PDA

View Full Version : Knights' drug verdict on Joey

jenny
12-10-07, 09:08 PM
Knights' drug verdict on Joey
October 12, 2007

A Newcastle Knights internal investigation has found there were rumours and suspicions but no hard evidence of Andrew Johns' illegal drug use.

Former Australian captain Johns admitted to using recreational drugs throughout his decorated playing career in August after he was cautioned in London for possessing an ecstasy tablet.

The admission sent shockwaves through the rugby league world and raised questions about whether his club Newcastle knew of Johns' drug taking.

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston today announced the conclusions from a review of the club's handling of the issue and found the club never had any solid evidence Johns was using drugs.

"After the meetings I concluded that some people heard rumours and had suspicions about Andrew's activities but had no hard evidence," said Burraston, who spoke with the club's players, management and past and present directors and chairmen.

"They took solace in the number of (drug) tests he passed throughout his career and felt comfortable knowing that."

Johns, who also acknowledged alcohol abuse and a battle with depression, said at the time of his admission that he suspected the club knew of his drug use.

Newcastle sports physician Neil Halpin said he never told the club in an official capacity of Johns' drug use, but said he "implied it to them hoping they'd take the bait".

Burraston said today he was satisfied nothing more could have been done at club level and that the Knights would now focus on preventing such problems developing for current and future employees.

"Every staff member has been given the opportunity to come forward and voice their concerns or their own personal issues and it's a continuing open invitation," said Burraston.

"Everyone is clear this is not a witch hunt, it is an effort to help individuals and improve the culture within our club."

The club would look to gain "an understanding of related issues, including mental illness, wider societal issues and the signs to watch out for."

"Everyone in administration and football has a clear understanding the club will assist with any issues, not just drug related, and they are also clear about the club's aim to extinguish illicit behaviour at all levels," he said.

Burraston said the Knights would continue to implement the new NRL drug testing regime with more stringent in-house testing.

"I would like to point out the NRL's illicit drug testing policy is one of the toughest in world sport and certainly the most stringent of all Australian football codes," he said.

"We're confident with 100 in-house tests a year it will be very difficult for anyone to cheat the system but going forward our aim will be to prevent rather than cure.

"What we have learnt through our recent experience is that no one is immune from illicit drugs, not even world champions and we need to do whatever we can to help not only our players, but society in general."
AAP

PROMETHEUS
12-10-07, 09:17 PM
What a surprise..

hugebrianfan
12-10-07, 09:36 PM
yeh I heard that on the news..But he owned up to it, How can there not be any evidance..?

PROMETHEUS
12-10-07, 09:40 PM
Even though he owned up,the investigation could not prove that anyone else in the club knew of his social activities at the time.:)

jenny
12-10-07, 09:43 PM
Even though he owned up,the investigation could not prove that anyone else in the club knew of his social activities at the time.:)

Hmmmmm :eyebrow:
As if they would own up..Their ass would be mince :(

PROMETHEUS
12-10-07, 09:49 PM
Hmmmmm :eyebrow:
As if they would own up..Their ass would be mince :(

Hence my suprise at their conclusion..

jenny
12-10-07, 09:50 PM
Hence my suprise at their conclusion..

Exactly..;)

hugebrianfan
12-10-07, 09:54 PM
they most likely would've known, his brother would've most likely known about it..

jenny
12-10-07, 09:56 PM
they most likely would've known, his brother would've most likely known about it..

He has said he did Misty

hugebrianfan
12-10-07, 10:14 PM
yeah I know but why didnt he own up..?

PROMETHEUS
12-10-07, 10:15 PM
This could go all night..

jenny
12-10-07, 10:16 PM

LMAO...Ground Hog Day :laugh:

jenny
12-10-07, 10:17 PM

:hissyfit" Just thought about the other thread :laugh:

hugebrianfan
12-10-07, 10:22 PM
put it on Jenny :D

PROMETHEUS
12-10-07, 10:24 PM
Just thought of that old comedy sketch..Whos on First?

jenny
12-10-07, 10:25 PM
Just thought of that old comedy sketch..Whos on First?

lol love that... clever too

jenny
12-10-07, 10:26 PM
put it on Jenny :D

its when Joey got caught doing Drugs Misty...Go to the Search Engine Cutie ;)

hugebrianfan
12-10-07, 11:00 PM
thanks Jenny
Gees Im a blonde..& dumb lol:der: :hissyfit"

jenny
12-10-07, 11:02 PM
thanks Jenny
Gees Im a blonde..& dumb lol:der: :hissyfit"

No your not....It was before you came back Misty ;)

hugebrianfan
12-10-07, 11:03 PM
haha no wonder why.

Queenslander
13-10-07, 02:27 PM
what a crock, honestly who would believe an internal review out of that club......

At least one board member knew of John's drug use ('Chief loser' Harrigan), i doubt he was the only one.

hugebrianfan
13-10-07, 11:11 PM
what a crock, honestly who would believe an internal review out of that club......

hey!
the chief aint no loser..Alot more people would know too..his parents probably would've too! I dunno why this didnt come out earlier! Sure it would slipped out some how..

At least one board member knew of John's drug use ('Chief loser' Harrigan), i doubt he was the only one.

hey!
the chief aint no loser..Alot more people would know too..his parents probably would've too! I dunno why this didnt come out earlier! Sure it would slipped out some how..