PDA

View Full Version : Relay For Life - Legion Team

Steve
27-03-08, 12:15 AM
I know this is hot on the heels of the greatest shave, and C-Whiz has done great with some amazing support from the forum, but the relay isn't too far off , so there's not a lot of time to get organised.

Something I've thought we could do for a while is the Relay For Life. This is a chance for a group of us to come together to help fundraise for the cancer council, so I've registered a team. I've spoken to a few people who are keen, but we need more! http://www.cancerqld.org.au/events/rfl.asp

Basics are, we need a team of 15 to participate in a relay from 3pm to 9am.
They ask people to aim to raise $100 each, and $1,000 for the team. Of course, more is welcome. The Gold Coast relay is on the 31st May to 1st June, which also happens to be an away game weekend for us.

Each team is allocated a camp site, so you can bring a shade cloth, tents, banners and set up camp for the night. To keep things interesting, there's a few competitions.
Highest Fundraising Team
Okay, we'd be out of this one, some of these people spend 12 months fundraising between events.

Best Themed Team and Campsite
Basically you decorate your campsite and you can dress up the team to match a theme. Their example is Dress as rabbits - Hopping for a Cure
If we did a legion/soldier theme we could be fighting for a cure, or we could go with rugby league related, anything really, ideas are welcome.

Wackiest Hat
At midnight there's a wackiest hat parade. The biggest, brightest and strangest hat wins!

Spirit of Relay
Prizes awarded to the team/person/supporter who captures the essence of Relay.

Sunsmart Team
Awarded to the team that incorporates the best Sunsmart message in their team theme.

Kookiest Letterbox
No idea about this one! To quote, "Don't forget to make a letterbox. You can promote your sponsors by post during the event. Send ransom notes to other teams, invitations to join your team for a midnight snack or for a game of cards."

So what actually happens on the day?

Opening Ceremony
As the Relay For Life Oath is read, the faces of the participants tell a story; a personal story of challenge, strength and hope tha will drive them through the hours and laps that lie ahead.

Survivors Walk
The first lap honours cancer survivors who take to the track proudly wearing red sashes, joined by their carers adorned in green sashes. All participants cluster around the track to applaud the courage of those in red and the strength and support provided by those in green.

Candelight Ceremony
This is the defining element of Relay For Life. It is a time to remember those lost to cancer and to show support for those living with cancer. The candle tribute bags line the track inscribed with personal messages of love and support, and as they burn throughout the night, they guide and inspire tired bodies to keep on going.

Closing Ceremony
The final lap at each Relay For Life captures the sense of camaraderie by enabling all team members to walk together and reflect on their achievement. Fond memories and new friendships have ben forged under a united hope and belief. Prizes are awarded and final fundraising total is announced.

So I'm not asking for donations (of course they're welcome!), but for people to join the team. They recommend 15, but we can have more.

There's plenty of ways to fundraise, from straight donations (all donations over $2 are tax deductable), through to trivia nights, poker nights, parties, anything you can think of, really.

I know this is a lot to read, but I tried to keep it brief! If you'd like to join the team or want to ask any questions, let me know!

And just for interest, in 2007 the Cancer Council on the Gold Coast helped 194 women attend Look Good-Feel Better Workshops. 281 turbans and 82 wigs were loaned free to local cancer patients and 9 Seize the Day study awards were given to Gold Coast teenagers who have a family member going through cancer to assist with their studies. That's just some of the ways the local community has been directly helped by funds raised.

Steve
27-03-08, 12:27 AM
My personal experience with the Relay was something I couldn't have imagined.

It began early, helping the team captain set up camp in the morning, We spent the rest of the day relaxing before heading back in the afternoon for the relay.

The survivors walk was quite moving, especially seeing children making that lap. No child should ever have to suffer through cancer.

Once we got underway things lightened up. There's bands playing all day and into the night, we had fun checking out the other camps, many of which had games set up. While you must have one person carrying your baton at all times, anyone can walk, so for most of the day we were mostly in a group, often swapping baton carriers with every lap.

It got dark, and someone who couldn't join the team visited with boxes of pizza, definitely a welcome visit! We'd settled in by now, only 1 or 2 walkers. But some other visitors came and joined in, some running laps, racing around the track.

The candlelight ceremony is something I wasn't prepared for.
We wrote messages on small paper bags to be filled with sand then a candle. Then we all did a lap of the track carrying the lit candles before lining the track with them. I struggled to think of anyone I knew who'd had cancer and couldn't think of anyone. (In 2 short years, how that's changed!)
But one of my friends had lost her mother, and she struggled to hold back tears while writing her message. During the walk she completely broke down. It was such a heartbreaking moment.

Later in the night, the bands finally stop, people settle down to rest, and we were walking in pairs. Getting to know people on the team I'd never met before, and my friend who's mother had died opened up to me about it. She told me more in that night than she'd told her best friend in the years since it had happened. As sad as it was, I think it helped.

I couldn't sleep, so walked most of the night, it got cold, it rained, and by morning we were all totally exhausted, and a group member who'd not been there the whole time turned up for her morning jog, took over for us, thank god!

I'd gone into the relay thinking, "This will be fun!" and it was! But it was also a lot more, and one of those life experiences that I'll never forget.

DIEHARD
27-03-08, 10:26 AM
Steve brought this idea up to me a couple of months ago and I think it is fantastic.

I would especially like to do it for MoeJoe (Shawn). And the irony is he was also a Cronulla fan and the event is staged when the Titans play the Sharks AWAY.

I know we have a lot of other reasons to do it, such as Doug's son. And I'm sure there are unfortunately a lot more other instances that fans have been touched by cancer that they would like to walk for.

Count me in Stevo. I also talked to Goatus about this a while ago and he is in as well.

Steve
28-03-08, 10:08 AM
That's great.
Just need another dozen now! ;)

With Moejoe's slip slop slap message, the Sunsmart Team award is something we could aim for.

Also, have had staff from an art website that sells prints and tshirts offer to help out, so that could be a big plus.

titanstattman
28-03-08, 10:10 AM
I did this walk last year here on the coast at evandale with my sisters work it was just a great night got to meet alot of great ppl and rised alot of money i think all up we rised about $12,600 so it was a great night and i walked nearly all of the hours but every 2 laps was a refill of the glass ;););).

For this year i would like to join ur group for the walk.

Steve
28-03-08, 10:18 AM
You're definitely most welcome to join us, Doug.

$12,000 is a great amount to raise, I'll be happy if we manage $1,000!
Sounds like we might need some hangover cures for the morning! :drinkies:

GCT_89
28-03-08, 10:40 AM
i would love to join, its for a great cause......

ive just never been any good at raising money......

so count me in as interested atm..........

what weekend is it?

Steve
28-03-08, 11:10 AM
It's on 31st May to 1st June, an away game for us!

I'm not terribly good at raising money either, but any amount helps.
$100 a person I think is an achievable goal too, although I know I didn't get that much the year I did it!

titanstattman
28-03-08, 01:00 PM
To me its not always about raising the most money its also about being part of the raise to show ur surport to the ppl who have been touched by cancer or are going thu it now by just being part of it can get other ppl like friends and other familey members to get involed.

