PDA

View Full Version : Round 5: Parramatta Eels vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
27-02-08, 10:52 PM
Parramatta Eels vs Gold Coast Titans
Parramatta Stadium; Friday 11th April, 7:45pm

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx2710.gif vs http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

Referee:

Teams:

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/eels.jpg
1. Luke BURT
2. Taulima TAUTAI
3. Joel REDDY
4. Jarryd HAYNE
5. Eric GROTHE
6. Brett FINCH
7. Tim SMITH
8. Nathan CAYLESS [C]
9. Mark RIDDELL
10. Fuifui MOIMOI
11. Nathan HINDMARSH
12. Daniel WAGON
13. Feleti MATEO

Interchange:

14. Matthew KEATING
15. Josh CORDOBA
16. Chad ROBINSON
17. Weller HAURAKI
http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/gold-coast-titans.jpg
1 Preston Campbell
2 Ben Jeffery
3 Luke O'Dwyer
4 Brett Delaney
5 Matt Petersen
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince
8 James Stosic
9 Nathan Friend
10 Brad Meyers
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange:

14 Aaron Cannings
15 Daniel Conn
16 Josh Graham
17 Brenton Bowen
18 Michael Hodgson
19 Gavin Cooper

patskE
08-04-08, 06:47 PM
1. campbell
2. peterson
3. odwyer
4. delaney
5. jeffery
6 rogers
7 prince
8 stosic
9 friend
10 meyers
11 laffanci
12 mini
13 harrison
14 cannings
15 conn
16 grahman
17 bowen
18 cooper

just watched titans tv n thats it
i guess bowen is incase peterson gets ruled out

Queenslander
08-04-08, 07:04 PM
Teams

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/eels.jpg
1. Luke BURT
2. Taulima TAUTAI
3. Joel REDDY
4. Jarryd HAYNE
5. Eric GROTHE
6. Brett FINCH
7. Tim SMITH
8. Nathan CAYLESS [C]
9. Mark RIDDELL
10. Fuifui MOIMOI
11. Nathan HINDMARSH
12. Daniel WAGON
13. Feleti MATEO

Interchange:

14. Matthew KEATING
15. Josh CORDOBA
16. Chad ROBINSON
17. Weller HAURAKI
http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/gold-coast-titans.jpg

1 Preston Campbell
2 Ben Jeffery
3 Luke O'Dwyer
4 Brett Delaney
5 Matt Petersen
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince
8 James Stosic
9 Nathan Friend
10 Brad Meyers
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange:

14 Aaron Cannings
15 Daniel Conn
16 Josh Graham
17 Brenton Bowen
18 Michael Hodgson
19 Gavin Cooper

karnage
08-04-08, 07:38 PM
I am glad they picked Tim Smith - he is likely to be among our best players!!

You never know, if we win comfortably and he plays up to his usual form he could take Dally M votes away from our own players.

TITAN PETE
08-04-08, 08:13 PM
Apart from losing Bull we have a excellent team & there will be no excuses if the boys don't all Fire :fight:

Sideshow to have a blinder with Stosic & Meyers showing the way forward :fist:

DIEHARD
08-04-08, 08:34 PM
I think the Titans will beat the Eels. I'm very confident. Even without Bailey, our forwards will step up.

Hopefully our road campaign can get kick off this Friday and then once we start winning them on the road and securing our home fortress, the rest of the competition will very much begin to fear us.

patskE
08-04-08, 08:38 PM
aint finch n reddy in danger of facing a 1 week ban for dangerous tackle?
meyers has to show his exp n show em how its done

Parra Petty
08-04-08, 09:09 PM
Hey,

Both Finch and Reddy took the EGP, so both will play.

Through my biased eyes, I think Parra will bounce back well after last weeks thrashing. Like the Titans, we are a different team at home (especially on a Friday night at the Stadium), and I think many undersetimate the amount of cleaning up work that Bailey actually does.

All I can say for sure, is that Petersen, Delaney, O'Dwyer and Cannings are going to be in for a while night in front of their home crowd!!

I am going to stick with the Eels in a close one, probably 16-12.

But then again, my footy tips suck this year!!

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Hoppy2007Dragons
08-04-08, 10:45 PM
I'm just curious with Bowen named at 17, he will be playing at this stage, i'm thinking that at some stage o'dwyer will move to the pack and bowen will go to centre, because i don't think bowen would fit into the pack or hooker very well.

Anyone have any thoughts????

BringBackWillie
08-04-08, 10:59 PM
We're quietly confident, even without Bailey, the titans can turn things around away.

Issue here is there is rain forecast for Friday so that may change things....:doh:

Glad to see Bowen in the squad too!

patskE
08-04-08, 11:26 PM
number of bench dont mean anything :S
pretty sure amos was 14 or something n got drop'd jsut a number on the bench
prob keep the same bench

Supergoose
09-04-08, 03:04 AM
Bowen might play - he might go to fullback and Presto will get a run at hooker. But I doubt it. Carty is considering going with and extra prop. I'd rather see both Graham and Cooper on the bench as they give us cover in the backs as well and we can push Laffranchi up front if we need to. Cannings and Hodgson likely to both be picked on the bench and Cooper will probably drop off for Conn who can also play prop in a pinch and Harrison can always be shifted out into the centres (or 5/8) if there is injury

TITAN PETE
09-04-08, 07:53 AM
Bowen might play - he might go to fullback and Presto will get a run at hooker. But I doubt it. Carty is considering going with and extra prop. I'd rather see both Graham and Cooper on the bench as they give us cover in the backs as well and we can push Laffranchi up front if we need to. Cannings and Hodgson likely to both be picked on the bench and Cooper will probably drop off for Conn who can also play prop in a pinch and Harrison can always be shifted out into the centres (or 5/8) if there is injury

Bowen may get a shot on the bench but i don't think there is Any chance that Conn would be left out of the 17 man squad as he had a great game before the smack in the face ended his night :doh:

Steve
09-04-08, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking Bowen was included incase Petersen isn't able to play. I heard Mini is injured? This would explain the extended bench.

karnage
09-04-08, 08:34 AM
Haven't heard anything about Mini being hurt.

