PDA

View Full Version : Golden Boot: Minichello the world's best

DeeGan
22-11-05, 10:24 AM
Golden Boot: Minichello the world's best

AUSTRALIA and Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello has won the Gillette Golden Boot, presented annually to the world's best player.

In the closest vote since the award was first presented in 1985, Minichiello's man-of-the-match performance in the Kangaroos' 26-14 win over Great Britain in the last group match of the Tri-Nations series in Hull last Saturday swung the prestigious honour his way.

His nearest rivals were Bradford Bulls prop Stuart Fielden - one of the big successes of the Lions' generally disappointing campaign - and New Zealand pair Ruben Wiki and Stacey Jones, the 2002 winner.

Minichiello, 25, who will win his 18th cap in Saturday's final against New Zealand, was overnight (AEDT) presented with the award - from Rugby League World magazine - by former Australia international and current Test selector Artie Beetson at the Gillette international rugby league awards in Leeds.

The Roosters fullback was Australia's man of the series in last year's Tri-Nations and he maintained his consistency throughout 2005 at both domestic and international level.

He has been described by Kangaroos assistant coach Craig Bellamy as "the best fullback in the past 20 years''.

Minichiello was also named international back of the year, having been runner-up 12 months ago, while the forward-of-the-year award went to Fielden.

New Zealand's 19-year-old winger Manu Vatuvei collected the newcomer-of-the-year award ahead of compatriot Benji Marshall and Australian Scott Prince.

Australia's Wayne Bennett was named coach of the year, ahead of Brian McClennan, who masterminded the Kiwis' first win in Sydney for 46 years, Australian Tim Mander beat Britain's Steve Ganson for referee of the year and, for the second successive year, the developing nations award went to France's Djamel Fakir.

The awards were decided by a panel of nearly 100 international journalists and broadcasters, plus former players and coaches.

Previous Golden Boot winners
1985 Wally Lewis; 1986 Brett Kenny; 1987 Garry Jack; 1988 Hugh McGahan and Peter Sterling; 1989 Ellery Hanley; 1990 Mal Meninga; 1991-1998 no award given; 1999 Andrew Johns; 2000 Brad Fittler; 2001 Andrew Johns; 2002 Stacey Jones; 2003 Darren Lockyer; 2004 Andy Farrell.

Well they got this one right unlike the 2004 award!

Congrats to Anthony Minichello, well deserved win :thumbsup: Mini' joins Darren Lockyer as the only fullback in the awards history to pick up the title.

Thoughts? I hope this award dismisses talk of of any other fullback being rated ahead of him at the moment - this award cements his standing in the game.

DeeGan

Lachy
22-11-05, 10:29 AM
Well, I suppose on form it was a great choice. But Scott Prince as a newcomer? He's almost a veteran. But it is good he's getting some recognition around the world as one of the best.

DeeGan
22-11-05, 10:33 AM
Well, I suppose on form it was a great choice. But Scott Prince as a newcomer? He's almost a veteran. But it is good he's getting some recognition around the world as one of the best.

I believer the "newcomer" award is to test rugby league lachy ;)

DeeGan

Super Cronk
22-11-05, 10:44 AM
Not a big surprise really....mini was a stand out player this year.

Ipswich Fan
22-11-05, 11:36 AM
I don't often agree with the winners of these awards but they've got it right on this occasion.

Dragons
22-11-05, 04:53 PM
He was the best fullback all year by a country mile

Cliffy GC
22-11-05, 07:29 PM
good on him

but i reackon with the size of his snoz he should of got the golden hankey award ;)

Steelers
22-11-05, 08:01 PM
I believer the "newcomer" award is to test rugby league lachy ;)

DeeGan

Did Matt Cooper make his test debut this year? If he did, then he should of got this award IMO. Prince made little impact in his only game in the green and gold.

In-Cyde #1
22-11-05, 08:02 PM
Previous Golden Boot winners
1985 Wally Lewis; 1986 Brett Kenny; 1987 Garry Jack; 1988 Hugh McGahan and Peter Sterling; 1989 Ellery Hanley; 1990 Mal Meninga; 1991-1998 no award given; 1999 Andrew Johns; 2000 Brad Fittler; 2001 Andrew Johns; 2002 Stacey Jones; 2003 Darren Lockyer; 2004 Andy Farrell.

Mini is in great company. Well done to him.

Ripply
22-11-05, 09:57 PM
lol, i absolutely despise anthony minichello. Except when he's playing for australia. lol

PARANoIR
22-11-05, 10:24 PM
He joins some elite company there. Well done to him.

Kallan
23-11-05, 05:40 PM
I believe Minichello definately deserved this, he would have been my pick. Good on him.

* Yeah my 100th post :happy: *

Go_The_Doggies
23-11-05, 06:12 PM
IMO...i reakon Stacey Jones should have got it, he had an awesome year, dont get me wrong so did mini....but yea...thats just what i think :ok:

Luke
23-11-05, 08:56 PM
i dont really like minichiello (maybe cause he plays for roosters) but he deserved that award and i was reading on NRL.com that he reakons he will get better

DeeGan
23-11-05, 11:54 PM
Anthony Minichello has not peaked, he is 25 turning 26 in May 2006 and won't pick for 2-3 more seasons - scary prospect.

Anthony Minichello barring injury will be the best fullback of his generation and could make a run for the greatest fullback of all-time staying at this level for 5-7 more years - he could break some records playing for Australia especially given he is only 25.

The bar will be set high - Darren Lockyer is going to hold alot of em ;)

DeeGan

Dakink
24-11-05, 09:13 AM
I think those figures show exactly what was wrong with international league 91-98. Nothing was organised and nothing was done. It is good to see that people (and despite my dislike of Bennett here he is a champion for the cause) are strating to really push theinternational game.

SOLIOLA
24-11-05, 05:55 PM
Anthony Minichiello will become one of the Greatest Fullback's.

He doesn't get injured much and is not afraid to run at anybody.

He well deserved the award and im really proud of him.

Minichiello to be future Roosters Captain :)