PDA

View Full Version : Trial 1: Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders

Queenslander
22-01-08, 08:06 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders
Briggs Road Sporting Complex (Ipswich), Saturday 16th February; 7:30pm

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpgvshttp://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx3322.gif

Team Notes:

Titans

- The match will be played in Ipswich on Saturday 16th February. Tickets can be purchased through the Ipswich League's club on 0732021887.

- The squad will train under the guidance of Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister.

Raiders

- While the Titans have named a second-string outfit, consisting of fringe first-graders and Queensland Cup regulars, the Raiders' 23-man squad contains a healthy dose of top-level players along with several from feeder club Souths Logan.

Teams:

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/titans.jpg
1.Shannon Walker
2.Joel Rapana
3.James Wood
4.Kingi Aka'Oula
5.Esi Tonga
6.Brad Davies
7.Tim McCann
8.Will Matthews
9.Matt King
10.James Griffiths
11.Chris Afamasaga
12.Selasi Berdi
13.Matthew Pow
14.Dennis Gordon
15.Roy Friend
16.Kayne Lawton
17.Jordan Rapana
18.Ben Matterson
19.Chris Enahoro
20.Brock Hunter
21.Billy Ngwani
http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/artwork/interface/categories/raiders.jpg

SQUAD:
Ryan Hinchcliffe,
Cy Lass****,
Neville Costigan,
Colin Best,
Terry Campese,
Michael Dobson,
Michael Weyman,
Adrian Purtell,
Marshall Chalk,
Bronx Goodwin,
Marc Herbert,
Brett Kelly,
David Milne,
Joel Thompson,
Tim Cannard (Souths Logan),
Jack Reed (SL),
Daniel Joyce (SL),
Jay Lass**** (SL),
Glen Buttriss (SL),
Kyle Lodge (SL),
Brad Cross (SL),
Quentin Laulu (SL).

Queenslander
26-01-08, 11:51 AM
Jetstar Titans squad for Raiders trial announced

Attached is the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans team to play the Canberra Raiders in the first of three trial matches the club will take part in prior to the start of the NRL premiership on March 14.

The match will be played in Ipswich on Saturday 16th February. Tickets can be purchased through the Ipswich League's club on 0732021887.

The squad will train under the guidance of Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister.

All sessions will be held at the Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre.

? Tuesday 29th January 6.00am
? Thursday 31st January 6.00am
? Tuesday 5th February 6.00am
? Thursday 7th February 6.00am
? Tuesday 12th February 6.00am
? Thursday 14th February 6.00am

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will also play trials against the North Queensland Cowboys in Cairns on Saturday 23rd February and against the West's Tigers on March 1st at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast.

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans team to play Canberra/Souths Logan
Saturday 16th February - Ipswich
Player: Club
1.Shannon Walker: Titans
2.Joel Rapana: Titans/Seagulls
3.James Wood: Seagulls
4.Kingi Aka'Oula: Titans
5.Esi Tonga: Titans
6.Brad Davies: Titans/Seagulls
7.Tim McCann: Seagulls
8.Will Matthews: Titans
9.Matt King: Seagulls
10.James Griffiths: Titans/Seagulls
11.Chris Afamasaga: Titans
12.Selasi Berdi: Seagulls
13.Matthew Pow: Seagulls
14.Dennis Gordon: Seagulls
15.Roy Friend: Seagulls
16.Kayne Lawton: Titans
17.Jordan Rapana: Titans
18.Ben Matterson: Seagulls
19.Chris Enahoro: Seagulls
20.Brock Hunter: Seagulls
21.Billy Ngwani: Titans
www.titans.com.au (http://www.titans.com.au)
(http://www.titans.com.au)

DIEHARD
26-01-08, 04:15 PM
Looking forward to this even though there aren't any first grade stars.

But I love seeing the younger stars and up and comers playing and we'll get to see Shannon Walker.

Should be great!

Kelvinator
26-01-08, 04:41 PM
this is basically tweed heads side from last year. hope you don't have to pay much to watch it.

patskE
28-01-08, 12:40 PM
mmm isnt tonga a center?

GCT_89
08-02-08, 06:01 PM
so whos coming to this game?

im sure it wont be a sellout, so i should be right if i just buy a ticket at the gate......dont wont to be in ipswich for any other reason..........lol

DIEHARD?
STEVE?
C-WHIZ?

whos gonna be there?

