PDA

View Full Version : NZRL in crisis

DIEHARD
08-11-07, 09:52 AM
Kiwis' foundation built for failure

At a time fans needed them the most, the Kiwis have put in three of the worst performances in recent history to continue New Zealand's horror sporting year.

With the All Blacks' quarter-final exit from the World Cup still fresh in everyone's minds the Kiwis had a chance to restore some sporting pride in the name of their country.

But so far they've done just the opposite in 2007 and what has happened both on and off the field has set the sport back years on an international level.

It's not just the players who are to blame - the trouble starts from the top with a flawed management structure and questionable moves at the head coaching position over the past season.

Since NZRL chairman Andrew Chalmers and director of football Graham Lowe have come into the picture the sport has only declined at test level.

And this dramatic turn has come after the Kiwis' best ever season in 2005 when they took out the Tri-Nations in emphatic fashion over Australia.

Speaking to ONE News this week, Lowe said something that really had me shaking my head. I couldn't believe my ears.

When asked what he thought of coach Gary Kemble's current predicament Lowe said:

"I think he looks out of his depth as well to me at the moment, but all coaches know you either sink or swim.

"You all get out of your depth at some stage but that's inexperience that's all that that is."

Come again Graham. Did you really just say that?

I was under the impression that this was test rugby league, not under 16s club football.

So an admission that our country's "premier" coach doesn't know what he's doing. All Lowe's comments really proved was how much strife the future of the Kiwis is really in.

People can talk up the fact that the players have lost a sense of pride in the jersey and aren't playing with passion, but I don't buy into that.

Playing test football for your country will always inspire passion, that's a given - but in the Kiwis case players have been set-up for failure right from the start.

Another excuse I've heard is that Kemble isn't at fault for the Kiwis dreadful run because it's up to the boys on the field to perform on the day.

Even though there is a raft of players not available (which I'll go into later) there is a lot of raw talent out on the field.

But it seems they don't know what to do when it comes down to it, and that is a direct reflection of leadership.

It is the coach's responsibility to prepare players both physically and mentally for games, a critical ingredient that the newest batch of Kiwis isn't getting.

That lack of preparation translates directly to the field and just like that you get a 58-0 blowout.

The trouble started when Brian McClennan "resigned" to pursue the coaching position with the Leeds Rhinos in the UK Super League.

At the time McClennan had said he would be happy to continue coaching the Kiwis from abroad, an option that was shot down by the NZRL.

What a foolish move that was.

McClennan had brought the Kiwis back to the fore as a formidable and respected opponent.

It just shows what an intelligent coach Bluey was in how quickly it has all fallen to pieces now that he's gone.

While losing by 58 points to Australia was a shock, at least there was comfort in the fact that the Kangaroos were a top side.

The same can't be said for Great Britain.

Losing the first test 14-20, it seemed there was still hope for the Kiwis.

But those hopes were shattered last week then New Zealand was thrashed 44-0 by a very average side.

One thing that is in Kemble's defence is the pool of top-choice players has reduced drastically in the past two seasons.

With retired players like Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki and Nigel Vagana and injuries to Sonny Bill Williams, Brent Webb, Benji Marshall, Jerome Ropati and Krisnan Inu, Kemble has been denied half a starting line-up.

But there is still a high-class list of guys waiting in the wings that haven't got their shot, and probably should have.

I'm talking about the likes of Ali Lauititi, Jake Webster, Iafeta Paleaasina and even Matt Utai.

Those are just some of the guys that seem to have gone under Kemble's radar.

The Kiwis have now scored just 14 points and haemorrhaged 122 in just three games under Kemble.

And for the immediate future it looks like the Kiwis will remain flightless in the world of test rugby league barring a miracle.

A disturbingly long list of recent personnel the Kiwis are sorely missing:

Brian McClennan
Stacey Jones
Ruben Wiki
Brent Webb
Nigel Vagana
Benji Marshall
Sonny Bill Williams
Krisnan Inu
Nathan Cayless
Jason Cayless
David Kidwell
Ali Lauititi
Jerome Ropati
David Fa'alogo
Iafeta Paleaaesina
Motu Tony
Jake Webster
Matt Utai

www.tvnz.co.nz

Coaster
08-11-07, 08:31 PM
They need McClennan at the helm.

Kiwis have some of the best talent in the world at there disposal, all they need is a simple game plan, and the passion they use against a Australia in every game.

He did this for them.

It's a shame that so much money is spent on rah rah over there, and they dont have the brains to get behind a code that will suit NZ to the ground, in that they have the size and skill if coached right to be the world champions.

RL was built for big Kiwis, but they too busy blaming each other, instead of putting the one man that wants the job, and would do it well, and doing anything for him to get results.