Steve
28-03-08, 01:39 PM
To me its not always about raising the most money its also about being part of the raise to show ur surport to the ppl who have been touched by cancer or are going thu it now by just being part of it can get other ppl like friends and other familey members to get involed.

That's spot on. The funds make a real difference in people's lives, but it's also about raising awareness, and I think the walk itself helps people. It's beyond my ability with words to describe how, but I've seen it first hand, and it really does help.

C-Whiz
29-03-08, 04:38 PM
Hey, if I'm free I'll be in for this. I won't really know until it gets closer, but I could still help with awareness and fund-raising. As can anyone else who can't actually attend. :)

DIEHARD
30-03-08, 12:37 AM
It's also a coping mechanism. And a celebration of beating it and giving hope to others. But also a chance to remember the ones we sadly lost.

And I'm sure Steve can vouch for how moving it is and you can learn alot about life from the stories of others, he definitely came away from last year's event a different person and has been the first to suggest us doing this for months.

Steve
30-03-08, 09:26 PM
Hey, if I'm free I'll be in for this. I won't really know until it gets closer, but I could still help with awareness and fund-raising. As can anyone else who can't actually attend. :)

That'll be awesome.

I have some receipt books already, unfortunately they only give you 2 to share around, but if anyone collects any donations I'm sure we can sort something out.

So far from the forum we've got C-Whiz, GCT_89, titanstattman, DIEHARD, Goatus and me. I've had 3 friends so far say they want to help. And remember, it is a family event, friends and family are more than welcome.

Steve
03-04-08, 05:05 PM
This is coming up quickly!
For those who want to be involved, I need to fill in a registration sheet. This requires name, address, email, phone, etc. Also shirt size. They also ask if you're a cancer survivor and if so, if you will be participating in the survivor's walk.
It requires a signature, so I'll have to bring the form to a game.
Unfortunately I won't be able to make saturday's game, next one for me is the Broncos.
To help cover the administration costs and the tshirt that everyone receives, there is a $10 per person registration fee. This is to ensure all money raised goes to help people rather than paying for the relay.

I need to get the form in as soon as possible to get the ball rolling. If you like you can PM me your details and I can fill it in for you, then you just need to sign the form when I see you.

The GC relay is aiming for 100 teams, and so far we're at 69. The fundraising target is $180,000 and so far $45,000 has been deposited. Hopefully we can add to that. :D

Also, if you've recruited any friends and family let me know. We don't have a big enough team yet!

Steve
03-04-08, 05:08 PM
Fundraising from the event makes a real difference on the Gold Coast. In 2007:
202 Breast Cancer patients were seen by trained Breast Cancer Support Volunteers.
363 nurses participated in the Oncology Nurses Group Cancer Education courses.
110 Childcare Centres were recognised for their Sun Protection practices under the SunSmart Early Childhood Centres Program and 51 schools were involved with the National SunSmart Schools Program.

In the recent newsletter, there was a guide on how to raise $150 in 10 days.
Probably a few small things we could all do.

Day 1: Put your own $10 in

Day 2: Ask your partner for $10

Day 3: Place a container at your local store or caf?

Day 4: Ask two of your co workers for $10 each

Day 5: Ask three friends for $10

Day 6: Ask two relatives for $10

Day 7: Ask a neighbour for $10

Day 8: Ask two people from your local church or community group for $10

Day 9: Ask your boss for $10

Day 10: Ask another neighbour for $10

Steve
07-04-08, 11:26 PM
Got an update!

Went to the team captain meeting this evening.
It was good to get a few points clarified.

There is no set theme for the relay, so we can do pretty much anything we like. Any ideas? Or do we run with a footy theme?

I picked up a few Cancer Council money boxes that can be used for collecting coin donations. So if anyone has a workplace where they'll be able to put one, let me know.

The zany letterbox thing. Basically you get creative and make a big letterbox to put in your camp. People can use it for shenanigans, but also if you get sponsorship from a business, you can then drop flyers into the letterboxes as you walk the circuit. The aim is for 100 teams and assuming 15 on a team, that's 1,500 people their ad would be reaching, not to mention 1,500 people very appreciative of their support. So one idea would be to canvas local businesses, or even your own work to drum up some support and sponsorship in exchange for advertising.

There are art union tickets available too, apparently they're good sellers. I'll pick some up this week, so if you want a book let me know.

Apparently the walk is actually on the path around the lake, so that'll be a nice backdrop, and Austar set up a big screen, so if the Titans game is on that night, we may get to watch! Although one woman at the meeting asked for the AFL this time.

They have a competition involving 'funny money'. This is where you set up a game or an activity at the camp and charge people 'funny money' to play.

There's a prize for the team with the most funny money at the end, but it's not a big thing, mainly just something fun to do during the day.
Idea that came to mind is one of those cardboard cut out things you see outside the footy for kids to pass the ball through the hole.
Apparently one of the teams will have a qualified masseuse on hand for the funny money!

daveyk
12-04-08, 01:27 PM
you count me in for sure, i am already doing the relay again this year.... cant wait for it... would have to be one of the best events of the year

DIEHARD
20-04-08, 07:26 PM
Looking forward to this very much.

Steve
22-04-08, 01:48 PM
Well, I've got 8 names on the registration form, aiming for at least 15.

I'll be bringing the form to the game on sunday, so come see me and put your name down.

Just a reminder, there's a $10 registration fee per person, so if you can have that with you too, that'd be great. Need to get all this in, there's not much time left.

I'm going to try to grab some art union tickets, so if you want some of those to sell, let me know. Also, if you work in a place where you can put a moneybox to collect donations I have a couple. Again, let me know and I'll bring one along.

C-Whiz
22-04-08, 01:57 PM
Well, I've got 8 names on the registration form, aiming for at least 15.

I'll be bringing the form to the game on sunday, so come see me and put your name down.

Sweet Steve, I'll see you on Sunday. ATM I haven't got any thing to stop me being part of it so I don't see any reason i can't make it. Put me down and I'l give you the money on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Steve
22-04-08, 02:00 PM
Sweet Steve, I'll see you on Sunday. ATM I haven't got any thing to stop me being part of it so I don't see any reason i can't make it. Put me down and I'l give you the money on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Awesome!
Even if something comes up on the day, help with the fundraising beforehand is always good. :D But the more walkers we have the better, means less we have to do!

titanstattman
22-04-08, 06:12 PM
see you on sunday cuz im in to this...

BringBackWillie
29-04-08, 07:44 PM
Hey Steve, forgot to buy raffles from you on Sunday. When is it - will see if I make it up for another game to pass on the $$$

DIEHARD
30-04-08, 08:33 PM
Steve hopefulyl we can catch up if we go to watch the mighty Titans play the Knights at Crushers Leagues on Saturday. We'll have to try and get Goatus along as well. And we can get some $$$ out of him and I can pay you my registration fee.

Steve
07-05-08, 05:32 PM
Well! The relay is fast approaching.