Queenslander
08-02-08, 07:03 PM
I was all ready and set to attend this game, but then found out I had other commitments and now can't make it. :mad:

DIEHARD
09-02-08, 12:00 AM
so whos coming to this game?

im sure it wont be a sellout, so i should be right if i just buy a ticket at the gate......dont wont to be in ipswich for any other reason..........lol

DIEHARD?
STEVE?
C-WHIZ?

whos gonna be there?

I will definitely be there and I will try and drag along Goatus as well and a few others.

How many tickets do you want GCT 89?

GCT_89
09-02-08, 09:48 AM
just myself..........plus ill need to get a lift out there, as my car is currently fkd and will be for some time i think..........

DIEHARD
09-02-08, 06:03 PM
I can do a lift and a ticket. I'll keep you posted.

GCT_89
09-02-08, 06:04 PM
cheers mate......

Queenslander
11-02-08, 08:27 PM
Origin enforcer heads to Ipswich

By Lee Gaskin

THE Canberra Raiders have breathed life into this Saturday's NRL trial at Ipswich, unleashing Queensland State of Origin enforcer Neville Costigan upon the Gold Coast Titans.

While the Titans have named a second-string outfit, consisting of fringe first-graders and Queensland Cup regulars, the Raiders' 23-man squad contains a healthy dose of top-level players along with several from feeder club Souths Logan.

Costigan's inclusion comes as a surprise after The Canberra Times reported the former Brisbane Bronco would miss the first two trial games of the year due to stress fractures in his shin.

But Canberra Raiders football manager David Sharpe said Costigan's injury was progressing better than expected.

"That story was a load of rubbish. Neville's had a bit of a shin problem, but it wasn't the six weeks that they reported," Sharpe said.

"He's been named for the game in Ipswich and we expect him to be fit to play.

"We're hoping for big things from Neville this year. He broke his hand in Origin last year, but he played probably his best football in the last few games."

Along with Costigan, other regular first-graders in the powerful squad include winger Colin Best, playmakers Michael Dobson and Terry Campese and forward Michael Weyman.

The match will also be an opportunity for Boonah product Marshall Chalk to stake his claims for a spot in either the second row or in the centres.

"Marshall approached us and said he was really keen to head home," Sharpe said.

As well as the NRL match, Ipswich Jets will play Tweed Heads Seagulls in Colts, FOGS and Qld Cup trial games from 2.30pm.

Tickets are available from Ipswich Jets Leagues Club, North Ipswich.

Inquires contact 3202 1887.

The Queensland Times

TITAN PETE
11-02-08, 09:23 PM
Costigan must want to challenge himself early in the season to want to take on some of those 19yr old MONSTERS playing in the Titans pack :;) !

hugebrianfan
12-02-08, 09:46 AM
I am going for the gold coast titans
In this match, well I would be anyways. Oh the Canberra raiders and Brisbane broncos are coming to my town for a trial game next weekend!! But im not going to go coz I wont be aloud to. Im not aloud to go anywhere really.

Queenslander
12-02-08, 08:46 PM
RAIDERS READY FOR FIRST HIT OUT
Tuesday 12 Feb 2008 14:56
by (Press Release)
Source: www.raiders.com.au

The CFMEU Canberra Raiders will get their first taste of footy for season 2008 this weekend, when they travel to Ipswich to take on the Gold Coast Titans in the first of three pre-season trials.

The Green Machine will use the trial as a stepping stone for the season, with 15 of their squad traveling north of the border to take on the Titans. This will give the Raiders coaching staff a solid indication of where they see the side heading in the next few weeks, with further trials scheduled against other Queensland based outfits the Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys.

Raiders assistant Coach David Furner will be in charge of the team heading to Ipswich, with the 14 Raiders squad members set to meet up with the remaining eight Souths Logan based players on Friday.

Furner said although the trial will not be full NRL strength, it will still benefit the players who had limited on-field time in 2007.

"I think for us its about getting some early preparation, there's some guys there that haven't played for a while, Adrian Purtell comes to mind who's was out for most of last year with DVT, and he'd be looking forward to having a few games before the season begins."

Furner added that it was important for some of the Raiders forwards to show where they are at in terms of fitness, and it was the perfect opportunity to see them in action along with some of the Queensland based players.

"Some of our forward will be pressing for selection for our first round game against the Knights, and guys like Michael Weyman, Marshall Chalk and Ryan Hinchcliffe will be all keen to put themselves in the frame," Furner said. "We're using eight Souths Logan players and it gives us an opportunity to see where they're at, because some of those players could come in contention for first grade at some stage during the year."

