PDA

View Full Version : QLD/NSW: Shannon Walker's Origin option

Queenslander
11-11-07, 09:08 AM
Walker's Origin option

Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
Peter Badel

November 11, 2007 12:00am

HE runs 100m in 10.56secs. He is rated the quickest player to grace a rugby league field in 20 years.

Now the race is on to make Shannon Walker a State of Origin star after the Titans sensation declared he will play for the first state to pick him.

Torn by divided loyalties among his family, Walker says is he prepared to represent Queensland or the Blues at senior level, depending on which outfit makes the first move.

The revelation is sure to spark concern among NSW powerbrokers, who are growing tired of the Maroons' poaching attempts, the latest of which netted Kempsey flyer Greg Inglis two years ago.

Reared in Kyogle on the NSW far north coast, the Australian Schoolboys wizard said his interstate future was wracked with confusion.

"To be honest, I don't have a preference. I'll go for the first team that picks me," Walker said.

"I don't really know where I stand.

"When I first represented Queensland (this year), some bush officials said you will have to sit down and talk about things with your mum and dad."

The problem with consulting his parents is that Walker's mum, Vera, is a Queenslander. His dad, Michael, comes from NSW.

One of 10 children, Walker's two sisters were born in Queensland. His five brothers are from NSW, but a couple barrack for the Maroons at Origin time.

To add to the mess, Walker represented the Queensland Residents this year. Under State of Origin eligibility guidelines, he is officially a Blue, having played first grade for the Kyogle Turkeys at age 16.

But rules haven't stopped the Maroons before. They've claimed Inglis. Poached fellow Kempsey boy Wayne Bartrim. Lured Adrian Lam, born in Papua New Guinea. Even Craig Smith, a Kiwi, got a start as a cane toad.

Given Walker's incredible feats this season in the Queensland Cup ? he inspired Tweed Heads to the premiership ? the Maroons won't need an invitation.

"My Mum would love me to play for the Maroons, but try telling Dad," Walker laughs.

"I played my first A-grade game at Kyogle so I guess I'm a New South Wales boy. But I've played rep footy for Queensland so I've been told by officials that I'm eligible to play for both states.

"But Origin can't be my priority at the moment. I need to make first grade first."

An NRL berth is surely not far away, with Titans managing director Michael Searle saying he has never seen a quicker player than Walker in more than two decades watching rugby league.

"I remember John Cartwright (Titans coach) seeing him and saying: 'We might lose the kid to Beijing at this rate'," Searle said.

"He's an incredible talent, but you still need the determination and grit to get there, and I think Shannon has that.

"The feeling I'm getting from Carty is that he'll blood him this year. Every challenge we've put in front of him he's met.

"He started this year in Tweed Heads colts and he ended up being the Queensland Cup player of the year."

Importantly, the hype isn't going to Walker's head. When Tweed teammates began partying after their premiership win, Walker went home to his partner Casie Winkler, 18, who is studying psychology and criminology at Bond University.

He doesn't touch alcohol.

His speed, though, is intoxicating. In his most humble tone, Walker says he has never lost a foot race. His time of 10.56, set as a 16-year-old, is no doubt a byproduct of a childhood spent chasing kangaroos and rabbits.

"Last year I was at home working with the old man. He makes boomerangs and didgeridoos, so I'd go out and look for wood with him," he says.

"I can't believe how far I've come in such a short amount of time. I'd love to play NRL.

"I'm keeping my feet on the ground."

The Sunday Mail

Queenslander
11-11-07, 09:18 AM
The problem with consulting his parents is that Walker's mum, Vera, is a Queenslander. His dad, Michael, comes from NSW.

Listen to your mother Shannon! As we all know....mum knows best ;)

Robbie_Dee
11-11-07, 09:48 AM
Looking too far into the future IMO, I know it's the off season, and theres jack all news to talk about, but he hasn't even played First Grade yet! Secondly, why does he not know who he WANTS to play with, dunno how you can sit on the fence with this one.

Anyway, I'd claim him as a QLD'er anyday! :woot:

HodgoBerro
11-11-07, 10:43 AM
i wonder if the possibilty of both the qld & nsw selectors would pick him and he had to decide that way

Titanium_BD1103
11-11-07, 10:46 AM
I reckon he needs a season first before any state thinks about it... but if he impresses, then NSW will pounce... depending on where he plays, but our backline is in need of future talent more than QLD's is.... ;)

But as I said, give him a chance to prove his worth in FG first, I know he will, but you just gotta let him grow into football, he is going to be great, but one step at a time.

Cowboy Titan
11-11-07, 12:21 PM
His 100 metre time is amazing for a 16 year old. Considering that sprinters don't seem to peak until their mid to late 20's, how fast could he go?

DIEHARD
11-11-07, 01:42 PM
Pick Queensland! It's a while off, but that won't stop the QRL and NSWRL making plans.

