PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Laurie Daley appointed Country coach

Queenslander
29-10-07, 04:19 PM
Laurie Daley appointed Country coach

October 29, 2007 - 3:26PM

Former Australia, NSW and Country five-eighth Laurie Daley has been appointed as coach of the NSW Country Origin rugby league team for its annual clash with City next year.

Daley will take over the position from Craig Bellamy, who was recently promoted to the NSW State of Origin coaching job.

Daley, who played 23 State of Origin matches for NSW during a stellar playing career and was the Blues assistant coach from 2002-06, said he was looking forward to the challenge of his first senior head coaching role.

"It's an honour to coach the Country side," Daley said in a statement.

"I have fond memories of playing for Country and it was always a proud moment to pull the jersey on."

"To be coaching the side, particularly during the game's centenary year, is very exciting and I'm just honoured to be given the opportunity."

Next season's City v Country Origin match is scheduled for May 2 at Wollongong's WIN Stadium.

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/laurie-d...5129-16vb.html

Social Loafer
29-10-07, 04:51 PM
Alan Tongue and Todd Carney's odds of playing country origin just shortened dramatically!

Kelvinator
29-10-07, 05:19 PM
So did any eligible dragons players!

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-10-07, 06:03 PM
Bloody Oath, if their in form.

Capital_Shark
29-10-07, 06:05 PM
Bloody Oath, if their in form.

haha, Daley? Bugger form. If they're in a red and white kit and not injured they're a cert!

hugebrianfan
29-10-07, 06:29 PM
oh god help us

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-10-07, 07:16 PM
haha, Daley? Bugger form. If they're in a red and white kit and not injured they're a cert

Haha, i know i know, but it woudn't just let me post bloody oath, so i put a less biased view on the end. :rolf:

jenny
29-10-07, 07:46 PM
Daley eyes Blues State of Origin job

October 29, 2007

Rugby league legend Laurie Daley won't rule out a future step up to the Blues' State of Origin job after scoring his first head coaching position with NSW Country.

The former Australia, NSW and Country captain, who was part of Canberra's triple premiership-winning era, was announced as the Country Origin mentor for the clash with City next May in Wollongong.

Asked whether the Country job was a one-off, Daley told AAP: "Oh no. I think definitely no NRL coaching but as far as representative football, you never know where it may lead to.

"But first thing's first. I just want to make sure that the Country side is very passionate about playing for Country and be as well prepared as they possibly can."

Daley, 38, was involved with the Blues as an assistant coach for five years between 2002-06.

He has also worked as coaching consultant for the Raiders and St George Illawarra.

An NRL position was made impossible, however, by Daley recently leaving his commentary job at Fox Sports for a five-year deal with the Nine Network.

A statement from the CRL said Nine had supported Daley in the Country appointment.

"It's not something that I've thought long and hard about, getting into the coaching side of things on a day-to-day level," he said.

"But this certainly whets my appetite as far as that desire that you have to sort of pass on your knowledge to players, it gives you a great opportunity to do that.

"This is just a step into coaching Country in the 100th year of the game, a great opportunity to be involved in the representative side of things.

"I'm very excited about going to work for Channel Nine next year but Country were looking for a coach and when it was offered it was a great opportunity to do it."

The Country and City jobs are considered two of the toughest in rugby league, with players thrown together at short notice for a fixture which has had its value questioned in a hectic season.

"You know that before you get into it so there's no dramas there," Daley said.

He said his players' passion for the jersey could be stirred by reminding them what was at stake.

"It's a combination of realising that you've got an important role to play representing people from the country," he said.

"You also know that there's positions for State of Origin and Australia up for grabs.

"And it's also about your own personal performance, every time you go out there and play, to show people you can handle the step up in class.

"I used to love it ... and just the fact that it was always a bit of a stepping stone to maybe going somewhere else and playing Origin."

Or, perhaps, coaching it.

? 2007 AAP

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-10-07, 08:47 PM
Dazley, you just got the country gig, give it a day before you push for promotion.

hugebrianfan
30-10-07, 08:25 AM
Dazley, you just got the country gig, give it a day before you push for promotion.

yeah concerntrate on one team at a time..