PDA

View Full Version : The Chaser

Research Station Drive
30-11-05, 11:07 PM
Is anyone here a fan of the Chaser crew? The guys behind the old show CNNNN and Today Today on JJJ?

I went to the launch of their 2005 Annual at a bookshop tonight. It was pretty funny.

Julian and Chas were there, they gave a brief speech about the sedition laws and a few other topical items. They were at their funniest answering questions though - very quick and witty.

I bought a copy of the annual, it's gold as per usual.

I'd strongly recommend it as an Xmas present for anyone you know who enjoys a bit of Current Affairs and Satire.

They've got a new show coming out next year as well, I can't wait!

Super Cronk
30-11-05, 11:08 PM
i used to watch a few shows....some stuff is funny...but sometimes i find myself not laughing at their stuff.

SOLIOLA
01-12-05, 12:34 AM
There credits on the bottom are hillarious

Titanium_BD1103
01-12-05, 09:31 AM
Visit http://www.abc.net.au/broadband/cna/... there you will find a page with a link to the Chaser News Alert or CNA.. that was hillarious and only viewable if you had ABC Digital.. :(

They started putting it on the net on broadband now.. they run for 5 mins each.. if you let the media player run you can watch all the shows...:D

Sadly though Chris and Craig aren't involved in this show.. I think they are busy with Today Today on Triple J now.. so it is Chas and Julian who hold centre stage.. but still a very class act and hillarious.. :D :D

Research Station Drive
01-12-05, 09:40 AM
My favourite all time Chaser moment was when Chas dressed up as the paperclip from Microsoft Word and ran around asking people if they needed assistance with simple task.

"You look like you are making a phone call, would you like some help?"

"You look like you're trying to relax and unwind, would you like some help?"

:laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
01-12-05, 09:43 AM
That one was good.. I think this one was better though...

When they did the New Labor Campaign- Labor, Harder, Sexier.. :D :D

Oh and that great song...

Never been a leader so sexy, he's so God damn sexy
Crean, he's so hot
Crean, got the lot
Crean, love that bot
Look over there, its Bob Carr baby.. LOL.. :laugh: :laugh:

Steelers
01-12-05, 10:36 AM
I used to watch CNNNN, it was awesome :D

Titans#1
01-12-05, 10:38 AM
I'm still a huge fan of the Late Show.... That was awesome, I can watch that DVD over and over!
Political Comedy is the best.

Queenslander
01-12-05, 10:42 AM
CNNNN was a hilarious show, the political coverage was always the best :rotflmao:

The Original Idiot
01-12-05, 11:13 AM
My favourite all time Chaser moment was when Chas dressed up as the paperclip from Microsoft Word and ran around asking people if they needed assistance with simple task.

"You look like you are making a phone call, would you like some help?"

"You look like you're trying to relax and unwind, would you like some help?"

:laugh:
"It looks like you are trying to piss someone off. Would you like some help?"

Research Station Drive
01-12-05, 01:25 PM
I'm still a huge fan of the Late Show.... That was awesome, I can watch that DVD over and over!
Political Comedy is the best.

Is that the Champagne edition DVD?? It is bloody funny! The commentary from the guys is better than the show!

Titanium_BD1103
01-12-05, 09:48 PM
FOR all interested and who have not looked at a TV guide lately...;)

CNNNN is showing again on the ABC, well the reruns anywayz... 11:50pm Thursday Night.. yes that is tonight on ABC... :D :D

Titanium_BD1103
15-02-06, 09:41 AM
Hey all

Big news.. The Chaser Team are back... :)

Yes the whole team, well Charles Firth is gone but the rest are back... for a new series called.. The Chaser War on Everyone.. :D :D

It screens 9:30pm on Friday on ABC and is like CNNNN but will be less news and more about trying to educate us on the less known issues in our lives such as who is the Australian Democrats leader and which comes first: pizza, NRMA, Gorillacalls or admission into a hospital from an emergency ward.. :)

Looks like it is back to the best from the Chaser team and this sounds promising.. take a look.. I know I will be... :D :D

Eel 33
15-02-06, 11:19 AM
The new tv project maybe why they're not on nova at the weekends anymore.

Steve Dangerous
15-02-06, 01:39 PM
can't wait for this new show.

the boys got in trouble for asking one of the guys from the australian wheat board to sign a giant novelty check made out to saddam, outside the inquiry. hahaha.

Dakink
15-02-06, 02:00 PM
Today Today was terrible on triple JJJ though the rest were pretty good.

Steve Dangerous
15-02-06, 02:02 PM
i loved today today!

i thought that, sunday night saffran, and dave callans graveyard shift are the only good reasons to listen to radio these days lol.

Steelers
03-03-06, 04:19 PM
This show is good, don't miss it 2night ;)

Steve Dangerous
03-03-06, 06:24 PM
and don't miss ali g after it! last weeks was one of the best.

Social Loafer
03-03-06, 10:21 PM
Another top episode tonight, backsteet boys not knowing the capital of Australia and alternative tourism slogans were gold.

Super Cronk
03-03-06, 10:45 PM
Tonight was the first full episode ive seen...absolutely funny stuff!

Steelers
03-03-06, 11:47 PM
My TV reception dropped out at around 9:20 and just returned. Dam wet weather!

Steve Dangerous
04-03-06, 12:10 AM
haha i loved the crazy tv warehouse announcer guy at maccas. pure gold.

Queenslander
04-03-06, 10:14 AM
haha i loved the crazy tv warehouse announcer guy at maccas. pure gold.
I loved how the manager tried to stop him but just gave up :lol!:

Steelers
25-03-06, 01:47 PM
did any1 watch last nights episode? the spruiker was out the front of the rabbitohs leagues club promoting the russell crowe takeover sale :rotflmao:

if u missed it the vid is on their website... http://www.abc.net.au/tv/chaser/war/default.htm

Steve Dangerous
25-03-06, 02:03 PM
i missed it but i'll see the replay on abc2 tonight

Titanium_BD1103
26-03-06, 12:48 PM
Oh stupid Souths.. they can't take a joke.. calling the spruiker an f***in moron.. Cmon it was only a joke.. :laugh: :laugh:

Nah I love this show... especially the what have we learnt from current affairs section.. :)

If you haven't seen this episode.. get a copy of it... because this one was on alternatives to childcare and it was HILLARIOUS..:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Steelers
26-03-06, 12:50 PM
because this one was on alternatives to childcare and it was HILLARIOUS..:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

$4 for a cloak room... :rotflmao:

And the Souths spruiker... "I was just trying to help help help" And the Souths supporters were asking "Did Holmes a Court send you?" :laugh: HILARIOUS!

Titans#1
26-03-06, 01:07 PM
Also... Adam Clayton's Solo Concert... what a crack up. Anyone watch Ali G afterwards?

Steve Dangerous
26-03-06, 02:09 PM
boyakasha!

bruno owning the spring break guys was awesome. and the old guy after the credits.

nflin3
04-08-06, 05:57 PM
Who here watches The Chaser's War on Everything. I friggin love the show and I never miss it. For those of you who havent watched it give it a go it is hilarious at times. If u dont watch them you might se them on the news sometime like when Chas Liciardello (sp?) did that Bulldogs stunt that was arguably distasteful.

Steelers
04-08-06, 06:04 PM
http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1458

Already a thread on it

DIEHARD
23-08-06, 04:09 PM
Anyone see the skit online how the Chaser crew booked online tickets for fake names like Al Kyder and Terry Wrist and didnt shw up and they did a final boarding call for them....hilarious and pretty scary you can pick up tickets at a computer check in without showing ID....

travop
23-08-06, 05:57 PM
I Love Da Chasers And Th Chaser War On Everything

Hoppy2007Dragons
24-08-06, 10:48 AM
i Love chasers, the only decent political satire around.

DIEHARD
24-08-06, 02:46 PM
I think Chaser have doubled their fan base over the last month!

The DVDs are out now as well.

Steve Dangerous
24-08-06, 02:52 PM
i was watching the abc news a couple of nights ago, and there was some polly talking about how we need more aussie history taught at schools... then one of the journos asks "who was brisbane named after?" and he had no clue lol. it was just like a chaser gag.. which begs the question, are they influencing the rest of the media :laugh:

Super Cronk
24-08-06, 03:11 PM
Anyone see the skit online how the Chaser crew booked online tickets for fake names like Al Kyder and Terry Wrist and didnt shw up and they did a final boarding call for them....hilarious and pretty scary you can pick up tickets at a computer check in without showing ID....

Yeah i saw that episode last night. I love the chasers...i used to watch little parts of their other shows but this one has really got me hooked.

jenny
24-08-06, 05:19 PM
i was watching the abc news a couple of nights ago, and there was some polly talking about how we need more aussie history taught at schools... then one of the journos asks "who was brisbane named after?" and he had no clue lol. it was just like a chaser gag.. which begs the question, are they influencing the rest of the media :laugh:
I saw that Steve..... :laugh: So funny...I felt my face go red...I was embarrassed.. :( LOL!! we killed ouselves Laughing!! He also said "i had a blonde moment" when he made some dumb comment! NOW Blondes are all over him...only not in the way, he would prefer them to be!

Robbie_Dee
28-03-07, 09:34 PM
Well The Chaser came back on TV tonight finally for a new season!!!

Anyone watch it tonight? (you can catch a repeat friday night aswell)

jenny
28-03-07, 09:35 PM
Well The Chaser came back on TV tonight finally for a new season!!!

Anyone watch it tonight? (you can catch a repeat friday night aswell)

Really???? I missed it Robbie...I will watch fridays reoeat...Thankyou:)

Boofhead
28-03-07, 09:36 PM
Was flicking through channels and noticed it was back on. Only show I go out of the way to watch on ABC. :P

Social Loafer
28-03-07, 09:37 PM
Damn I thought it was at 930!!

Guess I'll have to catch the Friday Night Replay.

Steelers
I watched it (thanks to nflin3 telling me it was on :p)

Loved it, as always :)

Robbie_Dee
Really???? I missed it Robbie...I will watch fridays reoeat...Thankyou:)Yea I wasn't expecting it to be on a Wednesday night either!

How good was the Naomi Robsin segment!!!!! CLASSIC CHASERS!!!!!

jenny
28-03-07, 09:44 PM
Yea I wasn't expecting it to be on a Wednesday night either!

How good was the Naomi Robsin segment!!!!! CLASSIC CHASERS!!!!!

I forgot the Chaser thread was here...And i put it in the Stupidity Thread earlier tonight ..Funny stuff though.;)

Hoppy2007Dragons
28-03-07, 10:20 PM
Man it felt good to watch that again, btw did anyone else think slyverster was high in the video excert i mean his eyes didn't stop moving.

LIAR(watch the show, you'll get what i mean)

The wendys part was a classic and the sign skit.

Queenslander
28-03-07, 10:29 PM
Man it felt good to watch that again, btw did anyone else think slyverster was high in the video excert i mean his eyes didn't stop moving.

LIAR(watch the show, you'll get what i mean)

The wendys part was a classic and the sign skit.

