15. Ben Cross
16. Daniel Tolar
17. Cameron Ciraldo
18. Junior Sau
19. Adam MacDougall
(two to be omitted).

Knights V Titans Preview

EnergyAustralia Stadium, Saturday 5.30pm

THE Titans might sit proudly atop the NRL ladder heading into this clash but they will know they are up for a tough challenge travelling to EnergyAustralia Stadium to play the sixth-placed Knights.

The Newcastle boys have had the benefit of a bye to rest up while the Titans not only played last Sunday, but have three of their top-liners playing in the City-Country clash less than 24 hours earlier.

Workhorse back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi (Country) and Mark Minichiello (City) will be opposing each other on Friday night, while centre Brett Delaney will also line up for the City boys.

Sure the Knights’ captain Danny Buderus and prop Ben Cross are also playing for Country, but the Titans are still without gun players Luke Bailey (wrist injury) and Matt Rogers (suspension) also.

Considering the workload usually placed on Laffranchi and Minichiello, it will be a tough ask to just back up, let alone feature prominently in the match.

The Knights welcome back Jarrod Mullen to their line-up at halfback, sending Australian representative Kurt Gidley back to fullback, Wes Naiqama back to centre and Adam MacDougall to the bench. Danny Wicks has been named to start at prop, allowing Cross to start from the bench, while Cameron Ciraldo and Junior Sau have bumped out Richard Fa’aoso to join a six-man bench.

Gidley only needs one try to notch up 50 in his career.

The Titans have added Luke Swain, Kris Kahler, Ian Donnelly and Matt Cross as cover on an eight-man bench in case any of their rep stars can’t perform the double.

Watch out Knights: Preston Campbell was on fire last weekend against the Warriors, making breaks up the middle as well as out wide. The diminutive fullback missed out on Country selection and as such is determined to prove selectors erred in leaving him out. He can slot into any part of a backline move with ease and will need to be constantly monitored by the Knights’ defence. If the forwards get lazy up the middle Campbell will pounce.

Watch out Titans: The Knights are coming at your weakest defensive side as it also doubles as their stronger attacking side. The Knights have scored 12 tries this season on the left (only seven on right) and know full well the Gold Coast boys have leaked 12 tries on the left compared to just five on the right.

The Knights also average more offloads than any other side in the NRL with 14.33 a game.

Where it will be won: Goal-line defence. Both these sides have been very effective at scoring tries from close range, meaning the side that muscles up on their goal line will be the one to prove triumphant.

Having played one extra game the Titans have scored 16 tries from 0-10 metres out from the line this year, the most of any team; the Knights have scored 14 from the same distance to be running second in the competition.

The Knights have conceded 10 tries from this range and the Titans eight, giving the visitors an edge. Whichever side keeps the other away from close range will be likely to come out on top.

The History: Played 1; Knights 0, Titans 1. The only match between the two clubs came last year at Gold Coast Stadium where the Titans prevailed 28-22. It is worth mentioning that the Titans away record is still awful – despite beating Parramatta in Sydney a few weeks ago they still have only managed to win three of 14 away games in their history.

Conclusion: The Titans may have won five straight and sit alone atop the NRL ladder but they face a tough hurdle here. If Laffranchi and Minichiello can’t provide their usual service then the ledger falls towards the Knights, even without Buderus, which is expected to be the case.

The Knights will be expecting a result here, and if they miss out on the victory it will see them fall back into the mire that is the middle of a congested NRL ladder. A 50:50 call here… which means it’s usually better to tip the home side.

By the way – if you’re heading out to the game don’t forget to take along a can of food or old blankets for the Knights’ Samaritans Appeal.

Match officials: Referee – Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials – Peter Kirby & Russell Turner; Video ref – Russell Smith.

Televised: Foxsports 2 – Live 5.30pm

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

DIEHARD
29-04-08, 02:46 AM
This is going to be a tough game. It's going to be like we have been talking about, now we need to deal with being the top team and every team lifting and trying to knock us off our pirch.

Of course that also keeps us honest and we should fire consistantly.

lonegull
29-04-08, 07:02 AM
Brian Smith is looking at resting Buderus, got to be a plus for the titans, although we have three backing up from city country and they have 2 including buderus,

patskE
29-04-08, 09:37 AM
prob same team aye but no bowen, i would put 4 forwards on the bench(grahman being ulity) for mini n boof abcking up
any news on odwyer?

titanstattman
29-04-08, 10:05 AM
i think will be right for this game if we can keet that up beat game that we are playing..

I'll be there fot this one.

GO THE TITANS.....

