PDA

View Full Version : Should Sonny be allowed to play Origin?

Robbie_Dee
21-03-08, 10:14 AM
Simple question, YES or NO. No sitting on the fence for this one.

Robbie_Dee
21-03-08, 10:17 AM
Raised on the Footy show last night....Interesting topic to say the least.

State of Origin is about QLD v NSW. I don't give a flying f*** if it will improve the international competition or not if Kiwi's/Islanders are allowed to play Origin! Fatty summed it up beautifully on the footy show with what he said last night. Kiwi's wouldn't understand the passion behind wearing the mighty maroon or blue jumper. Gallen even said, he wouldn't wanna line up standing next to a born and bred kiwi. It's just not right for origin. Make a different comp with kiwi's if you want, I don't care, but Origin is QLD v NSW. end of story.

one last thing...

QUEENSLANDER!!!

Meh
21-03-08, 10:31 AM
Definitely not.

That would just throw even more ambiguity into the selection process and where someone is from wouldn't even come into STATE of ORIGIN anymore.

Timmy Titans
21-03-08, 10:38 AM
Definitly not he is a kiwi not an aussie

He is probably just saying it because he doesn't like playing with bad teams like the bulldogs

Dummy Half
21-03-08, 11:22 AM
NO WAY

NEVER
:mad:
why don't the kiwis have there own North island vs South island series!

get your own friggin series
don't try to hoard in on ours!!!
-

GCT_89
21-03-08, 11:35 AM
no way at all......but im sure QLD will find a way around it, like "oh his mums friends uncle was born in QLD.....he is now a QLDER" pffft

bloody QLDERS!!!!!

State of Origin!..........not whats your favorite colour!

Go The BLUES!!!!

Ryan
21-03-08, 11:49 AM
Definite no for me :nope:

I fell asleep durring the footy show last night, did they say what state he wanted to play for?

Dummy Half
21-03-08, 11:59 AM
Definite no for me :nope:

I fell asleep durring the footy show last night, did they say what state he wanted to play for?

yeah NSW
he played U/17 & U/19 for NSW so Gus Gould was keen on him playing for the Blues

Sounds to me like a certain state will do anything to get a certain Origin shield
back from a certain other state.... even if it means destroying the fabric of Origin football.
:( disgraceful
-

Helen
21-03-08, 12:38 PM
I voted yes.

I was under the impression that players are selected to play for the state in which they played their first senior football. Not state of birth.

Did this change??? If the rules of selection have not changed then I feel Sonny Bill should be allowed to play.

If the rules have changed to state of birth then I reserve the right to change my answer to no.

Helen

Edited to add. SOS is not country v country. The fact that Sonny Bill plays international footy for NZ imo should be a non issue.

qld power
21-03-08, 01:59 PM
nah definatley and this is coming from a kiwi they should have liek back in the good ole days of superleague a kiwi team in the origin series

and i cant see why the suddenly stopped having foriegn player play origin since adrian lam png player manage to play for qld

Capital_Shark
21-03-08, 02:02 PM
Love watching Sonny play and he'd be in his element in Origin, but I've gotta say no.

For once I wholeheartedly agree with Fatty Vautin. What makes Origin more than just a game of footy is the passion and pride for the jumper. Sonny wouldn't disappoint, he'd play good football, but there would be a difference. It'd be like if Johns or Lockyer played for NZ; they'd play well, but not with the passion of Wiki or Asotasi.

Robbie_Dee
21-03-08, 02:07 PM
I voted yes.

I was under the impression that players are selected to play for the state in which they played their first senior football. Not state of birth.

Did this change??? If the rules of selection have not changed then I feel Sonny Bill should be allowed to play.

If the rules have changed to state of birth then I reserve the right to change my answer to no.

