27-04-08, 07:24 PM
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx25063.jpg

Country vs City
Win Stadium, Wollongong; Friday 2nd May, 7:30PM

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8568/citycountry08hz9.jpg

Referee:

Team Notes:

Country

- NSW Country have been dealt a triple blow with star backs Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Matt Cooper all ruled out of Friday night's clash with City.

- Fullback Stewart (calf), and the centre pairing of Lyon (personal reasons) and Cooper (back) were all scratched at Monday morning's medical.

- Cronulla's Brett Kearney moves from the bench to fullback while Joel Monaghan shifts from the wing to the centres.

The new centre is North Queensland's Ben Harris, while Sydney Roosters' Amos Roberts comes into the side on the wing and St George Illawarra utility Ben Hornby comes onto the bench.

City

- Prop Jason King, who was originally selected has pulled out due to injury. Bryce Gibbs goes into the starting lineup, Chad Robinson joins the side with 18th Man to be Keith Galloway from Wests Tigers.

Teams:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/pics/17/93/179333_firstImageIMG.jpg

1. Brett Kearney
2. Amos Roberts
3. Joel Monaghan
4. Ben Harris
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Todd Carney
7. Brett Finch
8. Brett White
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Anthony Laffranchi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Andrew Ryan
13. Craig Fitzgibbon

Interchange:
14. Ben Cross
15. Chris Heighington
16. Ben Creagh
17. Glenn Stewart

http://www.sportingpulse.com/pics/17/93/179335_firstImageIMG.jpg

1. Brett Hodgson
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Ben Pomeroy
4. Brett Delaney
5. Luke Rooney
6. Braith Anasta
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Corey Hughes
10. Bryce Gibbs
11. Luke Lewis
12. Mark Minichiello
13. John Sutton

Interchange:
14. Chad Robinson
15. Ray Cashmere
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Peter Wallace
18. Keith Galloway

Congrats to Delaney & Minnichello for making the City side :thumbsup:

Steve
27-04-08, 07:27 PM
Well deserved spots to the lads!
Mini has been outstanding, and Delaney has been one of our biggest meter getters this year. Been a huge effort from him.

Chaos
27-04-08, 07:30 PM
The City side has been anounced with Delaney & Minnichello making this side :thumbsup:

Brett Hodgson, Jarryd Hayne, Ben Pomeroy, Brett Delaney, Luke Rooney, Braith Anasta, Mitchell Pearce, Jason King, Corey Hughes, Mark O'Meley, Luke Lewis, Mark Minichiello, John Sutton.

Interchange: Bryce Gibbs, Ray Cashmere, Feleti Mateo, Peter Wallace

Wallace and Pearce in the side...as a half back I'd rather go on the field fresh at the back of the halves, then to start and be taken off.

TITAN PETE
27-04-08, 07:31 PM
As he missed the Test Team Laffranchi has been named in the Country side but in the odd spot of Front Row :ugh:

Brett Stewart, Joel Monaghan, Jamie Lyon, Matt Cooper, Anthony Quinn, Todd Carney, Brett Finch, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Andrew Ryan, Craig Fitzgibbon.

Interchange: Ben Cross, Chris Heighington, Brett Kearney, Glenn Stewart.

Timmy Titans
27-04-08, 07:37 PM
Anyone know if the Titans players in the team will be able to play on the saturday night for us?

Chaos
27-04-08, 07:38 PM
Thats a good side...I think city is in trouble.

TITAN PETE
27-04-08, 07:44 PM
Anyone know if the Titans players in the team will be able to play on the saturday night for us?

If Carty wants them to play & they pass a fitness test then they can definatley play :thumbsup:

Chaos
27-04-08, 07:48 PM
I'll be filthy if any Titans players get injured playing this ridiculous game.

kwigibo
27-04-08, 07:52 PM
Laffranchi in the number 10 is an odd choice. No props in the country? Not only is he snubbed over Gallen and Hoffman, the pick him out of position for third tier rep football?

Boofhead
27-04-08, 07:53 PM
Preston was injured last year in the City vs Country match.

Here's to the day they move/get rid of this useless NSW crap, QLD will win origin anyway. ;)

Chaos
27-04-08, 07:57 PM
I'm predicting all the Titans players get a 24 hour bug during the City/Country match.

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-04-08, 08:15 PM
Whilst u may think this game is crap, go ask laffranchi, minichello and delaney if they think this game is crap. I doubt they will agree with ya.

city country origin is more than a trial run for nsw's origin sides, its match played to acknowledge the impact both country and city football have had on the competition. Its an important game because it allows some of the best players to play in the country and allow the game to spread to the spectators that can't afford or find time to spectate, a oppurtunity they don't often get and one they do enjoy.

Ryan
27-04-08, 08:51 PM
Laffranchi in the number 10 is an odd choice. No props in the country? Not only is he snubbed over Gallen and Hoffman, the pick him out of position for third tier rep football?
He's not really out of place in the #10. Played plenty for games at the Tigers there, I'm sure you remember he filled that positon last year for us too.

Good to see Carney in there, although I'm QLD'r - I'd prefer to see him in rep footy than Orford.

kwigibo
27-04-08, 09:44 PM
He's not really out of place in the #10. Played plenty for games at the Tigers there, I'm sure you remember he filled that positon last year for us too.

I do remember that, but he is a back rower in build and style, and an 80 minute one at that. With the bench they picked hopefully this means he won't play a full game and there's less chance they'll send him back worse for the wear.

TITAN PETE
27-04-08, 09:48 PM
Whilst u may think this game is crap, go ask laffranchi, minichello and delaney if they think this game is crap. I doubt they will agree with ya.

city country origin is more than a trial run for nsw's origin sides, its match played to acknowledge the impact both country and city football have had on the competition. Its an important game because it allows some of the best players to play in the country and allow the game to spread to the spectators that can't afford or find time to spectate, a oppurtunity they don't often get and one they do enjoy.

Well said :clap: as a lot of these players will only ever get this shot to get a Rep Jersey so don't dis this game even if you Bleed Qld this is more Rugby League & the more we get to see the better for the FANS:fist:

Titans Rock
27-04-08, 10:43 PM
pretty good side

Titans Rock
27-04-08, 10:45 PM
not quite as good as country but good to see some Titans players getting noticed :)

Boofhead
27-04-08, 11:07 PM

I'm all for more rep football to give players a go and spreading games out to the country regions - don't get me wrong, but if any players (especially Titans players) get injured during the NRL season playing a minor game on the rugby league calender... that just pisses me off. It's the small things that count in rubgy league, Preston last year was injured during the City v Country match and had to spend some weeks on the side line, he played poor football for a considerable amount of weeks after the incident - his form could have been the difference between us missing the eight and making the eight.

If players can't prove they are origin material during the early rounds of the NRL season, they shouldn't make it at all. Simple as that. ;)

Move the game to post/pre season, heck make it a three game series - just not during the NRL season. ;)

Tamwelg
27-04-08, 11:09 PM
I knew Mini would have got the call up again and Delaney is having a great season and deserves the reward.

DIEHARD
28-04-08, 07:13 AM
Well said :clap: as a lot of these players will only ever get this shot to get a Rep Jersey so don't dis this game even if you Bleed Qld this is more Rugby League & the more we get to see the better for the FANS:fist:

I agree. It's a NSW thing and if they want it fine.

But I just hate it when they complain on the jammed draw and try and cut down on Test Matches. I'll pick another Test over City vs Country any day.

Steve
28-04-08, 08:09 AM
Pity Preston has missed out this year. That said, it's only the last few games he's really starting to hit his best again. Probably more to do with what looks like a full forward bench this year.

Hoppy2007Dragons
28-04-08, 09:34 AM
I'm all for more rep football to give players a go and spreading games out to the country regions - don't get me wrong, but if any players (especially Titans players) get injured during the NRL season playing a minor game on the rugby league calender... that just pisses me off. It's the small things that count in rubgy league, Preston last year was injured during the City v Country match and had to spend some weeks on the side line, he played poor football for a considerable amount of weeks after the incident - his form could have been the difference between us missing the eight and making the eight.

If players can't prove they are origin material during the early rounds of the NRL season, they shouldn't make it at all. Simple as that.

Move the game to post/pre season, heck make it a three game series - just not during the NRL season

Why don't we just wrap up the titans players in cotton wool, u ask preston if he regrets playing that game, even though he got injured and missed a few weeks, i doubt he would say yes.

If players didn't really want to play it or were worried about being injured they can just say i don't want to play.

Besides, the depth the titans have this year, im sure u can miss one or two players with injury, given will have rogers and bull back shortly as well.

So what if say prince and bailey got injured during the test during the season, the fact that its a higher up game makes it ok, even if they were gone for the whole season.

The city/country game supports and spreads the game, its not like its played at an insane intesity or the players are pumped and want to destroy you like say the kiwis want to.

For a club that needs the assistance of the Rugby League community to help fight attempts by the AFL and even Soccer to muscle in on the population of the coast, your very relucant to return the favour in spreading the game to rural australia, sounds like a few selfish supporters that are looking out for thier clubs interests and the hunt for a priemership over the whole competition in general, not to mention the players of their team that are going to use this test to stake a claim in the nsw origin team. Players like laffranchi, he plays well in this third tier test, he may very well play for nsw(very likely in my opionion) and you would deny him this oppurtunity because he may get injured, just like he may get injured every other week that he pulls on a jersey.

Steve
28-04-08, 11:22 AM
I preferred when this had real country players, blokes from the bush getting a chance to play against the big guns. Admittedly it's not terribly fair, but they always had a good go, and if I remember correctly the odd one even made origin too.

Even so, I still like to see the game. I don't think it's even about origin selection so much, but really, what other rep game is going to ever be played in a regional area?

The injuries, well, they're unfortunate. But they can happen in this, in origin, test matches, trials, training, walking down the street, going for a swim. You can't shield them from it all.

Helen
28-04-08, 01:21 PM
Country's star-studded backline slashed

NSW Country have been dealt a triple blow with star backs Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Matt Cooper all ruled out of Friday night's clash with City.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=453667

Revised squad: Brett Kearney, Amos Roberts, Joel Monaghan, Ben Harris, Anthony Quinn, Todd Carney, Brett Finch, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Andrew Ryan, Craig Fitzgibbon, Interchange: Ben Hornby, Ben Cross, Chris Heighington, Glenn Stewart.

Helen

Helen
28-04-08, 01:48 PM
Jason King ruled out of City

The Manly front-rower was scratched at Monday morning's medical with an ankle injury suffered in Saturday's win over the Bulldogs.

Revised squad: Brett Hodgson, Jarryd Hayne, Ben Pomeroy, Brett Delaney, Luke Rooney, Braith Anasta, Mitchell Pearce, Corey Hughes, Mark O'Meley, Luke Lewis, Mark Minichiello, John Sutton, Chad Robinson Bryce Gibbs, Ray Cashmere, Feleti Mateo, Peter Wallace.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=453675

Helen

Titanium_BD1103
28-04-08, 08:56 PM
Ah this again... I went through the explaination on why City vs Country is of value last year, so I am not going through it again...except to say that this year, it is really a selection trial for Origin spots, not a nuff game.

If you look at the NSW side, outside of Fullback, Hooker (perhaps), and the second row, none of the other spots are certain starters... every spot is up for grabs...

If I had to choose players in the side ATM, I'd only be able to place a few as certainties.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Open
3. Open
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Jarrad Hayne (not certainty)
6. Open
7. Open
8. Open
9. Danny Buderus (not certainty)
10. Brent Kite
11. Willie Mason
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Open
15. Open
16. Open
17. Open

Nearly 3/4 of the side still has spots up for grabs, which is why for once in a long time, City vs Country will be more than just pride... I hope the players realise this, and we see a great game on Friday night in the Gong... :)

TITAN PETE
28-04-08, 09:50 PM
If you look at the NSW side, outside of Fullback, Hooker (perhaps), and the second row, none of the other spots are certain starters... every spot is up for grabs...

If I had to choose players in the side ATM, I'd only be able to place a few as certainties.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Open
3. Open
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Jarrad Hayne (not certainty)
6. Open
7. Open
8. Open
9. Danny Buderus (not certainty)
10. Brent Kite
11. Willie Mason
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Open
15. Open
16. Open
17. Open

I'll agree with most of your certainties but maybe not in the same posistions as i think Quinn,Hoffman & Laffranchi are as sure things to make the 17 especially when you think who the coach is & who could possibly have a hope in hell of taking Buderus's spot unless Farah makes a unbeleivable comeback :eyebrows:

Chaos
28-04-08, 09:54 PM
How many people remember who played in past City vs country games?
I heard this game was played in Wollongong...so much for taking the game to the country.

When was the last time a country player (not playing in the NRL) was chosen in either side.

Scrap it or choose players not playing NRL.

GCT_89
28-04-08, 10:51 PM
When was the last time a country player (not playing in the NRL) was chosen in either side.

Scrap it or choose players not playing NRL.

mate its not like the olden days when a team of wannabes could entertain the likes of pros ....these days pros are like athletes....highly tuned athletes that cannot be compared to the average country bloke who has a good run at it...............

Titanium_BD1103
28-04-08, 11:33 PM
Here an interesting decision, I'm guessing it's to get the players ready for WC later this year.... it's international rules on this one... ;)

City Country to use International Rules
Thursday, 24th April 2008

The Australian Rugby League has today announced the Centenary Test and this year’s City v Country Origin will be played under international rules.

The decision means both matches will feature the 12-4 interchange format rather than the current National Rugby League system of 10-4.

Test matches are required to be played under international rules unless the two participating countries agree otherwise.

ARL Chief Executive Geoff Carr said player welfare played a major part in the ARL and New Zealand Rugby League’s decision.

“We were mindful of the fact many players selected for this match will be backing up to play the next day,” Carr said.

“Likewise the NSW Rugby League and Country Rugby League wanted to ensure the City Country Origin players were not overworked during this period.

“The international rules allow for two extra interchanges per match compared to the NRL system and this will benefit those players.

“In the case of the Centenary Test it is in the interest of both teams to play under international rules as the upcoming World Cup will be in that format.”

Carr said a decision had not yet been made on which set of rules this year’s Harvey Norman State of Origin series would be played under.

“Traditionally State of Origin is played under NRL rules,” Carr said.

“Origin differs in that it is a mid-week game, meaning the players have more time to recover compared to those playing who might have to back up and play the next day.”

The ARL Board is expected to make a decision on the State of Origin rules shortly.

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-04-08, 10:15 AM
Yes i'm a little dissapointed in it not being played in the county, but last year it was at dubbo and attracted a huge crowd.
And i hope the remember this and spread it around the country venues for the next few years.

craigyd
29-04-08, 01:23 PM
Being originally from Sydney and following footy for 30 years i always have watched city v country.But the way the game is played today i dont think it is really needed in the game,NSW should be able to pick an origin team without this match as being a selection possibility match.
I realise to a player its still a rep jersey but at the end of the day,takes away from there team responsibilities.
All said and done im happy for the 3 titans who have been given the nod and they deserve there shot.

GCT_89
29-04-08, 02:45 PM

they surely will be, as long as everything goes well.......

In what shapes as a nightmare scenario Laffranchi, along with clubmates Mark Minichiello and Brett Delaney, is set to drive a hire car on a "Midnight Express" run to Newcastle immediately after the traditional NSW Origin selection trial.
They will arrive in the Hunter in the wee hours of Saturday morning, and then face a rushed rehab and minimal rest before battling the Knights.

[SOURCE] (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,23612185-5003409,00.html)

Coaster
29-04-08, 08:08 PM
This game is the biggest joke in our comp.

Country vs City? BS:fight:

This is a joke of a game, pathetic , not worthy of even watching.

PiZZ it off to the local garbage that it is.

Coaster
29-04-08, 08:10 PM
mate its not like the olden days when a team of wannabes could entertain the likes of pros ....these days pros are like athletes....highly tuned athletes that cannot be compared to the average country bloke who has a good run at it...............

how do you know? they dont even get a go.

There is a lot of highly fit country players, that play though injuries unlike current superstars.

Give them a shot at it, or get rid of it.

Players complain about the season being to long, and we have this garbage in our calender.

pfft

DIEHARD
29-04-08, 08:11 PM

HAPPY 2000TH POST! :salute: :laugh:

Coaster
29-04-08, 08:11 PM
HAPPY 2000TH POST! :salute: :laugh:

LOL i didnt even know, wow that was a long time coming

Titanium_BD1103
30-04-08, 01:33 PM

Spoken like a true Queenslander there..:doh:

I reckon if you had a game where Queensland country vs Queensland City, you'd all be interested and say it's history and heritage...

To understand City vs Country,you have to be from NSW, and these days, attended a game... only then can you understand why this game is important in the scheme of Rugby League... and besides, it's a genuine NSW selection trial this year.. so it's not a joke...:?)

Steve
30-04-08, 01:57 PM
I'll be cheering for City. I'm born and bred Sydney. ;)

Coaster
30-04-08, 02:54 PM
Spoken like a true Queenslander there..:doh:

I reckon if you had a game where Queensland country vs Queensland City, you'd all be interested and say it's history and heritage...

To understand City vs Country,you have to be from NSW, and these days, attended a game... only then can you understand why this game is important in the scheme of Rugby League... and besides, it's a genuine NSW selection trial this year.. so it's not a joke...:?)

No the difference is, that if this game was Qld Country we would pick guys from the country, not all NRL players.

only then can you understand why this game is important in the scheme of Rugby League
No , not rugby league, it is important to NSW, NSW is not rugby league, LOL spoken like a true ****roach, and to say this is a selection trial is as big of a joke as this game.

TITAN PETE
30-04-08, 04:13 PM

I just check the GFL Site & you can switch channels on Friday night & watch West Coast v Carlton ;)

Coaster
30-04-08, 07:14 PM
Sorry, I wouldnt even know who was playing, ill go out and enjoy myself instead.

You say its a selection trial, do you really believe that? or are you brainwashed with sydney centric media??

This game is nothing more then a lick on the nswrl back, and hopefully the NRL only use this game to see that there is only room in NSW for 2 good teams, and should cull the rest.

Actually that is a good idea.

Gold Coast Titans
Brisbane Broncos
North Queensland Cowboys
New Zealand Warriors
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Sydney City
Sydney Country
Newcastle Knights
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds
Gosford Rabbits

I like it.

Ryan
30-04-08, 07:34 PM
Sorry, I wouldnt even know who was playing, ill go out and enjoy myself instead.

You say its a selection trial, do you really believe that? or are you brainwashed with sydney centric media??

This game is nothing more then a lick on the nswrl back, and hopefully the NRL only use this game to see that there is only room in NSW for 2 good teams, and should cull the rest.

Gold Coast Titans
Brisbane Broncos
North Queensland Cowboys
New Zealand Warriors
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Sydney City
Sydney Country
Newcastle Knights
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds
Gosford Rabbits

I like it.
:laugh: So do I.............

Titanium_BD1103
30-04-08, 07:39 PM

Gold Coast Titans
Brisbane Broncos
North Queensland Cowboys
New Zealand Warriors
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Sydney City
Sydney Country
Newcastle Knights
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds
Gosford Rabbits

I like it.

LMAO... your justification gets funnier and funnier with every post..:laugh:

Ok, if you do not believe this is a genuine selection trial fine, but then do me a favour... please name me a NSW side 1-17, of certainities to get spots... if you can do that, then you might have something.

I can assure you though, no matter who you name, only 4-5 will be certainties.. the rest of the Blues squad at present is a lottery, even Bellamy has said so... which is why this game is important to our selection process.

Yes I truly believe that the NSW team could have anyone in it...look at my post on page 2 which shows a side with only 4 players in it... I reckon this year it's anyones guess who will play in the sky blue.

It's easy ATM being a Queenslander, your side picks itself pretty much, but here in NSW, our whole side is a lottery, all I know is, they will do our state proud... and I look forward to the challenge of seeing who makes the grade.

Steve
30-04-08, 07:41 PM
No the difference is, that if this game was Qld Country we would pick guys from the country, not all NRL players.

There's no choice there though.
Even Brisbane is just a large country town.

Chaos
30-04-08, 07:55 PM
Ok, if you do not believe this is a genuine selection trial fine, but then do me a favour... please name me a NSW side 1-17, of certainities to get spots... if you can do that, then you might have something.

I can assure you though, no matter who you name, only 4-5 will be certainties.. the rest of the Blues squad at present is a lottery, even Bellamy has said so... which is why this game is important to our selection process.

Yes I truly believe that the NSW team could have anyone in it...look at my post on page 2 which shows a side with only 4 players in it... I reckon this year it's anyones guess who will play in the sky blue.

It's easy ATM being a Queenslander, your side picks itself pretty much, but here in NSW, our whole side is a lottery, all I know is, they will do our state proud... and I look forward to the challenge of seeing who makes the grade.

Surely the NSW selectors aren't stupid enough to pick a state side from one game that's been thrown together without playing together before.

Titanium_BD1103
30-04-08, 10:11 PM
Surely the NSW selectors aren't stupid enough to pick a state side from one game that's been thrown together without playing together before.

No they aren't, and I admit that, but they will use it, along with the Test Match the following week to clarify a few things... or help clarify a few things such as:

- Whether Pearce, Wallace, Finch or Gidley are the best choice for number 7

- Whether Bird will play 6 or 13 for the Blues

- Whether Hayne has enough form to keep his wing spot or Quinn will get it

- Whether Tupou, Hoffman, Gallen, Mason, Minichiello, Ryan, Laffranchi, Hindmarsh or Fitzgibbon get second row and lock spots

There are plenty of questions to be asked for NSW, the answers will be a lot more clearer after both City vs Country and the Test Match... well that is if people stand up and show they are ready to represent the sky blue jersey...:)

Capital_Shark
30-04-08, 10:37 PM
Fine, its not a fair dinkum piece of the NSW selection puzzle. But Jesus its a game of footy where you get to see the best of certain areas against each other. I'm a Queenslander supporter so I don't give a toss how they pick the NSW squad, but I respect there are traditions behind this match and enjoy it for what it is, a game of footy at a bit of a higher level.

God forbid anyone questions Queensland Rugby League's 'care factor' pre Broncos; you'll all sh!t bricks and roll off about that mob DIEHARD is always canning on about. City v Country has some significance to NSW (probably majority country) people and you hop on your soap box. Its a game of footy, enjoy it.

TITAN PETE
01-05-08, 11:41 AM
Its a game of footy, enjoy it.

Look out CS as we agree on your last quote :surprise: :clap:

TITAN PETE
01-05-08, 11:49 AM

Gold Coast Titans
Brisbane Broncos
North Queensland Cowboys
New Zealand Warriors
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Sydney City
Sydney Country
Newcastle Knights
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds
Gosford Rabbits

I like it.

Don't have a calculator handy but i'm counting 4 NSW Teams in your list :rolf:

It's not a bad list though & everyone plays each other twice ;)

Titanium_BD1103
01-05-08, 08:19 PM
He might not be headed to the Gong on Friday, but at least Craig Bellamy is talking to the City selectors about his issues... shows there is a united front in the NSW camp.. :)

Bellamy unconvinced by selectors

By Josh Massoud and Dean Ritchie
May 01, 2008

NEW South Wales coach Craig Bellamy has privately questioned his selectors after they omitted Steve Turner and Chris Lawrence from the City-Country match in Wollongong.

Bellamy is reported to have wanted both players picked in the City backline, as he viewed the pair as genuine Blues State of Origin hopefuls.

Instead, Brett Delaney and Luke Rooney were picked in their place for the match at WIN Stadium - which Bellamy will not attend.

The Melbourne coach was so confident that Storm winger Turner would be selected that he even had the speedster booked on a special flight to Sydney on Sunday afternoon.

Turner expected to stay the night in Sydney before fronting the City medical on Monday. But after being overlooked in favour of Rooney, Turner was forced to return home to Melbourne while other players were being fitted for their City jerseys.

Bellamy confirmed the Turner debacle had taken place, and he also revealed that another two players he wanted selected in City-Country had not been picked. Wests Tigers sensation Lawrence is understood to have been one of them.

"There was a bit of an assumption (Turner) was getting picked because he was in Sydney," Bellamy said.

"It was probably my fault because I didn't check up closer to the occasion."

Bellamy is believed to have sought answers as to why Lawrence and Turner were not selected in the City team.

Bellamy spoke to City selector John Hayes and coach Tim Sheens in the month leading up to the team being named last Sunday night.

Bellamy visited NSW Rugby League headquarters to meet Blues assistant coaches Andrew Johns and Shane Flanagan, as well as other officials.

An NSWRL insider claimed there were "no blow-ups".

"He looked as happy as pie to me," the insider said.

But the omissions of Turner and Lawrence have led Bellamy to declare that City-Country clash is "not the be-all-and-end-all". He claimed a number of NSW spots were still vacant and may be filled by players outside the WIN Stadium game.

Manly half-back Matt Orford is understood to remain in contention for a spot, despite missing out to Mitchell Pearce in the City side.

"We are still keeping a close eye on players at club level and in no way have they been forgotten," Bellamy said.

"NSW selectors may have differing opinions from those picking the City and Country teams. It is the same with the Australian team. Those not involved in City-Country, however, should not lose heart."

Of yesterday's meeting with Johns and Flanagan, Bellamy said: "We discussed many things and the City-Country game was high on the list of topics. It's a big game in the selection process for Origin but it's not the be-all and end-all."

Meanwhile Laurie lays down the law... :)

Don't blow your Origin chance: Daley
May 1, 2008 - 6:37PM

Country coach Laurie Daley has delivered a representative eve warning to the host of State of Origin hopefuls at WIN Stadium on Friday night - "don't blow your chance of a Blues jumper".

While strong performances in the annual City-Country clash won't guarantee anyone a start in Origin I later this month, NSW selector Daley claimed poor displays could have a greater affect on a player's selection hopes.

His words of warning will do little to ease the pressure on several players in both squads, particularly those involved in the play-off for the NSW halfback jumper - Mitchell Pearce, Peter Wallace and Brett Finch.

"That's the point that I think most people miss about this game. If you play bad, it sticks out and when it comes to Origin discussion you're sort of put on the backburner," Daley said.

"If you play well you're always in the mix, you're always spoken about.

"You may not necessarily be selected but you're mentioned. You become that next in line.

"It's something selectors have looked at over the past few (City-Country) games.

"It's one of those double-edged swords - there's a lot there for a player to gain even if you don't get selected."

History shows Daley's threat has some merit, with a number of players having their Origin hopes dashed by dismal displays for either City or Country.

Last year Penrith skipper Craig Gower had his cards marked with a lacklustre performance for City, the veteran halfback unable to get his side going against a Country team which had been decimated by injury.

Similarly in 2006, Manly No.7 Matt Orford was outshone by Finch in the clash at Dubbo, with five runs for just 39 metres doing little to help City get over the line and Orford into a Blues jumper.

Orford also struggled in his previous City appearance in 2004, with four runs for eight metres and two handling errors in a game which Country won 22-18.

Given the stakes up for grabs heading into Friday night's game, NSW selectors will be keen to see how the younger candidates handle the pressure with Wallace and Pearce still relatively new to first grade.

Waiting for them to flop are Orford and Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley, with state selectors claiming the Manly skipper is still well in the reckoning for the Origin opener on May 21 despite being overlooked for Friday night's game.

Gidley, meanwhile, will have to press his claims from some unusual positions after being selected on the bench for Australia and at fullback for the Knights against Gold Coast on Saturday night.

While City-Country can kill off some players' chances, it can also do them wonders, as evidenced by Melbourne prop Brett White's spectacular rise through the ranks last year.

Country's White was on the periphery of Origin talks early in the season, but 140m from 15 runs in just 40 minutes of football for Country catapulted him into the NSW side for last year's series opener.

It's left White shaking his head at claims from some quarters that the City-Country games serve no purpose.

"It's unbelievable because you look back on last year, I don't think I was in the talk for Origin until after this game," White said.

"They're saying it's a trial game again for the NSW side and after Friday night there'll be some names thrown up from this game."

Organisers said plenty of tickets remained available for the match.

? 2008 AAP

Titanium_BD1103
01-05-08, 08:22 PM
Galloway is named as 18th player for City

WESTS Tigers forward Keith Galloway has joined the NSW City team as 18th man for Friday night's clash with Country at WIN Stadium.

Prop Mark O'Meley had been the only injury concern for the City side leading into the week, the Sydney Roosters forward still coming back from a hamstring tear.

The City side will complete their final training session at WIN Stadium on Thursday afternoon.

AAP

Chaos
01-05-08, 08:38 PM
No they aren't, and I admit that, but they will use it, along with the Test Match the following week to clarify a few things... or help clarify a few things such as:

- Whether Pearce, Wallace, Finch or Gidley are the best choice for number 7

- Whether Bird will play 6 or 13 for the Blues

- Whether Hayne has enough form to keep his wing spot or Quinn will get it

- Whether Tupou, Hoffman, Gallen, Mason, Minichiello, Ryan, Laffranchi, Hindmarsh or Fitzgibbon get second row and lock spots

There are plenty of questions to be asked for NSW, the answers will be a lot more clearer after both City vs Country and the Test Match... well that is if people stand up and show they are ready to represent the sky blue jersey...:)

Why don't you just use the club games, which are played every weekend?
All the players know what lines to run and there's no hooker or half back over playing their hand to get in the side.