TITAN PETE
29-04-08, 11:23 AM
prob same team aye but no bowen, i would put 4 forwards on the bench(grahman being ulity) for mini n boof abcking up
any news on odwyer?

Chalky should be right for the weekend just got off the phone to one of his mates & it was only a sprained ankle :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
29-04-08, 11:24 AM
i think will be right for this game if we can keet that up beat game that we are playing..

I'll be there fot this one.

GO THE TITANS.....

I'll be with ya mate :fist:

titanstattman
29-04-08, 11:38 AM
I'll be with ya mate :fist:

We should swap numbers so we can meet up down there where u sitting????

Wat time is kick off??????

titanstattman
29-04-08, 11:51 AM
And where do u get the tickets from as there is none on ticketek just trying to find out how much these are????

GCT_89
29-04-08, 11:58 AM
And where do u get the tickets from as there is none on ticketek just trying to find out how much these are????

http://www.proticket.com.au/

there you go mate........

wish i could make it for this game.........

Titans Rock
29-04-08, 12:19 PM
wont be easy thats for sure especially on the road. i think the Titans can win this and if they do it will prove they are premiership contenders who win on the road as well as at home.

TITANS!!!

titanstattman
29-04-08, 01:15 PM
http://www.proticket.com.au/

there you go mate........

wish i could make it for this game.........

Ur my night n shining arma.....:laugh: :laugh:

DIEHARD
29-04-08, 02:30 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Ben Jeffery
3. Luke O'Dwyer
4. Brett Delaney
5. Matt Petersen
6. Ash Harrison
7. Scott Prince
8. Michael Hodgson
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Josh Graham

14. Aaron Cannings
15. James Stosic
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Brenton Bowen
18. Luke Swain
19. Kris Kahler
20. Ian Donnelly
21. Matthew Cross

TITAN PETE
29-04-08, 02:50 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Ben Jeffery
3. Luke O'Dwyer
4. Brett Delaney
5. Matt Petersen
6. Ash Harrison
7. Scott Prince
8. Michael Hodgson
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Josh Graham

14. Aaron Cannings
15. James Stosic
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Brenton Bowen
18. Luke Swain
19. Kris Kahler
20. Ian Donnelly
21. Matthew Cross

No Conn thats strange as he was almost fit for Sunday :surprise:

DIEHARD
29-04-08, 03:21 PM
In the wake of three representative selections, Anthony Laffranchi (Country), Mark Minichiello and Brett Delaney (both City), forwards Luke Swain, Kris Kahler, Ian Donnelly and Matt Cross have all been included on an extended interchange bench and will travel to Newcastle as cover should any of the trio be unable to back-up.

Source: Titans.......

Helen
29-04-08, 04:18 PM
I hope the boys thump the Knights.. I am NEVER going to hear the end of it if we loose. I have been giving hubby heaps all week... :D

Told him this will be a repeat of last year. :clap:

Helen

titanstattman
29-04-08, 04:42 PM
I hope the boys thump the Knights.. I am NEVER going to hear the end of it if we loose. I have been giving hubby heaps all week... :D

Told him this will be a repeat of last year. :clap:

Helen

:laugh: Dont u let up on him now are u going to the game?

patskE
29-04-08, 05:03 PM
any news on conn?
kahlar :S argh

Supergoose
29-04-08, 08:33 PM
I thought Bailey might be back for this game as well. We're going to need everything we've got to beat the Knights at home. They're playing pretty well and I hope Delaney and Laffranchi come through alright and that Gidley is a little worse for wear. Gidley provides them so much impetus from the back and their forwards feed off that. Real danger game in our streak, not sure who I'll tip yet. I'll wait for more team news as the week progresses. If Bailey plays - we can win.

TITAN PETE
29-04-08, 08:44 PM
I thought Bailey might be back for this game as well. We're going to need everything we've got to beat the Knights at home. They're playing pretty well and I hope Delaney and Laffranchi come through alright and that Gidley is a little worse for wear. Gidley provides them so much impetus from the back and their forwards feed off that. Real danger game in our streak, not sure who I'll tip yet. I'll wait for more team news as the week progresses. If Bailey plays - we can win.

The Bull will be back for the Bulldogs match & Conn has been given another week to recover from the hamstring injury :)

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-04-08, 10:48 PM
According to the Courier Mail :dizzy:

Laffranchi, Minichello and Delaney are hiring a car after the city country game and driving to newcastle, will arrive in the early hours get some sleep and rehab then see how they go, they all sounded keen, so unless the pick up injuries or are completly buggered they will play.

patskE
30-04-08, 07:50 AM
Titans backrower Daniel Conn is expected to miss another week with a hamstring strain while centre Luke O'Dwyer remains in doubt for the Newcastle clash after injuring his ankle against the Warriors at the weekend.

