PDA

View Full Version : NYC Trial: Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
18-02-08, 09:09 PM
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx11419.jpg VS http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg
Saturday 23rd February, Langlands Park - 4.00pm kick Off

Gold Coast Titans Under 20s

1 Cameron White
2 Tyson Lofipo
3 Kevin Gordon
4 Jordan Rapana
5 David Moore
6 Cody Nelson
7 Kayne Lawton
8 James Baillie
9 Andrew Battese
10 Will Matthews
11 Ben Ridge
12 Tom Kingston
13 Ryan Simpkins

Interchange:

14 Richard Barrett
15 Steve Darby
16 Jy Hitchcox
17 Sam Stewart
18 Kingi Aka'oula
19 Bodene Thompson
20 Sosaia Vave
21 Brodie Williams
22 Ryan Wilson
23 Geoff Holcombe

Coach - Steve Murphy

Brisbane Broncos Under 20s

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Will Tupou
4. Alex Glenn
5. Josh Williams
6. Andrew McCullough
7. Ben Hunt
8. Mitchell Dodds
9. Nathan Strudwick
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Matt Hand****
12. Michael Spence
13. Brendon Gibb

Reserves:
14. Tom Butterfield
15. Jared Kahu
16. Daniel Tanzwell
17. Tyson Andrews
18. Josh Coyle
19. Leon Panapa
20. Wiremu Ratana
21. Troyden Watene
22. Kerryn Blake
23. Guy Ford
24. Josh McGuire

MORE TO COME!

DIEHARD
18-02-08, 09:20 PM
Here is an invitation to Titans fans. Who would like to travel up to Langlands and cheer on our Under 20s with me and Steve?

Langlands Park is the home ground of the Easts Tigers who play in the Queensland Cup. It's in Greenslopes, Brisbane.

Locky24
18-02-08, 09:58 PM
Here is an invitation to Titans fans. Who would like to travel up to Langlands and cheer on our Under 20s with me and Steve?

Langlands Park is the home ground of the Easts Tigers who play in the Queensland Cup. It's in Greenslopes, Brisbane.

is it free??????? if not how much?

Steve
19-02-08, 12:15 AM
This might require some clarification.

Easts website says saturday 23rd.

Also, it's $5 entry.

travop
19-02-08, 08:14 AM
ive played there before
i gotta say its a pretty dodge field but ill be there

DIEHARD
19-02-08, 12:52 PM
This might require some clarification.

Easts website says saturday 23rd.

Also, it's $5 entry.

Good hunting Steve. I was told on Broncoshq.com by a Broncos fan that it was Saturday as well.

$5 is a very affordable day out at the footy.

GCT_89
19-02-08, 01:48 PM
yea im keen to get to this......gotaa support our lower grades too.......im a Gold Coast TITANS supporter, and that means the whole club.......i wasnt aware of this game so i hope i can make it........i might have plans already but ill try to escape.....lol

anymore details though?
time?
address?
Other games?

Steve
19-02-08, 01:59 PM
Saturday Feb 23rd
$5 entry

Broncos NYC V Titans NYC 4.00 pm
Fasts v Norths FOGS CUP 5.45 pm
Easts v Norths State League 7.30 pm

It's at Langlands Park, Greenslopes. As far as I can tell it's near the Langlands Park Memorial Pool, Panitya Street.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/titansforum/langlands.jpg

GCT_89
19-02-08, 03:00 PM
Saturday Feb 23rd
$5 entry

Broncos NYC V Titans NYC 4.00 pm
Fasts v Norths FOGS CUP 5.45 pm
Easts v Norths State League 7.30 pm

It's at Langlands Park, Greenslopes. As far as I can tell it's near the Langlands Park Memorial Pool, Panitya Street.

cheers mate...ill see if i can make it........;)

stormside
19-02-08, 05:17 PM
My nephew is named in that side. I spoke to him earlier today and he is surprised to see it there as at this point in time the side themselves have not been made aware who will be playing. If he is in it I will be a fair chance of going.

DIEHARD
19-02-08, 06:01 PM
Double win for me, Titans Under 20s and Norths Devils, my Queensland Cup club!

And as GCT 89 says, we need to support the club as a whole not just the NRL team.

Steve
19-02-08, 06:39 PM
Definitely!

These are our NRL first graders of tomorrow.

snoopdog
21-02-08, 10:23 AM
is no better than rat **** .... he is probably the best trainer but i dont think he deserves a spot in the titans under 20's above bo dene thompson ryan wilson and brodie williams

stormside
21-02-08, 01:11 PM
lol mate where are you getting your information from....the team listed on the previous page has Steve Darby listed on the reserves bench alongside those blokes you mentioned. So how are you saying he is "above" those players. A reserve is a reserve.

stormside
21-02-08, 01:12 PM
This is a strong squad the Titans have chosen so this will be a good indicator for them as to how they are travelling. Convinicing win over Wynnum last week but this will be a big step up.