Sly was the funniest bit *Eyes dash from left to right like watching a really really really fast game of tennis* "Ah I love Australia"

Titanium_BD1103
28-03-07, 10:53 PM
Ah it was great to have the boys back tonight....and that show was top notch stuff there... :)

I loved the Wendy's ad test, LMAO at the boys... :p

I really enjoyed their tribute to Naomi Robson.. that was quite amusing... however I think I have to say the favourite would be the Free Hugs video... although rather crude, it was just funny watching Chris getting people to do that sort of stuff.

Credit also though has to go to the newest segment, I had to laugh at the Marcus Enfield gag... although it did lose it's legs towards the end.

What about the Qantas video as well, that was typical Chaser humour and hit the note so very very well.. :D

LMAO at the Lateline Joke, it's so true that the show is hosted by ALP candidates.

Casey's Angel27
29-03-07, 10:34 AM
And the Today Tonight versus ACA with the barbie dolls. I just liked how they banged the dolls with hammers. :D

Steel Dragon
29-03-07, 10:54 AM
Bugger! DIdn't know it was on, although I do recall flicking over in the middle of the Barbie doll skit - but didn't realise what it was, so I flicked back. Bugger bugger bugger!

Jason

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-03-07, 11:36 AM
their new time slot has gained three new viewers, the abc ethics board. :)

jenny
29-03-07, 07:31 PM
Chaser gatecrashes Hanson book launch
By Doug Conway
March 29, 2007 12:00

PAULINE Hanson says she knew David Oldfield was lying all along when he disputed her claims the two had a sexual liaison.

Mr Oldfield, the one-time staffer who went on to represent Ms Hanson's anti-immigration One Nation party in the NSW upper house, failed a lie detector test he agreed to take on television this week.

"I knew he was lying, right from the beginning," Ms Hanson said today at the launch of Pauline Hanson, Untamed and Unashamed, the autobiography in which she details a night of passion with Mr Oldfield at a Canberra motel in 1996, the year she was elected to Parliament.

"There's no reason for me to lie," Ms Hanson said.

"I think the biggest problem here is that he has apparently lied to his wife.

"He should have been up-front and honest; there wouldn't be any problem.

"So that's his problem, not mine. My life has moved on."

Ms Hanson said her affair with Mr Oldfield was one regret she had in a hectic life which included marriage at 16, her first child at 17, two marriage breakdowns, life as a small business owner, 11 weeks in prison for an electoral fraud conviction later overturned, and starting up the One Nation party which for a while turned Australian politics on its head.

"I regret my association with him in the bedroom," she said today.

But she insisted: "I don't regret revealing it."

Ms Hanson appeared nonplussed when comics from TV's The Chaser turned up at her book launch with a stained dress they said was proof of her affair.

She said she had had enough of the Oldfield episode.

"I don't intend to bring him up anymore," she said at the Sydney book store hosting the launch.

"I am so over it, and I think everyone else is. I've had enough of it."

Asked about Mr Oldfield's claims of misappropriation of One Nation funds, she said flatly: "They're not true. I've had these allegations raised previously in court. Those charges were dropped against me."

She said the next federal election, which she hopes heralds her return to Parliament as an independent senator, would be a big test for both major parties.

"I personally don't have a lot of time for either one of them," she said.

"I think it's the same old rhetoric that we're hearing."

She said her world "fell apart" when she was found guilty in 2003.

"When I went to prison that first day they put me under suicide watch because I was so distraught," she said.

"I wouldn't eat, I just didn't want to survive.

"But the public wouldn't give up on me. That gave me the hope.

"I hope I can relate to the average person out there because they're my mates.

"That's what I wish to take to parliament, to be the voice for the people of Australia."
Daily Telegraph

jenny
29-03-07, 07:34 PM
Chaser ratings success
March 29, 2007 12:45pm

ABC TV's decision to ditch The Glasshouse and replace it with The Chaser's War on Everything on Wednesday nights has been vindicated in the ratings.
The Chaser team returned in fearless form for its second season to an audience of almost 1.2 million, a figure which went close to doubling last season's average of 618,000 viewers in the Wednesday night timeslot.

Whether it was the Chaser's promotional efforts, which included a billboard in Iraq, or simply the move to a prime time spot, that contributed to the impressive ratings, the team was pleasantly surprised.

In the first show of the year Andrew Hansen paid a backhanded musical tribute to former Today Tonight host Naomi Robson, while Julian Morrow attempted to borrow speeding judge Marcus Einfeld's car.

Chris Taylor said today the ratings result was "bittersweet".

"On the upside, over a million people watched the show. On the downside, Naomi Robson wasn't one of them," he said.

The Chaser's challenge now will be keeping the audience after what the ABC said was its highest rating program this year in the category of viewers aged 16 to 39.

"One million viewers tuned in, but I'm guessing 900,000 of them made a decision never to do so again," said Taylor.

In a slow night for television overall, it was Seven News which finished on top with 1.45 million viewers ahead of Network Ten's House and Today Tonight.

The Chaser finished ninth for the night, narrowly behind big budget American drama Heroes.

The FINA World Swimming Championships crept into the top 10 with 1.17 million viewers.

Article from: AAP

Robbie_Dee
04-04-07, 09:38 PM
Oh Dear God!!! How can TV be so Funny?!?!?!?!? Tonights episode was just god damn Brilliant!!!!!

Favourite segment goes to West 'Coke' Eagles!!!!!!!!! I was on the verge of pissing my pants!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely Gold!!!!!!!

They got the balls to do just about anything!!!! How funny was the Blind Taxi Driving segment!!!!!!!

Social Loafer
04-04-07, 10:55 PM
Reinforces my opinion that it is the best show on Television, ans I mean all shows, including Prison Break, Lost etc..

Sonny-Skill
05-04-07, 07:50 AM
Is anyone here a fan of the Chaser crew? The guys behind the old show CNNNN and Today Today on JJJ?

I went to the launch of their 2005 Annual at a bookshop tonight. It was pretty funny.

Julian and Chas were there, they gave a brief speech about the sedition laws and a few other topical items. They were at their funniest answering questions though - very quick and witty.

I bought a copy of the annual, it's gold as per usual.

I'd strongly recommend it as an Xmas present for anyone you know who enjoys a bit of Current Affairs and Satire.

They've got a new show coming out next year as well, I can't wait!

I cant stand him tbh...

Steel Dragon
07-04-07, 02:23 AM
High time someone laid the boot into the Eagles. And I say that as a jersey-wearing fan!

Jason :)

~lee~
07-04-07, 07:24 AM
West 'Coke' Eagles and the Sex Offender t shirt were the best parts. Also the bash at Fox News was welcomed. Chasers is a brilliant show only outdone by The Amazing Race.

Titanium_BD1103
07-04-07, 09:43 AM
Loved the T-shirt gag, and the West Coke Eagles very funny... :)

I have to say though that the bash at Fox News and the MP gag were the funniest ones on the night, that was just classic where they chopped up footage of Chuck Norris on Fox News and played it.. :D :D

Have to say the boys are back better than last season and clearly they work, they have taken a fair chunk out of a section with shows such as Heroes and House on at the same time, and that is a real feat to do that.. :)

travop
07-04-07, 10:33 AM
those guys r da best i have the first season on dvd n i cant help watchin it ova n ova agian

Ryan
05-09-07, 09:07 PM
Just a quick reminder, The Chaser returns tonight - starts in 5min :D

Who's watching?

Ryan
05-09-07, 09:35 PM
The Chasers are back and did not disappoint.

They done an Andrew Johns Video Clip "Where My E?" (pisstake of Thats My Team)
It had NRL logos and all! - Keep an eye out for the next law suit ;)

nflin3
05-09-07, 09:44 PM
Love the beastiality thing too from the secret... classic episode as usual

HodgoBerro
05-09-07, 10:11 PM
i still think the sunrise one was classic

they also did a retake of U2s I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For chas is no larry mullen jnr if he thinks hes just as good looking hes way off the mark

did anyone see the one on the secret book? i was in hysterics when they 'visualised' the shirt in a dry cleaners n walked off with it! the parking job one was classic!

remember when they interviewed the now ex mufti of australia? he was saying to them "you are all terrorists"

Steel Dragon
06-09-07, 03:00 AM
I thought tonight's effort was below-par. They normally have me in stitches. But I still appreciate seing the boot laid into the twin cesspools that pose as current affairs programs.

Jason

Titanium_BD1103
06-09-07, 01:36 PM
Well who didn't see this coming TBH... and I am sure the footage is a hoot...:rolf: lets hope though as they really weren't endangering anyone or doing anything racist or offensive, they can get off police charges...:duh:

From:http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/06/2025817.htm

Chaser duo detained over APEC stunt

Thursday 6 September 2007 (updated 20 mins ago)

Two stars of The Chaser's War on Everything have been detained after conducting a fake motorcade through Sydney.

Chaser co-star Chris Taylor has told ABC News Online that police have detained Chas Licciardello and the show's executive producer Julian Morrow.

Taylor says the motorcade was made up of three cars.

"A lot of people were involved [in this stunt]," he said.

"Some have been detained and some haven't."

Taylor says the crew members have been detained in their cars, while police wait for special units to arrive.

Lawyers for the ABC are also on their way to the scene.

Sydney is this week hosting APEC. Some roads and rail stations are closed and a huge steel and concrete wall has been erected around the city to help police manage crowds and block vehicle access when necessary.

LMAO apparently they chose Canada for their motorcade as they expected it would be easier to pass the security checks... these boys are classic... :laugh: :laugh:

From:http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/chaser-duo-held-over-motorcade-stunt/2007/09/06/1188783378804.html

Chaser duo held over motorcade stunt
Arjun Ramachandran
September 6, 2007 - 12:25PM

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/06/chaserbust_wideweb__470x264,0.jpg

Two of The Chaser team have been detained after conducting a fake motorcade through the city this morning.

Police have detained Chas Licciardello and Chaser executive producer Julian Morrow at the InterContinental hotel.

Lawyers for the ABC are in discussions with police.

Chaser team member Chris Taylor said the motorcade comprised "three cars, a couple of motorbikes, and a lot of crew".

"It was a motorcade trying to get into the exclusion zone," he said.

Chaser crew members were initially detained in their cars while "police on the ground'' waited for special units to arrive, he said.

US President George Bush's motorcade swept through the city to Darling Harbour this morning.

The NSW Minister for Transport, John Watkins, warned Sydneysiders that most of the disruptions due to motorcades were yet to come.

"Between 3pm and 7.30pm today, there will be 92 motorcade movements around the city," he said.

Between 4pm and 7.30pm there would be motorcades from the airport for delegations from Canada, Vietnam and the director-general of APEC.

The Chaser convoy had been dressed up to look like an official Canadian motorcade, with Canadian flags attached to the cars and "Canada'' signs visible in the front windscreen.

"No particular reason we chose Canada," said Taylor. "We just thought they'd be a country who the cops wouldn't scrutinise too closely, and who feasibly would only have three cars in their motorcade - as opposed to the 20 or so gas guzzlers that Bush has brought with him."

The motorcade got into the red zone, past two sets of gates.

It was pulled over on the corner of Bridge and Macquarie streets.

