PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: Australia 26 ? Great Britain 12

DeeGan
20-11-05, 02:32 PM
My thoughts on the game from my latest piece for League Freak's website:

Australia 26 ? Great Britain 12

Australia has made it three wins on the trot since their shock loss to New Zealand in the opening Test this morning defeating Great Britain for the third consecutive time. The score-line was 26 ? 12 at fulltime though Great Britain were never really in the contest as Australia had full control of this match despite losing five-eight Trent Barrett for 20 minutes of the game due to two professional fouls.

Yet again ? three things stood out between the two sides.

1. Great Britain?s poor defense out wide is not up to matching Australia?s (or New Zealand for that matter) classy backline
2. Brian Noble?s use of the interchange bench is questionable and
3. The halves lack creativity at this level

If Great Britain learn anything from this Tri-Nations it will be this ? the ?how to not defend out wide? against quality opponents. In each of their four tests in 2005 they have been exposed at some point out wide by their more skillful opponent. Brent Tate made Keith Senior look like a park rugby league player on two occasions this morning ? it just isn?t good enough at this level.

The Great Britain forwards do their job ? they are let down by a backline with no ?little general? to set them alight. It is all catch and pass with no real direction which makes the backline easy pickings for the up and in defense of the Australian side.

Paul Deacon is not the answer, Richard Horne showed some promise in 3 halves of rugby league and Rob Burrow was not given a real opportunity. To state the obvious - Great Britain will be hoping Danny McGuire is available in 2006.

Five-eight llestyn Harris is not an international quality five-eight. End of story. He reminds me of New Zealand All Black Andrew Merhtens ? slow, past his best and in the side as a goal kicking option.

I am not going to harp on Brian Noble?s interchange, though I will highlight one example of what I am talking about.

Jamie Thackray started the second half seemingly for Fielden who required pain killing injections for a lower back complaint. After 6 minutes into the second half, he was replaced by Stuart Fielden wasting a valuable interchange for later in the contest. At such a crucial stage in the game, I would have backed Thackray and given him at least 15 minutes before unleashing Fielden for the final 25 minutes.

Enough about Great Britain, let?s look at Australia who have once again proved they are the dominate force in rugby league.

Anthony Minichello is the best fullback in the game bar none. Once again he came up trumps on the big stage and I see him adding to his 2004 Kangaroo Player of the Series by winning the award again on 2005.

Since Darren Lockyer went to five-eight in 2004, there has been no better fullback at any level. Sure, Hodgson, Bowen, Slater and the like have been there bouts, though no fullback has been as consistent since he moved to the fullback role on a permanent basis for the Sydney Roosters. The Count is also my tip for the Golden Boot Player of the year award. More on that later.

Brent Tate was fantastic once again; the 80m try was the standout individual play of the test once again proving Bennett right in selecting him ahead of Eric Grothe who has had his supporters since being added to the squad.

Craig Gower was tradesmen like, Buderus had an improved showing and I think our bench was really good with all contributing.

Craig Wing really added to the side when he was injected by Bennett. His speed from dummy half (lacking from Buderus?s attacking game at the moment) got Great Britain on the back foot and will be a wild card for us against New Zealand in next weeks final.

Trent Barrett was good when on the field, he controlled the game well. I think he was hard done by the ref on the first occasion when going to the bin. The second foul I had not problem with.

The Dragons centre pairing of Cooper and Gasnier once again asked questions of the Great Britain side and were simply too good for their opposite numbers in attack and defense.

There were few negatives from the game though I bring it up again (though for the first time on this web-site); Petero Civoniceva should not be starting at prop for Australia. I would not have him in the squad to be totally honest though I know that is pushing the limit with Wayne Bennett at the helm.

Look to the first hit up of the game where Petero stopped at the line before being smacked by Keiron Cunningham forcing the ball loose.

Apart from a solid first test versus New Zealand, Civoniceva has not offered little impact in attack or defense and the Trent continued again this morning as in my opinion we looked a much better side with Ryles, O?Meley and Mason on the field.

Wayne Bennett will be happy with our performance. The game was hampered by a ref who has a different interpretation on the laws of the game at this level which helped Great Britain to 10 penalties where half of those would not have been awarded with an Australian ref in the middle.

