PDA

View Full Version : Centenary Test: New Zealand vs Australia

Queenslander
04-10-07, 08:27 AM
New Zealand Kiwis vs Australia Kangaroos
Sunday 14th October; Westpac Trust Stadium, Wellington; 4:00pm (NZ), 2:00pm (AEST)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/New_Zealand_Rugby_League_logo.jpg vs http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/ARL_1998.jpg/150px-ARL_1998.jpg

Referee:

Team Notes:

- Kiwis Coach Gary Kemble has confirmed six players will make their debuts for the Kiwis in the Centenary Test against the Kangaroos in Wellington next Sunday (October 14).

- In trimming his original 19-man squad, Kemble handed first test jerseys to wingers Luke Covell (Cronulla) and Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers), halfback Jeremy Smith (South Sydney), prop FuifuiMoimoi (Parramatta) and loose forward Jeremy Smith (Melbourne) with Melbourne prop Jeff Lima included on the interchange bench.

- Named 18th man is Warriors back rower Louis Anderson and the 19th man is young St George Illawarra centre Chase Stanley.

- The selection means two players with the same name will appear in the same test side for the first time in New Zealand rugby league history – Jeremy James Smith in the No 7 jersey and Jeremy Jon Oscar Smith in No 13.

Kangaroos

- Cameron Smith will captain the Australian Test team against New Zealand on Sunday 14th October in Wellington.

- Manly fullback Brett Stewart, Cronulla duo Greg Bird and Paul Gallen, Melbourne duo Cooper Cronk and Ryan Hoffman and Newcastle's Kurt Gidley have all been selected for their Test debuts and Jarryd Hayne will play in his first Test after being in the squad for the Tri Nations last year without playing a Test

- Melbourne Storm youngster Israel Folau has been called into the Kangaroos side to replace injured Broncos centre Justin Hodges.

Teams

http://www.rlwc08.com/pix/flags/newzBar.jpg

KRISNAN INU
LUKE COVELL
STEVE MATAI
PAUL WHATUIRA
TANIELA TUIAKI
BEN ROBERTS
JEREMY SMITH
ROY ASOTASI
DENE HALATAU
FUIFUI MOIMOI
SIMON MANNERING
FRANK PRITCHARD
JEREMY SMITH

Interchange:

DAVID FAIUMU
SHONTAYNE
SAM RAPIRA
JEFF LIMA

Coach: Gary Kemble

http://www.rlwc08.com/pix/flags/australBar.jpg
1 Brett Stewart (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
2 Greg Inglis (Melbourne Storm)
3 Mark Gasnier (St.George-Illawarra Dragons)
4 Israel Folau (Melbourne Storm) for Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
5 Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)
6 Greg Bird (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
7 Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8 Brent Kite (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
9 Cameron Smith, captain (Melbourne Storm)
10 Petero Civoniceva (Brisbane Broncos)
11 Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
12 Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne Storm)
13 Paul Gallen (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

Interchange:

14 Kurt Gidley (Newcastle Knights)
15 Willie Mason (The Bulldogs)
16 Steve Price (New Zealand Warriors)
17 Michael Crocker (Melbourne Storm)

Coach: Ricky Stuart

hammer
04-10-07, 02:40 PM
Hodges out, Folau in for Kangaroos
Courtesy of ABC Website

International call-up ... Israel Folau scored 21 tries in his debut NRL season with the Storm (Getty Images: Mark Dadswell)

Map: Brisbane 4000
Premiership-winning Melbourne Storm youngster Israel Folau has been called into the Kangaroos side to replace injured Broncos centre Justin Hodges for the one-off Test against New Zealand next week.

Hodges was ruled out earlier today with an ankle injury, and Australian selectors have confirmed that the 18-year-old Folau will take his place in the Kangaroos' backline alongside Dragons centre Mark Gasnier.

Folau's call-up caps an amazing debut season for the Melbourne centre, who equalled Matt Bowen as the NRL's leading try-scorer for the 2007 season with 21 four-pointers, also collecting the Dally M rookie of the year award before taking part in the Storm's grand final win over Manly on Sunday night.

He becomes the sixth player from the Melbourne Storm to be named in the Kangaroos side for next Sunday's match in Wellington, joining Cameron Smith (captain), Greg Inglis, Ryan Hoffman, Cooper Cronk and Michael Crocker.

The team is having its first training session in Sydney today.

Kelvinator
04-10-07, 02:52 PM
funny that he pulled out of the jnr kangaroos with a shoulder injury but is right to play now.

Super Cronk
08-10-07, 06:12 PM
Apprently Smith rushed back to QLd today to visit his mum who is very sick. Some reports say that he will re-join the side later and will play this weekend...but you never know i guess.

Hope his mum gets better, best wishes to Smith and his family.

jenny
09-10-07, 05:55 PM
Australia prepares for hard slog

By Dean Ritchie
October 09, 2007

AUSTRALIA is preparing for a gruelling and grinding Test match this Sunday after being greeted in Wellington yesterday by gusting winds and heavy rain.
Winds in Wellington reportedly hit 100km/h, with coach Ricky Stuart already acknowledging the Test against New Zealand could be a slog.

"I think you will find it will be a real battle up front," Stuart said last night. "The conditions will attract that type of a game.

"New Zealand have picked a very powerful and physical side from their wingers right through to their front row.

"A bench always to me indicates how good a team is and I think New Zealand has chosen a very strong bench.

"We have to be physical but also play very smart."

New Zealand will be relying heavily on its hulking front row pair of Roy Asotasi and Fuifui Moimoi.

Fox Sports

Queenslander
09-10-07, 06:34 PM
Apprently Smith rushed back to QLd today to visit his mum who is very sick. Some reports say that he will re-join the side later and will play this weekend...but you never know i guess.

Hope his mum gets better, best wishes to Smith and his family.

Smith is now in New Zealand training with the squad before the game, so we will see Smith running on in the green and gold on Sunday!

Capital_Shark
09-10-07, 06:45 PM
2PM Sunday arvo? WTF? I expected a Saturday night. Sunday arvo sucks.

Queenslander
10-10-07, 04:46 PM
Six Kiwis to debut in Centenary Test

Written by: NZRL media release

October 10th, 2007 04:35 PM

Kiwis Coach Gary Kemble has confirmed six players will
make their debuts for the Kiwis in the Centenary Test against the Kangaroos in Wellington next Sunday (October 14).

In trimming his original 19-man squad, Kemble handed first test jerseys to wingers Luke Covell (Cronulla) and Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers), halfback Jeremy Smith (South Sydney), prop FuifuiMoimoi (Parramatta) and loose forward Jeremy Smith (Melbourne) with Melbourne prop Jeff Lima included on the interchange bench.

Named 18th man is Warriors back rower Louis Anderson and the 19th man is young St George Illawarra centre Chase Stanley.

The selection means two players with the same name will appear in the same test side for the first time in New Zealand rugby league history ? Jeremy James Smith in the No 7 jersey and Jeremy Jon Oscar Smith in No 13.

There has been a previous instance of two players with the same name appearing in the same Kiwi side but it was in a tour match against Queensland in 1925. Jim O'Brien, a second rower from Devonport, had Marist prop Jim O'Brien as a team-mate (Marist, prop) in that match.

With two Smiths and four other new players, Kemble is excited about the prospect of fielding such a new-look side in such a significant test.

?We?re really happy with the players we have and the whole squad has come together well since we?ve been in camp,? said Kemble.

?This will be one of the most exciting tests in some time with so many players set to make their test debuts, not just in our team but in the Australian side as well.?

Of the New Zealand side that played in this year?s Anzac Test, only two remain in the backline ? Inu and Roberts. The other survivors are captain Roy Asotasi, the most experienced test player in the team with 17 appearances, hooker Dene Halatau, back rowers Simon Mannering and Frank Pritchard and interchange forwards David Faiumu and Sam Rapira.
Mannering was in the centres in the Anzac Test.

Centres Paul Whatuira and Steve Matai plus interchange utility Shontayne Hape are recalled after missing the Anzac Test. Matai and Hape were both involved in the Tri Nations campaign last year while the last of Whatuira?s 11 tests was last year?s Anzac Test.

KIWIS:

KRISNAN INU
LUKE COVELL
STEVE MATAI
PAUL WHATUIRA
TANIELA TUIAKI
BEN ROBERTS
JEREMY SMITH
ROY ASOTASI
DENE HALATAU
FUIFUI MOIMOI
SIMON MANNERING
FRANK PRITCHARD
JEREMY SMITH

Interchange:

DAVID FAIUMU
SHONTAYNE
SAM RAPIRA
JEFF LIMA

Super Cronk
10-10-07, 05:22 PM
Cant wait for this game. Mainly to see how Cronk handles rep footy.

I think the aussies will just demolish the kiwis tho....i expect a belting and a half.

jenny
10-10-07, 06:50 PM
Kiwis under pump against Roos: Gidley

October 10, 2007

Kangaroos utility Kurt Gidley believes the New Zealand rugby league team is under immense pressure to lift the country's spirits after the All Blacks were knocked out of the Rugby World Cup.

Gidley has been selected on the Australian bench for Sunday's Test match against the Kiwis at Wellington's Westpac Stadium, one of seven debutants in coach Ricky Stuart's new-look side.

New Zealand have picked a monster pack, led by skipper Roy Asotasi, and Gidley expects a physical tussle with some added spice after the All Blacks - who arrived home on Wednesday - suffered a surprise quarter-final defeat to France.

"All the games I've watched in the past (between Australia and New Zealand), it's always a pretty physical game," Gidley said.

"No doubt it's going to be like that again and being a home game for them, they're going to be nice and fired up.

"They've probably got the rest of the country's weight on their shoulders to try to win this game after the All Blacks got knocked out."

Gidley's Newcastle Knights suffered through a turbulent 2007 NRL season, including the retirement and subsequent drug-taking confessions of favourite son Andrew Johns and a lowly 15th-place finish on the ladder.

But Gidley relished a switch to fullback and was given plenty of freedom by Knights coach Brian Smith, a move which led to his first Origin call-up and a spot in the original Kangaroos train-on squad.

He then did enough in camp to earn a spot in Stuart's final 17-man squad.

"After a disappointing year for the club it was a nice way to finish the season off being picked in the team and playing my first Test," Gidley said.

"It's all fallen into place. I'm glad I stayed behind and trained with the train-on squad and did the work and got picked in the team.

"I think the move to fullback definitely suited me the most this year and I really enjoyed playing there.

"Being picked for my first Origin game and then this has been a great year for myself."

Gidley expects to see time at five eighth or hooker on Sunday, but his versatility could prove a real asset for the Australian team, particularly if they suffer any injuries.

Australia have won the past five clashes against the Kiwis dating back to the 2005 Tri Nations final, but Gidley believes there is little between the two sides.

"I think the game's getting more equal around the world," he said.

"With New Zealand and England it's starting to get a bit tighter these days, especially Australia and New Zealand games.

"It's not as black and white as it used to be."