Taylor said the Chaser duo had been taken to Surry Hills police station.

Police superintendent Ken McKay confirmed the pair had been arrested for breaching the restricted zone.

The arrests had been made using new powers available under the APEC Act, he said.

Police Media are preparing a statement on the incident.

- with David Braithwaite and Andrew Meares

DIEHARD
06-09-07, 04:16 PM
CHASERS HAVE HIT APEC!

Chaser boys held over APEC stunt

ELEVEN members of the ABC'S The Chaser team have been detained by police while performing a prank at Sydney's InterContinental Hotel, ABC management said today.

Among those arrested were on-screen stars Julian Morrow and Chas Licciardello.

"At this stage we can confirm that Julian Morrow and Chas Licciardello have been detained," said Peter Ritchie, a spokesman for the broadcaster.

The arrests were made after the group drove a fake motorcade down Macquarie St in the APEC restricted zone.

Licciardello was reportedly dressed as Osama bin Laden, and was arrested after he emerged from one of the vehicles to the embarrassment of security forces.

Somehow, the team managed to avoid the massive security contingent to get as far as they did.

They had crossed Bent St and stopped at Bridge St when they were arrested.

Click here to see a map of the APEC restricted area ?

Despite the arrests, The Chaser managed to get their footage back the studio.

A team of ABC staffers have been arguing with detectives as to the legality oft hem being in the area.

"Our ABC lawyers and management are currently in discussion with the police and that's really all I can say at this stage," said Mr Ritchie.

Mr Ritchie believed Mr Licciardello would be feeling relaxed about today's situation, given his prior experience with the police.

He was charged last year with offensive conduct over a prank outside a Bulldogs rugby league match, although the charge was later thrown out of court.

"Yeah, it's not the first time," Mr Ritchie said.

With The Daily Telegraph and AAP

DIEHARD
06-09-07, 04:34 PM
Chas in his Osama beard, they got 10m from Bush's hotel!

http://l.yimg.com/au.yimg.com/i/hp/pics/chaserbug070906seven.jpg

jenny
06-09-07, 04:37 PM
Chas in his Osama beard, they got 10m from Bush's hotel!

http://l.yimg.com/au.yimg.com/i/hp/pics/chaserbug070906seven.jpg

IS THAT UNREAL OR WHAT?!?!
ALL THOSE $$$$$$$$$$ spent on security :duh:

Super Cronk
06-09-07, 04:37 PM
These blokes are too damn funny.

DIEHARD
06-09-07, 05:00 PM
Im waiting for the international news of the event.

I wonder if they will make them out to be protestors. They don't realise they are taking the piss, the greatest Aussie tradition.

It's War On Everything!

DIEHARD
06-09-07, 05:03 PM
Here is some...

Reuters

Comedy TV show team penetrates tight APEC security

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A television comedy show penetrated tight security around the Asia-Pacific summit in Sydney on Thursday, driving a fake motorcade unchallenged through two security check points.

Members of Australia's Chaser television comedy programme, drove three cars, accompanied by motorcycles, near the city centre, where thousands of police and high fences have been installed to protect world leaders.

Australia's ABC, which broadcasts the Chaser programme, said the fake motorcade made it to within metres of the hotel where U.S. President George W. Bush is staying during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) group forum.

Two cast members were detained by police. Another of the show's cast, Chris Taylor, told the ABC the motorcade had been made to look like it was carrying Canadian delegates.

Chaser thrives on pulling off madcap stunts, and earlier in the week tried to breach APEC security by delivering silly outfits for the leaders to wear. They once successfully delivered a Trojan horse, with fake warriors inside, to an Australian army barracks.

The APEC forum brings together 21 leaders from around the Asia-Pacific. The event is the largest security event staged in Australia, with much of the biggest city of Sydney locked down for the meeting.

nflin3
06-09-07, 05:54 PM
As soon as I saw them on the news I couldnt stop laughing

Coaster
06-09-07, 06:01 PM
I dont see how these idiots making a laughing stock out of our country on an international level is funny.

Capital_Shark
06-09-07, 06:07 PM
I dont see how these idiots making a laughing stock out of our country on an international level is funny.

I thought I was only one.. Don't get me wrong, I love a piss take, as many of my deleted posts on here over my time would show, but this, as you said, makes a laughing stock of Australia's ability to host something other than a match of beach cricket.

nflin3
06-09-07, 06:08 PM
The Chasers are back and did not disappoint.

They done an Andrew Johns Video Clip "Where My E?" (pisstake of Thats My Team)
It had NRL logos and all! - Keep an eye out for the next law suit ;)

Actually NO.

They are allowed to use the actual song on but with different lyrics as long as it is used for satire.

It doesn't matter if the logos are seen as legislation states that a clip that includes a logo is allowed to be seen for a certain period of time.

ABC legal are *****es and wouldn't allow something if it was illegal to do so ;)

nflin3
06-09-07, 06:45 PM
LOL!

Who just saw that pathetic hit peice on Today Tonight?

Really if they don't have anything else better to do for a story that is just sad.

I don't think they will ever get over The Chaser screwing them over earlier this year.

Ryan
06-09-07, 07:00 PM
Actually NO.

They are allowed to use the actual song on but with different lyrics as long as it is used for satire.

It doesn't matter if the logos are seen as legislation states that a clip that includes a logo is allowed to be seen for a certain period of time.

ABC legal are *****es and wouldn't allow something if it was illegal to do so ;)
I was thinking something along the lines of 'Defamation'
Didn't they threaten similar action after the 'Bulldogs Supporter Gear' stunt?

Dragons_Suck
06-09-07, 07:03 PM

Im glad that kind of thing happened at Dragons game :)

nflin3
06-09-07, 07:08 PM

So what about every other John's joke broadcasted on TV lately?

Ryan
06-09-07, 07:13 PM
So what about every other John's joke broadcasted on TV lately?
Hardly comparable.
I wasn't refering to puttin sh!t on Johns, but using the NRL logo in a clip with drug use.

nflin3
06-09-07, 07:16 PM
Hardly comparable.
I wasn't refering to puttin sh!t on Johns, but using the NRL logo in a clip with drug use.

If they could do anything I would be suprised.

If they persued anything I would be amazed.

Ryan
06-09-07, 07:19 PM
If they persued anything I would be amazed.

Yeah well they've already set that example haven't they :p

nflin3
06-09-07, 07:21 PM
Yeah well they've already set that example haven't they :p

LOL true that mate.

Titanium_BD1103
06-09-07, 08:13 PM
LOL!

Who just saw that pathetic hit peice on Today Tonight?

Really if they don't have anything else better to do for a story that is just sad.

I don't think they will ever get over The Chaser screwing them over earlier this year.

LOL I know... they are so bitter...:hissyfit":rolf:

I changed to ACA on Channel 9, at least they got the humour in it all and they were even saying they laughed when they saw the calvacade going down the street, at first they thought it was real, and then one of the guards got his leg struck by the wheel of the car, and they realised it wasn't...:duh: :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
06-09-07, 08:19 PM
They got charged... lets hope the judge is a fan of the show... ;)

From: http://www.smh.com.au/news/apec/chaser-team-charged/2007/09/06/1188783378804.html

Chaser team charged
David Braithwaite
September 6, 2007 - 8:00PM

Eleven members of ABC's The Chaser have been charged and granted bail following their arrest in Sydney today.

Julian Morrow and Chas Licciardello, two of the stars of the satirical show, were among those detained by police today, after staging a fake motorcade through Sydney as part of an APEC week stunt.

They were charged under new APEC laws with entering a restricted area without justification.

The crew members were in a convoy of three cars and two motorbikes, which was reportedly ushered through two checkpoints in Sydney's APEC security zone.

The convoy was pulled over in Macquarie Street in a block adjacent to the InterContinental Hotel where US President George Bush is staying.

All 11 have been bailed to appear in the Downing Centre Local Court on October 4.

NSW Police Minister David Campbell denied he was embarrassed by the comedians' ability to penetrate APEC's restricted zone - rather, he was pleased the "multi-layered'' security had worked.

He said the prank was inappropriate and he "did not see the funny side at all''.

The Chaser's production team had been specifically warned by police to behave responsibly during the APEC security lockdown, he said.

"[The police] said: 'We understand that parody and satire are entertaining and fun, many people watch the program and enjoy it, but please understand the seriousness of this matter and please take caution as you go about making your program.'

"That seems to have been thrown out the window and that, I think, is inappropriate."

Their motorcade, branded with the Canadian flag, is understood to have passed through at least one police checkpoint in the declared zone.

The vehicle was pulled over near the corner of Bridge and Macquarie streets.

A police statement said the show's producers were earlier this week urged to consider the ramification of stunts during APEC.

No charges were brought when the team dressed up as a police horse yesterday.

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer said that the fact the Chaser team was arrested showed the security system worked.

But he told an APEC news conference: "Whatever you think of the humour of the Chaser ... they were clearly not going to harm anybody in a physical way.

"They presumably were, as is the nature of their show, aiming to humiliate a lot of well-known people."

Chaser team member Chris Taylor told smh.com.au that the motorcade comprised "three cars, a couple of motorbikes, and a lot of crew".

"It was a motorcade trying to get into the exclusion zone," he said.

"No particular reason we chose Canada," said Taylor. "We just thought they'd be a country who the cops wouldn't scrutinise too closely, and who feasibly would only have three cars in their motorcade - as opposed to the 20 or so gas guzzlers that Bush has brought with him."

The vehicles in the motorcade were hired - two were black SUVs imported from the US, and the other was a regular car.

Police superintendent Ken McKay confirmed the arrests had been made using new powers available under the APEC Act.

- with Arjun Ramachandran and Andrew Meares and AAP

Steelers
06-09-07, 10:35 PM
Best
Stunt
Ever!

Seriously, that is the biggest thing they have ever done, and the funniest thing they have ever done, simply because of the height of the accomplishment of getting into the APEC zone.

To those saying that the Chaser boys are the ones making us look like a laughing stock... it isn't their fault that all of these unneccesary security measures have proved useless. Just imagine if that was a group of terrorists with a bomb in the car and they blew George W. Bush to hell... Old Johnny Boy would be up sh!t creek then...

Steel Dragon
06-09-07, 11:10 PM
In the immortal words of Richie:

Brilliant. Just Brilliant.

Makes up for their poor return show last night.

Jason

DIEHARD
07-09-07, 09:50 AM
Best
Stunt
Ever!

Sums it up. Best stunt ever!

Not much could top that.

jenny
07-09-07, 10:01 AM
Chaser crew charged over no-go zone stunt

AN embarrassing and potentially dangerous breach of APEC security culminated in the charging of eleven crew members and drivers of the TV comedy show The Chaser.

Ten men - including comedians Chas Licciardello and Julian Morrow - and one woman were last night charged under newly legislated APEC laws with entering a restricted area without justification.

The eight crew and three drivers were in a fake convoy purporting to be carrying the Canadian Prime Minister and ushered through two checkpoints in Sydney's APEC restricted security zone yesterday.

They eventually stopped just 10m from the InterContinental Hotel where US President George W. Bush is staying but only after Licciardello jumped from a black limousine dressed as al-Qaeda terrorist Osama bin Laden.

