Queenslander
01-11-07, 03:24 PM
MacGill and Hogg in Aussie team
By staff writers
November 01, 2007 02:46pm

* MacGill and Hogg named in Aussie Test team
* Phil Jaques to take Justin Langer's place
* Speedsters Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Tait named

SPINNERS Brad Hogg and Stuart MacGill were both named today in an expanded Australian squad of 13 for the first Test against Sri Lanka at the Gabba next week.

The national selectors faced a difficult choice between the Test-proven MacGill and the in-form Hogg, and have decided to reserve their judgment until they can observe the pair in the lead-up to the first day of the match next Thursday.

Deciding to choose 13 players rather than the traditional 12 is a move the selection panel has made numerous times in the past, notably before the corresponding Test against England at the beginning of last summer when Stuart Clark, Shaun Tait and Mitchell Johnson were competing for one pace bowling spot.

Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said he wanted to see all 13 players together and training in Brisbane conditions before making a final decision.

"Stuart MacGill is an excellent leg-spinner with a great record for Australia and Brad Hogg, despite having limited four-day experience due to his outstanding one-day record, is coming off a very strong performance for Western Australia in the Pura Cup,'' Hilditch said today.

"Having both of them in the squad gives us the opportunity again to assess the conditions and decide upon what selection is best.''

Shaun Tait squeezed in ahead of Ben Hilfenhaus as the fourth fast bowling member of the squad following his strong recovery from elbow surgery, as emphasised by his dismissal of Ricky Ponting with a vicious short ball in the Pura Cup yesterday.

As expected, New South Welshman Phil Jaques was chosen to replace the retired Justin Langer as Matthew Hayden's opening partner.

Australian Test squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Stuart Clark, Michael Clarke, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hogg, Michael Hussey, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Stuart MacGill, Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait (12th and 13th men tba).

www.foxsports.com.au

Super Cronk
09-11-07, 08:21 PM
Watching the cricket the past couple of days....and i got a question...

is that sri lankan bolwers name Muralitharan or muralidaran?? Nine have it spelt with the "D".....

hugebrianfan
09-11-07, 08:25 PM

is that sri lankan bolwers name Muralitharan or muralidaran?? Nine have it spelt with the "D".....

Love the cricket but have no idea..

WAIT!

has it started??

C-Whiz
10-11-07, 07:10 AM

It's "Chuck" to his mates.

Titanium_BD1103
10-11-07, 04:06 PM

On the cricket show today, it says he wants it spelt with the D, so it's Muralidaran... ;)

hugebrianfan
10-11-07, 04:47 PM
I watched like 5 minutes of the cricket today before i went and read some of my andrew Johns book

Steelers
17-11-07, 04:36 PM
Went to Day 2 of this game. The little crowd that was there was very vocal. Hussey and Clarke managed to bore everyone to death. Symonds woke us all up. We managed to sneak into the Fanatics section for half the day, awesome fun.