Bowen is definitely named purely as insurance for Sideshow.

Conn would be a certainty to play if fit - he has really stood out as being very classy in both games that I have seen him play live this year. He did nothing last year but if he keeps improving he could turn into one of our best.

The Sydney weather is a worry - our ball movement and passing before the line is not suited in a wet weather game.

Cartwright has named an extended squad (18+) for every game this year so it just seems to be par for the course for him to do this. If Mini is OK and Conn comes up then I think we can be very competitive with the Eels who have not been at all impressive in any of their games. I am still tipping us to win.

TITAN PETE
09-04-08, 10:48 AM
The Sydney weather is a worry - our ball movement and passing before the line is not suited in a wet weather game.

It was wet on Saturday night when we scored the Best Try of the Year so far ;)

goldcoastitans
09-04-08, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking Bowen was included incase Petersen isn't able to play. I heard Mini is injured? This would explain the extended bench.

Steve i just heard that to but its not Mark its Anthony...he has back problems again and he is out...which is good news for Titans..we need Mark!

Titans Rock
09-04-08, 01:07 PM
great to see Bowen lining up for the titans, a good player to have in interchange. its gonna be a close game...Titans, Just!

patskE
09-04-08, 05:12 PM
man carty always names 1 or 2 extra players
bowen is just in the team incase peterson fail's fitness test...

Steve
09-04-08, 05:16 PM
Steve i just heard that to but its not Mark its Anthony...he has back problems again and he is out...which is good news for Titans..we need Mark!

Oh phew.
I was reading about Anthony earlier, it should have clicked. :D

Chaos
09-04-08, 08:09 PM
There's no doubt our game plan doesn't suit the wet and it would be hard to pick the Titans playing away, in the rain.
If there is any consolation with Bailey out, it's the fact Stosic is a big boy and may suit a wet weather game.

I'm still hopping the sun shines Friday...

squirrell
09-04-08, 09:36 PM
someone said about baileys immense cleaning up abilities,how many times have i seen him chase down a opposition back and save a potential try,doubt our other fwds are capable of his turn of speed and thats a worry i have.If stosic and myers can hold on to the ball hitting up we should be ok,but jeffries wont be marking grothe?i would be worried at that match up.

Parra Petty
09-04-08, 09:57 PM
Yep squirrell,

Thats the point I was making earlier - I was watching Bailey closely early in the second half of last Saturday's game, and the amount of work he does for a prop is simply outstanding. He plays at least 70 minutes each week - I cant see Stosic or Hodgson doing that, meaning Cartwright will have to use more interchanges, or run with a 3/4 prop interchange.

kwigibo
09-04-08, 10:12 PM
Yep squirrell,

Thats the point I was making earlier - I was watching Bailey closely early in the second half of last Saturday's game, and the amount of work he does for a prop is simply outstanding. He plays at least 70 minutes each week - I cant see Stosic or Hodgson doing that, meaning Cartwright will have to use more interchanges, or run with a 3/4 prop interchange.

Which is why I think he should have picked Cross, can play back row but is much bigger than mini or frank. Cannings can maybe too. Stosic and Hodgson are really just straight up props though. Meyers has plenty of back row experience too, so not a huge problem. None of these guys have too much endurance though, so if injuries hit, Carty will end up with 3 or 4 tired big men on the park at the end of the game. Late points to the eels maybe. Keep Conn, Graham and Cooper, they can play wide or in the middle, prop in an emergency, and probably give him a lot more minutes.

DIEHARD
10-04-08, 01:02 AM
Shuffle pack to cover for inspirational Bull

INSPIRATIONAL Titans rugby league forward leader Luke Bailey will be sidelined for up to six weeks with a fractured forearm.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright confirmed the bad news regarding the club's co-captain last night.

But despite describing the injury as a 'massive blow', Cartwright said the fledgling franchise had matured enough to cover for the loss of the international prop.

"Sure it is a massive blow. It would be a massive blow for any team to lose a frontrower of his calibre," said Cartwright.

"Twelve months ago this would have rocked me a lot more.

"But now I am pretty comfortable with the guys we have around him.

"I really think individually we are putting a lot more in.

"I just think that everyone around is lifting and we are playing much more of a team game this year."

Cartwright said Bailey had injured his right arm early in the second half of Saturday night's win 32-12 win over the Canberra Raiders.

He had come from the field complaining of numbness and had gone into the sheds for a medical assessment.

According to Cartwright the medical advice was that Bailey could play on, but as the Titans dominated the Raiders in the second half the coach decided not to risk one of his key players.

Yesterday the arm was still sore and Bailey was sent for X-rays which confirmed a partial fracture of the radius. He is expected to be out for between four and six weeks.

Cartwright said the fact that he did not play Bailey in the second half was an indication of the confidence he now has in the players around him.

"He (Bailey) missed almost the entire second half and 12 months ago I would have been on the edge of my chair the whole time," said the coach.

"Back then, I would have had him straight back on the moment I got the word. But I was comfortable with not having to do that.

"James Stosic went on and did a great job.