All 11 were arrested at the scene with police forced to drive the three cars and two motorbikes in the convoy away. All were last night granted bail to face Downing Centre Local Court on October 4.

Head of the APEC investigation squad, Detective Superintendent Ken McKay last night defended charging the Chaser team.

"While it appears it was a prank, the current APEC security environment isn't the place to do it in," Det Supt McKay said.

"Who they are is irrelevant, they were charged like anyone else who breaks the law."

The stunt exposed an embarrassing and potentially dangerous flaw in the $250 million security measures put in place to protect 21 world leaders, many of whom will converge on Sydney today for the start of the APEC summit.

Officers involved in the APEC security operation revealed last night that police manning CBD roadblocks are frequently not told whether motorcades coming toward them are legitimate.

"We're amazed at the lack of communication that allowed this to happen but how are they to know whether a motorcade is legitimate when they're not supposed to stop them and nothing is broadcast over the (police) radio," an officer said.

A NSW Police spokesman last night denied a lack of communications led to the security blunder and said adequate communication systems were in place.

A source inside The Chaser's War on Everything revealed the team never expected to get so far. The skit had been approved by ABC lawyers but was written in the assumption they would be stopped at the first checkpoint.

Instead they were waved through the first on Macquarie St, then a second, which had sniffer dogs, and eventually stopped themselves at Bridge St.

"As they did Chas got out of a car dressed as Osama bin Laden and said something like 'I'm an important world leader why don't I have a seat at the APEC table?'. Apparently that was the first time the police realised it was not authentic and they swooped in and arrested everybody," the source said
AAP

DIEHARD
07-09-07, 10:05 AM
Bush is a frequent target of "The Chaser," as are Australian politicians. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said the stunt proved security was working.

CNN.COM

Queenslander
07-09-07, 10:12 AM
:duh: If someone passing through security with security tags like those below is right than I suppose anything goes for APEC!

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5644600,00.jpg

DIEHARD
07-09-07, 10:19 AM
Hahahaha classic.

DIEHARD
07-09-07, 10:45 AM
"As they did Chas got out of a car dressed as Osama Bin Laden and said something like 'I'm an important world leader why don't I have a seat at the APEC table?'

http://www.news.com.au

:rolf:

nflin3
07-09-07, 03:57 PM
Hardly comparable.

OK. I can settle this.

I looked over the episode again and I can confirm that the channel 9 or NRL logo was not used in any part of the film clip except the logo they made.

Any show can use any logo as long as they make it themselves.

The Chaser are safe from any court hearing on this matter ;)

Ryan
07-09-07, 05:26 PM
OK. I can settle this.

I looked over the episode again and I can confirm that the channel 9 or NRL logo was not used in any part of the film clip except the logo they made.

I'll get back to you when I watch it again, I thought I saw the NRL logo......

Titanium_BD1103
07-09-07, 06:22 PM
LMAO at them... they tried it again the boys did, this time with a Cardboard cutout car... didn't get them as far this time... but glad to see their sense of comedy hasn't been hit by this... ;)

From:http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/07/2027186.htm?section=entertainment

Police question Chasers over second APEC stunt
Posted 58 minutes ago
Updated 8 minutes ago

Three staff and a film crew from ABC TV's program The Chaser's War on Everything have been questioned by police after being involved in second stunt in central Sydney this afternoon.

It involved three Chaser team members moving towards a police line with a black cardboard car bearing Canadian flags.

All of the staff have now been released.

Chaser member Chris Taylor says all involved knew no laws had been broken.

"We didn't do anything wrong at all, we were very careful to stay within the letter of the law, I think the police realised that so it was fine," he said.

On Thursday, the Chaser team breached APEC security by driving a fake motorcade into a restricted zone.

Eleven people were arrested and were charged with entering a secure area, with police saying they were considering more charges.

ROFLMAO as well at The Chaser's Andrew Hansen and his answer to reporters today...

Reporter: Andrew do you have anything to say about what happened to your colleagues yesterday?

Andrew: I'm sorry, but I only am responding to questions about Clive the Slightly too Loud commuter.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... that is gold....:rolf: :rolf:

nflin3
07-09-07, 07:23 PM
I'll get back to you when I watch it again, I thought I saw the NRL logo......

Download the podcast from their website.

As I said the only one shown was the one they made that looks very similar to the NRL logo but has an "E" in the centre of the ball.

Poida
07-09-07, 07:47 PM
Hahaha them guys are legends.

Ryan
07-09-07, 07:58 PM
OK. I can settle this.

http://www.scouts.com.au/images/upload/normal/10004535.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/RD012/DrugbyLeague1.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/RD012/DrugbyLeague2.jpg
National Rugby League changes to National Drugby League, using a copyright\All Rights Reserved logo.......
Are you sure thats not defamation or a similar Copyright\All Rights Reserved breach? :eyebrow:
Wanna change your mind before I link the actual policies? :D

nflin3
07-09-07, 08:00 PM
http://www.scouts.com.au/images/upload/normal/10004535.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/RD012/DrugbyLeague1.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/RD012/DrugbyLeague2.jpg
National Rugby League changes to National Drugby League, using a copyright\All Rights Reserved logo.......
Are you sure thats not defamation or a similar Copyright\All Rights Reserved breach? :eyebrow:
Wanna change your mind before I link the actual policies? :D

I thought it was ok....... my arguement is they don't use the ACTUAL logo.

C-Whiz
08-09-07, 07:08 AM
Best
Stunt
Ever!

Seriously, that is the biggest thing they have ever done, and the funniest thing they have ever done, simply because of the height of the accomplishment of getting into the APEC zone.

To those saying that the Chaser boys are the ones making us look like a laughing stock... it isn't their fault that all of these unneccesary security measures have proved useless. Just imagine if that was a group of terrorists with a bomb in the car and they blew George W. Bush to hell... Old Johnny Boy would be up sh!t creek then...

OK, what if security had of just shot them all dead in the car fearing it was a terrorist attack? Would it still be quite so funny? Still the best stunt ever?

travop
08-09-07, 11:15 AM
OK, what if security had of just shot them all dead in the car fearing it was a terrorist attack? Would it still be quite so funny? Still the best stunt ever?

that could of happened but it didnt and a report in the courier mail today (saturday 8th september) says that many photos taken shows police and secret service personal laughing and jokin with the chasers and a fatal shootin had a unelvated chance due to the celebrity nature of the boys

Super Cronk
08-09-07, 03:03 PM

I would still laugh. :)

Capital_Shark
08-09-07, 10:55 PM

Excellent point. Only blokes who'd crack a joke then would be me, Ryan and maybe Coaster, it'd probably result in a ban. As mum says, all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

Maybe Osama's boys should get a sh!tty skit show on ABC to give them some leverage when either scoping joints out or blowing them up.

nflin3
08-09-07, 11:16 PM
Excellent point. Only blokes who'd crack a joke then would be me, Ryan and maybe Coaster, it'd probably result in a ban. As mum says, all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

Maybe Osama's boys should get a sh!tty skit show on ABC to give them some leverage when either scoping joints out or blowing them up.

Maybe Osam can dress up disguised as Chas :)

travop
09-09-07, 05:56 PM
Maybe Osam can dress up disguised as Chas :)

lol dunno if he'll get the accent right though but .
everyone has an opinon and this is another famous yet frustrating discussion thread about one incident that divides the forums in too.......
so my opinon is that these guys are comedians ....nothing more nothing less and comedians dont appel to everyone and i think what the chasers did not only showed up the whole security force in sydney but opened up the entire world to our little jewel we know as "THE CHASERS WAR ON EVERYTHING"

HodgoBerro
12-09-07, 08:41 PM
DON'T FORGET! 9pm TONIGHT!

Darren Lockyer
12-09-07, 09:34 PM
just watched it and it was classic

HodgoBerro
12-09-07, 10:21 PM
stairway to kevin was classic!

nflin3
12-09-07, 10:25 PM
Classic episode

Social Loafer
12-09-07, 11:00 PM
Loved it, Stairway to Kevin was Brilliant.

Brilliant show all round :woot:

Steel Dragon
13-09-07, 02:46 AM
Dammit! Forgot it was on until too late. Will have to catch the replay on Friday night.

Jason

DIEHARD
13-09-07, 11:19 AM
Loved it. The episode must have got massive ratings.

Stairway to Kevin was hilarious.

One of my favourite parts was when Chas rang talk back radio calling for the Chaser to be imprisoned and everyone who works for the Chaser, and the producers and the ABC board and Kerry O'Brien. :rolf:

Titanium_BD1103
13-09-07, 11:54 AM
Loved it. The episode must have got massive ratings.

Stairway to Kevin was hilarious.

One of my favourite parts was when Chas rang talk back radio calling for the Chaser to be imprisoned and everyone who works for the Chaser, and the producers and the ABC board and Kerry O'Brien. :rolf:

This episode had to be one of the best...:woot:

I loved their work with APEC... they showed just how lax security truly was.. and LMAO at the Police, you'd think they'd arrest Osama, but they went after Julian instead..:rolf:

ROFLMAO at them setting up their own fireworks display as well, they went all out with APEC...:rolf:

I thought the other segments weren't as good, but that might have to do with the fact that they spent so much on the APEC stuff... but they were still funny, like moving your furniture using a bus and I did get a good laugh about the girl at the uni, I love that segment.. :)

I loved Stairway to Kevin, totally classic and yeah the Peter Licchardello thing was hilarious... especially when Chas started saying Kerry O' Brien should be sent to jail..:laugh: :laugh:

Overall top 10 episode and well done boys.. you've done Australia proud.. :D

DIEHARD
13-09-07, 03:48 PM
Chaser ratings hit a record high

THE Chaser's APEC motorcade stunt has proved a major ratings sucess for the ABC, helping to pull in 2.24 million viewers for last night's TV show.

The audience for last night's The Chaser's War on Eveything was the biggest ever for the satirical show, well ahead of its previous best last week of 1.5 million, and one of the best ever for a single ABC show.

What did you think of the show? Have your say through the comment box below ...

The only ABC program to have drawn a bigger audience was the finale of the popular drama Sea Change.

The Chaser crew earned worldwide media coverage last week when they infiltrated security at APEC with a fake motorcade and one of their number dressed as Osama bin Laden.

Last night's program showed footage of the s**** motorcade being waved through two security checkpoints, which the comedians said were more like a "guard of honour", on its way towards the hotel where US President George W. Bush was staying.

See how they pulled it off ?

Eleven Chaser members were later charged with entering a restricted area without justification.

They will appear in court next month and face a maximum penalty of six months' jail, but plan to fight the charges.

http://www.news.com.au/

Super Cronk
13-09-07, 04:11 PM
Awesome episode, one of the only shows on tv that i actually LOL at.

Cant wait to see weather or not they pull some sort of prank at the court case.

~lee~
14-09-07, 07:54 AM
Great episode by the chasers. The rival firework show was my favourite bit, total classic. Loved the police panto horse too. Even Bin Laden joined in with a cracking line about taking Pavarotti's beard. :rolf:

Darren Lockyer
14-09-07, 08:03 AM
I thought how they did the fire works with apec sucks writtne on them was qute funny.

travop
14-09-07, 04:07 PM
Dammit! Forgot it was on until too late. Will have to catch the replay on Friday night.