If O'Dwyer is out Gavin Cooper or Josh Graham would be the most likely replacement options to plug the hole left in the backline.

Halfback Scott Prince did not train with the rest of the squad yesterday but Titans coach John Cartwright said his star playmaker was just nursing a `few niggles'.

from gcbulletion

i hope they aint driving that car, stop revive and survive

TITAN PETE
30-04-08, 07:59 AM
According to the Courier Mail :dizzy:

Laffranchi, Minichello and Delaney are hiring a car after the city country game and driving to newcastle, will arrive in the early hours get some sleep and rehab then see how they go, they all sounded keen, so unless the pick up injuries or are completly buggered they will play.

I'd be happy to keep driving south & pick them up from the Gong :thumbsup:

titanstattman
30-04-08, 12:09 PM
The Bull will be back for the Bulldogs match & Conn has been given another week to recover from the hamstring injury :)

didnt the bull get another 6weeks out??????? that was only a a week or two i heard that??

TITAN PETE
30-04-08, 12:13 PM
didnt the bull get another 6weeks out??????? that was only a a week or two i heard that??

He was ruled out untill round 12 (Storm) but said he will be back for the Dogs in round 10 :fist:

Steve
30-04-08, 02:02 PM
They say that backing up the day after a game isn't so hard, it's two days after that it starts to hurt. So hopefully the lads will be fine.

I'm guessing they'll not play as long as usual though, unless we're under the pump.

kwigibo
30-04-08, 02:07 PM
They say that backing up the day after a game isn't so hard, it's two days after that it starts to hurt. So hopefully the lads will be fine.

I'm guessing they'll not play as long as usual though, unless we're under the pump.

Delaney is probably the only one who'll play a full game on friday. That is barring injuries.

Helen
30-04-08, 03:44 PM
:laugh: Dont u let up on him now are u going to the game?

I would love to but this weekend is our wedding anniversary . May 2nd to be precise. Family have planned a surprise (oops I shouldn't know that) party. :D

We will be out of town.

Helen

Airlie Beach Titan
30-04-08, 08:35 PM
12 months ago I would of said we would be in dire straights against Newcastle this week.

All I can say is the form and passion the boys are playing with this year, it's gonna take alot to beat us.

Chaos
30-04-08, 10:03 PM
any news on odwyer?

I agree with you Patske, 4 forwards on the bench to cover our rep players.

I hope Gidley and Buderus have big games in the City/Country match.
I agree it's a danger match for the Titans but I don't rate Newcastle without them two.

Titans Rock
01-05-08, 01:41 PM
Hopefully the Knight know what they are coming up against, a team who has won 5 on the trot and are in hot form and hard to beat. GC just need to play like they do at home and pick up the 2 points on the road

DIEHARD
01-05-08, 03:17 PM
Knights V Titans Preview

THE Titans might sit proudly atop the NRL ladder heading into this clash but they will know they are up for a tough challenge travelling to EnergyAustralia Stadium to play the sixth-placed Knights.

The Newcastle boys have had the benefit of a bye to rest up while the Titans not only played last Sunday, but have three of their top-liners playing in the City-Country clash less than 24 hours earlier.

Workhorse back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi (Country) and Mark Minichiello (City) will be opposing each other on Friday night, while centre Brett Delaney will also line up for the City boys.

Sure the Knights? captain Danny Buderus and prop Ben Cross are also playing for Country, but the Titans are still without gun players Luke Bailey (wrist injury) and Matt Rogers (suspension) also.

Considering the workload usually placed on Laffranchi and Minichiello, it will be a tough ask to just back up, let alone feature prominently in the match.

The Knights welcome back Jarrod Mullen to their line-up at halfback, sending Australian representative Kurt Gidley back to fullback, Wes Naiqama back to centre and Adam MacDougall to the bench. Danny Wicks has been named to start at prop, allowing Cross to start from the bench, while Cameron Ciraldo and Junior Sau have bumped out Richard Fa?aoso to join a six-man bench.

Gidley only needs one try to notch up 50 in his career.

The Titans have added Luke Swain, Kris Kahler, Ian Donnelly and Matt Cross as cover on an eight-man bench in case any of their rep stars can?t perform the double.