Everyone made it through a wet training session in Wellington for the Australian side, which is a short $1.36 favourite with SportsTAB to New Zealand's $3.

? 2007 AAP

jenny
11-10-07, 05:52 PM
Chalmers takes aim at 'pale Kangaroos'

October 11, 2007

The head of the New Zealand rugby league claims the current crop of Kangaroos are a pale imitation of Australian sides of recent years, setting the scene for a fiery trans-Tasman Test on Sunday.

NZRL chairman Andrew Chalmers said he found himself "chuckling" at reports the Australians had picked a side capable of taking the fight up to the Kiwi forwards, claiming the Kangaroos would be exposed at Westpac Stadium this weekend.

Injuries have forced the Australians into blooding eight debutants against the Kiwis, and Chalmers believes they may not be able to handle the heat at what is affectionately known as 'the cake tin'.

"In recent years Australian teams have had that formidable look about them, dripping with super, super, super talent," Chalmers said.

"I think when you look at this team it's not as formidable as in recent years.

"It's a very classy side, but in my opinion they're a bit vulnerable."

Chalmers took aim at the Kangaroos pack, and in particular claims that it contained a little more mongrel with the inclusion of the likes of Willie Mason and Michael Crocker coming off the bench.

"I was in Sydney after the grand final and was diligently reading all the press and chuckling away to myself," he said.

"There just seemed to be this common theme that the Australians were picking a side that was going to muscle up and come over here and do the business and make it a tough, physical encounter.

"Well we'll see how tough they are on Sunday won't we?

"I think they're vulnerable and we're going to find out how tough they are."

The Australians have enjoyed a quiet preparation in cloud-covered Wellington.

Their only hiccup has been a desperate search for an alternative training venue after their initial choice was deemed unsuitable following recent rain.

But they resisted the urge to take a nibble at Chalmers' bait.

"If Andrew says that, that's the way he sees it," veteran prop Steve Price said.

But former skipper Gordon Tallis, who was in Wellington for a special luncheon involving the two teams and New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark to celebrate 100 years of rugby league in New Zealand, rubbished the outburst.

"(Nathan) Hindmarsh, (Petero) Civoniceva, Dallas Johnson, Willie Mason - are these guys soft? Come on," Tallis said.

"I'd never write any Test side off, ever.

"Games are never played on paper - it's going to be tough, every Test match is tough."

Price, who will return to the Test fold for the first time since Australia's embarrassing 2005 Tri-Nations final loss to the Kiwis, said everyone picked in the Kangaroos squad was up to the task.

"When you look at the guys that have been chosen, they've all got a fair bit of NRL experience so it's not as though they're just new on the block," he said.

"They've been around for a while and they've been given an opportunity through some injuries to players that would have probably been there like (Darren) Lockyer, (Johnathan) Thurston and those sort of guys.

"But they deserve the opportunity, it's not as though they're there because there's no-one else, they've been fighting over each other to get those spots.

"When there's still guys like Matty Bowen and Billy Slater and Matt Orford and Mark O'Meley not in the side - it's not as though they can't play."

The Australians have ditched a waterlogged Evans Bay Park in preference for Rugby League Park as their training venue, but even that is likely to be wet with persistent rain in Wellington all week.

Rain is expected to continue through to the weekend, which will only increase the likelihood of a forward-dominated slugfest on Sunday afternoon.

? 2007 AAP

jenny
11-10-07, 05:53 PM
Kiwis set up Folau-Tuiaki monster mash

October 11, 2007

Wingers aren't normally associated with size, power and brute force - but then again Kangaroos teenager Israel Folau and Kiwi man mountain Taniela Tuiaki aren't your average wingers.

The two Test rookies will go head to head in Sunday's trans-Tasman Test at Westpac Stadium after New Zealand coach Gary Kemble revealed he would shift left winger Luke Covell to the right where he will oppose another debutant in Jarryd Hayne.

"It's not really to combat Folau or anything, it's a comfort thing," Kemble said.

"Luke can adapt anywhere really whether it be right or left and Taniela's only ever played on the left.

"It's going to be great to see those two players (Tuiaki and Folau) go up against each other because the crowds love them.

"Both of them score tries, both are big, strong and powerful."

Tuiaki, who struck fear into opposition wingers as he catapulted his 188cm, 105kg frame into the fray, shared his time between the wing and the backrow with Wests Tigers this year.

But Kemble said he was unlikely to be shifted to the pack given the Kiwis have four forwards on the bench.

Kemble may also be reticent to move Tuiaki off the flank given he may be the only player with the size and speed capable of keeping Folau, who scored a club record 21 tries in his rookie NRL campaign with Melbourne, under control.

The Kangaroos say they have seen little sign of nerves from Folau during his time in camp, with most taken aback by the sheer magnitude of his frame.

"He's six foot four, 103 kilos and he's barely 18 - I'd hate to see him when he's 24, 25," said roommate Mark Gasnier, who will play inside Folau on the right edge.

Prop Steve Price said Folau's stunning introduction to the NRL reminded him of the way in which former Bulldogs teammate Sonny Bill Williams burst onto the scene in 2004.

But having seen how Braith Anasta struggled with the burden of being tagged 'the next Brad Fittler', Price said comparing young players with former greats was both unfair and unrealistic.

"(Folau's) outstanding in his own right," Price said.

"He's Israel Folau. Sonny Bill Williams is Sonny Bill Williams and it was the same when Sonny came through - they're young and they've got to earn (the praise).

"Potentially they can be outstanding but potential is a bad word because they've shown at times they can be brilliant, but they've got to be able to do it every year for a long period before they can be known as greats of the game.

"Being only 18-years old, I think it's really bad to try compare him to Mal Meninga or Sonny Bill Williams or whoever it might be.

"I've found guys that have been compared (to great players) don't usually reach the heights because of the extra pressure.

"When Braith came through it was the next Brad Fittler - it's really hard on a young guy to be in that situation.

"I don't think Israel's a guy that gets caught up in it all ... he's just trying to be an 18-year-old kid living his dream."

? 2007 AAP

Super Cronk
11-10-07, 05:56 PM
Bring it on. Izzy will handle him WITH EASE.

DIEHARD
11-10-07, 05:58 PM
This is building as a huge match, I am just disappointed it isnt a series!

I'm looking forward to this a lot more than the Grand Final.

jenny
11-10-07, 06:02 PM
Will Fox Replay it?...We have to work!:mad:

jenny
12-10-07, 09:17 AM
Allan Langer's advice to rookie Cooper Cronk
Matt Marshall
October 12, 2007

CHAMPION halfback Allan Langer has warned Kangaroos debutant Cooper Cronk to sink his teeth into Sunday's trans-Tasman Test or risk becoming a passenger.

Langer, Queensland's second most-capped Test halfback behind Barry Muir, recalls a horror Test outing at London's famous Wembley Stadium in 1990 ? in just his fourth international ? as a timely warning to the untried Cronk.

The 23-year-old Storm premiership winner, set to become just the 16th Test halfback from Queensland, will play his first senior rep match in Sunday's Test in Wellington.

Cronk will link in the halves with equally raw pivot Greg Bird in Australia's most inexperienced backline ever.

"I don't want to be overawed by the occasion. I don't want to be running around like a headless chook," Cronk said.

Langer said he learnt the hard way at Wembley ? when Great Britain stunned Australia 19-12 in the opening Test of the 1990 Kangaroos Tour ? just how intoxicating the preamble of Test football can be.

"It's hard to block it all out," Langer said. "I remember at Wembley, it was one of the first Tests I played, and meeting all the dignitaries and the anthems ? I got caught up in all of that and the game got away on me.

"I could never get into it. I was caught in the emotion of playing at Wembley. It's definitely a different experience, playing for Australia. He just needs to play his own game."

Langer believes the key to success is for the Brisbane junior to quickly overcome emotions and get down to business.

"Emotions play a big role in Test footy. He can't afford to let the game get away from him," Langer said. "He'll (Cronk) get out there and there will be the haka and the anthems so he'll have to get involved early."

Cronk yesterday declared he expected to be overcome with emotion at Westpac Stadium.

"I got emotional in the grand final when the anthem played so this will be 10-fold, representing my country," Cronk said. "You sit at home watching the haka and think: what are the Australians thinking? I want to soak it up. It's bloody exciting.

"I've got zero expectations . . . but I just want to soak it all up."
COURIER MAIL

DIEHARD
12-10-07, 11:16 AM
Kiwis and Kangaroos both fielding new halfbacks

It's an oddity that both the Kiwis and the Kangaroos will field new halfbacks in the test in Wellington this weekend.

Andrew Johns and Stacey Jones are gone, bring on Cooper Cronk and Jeremy Smith.

Smith has beaten Thomas Leuluai to the seven jersey despite Leuluai having played there before. Coach Gary Kemble has made it clear the job is Smith's longer-term if he puts his hand up to take it.

At 26, with plenty of lower-grade international experience behind him, Smith said he was comfortable with steering the game.

"Hopefully I'll go out and prove to the boys that I'm the man for the job. I don't feel too much pressure having to fill Stacey's boots. If you think about it too much you might feel the pressure because they're big boots to fill. I've always wanted that jersey. I'm a pretty passionate bloke so to get it is a really big buzz. I hope to do it justice."

Smith was a halfback when a junior at the Waiheke Island club then moved to Kaeo in the north and to fullback, returning to halfback in his late teens. He played for the Junior Kiwis and NZ Maori before shifting to Australia.

He freely admits he didn't take that first opportunity. "I wasn't thinking of footy as a career. My discipline wasn't good ... Now I realise if you really want to get there you've got to put 110 per cent in."

After a run of injuries and NRL clubs where he played in lower grades, Smith was thrown a lifeline by Parramatta in 2006 and, just weeks after his debut, was named for the mid-year test against Great Britain. But just before it, he was suspended for four weeks for pushing ref Sean Hampstead during Parramatta's loss to St George. He's learned the lesson.

Eels coach Jason Taylor approached Smith about a shift to Souths while he was negotiating to go there himself and the Kiwi did so.

He's since established himself as a regular and enjoyed the milestones Souths achieved this season, making the finals.

"We were disappointed the way it panned out [eliminated first weekend of playoffs] because we thought we had a pretty good team. We're looking to push on next season," he said.

Owner Russell Crowe was very hands-on, Smith said, he and Souths and Kiwis captain Roy Asotasi agreeing his backing was a positive.

Smith attributed his own good form and selection to Taylor's coaching. "He's a great communicator."

His opposite in the Kangaroos, Cooper Cronk, is known as a motor-mouth. He started in rugby as halfback/first five-eighths for the First XV at St Laurence's High School in Brisbane, where the yearbook in 2003 talks about his on-field chatter.

"Coop's nonstop talk was crucial to keep the team's game on track. He proved to be the team linchpin, able to turn the game around."