Jason

y wait just download the podcast from itunes or their website

man thats the best show ever and anyone who says that they could have been killed is extremly foolish and is a fan of today tonight cause the footage shows that they were very safe

HodgoBerro
14-09-07, 05:42 PM
i thought the emo laundry powder ad was funny!

Capital_Shark
14-09-07, 06:30 PM
y wait just download the podcast from itunes or their website

man thats the best show ever and anyone who says that they could have been killed is extremly foolish and is a fan of today tonight cause the footage shows that they were very safe

People weren't worried about their safety, I assure you. More a question over how funny it would have been if some over-zealous security got a little trigger happy at the sight of some fringe comedian dressed up as Bin Laden.

travop
15-09-07, 08:32 AM
People weren't worried about their safety, I assure you. More a question over how funny it would have been if some over-zealous security got a little trigger happy at the sight of some fringe comedian dressed up as Bin Laden.

mmmm yes that is a problem
but did anyone watch that show after the chaser "summer hieghts high" man thats the best show and apparently the show got the second highest ratings for the night after the chasers

jenny
19-09-07, 05:11 PM
Now it's Chaser's War on footy :p
September 19, 2007

THE cheeky chaps from The Chaser's War on Everything are expected to declare war on the Brownlow Medal count, leaving Channel 7 in a lather.
Confidential believes the network has devised strategies to deal with the TV pranksters should they try any hijinks at footy's night of nights on Monday.

Any stunts would be particularly damaging to Seven, given the live nature of the count's prime-time coverage from Crown.

The AFL has not received an application for media accreditation from the Aunty clowns, sparking concerns they might have snapped up corporate tickets on sale to the public.

Such ticket-holders do not need to provide the names of partners.

The official comment from The Chaser is "we're not telling".

However funnyman Chas Licciardello said: "We were planning to ruin Brownlow night for all its participants and viewers, but then we remembered that's the Seven network's job.

"However, we won't be able to attend Monday night.

"Unfortunately, we're too busy trying to organise a deal for the Eagles trading Chris Judd for the entire Melbourne underworld."

The high alert follows the team's APEC stunt this month.

Chaser's profile was also boosted in May, when it was thrown out of the Logies and three of its cameras were confiscated after they dropped fake cocaine along the red carpet.

However Seven is confident that the team will be on its best behaviour.

"Crown has wonderful security in place and we are sure if The Chaser team are attending the Brownlow Medal they will be well-behaved," a network spokesman said.
AAP

HodgoBerro
19-09-07, 07:17 PM
tonight at 9pm TONIGHT! dont forget! no excuses!

nflin3
19-09-07, 07:31 PM
lol seen what is on the show tonight.... should be good as always :P

nflin3
19-09-07, 09:37 PM
The drug titles on the A current affairs segment was about our school :) (Caloundra State High School)

We are immortalised :)

HodgoBerro
19-09-07, 10:03 PM
caloundra state high? some famous schoolmates out of there!

nflin3
19-09-07, 10:07 PM
Adam Mogg is the only one I can remember :P

HodgoBerro
19-09-07, 10:18 PM
umm where to start....

steve irwin (the late croc hunter)
casey mcguire
adam mogg
joel parkinson (the pro surfer)
serena brookes (the pro surfer)

nflin3
19-09-07, 10:19 PM
Thought you just meant (how stupid of me really) NRL players.

HodgoBerro
19-09-07, 10:26 PM
well 2 former nrl players.....

shows how much i know and i didnt go to that school!

Steelers
19-09-07, 10:28 PM
Thought you just meant (how stupid of me really) NRL players.

How could you forget Casey Mcguire though? :nope:

HodgoBerro
19-09-07, 10:52 PM
or steve irwin....

joel moon also attended caloundra too.

did chris flannery go there or was that kawana state high?

DIEHARD
19-09-07, 11:15 PM
Loved the bit in China Town and the KFC bit.

HodgoBerro
19-09-07, 11:18 PM
yeah...kinda put a dvd on and forgot about it. WHOOPS

Steelers
19-09-07, 11:52 PM
or steve irwin....

joel moon also attended caloundra too.

did chris flannery go there or was that kawana state high?

Pretty sure he went to Kawana, cause he played for the Kawana Dolphins as well.

Dam Kawana... they are pretty much mortal enemies of Caloundra :|

HodgoBerro
20-09-07, 08:18 AM
i used to gkr karate (one of mums grand ideas to push me into everything to comprimise for her failed dreams of glory)

they used to do grading at kawana shs & now its at caloundra

Super Cronk
20-09-07, 09:05 AM
The kfc part was a crack up, i love the ad road tests.

Queenslander
21-09-07, 02:33 PM
Chaser boys take on Cowboys

By Ursula Heger
September 21, 2007 04:33am

THE infamous Chaser boys have been at it again - but their latest target wasn't President Bush. This time it was the North Queensland Cowboys.

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5664975,00.jpg

The latest stunt from the ABC comedians saw them head to Sydney airport last night to intercept the Cowboys as they flew in to play Manly Sea Eagles at Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night.

The Chaser team attempted to steal the luggage from some of the Cowboys players but were stopped by security.

"They realised it wasn't our luggage pretty quickly, and when there is a 6ft, 200 kilo guy staring you down you give it back pretty fast," Chaser member Chas Licciardello said.

"It's fair to say we will rethink our strategy of obtaining sporting memorabilia ... it's back to the drawing board for us," he said.

The Chaser were keeping tight-lipped on the next stunt, only stating that it would include the bare essentials.

"Every stunt from now on will be cheap and juvenile, and will involve either a costume or nudity," Chas said.

www.news.com.au

nflin3
21-09-07, 04:21 PM
Chaser boys take on Cowboys

The Chaser were keeping tight-lipped on the next stunt, only stating that it would include the bare essentials.

"Every stunt from now on will be cheap and juvenile, and will involve either a costume or nudity," Chas said.

www.news.com.au

Nothing new there

nflin3
21-09-07, 04:23 PM
Also.... Loved the JI extreme car add :)

Oh and the Fark-a-thon and Frankston evening on the Comedy Channel :P

Super Cronk
21-09-07, 04:59 PM
Also.... Loved the JI extreme car add :)

Oh and the Fark-a-thon and Frankston evening on the Comedy Channel :P

surprised there hasnt been more complaints about the JI extreme car. I thought it was a crack up.

What about the tough guy at kfc? "touch my drink and ill break you" :rolf:

nflin3
21-09-07, 06:30 PM
surprised there hasnt been more complaints about the JI extreme car. I thought it was a crack up.

Chris "OK not a sporting person?"

~lee~
21-09-07, 08:08 PM

The suicide car was hilarious.

I liked another line from the kfc one when asked to leave he says 'What?.. during midgame' :)

DIEHARD
25-09-07, 02:03 PM
Does anyone else get the Chaser Annuals or used to get the old paper?

Steelers
26-09-07, 08:06 PM
I used to listen to their radio show back in the days of CNNNN... classic stuff.

Social Loafer
26-09-07, 08:10 PM
Does anyone else get the Chaser Annuals or used to get the old paper?

Don't they have a weekly paper out at the moment? The manic times or something?

nflin3
26-09-07, 08:11 PM
Check out their DIY storeis

HodgoBerro
26-09-07, 08:18 PM
i watched the rerun last fri what were peoples thoughts on the shrek "merchandise"?

nflin3
26-09-07, 08:33 PM
i watched the rerun last fri what were peoples thoughts on the shrek "merchandise"?

Very topical.

But they ripped the idea off today tonights story about merchandising of movies.

nflin3
26-09-07, 09:03 PM
Chaser on NOW!

No way anyone who reads that can miss it now :P

HodgoBerro
26-09-07, 09:08 PM
watching rpa

C-Whiz
26-09-07, 09:11 PM
Chaser on NOW!

No way anyone who reads that can miss it now :P

I'm watching the Ultimate Fighter finale. A bit of violence not involving me is always good. I wouldn't mind seeing Chas getting smashed by an irate victim one day. That would rate quite highly I would expect. I'd switch over for that! :)

C-Whiz
26-09-07, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Fighter finale, Fox Sports 3 for those who are interested. 2 finals tonight, middle and light-heavy, with support bouts. On now.

nflin3
26-09-07, 09:14 PM
For those on chaser (if not podcast :P) ROFL t Latelines second camera

nflin3
26-09-07, 09:39 PM
Very good Chaser as usual but a bit week in some places.

Very funny but no Lough out Loud funny but still very very amusing like the soup part and ASS SOL.

Nobody likes satire anymore :(

DIEHARD
26-09-07, 10:08 PM
The bit with Alexander Downer crashing and burning on Lateline was hilarious.

It must make Rudd feel better about his blooper, especially considering Downer had time to prepare for the question.

nflin3
26-09-07, 10:17 PM
The bit with Alexander Downer crashing and burning on Lateline was hilarious.

It must make Rudd feel better about his blooper, especially considering Downer had time to prepare for the question.

AAAAnd not to mention Downer was the leader of the Liberal party and looking to go into the election hoping to be Prime Minester.

So in short I will announce my bias by saying dont vote for Kevin Dudd

DIEHARD
26-09-07, 10:22 PM
And Downer had how much time to prepare and rehe**** his little routine?

He couldn't even answer the question without his notes!

nflin3
26-09-07, 10:29 PM
And Downer had how much time to prepare and rehe**** his little routine?

He couldn't even answer the question without his notes!

I think you are missing the point that nobody knew. Although seeing downer squirm was so funny.

But hey at least he got there in the end even if he was laughing :P

DIEHARD
26-09-07, 10:39 PM
TONY JONES: You mentioned earlier he was pinged on not having the detail in his head about the tax rates. You've got them in your head have you?

ALEXANDER DOWNER: Yeah, well I'm not aspiring to be the Prime Minister. But I mean, that of course is not a trick question, it's a predictable question so maybe it's not fair to ask me, but I know that the highest tax threshold comes in at $150,000, it goes up to.

TONY JONES: Could you actually go backwards and do them all like the Treasurer did in Parliament today? You're checking your notes...(laughs)

ALEXANDER DOWNER: (laughs) I do myself attest that I think you'll find that the next threshold, the 40-cent rate comes in at $75,000.

TONY JONES: Don't look down, don't look down. Not allowed to look...

ALEXANDER DOWNER: Don't look down. I think I know them pretty well. I think you'll find that the 30-cent rate, that comes in at about $30,000. But I mean, I'm not trying to be the Prime Minister.

TONY JONES: Not at this stage, you think you've totally given up on that ambition, have you?

ALEXANDER DOWNER: Well, I was the Leader of the Opposition myself and that was admittedly a very long time ago, and I think that was my chance, albeit a fleeting chance.

TONY JONES: Alexander Downer, I'll relieve you from having to look down at that bit of paper that's obviously got the tax rates written on in front of you.