Watch out Knights: Preston Campbell was on fire last weekend against the Warriors, making breaks up the middle as well as out wide. The diminutive fullback missed out on Country selection and as such is determined to prove selectors erred in leaving him out. He can slot into any part of a backline move with ease and will need to be constantly monitored by the Knights? defence. If the forwards get lazy up the middle Campbell will pounce.

Watch out Titans: The Knights are coming at your weakest defensive side as it also doubles as their stronger attacking side. The Knights have scored 12 tries this season on the left (only seven on right) and know full well the Gold Coast boys have leaked 12 tries on the left compared to just five on the right.

The Knights also average more offloads than any other side in the NRL with 14.33 a game.

Where it will be won: Goal-line defence. Both these sides have been very effective at scoring tries from close range, meaning the side that muscles up on their goal line will be the one to prove triumphant.

Having played one extra game the Titans have scored 16 tries from 0-10 metres out from the line this year, the most of any team; the Knights have scored 14 from the same distance to be running second in the competition.

The Knights have conceded 10 tries from this range and the Titans eight, giving the visitors an edge. Whichever side keeps the other away from close range will be likely to come out on top.

The History: Played 1; Knights 0, Titans 1. The only match between the two clubs came last year at Gold Coast Stadium where the Titans prevailed 28-22. It is worth mentioning that the Titans away record is still awful ? despite beating Parramatta in Sydney a few weeks ago they still have only managed to win three of 14 away games in their history.

Conclusion: The Titans may have won five straight and sit alone atop the NRL ladder but they face a tough hurdle here. If Laffranchi and Minichiello can?t provide their usual service then the ledger falls towards the Knights, even without Buderus, which is expected to be the case.

The Knights will be expecting a result here, and if they miss out on the victory it will see them fall back into the mire that is the middle of a congested NRL ladder. A 50:50 call here? which means it?s usually better to tip the home side.

By the way ? if you?re heading out to the game don?t forget to take along a can of food or old blankets for the Knights? Samaritans Appeal.

Match officials: Referee ? Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials ? Peter Kirby & Russell Turner; Video ref ? Russell Smith.

Televised: Foxsports 2 ? Live 5.30pm

TITAN PETE
01-05-08, 04:01 PM
Knights V Titans Preview

Match officials: Referee ? Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials ? Peter Kirby & Russell Turner; Video ref ? Russell Smith.

Televised: Foxsports 2 ? Live 5.30pm

I Loved Leo Gets in Lethal Weapon but i hate it when he's playing Gavin Badger on the Footy field as he's not too sure about the rules of the game :laugh:

hully gully
01-05-08, 08:12 PM
heard a rumour buderous is out..

Timmy Titans
01-05-08, 08:16 PM
I thnk i heard that as well

i'll have a look at team list

Timmy Titans
01-05-08, 08:18 PM
Nah it says his name in the team lists

So unless he is under an injury cloud he is probably going to play

C-Whiz
01-05-08, 08:42 PM
I Loved Leo Gets in Lethal Weapon but i hate it when he's playing Gavin Badger on the Footy field as he's not too sure about the rules of the game :laugh:

I haven't got a clue what you're on about. :dizzy:

But this could be a real beauty! I'd be happy with a field goal in extra time, but a win by 13+ would be even better! :p

C-Whiz
01-05-08, 08:43 PM
Nah it says his name in the team lists

So unless he is under an injury cloud he is probably going to play

he will be after Friday night.

DIEHARD
01-05-08, 11:26 PM
LEAGUEHQ.COM.AU PREVIEW

KNIGHTS vs TITANS

Saturday, EnergyAustralia Stadium, 5.30pm

Referee: Gavin Badger

Hopefully, for the Knights, hooker and captain Danny Buderus will emerge from the previous night's game for Country against City in good shape and be able to back up against the Titans. The Knights wouldn't be out of the game if Buderus didn't play, but it would drastically reduce their chances of winning. The Titans are on a roll and there will be periods in this game when Scott Prince and Preston Campbell bend the home defence out of shape with their clever running. It is at times like that, when the Knights are trying to pull themselves together quickly, that the experience of a player like Buderus becomes invaluable.

The Knights will no doubt try to keep it tight early, with plenty of dummy-half running and a kicking game aimed at pinning the Titans in the corners. The enthusiasm of the home side is enormous and more than once already this season they have displayed an ability to run over the top of teams late in games which they didn't look like winning for the most part. The Titans have won five straight and won't sit back. Their forwards will work hard to win space for halfback Prince, who, with any room in which to move, can be devastating.

Late mail

Newcastle coach Brian Smith has prepared his side as if hooker Danny Buderus will not back up from tonight's City-Country for their clash with Gold Coast tomorrow night. If he does not play, Matt Hilder will start at hooker, although Kurt Gidley will spend some time there during the game. Adam MacDougall, named as 19th man, is likely to join the bench.