But he should really think about it and represent where his heart lays.

hugebrianfan
11-11-07, 04:32 PM
HE runs 100m in 10.56secs. He is rated the quickest player to grace a rugby league field in 20 years.

gees this guy is fast.

Kelvinator
11-11-07, 06:03 PM
it will be shame cause qld will pick him first. nsw selectors will still be using the same wingers and fullback that are running around now in 10 years time, they hate picking any new talent. qld on the other hand aren't afraid to blood young players.

it will be a real pity, he should be in a sky blue jumper.

Old Diehard
11-11-07, 06:13 PM
it will be shame cause qld will pick him first. nsw selectors will still be using the same wingers and fullback that are running around now in 10 years time, they hate picking any new talent. qld on the other hand aren't afraid to blood young players.

BEAT UP STORY- he played U16's in NSW and he qualifies for NSW ...He may have played Qld Residents this year because he was in the Qld Cup (Qld Residents /Q Cup team flogged the combined NSW's Premier & Jesery Flegg Team this year )...but he's gone just the same way Ryan Hoffman played for Queensland but had his first game in ACT/ NSW Country as a 16 year old .

non-event!

dee13
11-11-07, 06:16 PM
I watched about 8 games that this kid played in last year. He made the defence look like amatures. I have seen him making breaks in full flight, score a try and not even break a sweat or look exhausted. One of the only reasons he didn't play, in the NRL, last year was because he didn't have enough size. He needed the off season in the gym to bulk up a bit.

I can't wait to see him in action. I will predict that his rise to fame will be fast provided he doesn't get injured.

Kelvinator
11-11-07, 08:05 PM
BEAT UP STORY- he played U16's in NSW and he qualifies for NSW ...He may have played Qld Residents this year because he was in the Qld Cup (Qld Residents /Q Cup team flogged the combined NSW's Premier & Jesery Flegg Team this year )...but he's gone just the same way Ryan Hoffman played for Queensland but had his first game in ACT/ NSW Country as a 16 year old .

non-event!

he played under 18s and 2 years of first grade in NSW. under 18s is classed as senior footy in NSW and this is what counts come origin time, where you played your first senior footy. agree that this is just a beat up story by a QLD journo. Inglis qualified for QLD because he played he's first senior footy up here when Norths bought him up from kempsey.

hugebrianfan
11-11-07, 08:09 PM

yeah nsw have a bit of a habit of picking the same players every year! why do they not be like qld and take chances and risks. I know the state of origin is a big thing but yeah why not take a risk every now and then?

eelectrica
11-11-07, 08:13 PM
If the eligibility rules states he's a Blue, then he's a blue.
The guild lines have to be followed until they decide to amend them.

PS. Just to clarify I'm a Queenslander and support QLD at Origin time.

hugebrianfan
11-11-07, 08:15 PM
If the eligibility rules states he's a Blue, then he's a blue.
The guild lines have to be followed until they decide to amend them.

PS. Just to clarify I'm a Queenslander and support QLD at Origin time.

and just to clarify to all of you Im a Nsw supporter and i support nsw at origin time ;):D

Old Diehard
11-11-07, 08:26 PM
he played under 18s and 2 years of first grade in NSW. under 18s is classed as senior footy in NSW and this is what counts come origin time, where you played your first senior footy. agree that this is just a beat up story by a QLD journo. Inglis qualified for QLD because he played he's first senior footy up here when Norths bought him up from kempsey.

Exactly my friend!

Steve
11-11-07, 08:54 PM
It shouldn't even be a choice. It's State of Origin. That said, if that was the case, I should probably have a New Zealand passport living in Queensland!

That said, it hardly matters. He'll never get picked. Ask Matty Bowen. Ask Presto.

He's too small.

Old Diehard
11-11-07, 08:59 PM
He's too small.

Not so sure Steve - this young Shannon Walker really does have more toe than a roman sandal!

His try in the Q Cup Grand Final was pretty amazing!

The Kid is a speedstar!

Steve
11-11-07, 09:06 PM
Not so sure Steve - this young Shannon Walker really does have more toe than a roman sandal!

His try in the Q Cup Grand Final was pretty amazing!

The Kid is a speedstar!

Don't get me wrong, I believe he has the talent, and if he continues to perform more than deserves an origin spot!

But then, So did Matt Bowen this year.

Old Diehard
11-11-07, 09:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I believe he has the talent, and if he continues to perform more than deserves an origin spot!

But then, So did Matt Bowen this year.

I agree - but the Queensland Team is that good right now with outside backs! I like Matty Bowen and my youngest son thinks he's the best player (the Kid never saw Wally!) but I'm a real fan of Greg Inglis (not just as a player but he seemed to be a good person too!) and now you have Shannon Walker ! Great stuff for Rugby League and shows how sporting our Indigneous Players are! I think that is great for Rugby League!@