"Aaron Cannings is doing a fantastic job off the bench, Michael Hodgson was out the last two weeks, but started the year really well and big Brad Meyers is a real tradesman.

"I am mourning the fact that he will be missed -- but at the same time I am comfortable with the blokes around him.

"The decision now will be how do we replace him. We will probably have to go with an extra frontrower on the bench, because Bails usually plays 70 minutes."

The Titans, sitting equal first on the ladder with three wins and a loss, are away to the Eels on Friday night.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
10-04-08, 01:04 AM
Petersen back to face old side

THE longest off-season in Matt Petersen's career is finally over, with the cult figure yesterday given the all clear to make his anticipated NRL return against his former club on Friday night.

Petersen was named on the right wing in the absence of injured flyer Jordan Atkins ahead of the Titans' tough road trip to Parramatta.

The 28-year-old was raring to go during the pre-season before an unusual hip injury before the first trial match forced him to undergo surgery and spend the first four rounds on the sidelines.

But a tough month-long stint under Titans' fitness guru Billy Johnstone has him busting at the seams to get back on the paddock.

"In the lead-up to the first trial game, by that stage of the pre-season you're sick of training and you just want to start playing," said Petersen.

"To start all over again and be forced to have two weeks off after the operation, it's just good to be back playing footy."

Petersen beat Brenton Bowen to the vacant wing spot, although coach John Cartwright also named Bowen on an extended six-man bench.

Petersen said he expected to make his return from injury with Tweed Heads in the Queensland Cup but received a major confidence boost when informed of his inclusion in the Titans side yesterday.

He said there were no doubts about his hip holding up against the Eels -- a club he played more than 50 games for between 2002 and 2006.

"It's feeling great," he said of the injury. "Nothing I could have done this week could have been as hard as what Billy put me through last Friday.

"It's six weeks tomorrow since I had the operation and the doc said it would be six to eight weeks, so I'm pretty happy about that."

Petersen's return has further significance with the prolific try scorer off-contract at seasons' end and playing for his future.

"I had a big year last year and I'm looking to have another good year. I've got a young bloke (son Harley) and my family and I are happy here and I would like to play out my career here."

Backrower Daniel Conn is on the club's extended six-man bench despite suffering cuts to his face after being punched by Raiders prop Michael Weyman last Saturday night.

Hoppy2007Dragons
10-04-08, 12:19 PM
man carty always names 1 or 2 extra players
bowen is just in the team incase peterson fail's fitness test...

if that was the case u would have bowne as 18th or 19th man and travel with the team, naming him at 14 is basically saying your on the bench and playing, i know most peopel don't think the numbers count, but 14th man should play unless withdraws due to injury. Coaching styles obv differ, but i wouldn't give a player the number 14 jersey and then go aww sorry mate, number 19 is playing ur dropped, in rl a number on ur back is more than just a number on ur back.

So i really think bowen will paly, i do liek the idea of presto at 9 and bowen at 1 but i also think bowen at 3 or 4 and odwyer at 11,12,13 would work.

Timmy Titans
10-04-08, 01:23 PM
Unfortunatley i'm going away camping today so i'll be listening to it on the radio :nope:

dee13
10-04-08, 03:48 PM
So i really think bowen will paly, i do liek the idea of presto at 9 and bowen at 1 but i also think bowen at 3 or 4 and odwyer at 11,12,13 would work.

Bowen didn't play for Tweed last weekend. He was sitting in the crowd and left at half time. Maybe preparing for this weekend.

Blunt_Beno
10-04-08, 05:42 PM
Bowen didn't play for Tweed last weekend. He was sitting in the crowd and left at half time. Maybe preparing for this weekend.

I'm just curious with Bowen named at 17, he will be playing at this stage, i'm thinking that at some stage o'dwyer will move to the pack and bowen will go to centre, because i don't think bowen would fit into the pack or hooker very well.

Anyone have any thoughts????

yeah id like to see bowen moved to the wing, jeffries to fullback and preston to hooker. but in saying that, presto is doing a great job at the back, and friend is in the top 3 hookers in the game so far this year i reckon, so maybe move odwyer to the bench as a utility push jeffries in to the centres and bowen on the wing.

for this game id say bowen is only named as a safety messure incase peterson cant play.if peterson is fully fit id say cooper or someone else will take bowens spot on the bench.

patskE
10-04-08, 06:05 PM
artcile on foxsports i think, hindmarsh sounding a bit ****y due to no bull, saying how much he means to us n stuff
let prove em wrong lads! PETERSON FOR A DOUBLE

~lee~
10-04-08, 08:11 PM
I've been disappointed with Parra so far this season, however they are surely due a good performance and i think friday could be the night. Titans will enter it with all the confidence in the world, they are looking a pretty strong outfit this season and it wouldnt surprise me if they win.... for this week though i just hope they dont! :)

eelectrica
10-04-08, 08:43 PM
I hear that Lee. Definate mixed feelings this Friday night.
But I've got $5 dollars on Parra with some work mates who are taking the Titans (Yeah we're high stakes gamblers;) ) So that will make it easier to cheer for Parra.

Anyway I think the bounce back factor will play into the Eels favour.

Talk about fire and ice on Saturday night though. From the euphoria of a big Titans win, then catching the 2nd half of Parra's soulless performance against the Cowboys.

Supergoose
10-04-08, 09:43 PM
Just a thought on the numbering - could it have something to do with the sizes of the jerseys? Maybe they have 14 in smaller sizes than 18/19. I remember one of the Manly forward (might have been Cuthbertson or George Rose) was always wearing 19 or 21 because that was the only jersey big enough for him. So the numbering may not be as much of an indicator as some have suggested.