Gold Coast will take every player named to Newcastle after coach John Cartwright named an eight-man bench, with Brett Delaney, Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello backing up from tonight's representative game. Michael Hodgson has a slight foot injury but has been cleared to play.

KNIGHTS: Kurt Gidley, James McManus, Wes Naiqama, Keith Lulia, Cooper Vuna, Chris Bailey, Jarrod Mullen, Danny Wicks, Danny Buderus (capt), Jesse Royal, Chris Houston, Cory Paterson, Zeb Taia. Interchange: Matt Hilder, Ben Cross, Daniel Tolar, Cameron Ciraldo, Junior Sau, Adam MacDougall (two to be omitted).

TITANS: Preston Campbell, Ben Jeffery, Luke O'Dwyer, Brett Delaney, Matt Petersen, Ashley Harrison, Scott Prince (capt), Michael Hodgson, Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Josh Graham. Interchange: Aaron Cannings, James Stosic, Gavin Cooper, Brenton Bowen, Luke Swain, Kris Kahler, Ian Donnelly, Matt Cross (four to be omitted).

Titans Rock
02-05-08, 10:39 AM
its not a great idea to have the City - Country match a day before the round starts. key players need to recover and rest. should be played on a weekend where all teams get the week off

Steve
02-05-08, 11:23 AM
its not a great idea to have the City - Country match a day before the round starts. key players need to recover and rest. should be played on a weekend where all teams get the week off

I actually think they should do this for all rep games. Give all the other players a rest too, apparently they get worked too hard.

goldcoastitans
02-05-08, 11:26 AM
I actually think they should do this for all rep games. Give all the other players a rest too, apparently they get worked too hard.

couldnt agree more!

DIEHARD
02-05-08, 11:15 PM
FREE BEER AT KNIGHTS V TITANS

It's Bluetongue's shout at this Saturday's Knights v Titans blockbuster at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

No gimmicks or strings attached - the first 1000 adults through the gate will receive a voucher to get their first Bluetongue beer free!

The offer is limited to one voucher per adult - so get your ticket early!

Repeating - Bluetongue and the Knights are shouting, this Saturday, Knights V Titans, EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Gates open at 12.55pm for members and 1.10pm for non-members.

Main game kick off - 5.30pm.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au

BING103
03-05-08, 12:25 PM
Everyone is backing up including Buderus

Scott Prince has a niggling injury but he's ok.

C-Whiz
03-05-08, 12:37 PM

No gimmicks or strings attached - the first 1000 adults through the gate will receive a voucher to get their first Bluetongue beer free!

Gates open at 12.55pm for members and 1.10pm for non-members.

Main game kick off - 5.30pm.

Don't know if I'd want to be sitting around at Newcastle Stadium for 4.5 hours just to get a free beer! Maybe free beer until kick-off would get me there when the gates open! :thumbsup:

Anyway, really looking forward to this game. Just hope the boys can hold up and aren't too sore or tired from last night. Also hope to see some of the Southern Legion (and Section 30 Legion) on TV waving the flags for the Tiatns. We'll keep an eye out for you all.

BING103
03-05-08, 12:56 PM
Buderus has now been ruled out.

patskE
03-05-08, 01:23 PM
bing are u for real?
even if
we are in with a strong chance
newcastle will be lacking match fitness due to the bye
n with cross n danny backing up they will tire easy!

Capital_Shark
03-05-08, 01:56 PM
Titans are giving good odds on a 1-12 win, and even better on 13+. I'm fairly confident they'll win, but I'm not sure by how much. No Buderus leans me toward a bigger win for the Titans, but Laffranchi and Mini backing up might counter that and keep it 1-12.

Tough one.

patskE
03-05-08, 02:11 PM
cant beleive we aint fav's
i would of put some money for us by 13+
argh with no danny esp.

BING103
03-05-08, 05:11 PM
Bit confident you are patske.

Robbie_Dee
03-05-08, 07:05 PM
Knights 12
Titans 6 with 12 minutes to go.

