PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Cross: Titans 'can make top four'

Queenslander
05-11-07, 06:26 PM
Titans 'can make top four'

November 05, 2007

GOLD Coast recruit Matthew Cross has boldly declared the Titans can make the NRL top four if they enjoy a good run with injuries in 2008.

The former Penrith prop was one of several new faces at the club's pre-season two-day training camp starting today at Casuarina Beach Resort near Kingscliff on the northern NSW coast.

The Titans were on the verge of securing a finals berth in their inaugural season this year before a shocking run of injuries wrecked their hopes and they faded to finish 12th.

They have signed Cross, former Parramatta forward Aaron Cannings, wingers Ben Jeffrey and Brenton Bowen and ex-Bulldogs hooker Billy Ngawini to add size and speed to their player list.

The club has lost Kiwi international Jake Webster (Hull KR), winger Lelea Paea (rugby), utility Matt Hilder (Newcastle) and veteran David Myles (retired).

"This season we've got more depth in the forwards in particular so if we have injuries I know we'll still be able to perform," said Cross, whose wife Jodie is expecting their first child in two weeks.

"If we do the same as what we did this year, and maybe win some of those games we just lost and stay injury-free, then I really do think we can make the top four."

AAP

hugebrianfan
05-11-07, 06:37 PM
well i think that the titans will go really well next year..this year they did good but it was only their first year in the comp..it'll be good to see how they go

Kelvinator
05-11-07, 08:19 PM
Here is the rest of that article.

Gold Coast recruit Matthew Cross has boldly declared the Titans can make the NRL top four if they enjoy a good run with injuries in 2008.

The former Penrith prop was one of several new faces at the club's pre-season two-day training camp starting on Monday at Casuarina Beach Resort near Kingscliff on the northern NSW coast.

The Titans were on the verge of securing a finals berth in their inaugural season this year before a shocking run of injuries wrecked their hopes and they faded to finish 12th.

They have signed Cross, former Parramatta forward Aaron Cannings, wingers Ben Jeffrey and Brenton Bowen and ex-Bulldogs hooker Billy Ngawini to add size and speed to their player list.

The club has lost Kiwi international Jake Webster (Hull KR), winger Lelea Paea (rugby), utility Matt Hilder (Newcastle) and veteran David Myles (retired).

"This season we've got more depth in the forwards in particular so if we have injuries I know we'll still be able to perform," said Cross, whose wife Jodie is expecting their first child in two weeks.

"If we do the same as what we did this year, and maybe win some of those games we just lost and stay injury-free, then I really do think we can make the top four."

While delighted with the club's depth for 2008, coach John Cartwright was reluctant to make any predictions.

"We've got 12 months under our belt and we're going to be better as a side," he told reporters.

"We don't have to start right back from scratch. There's a lot to like but it's a tough competition and like everyone else we're looking at ways to improve.

"The biggest area we have improved is our depth. We've got 35 guys here and most of them have played first grade at some stage."

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle has mapped out a three-year plan for the Titans to qualify for the finals and expects them to finish between sixth and 10th next year.

"I think we're a better side across the park," he commented.

"We've got more speed and we know each other's games a bit better.

"We won't be out muscled in the forwards like we were in a few games this year."

The signs are already promising for the Titans leading into their second year in the NRL.

Cannings won the forwards' sprint race on Monday, clocking an impressive five seconds flat over 40m - just 0.3 seconds slower than electric fullback Shannon Walker.
Cartwright said he expected Junior Kangaroo Walker, the Queensland Cup player of the year, to get a taste of first grade next year.

"He's definitely got the ability," the coach noted.

"He's got the pedigree. I'd be surprised if he didn't play first grade at some stage."

Last year the Titans were forced to deal with the dramatic departures of Brian Carney, Frank Puletua and Steve Turner, who were all granted releases before a ball was even kicked.

Nearing 2008, the only hiccup is the possible exit of winger Matt Petersen, who has attracted the interest of several English clubs, in particular Wakefield.

Petersen, who comes off contract with the Titans at the end of next year, has been granted time off training to captain the USA in a World Cup qualifier against Samoa in England on November 9.

"He was our leading try-scorer this year so we'd be reluctant to let him go but at the same token if there's a big-money contract on offer then it'd be hard not to let him go," Searle said.

? 2007 AAP

that time by cannings is ultra fast for a forward he's size, especially first week of offseason training.

PROMETHEUS
05-11-07, 08:32 PM
I like Mattys confidence,he was awesome for Penriff last year but didnt get enough game time...should be a selection headache for Carty next year with our forwards!

hugebrianfan
05-11-07, 08:34 PM
yeah i have a feeling titans will have a good year..

GO THE TITANS!