PDA

View Full Version : Tonga thrash Junior Kangaroos 44-6

jenny
10-10-07, 05:48 PM
Tonga thrash Junior Kangaroos 44-6

October 10, 2007

Parramatta star Feleti Mateo celebrated his first game in the land of his childhood as Tonga crushed the Junior Kangaroos 44-6.

Born in Sydney but raised as a primary schooler in Nakualofa, Mateo's homecoming was marked by a nine-try blitz as Jim Dymock's men built on a 28-0 halftime lead against the cream of the NRL's youngsters.

"The last time I was here was in 2000 to see some family," said Mateo, who may have to decide between Australia and Tonga before next year's World Cup.

"It's pretty special to come back. I lived here for a little bit, in year two.

"I'm just happy to be playing, it's better than sitting on the lounge.

"We're trying to build up for the World Cup, we're taking every game as seriously as we can."

The giant Tongans, allowed one player over 23, steamrolled the Australian under 19s from the kick-off, scoring their first try after just three minutes.

Dymock's line-up included NRL stars Fetuli Talanoa, Tevita Metuisela, Manase Manuokafoa, Mateo and the Paea brothers Micky, Lelea and Lopini.

Gold Coast star Lelea posted a hat-trick in front of an army of cousins.

But the try of the match came seven minutes from halftime, with Adelaide-based halfback Joel Taufa'ao kicking ahead and combining brilliantly with local centre Lei Etuine Sua who finished off with a glorious reverse flick to put the halfback over.

It was the first home international involving a professional Tongan side in 13 years and Sydney Roosters centre Albert Hopoate's first game after two years as a Mormon missionary.

Junior Kangaroos coach Matt Cameron said of the Tongans: "It's probably been a good hit-out for their World Cup campaign next year.

"It probably would have been nice to see some of the local players in the same way that Fiji put their local players in."

But Dymock said: "The people in Tonga, there are a lot of NRL players from here in Australia and they never get to see them.

"We're playing Fiji soon so we were under a bit of pressure to perform today."

The Junior Kangaroos take on the Junior Kiwis in a curtain-raiser to Sunday's trans-Tasman Test in Wellington.

Tonga play a full Test against Fiji in Nakualofa next Friday.

? 2007 AAP

Kelvinator
10-10-07, 09:10 PM
lmao

Tonga shame young Kangaroos

By Steve Mascord

October 10, 2007 12:00am

TONGA 44 JUNIOR ROOS 8

UNWANTED Gold Coast centre Lelea Paea scored three tries in Tonga's astonishing flogging of the Junior Kangaroos today - and revealed it could be the last time he ever plays alongside his brothers.

After a close call against Fiji last Friday, the Junior Roos were belted around Teifaiva Stadium in Nakualofa yesterday, conceding nine tries in a 44-8 flogging.

Jim Dymock's Tonga line-up included NRL stars Feleti Mateo, Manase Manuokafoa, Fetuli Talanoa, Tevita Metuisela, Richard Fa'aoso and the Paea brothers, Lelea, Lopini and Mickey.

An emotional Paea posed for photos with his brothers and relatives in the middle of the field at fulltime, saying: "I dont know if I'll be playing NRL next year. I'm looking to play rugby union.

"It could be (our last game). Hopefully my rugby union club will let me come back and play in the World Cup with them.

"It's special playing with your brothers. I grew up playing junior footy with them. This year I went up to the Gold Coast and split with them for the first time."

Lopini was also amongst the scorers in front of a 2500 crowd as Tonga raced to a 28-0 lead at the break.

Australia coach Matt Cameron said the game had been a good hit-out for Tonga's World Cup campaign for next year, but suggested Tonga coach Jim Dymock should have given more local players a run.

"It probably would have been nice to see some of the local players play in this game, in the same way Fiji put their local players in."

But Dymock said the ganme was a good chance for Tongan locals to see their NRL stars in person.

"We've got a game against Fiji coming up so we had a bit of pressure to perform," he said.

The game was also colourful off the pitch.

Both sides were introduced to Tongan princess Lupepauu Fusitua before kick-off, the first half went for 37 minutes because no-one knew how long it should have been and Australian Tim Mannah suffered a serious head cut from coral scattered around the pitch.

Albert Hopoate, brother of John, played his first game in two years after spending time as a Mormon missionary. He is contracted to Sydney Roosters next season.

And it was the first game on Tongan soil for Parramatta star Feleti Mateo, who spent two years as a child in Nakualofa.

TONGA 44 (Lelea Paea 3, Kim Vasi, Fetuli Talanoa, Lei Etuine Sua, Tevita Metuisela, Joel Tuafaao, Lopini Paea tries; Tuafaao 4 goals) JUNIOR KANGAROOS 6 (Tim Moltzen try; Trent Hodkinson goal) at Teifaiva Stadium. Referee: Ben Cummins (Australia). Crowd: 2500.

Source: Daily Telegraph