GCT_07
10-04-08, 11:46 PM
I ve been takin my Titans Towel with my Titans Drink bottle to the gym to rub it into my Trainer because she s a parra fan..........

Its sit up s and push ups for her if we win......... for me if we dont....

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

GO THE TITANS..... :helpme: :helpme: :helpme:

DIEHARD
11-04-08, 06:06 AM
Prince primed for king-size performance

GOLD Coast skipper Scott Prince has challenged himself to lead from the front in the absence of inspirational co-captain Luke Bailey as the Titans seek to silence their away demons at Parramatta tonight.

The Titans head into battle with the Eels minus pack leader Bailey, who broke his arm last week against Canberra, and with their horror record on the road still hanging over their heads.

But Prince said he was confident and looking to build on the momentum gained by the past two tough victories at Skilled Park over the Sharks and Canberra.

"I am quietly confident," said Prince. "The confidence is quite high in the team and with Bails being out it is a big loss. But we are looking at it as a big challenge not only for our forward pack but for myself to stand up and lead by example as well. The team is looking forward to it."

Questions still remain surrounding the Gold Coast's ability to win outside of city limits after falling to the struggling St George Illawarra Dragons in Wollongong in round two.

After winning just two games outside of Queensland last season, the Titans know they must turn it around this year to feature as a finals force.

The Eels are coming off a 38-14 loss to the Cowboys and are determined to make up for their disappointing performance in North Queensland.

"We have had a couple of good victories but they are coming off a loss so it is going to be tough to play there," said Prince.

"I expect the whole team to come out and play well.

"They were disappointing last week and they will probably tell you that themselves."

Former Eel Luke O'Dwyer warned to expect a strong showing from under-siege halfback Tim Smith after the Runaway Bay junior copped a battering of criticism during the week, most notably from league immortal and NSW selector Bob Fulton.

"I speak to Timmy a fair bit," said O'Dwyer.

"He has got a bit of pressure on him but I am sure he can rise above it and put his best on the field.

"We have just got to be careful that we shut him down and his best isn't on Friday night.

"In 2006 he was rookie of the year, so he has definitely got the potential and I don't think he has lost it overnight."

Titans interchange outside back Brenton Bowen has pulled up short with a hamstring strain.

Coach John Cartwright will take a five-man bench down to Parramatta, with prop Michael Hodgson to undergo a last minute fitness test on his injured foot.

DIEHARD
11-04-08, 08:49 AM
Titans plan to hammer Parramatta halfback Tim Smith

THE Titans plan to focus on the fragile mental state of maligned Eels halfback Tim Smith in Sydney tonight as they search for their first away win in 299 days.

While the blowtorch is on the in-form Gold Coast to improve its dreadful road record, the visitors are looking to turn the screws on Parramatta.

Former Eels enforcer Aaron Cannings, who will suit up against his old club for the first time at Parramatta Stadium tonight has been given the brief of hassling Smith out of the contest.

He will join the likes of Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello in attempting to exploit Smith's lack of form and confidence.

"It's no secret every team targets key men and he's (Smith) one of them," Laffranchi said last night.

"We need to limit his options and limit the time he's got with the ball. Our line speed and kick pressure must be there, and our work on the edges, so we cut down his options.

"The more pressure we can put on their halves the better."

Smith, who will team up with pivot Brett Finch, has been publicly mauled this week with Eels club legend Brett Kenny and former Test coach Bob Fulton among those calling for his axing after two mediocre efforts since his round 3 return.

However while his form has been scratchy, the Gold Coast is on guard.

"Players who come under heavy scrutiny usually come out and have a blinder," Laffranchi said. "We're aware of that."

Titans coach John Cartwright said: "He is still finding his feet a bit, but he is only young.

"He has been at the top level for a few years now and guys take different amounts of time to develop.

"I think we'll see him play a fair bit better back on his home ground."

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has shown patience with Smith amid a sea of public criticism.

"I think we're looking for more from everybody and Tim is one of those players," Hagan said. "But I think we've got to give him some time getting back into the routine of playing NRL.

"His kicking game was certainly better last week than it was (the week before) and that's a big part of the game so hopefully that will improve again. You've got to be fair to some people."

Back-rower Nathan Hindmarsh said Smith had the full support of his teammates.

He tipped a much-improved showing against the Titans.

"Sure he's not on fire, but who is in this team?" Hindmarsh said.

"Like all of us we're still trying to find our best form."

Titans Rock
11-04-08, 10:14 AM
I ve been takin my Titans Towel with my Titans Drink bottle to the gym to rub it into my Trainer because she s a parra fan..........

I have a titans towel too :D got it from Sydney but i always take it to the beach here in Adelaide and show off the Titans colours :D

whats annoying is the game is on TV at like 12 tonite :(

DIEHARD
11-04-08, 10:45 AM
I notice only ONE of 18 tippers on LeagueHQ.com.au/Sydney Morning Herald tipped the Titans!

Tamwelg
11-04-08, 10:48 AM
I notice only ONE of 18 tippers on LeagueHQ.com.au/Sydney Morning Herald tipped the Titans!

3 out of 5 tipped Titans on the Footy show.

DIEHARD
11-04-08, 10:52 AM

Nice.

Well it proves that the SMH is bias. :D

Blunt_Beno
11-04-08, 10:54 AM
i reckon the will win, they may not have bailey, but im sure whoever is put in his spot will do the job, and there all gunna be out to get an away win and the monkey off there backs. will be a close one i think, presto to break his drought in this one :D

lonegull
11-04-08, 10:58 AM

and fatty was pretty confident in the titans

Titans Rock
11-04-08, 12:07 PM
thats awesome :)

Steve
11-04-08, 12:29 PM
Jennifer Hawkins tipped the eels, and she's leading the Big League tipping!

