September 20 - 21
Home City Semi Finals Week Two
September 27 - 28
Home Region Preliminary Finals Week Three
Sunday, October 5
Grand Final

DIEHARD
18-10-07, 11:35 PM
Bit of a pre-emptive thread here. I think we can expect some great innovations in next year's draw that will add to the competition and the crowds.

It will be fantastic to see all Queensland teams play each other twice and other rivalries being maximised.

Social Loafer
18-10-07, 11:35 PM
Can't wait for this, really hoping to get a Gold Coast Away match in the first 5 weeks. Would leave plenty of time for planning/get the good deal on airfares.

I assume it's still 12 home and away matches per a side?

HodgoBerro
18-10-07, 11:37 PM
hurry up! gotta plan my trip to un zed!

DIEHARD
18-10-07, 11:41 PM
Can't wait for this, really hoping to get a Gold Coast Away match in the first 5 weeks. Would leave plenty of time for planning/get the good deal on airfares.

Yea good point, we had a lot of you Raidah fans up here this year, I think next year the Gold Coast and Skilled Park will be a very attractive combination to fans.

Social Loafer
18-10-07, 11:43 PM
Yea good point, we had a lot of you Raidah fans up here this year, I think next year the Gold Coast and Skilled Park will be a very attractive combination to fans.

Always had good support in QLD, the fact that we aren't a Sydney Club means less hatred.

In the ideal world I'd get away matches against the Gold Coast and Brisbane in consecutive weeks. Then I could make it a week long holiday.

Will never happen though.

PROMETHEUS
18-10-07, 11:46 PM
Its also a good reason to stay away from Canberra even longer :p

Social Loafer
18-10-07, 11:50 PM

Your mob is welcome to play us down here every week :p

DIEHARD
18-10-07, 11:52 PM
Your mob is welcome to play us down here every week :p

Now that is very hurtful. :cry:

HodgoBerro
18-10-07, 11:54 PM

is woodstock pizza still there in the city?
man sooo tasty!

cant wait till HB's roadtrip!

Social Loafer
18-10-07, 11:57 PM
Now that is very hurtful. :cry:

"Can we play you every week? ":laugh:

At least you didn't have to see that in person. :laugh:
This year I saw my side cop it's 2nd worst defeat in history. :duh:
Would have been the worst if 1982 had 4 point tries

p.s. Woodstock is still here.

RLfan
19-10-07, 02:43 PM
Well I think I know some matches that are on:

Friday Round 1 will have Cowboys vs. Broncos at Suncorp plus the premiers vs. someone (storm vs. ?) at Olympic Park and also we have the good Friday clash between the Broncos and the Roosters at the SFS. Anzac Day at 2.00pm will be the Roosters vs. St. George. They are all the givens I could work out.

DIEHARD
19-10-07, 03:04 PM
I think the 2008 draw will throw up some surprises.

HodgoBerro
19-10-07, 03:26 PM
Well I think I know some matches that are on:

Friday Round 1 will have Cowboys vs. Broncos at Suncorp plus the premiers vs. someone (storm vs. ?) at Olympic Park and also we have the good Friday clash between the Broncos and the Roosters at the SFS. Anzac Day at 2.00pm will be the Roosters vs. St. George. They are all the givens I could work out.

no because of the centenary of rugby league round 4 is derby round when the broncos play the cowboys

Queenslander
19-10-07, 06:50 PM
Note: I managed to get this off the NRL website.....it isn't actually on the main page yet ;)

The PDF file linked to this article does not work just yet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 SEASON DRAW ANNOUNCED

Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:19 PM

The National Rugby League will kick off the game’s Centenary season on March 14, 2008 with an opening round that features matches in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Round one sees the Eels against the Bulldogs, the Rabbitohs against the Roosters, Wests Tigers against the Dragons, the Sea Eagles against the Sharks, the Storm against the Warriors, the Knights against the Raiders, the Broncos against the Panthers and the Titans in their first premiership game at the new Skilled Park against the Cowboys.

The 2008 Telstra Premiership Draw released today will give fans the chance to celebrate the game’s Centenary milestones while also focusing on what promises to be one of the most gripping premiership races in history.

Melbourne’s bid for a second straight Premiership and a third consecutive Minor Premiership will face challenges from every quarter in a new look draw that introduces an extra ‘bye’ and increases the number of local derbies and marquee matches.

All Queensland teams will play each other twice and there has been an increase in the number of times Sydney teams will play each other in the same year.

One of the highlight rounds of the competition comes in Round 6 (April 18-21) as the game celebrates exactly 100 years since the first Premiership round in 1908.

The Heritage Round sees teams play in their ‘traditional’ strips as they are matched as closely as possible on the basis of the year their district first entered the premiership.

The round sees Wests Tigers v Souths; Roosters v Knights; Parramatta v Manly; Cowboys v Warriors; Bulldogs v Dragons; Cronulla v Penrith; Broncos v Titans; Raiders v Storm. The weekend will include a relay from Birchgrove Oval (one of the sites of the first games on April 20) to the Sydney Cricket Ground.

