PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Walker junior Kangaroos game

lonegull
15-10-07, 11:06 AM
By Matt Marshall
Daily Telegraph

October 15, 2007 12:00am

TWO stunning try-saving tackles from emerging Titans sensation Shannon Walker on Brisbane-contracted Junior Kiwi centre Alex Glenn failed to save a fast-finishing Junior Kangaroos in Wellington yesterday.

With scores locked 22-22 midway through the second half, the classy fullback twice kept a spirited Australian fightback on track before South Sydney's Kiwi skipper Eddie Paea potted a late penalty goal to secure a tense 24-22 win at Westpac Stadium.

With New Zealand having surrendered a 22-12 halftime lead, Glenn bombed a golden opportunity for the Kiwis to regain the lead, a three-on-one break thwarted by Walker's tackle after Glenn ignored his support runners.

Then, with Glenn again set loose down the left-hand flank, Walker - Tweed Heads' Queensland Cup grand final hero and state league Player of the Year - muscled up to bump the Bronco three-quarter over the sideline.

But his efforts, and that of his fast-finishing side, proved in vain.

Earlier, a first-half double to fellow Gold Coast-based flyer, Kiwi Kingi Akaloa, helped to condemn the Roos.

Leading 12-0 after the opening 10 minutes, the Australians were swamped, New Zealand scoring four unanswered tries to carry a 22-12 lead into halftime.

The Junior Roos also included Tweed Heads forward Will Matthews and Devils duo Aidan Tolman and Joel Thompson.

AUSTRALIAN Indigenous under-18 coach Tony Currie last night played down a vicious all-in brawl that marred his side's 48-16 rout of New Zealand Maori under-18 in Wellington yesterday.

Kiwi back-rower Cruz Neho sparked the fight, launching a king hit on Titans-contracted hooker Josh Costello in reaction to a strong tackle, before the incident descended into mayhem.

The incident escalated sickeningly as Maori teammate Jaram Wihongi-Henare raced in as third man, with the ugly stoush then spilling over the sidelines with both benches, trainers and officials all involved in either inflaming or attempting to defuse the nasty brawl.

Great to see Shannon Walker still carving them up but this time defensively also has anyone heard of the Junior Kiwi winger Kingi Akaloa he is meant to be contracted to the titans havent heard of him before though

Kelvinator
15-10-07, 12:25 PM
i have never heard of him before, but when i was viewing the live scorecard of that game online, it kept coming up "another massive hit by kingi", so he must be very strong defensively. I thought he was a forward with the way they were talking about him - turns out he is a winger though.

jenwood
15-10-07, 01:38 PM
He is a former Keebra Park State High student.I think he has been in Sydney for 1 or maybe 2 seasons since he left school.

patskE
15-10-07, 05:23 PM
nice effort
you guys rkn he get a start somewhere in the backline?