PDA

View Full Version : SOO 2008: Game One: New South Wales vs Queensland

Queenslander
26-02-08, 08:26 PM
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx15914.jpg
State of Origin 2008: Game One

New South Wales Blues vs Queensland Maroons
ANZ Stadium; Wednesday 21st May, 8:00pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/NSW_Blues.PNGvshttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/66/Queensland_Maroons.jpg/155px-Queensland_Maroons.jpg

Referee:

Team Notes:

Blues

Maroons

Teams:
http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/new-south-wales.jpg
1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Greg Bird
7. Peter Wallace
8. Brett White
9. Danny Buderus
10. Ben Cross
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Willie Mason
13. Paul Gallen

14. Anthony Laffranchi
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Craig Fitzgibbon
17. Ben Hornby

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/queensland.jpg

Titanium_BD1103
13-05-08, 10:30 AM
NSW have announced their team for SOO1

Source:www.smh.com.au

Wallace halfback in NSW Origin shock
May 13, 2008 - 10:19AM

Brisbane youngster Peter Wallace has secured the contentious halfback berth in the NSW team to play Queensland in game one of the rugby league State of Origin series at ANZ Stadium on May 21.

Wallace will partner Test five-eighth Greg Bird in the halves after Newcastle's odds-on favourite Kurt Gidley suffered a cheek injury in his team's NRL loss to Melbourne on Monday night.

Melbourne Storm's Anthony Quinn gained the wing spot which had been considered up for grabs while Test prop Brent Kite was the most glaring omission.

NSW: Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Anthony Quinn, Greg Bird, Peter Wallace, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Ben Cross, Ryan Hoffman, Willie Mason, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Hornby.

? 2008 AAP

Hoppy2007Dragons
13-05-08, 11:21 AM
A good NSW Squad there, whilst i'm suprised by Wallaces inclusion i'm very excited about it, hes a good young player and a possible long term halfback, thats what nsw needs atm is a consistnet long term half and wallace maybe the answer.

Obv i'm wrapped to have Cooper, Gasnier and Hornby in the side, just very lucky melbourne are missing a few as well for this weekend so that may work in our favour.

I'm also very happy to see ben Cross and Fitzgibbion earn jerseys this game, both played extremelly well in the city/country match and both are outstandign talents, fitzgibbion will provide good expirence.

Finally very glad that Laffranchi earned a bench spot, i would have had him starting but its good to see him in the side.

ALL in ALL im very excited about the matchup and the squad selected, should be a very good contest.

ps. i'm glad too see Kite dropped as i thin khe is very overratted and didn't do much in the test match.

Tamwelg
13-05-08, 11:25 AM
Not a bad looking team for NSW there, but still not good enough to hold out the Maroons :fight:

Grimmace
13-05-08, 11:38 AM
Interesting, to note there will be only 10 interchanges in this game.

TITAN PETE
13-05-08, 12:03 PM
I don't think there are too many shocks in this side as Wallace was always going to be in the 17 but if anyone watched the weekends matches there is no way Cross should've got a start ahead of Kite but i guess that as expected the coach gets the team He Wants ;)

Boof may be wearing the 14 but i think he'll start the match & bring Mason on after the 1st 20 :)

Steve
13-05-08, 12:15 PM
Great to see Laffranchi in. I thought maybe Mini deserved a spot too, but he might get there yet.

I really hope Wallace does well. We've lacked a good halfback for a while now, whereas Queensland has had more of an issue of which great halfback to pick.

Titanium_BD1103
13-05-08, 01:20 PM
I'm happy with this side... pretty much what I was expecting... :)

Hornby is in there as he can cover a lot of roles, super versatile and has shown some form for the Dragons even during a tough start to the season, so I think it was the right choice.

Well done to Fitzy for keeping at bay a host of players and getting a bench spot and great work by the selectors for taking a gamble on Wallace... if he can show the form he's showing for Brisbane on a big game level, he could be the future for NSW.. :)

jenwood
13-05-08, 02:23 PM
Just looked on Foxsports web site and Qld Team is there. Tate is on the wing with Hunt at no 6. No Prince:nope: Cant believe Tate got picked over Prince-The only game I have seen Tate play this year he didnt do much to impress.!
Not happy Jan:cry: :cry: :cry:

Steelers
13-05-08, 02:23 PM
Queensland team just got named

Billy Slater, Brent Tate, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, Johnathan Thurston, Carl Webb, Cameron Smith (c), Petero Civoniceva, Michael Crocker, Sam Thaiday, Dallas Johnson.
Interchange: PJ Marsh, Ben Hannant, Nate Myles, Jacob Lillyman.

Source: www.foxsports.com.au

I have had no time at all over the past few months to come here and post due to uni committments, but I had to come back for another annual rant at the selectors... How in the world can they CONTINUE to ignore the Titans and the brilliance of Scott Prince?! It makes no sense to see Hunt in the side, let alone at number 6

jenwood
13-05-08, 02:28 PM
I agree Hunt should be there but Tate shouldnt! Hunt at F/B,Slater on the wing and Prince at no 7 with Thurston at 6 would be much better IMO.!

TITAN PETE
13-05-08, 02:32 PM
Being a Blues fan i'm wrapped that Mal has left Prince out of the side & i'm very happy that they have picked Tate & PJ because neither is Origin quality anymore :nope:

Steelers
13-05-08, 02:42 PM
PJ Marsh is only in the side because he is a Bronco... he struggled to get a run during his prime because he played for Parra and New Zealand, but now that he is a Bronco, the selectors love him. Brent Tate? What the hell has he done to deserve selection this year? Seeing NSW's side compared to this one, I am worried that we are going to cop a beating come game one.

craigyd
13-05-08, 02:52 PM
too be honest with you,leaving Prince out is a massive mistake.
And as a Blues supporter im happy too see Hunt at 5/8,i was dreading the thought of Thurston and Princey together.At least as a Titans supporter we have him for Fri night but surely the man deserves a shot and should have been there with no second thoughts by selectors.
I dont think the QLD side is near as potent as it possibly could have been.

Steve
13-05-08, 02:57 PM
Tate?
Hunt at 5/8?

NSW are a good chance after all. :D

TITAN PETE
13-05-08, 03:07 PM
Tate?
Hunt at 5/8?

NSW are a good chance after all. :D

They handicap race horses when they are winning so instead of putting the current no1 player in World they replace him with a Kiwi :laugh: & for good measure they put in Tate , the only player who wears a Spine support because he doesn't have one of his own !!!

goldcoastitans
13-05-08, 03:07 PM
i know WTF ...why Tate make the team!

Steve
13-05-08, 03:13 PM
They handicap race horses when they are winning so instead of putting the current no1 player in World they replace him with a Kiwi :laugh: & for good measure they put in Tate , the only player who wears a Spine support because he doesn't have one of his own !!!

It's only fair, NSW have been handicapped the last few years. Minichiello at fullback in the first two games last year?

Actually, I sometimes suspect the games/picks are rigged to keep it close. ;)

jenwood
13-05-08, 03:15 PM
You may just be right Steve-cos if Qld were to flog the blues in the first two matches there would be a lot of empty seats in Sydney for the 3rd game!

TITAN PETE
13-05-08, 03:17 PM
You may just be right Steve-cos if Qld were to flog the blues in the first two matches there would be a lot of empty seats in Sydney for the 3rd game!