For anyone who wants to donate, unfortunately there's no easy website to click to like with the World's Greatest Shave, but I've set up a donation option on my paypal account.

click here! (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=werchmech%40hotmail%2ecom&item_name=The%20Legion%20Relay%20For%20Life%20Team&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=AUD&lc=AU&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&ch****t=UTF%2d8)

You can click on the link and donate that way. Every dollar helps! I can also post you a receipt for donations over $2If you go to the games you can also catch any of the team members there to donate.

daveyk
07-05-08, 05:38 PM
i had a moment the other day... i thought the relay was on the 30th which i also thought was the saturday night and i was booked to play a gig....

well as it may happen... I GOT IT ALL WRONG... my gig is on the friday night

i am very much relieved now that i WILL NOT be missing out on walking for what is a wonderful cause...

Steve, make sure you get my reg fee from me @ the bulldogs game...

DIEHARD
07-05-08, 05:53 PM
i had a moment the other day... i thought the relay was on the 30th which i also thought was the saturday night and i was booked to play a gig....

well as it may happen... I GOT IT ALL WRONG... my gig is on the friday night

i am very much relieved now that i WILL NOT be missing out on walking for what is a wonderful cause...

Steve, make sure you get my reg fee from me @ the bulldogs game...

Wow thats great luck!

I have raised $60 so far in my collection tin and selling my raffle tickets.

Looking forward to the event.

We all definitely have to give Steve our reg fees at the next game.

Little Miss Legion
07-05-08, 07:20 PM
i would like to join the team i will come with Hully Gully (i'm childrens size t-shirt)my mum and brother and friends may also attend depending on work rosters.c u at the dogs!!!

Steve
09-05-08, 01:25 PM
It'd be great to have you on the team, Little Miss Legion. :D

Willie, i think Brad has some raffle tickets, so fingers crossed he packed them to take down, that'd be easiest. (Although more than likely his bags are empty to make room for comics.)

Will do, Davey!
Also need to collect from DIEHARD, Goatus, Dannyboi, Hully Gully, and will bring the sign up form so Hully can sign up Little Miss Legion too!

titanstattman
09-05-08, 01:42 PM
Hey stevo can i get sum tickets books at the dog games as money as u can give me cuz on my travells i can sell them as i go

Steve
09-05-08, 01:53 PM
Hey stevo can i get sum tickets books at the dog games as money as u can give me cuz on my travells i can sell them as i go

Definitely! I have a couple books left. Can always get more too.

titanstattman
09-05-08, 02:01 PM

Just wonding how many in a book????? and how much?

Steve
09-05-08, 02:32 PM
Just wonding how many in a book????? and how much?

There's 20 in a book at $2 each I believe.
The money for these has to be deposited separately to the other money raised too.

daveyk
10-05-08, 10:48 AM
steve...

can u bring some extra forms with you too the dogs game as i am goin to sign up the girls too.... they just dont know it yet, but they WILL be walking....

i am so cruel.... lol

DIEHARD
11-05-08, 10:51 PM
And as Steve suggested, we'll have a Titans footy as our relay baton.

Really looking forward to this event and experience. We are all been affected by cancer so this is a great time to remember and celebrate them and also come together and raise money to fight cancer.

It's been great meeting all you guys, the Titans fans. I'm delighted because you are all the type of people I would consider friends outside of football.

Steve
12-05-08, 08:47 AM
I've photocopied the pages so we can add more, will have them at the game. :D

GCT_89
12-05-08, 09:28 AM
im actually looking forward to this, never done anthing like this before....

-so its going to be NRL/TITANS/LEGION themed?
-Titans footy as the batton
-sign with hole in it for passing footy through
-Banners and flags galore (do we bring a gazebo kinda thing or whats the deal? steve please fill me in.....lol)
-we could even be in the running for some of the sections like craziest hat......especially if we all wear our LEGION helmets

-could hand out flyers for the next home game (being the monday night game against storm on june 6)
-possibly even offer tickets (2) in the LEGION section for storm game-which id gladly donate...........(as im hopeless at raising money.....lol)

we need to get alot of ideas out there..... its only a few weeks away.....

EDIT:
TITANS based - Strength to Survive/Stand Strong/Stand Tall?
LEGION based - Stand as One/Unite as One?
NRL - Finding a common ground?

sorry just trying to think of some theme motto things..............

Also have a sign: REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!! - Moejoe/real name RIP something something?

Steve
12-05-08, 11:12 AM
I thought footy based would be the go. We have the stuff already. Add some bandages to the head, some black grease under the eyes, adds a bit of fun, and use our banners and flags to decorate the camp. That's easiest option.

Not sure what to do for a kooky letterbox though. Any ideas?

As Brad said, a footy for our baton. Maybe a smaller novelty one, carrying a normal sized footy for 18 hours might get tedious. I'll have a look around.

The worry with asking for money at the games is... well it's not really allowed. I believe C-Whiz looked into it when doing the shave.

Oh, and I think Doug said he has a gazebo thing he can bring. A big tent could be good too. We'll need somewhere to put our stuff and well, it might rain! It's probably best to avoid everyone bringing a tent, but people are going to want to sleep, so if someone has a bunch of spare mattresses they can drag along and we can organise somewhere to put them, we should be set.

I think doing something specific to MoeJoe/slip slop slap is a great idea, and works well with the sunsmart team award.
So, any ideas on that front?
Just to recap some of the stuff on...

Best Themed Team and Campsite
Basically you decorate your campsite and you can dress up the team to match a theme. Their example is Dress as rabbits - Hopping for a Cure
If we did a legion/soldier theme we could be fighting for a cure, or we could go with rugby league related, anything really, ideas are welcome.

Wackiest Hat
At midnight there's a wackiest hat parade. The biggest, brightest and strangest hat wins!

Spirit of Relay
Prizes awarded to the team/person/supporter who captures the essence of Relay.

Sunsmart Team
Awarded to the team that incorporates the best Sunsmart message in their team theme.

Kookiest Letterbox
No idea about this one! To quote, "Don't forget to make a letterbox. You can promote your sponsors by post during the event. Send ransom notes to other teams, invitations to join your team for a midnight snack or for a game of cards."

daveyk
12-05-08, 08:52 PM
last year, my sisters camp had about 3 decent sized tents... i think it all depends on where our site will be...

steve.. do they allocate you one or does someone have to be there ealry to grab one???

Steve
12-05-08, 08:59 PM
You just get there early and find a spot. Some people go in far too early, even so far as to camp the night before, but that pisses off the council.
Piss off the council and they say no more relay.

From what they said there's heaps of room and no real need to allocate. People tend to bunch up on one side, but you have to walk all the way around the lake, and it's usually empty on the other side.

This of course made no sense to me, because I've never been there to know what they're talking about. :D

daveyk
12-05-08, 09:13 PM
there is a lake behind the arts centre, and people camp all the way around, even around the back... i think the best spot will be where my sisters firm were last year, and that is on the southern side of the lake..

cant wait for this one....

daveyk
15-05-08, 04:30 PM
hey all

was thinking about this today.... coz we are going with a titans/nrl themed camp site / team

maybe it would be a good idea if we could get some of the players there at somestage through out the relay

yes i do know that this is an away game for us, but maybe some of the players that dont get picked for the team could join us and lend a helping hand for charity

i have no idea (or the time :( ) on who to contact for this, but if someone has any contacts with management and get could get something organised, i think that would be a great boost to the relay for life...

cheers...