Still, it's gonna be tough, but I've no doubt we can win.
Looking at the stats our attack is pretty even, but we have it over them in defence. We're averaging about 4 points more a game in attack, but nearly half the points conceded. Our goal kicking too has been much better, and it could make the difference in a close game.

Blunt_Beno
11-04-08, 01:09 PM

Still, it's gonna be tough, but I've no doubt we can win.
Looking at the stats our attack is pretty even, but we have it over them in defence. We're averaging about 4 points more a game in attack, but nearly half the points conceded. Our goal kicking too has been much better, and it could make the difference in a close game.

this is true, every goal missed is a chance given to the other team. lucky we have princey, jeffrey, rogers, presto, bowen and delaney all who are above 70% kickers.

bigjim
11-04-08, 02:45 PM
Bailey out with a broken wrist.
Kids today don't know what hardship is. God in my day we often played with broken arms, legs and the occasional kneck.;)

Really pleasing to see Petersen back on the wing and raring for a big game.
Jordan Atkins is a great natural talent, but I feel safer with a bit of experience on the wing for this big game.

I've tipped with my heart this week, and gone for the Titans.:thumbsup:

TitansFan
11-04-08, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Steve;220722]Jennifer Hawkins tipped the eels, and she's leading the Big League tipping!

:laugh: Well Jennifer Hawkins looks like a rugby league expert to me:laugh: Seriously though, I'd be happy to show her a few tackling techniques... maybe the grapple tackle?;)

Boofhead
11-04-08, 02:57 PM
Bailey out with a broken wrist.

I sourced that the wrist isnt even broken, he has a sprained arm.

Hopefully he will be right for Broncos game.

Looking forward to tonight, with 3-1 odd's - its worth taking a punt for 1-13 to the Titans. We have the potential to cause the Eel's some havoc, but our back three will need to lift for the occasion like they did last week.

Titans by 4.

Boofhead
11-04-08, 02:58 PM

:laugh: Well Jennifer Hawkins looks like a rugby league expert to me:laugh: Seriously though, I'd be happy to show her a few tackling techniques... maybe the grapple tackle?;)

I'de give her a couple of chicken wings while performing the grapple. :p

TitansFan
11-04-08, 04:40 PM
I sourced that the wrist isnt even broken, he has a sprained arm.

Hopefully he will be right for Broncos game.

I really hope thats true! We're so much stronger with him in the team. I'm not sure what your source is, I know initially they thought it was just bruised ligaments, then earlier this week he had an x-ray which showed a small break, and at least 4 weeks out. I've got my fingers crossed that you're right though.
And :laugh: @ "chicken wings"

Ryan
11-04-08, 06:23 PM
I'de give her a couple of chicken wings while performing the grapple. :p
It's Jennifer Hawkins we're talking about and the best you can think of is putting her in a headlock and pulling an arm back? :nope:
I'd be starting with the basics like slamming her on her back ;)

Anyway, TAB are giving $10 for Titans +13, I put a red one on.

Paul
11-04-08, 07:56 PM
Nice 40/20 by Princey

Paul
11-04-08, 07:57 PM
sideshow bob is in !!!!!!!!

Paul
11-04-08, 08:06 PM
Cannings scores

10-0

The boys are playing AWESOME so far

keep it up

Paul
11-04-08, 08:18 PM
Friendy the legend is in

16-6 Titans:)

kwigibo
11-04-08, 08:24 PM
For the first time this year a touch judge is taken at his word, and whaddayaknow, he's an idiot.

eelectrica
11-04-08, 08:25 PM
That's got to be justg about the best half of football the Titans have played all year.
Apart from some early penalties, a very controlled and clinical performance thus far. My eels look gorne.

Paul
11-04-08, 08:25 PM
He just wanted to get his face on tele :p

Hayne was never going to get anywhere near the ball

16-8 HT

Ryan
11-04-08, 08:26 PM
Titans have gotta get rid of the penaltie's, Looking good otherwise though. Hopefully Parra have a 2nd half flop like usual.

~lee~
11-04-08, 08:28 PM
Yesssssss!!!! 2 points for Mr Burt!!! :helpme:

kwigibo
11-04-08, 08:47 PM
And they say the titans get special home team treatment from the officials

Paul
11-04-08, 08:50 PM
Bignose has given 9 penalties to 2 so far

Princey is in

great run by Delaney

we're up against 13 players + the ref and still flogging them :D

Paul
11-04-08, 08:58 PM
Sterlo is a fool

kwigibo
11-04-08, 08:59 PM
What game is he watching?

Paul
11-04-08, 09:03 PM
What game is he watching?

He's deffo watching with his Eels rose tinted glasses tonight

Oh look, yet another parra penalty. The ref is certainly trying to get them back into it

11-2 at the moment:mad: :mad: :mad:

Paul
11-04-08, 09:05 PM
FFS Finch is in :(

kwigibo
11-04-08, 09:06 PM
If you spot a team 90 metres on each set and they're still down by two what does that say?

kwigibo
11-04-08, 09:10 PM
How was that any less dangerous than the one delaney was done for?

kwigibo
11-04-08, 09:12 PM
The one penalty the titans get is soft as too

Paul
11-04-08, 09:12 PM
HOLY **** we got a penalty in the 74th minute

about time

Paul
11-04-08, 09:15 PM
Josh Graham is in

nighty night Parra and the ref

WE ARE TOP OF THE TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go TITANS

kwigibo
11-04-08, 09:20 PM
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Paul
11-04-08, 09:24 PM
It got a bit heart stopping there about 15 mins from the end

Prince and Friend once again were our best

I can't believe at the start of round 5 we are top of the table.The boys are doing us so proud

kwigibo
11-04-08, 09:28 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~lee~
11-04-08, 09:32 PM
Oh well, if we had to give up 2 points im glad they went to the Titans.

amaline
11-04-08, 09:32 PM
Great game by the Titans. Hope Rogers doesn't get in any trouble over that tackle though. We'll need him against the Broncos next week.