Timmy Titans
03-05-08, 07:26 PM
Newcastle win 13-12

FULL TIME

patskE
03-05-08, 07:32 PM
man
sooo dull
that game reminded me of titans 08, just had nothign
prince wasnt on his game, campbell was our best, forwards just getting out done. even when we did our moves n stuff, still felt dud
pretty dud milk by hilder at the end
he started to fall b4 he touched meyers, reminded me of the world cup n neil
dywer was solid to, but we just didnt adapt to was castle where doing to us. we need conn back tbh in that lock spot
swain was :S

BING103
03-05-08, 07:49 PM
Too confident Patske I told you.

goldcoastitans
03-05-08, 08:15 PM
i have no idea what the hell happened there but we were not playing as the team i know ...the only 3 that stood out to me where
Presto, Meyers and Cooper ....where where the rest of them

kwigibo
03-05-08, 08:20 PM
dywer was solid to,

I give O'Dwyer a lot of crap, but ****, that forward pass call late was terribly unfair, he did nothing wrong. Refs, they go the whole game not calling them, then when it matters, they call something forward that isn't. NRL coaches are right, the referees are the scariest part of any game.

goldcoastitans
03-05-08, 08:22 PM
^
^
^
Good Call!!!

kwigibo
03-05-08, 08:37 PM
That said, hopefully they don't play a half of football like that 1st 40 gain this season.

patskE
03-05-08, 08:38 PM
they werent too confindent
thye just didnt show up i rkn
prince wasnt himself

kwigibo
03-05-08, 08:56 PM
they werent too confindent
thye just didnt show up i rkn
prince wasnt himself

I blame the southern legion ;)

Paul
03-05-08, 09:01 PM
I think we need to give the knights some credit. They smashed us out of the game in the first half, closed down Prince surprisingly well then the second half we had all the ball and the knights defended extremely well.

We were garbage in the first half and thats where we lost it but sometimes you just have to put your arms up and say you were beaten by a better team on the night

Well done Newcastle

For us I thought Preston/Harrison and Friend played well,Everyone else was "meh"

TITANS007
03-05-08, 09:42 PM
Princey didn't get a chance to play well in the first half cos he was continuously kicking outside of the attacking zone because our forwards weren't making any yards. He was getting rushed in defence as well so he didn't get time to make great kicks. I thought he played much better in the 2nd half. He got several repeat sets thanks to good attacking position and also scored a great solo try and set up our only other try with a great pass to Mini. He tried hard but the Knights defense was pretty outstanding all game, and that's what they won this game on.

BING103
03-05-08, 09:51 PM
Would you say the Knights should be taken more seriously by teams?

Paul
03-05-08, 09:57 PM
Would you say the Knights should be taken more seriously by teams?

Not really,I think any team in the NRL should be taken seriously as a threat, even souths haha

Newcastle were right on their game tonight,and Buderus was even missing.As good as they were we were equally as poor. We looked tired as hell after about 5 minutes,Not just the City/Country players, the whole team

so when you look at it from that perspective we didn't do too badly,we only lost by a point even though we played awful for most of the game

jenwood
03-05-08, 10:11 PM
Agree with you Paul-we didnt play that badly but the Knights were fierce and relentless in defence and never let us get our rhythm in attack. Credit where its due-they were the better team even though is was 2 tries a piece! The boys tried to get into their fast attacking game as usual from the start but Newcastle wouldnt let them-well done Knights-

kwigibo
03-05-08, 10:49 PM
This is why I keep saying we need more creativity in the backs. You shut down Prince, you shut down the Titans.

BING103
03-05-08, 11:07 PM
Harrison dropped the ball close to the line a few times which didnt help.

The Prince try I thought shouldnt have been scored.

Paul
03-05-08, 11:18 PM
Yes I agree,Prince's try was deffo short of the line. I would of been rope-able if a try like that was scored against the titans. It was NEVER a try in a million years

C-Whiz
04-05-08, 06:50 AM
The Knights were the better team for most of the match. Their second half defence was awesome, especially when we had so much ball and field position. But why we didn't just attack the line more often is beyond me. Too much throwing the ball around to players who had no idea what to do with it left us wanting. We should have been running angles instead of running around in circles IMO.

Still 13-12, it was really anyones game. We just didn't click last night, for whatever reason.

ps, Kurt Gidley was the difference last night IMO. He was outstanding. Preston was good for us, probably our best.

Ryan
04-05-08, 08:11 AM
Also give a shout out to the Big Red (Brad Meyers)
Clocked up 72mins and made quite a few tackles and meters.
That penalty against him in the last minute was bulls@#t......
I think he made the effort to step up with Laffrancci & Minni on the bench.

Canberra_Titan
04-05-08, 09:09 AM
Have to agree with you all, Titan's definitely were not in form plus the Knights defence was killing them. Their tackles were brutal all knight and some of our boys looked like they didn't know what state they were in let alone what city. Preston, where were you in 07? How good is he playing, I screamed when the play he set up at the end of the first half didn't end in a try. I'd like to say the final kick should have been a pass instead but I'm a fan not a player and it was just bad luck we didn't score at the end. The Knights wanted that win more than us and while we stepped up in the second half (especially Minechello, he did nothing in the 1st half) we were simply out done on the Knight.