Thats a bit low Jen :( i thought your hubby was the Crazed 1 :surprise:

jenwood
13-05-08, 03:19 PM
After living with him for the last 28 years I guess I have been brainwashed into being a blues hater!

TITAN PETE
13-05-08, 03:20 PM
After living with him for the last 28 years I guess I have been brainwashed into being a blues hater!

If you had murdered him 3 times you would still be out by now :helpme:

jenwood
13-05-08, 03:22 PM
Ha Ha - i like your sense of humour Pete!

kwigibo
13-05-08, 03:56 PM
At least as a Titans supporter we have him for Fri night

I'm really glad Prince will not miss any Titans games, that doesn't make picking Hunt at pivot not pathologically idiotic. They said that they didn't want to pick Prince because he's 'really' a halfback. What is Hunt 'really'? And didn't Cronk play for Australia last year?

Hunt is a FB. All his redeeming qualities as far as rep footy is concerned are entirely fullback specific. If he's not the best fullback available, don't pick him. He's a Queenslander in the loosest sense anyway. How about guys who were born and raised in Queensland, and actually play in the halves every week?

It's too risky to have two 'dominant' players in the halves? Doesn't that just make you twice as dominant? Is it less risky to pick a guy who never plays in the halves? And the couple of times he has, it's been as a halfback. And halfbacks can't play 5/8th, it's a whole other man away from the ruck!!!!

Jaye001
13-05-08, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=kwigibo;223955] How about guys who were born and raised in Queensland,
QUOTE]

Well if thats the case then you better send inglis back down south of the border. It does always look a bit stupid when they show the origin of the player pre game and it says Inglis is from Bowraville Tigers!!!!!!!!

kwigibo
13-05-08, 04:32 PM
QUOTE]

Well if thats the case then you better send inglis back down south of the border. It does always look a bit stupid when they show the origin of the player pre game and it says Inglis is from Bowraville Tigers!!!!!!!!

I knew someone would bring him up, the difference is Inglis isn't keeping better players out of the centres, if he was I'd say the same thing about it.

chop76
13-05-08, 04:35 PM
I'm really excited about Wallace being chosen. Would've preferred Anasta outside him. Bird's a lock. Not being biased, but I think Delaney should've been given a chance. As well as he's playing do you really think Fitzgibbon should be their. Everyone knows he'll go out and make 50 tackles & 20 hit ups but only 20% at most is being creative. He's too predictable and easy to defend against. Mark Minichiello, Chris Heighington, John Sutton, Ben Creagh, Michael Ennis, Luke Lewis, Sonny Bill Williams... oops. There's 6 players who would imo be better suited for NSW.

Jaye001
13-05-08, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Jaye001;223960]

I knew someone would bring him up, the difference is Inglis isn't keeping better players out of the centres, if he was I'd say the same thing about it.

Well then you could have put tate in the centres Prince at half, Thurston to 5/8,Inglis to NSW, Hunt back over the ditch and found someone else to cover the wing position :D ....... nah Just Jokin around, I agree with you 100%

eelectrica
13-05-08, 05:35 PM
Should have been Hunt on the Wing, Prince to 7.

:chair: shot to the QLD selectors.

Darren Lockyer
13-05-08, 06:19 PM
I'm happy with the team selected. Sorry but new south wales supporters who are saying they need a long term young halfback that they havan't had before why wouldn't they of gone with Jarrod Mullen???seeing as he's done it before and all that i thought last year he was supposed to the long term sullution but now it seems to be wallace.

Titanium_BD1103
13-05-08, 07:00 PM
All I have to say after looking at those two teams is THANKS QUEENSLAND.. ;)

I'm not surprised that Prince missed out again but I do reckon he would have been a better choice at 6 than Hunt... Hunt has experience at 6, but I don't think it's ever been anything special, where as Prince played 6 at the Tigers and showed he's as good at 6 as he is at 7.

But I don't just thank the Maroons for that, I thank them for not picking Bowen or Wesser... and for picking a bench full of hard running forwards... the contest has been even out a fair bit by doing that.

This should be a cracker of a series and I have full faith the boys south of the border can dothe job.. GO THE BLUES... :D

P.S. Darren, the reason Mullen wasn't chosen is he hasn't had enough time back in FG.. if he keeps up his form and Gidley is still out in SOO2, then depending on how Wallace goes, the two of them will have a real fight for that number 7 jersey.

daveyk
13-05-08, 07:18 PM
tate??? u have got to be joking, i hope they put a gps on him so he know to run straight not sideways...

as a titans fan, am glad that prince will be available come friday night, but being a QLD supporter, i am thinking about placing a bet for nsw to win.

i always thought that rep footy was about picking the players that are in form.. picking the best possible players...

oh well, off to the TAB for me... lol

Blunt_Beno
13-05-08, 11:21 PM
Queensland team just got named

Source: www.foxsports.com.au

I have had no time at all over the past few months to come here and post due to uni committments, but I had to come back for another annual rant at the selectors... How in the world can they CONTINUE to ignore the Titans and the brilliance of Scott Prince?! It makes no sense to see Hunt in the side, let alone at number 6

i completely agree, its getting beyond a joke. how can they take someone who has been out injured, bring him back and play him out of position in what i believe to be the worlds toughest rugby league series there is. just rediculous. plus what better half back is there in the nrl? thurston is and always has been a better 5/8 so why not play him there.

Dummy Half
13-05-08, 11:37 PM
Look at the QLD back line will you !!!

Slater
Dynamo, his combo with Cameron Smith will cause some headaches

Folau
Will make Quinn look 3 foot tall, show Hayne what a real talented youngster looks like

Inglis & Hodges
Completely engulf any attack from "once were warriors"- Gasnier & Cooper
Not to mention what they create out of nothing

Tate
??? Distract blues players with his collar ??? thats all i can think of.

Hunt & Thurston
Not as strong as Prince/Thurston would be, but are they better than their opposing numbers?
(Wallace & Bird?..... i think so!)

Look at it this way-
How many of the starting side for NSW would make the QLD starting 13
2... maybe 3??
QLD will have to beat themselves to loose,
Because i doubt this NSW side can beat them
-

Capital_Shark
14-05-08, 06:14 PM
Does the phrase "too many cooks spoil the broth" really apply to football sides? I don't think it does. If Prince and Thurston are too dominant to play beside each other in the halves, pick one and put him with a less dominant half, don't pick one and put him with a fullback whose never played NRL level at 5/8.

Prince and Thurston would have been lethal splitting either side of Cameron Smith. The kicking options alone would win the game without factoring in the brilliance of the back line (Tate being the exception).

Seeing Hunt on Fox Sports News last night I think he's even a bit iffy about his selection at 6.

Both sides selected for this game crop up a lot of question marks. I hate to say it but upon reading the teams I was suddenly less pumped about traveling up the highway next Wednesday.

Steve
14-05-08, 06:57 PM
Does the phrase "too many cooks spoil the broth" really apply to football sides? I don't think it does.

I agree.
So often we hear about the danger of a side relying on the one play maker, shut them down, and it's game over. Yet they're telling us this is the best option in origin?

Chaos
14-05-08, 07:04 PM
I've always thought Hunt would make a great 5/8 but give up on the idea a couple of seasons ago...It's good to see him get a go in a position that will suit him down the track but does he have to get his first crack in an Origin game?