The 2008 draw sees City v Country played as part of Round 8 (May 2-4), while State of Origin will be played on May 21 (Telstra Stadium), June 11 (Suncorp Stadium) and July 2 (Telstra Stadium).

May 9 sees the Centenary Test between Australia and New Zealand, a match that will be played at the SCG 100 years to the day since New Zealand defeated Australia 11-10 in the first trans-Tasman Test.

It also caters for the annual ANZAC Day match on April 25 as well as a number of key requests by clubs to stage marquee matches including all three Queensland teams playing in Queensland during Round 3 to celebrate the Centenary of the formation of the Queensland league; the Bulldogs v the Roosters in Round 4 celebrating 70 years since their first Grand Final and the Roosters v Souths celebrating the first ever Premiership decider in Round 25 (won by Souths).

“There are games right through the draw that you just know you are going to want to be there to see,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“It’s going to be a special season for many reasons and we’ve ensured the draw highlights the game’s Centenary milestones, but it’s the week in and week out contests in a close competition that will drive fans to the games.

“There isn’t a team in the competition that won’t go into 2008 without believing it can make the finals and there are millions of fans who are wishing their campaign would start next week instead of March 14.”

The 2008 draw again delivers each club 12 home games and 12 away games but this time with two byes over 26 weeks.

Every team plays each other once to make up 15 of the 24 games.

The key change in 2008 is a move away from the previous ‘pool system’ that was used to determine the remaining nine matches.

Each club this year was asked to nominate the teams it would most want to play to attract the most fans, based on either traditional rivalry or on the basis of maximising attendance.

The draw has met at least the top four requests of each club and at least six of their top seven. In previous years these matches were determined on the basis of pools based solely on the finishing positions of the previous year.

“The new system should give fans a chance to see the matches they most want to see,” NRL Chief Operating Officer, Mr Graham Annesley, said today.

“It’s the first year we have tried this system and we’ve been able to meet the top choices of each club as well as cater for a large number of Centenary events.”

Download the full 2008 Telstra Premiership and representative season draw (pdf)

Source: NRL

Views: 1

Queenslander
19-10-07, 07:25 PM
Link to full NRL draw:

http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/docs/2008_TelstraPremiershipDraw.pdf

:woot:

Queenslander
19-10-07, 07:41 PM
First post is updated with draw info......The Gold Coast Titans forum is the first place to have the draw info available....tell your friends ;)

Old Diehard
19-10-07, 07:52 PM
mate your link- it's not happening and then i cut it and put in the search area..still nothing...Any ideas ! Tah!

Queenslander
19-10-07, 07:57 PM
mate your link- it's not happening and then i cut it and put in the search area..still nothing...Any ideas ! Tah!

Just go to the first post of this thread.....all the games and dates are there :)

Coaster
19-10-07, 07:59 PM
Just go to the first post of this thread.....all the games and dates are there :)

Great stuff Queenslander, you got the scoop everywhere, i just posted it on LU, and gave Titans website a link there for it

Queenslander
19-10-07, 08:00 PM
Great stuff Queenslander, you got the scoop everywhere, i just posted it on LU, and gave Titans website a link there for it

Gold Coast Titans Forum: The best Rugby League forum on the Internet

:clap:

Old Diehard
19-10-07, 08:09 PM
Sorry Queenslander - I got the NRL's home page but in the draw , i'm only getting 2007....I'm a novice with internet & searching etc!

Coaster
19-10-07, 08:11 PM
Sorry Queenslander - I got the NRL's home page but in the draw , i'm only getting 2007....I'm a novice with internet & searching etc!

Queenslander has edited the first post in this thread, just click on the start of the thread for it

Queenslander
19-10-07, 08:11 PM

Yeah don't check the NRL website yet......the information hasn't been posted there yet...I have got the scoop of the year ;)

But like i said check the first post of this thread :D

Old Diehard
19-10-07, 08:27 PM
Terrific!
At NQ on the week-end August 15-18!
and the Broncos at Skill the following week-end!

Thanks for the info Mate!

Social Loafer
19-10-07, 08:29 PM
Looks like my GC trip is now a good possibility.:clap:

HodgoBerro
19-10-07, 10:56 PM
boo yeah im going to nz and canberra!

jenny
20-10-07, 01:43 AM
NRL centenary starts with local derbies

October 19, 2007

Local derbies and historical sentiment will be the order of the first round as the NRL looks to kick off rugby league's centenary season with a bang.

The 2008 NRL draw has been revealed with a host of mouth-watering clashes in the opening round starting March 14.

The blockbuster clashes include Parramatta up against the Bulldogs, Wests Tigers versus St George Illawarra, Manly taking on Cronulla and the traditional South Sydney v Sydney Roosters clash.

Melbourne will kick-off their premiership defence against the New Zealand Warriors at Olympic Park.