ALEXANDER DOWNER: (laughs) Not at all, how can you be so cynical? Well, if I was Kevin Rudd and I wanted to launch a tax policy, I think I'd first of all I'd learn something about the tax rates before I did so.

:duh:

nflin3
26-09-07, 10:42 PM
Downer was pretty good.

Maybe a TGYH contestant next series?

~lee~
27-09-07, 07:37 AM
I didnt think this episode was very good, the Soup was the best sketch of the night. The under the table camera was hilarious.

nflin3
27-09-07, 01:46 PM
I didnt think this episode was very good, the Soup was the best sketch of the night. The under the table camera was hilarious.

You obviously missed if life was a musical.

And what about ASS SOL or Classic Albums- Whales lol

DIEHARD
27-09-07, 03:24 PM
The Sol music clip was very appropriate. Telstra should never have been privatised, especially in a country this large.

Super Cronk
27-09-07, 05:31 PM
Very funny episode, the music segments are a tad boring tho, funny in patches but getting old already.

~lee~
28-09-07, 09:55 AM
You obviously missed if life was a musical.

And what about ASS SOL or Classic Albums- Whales lol

if life was a musical was an alright segment but i didnt find either of the other 2 all that great.

There was a sketch about a film or something and then a lady and a man talking afterwards, i didnt understand what was going on, maybe someone here can enlighten me.

DIEHARD
28-09-07, 04:56 PM
There was a sketch about a film or something and then a lady and a man talking afterwards, i didnt understand what was going on, maybe someone here can enlighten me.

I really liked that bit.

Super Cronk
28-09-07, 07:50 PM
if life was a musical was an alright segment but i didnt find either of the other 2 all that great.

Yeah you wouldnt get that, being from pommy land. They are two movie critics they have their own tv show here in australia.

DIEHARD
28-09-07, 07:55 PM
Yea the show actually follows the Chaser and Summer Heights High on Wednesdays at 10pm ABC.

C-Whiz
29-09-07, 09:29 AM
TBH, I'm a bit over these guys. Some of it is very funny, but a lot of it is the same stuff recycled. Also, most of what they do would be considered harrassment if an "ordinary" person did it. Personally I don't see what is so funny about being an annoying prick sending a bowl of soup back for stupid reasons. Yes, it is mildly humourous to watch, but it is at the waiters expense, and he's just trying to do his job. Hardly the work of comic geniuses.

I'd say 3/10 for originaltiy (recycling old jokes/scripts) and 4/10 for humour (some is gold, most is obvious or set-up). It's time the Chaser guys got back to pulling the piss out of pollies. It's what they do best.

DIEHARD
29-09-07, 04:34 PM
Hopefully as soon as our evil patriach calls the election, they can attack!

DIEHARD
30-09-07, 02:05 AM
Chaser may follow Kath and Kim

POPULAR television comedy group The Chaser may follow Kath & Kim and defect from the ABC to the Seven Network.

Seven has emerged as the favourite among the commercial networks to sign The Chaser team after a bidding war for the satirical comedians' next television series.

"We are obviously not closing our eyes to the rest of the Australian TV world or the world," The Chaser's Julian Morrow told The Sunday Telegraph.

"We've been approached all over the place but the God's honest truth at the moment is we are desperately trying to make the remaining War On Everythings for the ABC and we are not anywhere near signing anything with anyone."

The Chaser team has nine episodes to go on the current series of War On Everything with the ABC.

They will then undoubtedly ramp up their discussions with TV networks for next year.

Nine is also believed to be keen on signing the comedic troupe but is unlikely to trump Seven, which is in the box seat.

"We are aware that there is interest all over the shop but we haven't concluded that even internally," said Morrow.

"You can't appreciate how time-hungry this show is. There is just not space to make those calls."

After three series with the ABC and launching themselves internationally, comedians Gina Riley and Jane Turner took their hugely popular Kath & Kim series to Seven.

Their show premiered on Seven in August and attracted a massive audience of more than 2.5 million viewers, making it the most watched television program of the year so far.

An industry source said The Chaser group, made up of Morrow, Craig Reucassel, Chris Taylor, Andrew Hansen and Chas Licciardello, had watched Kath & Kim's move to Seven closely.

The Chaser attracts an audience of more than 1.5 million people each week, a massive figure for an ABC program.

A recent episode, where a number of The Chaser crew were arrested after breaching APEC security, for which they will appear in court on Thursday, attracted an all-time audience high for the show of 2.24 million viewers nationally.

Moving to a commercial network would provide The Chaser with an even greater platform to reach more viewers.

A commercial network is also likely to have more money to inject into their production.

"They are talking to all of the various networks and over the past 12 months there has been a series of discussions between The Chaser and Seven,'' the source said.

"It would be fair to say that The Chaser has seen what Kath & Kim have done in moving across to Seven and maintaining the integrity of the program and the fact that a program can successfully migrate from the ABC to a commercial network.''

Seven head of programming Tim Worner wouldn't comment.

"At this time we are not willing to comment on matters of national importance,'' he said.

However, Morrow said there was a chance The Chaser may stay with the national broadcaster. "We are certainly talking with the ABC,'' he said.

"We have always said we are pretty happy with the ABC and we regard the ABC as the natural home of The Chaser.

"We are just nowhere near any definitive resolution of what we are doing next at this stage.''

DIEHARD
30-09-07, 02:07 AM
To be honest a lot of the charm of the Chaser is the fact they are on the ABC.

But they should be able to enjoy the rewards of their fantastic show and if that means going to a commercial network, so bet it.

I think they will defect.

Trust me in television no one is your friend and loyalty doesn't exist, they should take what they can get.

DIEHARD
30-09-07, 02:14 AM
Chaser lot may be let off for the APEC stunt

AUTHORITIES are considering dropping charges against the ABC's satirical The Chaser's War On Everything for breaching APEC security.

It is understood that the case against 11 members of the program will be adjourned until December, leading to speculation the matter could be dropped altogether.

The program's prank, which involved a fake Canadian motorcade being driven into the APEC security zone early this month, backfired when police arrested the group for coming within metres of US President George Bush's hotel.

The set-up on September 6, which received international coverage and a record audience when it aired on TV the following week, included a convoy of three hire cars, motorbikes and security guards.

Two on-camera members of the team, Chas Licciardello and executive producer Julian Morrow, along with production staff and limousine drivers hired by the show were arrested for breaching APEC security restrictions.

The group were charged and due to be in court on Thursday.

However sources said the case will be postponed and prosecuting authorities could drop charges against the 11.

The group has previously claimed it did not expect to get as far as it did into the security area, claiming police had waved them through various checkpoints.

It wasn't until Licciardello, dressed as Osama bin Laden, got out of the car that police finally realised something was wrong.

http://www.smh.com.au/

DIEHARD
30-09-07, 06:42 PM
Chaser crew still face court on Thursday

Members of the ABC's satirical television show, The Chaser's War on Everything, charged with breaching security during Sydney's APEC conference, will appear in court this week despite speculation charges against them may be dropped.

Ten men and one woman aged between 25 and 47 were charged with entering a restricted area without justification after breaching the multi-million dollar APEC security operation on September 6 by driving a fake motorcade through security checkpoints.

The convoy of three black cars, decked out to resemble an official Canadian motorcade, came within metres of the hotel where US President George W Bush stayed, before finally presenting themselves to authorities.

Among those arrested was Chas Licciardello, who sat in the back of one of the cars dressed as Osama bin Laden.

A Fairfax newspaper reported that the matters will be adjourned until December "leading to speculation the matter could be dropped altogether".

"We go to court on Thursday," a spokesman for The Chaser told AAP.

"(News of the charges being dropped) is pure speculation and the first we heard about this was the newspaper report today."

The spokesman said lawyers for the 11 had not been informed of any change to charges and the last advice they received was they were expected to attend court on Thursday.

He said the journalist who wrote the Sun-Herald article had not contacted the members of The Chaser team for comment.

A NSW Police Force spokesman said there had not been advice of any change to the charges against the 11 actors, producers and assistants.

NINEMSN

travop
30-09-07, 10:00 PM
the chaser cant go to comercial tv it just wont be the same

DIEHARD
30-09-07, 10:11 PM
the chaser cant go to comercial tv it just wont be the same

I agree, but they deserve the cash. And there is no loyalty in show business.

Unless the government or Rudd announces a special funding package to keep the Chaser on the ABC! :rolf:

travop
01-10-07, 08:57 AM
rudd maybe not howard hes too uncool for the chasers but your right there is no loyalty in show buisneuss

~lee~
11-10-07, 07:57 AM
Last night Chasers was the best for a while i thought. Every segment was pretty funny especially the election part and the injury bit. Hopefully they can keep up this quality for the rest of the series.

DIEHARD
11-10-07, 11:39 AM
I thought it was a great episode. I thought the Foxtel ad was well done. The election sketch was great.

What they need to do is expand and get more segments and then randomise it so we don't get the same segments every episode, it's pretty ordered at the moment.

Super Cronk
12-10-07, 10:22 PM
Police are investigating a comedy sketch broadcast on ABC TV's Chaser's War On Everything on Wednesday night.

The sketch involved a member of the Chaser dressed as a courier delivering a number of comical items, including a loud ticking bag.

During the filming of the show the crew tried to deliver the ticking package to the offices of Sydney Water and Energy Australia, who complained to the police.

Police have taken a number of tapes from the show's producers after executing a search warrant.

In a statement, ABC TV says the Chaser chose the loudest and most deliberately comical ticking device, to ensure that the people involved in the filming could not think there was any real threat.

Source: ABC

Coaster
12-10-07, 10:24 PM
I dunno i just dont get these guys..

jenny
12-10-07, 10:30 PM
I'm over the terrorist thing being funny really..and in bad taste, considering Bali's Anniversary this week..Doubt if the Relatives would see the comical side of it. But hey...thats just me.

~lee~
12-10-07, 10:32 PM
The bomb sketch was hilarious. I want to see more ones like that.

hugebrianfan
12-10-07, 11:42 PM
yeah its mean when they make jokes about these kind of things..

C-Whiz
13-10-07, 07:07 AM
Hey, I know, maybe they could dress in Biological suits and run into a building evacuating it, telling everyone there is Anthrax in the air-conditioning or something, and when everyone is panicking on the street below they can go, "Surprise, it's just a funny skit!". And all the people would just laugh, because it would be sooooo funny! And if the authorities pressed any charges it could only be because they don't have a sense of humour!

And then they could always use the defence, "We had a fake biological symbol on our suits that no one could have possibly thought was for real."

These guys have lost credibility as satirists or comedians with me. I don't find delivering a ticking package to be funny. They are scraping the barrel now. They need to refresh and find something new. At least they have an election coming up. Hopefully they can get back to pulling the piss out of the campaign, which is what they do best.

~lee~
13-10-07, 07:27 AM
A biological suit stunt was done on either jackass or trigger happy, i forget which.

I dont understand how people dont know who they are, they do all these different things to the public and never seem to be recognised.

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 03:28 PM
I also wonder how they aren't recognised. Especially as they are on Today Tonight and ACA and newspapers all the time. It certainly has changed since a few years ago.

But then again they are on the ABC.