This crazy idea that Prince and Thurston can't play together because they are too dominant or too similar is total bullsh!t. I can't believe so many people have jumped on that bandwagon.

Anyway...I think QLD are very strong in the outside backs but don't underestimate the blues backline.

The blues strength is their backrowers but I'm sure Thiaday can sort them out.

Coaster
14-05-08, 07:44 PM
When u like at Pairing like :
Lewis / Langer
Daley / Stuart
Walters / Langer

Or even Thurston / Lockyer

they have always had 2 dominate players, to say they couldnt pick Prince becuase he is dominate, is BS. But hey as a titans supporter i wont complain Friday night.

And lets face it, we could pick 2 turds in the halves, and still score tries against this pathetic weak NSW side.

TITAN PETE
14-05-08, 08:16 PM
When u like at Pairing like :
Lewis / Langer
Daley / Stuart
Walters / Langer

Or even Thurston / Lockyer

they have always had 2 dominate players, to say they couldnt pick Prince becuase he is dominate, is BS. But hey as a titans supporter i wont complain Friday night.

And lets face it, we could pick 2 turds in the halves, and still score tries against this pathetic weak NSW side.

Ya right Coaster you guys will score plenty & win easy just like the Bookies are saying because thats whats expected from the Fav's ;)

jenwood
15-05-08, 09:02 AM
Just heard on SEA fm that they have printed 12,000 signs saying 'PRINCEY FOR ORIGIN' and are giving them away before the game tomorrow night. They want everyone to hold them up every time Scotty gets the ball or is involved in the play. Lots of tv coverage to show the dumb selectors the error of their ways! Great show of support for Scotty- should look amazing! Also THE KING(Wally) was on and giving his support for Prince as well! Good on you Wally-you are a champion!
GO THE MIGHTY MAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS:fight: :fight:

RLfan
15-05-08, 09:51 AM
QUOTE]

Didn't Inglis nominate Norths Devils as his junior team. I thought that was what made him eligible.

TITAN PETE
15-05-08, 10:35 AM
Just heard on SEA fm that they have printed 12,000 signs saying 'PRINCEY FOR ORIGIN' and are giving them away before the game tomorrow night. They want everyone to hold them up every time Scotty gets the ball or is involved in the play. Lots of tv coverage to show the dumb selectors the error of their ways! Great show of support for Scotty- should look amazing! Also THE KING(Wally) was on and giving his support for Prince as well! Good on you Wally-you are a champion!
GO THE MIGHTY MAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS:fight: :fight:

I heard that this morning too & even this BLUE supporter will be holding the sign high for The Prince :fist:

Steve
15-05-08, 10:38 AM
I heard that this morning too & even this BLUE supporter will be holding the sign high for The Prince :fist:

Hell yeah! I mean, I'd hate for him to play against us, but if anyone deserves it, he does. All the more reason for Prince to destroy the dogs and for our boys to destroy the Queenslanders. :D

daveyk
15-05-08, 04:54 PM
Hell yeah! I mean, I'd hate for him to play against us, but if anyone deserves it, he does. All the more reason for Prince to destroy the dogs and for our boys to destroy the Queenslanders. :D

i am sorry steve but i think you musty be feeling a little off if you think that you are going to win @ origin... hahahaha

Steve
15-05-08, 05:42 PM
i am sorry steve but i think you musty be feeling a little off if you think that you are going to win @ origin... hahahaha

It's only the right thing, to show Mal and the selectors they should have picked our Princey. ;)

daveyk
15-05-08, 06:36 PM
It's only the right thing, to show Mal and the selectors they should have picked our Princey. ;)

that is so very true

if only i had time, would make up a banner for tomorrow night

Steve
15-05-08, 07:40 PM
that is so very true

if only i had time, would make up a banner for tomorrow night

We'll have to just chant for prince instead of titans :D

goldcoastitans
16-05-08, 10:12 AM
next week i cannot wait ....its gonna be a thrashing
QLD 56 - 0 NSW

hahahahaha GO THE MAROONS!!!

titanstattman
18-05-08, 01:08 PM

Well my brother u qlders have nuffing and i'll be watching this on the big sceen just so i can see the blues get up abit more.:fight:

QLD 56 - 0 NSW

Wade wade wade i really think u should stop smoking wat ever ur smoking.

GO DA BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Darren Lockyer
18-05-08, 01:34 PM
QLD 56 - 0 NSW

I'm uyp for one of those two lol...but i think new south wales might just get a penalty goal so 56-2 lol

daveyk
18-05-08, 01:50 PM
i really think this game is going to be alot closer than we think - however in saying that it will be a QLD victory by 10

DIEHARD
21-05-08, 05:43 PM
Game 1 NSW v Queensland Preview

ANZ Stadium Wednesday 8.10pm

http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/galleries/Fixture_Cycler_Images/Round_Eleven/SOO1_Blues_V_Maroons_320.jpg

CAN the Blues earn early bragging rights and stop the Maroons from staying alive for their first three-peat series win since 1987-?89?

Will the NSW selectors? wholesale changes from the victorious Game III side last year prove a masterstroke or a fizzer?

Will the six Melbourne stars in the Maroons? outfit be able to read the plays of their club coach Craig Bellamy in NSW?s moves? Conversely, will Bellamy give up his secrets and let the Blues in on the innermost thoughts of the likes of Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Cam Smith, Michael Crocker and Dallas Johnson?

Whatever transpires, Origin I looms as one of the biggest powder-keg games in recent memory.

New coach Bellamy was quick to stamp his presence on the Origin arena, pulling the strings on selections that saw nine changes from the last Blues side of 2007.

Brent Kite and Nathan Hindmarsh have been dumped, making way for debutants Ben Cross and Anthony Laffranchi.

Craig Fitzgibbon has been recalled to the squad after a three-year hiatus, bumping Andrew Ryan off the rep scene.

With effervescent Kurt Gidley unavailable due to a late facial fracture the Broncos? Peter Wallace has been handed the onerous task of marking up against Johnathan Thurston (in place of the incumbent Brett Kimmorley).

Storm flanker Anthony Quinn steps in for Hazem El Masri and Gasnier returns to take the centre spot of Matt King, now in the UK Super League.

Meanwhile the surprise selections for Queensland were Karmichael Hunt at five-eighth in place of injured skipper Darren Lockyer and the recall of PJ Marsh to Origin football after a five-year break.

Israel Folau makes his debut on the wing, while Broncos? prop Ben Hannant laces up on the bench for the first time.

Watch out NSW: Even with Lockyer sidelined, the Queensland backline has been touted as the best to ever wear the maroon jersey.

Individually its components are awesome ? collectively they are beyond compare. Billy Slater has made the most line breaks in the NRL (11), ranks second for tries scored (7) and ranks sixth for tackle breaks (48); Justin Hodges is relentless out of dummy-half (52 runs); Greg Inglis? brilliant juggle and hoick to set up a miraculous try in the Centenary Test emphasised his talent; Israel Folau is unstoppable from close range and will be handed scoring opportunities from cross-field bombs? and then there?s Thurston.

His club side may be struggling defensively but he?s giving them every opportunity in attack. He?ll be licking his lips at playing behind a dominant pack here.

