PDA

View Full Version : Titans Team With Jets Again

Queenslander
27-09-07, 03:31 PM
Titans Team With Jets Again

THE honeymoon period may be over, but the marriage between the Ipswich Jets and NRL glamour club Gold Coast continues to blossom.

After a successful first year as one of the Titans' three feeder clubs, the two entities have agreed to continue their agreement until at least 2010.

During their short partnership, the likes of former Queensland Origin flyer Chris Walker, Kris Kahler and Smith Samau have seamlessly slotted into the Jets Queensland Cup squad when not required by the Titans.

And who will forget Josh Lewis' stunning performance against the Easts Tigers in last month's elimination final.

However, the deal was hardly a feat accompli, with reports in media outlets stating the Titans were looking to send their players to just one club in 2008.

Those rumours deeply offended Ipswich Jets CEO Brad Wolens, who organised a meeting with the Gold Coast club last Friday to set matters straight.

Even Wolens was surprised by the outcome, with Burleigh "no longer aligned with the Titans at all".

That leaves Tweed Heads and Ipswich as the two clubs which will use Gold Coast players.

"We were obviously pretty upset at what we had heard, so we arranged a meeting to issue our grievances with (Titans CEO) Michael Searle and (coach) John Cartwright," Wolens said.

"I was surprised they didn't want a third club, but it works better for us.

"Everything between the Titans and the Jets has worked out perfectly."

Burleigh's loss is effectively the Jets' gain, with Wolens pleased with the new deal.

"We still get access to the same players that we had this year, guys like Brad Meyers, Chris Walker, Josh Lewis and Smith Samau," Wolens said.

"Plus, on top of that, we'll get a few of the new players included in our pool, as well as some of the guys who were going to Burleigh.

"We should know by the end of the week which players will be in our pool and who Tweed will have."

With an increased number of Titans-contracted players expected to play in the Jets' Queensland Cup team next year, there could be a fear disharmony will develop within the full-time Ipswich squad.

To counteract that, Wolens said those players signed with the Jets had been consulted before a decision had been made.

"We were surprised how much the players got behind it," he said.

"The guys here learn something from the Titans guys."

Another exciting development to emerge from the deal was the possibility for the Jets to send promising players to the Titans.

The Queensland Times

DIEHARD
27-09-07, 03:36 PM
Great news about the renewing of ties with the Jets. But it is a shame that we have no ties with the Bears at all.

I still think we will see a situation where most of our top players go to one club, Tweed and our younger players are based with Ipswich.

Queenslander
27-09-07, 03:40 PM
Great news about the renewing of ties with the Jets. But it is a shame that we have no ties with the Bears at all.

I still think we will see a situation where most of our top players go to one club, Tweed and our younger players are based with Ipswich.

Yeah it is great for the Jets to maintain a link with the Titans even if it means that they will only get the younger players.

I wonder what the Bears will do now....

Steve
27-09-07, 03:54 PM
I guess with the younger players destined for the under 20s competition, there's less need of 3 feeder clubs. Glad they've kept Tweed, seems that Burleigh would have been a more natural option over Ipswich, but who knows what was going on behind the scenes, and the Jets seem very keen to stay involved.

With the under 20s comp, our feeder teams will be even more important in keeping talent that's older than 20.

DIEHARD
27-09-07, 04:07 PM
You'd be happy Queenslander, you live in Ipswich, you can go down the road and watch some Titans!

Queenslander
27-09-07, 04:08 PM
You'd be happy Queenslander, you live in Ipswich, you can go down the road and watch some Titans!

:woot:Now all I have to hope for is the Titans to hold a trial game here during the pre-season and I should be set :D

DIEHARD
27-09-07, 04:12 PM
That is a good idea. A trial in Ipswich. That would be a massive success.

It also means a lot of Queensland based Titans fans could make it.

This season we had one QLD based and two NSW trials. Maybe next year we can have one NSW and two QLD. :)

Queenslander
27-09-07, 04:18 PM
That is a good idea. A trial in Ipswich. That would be a massive success.

It would be, it would be a guaranteed sell-out easily 10,000 would attend.

I don't know if the Titans would want to use Skilled Park first for a trial so perhaps North Ipswich Reserve would be an good alternative.

If Michael Searle is reading this call Paul Pissale (Ipswich Mayor) and he will organise everything....he will do anything if it got publicity for Ipswich.

PROMETHEUS
01-10-07, 08:20 PM
It would be, it would be a guaranteed sell-out easily 10,000 would attend.

I don't know if the Titans would want to use Skilled Park first for a trial so perhaps North Ipswich Reserve would be an good alternative.

If Michael Searle is reading this call Paul Pissale (Ipswich Mayor) and he will organise everything....he will do anything if it got publicity for Ipswich.

Ring the Mayor,alert the local media,organise a letter drop?