Helen

Edited to add. SOS is not country v country. The fact that Sonny Bill plays international footy for NZ imo should be a non issue.I can understand what you're saying BUT as soon as SBW pledged his elegance to NZ, he knew he would never be able to play origin again!!! Now he's turning around whinging about not being able to play for NSW! :fist:

It would ruin the fabric of Origin if half of the blokes out there were Kiwi's! Aussie v Aussie, QLD v NSW! :fight:

GCT_89
21-03-08, 02:23 PM
he played U/17 & U/19 for NSW

i had no idea about that..................

if that is the case he 'by the rules' deserves to play in origin.....

on the other hand, he is a kiwi........he reps for NZ not AUS........

but the rules do state that 'ORIGIN' relates to what state they play their senior footy.......

naawww.....im undecided now.........
(lets just say thank god for new smilies)
:concience:

Helen
21-03-08, 02:35 PM
but the rules do state that 'ORIGIN' relates to what state they play their senior footy.......

I thought this may be the case. This is a state v state contest.

This is NOT and never has been an international contest.

Under current criteria SBW is eligible (legally) to play.

If the criteria is changed to state of birth then Willie Mason, Hasim El Masri, Karmichael Hunt and others suddenly become ineligible to play.

My understanding is that there never was a rule in place to say you had to play for Australia internationally to play SOS.

As we have heard constantly over the last week regards the Craig Wing incident.. Them rules is the rules.

Helen

Chaos
21-03-08, 02:40 PM
Lets just make NZ a state and have three teams in the State of Origin.

Paul
21-03-08, 02:55 PM
Why not? Adrian lam was allowed to play for QLD despite being born in & played for PNG

can't see the difference tbh

Helen
21-03-08, 03:15 PM

That is a silly thing to say. NZ is country.

The contest always was intended to be between NSW and Qld based on the state that a player played their first senior game in.

Fatty said on the footy show, how it was Qld versus NSW and that you knew you would have QLDr's around you.... Greg Inglis was born in NSW and plays for QLD in SOS.

Greg lived in NSW until he was 15, moved to QLD to finish his education and at 17 played his first senior game for the devils.

Clearly the criteria is the state you play your first senior game in.

Helen

Helen
21-03-08, 03:25 PM

The contest always was intended to be between NSW and Qld based on the state that a player played their first senior game in.

Fatty said on the footy show, how it was Qld versus NSW and that you knew you would have QLDr's around you.... Greg Inglis was born in NSW and plays for QLD in SOS.

Greg lived in NSW until he was 15, moved to QLD to finish his education and at 17 played his first senior game for the devils.

Clearly the criteria is the state you play your first senior game in.

Helen

eelectrica
21-03-08, 03:45 PM
Their's too many gray areas as it is without adding more.
SBW considers himself a kiwi and is therefore ineligible.

Parramattas Nathan Cayless was actually born in NSW yet still considers himself a kiwi and understands that rules out origin eligibilty.

RLfan
21-03-08, 04:26 PM
I agree too many grey areas.

Also Inglis didn't have to play for QLD, he was eligible for both and he chose QLD over NSW becuase he supported the Maroons as a kid.

I would like to see the Blues & Maroons take on NZ in a tri-series like Aus Super League, but it probably wouldn't have the same feeling in it.

Once Sonny Bill chose NZ, he should stick with it, we have seen too many chopping and changing already:

Tonie Carroll should have stuck with QLD/AUS (played for QLD in 97, 98, 99 & 00 before representing Kiwis)

Luke Covell playing for Country then NZ

Vagana Bros, Motu Tony, David Solomoana played for NZ and now want to play for Samoa.

Craig Smith playing for QLD then NZ

Luke Ricketson playing for Ireland then Aus (although he played for Blues first)

i am sure there are others but can't remember now.

dee13
21-03-08, 05:20 PM
NO.

Origin should be about where you were born. If you are born in Tweed, Liverpool, Balmain, Royal North Shore, Lismore or Parkes Hospital then you should play for NSW. If you are born in Gold Coast, Brisbane, Townsville or Nambour Hospital then you play for QLD. If you are born in Wellington, Auckland, Suva, London, Melbourne or L.A. General Hospital then you can't play state of origin

DIEHARD
21-03-08, 06:13 PM
No way! It would destroy state of origin and also international football.

This is the biggest load of rubbish.

If you play for QLD or NSW you have to play for Australia.