Yes the ref's calls and video ref's calls were crap at some stages but if we played our "A Game" it would not have been a factor as we would definitely have a had another try or three up our sleeve.

Cheers

Canberra Titan

RLfan
04-05-08, 10:15 AM
I know a couple of calls were crap, but TBH In thought they were going aganist the Knightss? Anyone agree?

Helen
04-05-08, 10:52 AM
prince wasnt himself

Snipped

Same thing last year. Prince went off his game when he missed out on selection.

Helen

dee13
04-05-08, 01:20 PM
What p**sed me off was when the cameras crossed to the players bench and Mini, Boof and Dizzle were sitting on it. They wouldn't have been sitting there if they didn't play on Friday night in that no event called City V Country.

Im an angry blue guy today and Im taking aim:fight:

Capital_Shark
04-05-08, 01:34 PM
Knights were great. Defensively handled one of the best attacking sides in the comp with ease. Shut Prince down brilliantly too. Most his kicks didn't make it through and the ones that did found the back 3 on the full. I'd give Prince a touch up if I were Harrison after the amount of hospital ball he provided.

What p**sed me off was when the cameras crossed to the players bench and Mini, Boof and Dizzle were sitting on it. They wouldn't have been sitting there if they didn't play on Friday night in that no event called City V Country.

:cry:

Hoppy2007Dragons
04-05-08, 02:29 PM
Gidley and Cross put in a 100% effort, maybe cartwright should have used someone on his extended bench instead of playing them, like smioth did with buderus ;)

kwigibo
04-05-08, 02:56 PM
Gidley and Cross put in a 100% effort, maybe cartwright should have used someone on his extended bench instead of playing them, like smioth did with buderus ;)

I heard repeatedly that they'd have no trouble backing up, but when you lose by 1 point it makes it hard not to imagine a different result with 17 equally well prepared players.

kwigibo
04-05-08, 03:00 PM
Shut Prince down brilliantly too. Most his kicks didn't make it through and the ones that did found the back 3 on the full. I'd give Prince a touch up if I were Harrison after the amount of hospital ball he provided.

It'd be prudent to be less of a one man team. Some don't agree with me, but I think this game hung a lantern on it.

Boofhead
04-05-08, 03:45 PM
I heard repeatedly that they'd have no trouble backing up, but when you lose by 1 point it makes it hard not to imagine a different result with 17 equally well prepared players.

QFT.

---

I didn't get to see all of the match, I did however see the first 40 and was convinced they would put another 30+ on us.

The bye couldn't come at a better time TBH.

TITAN FOREVER
04-05-08, 04:37 PM
The Knights were the better team on the night, it's as simple as that. Titans weren't all that bad.

Steve
04-05-08, 05:02 PM
I gotta agree, the Knights actually played pretty damn well, but in the end not much in it.
If Petersen hadn't fallen for the dummy, if Petersen had passed instead of kicking, the game was ours. A few calls could have gone our way that didn't, but in the end, that's footy.

GCT_89
04-05-08, 08:47 PM
I gotta agree, the Knights actually played pretty damn well, but in the end not much in it.
If Petersen hadn't fallen for the dummy, if Petersen had passed instead of kicking, the game was ours. A few calls could have gone our way that didn't, but in the end, that's footy.

i noticed a few irregular errors from sideshow last night.................now i understand his mind was elsewhere...................:fight:

C-Whiz
04-05-08, 09:00 PM
i noticed a few irregular errors from sideshow last night.................now i understand his mind was elsewhere...................:fight:

Funny, I was thinking the EXACT same thing last night. And now we know why.

daveyk
04-05-08, 09:04 PM
the knights were red hot last night for sure... they really managaed to shut down scotty on his kicks and we just werent able to react quick enough...

second half was alot better, we really took it up to the knoghts with plenty of ball.. but they were just too good for us on the night... as for hilder... when is he switching codes to play soccer??? great dive

TITAN PETE
04-05-08, 09:13 PM
I just got home from the match (only 8 hrs down the road) & the Knights deserved the win even if the 1st try was a Knock on :( , they tackled their butts off with Matt Waltzing Hilder making 57 of them :surprise:

I was rapped with how Hodgo played it was easily his best game for us & he stood up when needed :thumbsup:

Down 12 nil at Energy with 21000 cheering their rings off it could have easily turned into 40+ but they fought back well & a comment made on the ABC broadcast by Warren Ryan was that the Titans remind him of the Storm with the machine like attack :surprise:

It was great to catch up with the Tattsman & he taught me the Newcastle team chant & if you've been there you would know how it goes "New Cas Ell" but we chanted a different version "YOU ASS HOLES & it sounded Great ! :laugh:

TITAN PETE
04-05-08, 09:32 PM

It's Bluetongue's shout at this Saturday's Knights v Titans blockbuster at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

The offer is limited to one voucher per adult - so get your ticket early!