Down the Blues? end of the park it remains to be seen whether Peter Wallace is the answer at no.7.

Origin is 10-20 per cent faster than club footy and he?ll feel rushed and pressured for the full 80 minutes.

Watch out Queensland: He may have missed the 2007 series but Mark Gasnier has quickly shown he remains the Prince of Centres.

The Maroons will need to be wary of his shimmies out of dummy-half, especially close to the line. A fortnight ago against the Eels he made his Origin team-mate Jarryd Hayne look silly with a magnificent step and one-handed offload to a support who scored.

As Hayne commented: ?You have to guess what he?s going to do before he does it.?

Also, Bellamy has obviously gone for a team with a brutal edge: Paul Gallen, Greg Bird, Ben Cross, Brett White and Willie Mason all love the rough stuff, so if they are able to dominate early field position in the ?grunt? stakes, Queensland may find it tough to work back into the game.

Where it will be won: Defence. Only one side has racked up 30 points in the past six Origin games ? Queensland in their 30-6 win in Game II in 2006.

Over the past two series NSW has averaged a lowly 13.1 points per game. If they?re limited to that tally again here, they?ll lose.

Meantime Queensland have averaged 17 points ? and take out their last game and it rises to 19.1. One try the difference is all it takes in Origin; Queensland certainly have a great defensive platform and their backline appears capable of exceeding the 17-point mark with ease.

The History: Played 81 (since 1980); NSW 39, Queensland 40, drawn 2. Queensland has won four of the past five games, although only one of those wins came at ANZ Stadium, where in 12 games since 1999 NSW holds a dominant 12-1 record (with one game drawn).

Conclusion: With Scott Prince playing champagne football each week, the question is whether Karmichael Hunt is the right man for no.6 spot. But don?t think for a moment he?ll play the whole game there ? expect him to drop back to fullback at some stage, with Slater switching to the wing, Folau moving to centre and Inglis shifting outside Thurston. (And they?ll lose nothing!)

A lot has been made of the ?wrestle? that NSW may employ but it should be remembered with so many Storm players in the Maroons? outfit they?ll give as good as they get.

How Tony Archer polices the ruck ? and shuts out the vocal home-town crowd ? could prove vital in the outcome. He doesn?t normally blow many penalties. It?s too tough to call ? but a dominant victory by either side will see them unbackable favourites for the series.

Match officials: Referee ? Tony Archer; Sideline Officials ? Steve Chiddy & Paul Holland; Video ref ? Bill Harrigan & Tim Mander.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Live from 7.30pm.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

eelectrica
21-05-08, 06:42 PM
Just hope we don't regret Princes non-selection...

Ah we'll be fine.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/Eelectrica2k7/queensland-rugby-league-state-of-or.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/Eelectrica2k7/darrenlockyerholdsupthestateoforigi.jpg

QUEENSLANDER!!!

DIEHARD
21-05-08, 07:57 PM
Minutes from kick off...stadium is filling up but there is still a lot of empty seats.

How moving was it to see the team of the NSW century named and then Ray Warren did a call combining them all with Dally Messenger scoring the try. Very moving stuff, makes the hairs stands up on your arms.

Come on Queenslanders spoil their party!

TITAN PETE
21-05-08, 08:06 PM
Minutes from kick off...stadium is filling up but there is still a lot of empty seats.

How moving was it to see the team of the NSW century named and then Ray Warren did a call combining them all with Dally Messenger scoring the try. Very moving stuff, makes the hairs stands up on your arms.

Come on Queenslanders spoil their party!

Good call mate but lets not agree on ANYTHING ELSE tonight :nope:

GO U BLUES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fight:

~lee~
21-05-08, 08:07 PM
I hope its a cracking game with some big hits and brilliant tries. Come on NSW!!

Can i request no scores be put in a title because i have to wait until tomorrow to watch it either bigpond or d/l.

Its always better when you dont know the score.

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:08 PM
I hope its a cracking game with some big hits and brilliant tries. Come on NSW!!

Can i request no scores be put in a title because i have to wait until tomorrow to watch it either bigpond or d/l.

Its always better when you dont know the score.

Log off mate! Might be a good idea.

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:09 PM
Here come the boys! So STOKED! :D :D :D :D :D :D

~lee~
21-05-08, 08:13 PM
Log off mate! Might be a good idea.

lol yeah that would be the sensible thing to do but im hoping i can stick to the none S00 threads and stick around.

Ah well might aswell do a little prediction whilst im here 18-16 to NSW!!

kwigibo
21-05-08, 08:20 PM
Hunt's defense is a real bonus, eh?

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:21 PM
Not quite the start I was expecting. :doh:

I was kind of hoping for a punch-up followed by a Qld 6 pointer......

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:23 PM
Tate should have just gone for it then.

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:27 PM
Playing the slowest, most bunched up game I've seen in a long time. What's the point of having the worlds best backs if you keep turning it back inside with no one running onto it?

kwigibo
21-05-08, 08:30 PM
Brilliant officiating.

kwigibo
21-05-08, 08:34 PM
And Tate is just an inspired choice on the wing, making Anthony Quinn look like a world beater.

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:34 PM
Brilliant officiating.

Friggin' frustrating.........

Here comes the kick.....

Thank %$#^ for that!

Paul
21-05-08, 08:35 PM
Wallace is having a blinder :)

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:35 PM
And Tate is just an inspired choice on the wing, making Anthony Quinn look like a world beater.

Been close to bench player for NRL club game so far.:nope:

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:38 PM
That was a great play! Simple kick and chase, played with urgency! Nice! Better! :thumbsup:

Paul
21-05-08, 08:40 PM
Boof is on for fitzgibbon :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:41 PM
Civo's gone. And we're throwing the ball to NSW or over the line. WTF is going on QLD! :surprise:

Paul
21-05-08, 08:42 PM
LOL slater passes it to the bloke in row Z :D

kwigibo
21-05-08, 08:42 PM
You know, I know of a player who can throw a cut out pass that actually finds its target

Paul
21-05-08, 08:43 PM
You know, I know of a player who can throw a cut out pass that actually finds its target

:), princey must be sitting at home with a smug grin atm

has Hunt done anything in attack yet? Ive seen him tackle Hoffman 3 times and thats it

Paul
21-05-08, 08:50 PM
What a great game this is :)

kwigibo
21-05-08, 08:57 PM
Some redemption, this is why we can never get rid of Tate, he pastes over 70 indifferent minutes with 10 minutes of value.

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 08:59 PM
Finally! thank $%^$ for that!Kick would have been nice.

You know, honestly, Qld is playing like NSW, and NSW is playing like Qld usually do- with heart and passion.

Worst half of Origin I can remember from a Qld perspective. :doh: Last 5 minutes showed promise.

TITAN PETE
21-05-08, 09:03 PM
Playing the slowest, most bunched up game I've seen in a long time. What's the point of having the worlds best backs if you keep turning it back inside with no one running onto it?

It's a sensational backline but without Lockyer they aren't getting the ball & Hunt thinks he's out there to out tackle Johnson :thumbsup:

Boof has come on & played as expected very well :D

Go u BLUES !!!!

eelectrica
21-05-08, 09:05 PM
:), princey must be sitting at home with a smug grin atm

has Hunt done anything in attack yet? Ive seen him tackle Hoffman 3 times and thats it

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. When Slater threw the ball to the unmarked touch judge, I'll I could think of is where is Prince!