As for Adrian Lam he was originally selected during Super League when nearly all Queenslanders signed with Super League. Adrian was born in PNG but moved to QLD at a young age.

I don't completely agree with it, if you represent QLD or NSW you must play and have played for the Kangaroos in the future and prior.

I especially dislike what Brad Thorn did. Coming to Austrlaia playing for Queensland and then the Kangaroos and then going back and playing for the All Blacks. What a disgrace.

Paul
21-03-08, 06:16 PM
I notice nobody has replied to the 2 posts about Adrian Lam.

Have your opinions changed now because it's a player wanting to play with the NSW team? Nobody in QLD said a word when Lam was selected.

RLfan
22-03-08, 08:39 AM
Adrian Lam was selected because there weren't enough QLD players in the ARL during the Super League split. I disagree with it but there were only 16 eligible Qld players in 95, that is why Craig Smith played in 97.

It is wrong but they needed a full team.

Chaos
22-03-08, 09:07 AM

Helen

It's not that silly Helen...I've always wanted to see the international league be the games pinnacle but it's just not happening and State of Origin continue to thrive.

If State of Origin continues to host the best matches of the year, let's involve the big hitting Kiwis...they're itching to get into the action.
Don't tell me they wouldn't be proud to play either.

The thing is...the title "State of Origin" is flexible to include a country

State-A state is a political association with effective sovereignty over a geographic area. These may be nation states or sub-national states.

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 11:28 AM
I think everyone is tending to focus on technicalities and "legal" rulings. The fact and the truth of the matter is State Of Origin has been built over the years based on State PASSION and PRIDE!

There have been a few "grey-area" decisions on legitimacy, but on the whole it has been built on the passion you have for your state. It's not just about the players, it's about the fans. The fans have lifted the SOO series to become Rugby Leagues defining moment of State pride! The fans dictated to the players that this was just as important to us, as the internationals. And the SOO players have responded to this. This is what has made it so great!

So, SBW wants to play SOO because it is the benchmark for Rugby League, and he would like to play at this top level. Fair enough. No one doubts he is good enough. But he doesn't have the passion you get from growing up in, or having the allegiance of belonging to Qld or NSW. You don't just pull on a jumper and get that. It's bred into you. Don't dilute what has made the series great over the past 27 years just because someone feels they are missing out.

Titanium_BD1103
22-03-08, 11:28 AM
NO... on the simple basis that SOO is not just a great spectacle... it's also something for every boy in the bush or city of QLD and NSW to dream about as a kid of playing in... and if Islanders take spots, then the dream is shattered.

QLD'ers ask why we play City vs Country in NSW.. it's for that same reason, sure it doesn't rate so highly and it ain't that great a match at times, but it's the fact that it gives the country kids something to believe in, to aim for, that's why it's there.

Rugby League is all about childhood dreams and boys dreams becoming men's oddessys.

If the NZ players want to play origin, make their own teams from South and North Islands and have their own series so kids in NZ can aspire to that... but don't ruin the dream.... never ruin the dream... :(

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 11:35 AM
The thing is...the title "State of Origin" is flexible to include a country

State-A state is a political association with effective sovereignty over a geographic area. These may be nation states or sub-national states.

I'm hearing you, but a tri-series wouldn't work. It would be too long, and honestly, do Qld or NSW really care about getting all fired up to take on a Kiwi team? Also, after nearly 30 years, let's not forget only a handful of points and one game seperates Qld and NSW.

Let the NZRL start a North/South affair. They can build it and own it, and it can be their baby. It might lift the Kiwis into a zone that they have been lacking. Who knows. I know all those years ago, a one-off SOO game wasn't suspected of becoming the Rugby League Goliath it has become today!

Capital_Shark
22-03-08, 12:06 PM
I gotta agree with NZRL starting their own SOO equivalent. If it becomes half of what our SOO it might also inspire young Kiwis to pledge allegiance to the Black and White jumper so they can play NZSOO.

And yeah, I don't think the Blues or the Maroons would give a toss about taking on some Kiwi team, and probably wouldn't select their best for that particular match. God forbid Gasnier or Lockyer get ruled out of a NSW v QLD thanks to some boofhead who orders fush und chups for lunch.