NZ HERALD

DIEHARD
12-10-07, 11:24 AM
Mason expects Roberts to deliver

AS he braces for a searching examination from the Australian forwards on Sunday, New Zealand five-eighth Ben Roberts has received support from one of the men expected to make his life a living hell, Willie Mason.

Roberts, a mainstay in the Bulldogs side this season, will partner South Sydney halfback Jeremy Smith as part of a new-look Kiwis combination. With a combined two Tests between them - Smith is making his debut - the pair is expected to be put to the test by the Australia forwards.

Mason, for one, believes Roberts is capable of making his mark in international football.

"He'll handle it well," Mason said. "He's had one Test this year and he knows what to expect now. He can stamp his foot on international football if he wants to.

"The opportunity is there for him. Talent-wise he's got the ability. He's a danger player, a line-breaker. He's definitely one of the aces in their pack. I'm looking forward to playing him."

Roberts, the cousin of Socceroos star Tim Cahill, made his Test debut in New Zealand's mid-year match against Britain last season.

At the time, he was only a handful of games into his first-grade career with the Bulldogs.

Since then, Roberts has become a fixture in the halves at the Bulldogs and is seen as one of the players capable of filling the playmaking void created by the retirement of Stacey Jones from the Kiwis.

"This game I am looking at myself to be more of a leader rather than a follower," Roberts said.

Asked about the extra attention from the Australia forwards, he replied: "That's something I have always copped growing up as a kid playing in the halves.

"I'm not too fussed. You have young Jeremy Smith there, as well. This is his first Test. The both of us have been expecting this for the last couple of weeks now. We're not going to try to hide. All we can do is our best in defence and hopefully make the tackles."

Kiwis veteran David Kidwell moved to ease pressure on both Roberts and Smith, stressing no one person could replace Jones.

"No one can replace that guy," Kidwell said. "This is going to be a big test. All halfbacks in this game get picked on because they're the game-breakers, the playmakers.

"These guys are playing in the NRL. They know what's going to come at them."

While the Kiwis are counting on Roberts to help orchestrate a win over Australia, the long-term beneficiaries could be the Bulldogs, whose problems in the halves were exposed during the finals series.

"He's going to be a lot better for us next year," Mason said.

"He's a talented player, he just needs to start concentrating on his football, living his football. He's had two years in the grade now, he's played semi-final football, he's played a couple of Tests.

"He's a senior player really. It's a Test match. I know the way he plays, I know the way he thinks. I'm not going to keep that away from our team.

"But I want to see him blossom into a good Test player and better club player for the Bulldogs."

http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
12-10-07, 11:25 AM
Crocker won't change hard game

HITMAN Michael Crocker has vowed to continue his brutal playing style during Sunday's Test against New Zealand in Wellington.

Crocker came under fire from Manly fans after a heavy hit took Sea Eagles fullback Brett Stewart out of the grand final.

But Crocker won't be deterred and is determined to continue playing the game hard, fierce and physical.

"I'll never change the way I play. That's the way I've played since I first came in until now," Crocker said.

"It comes down to wanting to compete. You want to get on top of your opposition player. You do that however you can, usually by going 100 miles an hour. I've played that way since I was five years old.

"I don't think I'm the toughest bloke around, probably just determined because I don't have the skill and talent of some other players.

"I like competing and I can do that in football. Football still excites me. I just love playing the game."

Crocker, 27, said time under Test coach Ricky Stuart at the Roosters and now under new New South Wales coach Craig Bellamy at Melbourne had doused some of the anger that once raged in his body.

The ferocity remains, the madness has vanished.

"I'm just playing a bit smarter now; it's part of growing up," Crocker said. "I'm not getting caught up in the niggle or abusing refs any more. Playing under Craig Bellamy has helped me.

"His defensive patterns don't allow you to rush up out of the line and put on a big shot. That's where I got into trouble in Sydney.

Manly fans continue to be outraged at Crocker's hit on Stewart despite the NRL match review committee deeming the tackle legal.

Crocker and Stewart are now Test teammates, the Storm forward still sorry, though, about the tackle.

"It was legal - just unfortunate for Brett," he said. "You don't want to see anyone injured like that."

Crocker will come off the bench on Sunday and be expected to add some starch along with other Aussie firebrands Greg Bird and Willie Mason.

"I'll be looking to add some impact and energy," Crocker said. "I want to get my hands on the ball around the ruck area and maybe find a tired defender.

"At the moment it's just great being back in the Australian team. I didn't think it (Test selection) was over but I wasn't sure I could get back into the Australian side so quickly after injury.

"To be picked is a reward for what has been an up-and-down time in my career."

Stuart said he had always been drawn to Crocker's playing style.

"Michael has always been one of my favourite players," Stuart said. "He will give us intimidation, excitement and enthusiasm.

"Other players love playing alongside Michael. That is so important."

Crocker was pleased to hear Stuart's praise.

"It's nice to get a wrap from Sticky," Crocker said. "He is a lot like myself - we are both competitive.

"That's why I think he likes me. He was always a competitor as a player and is the same as a coach.

DIEHARD
12-10-07, 11:29 AM
Any tips?

I think Kangaroos by 8. But it will be a tough one, without many of our lucky charms (Lockyer, Minichello, Johns, Webcke etc) I think we are vulnerable.

RLfan
12-10-07, 12:39 PM
Hard to say. New Zealand are a different team at home end of season. This is NZ's best chance of winning with the Aussies new 1, 6 & 7. Then again NZ's halves are very erratic ( Ben Roberts in particular)

I think they need to put Kurt Gidley into starting 5/8 and Pricey as a run on for Kite. Probably not a bad idea to start Crocker or Mason to bash the kiwis a bit.

If they make one or swaps as I suggested, I see Australia by 1 or 7 points.

jenny
12-10-07, 09:24 PM
Pressure on Kiwis to meet expectations

October 12, 2007

Australia may be laced with the burden of favouritism, but New Zealand know the pressure is on them to maintain the rage in this weekend's trans-Tasman Test in Wellington.

New Kiwis coach Gary Kemble says it is vital his side continues to close the gap between them and the world's No.1 Test playing nation, and that means no let up at Westpac Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

While they still have some way to go before reaching the summit, New Zealand are the biggest challengers to Australia's dominance of the international game, as proved by their 24-0 triumph in the 2005 Tri-Nations final.

Last year, they went within millimetres of retaining their crown when an errant Stacey Jones field goal and Darren Lockyer golden point try secured the Australians a thrilling win in the final.

"It's consistency that we're after and going up to another level with that consistency," Kemble said.

"If you're beating Australia regularly and competing with them and keeping the scores close, you're a good team.

"Over the last couple of years we've done a great job in making sure we compete with Australia, but what we want to do now is take it to another level where we're going to beat them consistently and so everybody doesn't necessarily know what the result of the game is going to be before it's even played."

Their cause this weekend hasn't been helped by a spate of unavailabilities due to injury and suspension, among their casualties arguably New Zealand's two biggest stars in Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall.

The Kangaroos are similarly affected with skipper Darren Lockyer and Dally M player of the year Johnathan Thurston also sidelined, meaning the Kiwis can't use injury as an excuse.

But NZRL chairman Andrew Chalmers believes the days of the Kiwis being a one or two man team are long gone.

"We've been able to build depth in positions and that's a long-term strategy," Chalmers said.

"Ten years ago I think we would have struggled if we didn't have this player, that player, five years ago we were still struggling, but that depth has now increased."

That depth has increased due to a more vigorous approach to identifying young players with a New Zealand background.

Schoolboy star Chase Stanley is a case in point, the young St George Illawarra star committing to the black and white after Kemble and selector Howie Tamati went to his Sydney home to convince the utility back to come on board.

Stanley was left out of the final 17 for Sunday's game, but there are six players who will make their New Zealand debut this weekend.

It means when the likes of Williams, Marshall, David Kidwell, Brent Webb and David Fa'alogo return to the fold, the Kiwis will have a group more than capable of matching it with the Australians.

"It's an exciting period for New Zealand rugby league and the team with the young kids coming through," Kemble said.

"We've got seven players out at the moment ... yet still we've come up with a formidable side."

? 2007 AAP

Old Diehard
13-10-07, 12:53 AM
You know what's great about this test- THE TIME IT'S SHROWN ON TV!!! Perfect time on a Sunday Arvo to get together with mates, some beer and settle down and enjoy!

PERFECT!

(won't help the rating though ! because 10 people watching the one TV is not as good as 10 people watching 10 different TV alone!)

To those that have to work Sunday Arvo and I sympathise because I often do too! , Fox 1 is replaying the game at 8:00pm later that night.

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 01:08 AM
Yea I love the timing. We never have Sunday arvo Tests in Australia anymore but they sure do in New Zealand and god bless them for it.

A Sunday afternoon Test Match has a special magic feel and gives a great opportunity for a BBQ and get together with friends.

My friends are all over the place with tips, from the Kangaroos flogging the Kiwis to the Kiwis flogging us! It's gonna be great!

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 01:46 AM
I can pass as a pivot, says Bird

GREG Bird as Darren Lockyer's heir apparent? It may sound a stretch but one man who believes it can happen is wearing the Kangaroos' No.6 jersey in Wellington tomorrow.

Cronulla's Bird will use the Test match to show he is more than just a running pivot. He also said he would try to convince his club and national coach, Ricky Stuart, to play him at five-eighth during next year's NRL season.

Lockyer will retire from representative football after the 2008 World Cup and Bird, who has spent most of his first-grade career at lock, has a tremendous opportunity against New Zealand to show his wares as a playmaker.

"People say that I'm just a ball-runner but I have really been working hard on my passing game this year," said 23-year-old Bird, who starred in the position for a winning NSW side during Origin III this year.

"I have some quality players outside me like Greg Inglis and Mark Gasnier and I'll have to make sure I feed them the ball."

Asked if he considered himself as Lockyer's successor, Bird replied: "I haven't really thought about it like that, but I really enjoy playing there and representing Australia, and I am only young coming through, so I am in a good position for that to happen.

"I have never had a problem developing my running game, that has been a strength. I want to show people that I can also pass."

Bird's former club coach, Chris Anderson, who brought the youngster to Cronulla from Newcastle, believes he is capable of replacing Lockyer.

"There's not a lot [of depth] at five-eighth now so he is certainly a possibility," Anderson said. "It all depends on how much he wants it. He came to us as a raw kid, he always had plenty of skill.

"He doesn't need to go and change his game too much. You don't really want two ball players. He is playing for Australia [and may be playing] with Johnathan Thurston who is a wonderful ball player, so he could stick to what he does and also pass it on when he needs to."

The Kiwis privately feel Bird can be exploited with a rushing defence, and will attempt to unsettle him early in the Test match.

But the West Maitland product is welcoming the challenge.

http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 01:47 AM
Stuart calls on senior service to steer rookies home

KANGAROOS coach Ricky Stuart has told his senior players to lead the way as Australia prepare to blood eight debutants in tomorrow's Centenary Test against New Zealand at Wellington's Westpac Stadium.

