PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis want Wayne Bennett

Queenslander
29-10-07, 04:16 PM
New Zealand legend sends out SOS to Broncos coach

James Phelps
October 29, 2007 07:28am

KIWI legend Hugh McGahan has called on Wayne Bennett to be New Zealand's World Cup saviour after the Kiwis crashed to another bad loss.

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5724117,00.jpg

McGahan declared the Broncos coach would be the ideal man to lead the Kiwis into next year's centenary celebrations after a horror month for New Zealand rugby league has placed coach Gary Kemble's job in doubt.

"Wayne Bennett got a bit of a taste of it with the All Golds thing and he would be great if he was willing to do it," McGahan said.

"I think we have to give Gary to the end of the tour and then make an assessment on whether he has what it takes to continue."

After suffering a record 58-0 loss to Australia in Wellington a fortnight ago, the Kiwis went down 20-14 to an under-strength British Lions outfit at the Galpharm Stadium in Huddersfield.

McGahan revealed that the little-known Kemble had failed to earn the respect of the New Zealand team after the departure of popular coach Brian McClennan.

The former Roosters back-rower said New Zealand officials should target a coach with NRL experience, such as former Kangaroos coach Bennett, if Kemble failed over the next month.

"We're 12 months away from the World Cup and given time they can be competitive but they aren't looking that flash at the moment," McGahan said.

"It has been fairly evident that the player haven't liked the change and the new coach has been up against it.

"Having an NRL coach can go for you or against you, but Roy Asotasi has said Gary doesn't have the NRL experience where the players have come from, with a higher level of experience. "That in itself is probably saying the players are a little bit cautious and wary of his lack of experience.

"I think the players need to give Gary some time and buy into what he is trying to do, but if that doesn't work by the end of the tour, then there should be some discussion and review from the powers that be about some change."

McGahan anointed Bennett as the ideal man to lead the Kiwis to next year's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

"His name alone is enough to make players sit up and take notice," McGahan said.

"His presence demands it. He is one of the biggest names in league and he would be great."

The New Zealand Rugby League would have to overturn a rule that bans people not living in New Zealand from coaching the national team.

Kemble said after yesterday's loss that he was impressed with his side's improvement after the Wellington massacre.

"We have improved out of sight in the last seven or eight days and we will improve from this," he said.

Former Kiwi halfback Gary Freeman is confident the Kiwis can regroup but criticised the side's effort against the Lions.

"I think they need to support the coach after just two games, not get rid of him," Freeman said. "But they need to fix their defence around the ruck, because Great Britain really exposed them.

"They need to get off their line quicker and pick up their effort."

www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
29-10-07, 05:09 PM
Wayne would be a fantastic Kiwi coach but I can't see him coaching against Australia, but he is a keen internationalist.

PROMETHEUS
29-10-07, 08:12 PM
I guess after having Nathen Fien play for them,an Aussie coach wouldnt be a problem.

hugebrianfan
30-10-07, 08:28 AM
it'd probably be good for wayne.

I wonder if the kiwis can make him smile :D

DIEHARD
12-11-07, 11:52 AM
League great Laurie Daley says NZ needs Wayne Bennett

FORMER Australian captain Laurie Daley has joined the push for Wayne Bennett to coach New Zealand at next year's Rugby League World Cup.

Britain secured a three-nil series cleansweep over a hapless New Zealand after coming back from 12-0 down early to score a 28-22 third Test victory at JJB Stadium, Wigan.
Under-siege NZ coach Gary Kemble claimed his men had almost won a Test series despite the aggregate score of 92-36 against them and pleaded not to be sacked.

But Daley believes Bennett would be invaluable to the Kiwi's World Cup campaign ? which is in tatters.

"I don't know Gary Kemble that well but the results aren't coming ? we expect more from New Zealand," Daley said. "New Zealand are going through a tough time and they have plenty of injuries but I think Wayne Bennett would do a terrific job with the Kiwis.

"Wayne coaching New Zealand would give the World Cup plenty of spice and colour.

"It would create more rivalry between Australia and New Zealand. Wayne also has a history with Australian coach Ricky Stuart.

"New Zealand will be the World Cup's sleeping giant ? they are more than capable of challenging for the tournament. At the moment they just aren't where we thought they'd be.

"England are improving and it would be great to have a couple of nations who can challenge for the World Cup."

Under pressure to keep his post for the World Cup, Kemble said: "I want the job.

"The New Zealand Rugby League are fully behind me, they know what's going on.

"It's disappointing to lose the series but the players are tight. Everything we do, we do together. They've got stronger as individuals on this tour. The World Cup ? New Zealand have never won it and that is what our ultimate goal is."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/