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 09:07 PM
Peter Wallace has been a sensation!

I think we are seeing that experience is not everything in origin. Too bad the Qld selectors forgot that. Even Thurston is looking average. Shocking kicking game.

bornagainraver
21-05-08, 09:12 PM
the selectors should have called prince in he would have made the difference... mal should have listened to 22000 ppl at the titans game on friday....

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 09:12 PM
Farkkkkk! Even the batteries in the keyboard just died! LOL.

OK, new batteries in there. Topped up my drink. 40 minutes to go. Big Mal will be telling the boys that we've been here before and come back to win the series! This game is just starting. We'll come out, use our back line and run in about 7 unanswered try's! :thumbsup:

Seriously, it's like Qld had no game plan. Just out there trying dumb stuff. Pass and hope. No one running on, no back-line, nothing!

They'll get it in a pile now and come out firing! Get ready Blues! You're gonna get smashed this half!!!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 09:15 PM
the selectors should have called prince in he would have made the difference... mal should have listened to 22000 ppl at the titans game on friday....

Prince certainly would have helped give us some direction.

OK, here we go...........

kwigibo
21-05-08, 09:17 PM
Seriously, it's like Qld had no game plan. Just out there trying dumb stuff. Pass and hope. No one running on, no back-line, nothing!

Hunt was supposed to be okay because Smith was there to work with Thurston, hasn't Smith's dummy half play suffered for having to be at 1st receiver so often. Having your backrowers at dummy half half the game does not give you good ball.

bornagainraver
21-05-08, 09:21 PM
how bad is thurston playing

bornagainraver
21-05-08, 09:26 PM
how poor has cameron smith been playing

Paul
21-05-08, 09:26 PM
I'm a NSW supporter and obviously pleased with the score at the moment and how we're playing but origin bores me these days.I remember the late 80's/ early 90's and my eyes were glued to the tv screen.These days I'm dozing off at HT

kwigibo
21-05-08, 09:27 PM
I'm a NSW supporter and obviously pleased with the score at the moment and how we're playing but origin bores me these days.I remember the late 80's/ early 90's and my eyes were glued to the tv screen.These days I'm dozing off at HT

It's been a terrible game any way you look at it.

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 09:28 PM
This is more like Qld play! Here we go! :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 09:29 PM
And then we throw it away........ :doh:

Paul
21-05-08, 09:37 PM
Have to give props to Slater. In the 1st half NSW smashed him for 40 mins every time he went near the ball but the 2nd half he's be the only QLD player looking to threaten the blues

bornagainraver
21-05-08, 09:41 PM
how crap r queensland playing ?? no heart, to me it seems like they hit the piss last nite

Paul
21-05-08, 09:45 PM
BOOF SCORES

He's played well tonight

Game over boys

bornagainraver
21-05-08, 09:46 PM
fringen thurstons he has had an absolute shocker dropping the ball, kicking the ball and hitting nsw players he has had his day. Put prince in instead of thurstons

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 09:46 PM
F$%^^%$$###$%%%%%^^#$#%*&*&$#%^*(*^%$^^(*&(*^&%%&

Now I've got to listen to Gus crap on about how Gaz is the best centre in the world, blah, blah, blah.......:doh:

I think Qld missed the class about their game plan for tonight. Don't know if they hit the piss last night, but I'm drowning my sorrows right now. Qld just couldn't put more than 2 plays, or even passes together tonight.

Steve
21-05-08, 09:51 PM
NEW SOUTH WALES! NEW SOUTH WALES! NEW SOUTH WALES!

And how good has Boof been? A try, 36 tackles, a couple offloads, all on debut and coming off the bench.

I say ditch Gasnier, he needs to learn to pass the damn ball. Thank god he did for Laffranchi!

Thurston showing why his team is coming second last!

kwigibo
21-05-08, 09:53 PM
I still take little solace in the knowledge that we were all right and the selectors and Mal Meninga were about as wrong as they could be.

And Tate screws up a certain try.

Will they learn or will we see the same team in 3 weeks. They'd be that stupid.

kwigibo
21-05-08, 09:54 PM
And Johnson is concussed, what a shock.

Paul
21-05-08, 09:57 PM
Wallace MOM for me, what a great debut

and I knew Boofs debut was fantastic but after reading Steves stats its been a friggin unbelievale debut

kwigibo
At the very least CRONK would have kicked to Folau, where is the point putting bombs up for Tate when you have Inglis and Folau on the other side.

C-Whiz
The first game isn't even over and Ray Warren is asking whether NSW can be the first team in the new millenium to go 3 series in a row. Geez they crap on a lot in that little box.

Anyway, yeah, the selectors will say," Tate scored a try and almost scored a second. Better keep him again". :nope:

kwigibo
21-05-08, 09:59 PM
They wait til the last couple of minutes to try that?

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 10:00 PM
And the lsat play, Folou scores in the corner. the slectors say," oh, better keep him on the WRONG wing again." :doh:

Steve
21-05-08, 10:01 PM
The first game isn't even over and Ray Warren is asking whether NSW can be the first team in the new millenium to go 3 series in a row. Geez they crap on a lot in that little box.

Anyway, yeah, the selectors will say," Tate scored a try and almost scored a second. Better keep him again". :nope:

All comes down to if they pick Prince. If they do, I don't think it'll be a whitewash, and game three will be the decider. if they don't pick him, there's a good chance!

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 10:04 PM
Easily the worst Origin performance from a Qld team I can remember. The first half was atrocious. Not particularly inspiring in the second half either. At least I will get anb early night. Nothing to contemplate, nothing to celebrate.

Well done NSW, you fielded a better team and had a game plan. :salute:

C-Whiz
21-05-08, 10:09 PM
LOL. The players are doing a victory lap and the stadium is almost empty! there are more fans at Skilled waiting for the Titans than there are NSW "fans" there for their team.

Anyway, no need for me to stay and get bitter and twisted. I'm off to bed.

1-0 to the Blues. Gives us more to fight for at Lang Park! :eyebrows:

Well done Blues. Bring it on in 3 weeks.

GCT_07
21-05-08, 10:12 PM
Anthony Laffranchi

Way to go Laffranchi..........

Got up holding his shoulder....... fingers crossed he s going to pull up alright.

What a coach... what a team... Way to go Blues

DIEHARD
21-05-08, 10:18 PM
I'm devastated... :fight:

Where was the heart and enthusiasm?!

1. Hunt was a terrible selection. He wasn't doing his job servicing our backs. At best he should be on the bench as a utility.
2. We need Scott Prince in there.... badly.
3. PJ Marsh... a wasted selection. I also think his presence minimised one of our strengths with Cam Smith. We need him doing what he does as a stablising force. We should have had Ashley Harrison as utility.
4. I do think Folau was on the wrong side of the field.
5. We need heart and enthusiasm.

Our forwards need to stand up as well. We were dominated.

Lots of painful mistakes and silly errors and rough calls. But we showed little patience. We really missed Lockyer's experience and calmness.

The Courier Mail tomorrow will be scathing. Queensland will be in open riot if Scott doesn't get selected. It'll be tough on the Titans, but we'll make the sacrifice. We have Rogers back and we have Preston Campbell.