Boofhead
11-04-08, 09:37 PM
YOU BEAUTY!

So impressed with everyones effort tonight, we stuck in there for the whole 80 minutes even with that massive penalty count against us.

Go the Blue, White and Yellow!

TITAN PETE
11-04-08, 09:38 PM
Sensational win & easily our best ever road win ;)

Friend OUTSTANDING 50+ tackles , The Prince Brilliant & a big rap to Boof,Chalky & Delaney :salute:

Our bench was brillant with Cannings & Conn a Standout :D

It was nice to see our southern Legion there looking very happy :wave:, well done Silvie & Co :D

Penaltys 11-3 Parra

eelectrica
11-04-08, 09:39 PM
Great performance by the Titans.
To win against that kind of penalty count on the road. Probably the Titans best performance of the year.

Parra Petty
11-04-08, 09:39 PM
Frustration!!!

Frustration at Tim Smiths attacing options, and the 11-3 penalty count against the Titans. I hope my allaginaces aren't changing!!

Congratulations to all Titans supporters - you were simply too fit and too strong tonight, and thoroughly deserve your spot at the top of the competition table!

For my boys - jeez we have some work to do!!

The only consolation is that we always start the season slowly, and finish strong, ususally dipping out in the second last week though!!

Anyway, here's my match report of anyone missed the match -

http://www.league.net.au/titans-leave-eels-squirming/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

GCT_89
11-04-08, 09:40 PM
YOU BLOODY RIPPAAA!!!!!

first of many away wins......

was a real nail-biter this one.......glad to see the better team come up with the competition points.......

Boofhead
11-04-08, 09:44 PM
It was nice to see our southern Legion there looking very happy :wave:, well done Silvie & Co :D

/cheer

Good work southern legion, made alot of appearances! Have a good night and party hard! :D

karnage
11-04-08, 09:44 PM
I thought we were gone when Jeffrey dropped it coming out of trouble but the effort by Minichello to get across and bundle Grothe into touch was indicative of the awesome effort all of the boys displayed.

I was fair dinkum sh&!*ing bricks when Graham's try went upstairs and I had myself convinced that he would not award it. Fantastic pressure kick by Princey to seal it.

One of the best wins in our history.

Hoppy2007Dragons
11-04-08, 09:45 PM
It got a little worrying there near the end, i would like to make special mention of laffranchi and harrison, both were rock solid tonight in attack and defence, obv the backrow including minichello have made the pact to really step up in bulls absence and it def showed tonight, i think laffranchi made just under 150m and 28 tackles and harrison made 110 and 29 tackles, minichello had a quietier game 65 metres and 21 tackles, but all three really helped set a good platform.

At this stage the best backline in the nrl hands down, i think the away hoodoo may have been shaken.

Paul
11-04-08, 09:47 PM
Oh well, if we had to give up 2 points im glad they went to the Titans.

was it live in England mate?

Boofhead
11-04-08, 09:48 PM
Titans finally learn road rules

By Steve Jancetic
April 11, 2008

http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5982879,00.jpg

GOLD Coast skipper Scott Prince put an end to the Titans' road demons as he engineered a thrilling 28-20 win over a lacklustre Parramatta outfit.

Prince did it all as the Titans won away from home for just the third time in the club's short existence, but it was a victory they were made to work hard for.

Interchange utility Josh Graham made sure of the win just five minutes from fulltime, but his try had a touch of controversy to it.

It ended a spirited Parramatta fightback, the Eels now with just two wins from their first five games and well short of the sort of form which had them touted as premiership challengers.

With all eyes on under pressure Parramatta playmaker Tim Smith as he continued his comeback to the top grade, Prince put on a master class on how to play in the No.7 jumper.

The former Test half teased and tormented the Eels all night in both defence and attack, his kicking game forcing the home side to continually rake the ball back out their own line.

His influence was never more telling than just after the break when, with the Titans clinging to a 16-8 lead and the Eels enjoying repeat sets on the visitors line, Prince cleaned up a dangerous Smith grubber with a slips-like grab.

A Brett Delaney break took the Titans downfield from where Prince took over again as he dummied twice and stepped through to extend the lead to beyond two converted tries.

But it was an advantage they needed every point of as the Eels stormed back into the game, the ball turning into a hot potato as it was spread from one side of the field to the other at which point Joel Reddy took advantage of an two-man overlap to score out wide.

When Brett Finch grubbered for himself to score the lead was down to just two before Graham ensured the two competition points with his late effort.

Prince was instrumental in getting the Titans ahead at the halftime break, a miraculous 40-20 which hugged the sideline swinging the momentum which had favoured the home side in the early exchanges.

Finally in good field position, Prince threw a cut-out ball for Matt Petersen to score against his former club before another ex-Eel, Aaron Cannings, crashed over next to the posts for a 10-0 after 24 minutes.

The try looked like it had come at a cost with Cannings making his way to the sidelines after dislocating his shoulder only to pop it back into place and re-enter the fray immediately.

The crowd took great delight as Petersen undid much of his earlier good work as he fumbled the kick-off over the dead ball line, the Eels getting back into the contest as a result with Smith putting Nathan Hindmarsh over.