Steve
15-05-08, 06:48 PM
That's a great idea. They do have something on the website for player appearances. I'm wondering who'd be in Brisbane. Maybe Walker?

Maybe Blade can pay us a visit. :D

Dragons
15-05-08, 06:56 PM

Just wondering how many books you can get? I would be interested to do the walk as my missus had breast cancer(maybe I could get her to do the relay also). I could sell a lot of tickets at school.

DIEHARD
16-05-08, 12:12 AM
Just wondering how many books you can get? I would be interested to do the walk as my missus had breast cancer(maybe I could get her to do the relay also). I could sell a lot of tickets at school.

It'll be fantastic to have you on board. Steve will be a busy man tonight!

Steve
21-05-08, 11:32 AM

Oh sorry, I didn't see your post!

Being a week out, we're probably running out of time. I was actually just coming to post to let everyone know that we need to get the money in BEFORE the event if possible. Can't give it to them there, they don't have cash handling facilities. You're still welcome to take part in the relay!

So yes, guys, if you've raised any money, let me know and we'll figure out how to get it in. I've got a deposit book, but that doesn't help with people on the coast!

DIEHARD
21-05-08, 01:08 PM
Hey Steve, what about the collection tin I got? How do we process that?

Steve
21-05-08, 01:11 PM
Hey Steve, what about the collection tin I got? How do we process that?

If you can get it to me, we can add it up and just deposit it in the bank.

DIEHARD
21-05-08, 01:24 PM
If you can get it to me, we can add it up and just deposit it in the bank.

No worries, I'll catch up with you in the next week.

shamus
21-05-08, 04:29 PM
Anyone want to borrow my tent?........it is supposed to sleep 12. Probably would if no one was more than 2 foot tall but it will comfortably sleep 6 adults maybe 8 if necessary. Only rule I have is I put it up and take it down. (With a little help)

Steve
21-05-08, 04:35 PM
Anyone want to borrow my tent?........it is supposed to sleep 12. Probably would if no one was more than 2 foot tall but it will comfortably sleep 6 adults maybe 8 if necessary. Only rule I have is I put it up and take it down. (With a little help)

Mate, that'd be awesome. Chances are people won't be sleeping that much anyhow, but it'd be good to have somewhere to crash. I know I only have a small 2 man tent (you know, the sort 1 person can just squeeze into), and that'd be much better than a bunch of small tents.

shamus
21-05-08, 06:20 PM
I will PM you my contact details

GCT_89
23-05-08, 09:56 AM
so whats the definate list of people attending now?

also what can everyone bring?

i'll bring all my LEGION gear......

flags
swords
helmets
drum? :p
2 x LEGION tickets V Storm

any more ideas.......my minds a bit blank atm

DIEHARD
23-05-08, 02:03 PM
I'll be bringing my gear and flags as well. It will look great for our camp site and we can do laps with them.

I'm also bringing a sleeping bag and pillow and an esky with supplies.

Captain Steve says there will be convenors there as well.

Steve
23-05-08, 02:37 PM
Definite?
God knows. :P

But so far:

Me
DIEHARD
Goatus
GCT_89
daveyk
titantatsman
Hully Gully
Little Miss Legion
C-Whiz
Dannyboi

I've got my mate Andrew (he was at the under 20s trial) and his mother, another friend and her husband, a friend from the coast and one of her neighbours, also a girl from the Titans facebook group.

If we get Dragons along and maybe some people bring people with them, we should have a good amount!

Yep, bring your flags and banners, things we can decorate the camp with.
Definitely rug up too, sleeping bags, blankets, whatever you need.
Bring some cards, footballs (maybe we can get some touch games going against some other teams!), camp chairs.

There's going to be people selling food and drink, but you might like to bring your own (especially something more healthy. Eating junk all day just makes you feel crap), and I'm going to try to bring a big bottle of water.

One of the people coming, Helen, is working on a kooky letterbox. Well, she's thinking about it, don't know what to do for it!

I'm trying to convince a girl I know to come. She does face painting for a living, and that could be fun, also give us an activity for people to stop and do.

I want one of those cardboard cut out pass the ball things, so if anyone knows where to source one, that'd be great.

C-Whiz
23-05-08, 03:21 PM
I made the post below in the "Worlds Greatest Shave" thread. Lets see if we can beat this tally with a huge combined effort from all the members on this forum. 2000 members donate $2 each, we've just raised $4000! Come on people, let's see if we can crack $1000 from the forum!

I've paid the rest of the money I've collected/been paid for the "Shave for a Cure", and I'm happy to say from all the members of this forum who have made a donation the tally has reached $581.50!!!

Well done to all who made a donation, and thanks very much for your help.

Now, for anyone who missed the opportunity, or didn't have the funds at the time, there is Steve's fundraising effort underway at the moment, in the "Relay For LIfe", so it's another great cause, where a small donation can make a big difference.

Every little bit counts!

Steve
24-05-08, 09:36 AM
That's an awesome total, C-Whiz!
It'll be interesting to see what our team manages to raise. But as you say, everything helps and i everyone enjoys themselves next weekend then I think we can do it again, with a bit more planning and time.

titanstattman
24-05-08, 09:44 AM
Also just wanna let u know i'll have the shade there aswell steve so just tell wat time u want me there and i'll be there..

And as u all know it will be cold over night but im going to tough it out in a pair of shorts and my titans singlet.....

Steve
24-05-08, 09:50 AM
Also just wanna let u know i'll have the shade there aswell steve so just tell wat time u want me there and i'll be there..

And as u all know it will be cold over night but im going to tough it out in a pair of shorts and my titans singlet.....

That's awesome! I'm trying to find out what time we can set up, but the phone number is constantly busy and no reply to email as yet. I'm sure I wrote it down at the team meeting I went to, but buggered if I know where that's gone.

And Doug, you're a mad bastard!

titanstattman
24-05-08, 09:59 AM
And Doug, you're a mad bastard!

Mate its more to do with ppl go thru hard times and so do the family so i thought well im going to do sumthing hard as well and i know very well that is not as hard as ppl and they family have to go thru....

Steve
24-05-08, 10:05 AM
Mate its more to do with ppl go thru hard times and so do the family so i thought well im going to do sumthing hard as well and i know very well that is not as hard as ppl and they family have to go thru....

That's very true. one night of discomfort can't even come close to it.

hully gully
24-05-08, 10:18 AM
i have knocked up a piece of crappy pipe to fill with charcoal to use as some form of heat cold just means miserable, no guarantee how well it will work

daveyk
24-05-08, 02:22 PM
am really looking forward to this event

only a week to go
i am also bringing 2 friends with me aswell (shannon & brooke) so you can add them to the list steve

Steve
26-05-08, 11:35 AM
Okay guys, I just heard back from the Cancer Council.

We can start setting up at 8am! So if we can get there for 8, claim a spot, set some stuff up, we don't have to be there all morning (although it'd be handy if someone stays with the camp site). Getting in at 8 means we can find a good spot and not be in any rush later on.

