PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Bellamy named new Blues Origin coach

jenny
09-10-07, 03:04 PM
Bellamy named new Blues Origin coach :woot: :woot:

October 9, 2007

Premiership-winning Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has been named NSW coach for next year's State of Origin rugby league series against Queensland.

The NSW Rugby League on Tuesday confirmed Bellamy, a strong favourite for the position, would succeed Cowboys coach Graham Murray, who stepped down from the job after a second-successive series loss this year.

Bellamy already has considerable experience in representative coaching from his role as assistant Kangaroos coach since 2004 and Country Origin coach for the past three seasons.

"I'm honoured to be given this opportunity,' Bellamy said.

"Every player aspires to compete at this level and it's the same for coaches.

"Queensland have won the last two series and are going to be very hard to beat again.

"It's a great challenge for us and we'll be giving it everything we can."

NSWRL chairman Colin Love said Bellamy's coaching record spoke for itself.

"As the coach of the Melbourne Storm and NSW Country, Craig has earned the respect and admiration of players and officials alike and I am sure he will bring that same determination to succeed to the NSW Wizard Blues," Love said.

"It will be a memorable Origin series and one of the highlights of the centenary celebrations.

Sydney will host game's one and three of next year's series, with the second game to be played in Brisbane.

As part of next year's centenary celebrations, celebrating 100 years of rugby league, the teams will wear 1908 heritage jerseys in the opening match of the series.

? 2007 AAP

Capital_Shark
09-10-07, 03:06 PM
Don't get too excited Jenny, regardless of whose coaching, they're still a bunch of cats and they still gotta play the Maroons.

jenny
09-10-07, 03:07 PM
Don't get too excited Jenny, regardless of whose coaching, they're still a bunch of cats and they still gotta play the Maroons.

:surprise: :hissyfit"
lol....you suck Sharkie

jenny
09-10-07, 03:10 PM
Hey Sharkie
I dreamt lastnight, Bruce and i went to Canberra and you and Shifty, showed us the town...:drinkies:

Capital_Shark
09-10-07, 03:14 PM
Hey Sharkie
I dreamt lastnight, Bruce and i went to Canberra and you and Shifty, showed us the town...:drinkies:

That would have been a short dream, Canberra is pretty small. If you slept in late we probably could have introduced you to all its residents too.

jenny
09-10-07, 03:16 PM
That would have been a short dream, Canberra is pretty small. If you slept in late we probably could have introduced you to all its residents too.

haha :drinkies:

Queenslander
09-10-07, 04:43 PM
Bellamy is a great coach, and over time he may be able to win a series....however it is going to be hard to destroy the new Maroon dynasty.

Dragons
09-10-07, 05:43 PM
Bellamy is a great coach, and over time he may be able to win a series....however it is going to be hard to destroy the new Maroon dynasty.

There is no Maroon dynasty...never....never will be! :mad:

Super Cronk
09-10-07, 06:17 PM
NSW will win some now.

Queenslander
09-10-07, 06:23 PM
A fact to remember....Bellamy has been a successful coach at a club full of Queenslanders ;)

Super Cronk
09-10-07, 06:28 PM
A fact to remember....Bellamy has been a successful coach at a club full of Queenslanders ;)

So you could say he knows all their weaknesses?

If only cronk was a NSW men then NSW would be UN-BEATABLE!!!

;)

Queenslander
09-10-07, 06:30 PM
So you could say he knows all their weaknesses?

It didn't work for Graham Murray :woot:

QLD 3-0 in 2008 :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Super Cronk
09-10-07, 06:33 PM
It didn't work for Graham Murray :woot:

QLD 3-0 in 2008 :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wouldnt surprise me. Got more storm players in the QLd side then the NSw side :p

Kelvinator
09-10-07, 08:25 PM
there won't be a maroon dynasty. only difference between qld and nsw in this years series was the bloke wearing number 7. and one players form doesn't last forever.

PROMETHEUS
09-10-07, 08:56 PM
Go Qld.:clap:

jenny
11-10-07, 11:49 AM
New NSW coach Craig Bellamy reveals his plans
By Nick Walshaw

October 11, 2007

CRAIG Bellamy is ready to lay everything on the line for NSW - even if it means exposing the secret weaknesses of Melbourne heroes Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith and Israel Folau.

In a revealing interview with The Daily Telegraph , Bellamy has vowed to go "all the way" in his push to return Origin pride south of the Tweed in 2008.

And the new Blues coach, who took the Storm to a premiership just 11 days ago, concedes that could mean plotting against eight potential Queenslanders - including Inglis, Smith, Folau, Billy Slater, Dallas Johnson, Michael Crocker, Antonio Kaufusi and Cooper Cronk.

