PDA

View Full Version : Possible Broncos Takeover

DIEHARD
05-10-07, 01:44 PM
Two wealthy, high-profile supporters are on the verge of making a takeover bid for the Brisbane Broncos.

While Brisbane Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen today categorically denied the club would be sold, it is understood an official offer will soon be made to purchase News Limited's 68 per cent controlling interest.

The men, one of whom is believed to be John Geaney, are members of The Thoroughbreds - a powerful Broncos supporters group.

"I have heard the rumours and I am aware they are gaining momentum," Cullen told brisbanetimes.com.au.

"However, at the club's AGM in May this year, the club's chairman (Darryl Somerville) stated News Limited would retain its ownership.

"Obviously in my role, I talk to News Limited executives on a regular basis - and nothing has changed."

Geaney, who made his fortune in property development, already owns about 10 per cent of the club through his associated companies.

If the bid is made, it would be the second occasion this year the Broncos have been the subject of a takeover attempt.

Cullen today confirmed an official offer to purchase the club had been made in writing to News Limited about eight weeks ago.

It's believed the offer - which was quickly rejected - was around $25 million.

There are one million Broncos club shares currently listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. This morning, they were trading at 21 cents per share.

When asked to put a total value on the club, Cullen - a board member of the Queensland Country Credit Union - said: "Around $40 million."

The Broncos' number one ticket holder, Lachlan Murdoch, and wife Sarah Murdoch, are late scratchings from tonight's club presentation dinner.

However, brisbanetimes.com.au understands Murdoch would have publicly put up the not-for-sale sign had he attended.

News Limited, which owns 50 per cent of the National Rugby League (NRL), recently sold its controlling interest in the North Queensland Cowboys.

Speculation has linked News Limited with a future sale of 2007 NRL premiers Melbourne Storm, of which it owns 100 per cent.

However, it's understood Murdoch's personal love for the club - combined with a desire for News Limited to retain a controlling interest in a marquee club - would prevent a future sell-off of the Broncos.

Private ownership of NRL clubs has been in the spotlight, particularly with the successful takeover of the South Sydney Rabbitohs by actor Russell Crowe and businessman Peter Holmes a Court.

In other news, it's believed the Broncos are on the verge of announcing WOW Sight and Sound - a prominent electrical and hi-fi chain - as its new major sponsor.

Energex's association with the club ended last season.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au

DIEHARD
05-10-07, 01:46 PM
Interesting development but has no chance as the Broncos is Lachlan's favourite club.

Though News Ltd need to eventually sell either the Storm or the Broncos, I am sure it will be the Storm that will be sold in the future, but it won't happen yet, look for it around 2010-2012.

Queenslander
05-10-07, 01:55 PM
Interesting, but like DIEHARD said it has little chance of happening.

Plus I knew that Ergon Energy (Article says Energex but anyways ;) ) were leaving however I thought that Bundy Rum were poised to take over the "major sponsor" tag....Having Wow as a major sponsor seems a bit low...surely there are some major corporation that would like to use the Broncos jersey as billboard.

PROMETHEUS
05-10-07, 08:10 PM
Maybe having an alcohol supplier is against NRL policy?
Seems the Souths takeover is getting others to re-think outside the square..
Will be interesting to see how Melbourne survive without News Ltd.

Old Diehard
06-10-07, 01:38 AM
Maybe having an alcohol supplier is against NRL policy?
Seems the Souths takeover is getting others to re-think outside the square..
Will be interesting to see how Melbourne survive without News Ltd.

Not how Melbourne would survive but how long would Melbourne survive?

Any team that has won 2 grand finals in 8 years has the right players (but in Melbourne's case all brought in because it will be a long time before they can generate their own though rugby league in Melbourne or the whole of Victoria )

Still 2 premierships in 8 years - makes The Sharks look badly managed, St George - the last 20 years have been pretty sad, The Warriors disappointing considering that they should be able to pick up most of the Kiwi talent . News Ltd money and great talent scouting has given Melbourne a winning team! Take News Ltd out of the equation though and who knows what would happen to Melbourne!

BringBackWillie
07-10-07, 11:18 AM
Interesting, but like DIEHARD said it has little chance of happening.

Plus I knew that Ergon Energy (Article says Energex but anyways ;) ) were leaving however I thought that Bundy Rum were poised to take over the "major sponsor" tag....Having Wow as a major sponsor seems a bit low...surely there are some major corporation that would like to use the Broncos jersey as billboard.

Not looking forward to the idea that WOW is going to be braced across the Broncos jerseys next season - very unclassy!!!!:hissyfit"

DIEHARD
07-10-07, 11:59 AM
Not looking forward to the idea that WOW is going to be braced across the Broncos jerseys next season - very unclassy!!!!:hissyfit"

Is it official?

travop
07-10-07, 02:08 PM
maybe pat rafter is a bidder
hes the broncos number one ticket holder

Steel Dragon
08-10-07, 08:32 AM
I'd like to see RAMS Homeloans buy the Storm or the Broncos...

Jason

Old Diehard
08-10-07, 03:38 PM
I'd like to see RAMS Homeloans buy the Storm or the Broncos...

Jason

Aren't Ram in financial difficulty because of their tie up US money market?
Doubt Rams could afford to buy out News Ltd and I doubt Rupert's boy wants to sell - Lachlan has plans for the Broncos to "reclaim Brisbane"...Certainly a lot of QRL teams are now feeder to the Broncos (3 at Qld Cup and add Aspley and that makes 4)....Nah the Brncos are the jewels in crown of News Ltd at the NRL and with the record the Storm has 2 premierships in the last 8 years - they are the next best things (makes The Saint's record in the last couple of decades pretty ordinary- Rams may be able to get them and Cronulla for a bargain price)..

Hoppy2007Dragons
08-10-07, 05:24 PM
over my dead body old diehard, they can have cronulla though.

Old Diehard
08-10-07, 08:03 PM
over my dead body old diehard, they can have cronulla though.

Ah common they couldn't give Cronulla away- you have got to throw something in to sweeten the deal! Can you let go of Illawarra maybe?

BringBackWillie
08-10-07, 08:11 PM
maybe pat rafter is a bidder
hes the broncos number one ticket holder

I thought Lachlan Murdoch was their number 1 - which means it is highly unlikely he'll want to let go of his baby

Hoppy2007Dragons
08-10-07, 08:19 PM
Ah common they couldn't give Cronulla away- you have got to throw something in to sweeten the deal! Can you let go of Illawarra maybe?

Well if we keep rights to the local playing talent, they can have the steelers :p