Also with any money you've collected, you can deposit it direct into the bank. I appear to have left the deposit book at home, but I'll post the details this afternoon. We need to deposit the money before the relay. And if you can let me know how much you deposited I can do up a tally.
Also, if you need to give receipts to anyone who donated let me know the details and I can write them out.

Also, if you've sold raffle tickets, that money must NOT be deposited with donations. It's to go in separately.

I've got the t-shirts and bags for the candlelight ceremony. It's probably easiest if I bring the t-shirts on the day, but if you want to get your bag early to write a message or decorate, let me know ASAP and I can post it out to you.

GCT_89
26-05-08, 01:00 PM
awesome steve, good work.....ill try to be available at 8am........

anyone have any ideas on how our camp site can give away 2 LEGION tickets to the storm game.....?

would be great for a suffer and their carer.........as like a prize or something........ive got no idea..........

......could also (maybe) make it 4 tickets to the game?

to me, its something that can get more people involved in footy, the titans and is better than just some cash as it will hopefully be an experience they'll never forget.........

late notice i know but please chuck me some ideas.......

Steve
26-05-08, 01:20 PM
That'll be sweet.
I'm going to try to be there from 8am too, Shamus is going to need some help with his tent!

I've been trying to think of an idea for the tickets. I really like the idea of them going to a sufferer or carer, god knows they'd not get much time to get out and do something fun, and treatments can be expensive so little things like that get skipped over.
Might be able to just donate them to the Cancer Council and they could distribute them too.

Might be able to link them into our camp activity (assuming we come up with something!)

Steve
26-05-08, 01:42 PM
They've sent out the latest newsletter today, hopefully you got it if your email address was on the form. I might upload it when I get home just in case.

But a bit of a summary.
Monday needs to be banked before thursday. Don't panic if it's not, I'm pretty sure we won't be winning the Highest Fundraising Team competition (maybe next year!), it just means it's out of the way and doesn't need to be worried about.

There's 87 teams registered, and they've already raised over $94,000! The target is $180,000. Might come close.

Things to bring:
Hat and sunscreen (slip slop slap!), pillows, sleeping bags, blankets, warm clothes, comfortable shoes, insect repellent, torch and fold up chair.

With Shamus' tent and Doug's gazebo, we should have plenty of shade and cover, and from experience most people don't sleep, but if you have a tent you want to bring along in addition, feel free to. Maybe some ground sheets/picnic blankets. I imagine it'll get damp either way.

If someone has a radio that runs on batteries it'll be great to bring that along. There's going to be an onsite relay broadcast on 107.9FM with entertainment and messages about what's happening. So a radio is essential!

Some things to remember:
No pets, no BBQ's or naked flames, no rollerblades, skateboards, bikes, etc. Strictly walking (apart from wheelchairs)
All vehicles must remain in the provided parking during the event, NOT around the track.
All activities MUST cease during the Candlelight Ceremony.
Campsites MUST be left spotless (so keep it tidy, less cleaning up in the morning)
Limited alcohol (no glass!)
and it's a smoke free zone.

Steve
26-05-08, 07:17 PM
Me again!
If you've collected any donations you can deposit it in the National bank, account 506332424, the account name is The Cancer Council Queensland Relay For Life.

Remember to let me know how much you've deposited, and keep the deposit receipt to give to me so I can hand it in with all our paperwork.

titanstattman
26-05-08, 07:29 PM
awesome steve, good work.....ill try to be available at 8am........

anyone have any ideas on how our camp site can give away 2 LEGION tickets to the storm game.....?

would be great for a suffer and their carer.........as like a prize or something........ive got no idea..........

......could also (maybe) make it 4 tickets to the game?

to me, its something that can get more people involved in footy, the titans and is better than just some cash as it will hopefully be an experience they'll never forget.........

late notice i know but please chuck me some ideas.......

Good idea and we can have it as a raffle and the money can go to the found

GCT_89
26-05-08, 09:15 PM
i had an idea.....with the 'funny money' that is given out.............we could charge 2 or so dollars for a raffle ticket for the prize that will be drawn at like 6 or 7 in the morning........???

only problem with that is that its not definate that a sufferer/survivor/carer will win...............

Steve
26-05-08, 10:07 PM
Each team gets $250 funny money as $2 notes. You can spend it on activities in other people's camps, and there's a prize for the team with the most funny money.

I've uploaded the final newsletter, it has a map of the area showing where to drop off, where to park and where we can and can't camp. It also explains the funny money!
Raffling them off could be a good activity for our team, though as you say, no way of knowing who it goes to.

The newsletter is here (http://members.iinet.net.au/~slippis/relay2008/RFL%20newsletter%204%20.pdf).

C-Whiz
27-05-08, 02:50 PM
i had an idea.....with the 'funny money' that is given out.............we could charge 2 or so dollars for a raffle ticket for the prize that will be drawn at like 6 or 7 in the morning........???

only problem with that is that its not definate that a sufferer/survivor/carer will win...............

Top idea! :thumbsup:

Remember, we are there to support them and the cause, not to pity them. It doesn't matter who wins the tickets.

Steve
27-05-08, 04:37 PM
It'll definitely be an easy activity for us to do.
I emailed someone at the Titans about the passing thing, so we'll see how that goes, and if my face painting friend comes we can do that too, no reason we have to have just one activity!

I'll try to remember to pick up a book of raffle tickets this week.

daveyk
27-05-08, 06:05 PM
i really like the idea of raffling off the tickets for funny money.....

titanstattman
28-05-08, 12:50 PM
just letting ppl know that i'll be ther about 8am and i'll be bringing the shade thingie iv got a few numbers so wen i get ther i'll give u guys a call....

Cant wait..

DIEHARD
28-05-08, 02:54 PM
Goatus is confirmed. I'll probably head down early with him.

daveyk
28-05-08, 06:02 PM
i have a couple of gigs on this weekend... so i will have some equipment sitting at home doing nothing... maybe i could bring that along and make a party out of it.... if we were to be anywhere near power.... lol

dont think we would be alowed but its a good idea.....

C-Whiz
29-05-08, 05:31 PM
Hey DIEHARD, I owe you a case of Coke from the last touch footy day! I'll bring it along in an esky for the relay. I'll throw an extra case in and hopefully it might give us a sugar rush each time we are feeling worn out.

I've got a tent which i will bring too. It's got 2 rooms and sleeps about 8. It only takes 10 minutes for 2 people to put up. Hope this current bit of rain doesn't stay around too long!

Steve
29-05-08, 05:52 PM
I picked up 4 books of raffle tickets, I reckon that'll do us.
A friend has made our kooky letterbox. It's not terribly kooky, but it'll do for this year!

The extra tent will be awesome, C-Whiz! Between that, Shamus and Doug, we'll be laughing.

I'm keeping an eye on the weather website, hoping we'll see a change for saturday night. A few isolated showers will be okay, but this constant stuff is a *****. Still, all part of the fun. ;)

C-Whiz
30-05-08, 05:58 AM
Just an idea, you might want to bring your own little tub of vaseline, just in case you get some chaffing after walking for a few hours. Would make it quite uncomfortable!