With Australia fielding one of the biggest contingents of new faces in the 100 years of trans-Tasman Tests, Stuart revealed he had discussed the inexperience in the line-up with Petero Civoniceva, Nathan Hindmarsh, Mark Gasnier, Willie Mason and Steve Price.

He said it was up to the five, who have 88 Test appearances among them, to show the rookies what is expected of Australian players on and off the field.

"Usually a lot of the senior players have been in form and have kept their positions, but this year there has been a lot of changes and it gives it a different flow," Stuart said.

"I've sat down and spoke to the senior players about showing the younger boys how and why they've been involved in the Australian team for so long.

"It just an attitude thing and I've asked Hindy, Willie, Pricey, Petero and Gaz to lead by example in regards to … how you dress, how you present yourself, and how you act as an Australian representative."

With the Kiwis also having six Test debutants in their side, there is an air of uncertainty about how the two teams will perform.

The weather is also expected to have an impact, with wet and windy conditions predicted after a week of rain in Wellington.

As a result, the Australians decided to switch training venues yesterday and had a lengthy session that included an opposed session against the Junior Kangaroos at Rugby League Park, now the home of the Wellington Hurricanes Super 14 team.

"The conditions do weigh heavily in favouring the style of game that the Kiwis play. Their strength is obviously their forwards and they've got very aggressive outside backs," Stuart said. "They've got a team of very much power players that these conditions can help in regards to that type of game.

"We'd probably prefer a dry track but that's why we came over here on Monday, to acclimatise to the conditions and experience what the ground is going to be like. They're predicting gale-force winds so we'll probably get a couple of seasons in one game."

Of the newcomers, those under most pressure are the rival halves pairings of Australia's Cooper Cronk and Greg Bird and New Zealand's Jeremy Smith and Ben Roberts.

While Cronk and Bird are viewed merely as back-ups to the injured Johnathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer, the Kiwis have few other options for the No.7 and No.6 jersey,s and Stuart promised to fully test Smith and Roberts.

"It's an area we can certainly attack, it's no secret we will be doing that but, in saying that, they are playing at international level, so they'd have to be fairly handy players," he said.

With two Jeremy Smiths in the New Zealand line-up, the South Sydney halfback and the Melbourne back-rower, the Kiwis have been struggling to find a nickname for one to avoid any confusion with on-field calls.

There has also been some off-field problems, with one of the pair having their flight to England on Monday for the Kiwis' three-Test series against Great Britain and next weekend's historic All Golds match inadvertently cancelled in the belief there had been a double booking.

Both players go by the nickname "Jezza", and plans to call one of them JJ also failed, as Souths' Jeremy Smith has the middle name James and the Melbourne one's is Jon.

The Kiwis had a light run at Westpac Stadium yesterday, enabling their kickers to practise in the swirling conditions.

Cronulla winger Luke Covell has bee given the goalkicking duties, with Parramatta's Krisnan Inu as his back-up. Kiwis v Kangaroos

Sunday 1pm (AEST), Westpac Stadium, Wellington. Referee: Steve Ganson

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 01:49 AM
Gaz finds the blood runs gold and green

Until this season, Mark Gasnier would never have considered going to the annual Kangaroos reunion. Until this season, the St George Illawarra co-captain never really understood what it meant to play for the Dragons.

Until this season, Gasnier hadn't fully appreciated the benefits of his famous surname.

And he didn't care much for the media, either.

While he played only four premiership matches for the Dragons, Gasnier admits 2007 was his most important season of development.

Sidelined for 19 weeks from the pre-season Charity Shield with a ruptured pectoral muscle, the player regarded as the world's best centre gained a fresh appreciation of why he plays league and the club he plays for.

As a result, the 26-year-old international has now taken it upon himself to ensure younger players coming through are aware of the history and unparalleled success of the Dragons.

"I think it's been a really good year of learning for me," Gasnier told the Herald on the eve of tomorrow's Test against New Zealand. "I guess it wasn't until halfway through the season that I made a decision that I wanted to make a difference.

"It wasn't that I didn't care before but I now realise what an influence I can have and I really want to make the most of it.

"Besides really wanting to win a premiership, I just think we are a club with so much tradition and so much pride and that needs to be bestowed upon the players.

"I don't think a lot of the young guys coming through know enough about that."

But it's not just at St George Illawarra that Gasnier is keen to ensure traditions are passed on.

Gasnier and Australian teammates Willie Mason and Nathan Hindmarsh last month became the first current Test players to attend a Kangaroos reunion in recent memory when they joined former internationals Craig Fitzgibbon and Andrew Ryan at the annual get-together the day before the grand final and he is now urging more players to go.

"We thought we hadn't really earnt the right to go, we thought you had to play 20 or 30 Tests and be one of the greats," Gasnier said. "But it was a really, really good night and when you looked around the room it was unbelievable. All of the legends of the game were there and just to hear the way they talk about the jersey when they played just blows you away.

"I'd been sort of oblivious to a lot of that before but it was really good. You meet, have a few beers, they put on a smorgasbord, then a few of the guys get up and basically say thanks for coming and some others tell some funny stories and you just enjoy each others' company. It's funny, everyone sits down and they all sit on tables of the tours they went on.

"I'll definitely be going back and they said 'we want all the young guys to come, we want this tradition to continue'.

"It's a bit of a changing of the guard in the Test team, there are a lot of debutants here now, so I think it's important we bring them into an environment where there is a lot of tradition and pride in the jersey so they can pass it on when they are the senior guys."

But where exactly did this new-found maturity and sudden desire to be a leader come from? Gasnier was, after all, the player sacked from the NSW Origin team in 2004 for leaving a lewd voicemail message on a woman's mobile phone.

He credits some of it to the media work he did with Channel Nine while recovering from the injury, saying he began to change his views: "I've never really been a fan of the media but I really enjoyed it and the people were nice. I guess with my name I was always going to come through with a lot of scrutiny."

But mostly it would appear to be simply a case of Gasnier growing up.

"When I first came into grade at 17, I was just living the dream but now I'm a bit more settled," he said. "I've got more of a balance in my life and I think you definitely need that. I remember Phil Gould telling me you need to find a balance to make football as enjoyable as it should be so, between travelling, surfing and family, I try to do that."

After the one-off Test, Gasnier and his girlfriend, Claudine, are flying to Cairo and will spend 3? weeks travelling in Egypt, Oman and Saudi Arabia.

He tries to do one big trip at the end of every season and wants to learn to speak Spanish.

But winning a premiership is Gasnier's biggest goal and he challenges suggestions that the Dragons blew their best chance to do so when they were eliminated in the 2005 and 2006 grand final qualifiers.

"I can see why people think that and it still hurts, but we're blessed at St George Illawarra, we're always going to have young talent coming through because the Illawarra just keeps producing good players," he said.

"I'm only 26 and we've still got those young blokes coming through, so the main message I want to get across is for them to make sure they appreciate the opportunity when it comes and don't take it for granted. A premiership is for a lot of players a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so make the most of it."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/

Old Diehard
13-10-07, 02:21 AM
Yea I love the timing. We never have Sunday arvo Tests in Australia anymore but they sure do in New Zealand and god bless them for it.

My friends are all over the place with tips, from the Kangaroos flogging the Kiwis to the Kiwis flogging us! It's gonna be great!

I'm tipping a close one. Apparently it's going to be in the wet - so I expect a lot heavy forward stuff.

You know after the All Blacks were knocked out of the Rugby World Cup , the timing couldn't be better for League in NZ to have a win! Would be good for the game, Big Time over there.

And Diehard is right- love the fact that the Kiwis are keeping the tradition going in afternoon tests and I hope the lousy weather doesn't deter a big crowd turning up in Wellington!

Who am I picking - ah hell gambling isn't one of my vices so I really can't choose but I reckon she'll be a CRACKER!

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 02:27 AM
I'm going for the Kangaroos, that's for sure.

Old Diehard
13-10-07, 03:21 AM
Yeah I want the Aussies to win naturally enough - but I'm not confident enough to put my money where my mouth is!

(PS - Hey Diehard -I'm getting paid to be up at this time of night . What's your excuse?. )

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 03:24 AM
(PS - Hey Diehard -I'm getting paid to be up at this time of night . What's your excuse?. )

Hahaha, I'm a sad case. I'm actually talking politics with a friend on MSN, he is a Liberal.

Old Diehard
13-10-07, 03:27 AM
Hahaha, I'm a sad case. I'm actually talking politics with a friend on MSN, he is a Liberal.

MATE!!! He rally can't be too good a friend then!

Or is he the last of the liberals true believers?

In his I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is!!! I'll put a redback on the next PM being a Queenslander!!

Leave you 2 to go at it then and I hope you can win him over from the dark side!

jenny
13-10-07, 04:50 PM
Generation next on show for the Kiwis

October 13, 2007

Stacey Jones may have been small in stature, but the men entrusted with replacing the former Kiwi playmaker admit his shadow still looms large over New Zealand rugby league.

Kiwi fans will get a glimpse of generation next at Westpac Stadium on Saturday with South Sydney No.7 Jeremy Smith and Bulldogs playmaker Ben Roberts to run out in the halves in the trans-Tasman Test against Australia.

Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall remains in the frame ahead of next year's World Cup provided he can get over his recent injury woes, though Roberts and Smith have been given first crack at forming a combination that could help soften the impact of Jones' retirement from the game.

But anyone looking for a new Stacey has got another thing coming.

"It is hard following him - Stacey Jones was a great player," said Roberts, who made his Test debut against Australia earlier this year.

"But I've got my own style of play, I suppose I've just got to go out there and play that footy.

"We both play different styles of footy, but I must be doing something right if I'm here."

Securing a Kiwi jumper isn't the only battle facing Roberts, who is also locked in a three-way tussle for a halves position at the Bulldogs with Brent Sherwin and Daniel Holdsworth on the scene.

It's a similar situation for Smith at the Rabbitohs, new signing Craig Wing appearing to have a mortgage on the red and green No.7 jumper, leaving the likes of Smith, Ben Rogers and Kiwi youngster Eddie Paea to fight it out for the five-eighth role.

Smith rejects the notion that a good performance on Sunday will give him a leg up at the Bunnies, saying he just wanted a solid performance to help keep him in the picture for a start at next year's World Cup.

"We're going to play it pretty simple and pretty direct, we haven't had a long time together so I think if we try and go out there and play expansive, it might come undone," Smith said.

"Everyone knows that we've got skill, the media hype it up a bit about the bash and whatever.

"We've got a gameplan and the boys have trained well and hopefully come game time the skills will come out.

"It's a young team but an exciting one.

"We're building towards the World Cup, this is probably the first step - it's only a year away so if the boys can get on a bit of a role and get some combinations going for next year, it would be good."

? 2007 AAP

jenny
13-10-07, 04:52 PM
Kangaroos wary of windy Wellington

October 13, 2007

They may be going in as heavy favourites with the bookmakers, but the Kangaroos fear predicted gale force winds could turn Sunday's trans-Tasman Test against New Zealand into a lottery.