DIEHARD
21-02-08, 04:34 PM
Future Titans stars step up

TITANS under-20s coach Steve Murphy expects his teenage troops to get a `reality check' this weekend when they clash with Brisbane's gun national youth side for the first time.

In what is expected to develop into a great rivalry between the two southeast Queensland cities, the Titans will take on Brisbane at Langlands Park in the second of three pre-season trials.

After easily accounting for Wynnum-Manly colts 48-16 on Saturday, Murphy predicted a much tougher assignment against the Broncos.

"In any competition the Gold Coast and Brisbane seems to have a rivalry regardless of what sport it is," said Murphy.

"It will certainly be a nice physical affair this week I would imagine."

The Titans look set to lose Esi Tonga -- younger brother of Bulldogs wrecking ball Willie -- after the powerful centre suffered a suspected broken foot playing in the NRL trial against Canberra.

"We will get a reality check this week against the Broncos," said Murphy.

"The Broncos are big and strong and physical so they will be a good test for our boys."

Meanwhile the Titans under-18 side opened their SG Ball campaign with a 30-30 draw with Cronulla at Tugun. After leading 26-10 with just 15 minutes to go, the Titans faded and were reeled in by the young Sharks.

"We just turned over too much ball," said Titans SG Ball coach Jamie O'Connor.

"It is pretty hard to defend when you do that."

* BURLEIGH will have some work to do heading into next Saturday's trial match against Redcliffe after being defeated 30-22 by a Toowoomba selection team on Saturday night.

Fielding a 24-man squad with a sprinkling of experienced Queensland Cup regulars and some up-and-comers, the Bears led 18-6 at one point before being overhauled by the home side late in the match.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
21-02-08, 07:36 PM
Brisbane Broncos Under 20s

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Will Tupou
4. Alex Glenn
5. Josh Williams
6. Andrew McCullough
7. Ben Hunt
8. Mitchell Dodds
9. Nathan Strudwick
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Matt Hand****
12. Michael Spence
13. Brendon Gibb

Reserves:
14. Tom Butterfield
15. Jared Kahu
16. Daniel Tanzwell
17. Tyson Andrews
18. Josh Coyle
19. Leon Panapa
20. Wiremu Ratana
21. Troyden Watene
22. Kerryn Blake
23. Guy Ford
24. Josh McGuire

Source: http://www.BroncosHQ.com

DIEHARD
21-02-08, 11:25 PM
OK so who is going to the game this Saturday?

Me, Steve and GCT 89 for starters.

stormside
21-02-08, 11:25 PM
Yes ill be there

snoopdog
22-02-08, 12:33 PM
michael spence the number 12 from broncs
watch what this kid does and how much he will excell in this competition
will definantely be on the cards for nrl debut this season similar to greg eastwood but puts on awesome hits

GCT_89
22-02-08, 12:58 PM
i am a definate for saturday now......also bringing a friend......steve! shes a penny fan.....lol

see you all there at 3:45ish.........

Steve
22-02-08, 01:08 PM
Haha, awesome! That's my kinda gal!

I'm probably bringing a mate too, and a guy from another forum who does sports photography might turn up. Although he's a kiwi and a union fan, I reckon our lads can turn him. ;)

DIEHARD
22-02-08, 05:02 PM
GOATUS is confirmed, I repeat GOATUS is confirmed.

Should be a healthy turn out! Especially considering it is a NYC Trial match!

C-Whiz
22-02-08, 05:15 PM
I think I might be able to make this one. Anyone want to head up from the Gold Coast? Might see what trains are doing, but if we can get a few people maybe car pool?

DIEHARD
23-02-08, 12:24 AM
I think I might be able to make this one. Anyone want to head up from the Gold Coast? Might see what trains are doing, but if we can get a few people maybe car pool?

That would be awesome if you could make it. We will have a pretty decent sized group.

DIEHARD
23-02-08, 04:07 PM
I'm heading off now. GCT 89, Steve, GOATUS and CWhiz are also heading in.

Credit to C Whiz coming up all the way from the Coast on such a hellish day.

I'm going to use my brain and print out the team sheets and bring my Titans Pre Season Magazine so we know who is who and what their favourite music and hobbies are.

TITAN PETE
23-02-08, 10:50 PM
Just spoke to Whiz & he said the Broncos were to quick out wide & finished up 34-22 but the Titans were without Shannon Walker

Steve
23-02-08, 11:16 PM
Yep.
We've got some talent, no doubt. But we seemed to lack wingers and they kept getting outside our lads.