I think they need to focus more on the Election in the coming weeks.

travop
13-10-07, 05:28 PM
IMO everyone needs to chill out about this, the chasers aren't targeted to an audience of neh sayers but the audience that wants something diffrent like what the chasers gives us.
the chasers dont go out and cause mass havork or anything like that its just some simple pranks pulled on simple folk like all of us

Social Loafer
17-10-07, 11:43 PM
oh boy the fit is going to hit the shan tomorrow.

DIEHARD
18-10-07, 12:01 AM
oh boy the fit is going to hit the shan tomorrow.

I'll say! It will be a storm tomorrow. I can't believe they did that, they are insane. They managed to stir up and offend how many people in 2 minutes?

I dont even think the podcast is online anymore.

Social Loafer
18-10-07, 12:06 AM
lets see

Steve Irwin
Kerry Packer
James Packer
Princess Diana
Stab Zemanek
Peter Brock
Belinder Emmett
Anna Coren..

Did I Miss anyone?

DIEHARD
18-10-07, 12:11 AM
lets see

Steve Irwin
Kerry Packer
James Packer
Princess Diana
Stab Zemanek
Peter Brock
Belinder Emmett
Anna Coren..

Did I Miss anyone?

Don Bradman....Um...

Gonzalez
18-10-07, 12:32 AM
Ha. I hate the over sensitive types of people;

It's all in entertainment. If you don't like, then simply don't watch and complain.

DIEHARD
18-10-07, 03:45 AM
Chaser's war on dead celebs

AN offensive song about dead celebrities has embroiled the ABC comedy show The Chaser's War On Everything in controversy once again.

Entitled The Eulogy Song and classified as "M - Very Co****", the tasteless ditty which aired last night attacks a number of leading Australians and international luminaries including Princess Diana.

The song contains a lurid verse about Princess Di's sexuality.

Irate viewers rang the ABC switchboard to complain about the song after it aired and talkback radio hosts were inundated with comments about its content.

The song has offended the family, friends and relatives of many of the people lambasted in the lyrics.

The song was sung by Chaser comedian Andrew Hanson during last night's show.

With a chorus line "Even Wankers Turn Into Top Blokes After Death", the song attacks wildlife campaigner Steve Irwin who was killed by a stingray in September last year and champion racing car driver Peter Brock who died a week later, after crashing his car during a car rally.

The song claims Brock was so anti-green he drove into a tree.

Radio show host Stan Zemanek comes in for some severe criticism in the song which describes him as a "xenophobic racist jock, whose views were more malignant than his brain".

Former Channel 9 boss Kerry Packer is called a "tax cheat" and the late cricket legend Sir Donald Bradman is labelled a "grumpy bastard".

The song also makes light of the actions of the Tasmanian mass murderer claiming "when he dies even Martin Bryant will look a saint".

The comedy crew (as part of the sketch's planned ending) stopped Hanson when he began to launch into a verse about former Home and Away star and wife of Rove McManus, Belinda Emmett who died of cancer in November last year.

Queenslander
18-10-07, 08:40 AM
Yeah the show was going well last night until that song. I understand that they want to push the envelope however that song was wrong IMO.

GCT_89
18-10-07, 09:25 AM
imo i think the skit was bloody hilarious and the only verse that would have crossed the line would have ben the belinda emmet one....thus it wasnt even a verse........the rest were all in good humour.......

good show last night..... too bad my abc reception kept ***ing up!!!!!

DIEHARD
18-10-07, 12:33 PM
The Chaser defends song about dead celebrities

A song poking fun at dead celebrities which was performed on the ABC's Chaser's War On Everything last night was the "watered down" version, says its writer Chris Taylor.

"It's a song that I first wrote for my play Dead Caesar at the Sydney Theatre Company and, if anything, we slightly watered it down for television," Taylor said today.

"I think it makes a fair enough point that people who were flawed in life are often disproportionately hailed as saints in death," said Taylor, after the song attracted the attention of talkback radio.

As the ABC show's title suggests, nothing is sacred on The Chaser's War on Everything, not even dead celebrities.

The song, performed last night by Andrew Hansen, took aim at celebrities such as Princess Diana, Peter Brock and Steve Irwin.

Despite reports that ABC switchboard was inundated after the song, the ABC said that by 9am today there had been only six calls from viewers about last night's program, and three of those were positive.

An ABC spokesman said there had been more callers since then, but that they had been incited by a Melbourne talkback radio presenter.

When asked, many of the callers said they hadn't seen last night's show.

In the song, Hansen begins with a fictional story of his grandfather, who he describes as a misogynist and cantankerous.

As part of the sketch, Hansen was stopped by his fellow Chaser members when he began a verse about Rove McManus's wife, Belinda Emmett, who died after a long battle with breast cancer.

"By stopping the song at the mention of Belinda Emmett's name is, I suppose, the Chaser's way of saying that's where we draw the line," Taylor said.

"We weren't making a joke about Belinda Emmett. We were making a joke about the inappropriateness of making a joke about Belinda Emmett."

Last night's episode was watched by 1.5 million viewers, making it the second most watched show of the night behind Channel 10 drama House.

Capital_Shark
18-10-07, 02:28 PM
haha they draw the line at some washed up soap star (who just happens to Rove McManus' late wife) but will have a shot at a bloke like Irwin, who on the grand scale, has done a lot more good for the world than Belinda Emmett ever has. Why the hell would she be where they draw the line?

Social Loafer
18-10-07, 04:07 PM
Circumstances of their death. Irwin went out doing something he loved.

Capital_Shark
18-10-07, 04:13 PM
Circumstances of their death. Irwin went out doing something he loved.

They still ended up the same depth below ground. I just can't see why its Chasers War on *Everything.

*Belinda Emmett not included.

Super Cronk
18-10-07, 04:47 PM
Awesome episode, song was funny IMO.

~lee~
18-10-07, 07:03 PM
Another good episode for the Chaser, loved the sleeping part, the election watch and of course the song was hilarious.

Chaos
18-10-07, 07:14 PM
haha they draw the line at some washed up soap star (who just happens to Rove McManus' late wife) but will have a shot at a bloke like Irwin, who on the grand scale, has done a lot more good for the world than Belinda Emmett ever has. Why the hell would she be where they draw the line?

You hit a good point Sharky...the song lost all it's meaning after having a go at Steve Irwin.

nflin3
18-10-07, 10:41 PM
Chaser song 'just wrong'

Australia's political heavies have dumped on The Chaser's latest attempt at humor.

Kevin Rudd has blasted the ABC's satirical program for a song, in which the team pillories Princess Diana as a ****, as "absolutely disgusting" and "just wrong".

John Howard said that although he found some The Chaser's work amusing, this was just "totally distasteful and despicable''.

On the specifics, he said: "Heavens above, that kind of stuff about Don Bradman and Steve Irwin is contemptible and has basically blotted their copy book."

Mr Howard said humour like that achieved nothing.

"Why don't they stick to decent, dirt-free humour that we can all enjoy?"

The ABC television comedians last night broadcast a song which declared "even tools turn into top blokes after death".

It lambasted the media's reporting on the deaths of celebrities including Princess Diana, Steve Irwin and Peter Brock.

Campaigning in the city of churches, Mr Rudd slammed the stunt.

"I have said before that I have enjoyed the Chaser's work but I would say to those guys at the Chaser this is absolutely disgusting," he said.

"Guys - you really need to lift your game, guys - this is just wrong."

The controversial song poking fun at how flawed people are worshipped after death and performed on The Chaser's War On Everything, was a "watered down" version of the original, says its writer, Chris Taylor.

"It's a song that I first wrote for my play Dead Caesar at the Sydney Theatre Company and, if anything, we slightly watered it down for television," Taylor said today after the song attracted the attention of talkback radio.

"I think it makes a fair enough point that people who were flawed in life are often disproportionately hailed as saints in death."

As the ABC show's title suggests, nothing is sacred on The Chaser's War on Everything, not even dead celebrities.

The song was performed last night by Andrew Hansen.

However, despite reports that ABC switchboard was inundated after the song, the ABC said before 9am today there had only been six calls from viewers about last night's program, three of them positive.

An ABC spokesman said there had been more callers since then, but that they had been incited by a Melbourne talkback radio presenter. When asked, many of the callers said they hadn't seen last night's show.

Neil Mitchell's 3AW morning program had a flood of talkback callers saying they were offended by The Eulogy Song. However, some callers told others to turn the program off if they did not like what they were hearing.

The song was not mentioned on Jon Faine's ABC radio program and a producer said the show had not received any calls about it from listeners.

In the song, Hansen begins with a fictional story of his grandfather, who he describes as a misogynist and cantankerous.

"But all that was forgotten when he took his final breath, even pricks turn into top blokes after death," he sang.

He sang of the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, who "lived in khaki, a cartoon kamikaze, who taunted crocs and tots so frequently", and Peter Brock, "some rev-head who pumped the air with pure lead".

This was followed by the chorus line, "even tools turn into top blokes after death".

The Eulogy Song has been performed in both seasons of Dead Caesar, which featured Hansen in the lead role.

As part of the sketch, Hansen was stopped by his fellow Chaser members when he began a verse about Rove McManus's wife, Belinda Emmett, who died after a long battle with breast cancer.

"By stopping the song at the mention of Belinda Emmett's name is, I suppose, The Chaser's way of saying that's where we draw the line," Taylor said.

"We weren't making a joke about Belinda Emmett. We were making a joke about the inappropriateness of making a joke about Belinda Emmett."

Last night's Chaser episode was watched by 1.5 million viewers, making it the second most watched show of the night behind Network Ten drama House.

with Jane Holroyd and AAP

DIEHARD
19-10-07, 02:11 AM
Widows wage war on The Chaser

THE GRIEVING ex-partner of Peter Brock and Stan Zemanek's widow have slammed The Chaser's War on Everything's "stomach-churning" attack on their dead husbands as "cowardly", "repulsive" and "unfunny".

The tasteless musical item entitled The Eulogy Song mocking dead celebrities aired during Wednesday night's show outraged some viewers with its offensive remarks about "****" Princess Di, "greedy tight ****" Don Bradman and "brothel cheat" Kerry Packer with its chorus-line "Even wankers turn into top blokes after death".

The Chaser's songwriter Chris Taylor said he had no regrets and was not surprised the song had offended some.

"Out of consideration" to Marcella Zemanek, the show's Julian Morrow phoned her earlier in the week to warn her about the song in which her husband is described as "a racist jock, a fatso xenophobic ****, whose views were more malignant than his brain".

"I had a panic attack, I woke up at four o'clock in the morning scared to death about about what they were going to say about Stan," Mrs Zemanek said yesterday.

She said it was "absolutely loathsome" for all the families affected.

"I thought of Ros Packer, Terry Irwin. I thought, these women, we've all lost our partners and sure, they were in the public eye, but it doesn't give them the right to kick them when they're dead.

"When they are alive they've got some way of responding but you don't do it when they're dead and it's left to the family to deal with it."

Brock no longer a Chaser fan

Bev Brock dismissed the song as "distasteful" and "totally lacking in consideration".