DIEHARD
11-11-07, 01:38 PM
NZRL chairman Andrew Chalmers to face challenge for job

Under-fire NZRL chairman Andrew Chalmers could face moves to oust him at the next board meeting on December 5.

The NZRL boss has been a controversial figure since replacing Selwyn Bennett as chairman 12 months ago and could face a vote of no-confidence when he returns to New Zealand after the present Kiwis tour.

Chalmers brought about significant constitutional change earlier this year, ushering in a new board of nine members (six elected and three independents) and it's understood there is growing disquiet within that board. It would take a 75 per cent majority to achieve change.

While Chalmers' inflammatory comments in recent weeks about Australia, Adrian Morley and the judiciary have drawn criticism, it is the game's financial position that has caused the greatest concern.

Last year, the NZRL lost more than $500,000 and another loss of $500,000 to $700,000 is likely this financial year. Their present spending is believed to be more than $4 million, though Chalmers would not confirm that. Chalmers came under fire when delegates quizzed him about finances ahead of the test against Australia in Wellington.

"He got asked some fairly hard questions because people weren't happy with him," Auckland Rugby League chairman Cameron McGregor said. "The districts have been quite animated on this.

"Andrew is doing some pretty good things but can the game afford it? We really want assurances that the NZRL finances are in order. He promised to get back to us but that hasn't happened. I'm sure there are going to be further questions at the next board meeting. Unless he comes up with some answers, his position will be on the line.

"It's up to the directors to make sure everything is going OK and we have reminded them of their responsibilities. If they decide to take some action, then it is the democratic process working."

Chalmers was relaxed about his position last week and wasn't expecting a challenge at the next board meeting.

"I have certainly not had any issues raised with me from anyone on the board," he said. "These type of comments are no different from what I have heard for the last five years and what I heard around the reform process, the constitutional changes and the competitions structure which was unanimously adopted by all of the districts.

"I'm passionate about rugby league and that passion hasn't waned. Whether I'm chairman of the NZRL or supporting grassroots football, I'm going to be involved in the game. I'm not going anywhere. It's not in my nature to give up."

Apart from sponsorship and broadcasting deals as well as gaming money, the only aspect of the game that makes money for the NZRL is the Kiwis. Last year's Tri Nations, for example, brought in $1 million.

Domestic programmes are a heavy burden on finances and a big reason why the Bartercard Cup was dropped. The NZRL are pinning their hopes on next year's State of Origin format, called Kiwi Roots, to be a good earner.

NZ Herald

DIEHARD
11-11-07, 01:43 PM
Wanted - NZ leader to limit damage on tour debacle

A radio interview with the captain Roy Asotasi exposed the consensus of the team that "Gary is not experienced at international level". How can the captain make such an admission and expect anyone to have confidence in the team's ability to turn their fortunes around for this morning's third test, let alone improve relations between the team and coach in time for the World Cup in 12 months?

It makes you wonder who is controlling anything within the team set-up and on tour. No one, including the chairman, has been seen to pull this together and become the voice of the team.

The chairman has been spouting off since his arrival in Britain. The captain is expressing sentiments on behalf of the players and, unfortunately, the coach is copping the backlash. The views expressed conflict with the Andrew Chalmers' statement that the board has the full confidence in the coach and he will see out his contract.

Kemble is doing the best he can to pull this together and it is no wonder he has uttered the word "resigning".

The whole tour has become a public relations disaster. Is it too late to change the perception?

It is going to take more than a win today against a confident British team, to instil confidence in the public, where everyone is making judgment by what is emerging in the media.

In this case the media cannot be blamed. I have heard full interviews with the expressions declared openly. At the end of this tour there should not only be a review of the coach and his alleged shortcomings, but on everything from players and their attitudes, the chairman and his rash behaviour, and the board who have allowed this to happen.

There does not seem to be a leader here to handle the situation directly. That person would seek the board's views via telephone conference and decide on action. Then it would be up to the chairman to pull the coaching staff together and tell them to talk only of football related matters.

The players are to be given the same instruction. Then it is for the chairman to state that any issues will be discussed at the appropriate time after the tour. Leadership is required, but is it too late?

NZ Herald

DIEHARD
11-11-07, 01:52 PM
OK so the NZRL are cash strapped. And Test football and the Kiwis are their major earner.

So what is the excuse for the lacklustre level of promotion and advertising of the Wellington Test between New Zealand and Australia.

There was acres of empty seats, so much lost revenue.

They need to learn how to sell out or at least get healthy crowds at those Tests to have any foundation for growth.

It bothers me that the third biggest rugby league nation is in the red.

Don't they get any government support?