PDA

View Full Version : Titans honey moon over in 2008

DIEHARD
28-02-08, 04:56 AM
The honeymoon period is well and truly over for the Gold Coast Titans.

In their inaugural NRL season of 2007, the Titans rode a wave of emotion to climb into the top four before injuries to key players cruelled their finals hopes.

They lost eight of their last 10 matches, including a 50-6 thrashing at the hands of eventual premiers Melbourne in the final round as they limped into 12th spot.

With some handy recruits, a new stadium and relatively few injuries heading into their season-opener against North Queensland on March 14, Titans supporters expect better in 2008.

And so does coach John Cartwright, who wants nothing less than a top eight finish.

"It's no fun sitting on the sideline watching the finals," he said.

Canberra coach Neil Henry believes the Titans will prove to be tough opponents but, like the Raiders, they must improve their dreadful away record.

"I think that honeymoon period is over," said Henry after the Raiders took on a determined rookie Titans outfit in a recent trial in Ipswich, west of Brisbane.

"On the back of their first year there was a fair bit of emotion and it pushed them along.

"The test will come this year. Skilled Park is a tremendous venue and it'll be good for visiting teams to come to.

"They only won two games away last year, like we did, so that's going to be a test for them."

Cartwright agreed the Titans must learn to win on the road: "If we can jump up 50 per cent on our away results we'll be in the top four.

"That's definitely one of the season goals, to improve our away form."

After spending a year together, Cartwright believes the Titans will be even hungrier in 2008.

"We went into the season last year a little wide-eyed," he said.

"We couldn't base our goal-setting on anything in the past because it was all brand new to us.

"We've assessed the season and worked out areas where we think we can improve."

The Titans have bulked up their forward pack, recruiting props Aaron Cannings (Parramatta) and Matthew Cross (Penrith), and the signing of Queensland State of Origin back-rower Ashley Harrison will complement workhorses Mark Minichiello and Anthony Laffranchi.

"I think he'll be a major investment in the club over the next five years," Cartwright said about former Roosters player Harrison.

Competition for the wings is fierce, with Matt Petersen, Chris Walker, Smith Samau, teenage sensation Shannon Walker, Brenton Bowen and Ben Jeffrey battling for two spots.

Excitement machine Shannon Walker, 19, is almost certain to play NRL this year but Cartwright says it's important to get the timing right.

"People forget that 18 months ago he was playing country football for Kyogle (in northern NSW)," Cartwright said.

"He's come a long way in a short period of time. Having said that, every level he's jumped to he's handled on his ear.

"I definitely see him playing first grade at some stage this year but we don't want to throw him to the wolves."

Walker showed electrifying pace and a terrific step to score a spectacular try in the February 16 trial against the Raiders.

"I don't know if there's any player in the NRL who could've scored that try," an impressed Cartwright opined.

Of course the Titans' finals hopes will still rest on their big three - halfback Scott Prince, prop Luke Bailey and former Wallaby Mat Rogers, who will get first crack at five-eighth this season.

Rogers, 32, loves getting his hands on the ball and is enjoying training again following off-season neck surgery.

"It's going to be different because he hasn't play a lot of league at five-eighth, if any," Cartwright warned.

"We just have to monitor how he's going.

"Everything says he can handle the role. He was outstanding for us last year."

The Titans certainly have improved their depth but it will amount to nothing if co-captain Prince is injured for a lengthy period.

Like a good wine, Cartwright can only see the former Australian Test and Maroons No.7 improving with age.

"I think Prince has still probably got his best footy in front of him," the coach said.

"Guys like him, they get better with age. I think he's still the key for us if he's healthy and on the paddock.

"I can see him having an outstanding year."

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/