It wasn't all good news for the visitors with five-eighth Mat Rogers put on report for a lifting tackle on Luke Burt in the 32nd minute.

AAP

Paul
11-04-08, 09:49 PM
My sister is a HUGE Parra fan. I've sent her about 20 txt's so far reminding her what the score was :D

Paul
11-04-08, 10:12 PM
The best thing is we are top of the table BUT the next 2 games are at home. We can beat the broncos next friday and the following sunday we'll smash the warriors,they dont btravel well

12 from 14 points sounds like a real possibility

C-Whiz
11-04-08, 10:17 PM
Great game, some of the worst refereeing. A real nail-biter that probably should have been put to bed a little earlier.

The whole team was fantastic, and in the face of ridiculously one-sided and farcial penalties, they kept their composure and kept hitting it up. Defence was outstanding and a pleasure to watch.

Friendy was superb! A greater individual effort from any player, any club I cannot recall!

Boofhead
11-04-08, 10:22 PM
The penalty against Conn for sloppy play of the ball was a disgrace, if Eels scored off that, who knows what might of happened to the final result.

kwigibo
11-04-08, 10:28 PM
The penalty against Conn for sloppy play of the ball was a disgrace, if Eels scored off that, who knows what might of happened to the final result.

The fact is they scored after the penalty against Preston for who knows what.

amaline
11-04-08, 10:53 PM
There were a couple of dodgy calls against us, but I think it makes the result better for us. Beating Parra away from home, with that penalty count...:clap: well done

~lee~
11-04-08, 11:32 PM
was it live in England mate?

I had a look on setanta channel and they're showing the storm v manly match later in the day. Everytime i check setanta it never seems to be showing a game live, its always delayed. I was following it on the nrl.com website had the radio on for a bit of the first half but it crashed on me for the 2nd half.

Titanium_BD1103
12-04-08, 12:05 AM
Great game by the boys... and it was made even sweeter being the rare Titans fan in a sea of Parra supporters, including most of my mates... :D

I have to say, they manned up really well tonight in defense and Scotty was electric in attack... which great support from a very tough group of forwards who never gave up.

I reckon though as others have said the game was filled with bad reffing decisions... the Titans should have scored early in the game and were disallowed, where as even with my one eye Titanic fan hat on I have to say the last try was a double movement, the elbow touched the ground.

In saying all this though, the better side won and well done to the Boys for such an awesome effort away from home.. let's hope it's the start of many more away wins to come... :banana: :clap: :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
12-04-08, 06:19 AM
Great game by the boys... and it was made even sweeter being the rare Titans fan in a sea of Parra supporters, including most of my mates... :D

Well done to the Southern Legion for cheering the boys home! :salute:

You made the TV a few times. Was great to see Sylvies (?) banner taking up the whole screen on a couple of shots. :thumbsup:

Titanium_BD1103
12-04-08, 08:35 AM
Well done to the Southern Legion for cheering the boys home! :salute:

You made the TV a few times. Was great to see Sylvies (?) banner taking up the whole screen on a couple of shots. :thumbsup:

LMAO I wish I had made TV last night... I wasn't with the Southern Legion last night... the offer of sitting in corporate seats was too good to refuse...:?)

But yeah I saw the Legion when I watched the game on replay this morning on quite a few occasions.. and the Enter the Titans Banner got some good running... so well done to everyone in the Legion for putting the club on the map in Sydney as they always do.... :)

Massive_Weno
12-04-08, 08:50 AM
Really great performance by the boys and great to see us go top. Friend and Laffranchi were brilliant....as usual!

Delaney/ Peterson combo looks a lot better defensively which is a plus. Jefferey really stepped it up last night and i thought he made some really good plays, especially in defence and for mine was a bit of an unsung hero. Presto just seems to be going from strength to strength in the fullback position.

One thing that we need to work on BIGTIME however is our kicking game. Way too many of rogers kicks and a few of princeys went dead in goal. So on top of penalties we gifted em 20m way too often.

But at the end of the day the boys did a great job and should hold their heads high!

C-Whiz
12-04-08, 09:53 AM
Jefferey really stepped it up last night
Yep, sure did.

One thing that we need to work on BIGTIME however is our kicking game. Way too many of rogers kicks and a few of princeys went dead in goal. So on top of penalties we gifted em 20m way too often.

I know! Most of them only dribbled over by a coupla feet, but like you say, about 5 or 6 kicks each and we've given them 200+ uncontested metres in the game! To put it into perspective, that's about the same as having 2 extra forwards doing hit-ups all night.

Don't get me started on that first conversion attempt! :doh:

bigjim
12-04-08, 12:12 PM
Great win, but score should have been better. A few questionable penalties, small occasional concentration lapses and a whole lot of team effort.

With all due respect to the Eels, Titans were by far the better and seemed well in control, but that was a game they could have easily lost in the last ten minutes.

They have to learn to close teams down in the last quarter or they will loose against the likes of Broncos and Storm

All the same, a great game and proud to be a Titan fan. They will certainly now get the respect the deserve away from home.:salute:

bigjim
12-04-08, 12:15 PM
Titans are one of the most disciplined teams in the league yet we got the lion share of the penalties. Got to question that situation.

kwigibo
12-04-08, 12:34 PM
where as even with my one eye Titanic fan hat on I have to say the last try was a double movement, the elbow touched the ground.