Back to the drawing board for Great Britain who promised more after a relatively successful 2004. For the good of international rugby league, let?s hope they get it together in 2006.

As for ratings:

1. Minichello - 8
2. Tate - 8
3. Gasnier - 7
4. Cooper - 8
5. King - 8
6. Barrett - 6
7. Gower - 7
8. Civoniceva - 6
9. Buderus - 7
10. Ryles - 7
11. O'Donnell - 8
12. Fitzgibbon - 7
13 . Kennedy - 6

14. Wing - 7
15. Mason - 6
16. O'Meley - 7
17 - Waterhouse - 6

DeeGan

Super Cronk
20-11-05, 03:57 PM
my ratings went something like this:

1. Minichello - 8/10: was great esp from kick returns
2. Tate - 8.10: a really good game..just about broke the line everytime he had the ball
3. Gasnier - 7/10: i thought he was quite and didnt do alot attacking wise...good defence tho
4. Cooper - 8: yet another good by coops...great all round.
5. King - 7.5/10: another quite but solid game by kingy...impressive with his ball runs and defence.
6. Barrett - 5/10: all he did was stupid penalties. grub.
7. Gower - 7.5/10: Really liked his kicking game...he placed the ball well and played pretty good over-all
8. Civoniceva - 5/10: meh...nothing special as usual.
9. Buderus - 7/10: good game by danny put his body on the line a few times good stuff.
10. Ryles - 7/10: made some good metres and was hitting hard.
11. O'Donnell - 8: worked his ass off i thought...took a few big hits...kept going.
12. Fitzgibbon - 7/10: usual game by fitzy...work, work, work.
13 . Kennedy - 6.5/10: nothing to write home about...expect him to lift next week

14. Wing - 7: adding some spark to the team when on the field. needs to run to the line more often
15. Mason - 6.5/10: he was going at it hard in defence...made some good metres but agian needs to lift
16. O'Meley - 6/10 : expected more from shrek....did score an awesome try tho!
17 - Waterhouse - 5/10: useless. Needs to work on defence...

REF 4/10: this idiot was looking high and low for any chance to penalise or disallow an aussie try.

commentators: 2/10: biased and gibbers...give it away will you!

PARANoIR
20-11-05, 09:12 PM
4 for the Ref? Gee you're generous. :p

2 for the commentators? you're just in a mood for over rated people today aren't you :p

On a serious note...was Civoneceva worthy of retaining his spot over Price? Didnt see the game, but thats one question im wondering.

Also, heard O'Donnell was the best forward on the park..true?

Steelers
20-11-05, 09:33 PM
On a serious note...was Civoneceva worthy of retaining his spot over Price? Didnt see the game, but thats one question im wondering.

I don't think he was. He played average last night (again) and Price would have done better IMO.

I would think so. He worked very hard and got some good metres as well.

Super Cronk
20-11-05, 09:36 PM
4 for the Ref? Gee you're generous. :p

2 for the commentators? you're just in a mood for over rated people today aren't you :p

was Civoneceva worthy of retaining his spot over Price? IMO ...no!

Petro has only had one stand out game for mine....he is a ghost in most games he plays. Waterhouse shouldnt even be anywhere an australian jersey...price should replace him.

DeeGan
20-11-05, 09:36 PM

Before the test - both Price and Petero were IMO about even performance wise with neither player hitting top form this Tri-Nations.

In saying that, Price IMO is the better player so no, he (Petero) was not worthy of keeping his spot ahead of Price and his performance in this test yet again proved for mine that he is very lucky to be in the side at all. At his peak - very good prop in tandem with Webcke. IMO the 2005 of Petero is a tired version past his best and not worthy of a place in the green and gold.

We are in the final - I would like to see Price come back into the side for Petero Civoniceva. As per above piece, with Bennett at the helm, it is an unlikely result given we have won three in a row and Petero's best game was against NZ in the first test.

Yes and that mongrel in him is awesome to watch - seeing him come back at Morley when he whacked his arm was great especially given Morley was eyeing him off the for the majority of the game.

What a breakout tour for him - we have found a rough diamond in O'Donnell :thumbsup: NSW in 2006 will have an eviable task - who to leave out of the forward pack!

DeeGan