PDA

View Full Version : World Sevens

Eel 33
21-11-05, 12:55 PM
Does anyone think its a relevant competition? Should it be held anymore? If so, when should it be held? Was the last format it was played under good? Can it be improved? What about the location? Would Robina be a good location when it opens?

Super Cronk
21-11-05, 12:58 PM
I love the world sevens. I went to the last two and really enjoyed it. The attacking footy is awesome and fast paced. Its also good for countries like fiji, lebanon, samoa etc to get involved and show off some skill. I dont know if it will be held agian..i heard it might be back in 2006 or 2007. I hope its back....and hopefully for my sake its at aussie staduim.

DIEHARD
21-11-05, 12:59 PM
Yes it is relevant, extremely relevant.

But there are currently no plans to bring it back, with the main opponents being the NRL clubs.

The World Sevens has supporters in high places but not enough.

If brought back the World Sevens needs a new format. Necessity means that it should no longer be based off NRL clubs and should focus more on international teams.

With either an Australian team or Queensland, New South Wales and teams from affiliated states playing.

Teams can be drawn from willing NRL clubs and players as well as from NSW Premier League and Queensland Cup.

You could even invite QLD CUP teams in a revised format.

We could also make it a World Nines, which is my preferred option.

One thing is for sure, international rugby league needs the world sevens back!

I give the strong tip that it will return but not in the immediate future.

Eel 33
21-11-05, 01:00 PM
I want it back. The Tigers rudely stole the trophy from Parra in 04, we want it back. Preferably flog them in the final. :p

Ipswich Fan
21-11-05, 01:03 PM
I went to a couple of Sevens tournaments & loved every minute of it, i'd love to see it return.

Eel 33
21-11-05, 01:05 PM
Other teams could come from Interstate with fledgling comps, a Country NSW and QLD teams???

DeeGan
21-11-05, 01:14 PM
I believe we need something back for the pre-season, my preference though is bringing back a pre-season knockout tournament for 2007 as we will have a nice even 16 teams.

As for the 7's, there was merit behind the idea - though 13 a side action like the above is what I would prefer with 20 minutes quarters televised on CH9 and FOX.

It also gives fans the chance to see some of that young talent on hand play at the top level.

DeeGan

Steelers
21-11-05, 05:18 PM
I would love to see the World 7's back. I wouldn't mind seeing it at a club perspective, with clubs from both the NRL and QLD Cup competing, and possibly even ESL clubs. Also include state teams from VIC, WA, etc and countries like PNG, USA, etc.

Titanium_BD1103
21-11-05, 05:34 PM
I reckon Sevens returning would be a great idea.. gives us a chance to see the players going at it against other nations and having a good time.

As for winning the thing.. Canterbury never ever will.. we field junior players who get us to the semis, but it is good because the supporters get to see the club depth and get to know players and like them, then they turn up for the PL matches over the season... :D :D

Steelers
21-11-05, 05:39 PM
LOL I just realised, the 2004 7's win by the Tigers was an omen that they were headed to big things, because all sides usually field PL players in their sides.

Kallan
21-11-05, 05:48 PM
I would love to see the World Sevens back on.

Queenslander
21-11-05, 08:50 PM
Yep bring back the World Sevens and have it in Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium which is the best rugby league venue in the world. And hold it over 3 days on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Eel 33
12-01-06, 09:39 AM
Can the Mods tell me if there is anyway that the 2 "Sevens" threads can be put together?

Reason being that mine has a poll on it and would like as many votes as possible.