Oh I also think NSW is full of light weight band wagon fans. There must have been a PATHETIC walk up crowd of 1,500 at best!

LONG LIVE QUEENSLAND! BRING ON GAME 2!

Paul
21-05-08, 10:25 PM
[COLOR="DarkRed"]

In the NSW team :)

TITAN PETE
21-05-08, 10:25 PM
I'm wrapped in the result & the way Boof played but i would've given man on the match to Quinn i thought he played brilliant ;)

If QLD pick the same team they will go down 3-0 , they miss Lockyer,Carroll & probably more importantley Price ,the forwards were weak & none more than the most Overrated player in the game in Carl Webb:surprise: he got belted in the 1st set & then went missing he is Shyte :nope:

As a Blues fan keep Hunt at 5/8 & leave Prince home at Robina ;) :D

eelectrica
21-05-08, 10:27 PM
Sickening performance from Queensland.
I've seen some pretty ordinary past performances, but given the talent level, that was easily the worst.
Not even the game they put 50 on us did I feel this disappointed.

Titanium_BD1103
21-05-08, 10:34 PM
Oh I also think NSW is full of light weight band wagon fans. There must have been a PATHETIC walk up crowd of 1,500 at best!

Ah DIEHARD I know you are hurting.. but cmon.. there were 67,000 people there... who cares whether they are regular fans or not.. they are 67,000 people... that's great to see for support of Rugby league in Sydney... :D

All I can say is....

NEW SOUTH WALES, NEW SOUTH WALES, NEW SOUTH WALES :thumbsup: :D :banana:

What an awesome performance by the Blues, tough in defense, smart in attack, well done to Bellamy on a what was a really great game plan and well done to all 17 players in the sky blue for putting it into action and doing the job.

I can't really call any standouts, they were all great tonight... I guess I really liked seeing Bird run and cause havoc, thought Hayne was really strong in defense and really thought Cooper and Gasnier were really great in setting up.

I guess if I had to pick three standouts, they would be Anthony Quinn who showed he deserved his spot by defending his heart out and scoring two awesome tries, Anthony Laffranchi who showed some great footwork and support play, tackled hard and scored a meat pie... and of course Peter Wallace...who was superb at halfback, so cool and calm under pressure and really if he can keep it up, he'll be the NSW halfback for years to come... :)

On the other hand, what can we say about QLD... I don't want to put the boot in, but that was very unqueensland like tonight and there are some major issues.

First off is the selection of Hunt at 5/8th, he's a gun in defense but he's got nothing left in attack... PICK SCOTTY there in game 2, it's the only answer.

That's the easy one though, then we get to the ones that QLD even with changes might not be able to solve at the moment.

I think QLD need to find an answer to getting Billy away from the ball.. it is just too much energy out of him when he gets the ball on the full and gets belted after every set, it was a plan of NSW and they executed it to a tee tonight... but I don't know what the answer is there... because if Billy isn't getting the ball freely, there's heck hope in hell that Folau and Inglis can do anything.

Secondly, and this is the more concerning one... QLD need to find some players who can play 80 mins... Bellamy once again trumped everyone and as I thought, the mobile pack that NSW put on the bench was faster, able to pass the ball better and was fresher for longer than QLD's forwards... and the only way to stop that is to fight fire with fire.... however I don't know how many players there are in QLD in the forwards who play 80 mins for their clubs.

In all honesty, I don't care if QLD get beaten again, I'm a New South Welshman.... but for the sake of the contest, this is where I believe QLD need to look long and hard for Game 2.

In saying this, I expect it to be really tough at Suncorp, backs against the wall, in front of a home crowd... if QLD don't fire up for Game 2, they never will.. but I reckon if NSW stick to the game plan, with some refinements... they'll make it a real contest... :)

I am just happy at the moment to enjoy being a New South Welshman... GO THE BLUES... :D :D

Boonarga
21-05-08, 10:38 PM
Outstanding game from the Mighty Blues!!! How good was Quinn? Ok, most wingers would have scored those tries, but his defense was brilliant.

I hope the QLD selectors do a similar fine job with their team for the next two games. Did Carl Webb play? :D

Chaos
21-05-08, 10:40 PM
I'm devastated... :fight:

1. Hunt was a terrible selection. He wasn't doing his job servicing our backs. At best he should be on the bench as a utility.
2. We need Scott Prince in there.... badly.
3. PJ Marsh... a wasted selection. I also think his presence minimised one of our strengths with Cam Smith. We need him doing what he does as a stablising force. We should have had Ashley Harrison as utility.
4. I do think Folau was on the wrong side of the field.
5. We need heart and enthusiasm.

[COLOR="darkred"]LONG LIVE QUEENSLAND! BRING ON GAME 2!

No doubt we need Prince in the side and I believe we need him to steer the ship at 7.

Thurston had one of the worst games I've seen an Origin half back play.
The QLD side trained all week to go up the middle...Cameron Smith has dominated the ruck for the last 3 years and Thurston spins the ball wide early in the set...He played away from the team which is the reason the forwards looked lost. The passion was there but nobody knew where to direct it.
While I'm giving it to Thurston...if anybody watches the reply again...just watch how many times we get an overlap and Thusrton passes to the guy already marked. He even passes on the inside when we have a 2 man overlap.

Why the hell are we scooting 4 tackles in a row from our own goal line?
NSW read our play that easy they were off side at marker.

I don't know about Folau playing on the wrong side but NSW definitely picked on Tate...if they see him as a week spot, lets correct it.

Steelers
21-05-08, 10:43 PM
I am glad that the commentators were able to see beyond ther defence of Hunt and criticise his lack of anything in attack. I will admit he did defend well, and proved alot of people who thought he couldn't handle defending in the front line wrong, but thats not what he was selected for. There is no point touting and bragging about our amazing backline if we don't have strong playmakers to utilise them. Thurston tried his best, but he needed some help. Steve Price is apparently making his comeback for the Warriors soon... I say rush him back as soon as possible and get him in this QLD team. PJ Marsh? Enough said. Billy Slater made a few errors with some set plays, but he wouldn't have had to make those plays if Hunt was doing his job. Tate was his usual self, a few moments of brilliance mixed with a mediocre performance. Our forwards need to stand up... The NSW forwards were all over us. Peter Wallace and Greg Bird played the house down because our forwards let them. Disappointing loss... but NSW definately deserved the victory :|

Ryan
21-05-08, 10:49 PM
When has anything good ever come from Brent Tate kicking the ball, for f@#*sake! And friggin Billy was running around with a pumpkin on his head!

If Hunt wants to be a hero in Defence, then play him in the second row. We had one playmaker all night who didn't control the game like he was going to, and gee what a combo he had with the 5/8 :rolleyes:
They tried it, it failed - lets move on and pick halves for halves.

The better team won :(

Chaos
21-05-08, 10:50 PM
I like Diehard's idea...pick Hunt as the utility player.

Steel Dragon
21-05-08, 11:12 PM
That is one of the sweetest Origin victories ever. Far from the prettiest, but extra sweet given all the scorn that has been poured on the New South Wales team in the lead up.

And for those who want to keep it up after the match - what the hell is everyone's problem with Gasnier? He is the best centre in the world, and is absolutely the best one-on-one attacking player in the league. He has proven that again and again. I'm supposing those who would argue would put forward Hodges for the title - granted, he is good, but Gaz is better. The fact Gaz is often robbed of chances to shine by the useless ball distribution of the Dragons halves is hardly his fault.