Make that the eligibility test for anything concerning Kiwis and Aussies. Send him into the local take away and if he orders "fish and chips" he's green and gold. "Fush und chups" and its a black and white top and haka lessons.

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 12:10 PM
Make that the eligibility test for anything concerning Kiwis and Aussies. Send him into the local take away and if he orders "fish and chips" he's green and gold. "Fush und chups" and its a black and white top and haka lessons.

Classic. You should start an "eligibility" thread. Actually, I'll do it for you. :)

Warrior00
22-03-08, 01:14 PM
This is a very interesting topic. I can see it from both sides.

For me there is a huge difference between a NZ born player who has come through the junior representative ranks in Australia (like Sonny Bell) who wants to play State Of Origin at senior level and that of NZer who comes to Aussie has a couple of good seasons in the NRL and then wants to play in State Of Origin. The former, I believe yes they should be up for consideration, the later, no they shouldn't.

I think the biggest difference in this arguement is that for you Aussies this is about State Of Origin and for Kiwis this is about international football. Us Kiwis will always play second (sometimes third) fiddle to Australia in the international arena. Its only every now and then that the Kiwis pull of some great surprise and upset. One of Sonny Bell's points was that NZ lacks any top level representative games prior to any end of season test series. Australian players have up to four, if you include City v Country. State Of Origin has become the top level of representative league in the world and its only natural for any player to strive to play at the higgest level possible, the trouble is that some players who are eligable to play for NZ (like Karmichael Hunt) are forced to turn down the opportunity to play for their country of birth in order to have the opportunity to play State of Origin, I see this as really unfair. NRL clubs have a long history and association with NZ clubs in finding young talent, it makes sense to get these players young and into the Aussie system as soon as possible to develope any talent. However why should NZ be disadvantaged at international level by allowing young players to develope under Australian coachs, clubs, etc? Afterall Willie Mason, Toni Carroll & Karmichael Hunt are all NZ born players who could of played for NZ (well Carroll did - but since then he is back playing for Aussie).

I guess the answer lies in at what age is considered as their first senior game in a state. Regardless of whether a player is a NZer or Aussie then if they play that game at that age then they should be eligable for selection for that State. If its some dude who was developed in New Zealand and stepped of the plane and made his debut in the NRL as a twenty somethiing then definately the NZ player should not be eligable for selection.

Helen
22-03-08, 02:59 PM
This is from the ARL (Australian Rugby League) site.
http://www.australianrugbyleague.com.au/

Realising the implications of these increasingly one-sided contests, Queensland supremo Senator Ron Macauliffe devised the audacious plan of having players represent the state with which they had first played senior football.

Since 1982, the interstate series has been based purely on the lines set down by Senator McAuliffe and Kevin Humphreys and is one of the greatest sporting events on the sporting calendar for all Australians each year.

Sonny Bill should be allowed to play. End of story.

Helen

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 03:26 PM
Sonny Bill should be allowed to play. End of story.

Helen

I always love how people find some small reference to a topic and decide based on one quote taken 25 years ago that that is how it should be interpreted forever.

I would be prepared to say that in this day and age that statement would be up for consideration and maybe this is a good time to debate a new format for eligibility criteria for SOO selection.

I doubt Ron McCauliffe would staunchly stand by that statement in todays version of the game, without qualifying it somewhat. I would say he was talking from a State versus State point of view, looking at the players being produced by the State, not ring-ins who could qulaify through technicalities that come from other countries. That is my opinion.

Look at the history of League in just the past 25 years, and obviously it has changed enormously. The point of that statement back then was to help produce the even contest we have come to know today. I am sure Kiwi imports were the last thing on his mind. Don't get me started on Super League. :fight:

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE]
For me there is a huge difference between a NZ born player who has come through the junior representative ranks in Australia (like Sonny Bell) who wants to play State Of Origin at senior level and that of NZer who comes to Aussie has a couple of good seasons in the NRL and then wants to play in State Of Origin. The former, I believe yes they should be up for consideration, the later, no they shouldn't.This is a good, valid point, and I wonder too if maybe there should be an age cap for junior league players to be eligible. I started a thread for eligibility for Rep footy, and posted same comments.

