PDA

View Full Version : Wallace a dark horse for Origin

Grimmace
28-03-08, 02:42 PM
Wallace a dark horse for Origin

March 27, 2008

NEW Brisbane half-back Peter Wallace could emerge as a New South Wales Origin bolter if he measures up against North Queensland No.7 Johnathan Thurston at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

The 22 year-old Penrith discard is not allowing himself to think about representative football despite his impressive start with Brisbane.

But it's understood he's already caught the eye of some NSW selectors with impressive performances against his former NRL club and again as man-of-the-match in Brisbane's 20-14 win over the Roosters.

Should he pull out another strong performance against two-time Dally M winner Thurston, regarded as the world's best half-back, he'd suddenly leapfrog a list of players already under Origin consideration.

It wouldn't be out of the question for selectors to test Wallace's representative potential in the annual City-Country clash at Wollongong's WIN Stadium on May 2.

The Blues need to shore up their future half-back stocks with Andrew Johns (retired) and Craig Gower playing rugby union in France.

Last year they used Sharks veteran Brett Kimmorley and Johns's young Newcastle understudy Jarrod Mullen in the 2-1 State of Origin series loss to Queensland.

Wallace is eligible to play for City after coming through Penrith's junior nursery.

With Kimmorley, Todd Carney, Mullen and Brett Finch all eligible for Country, NSW selectors could opt to trial Wallace ahead of Manly's Matt Orford as City half-back.

They already know what Kimmorley, Finch and to a lesser extent Mullen can do at Origin level and Wallace looks tough enough and composed enough to at least be worth a look if he continues to progress.

"I haven't thought about that at all," said Wallace, more worried about the dual threat posed by Thurston and full-back Matt Bowen on Friday night.

"It would be awesome if I got offered an opportunity but I haven't really thought about it."

Assistant coach Ivan Henjak said Wallace continued to impress with his organisational skills and composure.

"He's getting better all the time," said Henjak.

"He's up against a very good player (Thurston) but I don't think that will faze Peter.

"Peter is very confident in what he does. The thing about him is pressure doesn't seem to worry him."

Brisbane meanwhile delayed a decision on whether fullback Karmichael Hunt, who escaped suspension at the judiciary last night, plays after a knee injury again prevented him training today.

"He's pretty close. We'll see how he is tomorrow," said Henjak.

If Hunt fails to come up trumps, Darius Boyd will switch to full-back with speed machine Denan Kemp coming onto the wing.

Wallace said after training past experiences had taught him not to waste energy thinking about playing games too early.

"When I was younger I'd think about the game during the week," he said.

"I'd think about it all week and then it would come to game day I'd be flat and play no good.

"I try to switch on at training and then switch off and not waste too much nervous energy."

Has he thought about the challenge posed by Thurston?

"No, I haven't," he said.

"All I know is he and Matty Bowen are a very dangerous combination who have to be watched all the time."

AAP

jenwood
28-03-08, 03:07 PM
After watching Wallace in both games for Brisbane I am impressed! He certainly has he talent but also the organisational skills and quick-thinking of a much more seasoned NRL player. When he started both games for Brisbane without Lockyer out there he was very composed and seemed very comfortable running the team around. He has taken a lot of pressure off Lockyer and I hope he does get a run at half-back for nsw. I dont see any other no7 who is eligible that is doing a better job at the moment. Anyway that's my take on things. Having said that-
GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TITAN PETE
28-03-08, 03:25 PM
After watching Wallace in both games for Brisbane I am impressed! He certainly has he talent but also the organisational skills and quick-thinking of a much more seasoned NRL player. When he started both games for Brisbane without Lockyer out there he was very composed and seemed very comfortable running the team around. He has taken a lot of pressure off Lockyer and I hope he does get a run at half-back for nsw. I dont see any other no7 who is eligible that is doing a better job at the moment. Anyway that's my take on things. Having said that-
GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a similar opinion of Wallace & he would be my NSW no7 along with Bird at 6 ;)
Jen do you have the same HATE for the Blues as your husband :laugh:

Tell him i said g'day & GO YOU BLUES!!!!!!!!!

Steve
28-03-08, 04:04 PM
I'd be going with Orford. I really don't know what the guy has to do to get a run.

I for one haven't been impressed with Wallace. Especially in round 1, he made a lot of mistakes. Lockyer coming on is what changed the game, not Wallace.

goldcoastitans
28-03-08, 04:27 PM
I'd be going with Orford. I really don't know what the guy has to do to get a run.

I for one haven't been impressed with Wallace. Especially in round 1, he made a lot of mistakes. Lockyer coming on is what changed the game, not Wallace.

totally agree with you Steve

jenwood
28-03-08, 04:59 PM
I have a similar opinion of Wallace & he would be my NSW no7 along with Bird at 6 ;)
Jen do you have the same HATE for the Blues as your husband :laugh:

Tell him i said g'day & GO YOU BLUES!!!!!!!!!

Hey Titan Pete- agree with you about bird at no 6- he has the passion and aggression that nsw have lacked for the last few years! Wish he was a maroon- he would be a fine replacement for Locky when he retires! When it comes to Origin yes I share Drews hatred of anything blue! However in our Gold group of 26 our family of four is outnumbered by ****roaches 22 to 4 so I have to be nice LOL;) . But when it comes to origin I only see maroon!
GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS:fight: :fight: :fight: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
28-03-08, 08:04 PM
If he scores the first try tonight and the broncs win by 13+ I'm quitting my job tomorrow :D

jenwood
28-03-08, 09:39 PM
If he scores the first try tonight and the broncs win by 13+ I'm quitting my job tomorrow :D

Well he didnt score the first try but I think you better start drafting your resignation letter. The Broncos are on fire!

Paul
28-03-08, 09:50 PM
Well he didnt score the first try but I think you better start drafting your resignation letter. The Broncos are on fire!

Unfortunately it was a multibet so I needed both to happen

I imagine Hannant for first try and 13+ would of been HUGE odds