As for being the best ever - well, I don't think anyone other than Gus would argue he's better than Langlands and Meninga, two immortals who Gus has seen play (though Chang was more of a fullback). I would say he's the second best I've personally seen - after Big Mal.

Anyway, back down off my soapbox, GO THE MIGHTY BLUES!!!! Let's go for a repeat of our last win at Suncorp - game 3, 2005. Great win built on the back of a defensive effort I've never seen from the Blues, either before or since.

And back on my soapbox for a second - I don't know if I said so on this forum, but I've been telling anyone who would listen for the last two months that Wallace should be the Blues halfback. Nice to be (rarely, I might add ;)) proven right.

DIEHARD
21-05-08, 11:36 PM
You all know where the border is.

daveyk
21-05-08, 11:39 PM
i said it at the titans v warriors game and i will gladly say it again

TATE IS A W@NKER!!!!

he was an absolute joke, much like the the QLD selectors for putting him in there to start with, leaving prince out, putting hunt @ 5/8.....

man the list just goes on

lets just hope that they get it right in 3 weeks

GCT_89
22-05-08, 12:39 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GO THE BLUES!!!!!!

im full going to rip into you all tomorrow....but for now i gotta go.......

DIEHARD: HOW **** DO YOU FEEL NOW hahahahahahaha

oh and c-whiz: i'll be looking forward to my two beers at the storm game........

GO THE BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIEHARD
22-05-08, 12:51 AM
I feel the same. We aren't band wagoners and passion pretenders up here like south of the Tweed. 67k at the game was a disgrace.

We got smashed for 80 years, do you really think losing a game is going to upset us? We never lose our passion and pride.

We'll get our team calibrated and destroy the NSWscum.

Your presence in this state tells us all which state you truly think is best.

Paul
22-05-08, 06:45 AM
Bitter much Diehard?

Just admit QLD were smacked off the park by a team everyone expected QLD to beat easily.

Paul
22-05-08, 08:24 AM
The GC bulletin gave Thurston 8 out of 10

WTF, I don't know what game they were watching

titans_rulz25
22-05-08, 10:32 AM
the new south wales r goin to flog them and we did:fight: thats right we won

Big J
22-05-08, 12:20 PM
I feel the same. We aren't band wagoners and passion pretenders up here like south of the Tweed. 67k at the game was a disgrace.

We got smashed for 80 years, do you really think losing a game is going to upset us? We never lose our passion and pride.

We'll get our team calibrated and destroy the NSWscum.

Queensland supporters, proudly sponsored by Kleenex.

Not getting passion and pride mixed up with being a terrible loser by any chance Diehard???

There used to be only one thing wrong with Qld as a state and that was that it WAS full of Queenslanders. Now with the influx of us Mexicans the place is perfect!!

Won't be long till there are more blue jerseys at the Suncorp game than maroon ones........

Hoppy2007Dragons
22-05-08, 01:28 PM
67k at the game was a disgrace.

considering that suncorps capacity is 57, 10,000 more people ain't that bad.

i think 67k is brilliant, considering everyone thought and said we would be lucky to get 25,000 into the game.

C-Whiz
22-05-08, 02:33 PM
The GC bulletin gave Thurston 8 out of 10

WTF, I don't know what game they were watching

8 out of 10 for what?

Oh, I know. 2 out of 10 for kicking game, 2out of 10 for passing game, and 4 out of 10 for effort. That adds up!

I'd be hard picked to give anyone a 7 and I'd say the average player played a pretty average game. I wouldn't even be bothered watching it again to see who didn't do what. It was a dismal performance, with a few moments of brilliance. In fact I'd be hard pressed to name a time when I remember some players do anything, let alone stand out with a great play. :nope:

Steve
22-05-08, 02:41 PM
In fact I'd be hard pressed to name a time when I remember some players do anything, let alone stand out with a great play. :nope:

Oh I'd disagree.
I think Boof did brilliantly off the bench. Infact all the forwards really put in a top effort. Wallace was great on debut, really stood up under the spotlight, probably played better than he does at club level!
Quinn... I'd thought that was an odd selection but he really was great in both attack and defence.
It goes on and on... oh wait... you mean the Queenslanders... right. Gotcha. :doh:

C-Whiz
22-05-08, 02:46 PM
Oh I'd disagree.
I think Boof did brilliantly off the bench. Infact all the forwards really put in a top effort. Wallace was great on debut, really stood up under the spotlight, probably played better than he does at club level!
Quinn... I'd thought that was an odd selection but he really was great in both attack and defence.
It goes on and on... oh wait... you mean the Queenslanders... right. Gotcha. :doh:

Yeah, nice mate, nice! :p

We don't give Blues players ratings because they can't count past 2, and we give them that just for having the guts to show up!

Pity Qld didn't show up last night......

J-Storm
22-05-08, 05:04 PM
I don't know why people are giving it to Tate. He played better than the so-called five-eigth in Hunt! They should have switched the team around at half time, moved GI to five-eigth & Hunt to full-back. Play Slater as a rover, anything, but get Hunt outta the play-making role, he couldn't start a fire with matches let alone a backline movement...

And while we are at it, can someone please tell the selectors that poor PJ was never any good for Origin before, why did they think last night would be any different? And pick some forwards who will have a go (& preferably not get knocked out every Origin game like Dallas has of late). God forbid the selectors should choose some players that should be there rather than names or fill-ins...

*ends rant*!

Steve
22-05-08, 05:58 PM
Pity Qld didn't show up last night......

You beat me to it. ;)

Chaos
22-05-08, 06:39 PM
And for those who want to keep it up after the match - what the hell is everyone's problem with Gasnier? He is the best centre in the world, and is absolutely the best one-on-one attacking player in the league. He has proven that again and again. I'm supposing those who would argue would put forward Hodges for the title - granted, he is good, but Gaz is better. The fact Gaz is often robbed of chances to shine by the useless ball distribution of the Dragons halves is hardly his fault.

As for being the best ever - well, I don't think anyone other than Gus would argue he's better than Langlands and Meninga, two immortals who Gus has seen play (though Chang was more of a fullback). I would say he's the second best I've personally seen - after Big Mal.

I thought Gasnier was the best center in the world before the Dragons stuffed him around by playing him at 5/8...he sure showed his critics last night.

Gas and Cooper are two great centres that don't shine in the Dragons team...they only learn when on rep camps.

Chaos
22-05-08, 07:06 PM
Even Wally couldn't have saved Qld: Ikin
By Wayne Heming
AAP

Former Queensland State of Origin five-eighth Ben Ikin says the Maroons would not have won Wednesday night's opening game even with Wally Lewis in the No.6 jumper.

Queensland selectors were under fire amid claims they messed up by selecting fullback Karmichael Hunt at five-eighth ahead of Gold Coast halfback Scott Prince.

While Maroons legend Allan Langer preferred to see Wednesday night's effort as an off night, Ikin said the halves were not the main problem.

"It wouldn't have mattered if you'd had Wally Lewis in that position, he couldn't have done much different because of the lack of go-forward and creativity and effectiveness Queensland had through the middle area of the field," Ikin said.