RAIDERS V TITANS
Briggs Road Sporting complex
Saturday, February 16, 7.15pm

RAIDERS (Squad): Ryan Hinchcliffe, Cy Lass****, Neville Costigan, Colin Best, Terry Campese, Michael Dobson, Michael Weyman, Adrian Purtell, Marshall Chalk, Bronx Goodwin, Marc Herbert, Brett Kelly, David Milne, Joel Thompson, Tim Cannard (Souths Logan), Jack Reed (SL), Daniel Joyce (SL), Jay Lass**** (SL), Glen Buttriss (SL), Kyle Lodge (SL), Brad Cross (SL), Quentin Laulu (SL).

www.raiders.com.au

patskE
16-02-08, 02:10 PM
whats that site again from last season that had the trail games scores up, n updated? so u can see the scores live?

DIEHARD
16-02-08, 02:52 PM
whats that site again from last season that had the trail games scores up, n updated? so u can see the scores live?

That was us. We were at all the trial matches and we SMSed scores back to be posted here.

It was another website that used our scores for their website and then spammed their website here as well. They were promptly banned.

But we will be doing score updates here! So keep an eye on this thread to see the latest scores!

DIEHARD
16-02-08, 04:30 PM
Well I am about to head off to the game and catch up with fellow Legionnaire GCT 89.

I'd like to take this moment to introduce you to your LIVE score host for this evening....STEVE.

Just hope he doesn't pass out because he has been sick as a dog lately.

We'll bring back a full report on the match for you Titans fans. BYE!

patskE
16-02-08, 04:55 PM
wat time does it start? est?

Tamwelg
16-02-08, 06:18 PM
wat time does it start? est?

7:30pm I believe, as posted in the first post.

Steve
16-02-08, 06:42 PM
Don't worry, if I do fall asleep, I'm sure the phone beeping will wake me up!

Steve
16-02-08, 08:32 PM
And we have our first update.
Titans score a 90m try to Joel Rapana from their first touch of the ball. Converted by Brad Davies.

Titans 6 - Raiders 0

TITAN PETE
16-02-08, 08:36 PM
Don't know either but i do now, great start.

Steve
16-02-08, 08:39 PM
Walker catches a towering bomb, 20m restart, still 6-0 to the Titans.

Tamwelg
16-02-08, 08:42 PM
Don't know either but i do now, great start.

Both good players and yeah great start

Steve
16-02-08, 08:42 PM
Raiders are in, and the scores are locked at 6 all.

Steve
16-02-08, 08:47 PM
Raiders in again through Hinchcliffe, Dobson converts.

Titans 6 - Raiders 12 at quarter time.

Tamwelg
16-02-08, 08:50 PM
quick turn around

TITAN PETE
16-02-08, 08:53 PM
They will feel Carty's wrath :mad:

Steve
16-02-08, 08:57 PM
Joel Rapana is a young Mormon lad, spent the last 2 years in WA preaching. He's a local Tweed Heads lad (Palm Beach Currumbin SHS) and played in the Australian schoolboys side with Jarrod Mullen and Greg Inglis.

Brad Davis* is 5/8 for Tweed Heads.

*looks like there was a typo in the team listing

redback71
16-02-08, 08:59 PM
come on titans. cant wait till next week to watch them take on the cowgirls up here in cairns.

Tamwelg
16-02-08, 09:00 PM
Joel Rapana is a young Mormon lad, spent the last 2 years in WA preaching. He's a local Tweed Heads lad (Palm Beach Currumbin SHS) and played in the Australian schoolboys side with Jarrod Mullen and Greg Inglis.

Brad Davis* is 5/8 for Tweed Heads.

*looks like there was a typo in the team listing

Yep and this is his first game of Rugby since he has returned. I read a article somewhere when the Titans signed him that he was better then Inglis when they played together. Here a bit more about him http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9643

Steve
16-02-08, 09:08 PM
And in the great tradition of Reg Reagan... they're bringing back the biff. :D

redback71
16-02-08, 09:15 PM
any score updates

Steve
16-02-08, 09:16 PM
Walker gets a cutout pass 20m out, he puts on a big step and runs under the posts, try converted, 12 all!