The rain and clouds which had blanketed the city all week finally gave way on Saturday as 'Windy Wellington' lived up to its moniker with blustery conditions wreaking havoc with Australia's final training session at Westpac Stadium.

Kangaroos skipper Cameron Smith and the side's other kickers arrived at the ground ahead of the rest of the squad on Saturday in a bid to get a handle on the conditions.

But the extra session didn't seem to do much good with the Melbourne hooker admitting he was none the wiser by the end of the it.

"It's going one way one minute and then it swings round the opposite way," Smith said.

"Both teams have got to play in it, hopefully the boys score a lot of tries and we don't have to make any kicks.

"The kicking boot wasn't on for me today, I actually kicked more with my right than my left, that's how good I was going.

"It should be interesting tomorrow, hopefully the wind dies down a bit."

Similar conditions are predicted for tomorrow afternoon, which will only serve to heighten the spotlight on what will already be a big occasion for the back three for both sides.

Australia's back three of Brett Stewart, Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne will all be making their Test debut at the 'cake tin'.

On the other side of the field fullback Krisnan Inu has just one international game under his belt and wingers Taniela Tuiaki and Luke Covell are yet to taste Test football.

"It's not a good day to be taking high balls and I'm sure there will be a few around," Australian coach Ricky Stuart said.

"Once you get inside the stadium it's a whirlwind, it just whips around the stadium, it doesn't seem to go in one direction.

"When you see conditions like this of course (you put up bombs) - both teams will be using those conditions and it goes back to the kicker that's got the ability to put it in the right place, but the wind is really unpredictable.

"We don't know what we'll get tomorrow in regards to the weather and every day this week we've had different conditions - fortunately we've got over here early and prepared for it."

But while the spotlight will undoubtedly be on the rookies at the back, Smith said there was just as much pressure on the kickers to get it right.

"The winds changing direction as we're kicking the footy so it's a bit hard to know where you want to place it," he said.

"I think we're going to be trying to keep the balls away from the sidelines as much as we can because it might end up out on the full."

Both sides trained without incident on Saturday and both are expected to take the field as selected earlier in the week.

The Kangaroos go in as $1.36 favourites with TAB Sportsbet with the home side $3 outsiders.

? 2007 AAP

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 04:53 PM
This belongs in the Test Match thread. (Moved to Test Thread.)

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 04:54 PM
Bennett scoffs at Kiwi advantage

FORMER Australian coach Wayne Bennett has rubbished claims the heavy conditions will benefit New Zealand in tomorrow's one-off Test in Wellington.

Rain continued to tumble in depressing Wellington yesterday, as it has all week.

The ground surface at Westpac Stadium will be greasy and difficult - conditions current Test coach Ricky Stuart claims will benefit the giant New Zealand forward pack.

But Bennett disagreed, saying: "I don't think the conditions will play a part like they used to because the grounds are so much different now. They have much better drainage.

"If it's raining on the day, then that'll have an effect, but it won't be decisive."

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 04:56 PM
Inglis will wing it

AUSTRALIA star and Clive Churchill medal winner Greg Inglis yesterday told of his plans to roam Westpac Stadium from his wing position tomorrow afternoon.

Inglis was chosen as a winger for the Test against New Zealand in Wellington, although many felt he was unlucky not to claim the five-eighth position given his spectacular performance in the National Rugby League grand final.

But under the instructions of Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart, Inglis will be hunting the ball on every opportunity against the Kiwis.

"It will be up to me to go looking for the ball," Inglis said.

"The ball may not come to us so I may have to go looking for it."

Stuart said he will encourage Inglis to move around the field and play a utility role.

"I want Greg busy," Stuart said. "The more he gets his hands on the ball, the better he is and the better the team looks.

"It will be a matter of Greg leaving his wing and going infield when the time is right," Stuart added

The Australians relaxed yesterday, many playing a game of ten-pin bowling in the afternoon after conducting media interviews.

Light rain continued to fall throughout yesterday in Wellington with gale force winds predicted for today, and there is little doubt Westpac Stadium, although a state of the art venue, will be heavy under foot.

The Australians are concerned about whether English referee Steve Ganson will handle the speed of tomorrow's match.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 04:58 PM
Debutants pledge a new era

AUSTRALIA'S eight rookies have made a bold pledge to each other ahead of tomorrow's Test match against New Zealand.

EIGHT fresh faces will tomorrow springboard Australian rugby league into a bold new era.

Sitting united before training yesterday, they will debut for the Kangaroos in a Test match against New Zealand in Wellington.

And The Saturday Daily Telegraph can reveal the eight will hold their own private meeting today to discuss their plans and aspirations of being Australia players for the next eight to ten years.

Brett Stewart, 22, Israel Folau, 18, Jarryd Hayne, 19, Greg Bird, 23, Cooper Cronk, 23, Dallas Johnson, 25, Ryan Hoffman, 23 and Kurt Gidley, 25, will tomorrow afternoon before 20,000 screaming Kiwis fans at Westpac Stadium become the new faces of the mighty Kangaroos - and they claim there is no turning back.

"I want to play for Australia until I finish my career," Bird said.

"I've played for six years now (in the NRL) and want to play for another 10 years. In each of those years I'd love to play Tests for Australia.

"We have spoken about it (playing for Australia long-term). This is our opportunity and we would love to secure Test spots for years to come.

"I'm here through injury but I want to stay here.

"Blokes like Willie Mason, Steve Price, Petero Civoniceva and Nathan Hindmarsh have shown you can play for Australia over a long time. That is my ultimate goal."

Stewart said all the new players would talk among themselves today about their long-term representative goals.

"We'll get together and speak about this opportunity we've been given," Stewart said. "I think the future (of Australia) is in good hands with all these young blokes stepping in.

"To play for your country once is great. To do it for the rest of your career would be amazing. The eight of us will be doing our best.

"We want to cement positions, particularly with the World Cup coming next season."

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said having so many debutants was unique.

"You don't normally have this many for a one-off Test," Stuart said.

"Usually you have more senior players in the team who have been in form.

"But we've had some injuries and these players now get their chance. They have the chance to show they are the future.

"Their performances will dictate whether they can be in the Australian side long-term.

"We don't normally have this many changes but changes have come this year and there is a different feeling in the camp."

Stuart said he has enlisted his senior players to mentor the rookies.

Price, Civoniceva, Hindmarsh, Mason and Mark Gasnier have been told to communicate with the youngsters and set a strong example.

"They have to show the younger blokes how to act and how to dress; how to act when you are an Australian representative," Stuart said.

"But the younger blokes in our squad are all level-headed. They are coming in younger these days and are maturing quicker. It is a well-balanced side."

Senior prop Brent Kite has welcomed the introduction of the rookies.

"It has been a long season for everyone," Kite said.

"But these blokes are having their first crack so they have brought a lot of energy to the whole team."

Australia trained yesterday at Rugby League Park in Wellington - home of the Hurricanes Super 14 franchise. It was Australia's best hit-out since arriving.

The constant rain has made all training fields around Wellington boggy and heavy.

Stuart contacted Hurricanes officials on Thursday night to use the club's grounds in the Wellington suburb of Newtown.

"Today was our most important day training-wise leading into the match," Stuart said.

"We feel comfortable there have been no mishaps."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

jenny
13-10-07, 04:58 PM
This belongs in the Test Match thread. (Moved to Test Thread.)

Sorry..Thankyou

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 04:59 PM
No luck on converting the Liberal mate yet. He is also an AFL fan which is doubly disappointing.

We were actually discussing making our own political party and what policies we could actually agree on, just for fun.

Wow that is an insight into how boring I can be sometimes!

I am going to be all lost at sea when this Test Match is over. We need summer rugby league!

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 08:48 PM
Preview: Kangaroos v Kiwis

New Zealand captain Roy Asotasi is looking at this weekend's centenary test against Australia as the dawning of 'a new era'.

The Auckland-born South Sydney prop has replaced Kiwi legend Ruben Wiki as captain for Sunday's match at Wellington's Westpac Stadium.

In addition to Wiki, influential Catalans half-back Stacey Jones, veteran centre Nigel Vagana and Tri Nations-winning coach Brian McClennan have all left the New Zealand set-up.

And Asotasi believes the new-look home team is in fine fettle heading into the match against their arch-rivals.

"It is a team picked on form and that's a rarity for the Kiwis," Asotasi told The Dominion Post.

"Usually there's some players carrying injury, some of the regulars missing out. Nearly all this team has been playing finals football.

"As the captain, that gives you a lot of confidence.

"It's the start of a new era. You're going to see some of these faces around for a long time.

"The Aussies have lost a few players, so have we. It's a good opportunity for us to build, and extending the number of Kiwis will just increase the pressure on players to hold their place. That's going to improve the team performance."

Australia travel south without key playmakers Jonathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer.

Youngsters Cooper Cronk and Greg Bird fill in, with coach Ricky Stuart packing his squad with forwards, with Willie Mason, Steve Price and Michael Crocker selected as interchange players.

And Stuart anticipates a fresh tactical approach from Kiwi counterpart Gary Kemble given New Zealand's heavily revised line-up.

"They're going to have to try to do something different to what they've been previously doing," said Stuart.

"They haven't been able to get us before in just wanting to run through us and power over the top of us, so they probably will look to do something different.

"I think that would be certainly wise. That's probably a smart coaching tactic. They've usually relied on just their brutal power and size and it hasn't worked for them before."

New Zealand: Krisnan Inu Luke Covell, Steve Matai, Paul Whatuira, Taniela Tuiaki, Ben Roberts, Jeremy Smith, Roy Asotasi (captain), Dene Halatau, Fuifui Moimoi, Simon Mannering, Frank Pritchard, Jeremy Smith; David Faiumu, Shontayne Hape, Sam Rapira, Jeff Lima

Australia: Brett Stewart, Greg Inglis, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Bird, Cooper Cronk, Brent Kite, Cameron Smith (captain), Petero Civoniceva, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ryan Hoffman; Dallas Johnson, Kurt Gidley, Willie Mason, Steve Price, Michael Crocker

Sportal NZ

hugebrianfan
13-10-07, 10:52 PM
um when does this start.?
wasnt it meant to be this weekend..?

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 10:59 PM
um when does this start.?
wasnt it meant to be this weekend..?

12:30pm-3pm NINE.

hugebrianfan
13-10-07, 11:02 PM
what tonight..?

Old Diehard
14-10-07, 12:21 AM
Sunday arvo

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 02:01 AM
Roos vow to ruin party

AUSTRALIAN players are determined to wreck the Kiwis' Centenary Test celebrations with victory in their one-off clash at Westpac Stadium in Wellington today.

The Test - the Kangaroos' only end-of-season game - has been largely overshadowed by events to mark the 100th anniversary of rugby league in New Zealand. They included a lunch at Parliament House and a visit to the cemetery where a number of All Golds pioneers are buried.

While the Australians will head home after the match for an off-season rest, the match is the start of a tour for the Kiwis that includes an historic All Golds-Northern Union match, a series against Great Britain and a Test in France.

But Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart dismissed any suggestion his side had little to play for and said the inclusion of eight Test debutants in the line-up would ensure an enthusiastic performance in Australia's penultimate hit-out before next year's World Cup.

"We'll be celebrating our centenary next year, but I can understand why it's going to be a big game for them because they are heading into an important tour and it's a good development and education for their players for next year and the World Cup," he said.

"They're blooding a few new blokes, too, which will be a bonus for them next season but there's excitement for us, too. Playing for your country, whether it's one game or a tour, is exciting."

Stuart said the new faces in the Australian side - teenage duo Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne, halves pair Cooper Cronk and Greg Bird, Manly fullback Brett Stewart, Melbourne back-rowers Dallas Johnson and Ryan Hoffman, and Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley - had lifted their more experienced teammates.

"It has given the camp an extra bounce of energy and enthusiasm and rejuvenated the senior players who have played a lot of representative football," Stuart said.

"They are taking quite a healthy attitude into the game and that's what is going to be needed. It's going to be a tough game. But the focus and the quality of training really symbolises how much they care about the jumper and the game and, going from what their attitude and input has been, they are all excited to be playing for Australia."

The Kangaroos completed preparations with training at Westpac Stadium, called the Cake Tin, yesterday. Renowned for its swirling winds, the ground appears perfect for Inglis to terrorise New Zealand fullback Krisnan Inu with the towering torpedo bomb he unveiled during the finals. The Storm star, surprisingly, said the tactic had not been discussed.

"I haven't been practising at all this week so I'll probably leave the kicking to Cam Smith, Cooper and Birdy [Greg Bird] and stay out wide to do the chasing," said Inglis, who has been chosen in the centres.

"Ricky has just said to me to do what I do at club level, so I'm not going to change my game in any way at all."

Despite the absence of Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston and Kiwi pair Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall, former Kangaroos captain Gorden Tallis predicted a "classic Test match".

"It looks like both sides are going to play up the middle but they've still got that unbelievable brilliance with guys like Inu, Folau and Inglis so there should be some great football played."

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-07, 10:08 AM
TBH if Cameron Smith can't kick the first 3, put Hayne in..when Cam is off, he's off by a long way, and we can't have that risk.. ;)

I like today's match as we really have nothing to lose here... it's all about the Kiwis this time and for us it's a one off... a chance for a new brigade to show what they are made of and show the future of the Kangaroos... it's really exciting and I can't wait to see how this match goes... :)

As much as I like my clubmen, I just don't think Ben Roberts is ready for national duty just yet and will be found out today by a very smart player in Cooper Cronk...I also think the likes of Hayne and Folau will light up the Wellington fog that descends at times there with some electric play... :D

For the Kiwis, it's all in the forwards... they have a very solid forward pack and one that if it gets it right can do some damage.... however their backline is inexperienced and their bench is not that strong... as opposed to Australia who have one of the best benches I've seen in a test match.

Expect Pricey and Willie to be fired up considering they would have both thought starting spots were a possibility and they will be a big plus coming off the bench for the Aussies.

I say this will be a tight one early, but I just can't see the Kiwis keeping the pace and think the Aussies will get home in the end by 8-12 points... whatever happens though, it should be a cracker... :D

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 01:27 PM
Wow some incredibly shocking singing of the national anthems from both teams.

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 01:31 PM
Folau in for a try, Smith converts. 6-0 Kangaroos!

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 01:41 PM
Price in Smith converts. 12-0.

Matai high shot on Gasnier.

SENT OFF!

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 01:48 PM
Greg Inglis is in! Cam Smith misses! 16-0

Let the slaughter continue!

Queenslander
14-10-07, 01:49 PM
Greg Inglis is in! Cam Smith misses! 16-0

Let the slaughter continue!

It is looking good for us! And I was thinking that this was going to be a close game :duh:

Cowboy Titan
14-10-07, 01:50 PM
A slaughter looks right. 20 - nil. 12 on 13 the Kiwis are in for a bad afternoon.

Cowboy Titan
14-10-07, 01:59 PM
26 nil at half time.

A great debut for Israel with 2 tries.2

Queenslander
14-10-07, 02:50 PM
70th Minute

Australia 52
New Zealand 0

This is a slaughter!!!!

Queenslander
14-10-07, 02:55 PM
FINAL SCORE

New Zealand 0

Australia 58
Tries: Israel Folau (2), Steve Price, Greg Inglis (3), Jarryd Hayne, Brett Stewart, Greg Bird, Willie Mason, Cameron Smith
Goals: Cameron Smith (7/11)

Cowboy Titan
14-10-07, 02:56 PM
Congrats to Australia on their biggest every win against NZ - 58 - nil.

Super Cronk
14-10-07, 03:00 PM
This is a slaughter!!!!

Alot of people precited it would be. The Aussies are just in a class of their own. The halfs were great, espeically bird, which really surprised me. Inglis and Folau were on fire aswell.

The whole team did very well, and only 7 missed tackles. great effort.

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 03:11 PM
And that is why we are world number 1s!

How humiliating for New Zealand!

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-07, 03:20 PM
Simply AWESOME... there is no other word to describe it... :)

Amazing performances by all in the green and gold, they just were willing to try anything and dazzled with some champagne football... and to think we didn't even have our best side out there... that was the B-Grade to an extent team according to the Kiwis, well it ain't B-Grade anymore after that record performance.

Cooper Cronk, Cam Smith and Greg Bird take a bow... the execution and playmaking today was sublime... they knew when to pass, when to kick, when to run and try to make metres, truly sensational. Cronk was awesome with the kicking game, Smith decisive with his passing and Bird amazed me with his running, he kept breaking the hole and making metres, it was awesome and he definitely if form permits needs to be the NSW number 6 next season.

What can be said about Stewart, Inglis, Hayne and Folau... simply awesome and they are so gifted... it's a real joy to watch them and everytime they get the ball you know something is on. The fantastic thing about today though was that they played for the team, no one tried to do the miracle ball or pass and they were happy to pass to teammates if the play wasn't on.. and their ability to know where a player was without looking, truly just awedropping...they really finished off nicely.

And then what about the experienced forwards... Pricey was simply supreme against his regular clubmates, making metres and really just steamrolling at times.. Petero was hard at it as usual and Ricky should take a bow about Willie... putting him on the bench fired him up and that is one of the best games I've seen from Mase for a long time, damaging in the ruck, clever in the play and just supremely better than the Kiwis, and deserved the try for it.

The rest of the team was solid as nails and without them this would not have been possible, so I don't want to forget them... but there was just so many great performances today, 17 men who played out of their skins and choked the Kiwis from the 2nd minute... it was just awe inspiring.

I guess what makes me so impressed is that now we have real depth and it will be interesting to see who gets picked in the future, because for once, we can say no one's position is settled, not even the regulars... I mean after today's performance there are all these matchups for spots...

- Hunt vs Stewart- Fullback
- Folau vs Tate- Wing
- Inglis vs Hodges- Centre
- Bird vs Lockyer- Five Eighth (ok Lockyer will more than likely be 5/8th)
- Thurston vs Cronk- Halfback
- Kite vs Mason- Prop

The future is so bright for Australian football, and I know it has been for some time, but now, with all the players we have and the chances for others to step up in the future, the way forward could be very exciting indeed, and if today is anything to go by, we are in for one heck of a party.... :D

Coaster
14-10-07, 03:21 PM
Wow, i admit i never had to much respect for Bird, but he was outstanding today, and Cronk play brillantly!!

Great team, i would love to see them take on the All Blacks, and finally put to rest this crap about the All Chokes being the best Rugby team in the world.

Super Cronk
14-10-07, 03:22 PM
Agree with all your points mate.

BUT

Fullback: Slater-Bowen-Stewart: is more like it IMO.

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-07, 03:25 PM

BUT

Oh of course, I forgot Bowen and Slater...and there is an added joy.. there are still 2 players who could make that squad.

I mean Slater and Bowen could be on the wing too if Hunt and Stewart are preferred at Fullback, which would mean

Fullback- Slater, Bowen, Hunt, Stewart
Wing- Folau, Bowen, Stewart
Wing 2- Hayne, Tate, Bowen
Centre- Inglis, Hodges, Tate, Cooper
Centre- Gasnier, Tate, Cooper, Inglis

Look at all those options... ;)

Same with lock, I mean Johnson is the incumbent but if Anasta can get form he'll challenge and Maitua will be back next season better than ever... it's such a joy to have so many players to choose from...:woot::woot:

Coaster
14-10-07, 03:26 PM

BUT

Throw a Thurston in also, was great to see the depth of ARL, in full action, Gus was right you could pick 3 other teams that would have smashed the Kiwis today, but that team of Youngsters was awesome to watch.

BTW how Fu**ing strong is Folou

Super Cronk
14-10-07, 03:27 PM
Your right. And if you really wanted to you could probably name another two or three players for each position! No particular order.

Halfback: Prince-Thurston-cronk

Even props like Brett White and Ben Cross showed this year that they are up there with the best.

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-07, 03:28 PM
Your right. And if you really wanted to you could probably name another two or three players for each position! No particular order.

Halfback: Prince-Thurston-cronk

Even props like Brett White and Ben Cross showed this year that they are up there with the best.

I'd hate to be the Australian selectors if all players keep form and others improve for next seasons World Cup... nearly every position has 3 or more options to choose from... so many decisions, but it's fantastic to have...:clap:

Super Cronk
14-10-07, 03:29 PM
Throw a Thurston in also, was great to see the depth of ARL, in full action, Gus was right you could pick 3 other teams that would have smashed the Kiwis today, but that team of Youngsters was awesome to watch.

BTW how Fu**ing strong is Folou

Its crazy isnt it? Its been mentioned by media etc before but in person he is just a moving mountain. Whats even move scarier is his 15 year old brother is, according to Isreal, bigger then him! Lets hope he makes the NRL rather then the NBA.

Coaster
14-10-07, 03:38 PM
1. Bowen, Slater, Stewart, Minochello, Hunt, Gidley
2. Hayne, Groth, Tate,
3. Hodges, Bell, Inglis, Rogers,
4. Gasnier, Lyon, Cooper, Tate
5. Folou, Inglis, ElMasrie
6. Lockyer, Bird, Anasta, Inglis
7. Thurston, Prince, Cronk,
8. Price, Kite, O'Meley
9. Buderus, Farrar, Smith,
10. Petro, Bailey, Mason, Webb
11. Hindmarsh, Lanfrancri, O'Donnell
12. Hoffman, Simpson, Crocker
13. Johnston, Ryan, Carroll, Creagh

Could have picked 4 teams

Queenslander
14-10-07, 03:52 PM
It is great to have plenty of talent, all we need now is competition....especially with the world cup just around the corner.

Coaster
14-10-07, 03:54 PM
It is great to have plenty of talent, all we need now is competition....especially with the world cup just around the corner.