The youngest player to pull on an Origin jumper when he played the first of 17 games in 1995 under Paul Vautin, Ikin said Queensland had played too one-out and deserted coach Mal Meninga's game plan.

"It doesn't matter if Scott Prince plays last night, the cold hard facts are Queensland played boring and predictable football through the middle," he said.

"We didn't play direct enough and we were too one-out.

"It didn't matter who was in the halves, they were never going to have the time or space they needed off the back of some good go forward.

"Every time we did go wide it was off the back of limited go forward, they just shut us down because they were all set.

"The blame for that rests on the shoulders of Smithy (captain Cameron Smith) and his forward pack.

"I know it's not sensational news to talk about it that way.

"I know they want to call for Queensland's blood and I'm hearing stories about selectors getting it wrong and all that caper but I'm totally against all that talk."

Champion halfback Langer said he'd leave the issue of whether Prince was called up to the selectors.

"It wasn't our best performance," Langer told AAP.

"NSW were hot on the night, they played great and that happens.

"They just out-enthused us."

Prince will have two games - the second against Cronulla featuring NSW man-of-the-match Greg Bird - to change selectors' minds.

There's also a possibility long-serving prop Steve Price could make an 11th-hour bid to play, which could mean a forwards reshuffle with Carl Webb and Ben Hannant vying for a bench role.

Tough Sydney Roosters forward Nate Myles put forward a tempting case for a starting role in Origin II, beating Petero Civoniceva to Queensland's player-of-the-match award.

Ikin said Origin was so mentally and physically intense that sometimes when things didn't pan out it was easy for a side to lose their way.

"What Queensland dished up last night wasn't what they practiced during the week and they'd be the first to admit it," said Ikin.

"They never gave in, but when you play dumb it can often look worse than what it really is and that's what they did through the middle.

"They'll have a look at where they went wrong and I think you'll see a much better Billy Slater, JT (Johnathan Thurston) and Karmichael Hunt than you saw last night."

Ikin said Brisbane wouldn't be keen for regular Maroons five-eighth Darren Lockyer to rush back for Origin II - but that might not stop him if he thinks he can play.

"There's a difference between what the Broncos would want and what Lockyer would want," Ikin said.

"I'm assuming he would have been walking up the walls of the coach's box last night and that's a question only he can answer.

"But if he's not fit, I'd leave Karmichael at five-eighth and bring Prince on the bench.

"That way he could come on at halfback, Johnathan Thurston could move to five-eighth and Karmichael could play that roving role of a second fullback/lock through the middle."

Ikin,
Before you start making opinions...go speak to somebody that reads the game first....your a good follower...don't think for yourself and speak in the media...and don't listen to people that can't read the game.

The half back controls the direction of play and don't play down Wally Lewis' ability.
How could the forwards control the ruck if the ball is taken away from them?
You need to admit Thurston had a bad game and it cost us round one.

Paul
22-05-08, 07:22 PM
"It doesn't matter if Scott Prince plays last night, the cold hard facts are Queensland played boring and predictable football through the middle," he said.

For the last week Ikin has been saying "playing down the middle" is where QLD would win the game.He went on about it on the sunday footy show and before kick off last night

I like Benny Ikin and usually he talks so much sense but this quote is just talking out of his ****.

Why can't the QLD almightys just admit they got it wrong for once. It's not often they do and there is no shame in it but don't come out and talk to the public (who clearly knew Prince should be there and Hunt at 5/8th was a joke) like they are so gullible.

GCT_89
22-05-08, 10:32 PM

im sorry, but no matter how much you may want to think it, you dont speak on behalf of ALL QLD supporters.... in particular the ones i saw last night, leaving the pub with 20 mins to go......by 5 mins to go on the clock the only ones left were me and my fellow Blues....... this was a pub FULL of QLDS.......lol

no, my presence in this state should tell you that i live here.....its called state of origin, not state you live in......... by the way, do you live in brisbane or on the gorgeuous Gold Coast? surely your pressence in brisbane tells me what team you truly think is best.....or maybe thats all just a load of **** form a typical QLD supporter.........sore loser

good luck at suncorp buddy.......but i dont think you'll need it........a win is almost certain there......which would be great just to stop the whinging for a few weeks :p

GO THE MIGHTY BLUES!!!!!

Boonarga
22-05-08, 11:57 PM
Wasn't it great to see the QLD players tripping over their bottom lips throughout the last 20 minutes? Always great to see a feeling of smug superiority put down.

Another question... where is Bowraville?

C-Whiz
23-05-08, 06:59 AM
no, my presence in this state should tell you that i live here.....its called state of origin, not state you live in......... by the way, do you live in brisbane or on the gorgeuous Gold Coast? surely your pressence in brisbane tells me what team you truly think is best.....or maybe thats all just a load of **** form a typical QLD supporter.........sore loser

The point isn't that because you live here you should support Qld, the point is most NSW (or Vic, WA, SA etc) choose to move and live in QLD because they agree it is a much better place to live. The reason QLD'ers hate NSW'men so much at Origin time is because you all move here and bleat on about how good your state is.

Actually, it's probably just because you move here at all! ;)

As far as the game on Wednesday, it was a real test of pride. It's hard to support a team through 80 minutes of awful football, supporting a team we all know was 1st rate on paper, 2nd rate in selection and positioning and doesn't contain our best halfback. I struggled with the last 20 minutes. It was terrible. Not as bad as the first 10 though! I know Qld will bounce back, and the pride never goes. It has just been severely bruised along with our ego, but it won't be long before we show our true superiority again. :p

In the meantime, you continue to enjoy living in the greatest state of all, and keep telling us how good NSW is. :laugh:

TITAN PETE
23-05-08, 09:31 AM
The point isn't that because you live here you should support Qld, the point is most NSW (or Vic, WA, SA etc) choose to move and live in QLD because they agree it is a much better place to live. The reason QLD'ers hate NSW'men so much at Origin time is because you all move here and bleat on about how good your state is.

Actually, it's probably just because you move here at all! ;)

As far as the game on Wednesday, it was a real test of pride. It's hard to support a team through 80 minutes of awful football, supporting a team we all know was 1st rate on paper, 2nd rate in selection and positioning and doesn't contain our best halfback. I struggled with the last 20 minutes. It was terrible. Not as bad as the first 10 though! I know Qld will bounce back, and the pride never goes. It has just been severely bruised along with our ego, but it won't be long before we show our true superiority again. :p

In the meantime, you continue to enjoy living in the greatest state of all, and keep telling us how good NSW is. :laugh:

Ya gotta love Origin time :fist:

Mate i moved here 13 years ago & love NSW 3 or 4 times a year ;)
1.Origin
2.Origin (if there is 2 games a year)
3.Grand Final (would prefer to see it Suncorp)
4.Bathurst

I'm true Blue & hate you Morrons at Origin time as you hate me but "WE" wouldn't want it any other way :fist: :fist: :fist: ;)

Paul
23-05-08, 11:35 AM
It has nothing to do with where you currently live or which state is "better" to live in.It's all to do with where you were born/grew up.

Steve
23-05-08, 03:40 PM
Wasn't it great to see the QLD players tripping over their bottom lips throughout the last 20 minutes? Always great to see a feeling of smug superiority put down.

Another question... where is Bowraville?

Bowraville is on the New South Wales central coast. South from Coffs Harbour and inland from Nambucca heads.