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au

After going there & drinking the beer :drinkies: i can see why they give so much of the Shyte away :nonono:

Titans Rock
04-05-08, 11:13 PM
good effort by the Knights but 1 point...come on!!! :(

lonegull
05-05-08, 07:19 AM
a couple of wrong options cost the titans dearly, especially sideshow on the wing i think he should have run instead of kick, but thats history, we seemed to lack a bit of spark i think the titans were flat, min and boof only played limited minutes, graham got knocked cold, one thing on graham everytime he carts the ball forward he either gets smashed or loses ground, stosic didnt get sighted much i think he will get a stint in the q cup after the bye, with henderson and bull back hopefully all in all the titans didnt give up and showed there fighting spirit (i think the city country game cost us the win)

DIEHARD
05-05-08, 11:55 AM
Officials played big part in scuttling Coast's record

REFEREE Gavin Badger and his video counterpart Russell Smith played starring roles in bringing down the Titans' record winning streak at the weekend.

The performances of the officials left both Titans coach John Cartwright and his Newcastle counterpart Brian Smith confused.

The Titans made it clear they did not want to whinge, and know they were not at their best. But Badger -- who allowed plays around the ruck to go in slow motion -- and puzzling decisions by Smith took the fate of the game out of both the Titans' and the Knights' hands.

Just eight penalties were blown in the entire match, yet Badger saw fit to penalise a dazed Brad Meyers in the 78th minute for a ruck infringement on ex-Titan Matt Hilder.

Cartwright said both teams found it impossible to get quick play-the-balls to set up attacking raids.

"It was a really slow game, there were no penalties at the ruck, it was the same for both sides, there's no complaints," he said.

The penalty on Meyers, who admitted he was 'out of it' after copping a knock, incensed the Titans and took away any chance of a last-minute victory.

"That was crucial. With two and a half minutes to go we'd had them under a lot of pressure, it was a game-breaking decision really," said Cartwright.

Without being prompted, Knights coach Brian Smith brought up the issue of Badgers' penalty count in the post-match press conference.

"It's hard to know ... we're going from some games where we've had I think it was 20 penalties in a game," he said.

"I thought it was pretty obvious that either the referee had instructions or he seemed to have an attitude that there wasn't going to be a lot of penalties."

If Badger had the starring role, (Russell) Smith was able support.

In the 20th minute Knights centre Wes Naiqama leapt high to take a bomb from Knights halfback Jarrod Mullen and appeared to knock on at least once before he grounded it. Smith awarded the try to give Newcastle a 6-0 lead.

The Knights also had plenty to whinge about when Smith ruled `ref's call' after Prince claimed a try.

Replays showed it was difficult to ascertain whether Prince had made it to the line or if it was a double movement. Smith was adamant Prince did not score.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

titanstattman
05-05-08, 08:52 PM
I just got home from the match (only 8 hrs down the road) & the Knights deserved the win even if the 1st try was a Knock on :( , they tackled their butts off with Matt Waltzing Hilder making 57 of them :surprise:

I was rapped with how Hodgo played it was easily his best game for us & he stood up when needed :thumbsup:

Down 12 nil at Energy with 21000 cheering their rings off it could have easily turned into 40+ but they fought back well & a comment made on the ABC broadcast by Warren Ryan was that the Titans remind him of the Storm with the machine like attack :surprise:

It was great to catch up with the Tattsman & he taught me the Newcastle team chant & if you've been there you would know how it goes "New Cas Ell" but we chanted a different version "YOU ASS HOLES & it sounded Great ! :laugh:

Hello all im still making my way home but i'll be home tomor.

It was good to catch up with sum of the boys down there and yes the chant was great and allso the knight fans didnt like it wen i told them we in the andy johns stand and there shoild be a pill under the seat but tyhey all had a good :laugh: about it we had a cpl of titnas fans sitting near us so it was good.

The game it really did feel wer lost our sping in our step this game and it seems like the knights have watched our game cuz they just shut us down everytime we tounch the ball.....:fight: