PDA

View Full Version : Anderson backs Titans for title - Bailey out for longer

Tamwelg
24-04-08, 05:27 AM
Anderson backs Titans for title

Matt Marshall | April 24, 2008 12:00am

THE man who guided Melbourne to an NRL premiership in its second year says the Gold Coast can do the same in 2008.

Former Test coach Chris Anderson last night heralded the Titans a genuine title contender and said rival clubs could help their cause by continuing to underestimate the competition leaders.

His assessment came as co-captain Luke Bailey was dealt a fresh blow on his broken arm, an updated diagnosis ruling him out for a further six weeks.

While already out of the May 9 Centenary Test, Bailey had hoped to be back in round 9 to press his NSW claims but will now miss the first two Origins.

Anderson sees similarities between the Scott Prince-led Titans and the Brett Kimmorley-inspired Storm side that won the 1999 crown over red-hot favourites St George Illawarra after entering the competition in 1998.

"Second year in, you still get taken a bit easy because no one has a long rap sheet on you as yet," Anderson said.

"There's no history of expectation from other teams. You get two, three years' grace before teams say, 'they're a pretty good team, we need to be on our game when we go up there'.

"The rivalry is not in the back of their mind ? they're not playing against St George, Canterbury or sides like that who have a history of success.

"When that's not there, the perception is that they're still getting it together as a team."

Anderson has been impressed with the Coast's custom-built side, and says coach John Cartwright has the jump on his peers.

"It's not very often that a coach can pick the team he wants," Anderson said.

"He usually inherits a team, but to have the opportunity to pick your own team is a good thing.

"We picked some good players (at Melbourne) but first year especially, we were an unknown quantity so we got away with a bit there. We were taken lightly."

Anderson has not been surprised by the Titans' pacesetting in the early rounds after finishing 12th last year.

"You need to build on what you create and the Titans are certainly doing that," he said.

"They had a good first season and they've gone in with a bit more confidence and built from that."

Anderson has been impressed with the Titans' expansive attacking game and their ability to play free-flowing football under the blowtorch.

"I think they're a contender. Their attack is as good as anyone's," he said.

Titans prop Brad Meyers (wrist) has been cleared to take his place against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Steve
24-04-08, 07:46 AM
Crap, bad news about Bailey. Our lads are stepping up in his absence, but with the form he was in, we're gonna miss him big time.
At least he'll come back fresh and ready to go for the tail end of the year.

Chaos
24-04-08, 07:48 AM
shhhh...the comp expects Titan supporters to rate the Titans but we don't wont to be rated by other coaches.
I like the underdog tag.

C-Whiz
24-04-08, 07:49 AM
Anderson telling us what we already know!

Spewing about the Bull. I might have to trade him out of my fantasy team. :D
Seriously, it is a blow, but maybe having him fresh at the back end of the season could be a blessing? As long as the other boys keep the roll on, Bull will be fresh, fit and fired up for the charge into the finals.

shavenjas
24-04-08, 10:30 AM
I think the Titans can make the 8 this year but they are not a September team as yet, a injury to Prince and it would be like trying to fly a 747 without out the engines, they would slowly glide back down the ladder:nope:

Hoppy2007Dragons
24-04-08, 12:14 PM
A bit like the broncos without Lockyer, except they can't get off the runway come september. :p

ps. welcome back.

shavenjas
24-04-08, 12:32 PM
A bit like the broncos without Lockyer, except they can't get off the runway come september. :p

ps. welcome back.

Where is the Dragons plane? thats right it crashed and burned back in 2006.
Hey mate good to be back
do ya like your new coach for 2009?

Hoppy2007Dragons
24-04-08, 02:02 PM
I love my new coach for 09, maybe u can enjoy a few years as a bridesmaid :D

eelectrica
24-04-08, 10:33 PM
Gotta make the 8 first, then we can worry about the title afterwards.
At least we've got a bye coming up so that's one less game for Bailey to miss. Fingers crossed their are no more setbacks for the Bull.