PDA

View Full Version : Titans offer to help Smith

Darren Lockyer
21-04-08, 06:03 PM
By Todd Balym
April 21, 2008 TITANS chief executive Michael Searle has offered support for struggling Parramatta halfback Tim Smith as he battles with bipolar disorder with his family on the Gold Coast.

Smith sought indefinite leave from the Eels last week so he could reunite with his family on the Gold Coast to help manage his mental illness.

The 23-year-old has given no indication of if or when he will return to Sydney to resume his NRL career.

There has been speculation Parramatta would release Smith from the final two years of his contract as early as this week so they could put forward an offer to retain off-contract halfback Brett Finch.

Searle was spotted with Smith at the weekend but said he had simply offered the troubled young star support and assistance while he was in town.

?I went up to him when I saw him there and I gave him my number,? said Searle.

?That way he has my number in his phone if ever he needs to have anyone to support or help him while he is up here. He can call us any time ... if he gets caught in any situation.

?It was more to provide him with some support, that is something I think the whole football community can do to look after him.?

The Titans are sympathetic to Smith's situation given their commitment to help rehabilitate wayward winger Chris Walker when he confronted similar demons last season.

Searle is proud of the club's work helping Walker and says the most important thing for Smith now is to focus solely on his health and not football.

It is this reason why Searle did not even discuss football with Smith on the weekend.

The Titans have made no secret of their desire to recruit Gold Coast juniors to the club but Searle said he'd had absolutely no discussion with Smith over the prospect of joining the ladder leaders in the future.

?I'm more concerned with Tim's personal wellbeing right now,? said Searle.

AAP

DIEHARD
21-04-08, 06:34 PM
That is fantastic news. I love seeing the rugby league community closing ranks and helping each other out, with the best example being the fantastic Men of League organisation which all fans should be assocate members of at least.

Following that spirit, it's great to see the Titans and Michael Searle championing it, just being good human beings.

We can all take heed of that example in our every day lives, nothing to do with footy.

Paul
21-04-08, 06:36 PM
Michael Searle seems like a real champ with most things he does/says. I'm also glad we have offered support to Tim Smith, the kid is unwell and it must be nice to know a footy team other than your own has their hand out to help.

Not many CEO's would walk down to the crowd to have a chat during the toyota cup game while it was pissing down with rain like he did last week

Glad he's our boss :salute:

eelectrica
21-04-08, 07:19 PM
Michael Searle proving once again he's a class act.
Sounds like Tim needs all the help he can get and the Titans have had success dealing with similar problems. I'm sure Timmy would appreciate any advice offered.

~lee~
21-04-08, 08:40 PM
Well done to Michael Searle, going out of his way to offer help to a fellow league man. Lets hope timmy takes all the advice and help on board. In a show of good faith between the eels and the titans if you want to send Scotty Prince down to sydney we will be more than happy to take him under our wing. hint hint.

Paul
21-04-08, 08:45 PM
Well done to Michael Searle, going out of his way to offer help to a fellow league man. Lets hope timmy takes all the advice and help on board. In a show of good faith between the eels and the titans if you want to send Scotty Prince down to sydney we will be more than happy to take him under our wing. hint hint.

my mate described Parra as this after their performances this year

has anyone ever seen a softer pack of rooster wannabe, latte sipping, headline seeking, mummy's boy, cashed up bogans than the eels?

Boofhead
21-04-08, 08:53 PM
I have to say though, if anything happens to Prince - Smith would be a great ace to pull out of the sleeve.

Netherless, good on ya Searle.

Boonarga
21-04-08, 10:58 PM
This is yet another reason why I'm proud to be a supporter of this club. I hope Searle is here for the next 40 years.

xdog
22-04-08, 08:54 PM
This is yet another reason why I'm proud to be a supporter of this club. I hope Searle is here for the next 40 years.

Could not agree more. Michael Searle has reset the standard and this is yet another example.

I hope Tim can sort out his problems. He reached great heights dispite this bloody illness.He deserves all the support he can get.

Paul
22-04-08, 08:57 PM
I couldn't believe how HUGE Searle is,not fat but just massive in height and build

TITAN PETE
23-04-08, 11:27 AM
I couldn't believe how HUGE Searle is,not fat but just massive in height and build

He was once a very good Front Rower ;)

Dragons
23-04-08, 08:00 PM

He was big when he played for Burleigh and Queensland Residents in the late more mid 90's. There was another player from Burleigh that played in the Resident side with him (can't remember his name) but he could box. He had the Rocky look too.

patskE
24-04-08, 04:59 PM
eels have released tim from his contract
could this be a sign of things to come lol?

Tamwelg
24-04-08, 05:21 PM
My tip for 2009 Tim Smith gets his bipolar under control and wishes to return to rugby league, but remain near his family on the Gold Coast :dizzy: Titans to pick him up for next to nothing