I hope Corey Hughes hogs the ball and scores two tries.

RLfan
01-05-08, 08:45 PM
What happens if Corey Hughes outplays Danny Buderus? Do you reckon Corey will get the Blues jersey?

Thought not.

TITAN PETE
01-05-08, 09:25 PM
What happens if Corey Hughes outplays Danny Buderus? Do you reckon Corey will get the Blues jersey?

Thought not.

Nah Farrah will be back this week to put claim to his 1st Blues Jersey :thumbsup:

Capital_Shark
01-05-08, 09:28 PM
Nah Farrah will be back this week to put claim to his 1st Blues Jersey :thumbsup:

I hope your right. But I can honestly see the Blues selectors b!tching it and giving Buderus the call up and waiting to have their hand forced to pick a new 9 next year when Bedsy goes to England.

Titanium_BD1103
02-05-08, 04:52 PM
Yeah I know CS... we seem to be like that these days.. hopefully Farah can get over the injuries and show some form and make it a contest... :)

Six Blues spots up for grabs
May 2, 2008

There will be plenty of feeling in the air tonight when City and Country players chase Origin glory, writes Greg Prichard.

Forget the debate over whether the City-Country game is even worth playing and consider the facts as the Herald understands them - when it comes to possible selection in the NSW team for State of Origin I, tonight's match is critically important to more than a dozen players.

Yes, the game does matter - more than in the average year, too. After it, the picture regarding wing, five-eighth, prop, the second row, lock and the bench for the Blues, who will be named on Monday week for the game against Queensland at ANZ Stadium on May 21, will be a lot clearer.

Tonight will either be a big night or a bummer for players such as Country winger Anthony Quinn, City five-eighth Braith Anasta, Country prop Brett White, City winger Luke Rooney and Country halfback Brett Finch, to name just a few.

Second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh is playing for Country only because he has been dumped from the Australian team. The Australian lock and second-rowers are all New South Welshman, so Hindmarsh needs to shine to keep his hopes of playing for the Blues alive.

Anthony Laffranchi, who plays in the second row for the Gold Coast but has been picked at prop for Country, is the 18th man for Australia, but that doesn't guarantee him a start for NSW - not when you consider two of the three forward spots on Australia's bench are also filled by Blues players.

Finch and Country reserve Ben Hornby are candidates to fill the role of covering for hooker, halfback and five-eighth from the bench. Kurt Gidley will handle that job for the Australians against the Kiwis at the SCG next Friday, but - as the Herald revealed on Tuesday - Gidley is the pea for the NSW No.7 jumper. The list goes on.

So there is a lot riding on the first representative game of the season, at WIN Stadium.

There are eight New South Welshmen - Mark Gasnier, Brent Kite, Paul Gallen, Ryan Hoffman, Greg Bird, Anthony Tupou, Willie Mason and Gidley - in the Australian team. If the NSW team was being picked today, you could add Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne and Danny Buderus and have 11 certainties. That leaves six spots up for grabs.

Here is the latest mail for NSW selection, with the focus on City-Country. Let the representative season begin.

FULLBACK: Stewart, who was picked for Country but ruled out because of a calf injury, narrowly missed out to Billy Slater in the Australian team and is a mile ahead for NSW selection. The injury might cause him to miss one game for Manly. If something else went wrong with him, the Blues might be forced to change plans and play Gidley at fullback, but at this stage there is nothing to worry about.

WING: Hayne has been down on form this season. There aren't a lot of other wing options available, so it's a stretch to suggest he is under pressure to hold his NSW spot, but he could do with a good game tonight, just to put minds at ease. The other wing spot is up for grabs, with Quinn, Rooney and Country centre Joel Monaghan all in the mix. There are conflicting reports about just how seriously Steve Turner (Melbourne) and Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers) are being considered.

CENTRE: Either Manly's Jamie Lyon or St George Illawarra's Matt Cooper will partner Gasnier. Lyon and Cooper were selected for Country, but withdrew because of personal reasons and injury respectively. Lyon has the edge at this stage, but it's still very open.

FIVE-EIGHTH: Anasta has gone off the boil in the last couple of weeks, but his form before that was excellent. He can play himself into the NSW team with a big game tonight, followed by another good one for the Roosters next week. If he doesn't aim up, then, no problem - the Blues will go with Bird.

HALFBACK: Gidley is the man. The rest of the halfbacks are battling it out in case he gets hurt - or if something goes wrong with fullback Stewart and Gidley is picked there instead.

LOCK: It all depends on whether Anasta pushes hard enough to get a start at five-eighth. Bird will be in the starting side at either lock or five-eighth. If he ends up at five-eighth, then Gallen will probably start at lock.

SECOND-ROW: The domino effect continues. Hoffman has one spot locked up and Gallen, who will definitely be in the team, can expect to be the other second-rower - unless Anasta misses out, Bird plays five-eighth and Gallen goes to lock. Tupou, Hindmarsh and Laffranchi would all be contenders if that second-row spot opened up.

PROP: There were concerns about Kite's early-season form, but he is clearly back in favour now, as his Test selection indicates. Gold Coast's Luke Bailey won't be considered because of injury. White is well placed to go to the front of the line with a big performance tonight, while Mason can always start there if necessary.

HOOKER: Buderus. If he gets hurt, who knows? Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah has been out injured for several weeks.

BENCH: Craig Wing, for NSW and Australia, proved the value of including a player who can cover hooker, halfback and five-eighth. The Blues won't go away from that, but with Gidley set to start the search is on for an alternative. Finch and Hornby will be under the microscope in Wollongong. If it's Gallen, Hoffman and Bird to start, then it's Tupou and Mason for the bench, with Laffranchi a big chance to grab the remaining spot. But Hindmarsh, Ryan, Chris Heighington and Ben Cross are in the mix as well.

Steve
02-05-08, 05:50 PM
To be honest, I'm surprised Rooney is even getting a look. I know he's actually scored a couple tries this year (as opposed to last) but really...