Also, I've got my son's soccer game on Sat morning, so could someone please save me a space for my tent? It's about 2m wide and 4 long. Cheers.

titanstattman
30-05-08, 08:02 AM
Well if it is raining wat i have is ideal oif its raining u wo nt get wet under it i use it for all the show i do

GCT_89
30-05-08, 11:55 AM
Well if it is raining wat i have is ideal oif its raining u wo nt get wet under it i use it for all the show i do

sometimes ive got no idea whatsoever what your talking about.........something about 'rain'?..........lol

and in regards to that.....ive received an email form the Relay Staff.......

Dear Relayers,

This is the first time in 7 years that the weather has been unkind to the Gold Coast Relay For Life!!!

We would like to acknowledge that one cancer patient in Queensland is diagnosed every 26 minutes regardless of the weather, and the treatment cancer patients go through is at least 10 times worse than walking through the rain.

At the moment we are going to continue as planned and will be seeking further advice from the Weather Bureau and powers that be.

We will advise by 3pm today whether the 2008 Gold Coast Relay For Life will continue or be postponed. Could you please pass this onto any team members that may not have given their email address to us.

We thank you for your support and understanding

Kind Regards

The Gold Coast Relay Team

albeit, some of the stats are a bit off....... in no way will walking in the rain ever compare to the treatments cancer patients go through.......

ill be there rain, hail, or shine.........hope it doesnt get cancelled.......

GCT_89
30-05-08, 01:53 PM
Latest News:

just received another email regarding the event.......

Thank you so much for your emails of support, it is great to see that a little rain hasn't dampened your spirits!!!

We are continuing...as Carrara Indoor Stadium has opened their doors and are allowing us to continue (only we will be dry and warm!) inside exactly as we would at Evandale Lake...

Please let your team mates know that the 2008 Gold Coast Relay For Life will be BIGGER and BETTER regardless of the miserable weather...we will still CELEBRATE the survivors with the Survivor's Lap and afternoon tea, TRIBUTE those we have lost with the candlelight ceremony and join together for a fun filled evening with funny money activities and entertainment...

Look forward to seeing you there

tbh, im a little disappointed.....i was looking forward to the night life and 'camping out' kind of atmosphere that the outdoor venue would have......

will there be more restrictions now?
alcohol?
gazebos, etc (obviously wont be needing tents now)

C-Whiz
30-05-08, 02:56 PM
TBH I'm a little disappointed we can't walk in the rain. it would have been quite fitting IMO. I wonder if we can kick a footy around inside the stadium thingy? Maybe we can see if we can kick it up to touch the roof!

They'll probably be pretty pi$$ed when they see where I've hammered the pegs for my tent into the timber basketball court floor! :D

Steve
30-05-08, 03:02 PM
I have to admit to being a little disappointed too. Sure, the rain wouldn't be nice, but it's not that bad.

I just spoke to the girls at the Cancer Council. Apparently the stadium holds 2,000 (that's fine, but is that seated? standing?)
Anyhow, they reckon they went out to check it out and it'll all be fine.
But yes, no tents allowed (no room, and I imagine they won't like us nailing them into the floor)

Can still bring chairs, mattresses, etc, so I guess still bring along banners and flags and whatever else. But unfortunately no alcohol is allowed because it's a licensed venue.

I don't know, I get the feeling packing a few thousand people onto a basket ball court is going to be a lot more miserable than a bit of rain.

On the upside! I got a call back from the Titans and they're going to allow us to use one of the pass the ball things for our activity. Between that and the raffle we'll be set.

C-Whiz
30-05-08, 03:09 PM
Can still bring chairs, mattresses, etc, so I guess still bring along banners and flags and whatever else. But unfortunately no alcohol is allowed because it's a licensed venue.
Does that mean it's going to be plastic cups of mid at $5.50?

I don't know, I get the feeling packing a few thousand people onto a basket ball court is going to be a lot more miserable than a bit of rain.
Not to mention the boredom of walking around a basketball court for 18 hours!

On the upside! I got a call back from the Titans and they're going to allow us to use one of the pass the ball things for our activity. Between that and the raffle we'll be set.
Sweet! Also, maybe we could play forcey-back inside the stadium, and you've got to put up a bomb or field goal that drops into the basketball net for an extra point! :thumbsup:

Steve
30-05-08, 03:16 PM
I think it's just going to be no alcohol at all. :(

I'm wondering if there will be any walking going on to be quite honest. They reckon it holds 2,000. That's great, but unless we're all sitting on the tiered seating, there's going to be no room for the walking.

It was great of them to help out, I just hope we have room for it now. Shouldn't take too much, but 1,300 people on a basketball court...

Does that mean it's going to be plastic cups of mid at $5.50?

Not to mention the boredom of walking around a basketball court for 18 hours!

Sweet! Also, maybe we could play forcey-back inside the stadium, and you've got to put up a bomb or field goal that drops into the basketball net for an extra point! :thumbsup:

Steve
30-05-08, 03:55 PM
Okay, being skeptical that we'd fit everyone in, I've looked up some info on the place.

four courts which can be adjusted to suit different requirements. The two centre courts can be combined into one national competition court

large, dividable floor space (2200m squared) ideal for exhibitions, trade shows, functions and receptions

permanent grandstand seating for 1392

two large entry foyer areas each including canteen facilities, suitable for event support and receptions activities

It's bigger than I was thinking, but even so, I don't think 2200m squared is all that big. Obviously the 2,000 capacity they were talking about is 2,000 standing, packed in tightly.

GCT_89
30-05-08, 04:29 PM
so is there any more info........like, do we still go there at 8am in the morning?

is there any stands like dougs aloud in?

or is it just stand there kinda thing?

Steve
30-05-08, 04:34 PM
so is there any more info........like, do we still go there at 8am in the morning?

is there any stands like dougs aloud in?

or is it just stand there kinda thing?

I'm still aiming at getting there in the morning (hoping for around 9am) for the general registration stuff and whatever else, and so we can grab a spot. Space will be at a premium, so have to get in early!

No, nothing like that is allowed, there's no room.

All activities are to happen as usual, but I'd suggest a few packs of cards, hell, I dunno, maybe some board games. Not sure if there'll actually be a relay now. They said they're still doing the survivors walk, but I'm not sure there'll be any room for people to walk.

DIEHARD
30-05-08, 05:53 PM
This all reminds me of a certain episode of South Park.

Steve
30-05-08, 06:05 PM
Reminds me of New Orleans. :(

C-Whiz
30-05-08, 06:33 PM
I think I know the place. It's the same place they hold the Harvey Norman Sight and Sound Expo thingy. Just big enough to allow a few hundred people to walk around a dozen stands full of overpriced electrical displays, marked down to just below recommended retail.

Anyway, we'll just have to see how it goes. Hopefully it will still be something worthwhile, and not just a heap of people crammed into a basketball court for a night just to make up numbers.

titanstattman
30-05-08, 07:05 PM
Well i will be having a drink i can say that much i'll be there about 8 so if any1 with my number let me know if ur the same

Steve
30-05-08, 07:16 PM
Well i will be having a drink i can say that much i'll be there about 8 so if any1 with my number let me know if ur the same

Diehard, Goatus and I will hopefully be getting in about 9. The guy from the Titans will be getting there around then too with the pass the ball cut out (hopefully we have room for it!)

