PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Qualifer: Samoa v USA

DIEHARD
24-10-07, 11:24 PM
The United States will be ?word-perfect? prepared for their clash with Samoa in a 2008 World Cup qualifying match against Samoa at Widnes on 9 November this year.

USA will now be coached by Penrith NRL coach Matthew Elliott and he will have first hand data on what to expect from a star-studded Samoan line-up.

Penrith forwards Tony and Frank Puletua will strip for Samoa alongside newly appointed captain Nigel Vagana, Ali Lauitiiti, Willie Talau, Kylie and Phil Leuluai.

This is a do-or-die clash for Samoa having lost to Tonga last year, 18-10. If they win, Samoa will play off for the 10th and final spot in the 2008 line-up.

The physically stronger Samoa team must beat the USA to have any chance of claiming the 10th and final spot in the tournament. But the USA won?t be a pushover.

Gold Coast winger Matt Petersen will lead the USA.

http://www.rlwc08.com/

quins rl
25-10-07, 05:17 PM
Good luck to both sides,but for me thats everything thats wrong with international league,how many of those guys have played for the Kiwis??,suddenly they find their Samoan heritage,where were they for the other qualifiers?? Bet the Americans(who are pulling in a couple of stars as well) must be gutted to see they will be facing a virtual NRL side??:nope:

Kelvinator
25-10-07, 05:27 PM
i think it is more of a disgrace to nzrl. They seem to think anyone that is even slightly polynesian should be allowed to play for them. nz team should change their name to polynesian kiwis.

quins rl
05-11-07, 05:23 PM
The USA side got a 70-0 thrashing at the hands of Cumbria at the weekend in what was basically a Cumbrian side made up of NL1/2 players.Not sure yet either way if the yanks played their NRL players,im assuming not by the score,but they could be on a real hiding against Samoa if that score is anything to go by!!

quins rl
06-11-07, 10:01 AM
Seems like the USA did have all their "stars" playing,will need a massive turnaround not to be on the end of a tonking by the Samoans at the weekend!
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/viewarticle.aspx?id=561207

Steve
06-11-07, 12:55 PM
Definitely highlights the problems with eligibility. That said, I think these guys are allowed to play for the smaller nations in addition to Australia/NZ/whoever to help boost the strength and experience in the smaller teams.

Frank Puletua has played more for Samoa than NZ (not sure if he has played for NZ actually), yet both brothers could possibly be eligible for NSW in Origin because that's where they first played their footy.

All that aside, looks like the USA team got a huge thumping, and goes to show the gulf in playing standards when a county side can hand out such a thumping. A couple NRL players aren't going to bolster the team enough to compete. Samoa should win, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised by an upset.

DIEHARD
06-11-07, 02:53 PM
Someone must stop the Samoan jugganaut! I want Wales to qualify!