I think the biggest difference in this arguement is that for you Aussies this is about State Of Origin and for Kiwis this is about international football. Too right mate! And we don't want Origin to be diluted away from what it is meant to be. State pride!

I agree with most of what you say, but as you stated, Aussies (mainly Qld'ers and NSW'men) have a distinctly different idea of what SOO is about. Foreigners see it simply as top level Rugby League. The same as an Aussie being able to do a Haka doesn't fill them with Maori pride, pulling on a SOO jersey won't fill you with State pride if you aren't bred into it, IMO.

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 03:55 PM
NO... on the simple basis that SOO is not just a great spectacle... it's also something for every boy in the bush or city of QLD and NSW to dream about as a kid of playing in... and if Islanders take spots, then the dream is shattered.

QLD'ers ask why we play City vs Country in NSW.. it's for that same reason, sure it doesn't rate so highly and it ain't that great a match at times, but it's the fact that it gives the country kids something to believe in, to aim for, that's why it's there.

Rugby League is all about childhood dreams and boys dreams becoming men's oddessys.

If the NZ players want to play origin, make their own teams from South and North Islands and have their own series so kids in NZ can aspire to that... but don't ruin the dream.... never ruin the dream... :(

This is a great post, because it raises the point of City vs Country, which I have always understood to be the basis of the NSW selection process. So, before we even get into playing for NSW, what about qualifying for a City/Country spot?

And, also like BBW says, SOO is the pinnacle of dreams. Over the past decade or so we have seen Rugby League taken to the point of no return, only to rebuild itself. SOO is the one aspect of RL which should remain true to its core. If we spoil SOO, we have spoilt the heart of passion that drives young kids to represent their State, and the fans who stood by Australian RL through it's darkest hours.

Steve
22-03-08, 04:29 PM
yeah NSW
he played U/17 & U/19 for NSW so Gus Gould was keen on him playing for the Blues

Sounds to me like a certain state will do anything to get a certain Origin shield
back from a certain other state.... even if it means destroying the fabric of Origin football.
:( disgraceful
-

Adrian Lam?
Tony Carroll?
Karmichael Hunt?

Steve
22-03-08, 04:36 PM
Under the current rules, where you're born obviously doesn't matter.

So what country you play for at international level should make no difference in state of origin.

Tony Puletua plays for NZ, yet he not only played his first senior footy in NSW, he'd been living there since he was a toddler. Surely he's more eligible for NSW than Inglis is for Qld? (Not to say he'd get selected anyhow, but it's just an example)

It needs to be pure and simple.
Where you're born is where you represent at every level.

The only exception would be for the small countries such as Lebanon, Greece, USA, everywhere the game is developing. I think having NRL quality players represent those countries not only makes the international games a little more competitive, it gives the local players a chance to play against and besides the cream of the crop and improve those skills.

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 06:47 PM
Under the current rules, where you're born obviously doesn't matter.

So what country you play for at international level should make no difference in state of origin.

It needs to be pure and simple.
Where you're born is where you represent at every level.

The problem with that is what about poor little kiddies, born into a depressive NSW winter, escape to the Sunshine State when they are 2, and live here for the rest of their days,(one day retiring to the White Shoe Capital of Australia, aka the Gold Coast), after having moved through the local Qld footy teams before becoming a formidable Titans player on the verge of Origin glory? And admittedly, some 2 year olds on a drunken week-long bender might decide to move south to NSW, so it can go both ways, but you get my point. It's not always the kids fault he was born a NSW'man. ;)

Maybe there should be a rule that you have to play a set amount of consecutive games in a state, and by a certain age? That way you have some loyalty to the state. Otherwise you are just a gun for hire.