C-Whiz
24-02-08, 12:04 AM
The way i saw it was the first 1/4 it was pretty even. Now I don't know who was who, and certainly couldn't tell what position they were playing in as being a trial they were getting moved around, so you'd have number 4 on the wing etc. At times it seemed like we had 10 forwards and a couple of centres trying to cover the flanks. it was not particularly good coverage.

Anyway, the second 1/4 it looked like we put all our big guys out there, and there was some good hard tackling and running, but the Broncos just seemed to keep getting around our outside men. They also seemed to be some average defence out wide, so i don't know if this was due to being short on wingers or just letting everyone have a run in different positions. Either way, they ran at least 4 tries around us in the game. Not just a break down the sideline, there seemed to be 3 or 4 man over-laps at times.

Anyway, after half time it seemed to balance out a bit, but in the last 2 quarters the problem still seemed to be out wide for the Titans. That is clearly something they will address in training/coaching.

The good news is we have some big strong boys on the paddock, and they can play footy. The problems seem to be a bit of a lack of mobility with some, and too much dropped ball. It was friggin' hot though, and there was a howling wind for most of the game, so not ideal conditions, but the same for both sides.

That's how I saw it anyway.

GCT_89
24-02-08, 01:43 AM
Agreed with C-Whiz..........^^^^

sorry for piking out guys, i had other stuff that needed to be done.........

my early departure makes up for diehards late arrival.....lol

definatley some skilled players in the U/20s squad........ specail shout out to Kayne Lawton (half back), Kingi akaluola (centre), Jordan Rapana and Bodene thompson....... great work out there today from those few standouts.......

totally
24-02-08, 11:42 AM
OK well here was my take on the game. 14 points sort of flattered the Broncos...Titans definately have the talent to be competitive. Jordan Rapano was the pick of the players. Kayne Lawton played well why he was out there but I actually doubt he is a halfback..and im thinking he would go better as hooker. Im actually questioning the Titans halves pairing altogether. Cody Nelson is an excellent defender and would be a very good lock but he lacks the speed and passing game to be the first choice 5/8. I also would not be questioning the wingers of the Titans. The ball never once reached them in a backline movement Kingi (inside centre) went himself everytime he got the ball. Titans have a lot speed themselves outwide but the only time Moore, Gordon and Hitchcox got the ball was off dummy half scoots or kick returns. And yes the Broncos pretty much scored all the points outwide....but once again dont blame the wingers or outside centres..by the time it reached them the Broncos had 2 and 3 men over laps.

I would like to see the Titans try the following for there next trial

Move Lawton into hooker'
Nelson to Lock
Stewart halfback
Hitchcox 5/8
Rapano to fullback
and Gordon to inside Centre

I agree part of our problem defensively was too many big men who didnt have the mobility .

C-Whiz
24-02-08, 07:12 PM
Yeah, good post totally.

Jordan Rapano was the pick of the players. Yes, he was excellent, great attacking runs, solid defence.
I also would not be questioning the wingers of the Titans. The ball never once reached them in a backline movementNot questioning their attacking abilities, just wondering how the Broncs kept getting around them so easily.
Kingi (inside centre) went himself everytime he got the ball. Is this the guy who got sent off last trial? I thought he was a solid player, but maybe needs to work on tackling technique. Remember that big guys like Kingi and Rapana will break through average defence. The Broncs have a solid outfit, and managed to contain these guys, but I would be encouraging both these guys to run at gaps. They have speed and size.
And yes the Broncos pretty much scored all the points outwide....but once again dont blame the wingers or outside centres..by the time it reached them the Broncos had 2 and 3 men over laps.I think I may have sounded a bit harsh on reflection. I think the Titans were rushing up in numbers to control the ruck, which was why we were exposed on the wings. But we had good control around the ruck, which was what forced the Broncs to go wide. So this is not all bad. It is a trial, score is not the really important thing. A lot of lessons learnt, a lot of guys had a good run, and a lot of guys played a lot of positions. Exactly what a trial is for.

jenwood
24-02-08, 08:18 PM
In reference to Kingi..... going himself every time he got the ball- doesnt surprise me-he is a Keebra Park product and I have seen first hand many times watching them play and the wingers left out like a shag on a rock while the centres try to do it all themselves even if the wingers were unmarked! Guess old habits die hard!

Steve
24-02-08, 09:33 PM
Got some photos from the game!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/titans/titans-6.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/titans/titans-5.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/titans/titans-4.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/greyko/titans/titans-3.jpg

DIEHARD
24-02-08, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the pictures Steve! We love having our own personal photographer. And we love enjoying the fruits of your labour.

It's a pitty you left after the Titans game, because the full moon came out over the horizon, casting over the field. It would have made some amazing pictures.