PDA

View Full Version : robina stadium

no free passes
24-09-05, 08:08 PM
i wasn't living on the gc during chargers times. but now i already feel a real sense of loyalty to the titans. here's the thing tho, i'm thinking that any stadium built in robina is likely to go under water in any significant amount of rain. any one elses thoughts on this?

Moejoe
24-09-05, 08:51 PM
From what I have seen of the zone recently, Alot of earth moving equipment is there. I would dare hazard a guess that they will raise the ground significantly before building of the stadium commences.

footyfan09
24-09-05, 10:36 PM
From what I have seen of the zone recently, Alot of earth moving equipment is there. I would dare hazard a guess that they will raise the ground significantly before building of the stadium commences.

Yes they would have to.. Robina was like under water last time it rained heavily

DeeGan
25-09-05, 12:14 AM
i wasn't living on the gc during chargers times. but now i already feel a real sense of loyalty to the titans. here's the thing tho, i'm thinking that any stadium built in robina is likely to go under water in any significant amount of rain. any one elses thoughts on this?

Have faith that those in charge of making a multi million dollar decision have covered all hypotheticals when settling for Robina as our home base for 2008 ;)

Cheers

DeeGan

Steve Dangerous
25-09-05, 01:00 AM
Yes, I've heard they're currently raising the land.

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 07:39 AM
I'm sure the council would have thought of that when the robina option was given to them. That would have been like my first thing to check anyway.

Eel 33
25-09-05, 11:50 AM
What's the capacity going to be? If it's anything less than 30000, ill be disappointed. Imagine that stadium absolutely chockers for the team's first finals match. You'd really want the "Collusieum" as a feared place for visiting teams.
Even tho i'm in Sydney, I won't attend a game until the "Collusieum" is built. Carrara is almost the worst ground i've been to.

Teegy
25-09-05, 11:51 AM
What's the capacity going to be? If it's anything less than 30000, ill be disappointed. Imagine that stadium absolutely chockers for the team's first finals match. You'd really want the "Collusieum" as a feared place for visiting teams.
Even tho i'm in Sydney, I won't attend a game until the "Collusieum" is built. Carrara is almost the worst ground i've been to.
But small stadiums give good atmosphere. WIn, Kogerah etc

Dakink
25-09-05, 11:57 AM
Werent they aiming for 25k?

Titans#1
25-09-05, 12:06 PM
I would say it will be in the 30k to 40k mark. Can't be much bigger than that. All I know is that the council did a good job of the new exhibition centre, I'm sure they'll do even better with this one.

Cliffy GC
25-09-05, 12:37 PM
25-30k

would be ideal

if they could make it a smaller suncorp it would be perfect

Eel 33
25-09-05, 01:03 PM
I agree with you Cliffy GC, that sort of atmosphere would be daunting.

I can see your point Teegy but look at the problems a few teams had in the last few weeks of the comp. The sold out sign went up at between 18-23000. If theyre building a purpose built stadium, do it right first time, minimum 30000. Still get a decent crowd but nothing as extreme as a half empty Telstra Stadium.

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 02:14 PM
I heard around the 15K mark, but i might have read wrong.... A smaller suncopr would be cool, maybe design it like the collosuim. But it would have to be reqtangle wouldn't it?

Inferno
25-09-05, 10:27 PM
I thought the first stage of it was for around 20 000 and the next stage was for 30 000 - 35 000.

I remember them saying if it got to the second stage maybe they would get an origin match one day. Maybe slightle wishfull thinking there :rolleyes:

Dakink
25-09-05, 10:28 PM
Oh Heaven!!!

Origin on the Coast!

captain charger
26-09-05, 01:42 PM
25,000 is the capacity.

GC Titans
26-09-05, 01:56 PM
25,000 is the capacity.

Where did you get that from?

TITAN PETE
26-09-05, 02:11 PM
It wil be around the 25k mark (I HOPE) & if any of you have been to a sold out game in Sydney like Kogarah,Parra,Penrith etc then you would understand what i'm on about, it's awesome . If you have been to Suncorp with 18000 there it looks & feels empty , so we don't want a monster that is half full for most games when we can have a sellout almost every round. :cool:

Eel 33
26-09-05, 03:34 PM
25000 is not enough. You'll never get an Origin game ( if it was ever in the pipeline ) with that small crowd. I agree with TITAN PETE, the atmosphere is awesome, but the Coast needs a ground for rectangular sport which can hold a decent crowd. As i said b4, 30000 should be a bare minimum.

Storm
26-09-05, 08:51 PM
I live only a stones throw away from the new Robina stadium and yes when it rains here it rains but I'am sure like mentioned before the people building the stadium will take that into account.
Drainage here isnt real good.

The real issue for me is traffic flow.

Robina station is just down from the stadium land which will help some people coming from Brisbane and the north part of the Gold Coast but anyone south will have to find another way here.

The huge downside is the roads surrounding the site, basically they are only wide enough for local traffic and are only one lane wide in each direction no matter which way you come.

The off-ramps from the highway are close to the stadium as well but again the roads surrounding the stadium just wont be able to cater for a crowd of 20,000+ people, even half that amount would be a struggle.

Is there any plans for widening the local roads or some other expansion to cater for the much larger anticipated traffic flow?

Mattiger
26-09-05, 10:20 PM
just wandering but by the sounds of it the answer is 'no'...

have any plans been submitted for the new stadium?

Sharks
27-09-05, 06:11 PM
Titans supporters wont let it rain on their parade,I dont care if the players have to play waste deep in water! :D

Teegy
27-09-05, 06:15 PM
Titans supporters wont let it rain on their parade,I dont care if the players have to play waste deep in water! :D
In that case lets sign Thorpie, Hackett and Huglel(Geoff but i can't spell his last name)

Dakink
27-09-05, 07:22 PM

Especially for the first game Ill go even if I have to wear scuba gear!