he performed well this year and deserves the award. in the same light Wes Niawama had a brillient season this year and would have been close to winning

Super Cronk
23-11-05, 09:31 PM
in the article it says "Gillette International Rugby League Awards" ...so are the awards only based on international games or the entire season?

If its international then vatuvei has been nowhere near the best....im not being biased when i say webster has been better, ask anyone with a brain and that has watched the tri nations that vatuvei has ntohing on webster.

If it is the entire season then he doesnt even come close to prince, benji and webster. Those 3 players played some of their best footy in 2005. Vatuvei plays 12 games and gets the award??? thats BS IMO.

Steelers
23-11-05, 09:33 PM
in the article it says "Gillette International Rugby League Awards" ...so are the awards only based on international games or the entire season?

If its international then vatuvei has been nowhere near the best....im not being biased when i say webster has been better, ask anyone with a brain and that has watched the tri nations that vatuvei has ntohing on webster.

If it is the entire season then he doesnt even come close to prince, benji and webster. Those 3 players played some of their best footy in 2005. Vatuvei plays 12 games and gets the award??? thats BS IMO.

Don't worry, these awards are the dodgiest awards I have ever seen ;)

Super Cronk
23-11-05, 09:37 PM
Don't worry, these awards are the dodgiest awards I have ever seen ;)

Yeah dont get me wrong...mini deserves the award. But these awards have no credability...what the hell is the Rugby League World magazine? who are the judges? ...noone takes these awards seriously. looking at some results no wonder why most think its a crock.