Tamwelg
16-02-08, 09:20 PM
Woot, it would be awesome if our under strength team manage to roll a near full strength Raiders outfit

Steve
16-02-08, 09:24 PM
Woot, it would be awesome if our under strength team manage to roll a near full strength Raiders outfit

Especially after all their *****ing about it not being the first grade squad.

redback71
16-02-08, 09:26 PM
happened to the raiders last year. maybe we can do the same this year.

Steve
16-02-08, 09:29 PM
The Raiders keep testing Walker with the high ball, but the little fella keeps defusing them.

Tamwelg
16-02-08, 09:32 PM
The Raiders keep testing Walker with the high ball, but the little fella keeps defusing them.

That's great news. Might see him in the NRL sooner rather then later.

Steve
16-02-08, 09:33 PM

I'm hoping so. I wanted to see him last year, but he's served his apprenticeship, being the best in the QRL, it's time he got a run with the big boys.

redback71
16-02-08, 09:34 PM
maybe rookie of the year is in order.

Steve
16-02-08, 09:37 PM
We're in the third quarter, and the raiders are in under the posts.
18-12 to the Raiders.

TITAN PETE
16-02-08, 09:40 PM

Against the Cowboys would do ;)

redback71
16-02-08, 09:41 PM
damn raiders. (what if i cant think of 16 characters to type?)

Steve
16-02-08, 09:44 PM
Number 17, Jordan Rapana goes in with Davis converting to bring the scores to 18 all!

Steve
16-02-08, 09:45 PM
Another Palm Beach Currumbin SHS product, he's a fullback.

redback71
yeah raiders. where gonna win

Tamwelg
Another Palm Beach Currumbin SHS product, he's a fullback.

C'mon Titans..... :D

redback71
16-02-08, 09:49 PM
i was being sarcastic by the way with my last post

Steve
16-02-08, 09:50 PM
We're into the final quarter!

redback71
16-02-08, 09:54 PM
whats the weather like down there? up here in Cairns its pouring.

Steve
16-02-08, 09:55 PM
The arm wrestle continues. Raiders are in and convert, 24-18

Steve
16-02-08, 10:00 PM
The Raiders fullback bags two more quick tries, 34-18 to the Raiders.

Tamwelg
16-02-08, 10:01 PM
The Raiders fullback bags two more quick tries, 34-18 to the Raiders.

That's the game then. Not a bad first outing for our Junior Titans. They made it a close one up until now.

redback71
16-02-08, 10:03 PM
god damn it.........

Steve
16-02-08, 10:09 PM
We're in! Not sure who, but DIEHARD and GCT-89 no doubt got them home with their chanting and cheering!

And we're in again, converted!

34-28!

redback71
16-02-08, 10:12 PM
how long to go? come on Titans come on, come on. Come on Titans come on.

hully gully
16-02-08, 10:16 PM
how did shannon walker go!!!

Steve
16-02-08, 10:18 PM
Full time on what sounded like a good game to start the season.

redback71
16-02-08, 10:18 PM
i assume the game is over by now and that we lost by 6pts.

Steve
16-02-08, 10:47 PM
Yep, game over. Although final message from Diehard says 34-18, so we'll see!

GCT_89
17-02-08, 12:08 AM
Hey everyone............it was fantastic..........all you suckers lucked out by not going...........lol

final score, 34 - 28 to the raiders

was a fantastic game, definatley first grade material.............

Yep, game over. Although final message from Diehard says 34-18, so we'll see!

i think that might of been a typo.........lol

GCT_89
17-02-08, 12:18 AM
went out onto the field after the game to show our colours and strut our stuff................lol

only just thought of taking pictures at the end.......... and only got a couple of brad on the logo......

you should have been there steve, all i had was my camera phone...........lol

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2107/16022008703ja9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4877/16022008704iy7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Steve
17-02-08, 12:29 AM
Sweet!

Remember the good ol' days of fans swarming onto the field?

Hopefully we can get some photos out on the field tomorrow.

mdmg1812
17-02-08, 10:48 AM
Shannon Walker - Solid game, safe under the high ball and great try.
Joel Rapana - Took his tries well.
James Wood - Solid defensively, struggled to make ground in attack
Esi Tonga - Good and bad, at fault for their first try, but did some good things as well.
Brad Davis - Excellent, controlled the game well. A stretch but ... we could do worse that have him at five- eigth in first grade. Seems to lack pace though.
Will Matthews - Some handling erros but tried hard. A second rower in First Grade.
Kayne Lawnton - Excellent, made some probing runs, including one of 40 metres or so, strong defensively too.
Jordan Rapana - Looked supurb, remands me of Karmichael Hunt. Great attack and safe hands. Inexperience cost us one try, but he looks the goods.
Billy Ngawama - Very good game, quick out of dummy half and defended well. I focussed on his defense as that was considered his weakness.