:

Where was he supposed to put the ball for it not to be a double movement? If that's a double movement I'll eat my hat, he didn't move the position of the ball relative to his body, the defense carried him over the line. If the rule worked that way, the defense would drag anyone that close over the line to get a cheap penalty. The height of absurdity calling that a double movement, if they'd used the video ref more they might have got a couple of other decisions right.

patskE
12-04-08, 02:11 PM
wat a game
friend ur are a marchine
seriosuly sign this kid up now b4 other clubs get him!
prince is jsut a legend!
only fault i can find is the penatlys n our defense when parra's play's broke down, ie finch try n reddy try, we look to give up.

wat u rkn next week? fresh blood? Lewis? or campbell to 5/8 with bowen in?
that is if rogers is banned for a week for that tackle

his arm did hit the ground, but the ball would of foound itself over the line due to the movement in the tackle, it was just a case when commen sense came through, yes he did make a 2nd effort, but he was going slide over anyway, look at how far from the line he put it down

BringBackWillie
12-04-08, 02:24 PM
We were extremely impressed by their defensive effort tonight (especially with the ridiculously unfavourable penalty count against us). Even without Bull they are going to be a great force this season!

It was certainly a great game and even better with a decent number of the Southern Legion together.

Titanium_BD: didn't even know you were heading the game. It'd be great to have you finally join us sometime this season!

Titanium_BD1103
12-04-08, 02:37 PM
We were extremely impressed by their defensive effort tonight (especially with the ridiculously unfavourable penalty count against us). Even without Bull they are going to be a great force this season!

It was certainly a great game and even better with a decent number of the Southern Legion together.

Titanium_BD: didn't even know you were heading the game. It'd be great to have you finally join us sometime this season!

LMAO Syl, neither did I, hence I didn't say anything here about going, but yeah don't worry, I have already made sure that I have nothing around the Tigers game... as long as work doesn't decided to hold another meeting interstate, I'll be there... :D

kwigibo
12-04-08, 03:30 PM
Hindmarsh with a bit of a backhanded insult. Titans aren't a top team and are quantifiably 32 points worse than the Roosters in his opinion.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23526754-23214,00.html

The clearly dejected second-rower predicted that Sydney Roosters "would have put 40 on us" before admitting coach Michael Hagan would be forced to wield the axe if the Eels slumped to another loss.

"I think we were better than last week but not good enough to win games. We are a long way from beating the top teams.

"If we had come up against a team like the Roosters they would have put 40 on us. I might be marking us a bit hard but we certainly aren't playing good football."

and Hagan is dreaming

Hagan was critical of video referee Chris Ward for awarding Titans' centre Josh Graham the try that sealed the match.

"I was looking at the second movement of the arm," Hagan said.

"It was one of those calls that went against us. I think there was enough to suggest it may have been (a double movement)."

Paul
12-04-08, 04:07 PM
The ref was awful and was clearly against us all night but over the course of the season it usually evens out. Last week we got away with a few forward passes (one from which we scored from) If anything, winning against that refs bias last night is a testament to how well we played and should show us how important our roles as fans are because every single ref in the NRL usually shows a bias to the home tems regarding penalties, especially offside rulings

Hagan is dreaming.How could that try NOT be awarded,the momentum of the tackle took him a metre over the line.

I like Nathan Hindmarsh but those comments are just bitterness and sooking like a little brat. I lost a bit of respect for him now.

I don't care how much Parra sook over us tbh,they can't take our two well earned points away so complain all you want :D

eelectrica
12-04-08, 07:33 PM
I like Nathan Hindmarsh but those comments are just bitterness and sooking like a little brat. I lost a bit of respect for him now.

I don't care how much Parra sook over us tbh,they can't take our two well earned points away so complain all you want :D

Last time I checked the Titans were sitting in 1st place so can't get much more top than that.
The scoreboard flattered parra, no doubt. As an eels supporter very frustrating to watch.

Titans Rock
14-04-08, 01:53 AM
nearly threw it away but it just goes to show how mentally tough the Titans are to hold on and win the match. Great win on the road against a quality opponent

Big J
14-04-08, 09:38 AM
Nothing sweeter than beating the eels...

Anyone know when there is a replay on Fox? I was at a wedding with no tv's to be seen. And by the time the replay came on at 1am I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me to watch. Gotta love weddings............

bigjim
14-04-08, 11:01 AM
Where was he supposed to put the ball for it not to be a double movement? If that's a double movement I'll eat my hat, he didn't move the position of the ball relative to his body, the defense carried him over the line. If the rule worked that way, the defense would drag anyone that close over the line to get a cheap penalty. The height of absurdity calling that a double movement, if they'd used the video ref more they might have got a couple of other decisions right.

I agree. You hear commentators going on about double movement. Your absolutely right. Half his body was over the line, what was he supposed to do with ball, leave it behind.

Yes he did lift the elbow and place it back down, but he did not promote the ball with that lifting. His momentum carried him over the line. Fair try, couldn't be anything else nomatter how one-eyed you might be.

C-Whiz
14-04-08, 06:03 PM
I agree. You hear commentators going on about double movement. Your absolutely right. Half his body was over the line, what was he supposed to do with ball, leave it behind.

Yes he did lift the elbow and place it back down, but he did not promote the ball with that lifting. His momentum carried him over the line. Fair try, couldn't be anything else nomatter how one-eyed you might be.

I've said it before, ALL video ref replays should be played in normal speed and a decision made based on what REALLY happened, not at slow motion where it gives a distorted time frame of events. If they can't make a decision based on real-time replays, BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT!

Titans Rock
15-04-08, 12:18 AM
i think the replay was today

Country_Titan
30-06-08, 09:32 PM
i was on the try line that peterson went over for the 1st try.. it was awsum.
i was a lone titan fan....

it was a good game and so was the beers in parra with my jersy on hahahaha...