If I was going to pick anyone out of Penrith, it would have been Sammut. I know he's young, but hey, so's Pearce and Wallace.

dee13
02-05-08, 06:33 PM
I really don't see the point to this game at all. All it does is puts players at risk of injury. eg. our very own Preston Campbell last year.

What do these 2 teams actually play for. What reward is offered to the winner besides State of Origin selection. You will understand what Im talking about if Boof, Mini or Dizzle get injured tonight.

IMO, The Origin team is already selected. If a selector can't gauge who is inform and pick a State Of Origin side from the 8 rounds of footy prior to the series, then I think he isn't much of a selector.

I would like to see the City V Country game played like a residents game. Jim Beam Cup players V actual Country players. Then they play against the best from the QLD Cup and QLD Country areas in a State of Residency game.

Ryan
02-05-08, 07:35 PM
Just heard Gus on TV saying Fitzgibbon is playing front row to allow Lafrancci to play in his preffered position. What a champion :clap:

Paul
02-05-08, 08:22 PM
and Anthony scores

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Cowboy Titan
02-05-08, 08:25 PM
A great try that will hopefully clinch an Origin spot.

Paul
02-05-08, 09:01 PM
Delaneys in

all we need is Mini to score now and we have a titans trifecta :D

Paul
02-05-08, 09:36 PM
22 all

Great game

and allthe titans did themselves proud (and injury free *PHEW)

Tamwelg
02-05-08, 10:40 PM
I missed the game because I was working, but turned on the tv at work to see Anthony Laffranchi get man of the match :clap:

shamus
02-05-08, 11:04 PM
Whether you agree with the City/Country concept or not you should agree that is was a good game...not great but good. If you read (listen) between the lines of all the commentators couldn't shutup about Laffranchi during their commentary. It was almost like they were dropping hints to selectors. Didn't hurt that he got MOtM. I thought he had a great game as well but I thought Fitzgibbons was the best on the park.

It's after 10pm and what do I know.....

.......I know all 3 of the guys should be right for the Knights

nighty night Knights........and nighty night to everyone else...I hear Big Dog

P.S. I hope this post doesn't sound like it is bagging boof.........I love boof and every other Titan. I even still love Matilda.........but I hope we smash him

Dakink
03-05-08, 06:31 AM
What a thouroughly enjoyable game - plenty of feeling out there!

dee13
03-05-08, 06:58 AM
22-22. Like I said A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME.

The only result to come out of last night is 34 NRL players who are tired for this weekends round of real games.

Dakink
03-05-08, 07:01 AM
22-22. Like I said A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME.

The only result to come out of last night is 34 NRL players who are tired for this weekends round of real games.

HArdly a waste of time, ask any of the players there if it was a waste of time.

A great advertisement for the game, a top quality game and a number of fringe players put their cases forward to the NSW selectors.

I hope they continue to play this game yearly. I love it.

C-Whiz
03-05-08, 07:22 AM
Coaster got it exactly right! Good to have you back champ. City vs Country is an unnecessary interuption to the regular season of NRL.

Last night was a good game of RL, but that was about it. I don't think any of them did anything outstanding that they don't do week in, week out.

All the justifications for it are ridiculous.

1. It's a real test between the City and the Country for honour and bragging rights.
Um, no, it's just the same NRL players playing in different jumpers.

2. It's a real chance to impress the selectors for NSW jumpers.
OK, so Qld must just rely on the old "names out of a barrel" to pick their team. If you think NSW need to have this to pick a team then you are off your head on drugs.

3. It takes NRL to the country/regional areas.
Um, no.

TBH, I don't mind the game, but lets at least not pretend it's anything more than it really is. Just another game of RL using high profile players to try and sell some extra merchandise and possibly get some country folk to take an extra interest for that one game. It'd be different if it really still was a chance for country players to have a chance to impress selectors or even club talent scouts!

Dakink
03-05-08, 07:38 AM
Seriously?

Just another chance to get the country folk interested for that one game?

Dont be so patronising.

Dont know about you but plenty of country people take great pride in that game. As do ALL the players.

1. It is a real chance for bragging rights. Plenty of my mates are from the city and as we watched the game last night, trust me there was plenty of interest and banter.

2. NSW dont need this to select there SOO team, that is a given, but any chance to impress the selectors doesnt hurt. Do you think that Lafranchi played his way out of a jersey last night? This game does give an indication of the players mental strength. I think Quinn played himself out of a jersey with some errors last night.

3. As for taking the game to the country areas, did you see and feel the buzz in Lismore when the game came here a few years ago? The place was jumping. Any top level game that gets taken to the bush is good for the game. Lets just give the "country folk" token lip service with a game for some extra interest - please. The game in the bus needs all the help it can get or it will be solely the jurisdiction of the cities.

This game has many more benefits on a grander scale that people seem to be forgetting.

C-Whiz
03-05-08, 07:59 AM
1. It is a real chance for bragging rights. Plenty of my mates are from the city and as we watched the game last night, trust me there was plenty of interest and banter.As per any NRl game. I would GAURANTEE the Broncos vs Titans game is a better, more interesting QLD version of City vs Country, that had most RL fans watching, talking, bragging and despairing! And it will be longer remembered and referred to than City vs Country from last night.

2. NSW dont need this to select there SOO team, that is a given, but any chance to impress the selectors doesnt hurt. Do you think that Lafranchi played his way out of a jersey last night? This game does give an indication of the players mental strength. I think Quinn played himself out of a jersey with some errors last night.Let's just accept the "origin jersey" thing is a myth. This is what club games are for.

3. As for taking the game to the country areas, did you see and feel the buzz in Lismore when the game came here a few years ago? The place was jumping. Any top level game that gets taken to the bush is good for the game. Lets just give the "country folk" token lip service with a game for some extra interest - please. The game in the bus needs all the help it can get or it will be solely the jurisdiction of the cities.Which game? I went to the Titans Lismore trial game, and Lismore was packed. So you don't need City vs Country to get country RL fans interested in RL. It just gets non-RL country people interested for one game. Same as most of the country watched Australia in the Soccer World Cup, but we didn't suddenly declare our allegiance because of it.