The new-look draw will see an extra bye with the number of local derbies and marquee matches increased, the key change being a move away from the previous pool system.

Each club was asked to nominate which teams it would most want to play to attract the most fans, based on either traditional rivalry or on the basis of maximising attendance.

The top four requests of each club were met.

Features of the draw see all Queensland teams playing each other twice, and a Heritage round in round 6 as the game celebrates exactly 100 years since the first premiership game.

"It's going to be a special season for many reasons and we've ensured the draw highlights the game's centenary milestones, but it's the week in and week out contests in a close competition that will drive fans to the games," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"There isn't a team in the competition that won't go into 2008 without believing it can make the finals and there are millions of fans who are wishing their campaign would start next week instead of March 14."

? 2007 AAP

DIEHARD
20-10-07, 05:48 PM
NRL banks on derby clashes

The 2008 NRL premiership is set to kick off on March 14 with a clash between foundation clubs South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters at Telstra Stadium and end at the same venue 29 weeks later - possibly with a return to the traditional afternoon grand final.

After releasing the draw for the game's centenary season, NRL officials yesterday refused to rule out speculation the October 5 grand final would be played during the day.

A meeting of the NRL board next month will discuss whether to switch the kick-off from night time, but the fact daylight saving starts earlier in NSW next year is likely to be of significance, as it will not be dark at 7pm.

The change would also fit in with other acknowledgments of history as part of the code's year-long celebrations, which include the Centenary Test being played at the SCG 100 years to the day that New Zealand defeated Australia 11-10 in the first trans-Tasman international on May 9, 1908.

"There are two differences next year to other years - the centenary and that daylight saving starts the day before the grand final - but there has been absolutely no decision made as to whether those differences will have any impact on the outcome," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

"It's under review, like it is every other year, but it may well be that neither of those factors change the grand final kick-off time, because you've still got other factors like television to consider."
The scheduling of exact dates and times for matches next season is yet to be decided, but, as the only surviving stand-alone teams from 1908, it is almost certain the Rabbitohs and Roosters will open a season dominated by local derbies.

Having moved away from the previous pool system that was used to determine which teams each side played twice, the NRL asked clubs to nominate who they would most like to play to maximise attendances.

As a result, the nine Sydney clubs will play most of their rivals at home and away, the most notable exception being that St George Illawarra don't get to host the Rabbitohs or Manly or travel to Penrith.

"We were able to meet six out of each club's top seven requests so there are a few Sydney derbies that were missed but not many," Annesley said. "Put it this way, a much higher number of Sydney teams play each other home and away next season."

All three Queensland clubs - the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys - will play each other twice.

With Parramatta agreeing to take home games against the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers to Telstra Stadium and the Dragons hosting their five Sydney premiership games there, the former Olympic ground will be the venue for 34 NRL games next season as well as finals matches and State of Origins on May 21 and July 2.

Origin II will be played at Suncorp Stadium on June 11.

The first grand final rematch will be in round five at Olympic Park and the Storm and Sea Eagles will meet again in round 22 at Brookvale Oval.

A heritage round will be played from April 18-21 to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the first premiership round in 1908.

http://www.smh.com.au

Queenslander
31-10-07, 01:12 PM
Wests Tigers at the SCG

October 31, 2007

WESTS Tigers will play two home NRL games at the SCG in 2008 as part of the celebrations to mark the centenary of rugby league in Australia.

The Tigers will meet St George-Illawarra at the SCG in the opening round in March, before taking on traditional rivals South Sydney at the same venue six weeks later in the heritage round.

That was one of a several announcements made by the NRL club today, as it also revealed it had secured $3.5 million worth of sponsorship deals for the next two seasons.

While commemorating the centenary of rugby league, merger club West Tigers are labelling it a 200-year celebration, involving 100 years of foundation clubs Western Suburbs and Balmain.

AAP

Queenslander
22-01-08, 08:38 PM
Season 2008 Round six venue change

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 6:51 PM

The National Rugby League has detailed a change in venue for Round Six of the Telstra Premiership.

The venue for the Broncos v Titans match will be Skilled Stadium (previously scheduled at Suncorp Stadium) with the venue for the corresponding match in Round 24 between the two clubs now being Suncorp Stadium (previously scheduled as Skilled Stadium).

This change is due to scheduling restrictions at Suncorp Stadium during the Heritage Round weekend.

The full draw for Round Six will be released shortly.

Please also note that due to daylight saving the kick-off time for the Broncos versus Panthers match at Suncorp Stadium in Round One is 1.00pm Brisbane time and 2.00pm AEST. The match will be telecast live nationally on Fox Sports.

Source: NRL

Poida
27-01-08, 01:17 AM
An honour really to be a fan of the Titans first opposition at Robina. Will be a top game :).
Im hoping the Tigers v Cowboys game in a way is at Telstra due to the excessive beltings we cop at Campbelltown and Leichardt :p