Might have to be a bit discreet with the drinks, being a licensed venue you're not allowed to take any in, but I'm doubting they'll open the bars, that'd mean employing crowd control. Pricey, and difficult last minute.

DIEHARD
30-05-08, 07:28 PM
I'm really not feeling the spin they are putting on this change of venue. Saying everything will go ahead as usual, it won't and can't. :dizzy:

Especially in light of Steve's number crunching with the venue dimensions by expected numbers.

I wonder how we can even fit in 87 teams with how many per team? Let alone try and do laps of anything, let alone let everyone have an area to have some form of camp.

But I'll still be there with bells on. I'm no party pooper and want to make the best of any situation. We really need to support the event!

We'll still have a ball and raise a lot of money for the cause. :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.

Steve
30-05-08, 10:54 PM
I guess we won't know until we're there. I'm feeling a bit better about it all now. It's still going to be a special night whether we're under the stars, trudging through rain or camped out on a basketball court.

A big thanks to Goatus for the lift down in the morning too, especially so early! I know I'd rather stay in bed all morning.

A lot of people go home to sleep in nice comfy beds instead of camping out too, so it should thin down later into the night.

DIEHARD
30-05-08, 11:46 PM
Yea good old Goatus really getting up early and doing the hard yakka.

See you here at about 9am or a bit before.

DIEHARD
31-05-08, 01:44 AM
OK it's nearly 3am, time to get to bed! I was uplate getting my stuff ready and finishing a mountain of paper work for Monday, because I won't have any free time for the rest of the weekend.

See you tomorrow!...er today.

GCT_89
31-05-08, 07:19 AM
oh ****!......................i slept in........................

getting ready now.......see you all later................

GCT_07
31-05-08, 08:56 AM
Unbelievable... just went in to buy the Legion tickets for the raffle that GCT_89 is sorting.... LAST 2 TICKETS.......

THE LEGION.... SECTION 30.... IS NOW FULL (ALLOCATION EXHAUSTED)

WOW... bring on the 'storm'

:fight:

titanstattman
01-06-08, 08:32 AM
Wll just got home from the relay and wat a night it was soo good and i had a ball.

Our team won the prize of the most funny money collect thru the night with a total of $3154.

The past the ball thru the hole work so well with the kids and even the older kids had a go nd gct-89 really work the raffle for the footy tickets and c-whiz new how to get the money out of the kids with the past the ball u must of been a carny b4?

It was a great night over all...

I cant wait for those pics steve i know there will be afew funny ones on there...:thumbsup:

daveyk
01-06-08, 09:15 AM
i also agree... it was an awesome night...

a little different to past years @ evandale.. but a top night overall.
we really smashed the comp with the raffle for the footy tickets, a great effort of over $3000

Steve
01-06-08, 05:17 PM
I certainly hope next time we have fine weather, camping out and walking around the lake will be a much better experience, and maybe a real candlelight ceremony rather than a glowstick ceremony, but on the whole I think a good time was had by all.

It was great to have people commenting about seeing us at the games too. I think in 2009 we'll have a lot more Legion members.

Extra big thanks to Doug for getting in early, GCT_89 for staying back with us while we waited for the Titans to pick up the pass the ball A-frame, and then, well, I'm not sure what happened with it! (I finally got a call back at 12:30). Also Goatus, getting out of bed extra early to get us down there, hanging around for the pick up well past when we all wanted to be in bed.

It'll be good to have some feedback from everyone too, both about our team and anything to pass on to the organisers too.

I think the biggest thanks from me goes to DIEHARD, joining me in the chicken dance. ;)

GCT_89
01-06-08, 07:02 PM
i had an amazing night and cannot wait till next years event.............

i can quite proudly say i was the only one not to fall asleep/lay down for more than 5 minutes..........lol

sooooo tired now though.......lol

was great talking to all different people from different walks of life and of many ages from lil 7-8 year old kids to 50, 60, 70 year olds walking faster than me at 3 in the morning...........lol

definatley an event to add to the LEGION Calendar.........cant wait till the next one......we can be more prepared, and hopefully have good weather.............

Steve
01-06-08, 10:14 PM
Well!
I think our team total for the event is around $770. A great effort for our first relay. Hully Gully was by far our biggest fundraiser! He beat the rest of us combined. :D

I've got some photos online here (http://www.slphotography.com.au/relay2008/), but i'll post a couple below too.

Steve
01-06-08, 11:04 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-10.jpg

Our banner during the opening ceremony.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-6.jpg

Our little set up against the wall.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-14.jpg

Doug showing his skills.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-15.jpg

A Titans junior. :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-38.jpg

Adam had a bit of a run in with the law.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-41.jpg

Daveyk pleads his innocence. No one bought it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-46.jpg

His bail had some special conditions.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-40.jpg

Goatus was lucky not to end up in handcuffs! I don't know what he did, but he's certainly looking guilty of something.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-63.jpg

It's all about the funny money.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-55.jpg

DIEHARD is the kingpin of the operation.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-65.jpg

Don't ask.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-68.jpg

No really, don't ask.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-74.jpg

Soft! Look at them all lazing around!

DIEHARD
02-06-08, 05:19 AM
It was a fantastic weekend.

Shame about the venue change but it ended up not being the biggest issue in the world. I was mainly worried about space, but there was plenty of space for everyone.

Well done to everyone who was involved! Everyone did a tremendous job.

Everyone put in a big effort with walking, especially considering we had alot of people who didn't sleep the night before the event. Good work to GCT 89 for staying awake!

It was funny looking over at our camp site at about 3 or so and just seeing everyone passed out. Myself included for a while, but you can't really sleep on the painful court and I went back out at about 3am help with the others to bring us into breakfast.

Doug was in a much deserved deep sleep after getting there early and not getting any/much sleep on Friday either. Same with Davyk I think!

The pass the ball competition was a raging success and it was rewarding to see so many people youngsters to adults having a go at passing the rugby ball. We had alot of girls having a go as well, which is great. There was a lot of happy campers with Titans posters there that night!

The success of it really made us all wonder what awesome activities we could put on for next year. :D Because we will no doubt be back better and a lot bigger.

We could put on some more rugby league related activities and prizes. It really kept the youngsters occupied during the event. I don't think there was many times I looked over and saw no one passing the ball, usually there was a line.

Due to the popularity of our event and our ticket raffle we managed to get a large amount of funny money. So much so that I joked that we could plunge the entire Relay for Life economy into a recession or even depression. ;)

Each team was issued 250 to start and we ended with over $3154 which I spent a lot of time progressively counting.

Much credit must go to Chris' (C-Whiz) inate and extraordinary carney skills. We were all debating whether we could convince C Whiz into investing in a sideshow at the Ekka with us. A born salesman.

Also Adam's (GCT 89) awesome sales skills selling raffle tickets for the match tickets to all the campsites. He came back with hundreds of dollars of funny money.

We must have done something right because we got alot of great feedback from other relayers, especially from some of the groups around us who also ended up giving us their funny money supplies.