This game has many more benefits on a grander scale that people seem to be forgetting.
Like what? It's just another game of RL, arguably at a rep level, that interferes with the actual NRL regular season. And to what benefit?

As I stated before, I am not totally against it, but let's not pretend it is more than it really is.

Titanium_BD1103
03-05-08, 09:30 AM
Dakink.... I've been arguing this point for a week now, you are not going to change the minds of people here... and they are entitled to their view, we will have ours and celebrate City vs Country for what it is, a great game... :)

Sadly, the tape I recorded the game on broke half way though in the VCR...so I missed the second half..:nope: ..if anyone has it and wants to send it to me, it would be great to watch the second half...:?)

As for the game, it was a great game of football, with a few putting their hand up like Laffranchi to be in the squad...sure the 7 jersey is no less clear and neither is any of the other positions, but at least for us New South Welshman, we know we have at least 34 players who are all capable of doing us proud if called to wear the sky blue jersey...:)

I would have liked a winner though, I am all for sharing the spoils, but not in a one off game...then again though, I do agree, you can't over exhaust those players who have to play this weekend.

Teegy
03-05-08, 09:42 AM
Decent Game but from a QLD point of view it was a waste of time. good performances from Laffranchi, T Carney and Monaghan but NSW proberly wont use any of them in game 1 even if Laffranchi should be the first one picked on form.

Dakink
03-05-08, 10:04 AM
Sounds like you are reading more into C-Whizz than is there...

You miss the point entirely about taking the game to the country. Sure NRL trial games are good, but rep games are better. Any exposure into the country areas is beneficial to a game that is facing massive challenges just to stay afloat in some areas, if this game keeps a group or clubs (or the game) going in an area then it is worth it just for that.

As for a genuine selection trial you have to be kidding, who really calls this a genuine selection trial with plenty of big names missing? Not me. This game is more about the fringe players getting a chance to impress in a bigger game, and for that this game hit center squarely.

Did you go to Lismore for the City Country game? The buzz was like the Titans game but larger. The area would have sold Oaks Oval out over again and again. A lot folk around here place huge importance on the Country game and the Country jersey. The country team in particluar were awesome ambassadors for the game, both teams travelled widely throughout the area promoting the game, City stayed in Lismore but Country stayed in Ballina. I am sick of seeing AFL clinics being held every where. Any attempt from the league to promote the game in the bush should be welcomed. At the present time AFL is a very distant last in regards to players and reputation, but they are forcing teams to come here. We had Essendon ( and high profile players) in previous years spruiking the game so we do have to be careful we dont get taken over.

Asfor the Broncos v Titans being a better game - [insert sarcasm]you think so?[end sarcasm] But what has that got to do with a City ORIGIN v Country ORIGIN?
Last time I looked the Titans and Broncos were full of players from both states and even various countries. That is not what this game is about. This game is about NSW Country v NSW City and has absolutely nothing to do with QLD....

I am most definately pretending it is more than what it is, I have never called it a genuine SOO selection trial, more a chance for Fringe players to impress.

I am passionate about this game, as are many more "Country Folk" down my way. Try heading out to Kyogle (Where Walker is from) and ask them how they feel about the game. Or Casino. OR Grafton? Or any country town for that matter. I dont think you will find many calling it a waste of time, especially if a local boy is playing.

I know that it doesnt hold much interest for QLD'ers but many people down here do take a great interest in the game. Anyways thats my views and I do hear where you are coming from, I just think you dont understand how much some bush people do love this game, and how much it does mean to them.

RLfan
03-05-08, 10:33 AM
Dakink.... I've been arguing this point for a week now, you are not going to change the minds of people here... and they are entitled to their view, we will have ours and celebrate City vs Country for what it is, a great game... :)

Sadly, the tape I recorded the game on broke half way though in the VCR...so I missed the second half..:nope: ..if anyone has it and wants to send it to me, it would be great to watch the second half...:?)

As for the game, it was a great game of football, with a few putting their hand up like Laffranchi to be in the squad...sure the 7 jersey is no less clear and neither is any of the other positions, but at least for us New South Welshman, we know we have at least 34 players who are all capable of doing us proud if called to wear the sky blue jersey...:)

I would have liked a winner though, I am all for sharing the spoils, but not in a one off game...then again though, I do agree, you can't over exhaust those players who have to play this weekend.

There is a replay on Austar or Foxtel so you might be able to catch it then.

Titanium_BD1103
03-05-08, 11:21 AM
Cool, thanks for that RLfan... I'll watch it there... :)

dee13
03-05-08, 02:10 PM
A great advertisement for the game, a top quality game and a number of fringe players put their cases forward to the NSW selectors.

These fringe players should be and are putting their case forward every week.

Im a City boy from Sydney and this game at one time had merit but I think with the amount of games these guys play today, selectors should be able to figure out who is in form without putting teams at risk of injured stars.

I fail to see how playing the game at WIN Stadium is taking it to country areas. Isn't that where St. George Illawarra play some of their home games. HARDLY TAKING IT TO THE COUNTRY.

I say bring some of the lads out of the bush to play against the Jim Beam Cups best. Let the talent scouts have a look at players who wouldn't usually get looked at much. Take the game to Parkes, Coffs Harbour, Albury, Goulburn or Lismore and televise it. THATS A CITY V COUNTRY GAME.

Hoppy2007Dragons
03-05-08, 08:19 PM
I fail to see how playing the game at WIN Stadium is taking it to country areas. Isn't that where St. George Illawarra play some of their home games. HARDLY TAKING IT TO THE COUNTRY

Still a rual location that has only seen two home games so far this year, it is a joint home stadium, so not that many games, i think the idea for being at wollongong, was last couple years has been up north in dubbo, coffs harbour etc, and this time was a little southern and is a central train location so people from all southern parts of nsw could attend the game.