PDA

View Full Version : Raiders extend Lance a chance

Steelers
20-11-05, 11:37 AM
From www.foxsports.com.au

CANBERRA is prepared to issue Lance Thompson a lifeline, as the former St George-Illawarra forward fights to save his NRL career.

After agreeing to sever ties with the Dragons on Tuesday, Thompson is contemplating whether to start a new chapter in England or oppose his beloved club in the NRL next season.

Thompson's prospects of picking up an NRL contract are becoming increasingly slender as most clubs have completed their recruitment drives for 2006.

But Canberra has emerged as a potential home, with coach Matthew Elliott saying he would welcome Thompson if he was prepared to accept a lesser deal.

Such a scenario has not hindered Thompson before.

Two years ago, he took a pay cut of $180,000 to help the Dragons retain Nathan Blacklock, Shaun Timmins and Mark Gasnier, and the potential Raiders deal would be bolstered by his payout from the Dragons, believed to be $130,000.

"I think Lance is a good player," Elliott said.

"I have no dramas about his ability and he'd certainly be an asset here.

"We do have some limitations in regards to the salary cap.

"For Lance to come to us he would have to come in on a second-tier contract (about $80,000-$100,000), but he may be willing to do that seeing he has had a payout from the Dragons.
"I haven't heard from Lance or his manager as yet, but he's a really talented player who could certainly be of use to us."

Thompson would be the perfect back-row replacement for Matt Adamson, who retired last year after a successful 12-month stint with the Raiders.

The City Origin stalwart is interested in the Canberra option.

A former Raider has given Thompson an insight into the club, and the player's close friend and former Dragon Anthony Mundine has praised the coaching ability of Elliott.

Canberra chairman John McIntyre said he would not oppose any move to sign Thompson.

"It's really up to Matt Elliott if he wants to sign him," McIntyre said.

"I guess it's a bit of a concern when you hear about his problems at St George, but he's a strong and experienced player."

English powerhouse Leeds, which held preliminary talks with Thompson's manager, Khoder Nasser, a fortnight ago, is another option.

But Thompson recently told The Sunday Telegraph that an overseas move would be a last resort because it raised the prospect of leaving behind four-year-old daughter Shalisse.

"I don't know if I could leave her behind," Thompson said.

"I guess there's always the possibility of going to England but it would be a last resort. I'm not ruling anything out."

The Sharks, who expressed a mild desire to sign Thompson last month, withdrew their interest last week.

NRL premier Wests Tigers, who approached the Dragons mid-season about the possibility of buying out Thompson's contract, has also closed the door.

"We did have some interest in Lance earlier in the year but we've got our roster sorted now," Tigers recruitment chief Warren McDonnell said.

Ipswich Fan
20-11-05, 01:38 PM
He would definately be a handy signing for Canberra.

DeeGan
20-11-05, 01:57 PM
I nominated Canberra as an option in another thread early last week - it keeps him in Australia, out of Sydney and Thompson would be a good fit in a no frills Canberra side looking for some veteran leadership in the forwards given in two seasons they have lost Wiki, Davico, O'Hara and Adamson. All rep quality playerss gone from a young Canberra pack.

DeeGan

Super Cronk
20-11-05, 02:25 PM
Would be a pretty good signing and bolster the raiders pack.

Titans#1
20-11-05, 02:30 PM
As an ex~Canberranite, and having 2 good mates in their lineup, I hope that IF Lance joins, they'll have a great year because of it.

ridgey
20-11-05, 05:36 PM
won't be able to tell him and alan tongue apart!