Steve
22-03-08, 07:27 PM
The problem with that is what about poor little kiddies, born into a depressive NSW winter, escape to the Sunshine State when they are 2, and live here for the rest of their days,(one day retiring to the White Shoe Capital of Australia, aka the Gold Coast), after having moved through the local Qld footy teams before becoming a formidable Titans player on the verge of Origin glory? And admittedly, some 2 year olds on a drunken week-long bender might decide to move south to NSW, so it can go both ways, but you get my point. It's not always the kids fault he was born a NSW'man. ;)

Maybe there should be a rule that you have to play a set amount of consecutive games in a state, and by a certain age? That way you have some loyalty to the state. Otherwise you are just a gun for hire.

And it's not Sonny Bill's fault the poor bastard was born in NZ but was lucky enough to grow up in the great state, New South Wales.

There's no reason Sonny Bill can't have pride in both the country he was born AND the state he grew up in.

How is it Khunt has pride in his origin jersey? He moved to Queensland as a teenager.

It should be where you're born. Solves it all.

DIEHARD
22-03-08, 07:30 PM
I find it strange that people will represent another country so easily. If I left Australia at a young age even at 5 years old and played a sport in a professional competition in another country and Australia needed and even asked for (Like NZ did in a lot of cases with NRL players) my allegiance, there is no way I'd turn them down.

I find it completely bizzare that a 15 year old can come over from New Zealand and throw away their allegiance so easily.

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 07:46 PM
And it's not Sonny Bill's fault the poor bastard was born in NZ but was lucky enough to grow up in the great state, New South Wales.

There's no reason Sonny Bill can't have pride in both the country he was born AND the state he grew up in.

How is it Khunt has pride in his origin jersey? He moved to Queensland as a teenager.

It should be where you're born. Solves it all.

That would be an easy fix, but it doesn't address the issue of where your allegiance lies. What concerns me, and maybe in a lot of ways SBW is the scapegoat in this situation, is that SOO will become diluted of it's passion and pride once you start getting "others" representing your state. There was a time when you supported your local club, and it had local players, and it was about local pride. Then they started moving away, chasing offers from bigger clubs. Then Qld'ers moved into Sydney to play in the National code. Now clubs buy and trade players as commodities. Loyalty is second to dollars. Most people, whether you want to admit it or not, support a team history at best, a memory at worst. Even jerseys are changed every year by some clubs just to rake up profits, so sometimes you don't even know what colours your team will have from one year to the next!

SOO is one of those things that has remained a constant, pretty much. No one messes with it, it's a formula that works. As Qld'ers there was uproar when they added some white stripes. We like it just the way it is. Everyone likes it just the way it is. My personal concern is once you start fiddling with it, it will get changed, and it will not be for the better. I don't see how SOO can get any better! We don't need "better" players to make it work. We don't need "internationals" to make it work. You can have ordinary players lift to a new level in origin colours. Look at the 1995 series. SOO works because it is built on State Pride, and you have your State against the other State, and that's just the way we like it. Once we start to adapt it just to suit players personal wants, we start to change what made it great in the first place. I don't want to see that happen.

Steve
22-03-08, 07:51 PM
You're disagreeing with me then proving my point in the same paragraph.

Exactly.
Look at 95. It was the passion that got Queensland home.
Since when was Khunt a Queenslander?
Lam? And don't give me that ****ing bull**** about no good Queensland halves. Since when was it about that? Since when did every team in the Queensland Cup not have a halfback?
That won't work? Remember when the Qld selectors picked some no name out of it to play halfback in Origin? Remember how much they were shouted down by picking this unknown little twit by the name of Allan Langer?

Queensland are already flouting the rules and have been for years. Then NSW considers it and everyone is up in arms? And it's NSW who are destroying the fabric of what origin represents?

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 08:02 PM
Queensland are already flouting the rules and have been for years. Then NSW considers it and everyone is up in arms? And it's NSW who are destroying the fabric of what origin represents?

Mate, i sort of agree with you. There has been a certain amount of licence taken with eligiblility in the past, for different reasons. I'm not a selector, so it's not up to me, and like any passionate Qld or NSW supporter, we want the best team we can muster. But I want to keep it as legit as possible. TBH though, it's this sort of jealous rivalry that has made it great! If you accept SBW, and then we beat you, it's just better for the Qld crowd.