Agreed, i think the Poms will give us a shake, that game this morning was a corker.

The Kiwis need there best on the field, put Cayless, SBW, Marshall, Webb, and a few forwards from the ESL in there and you have a team that could smash us again.

Fiji look like there on the money, and Tonga need the players to play for them, i think it will not what we think

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 05:17 PM
A sad day for international rugby league and NZRL.

Although I don't believe the NZRL did anywhere near enough to promote this Test Match. It hasn't done Wellington's NRL franchise claims much justice.

I am still looking forward to the tour though and the British must be encouraged by today's result but that was with a 12 man Kiwi outfit.

Chaos
14-10-07, 07:44 PM
Australia have had their deserving praise and every player performed brilliantly behind the Cam Smith led charge.
but
I'm strongly critical on the refs decision to send Matai off in a test match between Aust and the Kiwis.
Someone please explain the difference between the Crocker hit on Stuart in the grand final, that didn't even get a penalty and the Matai hit.

Even though I enjoyed the skill displayed by the Australian side, I couldn't help feeling the game was spoiled by the decision.

Capital_Shark
14-10-07, 10:00 PM
Someone please explain the difference between the Crocker hit on Stuart in the grand final, that didn't even get a penalty and the Matai hit.

Gasnier was standing up, Stewart was on his knees. Croker's hit was a shoulder charge (legal), where as Matai's was a swinging arm at the head (illegal).

Aussies just out classed the Kiwis, and the result wouldn't have been much different even if the Kiwis played with 13 men.

All the Australians played great, but specials mentions to Willie Mason who I haven't seen play like that for a long time, I'm usually a critic of his but he was outstanding.

Gidley made a fist of his opportunities, no fear and tremendous enthusiasm in everything he does. I questioned his selection as a utility given its lack of success in State of Origin, but if used right he could make the utility spot his own since Berrigan's departure.

Greg Inglis in the centres, what a star. Unstoppable. So glad he didn't get the 5/8 spot. More great stuff from Falou too. Greg Bird had a strong game too, I loved the hit he put on Moi Moi early in the game.

Finally from the Kiwis Roy Asotasi. He never gave up trying and pretty sure he played the full 80. They talk about building a team around Benji Marshall and SBW - great if they're not in a hospital ward, but I'd be building around Roy and if the injury kids are available its just a bonus.

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 10:19 PM
Finally from the Kiwis Roy Asotasi. He never gave up trying and pretty sure he played the full 80. They talk about building a team around Benji Marshall and SBW - great if they're not in a hospital ward, but I'd be building around Roy and if the injury kids are available its just a bonus.

Well said, they are lucky to have a champion like that. He was tremendous for Souths in both performance and spirit as well.

PROMETHEUS
14-10-07, 10:32 PM
Matai got a two week ban,which he will serve as Manly's two trial matches next year!
What a joke! :mad:
Source:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
14-10-07, 11:30 PM
Matai hit him late and high, crocker didnt hit him late. It was a shoulder charge, Slaters shoulder came in contact with Stewarts head that IMO caused him to get KO'ed.

DIEHARD
14-10-07, 11:42 PM
Asotasi cites lack of commitment

Many New Zealand sportsmen and women have stated that there is no motivation like pulling on the black jersey and playing for your country.

So when a Kiwis captain, in this case Roy Asotasi, offers up a suggestion of his side taking a Test match "a bit lightly", alarms bells start to ring.

As his side searched for answers in the wake of a record 0-58 loss to the Kangaroos, Asotasi made a startling admission following a Test match that doubled as a celebration of the 100th year since the birth of international rugby league in 1908.

"I think the boys maybe were taking this game a bit lightly," Asotasi told reporters immediately after the full-time whistle.

The comment came after a week where the Kiwis travelled to Karori Cemetery and the site of Albert Baskiville's grave, the mastermind behind league's global beginnings and organiser of the original All Golds tour - one that will be relived and rehonoured next weekend.

With a four-Test tour of Great Britain and France to follow over the next month, Kiwis coach Gary Kemble admitted motivation was something his side needed to address.

"We worked pretty hard during the week to make sure they were up for it, so we need to review the process and make sure next time they're motivated to come out firing," Kemble said.

"They had the passion through the week and it's one of those things - maybe we did something wrong and we have to review it."

NZ Sportal

Old Diehard
15-10-07, 12:33 AM
A sad day for international rugby league and NZRL.

Although I don't believe the NZRL did anywhere near enough to promote this Test Match. It hasn't done Wellington's NRL franchise claims much justice.

17,000 people only at the test....Really thought after the All Blacks dropped off the radar this test would have sold well. I thought that the Nation's disapppointment may have seen them turn to their League Team in a show of national pride.

Just as well it didn't ....the scoreline did nothing to promote league's cause in NZ (which isn't really a Pakeha supported game there - mainly the Islanders and Maori play it!).

The send off was justified but 12 men against 13 when Australia was already in front by 2 tries did nothing to help the cause!

unless League can get the Pakehas to follow the game and their kids to play it - the game won't be big over the ditch! Pakehas run the economy and make up the bulk of the population.

Better off having NZ play Australia in Samoa next time where at least the whole population is likely to turn up and watch it! And it would certainly make an entertaining game on the telly.

Next year's Rugby League World Cup needs a strong teams , that is the Kiwi side, a Pommie team ,the Frogs and Kumals or it will be a non-event !!

Capital_Shark
15-10-07, 12:47 AM
There was a fair amount missing from this Kiwi squad, it has to be said. Bring in Marshall and SBW. Brent Webb and the rest of the UK players and I think its a much stronger outfit. That said we had some stars missing too.

DIEHARD
15-10-07, 12:47 AM
unless League can get the Pakehas to follow the game and their kids to play it - the game won't be big over the ditch! Pakehas run the economy and make up the bulk of the population.

I agree with that, we are lucky enough to have a good following but we must seduce that segment of the Kiwi population to reach our potential.

I actually think the All Blacks loss hurt rugby league, the nation is in denile and didnt want to know about any type of rugby. It was an opportunity that could have been ceased upon with some good marketing though.

DIEHARD
15-10-07, 01:10 PM
Folau leaves trail of destruction

ISRAEL FOLAU became the youngest Test player in Australia's history yesterday - and he wasted no time making his mark.

With the Kangaroos leading 6-0 after 15 minutes at Westpac Stadium, the 18-year-old slipped into dummy-half and left a trail of destruction in his wake.

It was brutal. The hapless Kiwis had no answer as Folau treated them like tenpins.

His big legs kept pumping and defenders kept falling.

Folau began his one-man demolition job by brushing off ill-fated Kiwi five-eighth Ben Roberts.

He then used brute power to force his way between another two New Zealand defenders, including captain Roy Asotasi, before swatting aside Roberts for a second time.

Folau finished his 20m rampage by carrying childhood friend Krisnan Inu over the try-line.

"When I got through all I was thinking about was that white line," Folau said.

"Obviously I dreamed of this. To play in a Test match and get a few tries gives me a lot of confidence.

"To get a try like that in a Test match is unbelievable."

Folau has been compared to a young Mal Meninga. And given the way he tormented the New Zealand defence yesterday, it is easy to see why.

He already weighs in excess of 100kg and continues to grow. Never mind the fact he runs like the wind, has hands like baseball mits and is a model player off the field.

"He's a footballer," coach Ricky Stuart said.

"He's got exceptional skill. He's also got a lot of growing to do. He's very much a boy around the chest and shoulders.

"He's easy to coach. He does not have a problem with training and putting the effort in. He's hassle-free, which is good for a coach especially when he's such a great talent."

Folau's Melbourne and Australia captain Cameron Smith also lauded his young teammate's performance.

"He's a big, strong kid," Smith said. He's put a lot of hard work into his football this year. Not many 18-year-olds can do what he's done this year."

What Folau has done is set a benchmark for the next superstar to emerge from the NRL ranks.

He broke Melbourne's rookie try-scoring record by crossing for 21 tries, winning Dally M Rookie of the Year in the process.

He added two more tries yesterday as Australia thrashed New Zealand 58-0.

While his first effort was all power, his second try in the 31st minute showcased his speed and football brain.

Folau swooped on a perfectly weighted cross-field kick from halfback Cooper Cronk and cruised over.

"The coach said just go out there and play the way I have been playing all year," Folau said.

"That's what I was thinking going out there. I have learnt a lot from all the senior blokes. It's been great for me, especially being the youngest in the side.

"I have learnt heaps this week."

Folau has another year to run on his contract with the Storm and the club has already foreshadowed talks with a view to extending that deal for years to come.

Apart from the interest of rival clubs, the only thing likely to stand in its way is Folau's religion. A devout Mormon, he is yet to decide whether he will take two years off at the end of 2008 to complete his missionary work.

Because of their religious beliefs, Folau's parents were unable to watch their son make his Test debut yesterday.

And the teenager admitted it had been difficult to balance football with his religious beliefs and the prospect of taking time off to further those beliefs.

"I have one more year with the Storm," he said.

"I am focusing on football next year. I'm still thinking about my mission as well but that's something for the future.

"For me, I guess it's pretty tough. I have been brought up with religion since I was born. It's pretty tough not to think about it."

DIEHARD
15-10-07, 01:10 PM
Stuart fumes at high hit on Gaz

IRATE Australian coach Ricky Stuart last night angrily accused New Zealand and Manly centre Steve Matai of being a cheap-shot merchant in a bitter aftermath to yesterday's Test match.

Matai was marched by Great Britain referee Steve Ganson in the 24th minute for a late and high tackle off the ball on Australian centre Mark Gasnier. A heavily concussed Gasnier did not return to the field and was still suffering headaches last night.

An International Rugby League judiciary last night suspended Matai for two games. Given Matai has ruled himself out of New Zealand's upcoming tour of Great Britain for off-season shoulder surgery, he will now serve his suspension during Sea Eagles trial matches in 2008.

It was a pathetic suspension - Matai should have been outed for six weeks. Stuart was disgusted at the tackle during a match where his side whipped the Kiwis 58-0.

"Mark Gasnier is very sick. It was late and it was a cheap shot - it is in his (Matai's) game," Stuart said.

"Mark only came to towards the back end of the game. At half-time he couldn't open his eyes. He thought he was in Melbourne.

"As I said, it was a cheap shot and it's not good for the game.

"We see reaction high shots and some of them aren't send-offs, but this was late and Matai knew what he was doing."

Gasnier had passed the ball when collected high by Matai. Gasnier was taken from the field on a medicab.

"I feel crook," he said an hour after the game.

"I can't remember a thing. I'm still spinning. I was convinced we were in Melbourne."

Kiwi coach Gary Kemble thought that Matai should have been placed on report.

"I'm a little bit livid. There is the consistency factor," Kemble said.

"I asked why he wasn't placed on report. Every other time this has happened players are on report."

But Mason felt Ganson made the right decision.

"Steve's not a bad dude but he'll pay the price. He did the wrong thing," Mason said.