When they were working out who had the most at the end, it was like an auction and everyone put their hand up and down when the number exceeded their supply. We were the only team with out hands still up at 1,600 and we said keep going keep going until we got to 3154. :D

Well done especially considering we didn't put too much planning into it, it just all fell into place and everyone chipped in big time maning the pass the ball activity. We were a great team.

Much thanks to Goatus for getting up early and getting Steve and then me and getting down there early. And also to Doug (Tatsman) for getting there at 8am and collecting the Titans pass the ball target.

Well done to Hully Gully and Lil Miss Legion for their amazing fundraising efforts and for staying up so much and walking in the graveyard shift when its really starting to become difficult. I loved Hully Gully wearing the Hull FC jersey at point during the evening, I really got a kick out of it as I'm an avid Super League fan and jersey spotter.

Adam getting cuffed was hilarious especially considering we wouldn't pay a donation for bail....not for some time....while we let him stew.

And then they got DaveyK and we...couldn't help holding out as well. I said "We don't negoiate with terrorists!"

He came back with a complete make over.

And thanks to the club for supplying us with the pass the ball and the posters. it was a big big success and we would have converted many new fans.

Now we have an entire year to plan for 2009. And one thing is for sure, this will be on our calendar for the future.

Well done to Steve for suggesting the idea last year and getting it all together, Well done you were a fantastic captain and it must be really satisfying having the successful event behind us.

The entire event was of course tinged with sadness. And it really changes your mindset and educates you. It was so sad thinking of all these people and their stories. And moving to see the survivors but tragic to think of the loved ones so many at the event had lost.

I know we have lost a lot of close loved ones. And even through our extended family and friends we have all been touched in some way.

I was sad MoeJoe wasn't there to see this. Because he would have loved it and been so enthusiastic about it. But knowing him, it is comforting like with all people we have lost over the years to know what sort of things they would have liked or enjoyed or created or supported. And you certainly feel like they aren't gone by taking part, enjoying, creating and supporting these types of things, what ever they are.

I also kept in mind my grandma who was lost to cancer, one of my friend's brother who bravely fought off and beat cancer only to have a damned reoccurence and to one of my teachers who is currently battling.

But my lasting memory was of humanity getting together and trying to do something good against something seemingly insurmountably evil.

TITAN PETE
02-06-08, 10:51 AM
Congrats to all you guys for putting the time & effort into a Brilliant Cause & i hope your efforts make a difference to the worst illness on the planet as i'm sure everyone on this forums has been touched by Cancer in the past in one way or another:( :)

The one thing i can't beleive is that Diehard slept :ugh: , i didn't think you slept at all ;)

To all involved :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

C-Whiz
02-06-08, 07:02 PM
Well!
I think our team total for the event is around $770. A great effort for our first relay. Hully Gully was by far our biggest fundraiser! He beat the rest of us combined. :D

As far as fundraising goes, as I said I pretty much exhausted all my avenues after doing Luekeamia and then Red Cross door knock. However, I still will be putting in $100, so add that to our tally. Forgot all about it the other night! :?)

As far as the event goes, it was a great thing to be a part of. TBH walking around a basketball court for an hour or so at a time at 2 am can be quite dull, but GCT was easily our biggest walker, chalking up a 2 hour stint and still refusing to stop! Well done mate! :thumbsup:

But thanks to Steve for getting it organised for us and helping make it such a memorable event. It was a big effort from him with the amount of walking he did, and the lead up work prior to the event. :salute:

Well done to everyone involved, in our team and others who made it memorable. Lot's of laughs along the way! :D

I'll admit I did quite enjoy the pass the ball activity and hustling everyone out of their funny money! :p The posters were a big hit, and even the "Scott Prince 4 Origin" were cleaned out before midnight! It was a great thing to be part of and I certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to be part of something worthwhile. I will be there again next year!

Thanks everyone for the laughs and memories! :salute:

titanstattman
02-06-08, 08:26 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-14.jpg

And i might add that i got shot thru the hole aswell. :fist: :fist: ............

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/relay2008/relay08-15.jpg

A Titans junior. :D

And that is my little boy byron. :p :p :p ............

So over all the night was really good i cant wait for next year.

DIEHARD
03-06-08, 09:27 AM
Was talking to Steve while doing some laps and we were thinking of wearing pedometers next year just for fun and to have a roster, at least a day and night roster. So the people who need to work the next day can walk in the day etc.

Fantastic pics Steve!

Steve
03-06-08, 10:08 AM
Thanks! I just wish we'd gotten a group shot.
Pedometers could introduce an element of competition to it too, see who walks the most. I vote I come last in that. :D

Byron looks so tiny compared to the football, especially considering it's not full size either!

Steve
03-06-08, 04:23 PM
Just got an email through from the Julie at the Cancer Council. New figures released, $164,000 raised by the Gold Coast relay.
And I still have to bank the majority of our money yet!

C-Whiz
03-06-08, 04:41 PM
Was talking to Steve while doing some laps and we were thinking of wearing pedometers next year just for fun and to have a roster, at least a day and night roster. So the people who need to work the next day can walk in the day etc.

Fantastic pics Steve!

While I was walking with Helen in the early AM hours we were wondering about how far we were walking. We timed a lap, and it was 2minutes 6 secs, so considering I had to field a dropped ball mid-way, we settled on 2 minutes for an average lap. So, let's say about 30 laps an hour. If our average walking pace is around 5km/h (which is about average for most people on a normal walk), then considering we walked for the best part of 16 hours, then we covered somewhere around 80km as a team! :thumbsup:

Now, as far as a roster goes..... well don't get me started! ;)

And yes, Steve has captured the event with his usual high quality pics. The DIEHARD Kingpin shot is a stand-out!

Steve
03-06-08, 05:16 PM
That's a lot of walking!

Haha, we'll do a roster next year, although the main issue of our camp not being near the track will be less of one if the weather is kind.

I always considered our first relay to be a learning exercise, so now we'll know what can be done better, not done at all, or built upon.

Maybe next year we can do a sideshow theme, bring out the carnie in all of us. ;)

BringBackWillie
07-06-08, 10:13 AM
Congratulations guys! The photos showed you guys had a great time and more!

It's great to see a dedicated group of titans fans doing something for such an important cause, raising awareness through the fundraising, and having fun in the process!

Well done for organising Steve!

Steve
05-09-08, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, remember we won those tickets to Dreamworld, but there was a mix up with the envelopes?

Well, I have the tickets. 2 adults, 2 children.

So who from the team would like them?
I'd suggest keeping them as a raffle prize for next year's event, but they expire 24/12/08, so someone may as well use them!

Oh! And the latest figure on the fundraising is $213,000!

DIEHARD
05-09-08, 03:46 PM
I'd suggest a person with a family who participated in the event.

hicksey
05-09-08, 03:47 PM
i say doug coz hes always paying for the food at the bbqs

Steve
05-09-08, 04:20 PM
I'd suggest a person with a family who participated in the event.

Doug, HullyGully or C-Whiz I think were the family men!

titanstattman
05-09-08, 04:22 PM
Doug, HullyGully or C-Whiz I think were the family men!

Yeah thats it im happy to take them.......

GCT_89
05-09-08, 05:48 PM
Yeah thats it im happy to take them.......

first in wins......lol