It's not about SBW, it's about where do you draw the line? If he meets all the criteria, then great, he'll play and all his cuzzy-bro's living in Bondi will be there for him. There'll end up being more black and white than Blue around the Sydney grounds though. :p Who would consider SBW to be a NSW'man above being a Kiwi?

Steve
22-03-08, 08:14 PM
Mate, i sort of agree with you. There has been a certain amount of licence taken with eligiblility in the past, for different reasons. I'm not a selector, so it's not up to me, and like any passionate Qld or NSW supporter, we want the best team we can muster. But I want to keep it as legit as possible. TBH though, it's this sort of jealous rivalry that has made it great! If you accept SBW, and then we beat you, it's just better for the Qld crowd.

It's not about SBW, it's about where do you draw the line? If he meets all the criteria, then great, he'll play and all his cuzzy-bro's living in Bondi will be there for him. There'll end up being more black and white than Blue around the Sydney grounds though. :p Who would consider SBW to be a NSW'man above being a Kiwi?

I actually voted no in the poll.

That said.
Thorn. Hunt. Carroll. You guys are already doing well with having half a kiwi side. But apparently they're accepted as Queenslanders. And the NSW born and raised Inglis you're happy to take as a Queenslander too.

If Hunt at 15 can come to Australia and then 2 years later is a passionate Queenslander, you really have to wonder about his passion, loyalty and pride. Hell, I've probably lived in Queensland longer than he has, and I tell you what, I'm a blue for life.

To me the issue isn't even about Williams. Maybe we'll go the way of union with the reds and tah's just having whoever happens to be on contract with people swapping states.

Ryan
22-03-08, 08:19 PM
Thing with Hunt is that he's commited himself to Australia, not New Zealand.
There was no competition in the NZ team for the FB spot, yet he pledged to Australia even though he has to beat so many good Aussie FB's to make the Roo's squad. Same goes for his Origin spot. That say's to me he's a proud Australian\QLD'er.

Is SBW gonna give up his NZ spot? - I don't thinks so. How can you have pride in an Australian State when you play against the country?
You can't play both sides of the field.

I think the rules should be ammended to be clear and simple - Whats on your birth certificate!
Get rid of the loop holes with "My great Grandmother", "My first game was here" and "I've lived here for....."
Blue vs Marroon, no black infidels!

C-Whiz
22-03-08, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE]
To me the issue isn't even about Williams. Maybe we'll go the way of union with the reds and tah's just having whoever happens to be on contract with people swapping states.

And wouldn't that just be the end of it! No one wants that!:nope:

But your other points, let me address them. These guys want to play for Qld. I can't say why, the same as I can't say why you moved here. I could have a pretty good guess why most southerners move here, but I don't know their personal reasons.

Is SBW really passionate about playing for the Blues, or is he just prepared to do it to get into Origin?

Paul
22-03-08, 08:27 PM
To take it slightly on a tangent for a sec

What happens if a Victorian born & bred Storm junior makes his first senior appearance for melb

Would he be elligible for a NSW/QLD SOO spot if he moves to another club?

Ryan
22-03-08, 09:24 PM
To take it slightly on a tangent for a sec

What happens if a Victorian born & bred Storm junior makes his first senior appearance for melb

Would he be elligible for a NSW/QLD SOO spot if he moves to another club?
Find an example ;)

Ryan
22-03-08, 09:26 PM
What if Greg Ingliss wanted to play for Country\City and still play for QLD :rolleyes:

Paul
22-03-08, 09:29 PM
Find an example ;)

lol, I was meaning more for the future in case it does pop up:D

Chaos
22-03-08, 10:58 PM
I don't want to see Kiwis fill positions in the NSW or Queensland teams and I don't think anyone else does either...but most people want to see guys like Sonny Bill play in the best competition.

The only way I see him play Origin is if there was another team (eg. Kiwis)

We have to be realistic about the games international future...will it grow into a stronger competition then Origin?

The games evolving with more athletic Islanders receiving better coaching...let's keep up with it!

BTW. I didn't vote because the question is too cut and dry.