"He clocked 'Gaz' straight across the chin. It warranted a send-off."

But New Zealand cannot hide behind the Matai send-off as an excuse for yesterday's inept performance. The score was 12-0 to Australia at the time but the Kangaroos already had wonderful momentum.

Australia's rookies were brilliant yesterday, while the senior players displaying their guile and experience. The Kangaroos scored 11 tries to nil in what was a Test mismatch. Tries flowed as New Zealand virtually gave up.

"It was a professional and clinical display," Stuart said.

Captain Cameron Smith added: "We stuck to our game plan. We went through the middle and ran them off their feet. The score became a blowout."

Kemble admitted that his side had been trounced.

"We made too many errors in the first half - no excuses," he said.

"Even with 12 men we could have played better and with more resolve. We were beaten by a better team.

"It's tough playing Australia with 12 men. It's hard enough with 13, but it wasn't good enough."

Capital_Shark
15-10-07, 02:17 PM
That's a joke suspension. Two trial matches, which considering he's having off-season shoulder surgery he likely wouldn't have played in anyway, for an off the ball, late, high shot with a swinging arm - its grade 5 reckless. No doubt the judiciary would have given him 6-10 if Gaz copped a busted jaw.

If the Kiwis coach believe that was worthy of going on report and being dealt with later he's on crack. Matai is a grub of a player and Stuart is right when he says its a part of Matai's game. At least Adrian Morley was just a hopeless Pom with zero technique.

Super Cronk
15-10-07, 02:46 PM
then add on top that his previous suspensions/charges etc...should be out for 5 years!

Chaos
15-10-07, 07:12 PM
Matai hit him late and high, crocker didnt hit him late. It was a shoulder charge, Slaters shoulder came in contact with Stewarts head that IMO caused him to get KO'ed.

I suggest a few of you guys watch the hit again. Whether you like Matai or not...the hit wasn't late, Gasnier gives a quick ball and the defender was committed.
He did hit him high but with his shoulder, deserving of a penalty but not sent off.
I'm not jumping on Ricky Stuarts band wagon with this one.

Capital_Shark
15-10-07, 07:19 PM
I suggest a few of you guys watch the hit again. Whether you like Matai or not...the hit wasn't late, Gasnier gives a quick ball and the defender was committed.
He did hit him high but with his shoulder, deserving of a penalty but not sent off.
I'm not jumping on Ricky Stuarts band wagon with this one.

Gaz did give a quick ball, so maybe he was committed. But the shot was still a nasty and reckless high shot. Its got nothing to do with whether I like Matai or not, I don't know the bloke, so I'm just going by what I saw. I believe it was worthy of a send off.

Chaos
15-10-07, 07:25 PM
Gaz did give a quick ball, so maybe he was committed. But the shot was still a nasty and reckless high shot. Its got nothing to do with whether I like Matai or not, I don't know the bloke, so I'm just going by what I saw. I believe it was worthy of a send off.

I still compare the hit to the Crocker tackle that took the Manly Fullback out.
They both hit the head with their shoulder but one gets sent off and one doesn't even draw a penalty.

Both decisions are turning points in the game but in opposite directions.

Capital_Shark
15-10-07, 08:14 PM
I still compare the hit to the Crocker tackle that took the Manly Fullback out.
They both hit the head with their shoulder but one gets sent off and one doesn't even draw a penalty.

Both decisions are turning points in the game but in opposite directions.

Yeah but Gasnier was standing up right, making his head roughly 6 foot from the ground. Stewart was going to ground after catching the ball. Crocker and Slater had to go low to hit him at all.

Super Cronk
15-10-07, 08:25 PM
Seen the replay plenty, still think it was late and intentionally high.

Titanium_BD1103
15-10-07, 09:00 PM
The shot from Crocker, whilst heavy, was not illegal... I thought it might have been at first, but when you watch the replays you realise it ain't... it's slightly late, but it ain't dangerous and he was aiming at the ball carrier trying to knock the ball out... penalty would have surficed.

Matai was high, late and swinging an arm... he had to get sent off for that, even if he couldn't stop... you don't go into a tackle swinging your arm at an opposing players head, that is just dirty.

Steelers
15-10-07, 09:27 PM
Shows what happens when the majority of the team is picked on form.....

Hopefully the selectors take some note from this flogging in their future selections. PICK ON FORM FOR BEST RESULTS!

Chaos
15-10-07, 11:08 PM
The shot from Crocker, whilst heavy, was not illegal... I thought it might have been at first, but when you watch the replays you realise it ain't... it's slightly late, but it ain't dangerous and he was aiming at the ball carrier trying to knock the ball out... penalty would have surficed.

Matai was high, late and swinging an arm... he had to get sent off for that, even if he couldn't stop... you don't go into a tackle swinging your arm at an opposing players head, that is just dirty.

Titanium,

So you agree that Crocker should have copped a penalty for connecting the head?
Do you believe it was a harsh call to send Matai from the field?

I'm trying to close the gap here because the two decisions changed the games in totally different ways but were similar in incident.

PROMETHEUS
15-10-07, 11:36 PM
One player was from a team that everyone in Australia despises for their dirty play.

And then theres Steve Matai.
:p

(PLEASE NOTE: This comment is intended to be humerous,and not to be taken seriously.:) )

jenny
16-10-07, 07:42 AM
No hard feelings over head-hunt

By Brent Read
October 16, 2007

MARK Gasnier was back in the land of the living yesterday.

A day after being knocked senseless by New Zealand centre Steve Matai, Gasnier's memories of Australia's historic 58-0 win in Wellington were limited to the national anthem, Israel Folau's opening try and the final seven minutes.

But Gasnier, unlike some people in the Australia camp, holds no ill-will towards Matai, who was sent off and suspended for two matches for the brutal high shot that resulted in the Kangaroos centre being taken from the field in the back of a medicab.

Gasnier's anger instead was directed at what he wasn't involved in - an 11-try romp that broke all records between the trans-Tasman rivals.

"The only thing I am filthy about is I missed the Test match, especially one that made history," Gasnier said.

"That's the biggest disappointment out of all this. You just don't take your Test matches for granted. I know it still gets notched up as a Test match but I would have loved to have contributed. I don't know how long I played but I didn't get a whole lot."

For the record, Gasnier played 24 minutes, by which time Australia already looked the goods. The Kangaroos were leading 12-0 - one try a display of brute power by Folau and the other sheer determination from prop Steve Price; it was the beginning of the end as they crossed another nine times.

At the post-match press conference, coach Ricky Stuart described the tackle on Gasnier as a cheap shot and suggested it had been deliberate, but the Kangaroos centre was willing to give Matai, who apologised after the game, the benefit of the doubt.

"Obviously you don't know, but if he went out with the mindset to take my head off, you would be dirty," Gasnier said.

"If it was unintentional, that stuff happens.

"(Australia team doctor) Hugh Hazard said he came in and apologised. Hughie said I was out for a fair while. When I was good enough to get up, he sat me down and I watched the last seven minutes of the game."

Of Matai's two-match ban, which will result in him missing official trial games next season, Gasnier said: "As long as they're consistent. If that's the precedent they set, I am happy with it. If one of our blokes did the same thing and only got two weeks, I would be happy with it."

Gasnier returned to Sydney on Monday, but he jets out again this morning for a holiday in the Middle East which will take in Egypt, Dubai and Oman.

He then heads to London to help to launch next year's Rugby League World Cup, a tournament battling for credibility given the Kiwis' performance on Sunday.

New Zealand coach Gary Kemble has a big job on his hands to turn things around and he has already called in reinforcements, adding out-of-favour Warriors half Lance Hohaia to the squad.

No such problems for the Kangaroos, though. They blooded eight players and all emerged with their reputations enhanced.

One of the best was Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley, who played longer than expected because of Gasnier's injury.

The original plan was for Gidley to come on in the second half and slot in at five-eighth with Greg Bird moving to lock. Instead, Gidley took the field midway through the opening half, played his preferred position of fullback and had a field day.

The result was all the sweeter given his older brother, Matt, was a member of the St Helens side which was beaten on Sunday morning by Leeds in the Super League grand final.

"I found out before I went to the game," Gidley said of St Helens's loss.

"It was disappointing for him. I put that straight out of my head. I know he would have been disappointed but there's no point me worrying about it.

"It was unfortunate for Gaz that he copped such a bad shot, but that's why you have a utility on the bench I guess. The week was everything I hoped it would be. That was the perfect one to kick off on."
AAP

Steve
16-10-07, 09:59 AM

Hopefully the selectors take some note from this flogging in their future selections. PICK ON FORM FOR BEST RESULTS!

Have to agree with this.
They go on about picking the people who have gotten the job done before, but this has shown you don't need 15 veterans and 2 fresh faces to win.
We could probably pick 3 or 4 teams capable of beating NZ and the UK.
We might need to follow cricket's lead, and have an Australia A side.

Capital_Shark
16-10-07, 11:03 AM

NZ was abysmal though, so I dunno if they'll take much from that win.

jenny
20-10-07, 01:39 AM
Accolades for Greg Bird
By Matt Marshall and Dean Ritchie

October 19, 2007

LEAGUE Immortal Wally Lewis has given Greg Bird the seal of approval as a born Test player.
Filling in at five-eighth for injured Broncos champion Darren Lockyer, 23-year-old Bird was stunning on debut against New Zealand in last weekend's trans-Tasman romp in Wellington. The performance was such that it drew comparisons to "King Wally", one of Australia's greatest players.

Former NSW star Laurie Daley said he saw a lot of Lewis in Bird's dynamic Test debut against the dismal Kiwis ? which came on the back of another man-of-the-match performance in Origin III earlier this year.

"I thought Greg Bird was absolutely brilliant against New Zealand," Daley said last night. "He displayed a lot of the attributes that made Wally Lewis great. They have similar builds and are both exceptionally strong and powerful.

"I'm certainly not saying Greg is another Wally Lewis ? players like Lewis come along every few decades ? but Bird cut so many holes in the Kiwi defence, much as Lewis used to do for so many years.

"They both have good running games. Bird will be a representative player for years to come. He was also great when he came in for State of Origin III for NSW. He really gave us some authority."

Lewis said Bird and the other first-gamers could hold their heads high for their brilliant efforts at Westpac Stadium. "I remember when Steve Mortimer scored his first try for Australia, he was very happy," Lewis said.

"I saw Bird was just hysterical when he got to celebrate his Test debut with a great team try. I'm sure he's very happy. It was the biggest day in his career."

It is understood that Bob Fulton, another Immortal who was also a five-eighth, also sees strong similarities between Bird and Lewis.

"I know Bob Fulton has mentioned this in the past," Roos coach Ricky Stuart said.

"He isn't comparing Bird to Lewis but he sees similarities."

Former NSW and Australia five-eighth Brett Kenny ? Lewis's long-term sparring partner ? agrees.

"They have similar running styles," Kenny said. "They aren't that quick but they can go if in the clear. They also have the same physique and both are defensively very good."
TELEGRAPH