She said the family had enjoyed The Chaser "until now" but would be turning off after the ABC team displayed such a lack of respect for the family.

"It's sad these very talented people have stooped to this level to get a bit of attention with such total disregard for families like ours.

"They're talking about people who gave an enormous amount to society and this song has come at a great cost to their families."

Taylor said it did not enter his head when writing the song it might offend the familes of the deceased, saying it was not the job of The Chaser team to "think about those sort of things".

"While you're always sympathetic to people who have experienced a loss, it's not really a reason to censor yourself," he said.

He said the mention of Belinda Emmett was different because "she didn't live a life of hypocrisy or selfishness" unlike the others in the song.

~lee~
19-10-07, 09:16 AM
Even nathan will be a top bloke after death :woot:

travop
19-10-07, 04:35 PM
here we go, another talkback and morning talk show arguement about the chasers, we should have a tally board off all the contoversial things the chasers have done

Queenslander
24-10-07, 08:39 AM
Anna Coren praises Chaser 'mates'

By Mike Bruce
October 24, 2007 12:05am

ANNA Coren loves The Chaser's War on Everything.

Every Wednesday, she is right there with 1.5 million others watching the irreverent ABC funnymen mock her show, her brand of current affairs and her.

"Oh yeah," she says deliberately.

"I think what they do is really good. I think they're talented and I think they're very funny and I enjoy watching them send us up."

Coren even counts the comics among her friends. She sounds almost proud when recounting she was one of the more hardcore revellers at The Chaser's recent wrap party.

'Okay' with attacks on Today Tonight

"Those guys happen to be mates of mine. They don't attack me personally, they attack the show, they attack the genre and they attack me (as the host). That's fine," she says.

Coren says she is neither scared nor upset by the broadsides fired during their segments, What We Learned From Current Affairs This Week including The Anna Coren Segue.

She watches partly out of curiosity about how they will manage to craft yet another slight about Today Tonight.

"No truly. I don't (have any fear). I just always wonder what they will come up with.

"I was speaking to one of them the other day and they were like, 'Anna, where's the material? Come on, give it to us, we're running out here'."

"I'm not precious. You have to take it as a form of flattery if they're paying you that much attention and having you on their show.

"I should be on their bloody payroll."

Coren's show 'an abomination'

Chaser Chas Licciardello says his crew like Coren, but maintain their rage for the show.

"In all our dealings with Anna she's been a genuinely nice, sweet person," he said..

"But the show she hosts is an abomination and should be eliminated for the good of humanity."

Coren concedes their acerbic parody of the genre is "sometimes" justified and she doesn't "really have a problem with it".

But deep down you sense that the weekly blows The Chaser throws could well be hurtful to her.

'Wants to be proud of Today Tonight'

When she took over TT from Naomi Robson early this year, she ambitiously stated - as did Ray Martin before her when he returned to A Current Affair - that she wanted a show to be proud of.

Ask Coren if she is enjoying the TT hosting role and the ambiguity and hesitancy may speak volumes: "Yeah, no, I am, I am ... yeah, no, it's all going well.

"And yeah, no, it's good."

And is she proud of what her show has become?

"The stories I do I am proud of, the interviews I do I am proud of ... I make sure the stuff I do personally I am proud of."

'Chipping away' at more serious journalism

In terms of injecting her brand of more serious journalism into TT, she says, "We're getting there" and "chipping away".

She points to interviews with heavy-hitting politicians and serious figures such as anti-Islamic feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

"It's an evolving process. My background is news ... I would love to make the program a bit more newsy and I think we are slowly doing that.

"We've had the PM on at least half a dozen times and we had Kevin Rudd on, and (we're) doing stories that matter to me.

"You have to do it gradually."

Proud of journalism career

Coren does get upset, though, at media commentators dismissing her journalistic experience and painting her with the tabloid brush.

The Australian's Amanda Meade said earlier this year: "If Coren thought she could hang on to her journalistic credibility and host Seven's TT, she was seriously misled."

Coren counters: "I certainly know what I've achieved in my career.

"I think when people ... wipe out what I have done in the past, that's when I have a bit of an issue.

"I certainly know what I was doing the past couple of years.

"I certainly think the stuff that I do, the stories, the interviews I conduct, have integrity and credibility."

Can be both 'Baghdad and boob-jobs'

Despite TT's tabloid recipe working well with viewers - it rated 1.354 million last week about 207,000 above ACA - Coren believes there is room to take the show further upmarket, provided it retains a good mix.

Producer Phil Goyen says: "I don't understand why it has to be one or the other, either Baghdad or boob-jobs - it can be both."

Coren says: "I do think it's workable and I have always said if the show has a staple it's about getting the mix right.

"You need that variety, that light and shade."

www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
25-10-07, 03:59 PM
Cracks appear in Chaser team

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5718329,00.jpg

THE Chaser's War on Everything could be about to turn into a war on each other, with speculation the pressure of the past few weeks has escalated tensions within the TV troupe.

Audience members were kept waiting for two hours before shooting for the pre-recorded show began on Tuesday night as the team thrashed out their ideas for the program, with noticeable tension in the air when the cameras finally rolled.

Sources close to the ABC show said there have been growing creative differences between the comedians.

Despite the controversies of the past few weeks - including a public backlash over a song about dead Aussies and its top-rating APEC security stunt episode - cast member Chas Licciardello laughed off suggestions of growing behind-the-scenes divisions.

"We hate each other just as much as we always have," he said.

"Our show isn't usually finished until Tuesday night and unfortunately the audience bear the brunt of it.

"We are just incredibly disorganised.

"I implore our politicians to get their business done earlier in the day so we can turn around our pieces earlier."

Licciardello said it was not the first time the audience had been kept waiting.

"We do a run through and that's where we see all the clips for the first time and have a meeting where we discuss if there's anything we want to drop," he said.

"We just started late."

The satirical team is also busy working on two election specials.

DIEHARD
29-10-07, 02:25 AM
Chaser's war on the world

THE Chaser's War On Everything has controversially conquered Australia in the TV ratings and now it's going global.

The satirical ambush comedy series is now being screened in Israel, South Korea, New Zealand, Norway and Finland.

The ABC is also in talks with more than 20 other countries - and the biggest interest is coming from the Middle East.

ABC international sales chief Karen Dacey has just returned from MIPCOM TV trade fair in Cannes and said the APEC stunts generated huge interest - as had Summer Heights High.

"Both shows were our biggest hits and there was a huge word of mouth buzz about them," she said yesterday.

"It shows both can travel but The Chaser really hit a chord because everyone had heard of them from APEC.

"Our Middle Eastern clients especially loved them and the Iranian buyers thought they were hilarious and they could be seen there."

Other territories are looking at picking up the series which is re-edited for the world market with local politics taken out.

They include Latin America, eastern Europe, Germany, Denmark, Poland, Japan, Thailand, Spain, Canada, Holland and the US. Producer and Chaser member Julian Morrow said the international market had always been on their radar.

~lee~
29-10-07, 11:47 AM
No need to take out the local politics. They mention people enough throughout the series to understand who they are. I wonder why there is no interest from the UK, people here would love their humour.

DIEHARD
01-11-07, 06:49 AM
Facebook 'friends' ambush Kevin Rudd

Federal politicians are bending over backwards to expand their networks on Facebook and MySpace, but how strong are their newfound friendships?

The gang from The Chaser's War on Everything sought to test how much politicians value their social networking buddies by arriving at Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd's house with 50 of his Facebook "friends".

It comes as social commentators are now questioning whether "friend" is the right term to use for our online pals.

Many amass social network connections as though they're collecting stamps, but the relationships are often only skin deep. Typically, real-world friends form just a small fraction of our total MySpace or Facebook pals.

In a segment from tonight's episode of The Chaser, already published on the show's MySpace profile, Chas Licciardello and a horde of 50 people posing as Mr Rudd's Facebook friends ambushed him as he was returning home.

"We've come for a friendly sleepover seeing as we're all good friends, so what do you reckon?," Licciardello asked.

"I didn't know you had any friends Chas?," a jovial Mr Rudd retorted.

Mr Rudd politely declined the offer ("I'd love it but i've been on the road for two weeks nearly and i've got the kids waiting for me") and proceeded through his front gate. Licciardello followed behind with a can of spray paint, offering to "write on his wall".

But Licciardello admitted today: "There is no Santa Claus and they weren't really Kevin Rudd's friends; they were the first 50 people we could gather at a moment's notice in Brisbane on Saturday."

Mr Rudd has 5000 friends on Facebook - the maximum allowed by the site - and over 20,000 on MySpace. Prime Minister John Howard's Liberal Party page and Federal Treasurer Peter Costello's profile on MySpace list 9 and 227 friends, respectively.

Workplace Relations Minister Joe Hockey is one of the more popular Liberal politicians on MySpace with 982 friends. But his Labor rival Julia Gillard trumps this figure, boasting 2817 friends.

A recent study by evolutionary psychologist Will Reader of Sheffield Hallam University in Britain found most people have five close friends and this number did not change when they joined a social network. In other words, most online friends are little more than acquaintances.

There are even various online tools that allow social network users to add masses of friends automatically based on criteria like zip code, gender, orientation and age.

"True friendship requires not merely connection and face-to-face contact, but risk - the risk of disapproval, of heartache, of being thought a fool," wrote Christine Rosen, fellow at Washington's Ethics & Public Policy Center, in the Wall Street Journal.

"Social-networking websites may make it easier to accumulate 'friends', but as a medium for the cultivation of genuine friendship, they are a poor substitute for the real thing."

THE AGE

I WISH THEY CALLED ME, I ACTUALLY AM ONE OF KEVIN'S FACEBOOK FRIENDS AND I LIVE IN BRISBANE.

Me and Kevin often chat on MSN and play WoW, he has a level 27 Gnome priest.... *cough*

travop
03-11-07, 08:11 PM
kevo plays wow
man that tensions thing is aca getting crabby at the chasers

C-Whiz
04-11-07, 07:54 AM
[B][U]
Mr Rudd has 5000 friends on Facebook - the maximum allowed by the site - and over 20,000 on MySpace. Prime Minister John Howard's Liberal Party page and Federal Treasurer Peter Costello's profile on MySpace list 9 and 227 friends, respectively.

A very tenuous link to the thread DIEHARD, but this bit is a classic. Howard has 9 friends! :rolf:

No wonder the guy needs to force people to turn up on voting day. Only 9 people can be bothered to link to his page. :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Hoppy2007Dragons
04-11-07, 02:02 PM
I think its more the fact no one is checking his page and accepting requests.

Mine is still pending. :p

DIEHARD
07-02-13, 12:27 PM
Was shattered to hear Chas say on PMLIVE nowdays that he is no longer a ninja turtle fan.

DIEHARD
27-03-13, 02:45 AM
YES WE CANBERRA should be great this year, maybe one of the few saving graces of what will be a negative and personal campaign from both sides.

DIEHARD
22-04-13, 03:58 AM
Anyone watch their new show CHECKOUT about consumer affairs on Thursdays on ABC?

I love it. Im a passionate advocate for consumer affairs and also the comedy is a good mix. Love seeing companies get owned.