PDA

View Full Version : Young Titans learn lessons

DIEHARD
01-12-07, 10:58 AM
Titans hear how easy it can be to blow it all

THE GOLD Coast Titans best young players picked up some vital skills yesterday but the lesson had nothing to do with football.

The under-20 squad started their three-day NRL induction program where they will cover topics as diverse as gambling, racial discrimination and financial planning.

But most compelling for the 80 players -- from the Gold Coast, Broncos, Cowboys and Warriors -- was a chat with Darren Marton.

Twenty years ago Marton was where these players are now. He had plenty of ability and potential.

He had represented NSW through the junior grades, played in front of 30,000 people at the SCG in a curtain-raiser to an Australia v NZ Test match and had played with or against stars such as Brad Clyde, Steve Carter, David Fairleigh and Steve Renouf.

He had also captained nine premiership winning teams.

But by his early 20s it was all over, his career destroyed by alcohol and drugs.

"I started smoking cannabis when I was 13," he said. "But things really fell down when I was around 17, 18. In my early 20s I had a serious knee injury and all my dreams were shattered.

"It was cannabis and alcohol that did it. Then I was addicted to heroin for seven years, ended up in prison, progressed to crystal methamphetamine (also known as ice) and was in and out of psychiatric wards.

"Finally in 2004 I found a way out."

Part of Marton's 'way out' was to be part of a campaign to educate youngsters away from the path he took.

So far his message has been taken to 30,000 young Aussies.

"I just encourage them to be mindful (of drugs) and to educate them about the consequences," he said.

"Drugs don't discriminate."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Steve
01-12-07, 11:35 AM
I just hope lots of them take it on board instead of the usual, "that won't happen to me" attitude.

hugebrianfan
01-12-07, 09:08 PM
hope it all sinks in