"Yeah, I'll go all the way," Bellamy said yesterday. "But, of course, knowing what they're gonna do is one thing . . . stopping them is something else entirely."

Announced as the Blues' new coach on Tuesday, Bellamy also spoke of his plans to spend the next month brainstorming with league identities Ricky Stuart, Phil Gould and the Johns brothers.

The Melbourne coach even hinted that infamous cage fighter and wrestling coach John Donehue could be given a Blues jersey.

Exposing Storm secrets

Talk about insider trading. Bellamy not only boasts the good oil on up to eight potential Maroons, he has also spent two years assisting the Kangaroos and five alongside Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and Justin Hodges in Brisbane.

"But you don't need a degree in rocket science to realise things like Greg Inglis has a strong right hand fend," Bellamy said.

"And I'm not the only bloke in the NRL who can tell you a bit about Cameron Smith either."

But, mate, you've made them Origin stars. Kangaroos. NRL premiers. Surely, you know them better than anyone else on the planet?

"Well," he shrugs, "I hope so."

The club drain

No one can argue the strain Origin puts on NRL coaches. In the past 16 years, only two NSW mentors - Phil Gould and Graham Murray - have got their sides to finish any higher than ninth.

The success rate of NRL sides without their Origin coach is an ordinary 39 per cent.

"Origin is certainly a drain on our clubs already," Bellamy concedes. "We had seven players in Origin this year with possibly more next season.

"So I could sit here and tell you the NSW job won't take time away from my club footy (demands). But at times it probably will.

"So that's why I'll have good assistants in place to make sure Melbourne doesn't suffer.

"Last year we got through it. We only lost the one game throughout the Origin period against Manly at Brookvale - when we got done by a point. "We get criticised for resting players late in the season too but we realised the importance of it."

Coaching test

But does he consider the Origin role a gamble?

"I've never thought of it like that. All coaches have a competitive edge, we wouldn't be doing what we do otherwise. And Origin gives you the opportunity to test yourself at the highest possible level."

Origin passion

Queenslanders, so we keep being told, are more passionate about Origin. Does Bellamy believe that?

"Mate, no idea because I've never been involved before. Whenever I've watched Origin in the past I've been like everyone else. A spectator. I've had no reason to analyse the games."

Andrew Johns

Bellamy says he wants both Andrew and Matthew Johns involved in the Blues' camp next season if their TV commitments allow it.

"Obviously, the pair of them have great footy brains. We used Matty quite a bit this year in Melbourne and he actually found a couple of chinks in our armour.

"That's something he does well." Johns has kept a low profile since revealing his drug and depression problems. While the Newcastle champion failed to make his lap of honour at Telstra Stadium on grand final night, Bellamy hopes to have him at the venue next year.

Using Origin legends

"Mate, we're not going to be doing things just because Queensland do. I have a month off from Melbourne at the moment and I'll use that time to talk with people like Ricky Stuart and Phil Gould.

"In four or five weeks I'll know what people I want to use and where."

2007 series loss

Bellamy refuses to spend any time discussing the 2007 NSW Origin campaign under coach Graham Murray.

"Because that was last year and we won't be looking back. I might glance over the games but NSW will have a different side, Queensland will have a different side . . . we'll be planning for 2008."

New Zealanders in Origin

"No. After more than 20 years Origin is still the game that stops Australia's east coast. We don't need to tinker with that.

"But what I'd like to see changed are the eligibility laws. Players deciding between NSW and Queensland, Australia and New Zealand . . . they shouldn't have that choice.

"I don't know what the right rule is. That's the tough question. But we do need something in place."

Wrestlemania

And, finally, the real Origin question everyone wants to know: Will infamous cage fighter and wrestling coach John Donehue be involved with the Blues in 2008? "Yeah," Bellamy laughs. "Might be".
Telegraph

hugebrianfan
11-10-07, 01:30 PM
Congratulations to him :)

Hes lead the storms to victory, lets hope he does it for nsw.

Titanium_BD1103
11-10-07, 03:16 PM
Congrats to Bellamy... he will do us New South Welshman proud I am sure... :D

I think that the whole dynasty thing TBH is a crock.. this years series might have been won 2-0 by QLD before NSW won the last one, but it was tight and torrid the whole way through... as one member said, it was the number 7's that made the difference.

I really believe SOO is alive and well, and Bellamy will ensure NSW are ready from day dot with this one... we still need to find a solid number 7 though, if we can do that, then we will be set, but ATM, Queensland will have advantage on that alone IMO... ;)

hugebrianfan
11-10-07, 04:03 PM
with him im sure we'll be able to crush QLD..:)

sorry qld fans