Overall - Struggled in the forwards with only Will Matthews and Griffiths seeming to make any inroads at all. If I was the U20's coach, I would be over joyed with the play of Walker, Tonga, Lawnton, Matthews, Rapana.

Best - Ngwama, Davis, Walker, Jordon Rapana.

patskE
17-02-08, 11:52 AM
Kayne Lawnton is that big young kid who can bench alot?
man i wanna see walker in 1st grade hehe

patskE
17-02-08, 11:53 AM
Titans rookies push Canberra

February 16, 2008

GOLD Coast's band of rookies gave Canberra an almighty scare before a flurry of late tries sealed a 34-28 victory for the Raiders in their NRL trial in Ipswich.

The highlight of the match was undoubtedly a 40th-minute try to fullback Shannon Walker, an excitement machine who must surely play NRL football this year.

The 2007 Queensland Cup Player of the Year found himself in space on the left flank and put a wicked step on Raiders fullback Bronx Goodwin before sprinting to plant the ball under the posts.

Walker, 18, was safe under the high ball and showed blistering pace whenever he carted back the ball.

Titans coach John Cartwright would be delighted with the effort from his youngsters, drawn from the state competition, considering centre Kingi Aka-Oula was sent off early in the match for a high shot on Michael Brophy.

Playing against a team boasting nine regular first-graders, the Titans were level at 18-all at the three-quarter time break.

But the Raiders ran in three quick tries to blow out the scoreline to 34-18.

Joel Rapana, who scored a 90-metre try to opening the scoring, bagged his second to reduce the Titans' deficit to 34-22.

Kayne Lawton added even more respectability to the scoreline with a try just before the final siren.

Canberra coach Neil Henry said Brophy had suffered concussion and would need to undergo scans for a suspected fractured eye socket.

Halfback Michael Dobson (hip flexor) failed to finish the match while Queensland State of Origin back-rower Neville Costigan was a late withdrawal after straining a quad muscle at training yesterday.

Titans winger Esi Tonga (foot), the brother of Bulldogs star Willie Tonga, was the only injury concern for the Gold Coast.

?I thought the Titans were good considering it was a fairly young side,? said Henry. ?It just shows the depth they've got.

?We didn't really mount any serious pressure on them but credit to the Titans, I thought they played well. It was a good hit-out all round.?

patskE
17-02-08, 11:54 AM
hehe go walker sounds like a nice try casue i dont think i ever seen foxsports say wicked b4 haha

DIEHARD
17-02-08, 07:42 PM
A picture from the afore mentioned article.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5892998,00.jpg

It was a fantastic game and our team did us proud nearly beating the Raiders with NRL strength.

Had a great time out there with GCT 89. Definitely worth all the effort getting out there. The weather held off as well.

It may have been a loss but I'm sure the many Titans fans, of which at least 100-150 must have been in team colours, would have gone home happy.

It also gives you a great taste of how the Toyota Cup will be. As GCT 89 said, we are fans of the Gold Coast Titans club, not just the NRL side.

So we will be right behind our NYC and SG Ball teams, all the way.

Dragons
17-02-08, 07:56 PM
Well done by the junior Titans. Raiders didn't like the idea we played our young guns, when they came to play after the Pennies drop out they assumed that we should play a first grade side because they had there's. That showed them.

Chaos
17-02-08, 08:50 PM
A picture from the afore mentioned article.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5892998,00.jpg

I haven't seen Walker play yet but does he always carry the ball like that?

patskE
17-02-08, 10:45 PM
i dont know
he does have big hands,
taking n going from wat i see of him, thats how he runs, i guess he allows him to kick the ball/pass if quicker then putting it under his arm.

stormside
18-02-08, 03:27 PM
From what ive seen of his game passing is not a big part of it. Just part of his flambouyant game id say.

PUP*23
18-02-08, 10:13 PM
When you see Shannon play you'll understand.
Most games he can hold the ball whichever way he wants, they can't keep up with his speed.
He's a great player and a great asset to the titans.
Look forward to seeing him play first grade.

patskE
19-02-08, 05:10 PM
did titans play this match with 12 man?
i read in the paper yesturday one of out boys got sent of in 1st mintue or something :S