PDA

View Full Version : The Music Thread

Steve Dangerous
24-09-05, 06:00 PM
what i live for.

Give 10 of your favourite bands, plus a bit of an intro for those who might not know much about them.

And list any gigs that you're going to soonish.

I'll start!

beastie boys - all time favourite... alt-rock-hip-hop gods. hilarious, and their personalities really come through in the lyrics.

eels - moody, sometimes very emotional soft rock. electroshock blues is one of the best and saddest albums ever, written about the death of close family and his mental breakdowns following.

The White Stripes - gritty blues-rock due from detroit. simple stripped back rock with lots of staying power.

The Streets - one of the best lyricists of our time, Mike Skinner! Thick English accent, thick beats, recorded in his own bedroom and with lyrics that paint scenes so perfectly ('A Grand Don't Come For Free' is like a movieplot from start to finish, with each song related)

The Flaming Lips - Perhaps the greatest live show i've ever been too... the music and their live performances are like something from another world. just beautiful and really trippy.

Kings Of Leon - southern rock with ragged guitars, gruffvoiced singing, and plenty of heart.

Ryan Adams - alt-country saviour. mixes rock, country, and blues together into a awesome blend.

Daft Punk - electrogods. may have faded away slightly in recent times, but these robots are human after all.

The Mars Volta - the led zeppelin of the new millenium. prog-rock post-punk mixed in with freejazz and influences from their latin background. half in english, half in spanich... crazy guitar work, crazier singing, and the best drumming in the world. most songs exceed the ten minute barrier, with their record sitting at around 30minutes.

Madvillain - the best thing currently in hip hop. madlips leftfield production with MF dooms deepvoiced layed back rapping.

and i'll be at these gigs:

The Hives
eels
Wolfmother

Dakink
24-09-05, 06:05 PM
Wow - for me this'll take some thinking. Ill have to get back to you on this one. :confused:

Steve Dangerous
24-09-05, 06:09 PM
just put down whatever comes to mind, that's not my "definative" top ten by any means.

Dakink
24-09-05, 06:19 PM
Well one obvious one is to look at my sig.

To me Metallica epitomise everything I love about live music. They put absolutly everything into their performances and the atmosphere just sizzles. I have been to 5 concerts of theirs and havent failed to leave one so pumped up and alive! The energy anf feeling put into their albums\gigs is awesome. I hate bands that record and play like garbage.

Another "sound" I like is the Ministry Of Sound Label. Especially the Guide to Breaks series. Some Serious Breaks mixed in with some heart thumping D'&'B. Good to get the old legs and everything else moving.

Pink Floyd - Amazing eclectic sound.

Black Sabbath - The pre-cursors of most modern music. From Metal to Funk. They played with heavy guitars over a blues driven bass line with early funk drum patterns.

There is 4 - more to follow.

Teegy
24-09-05, 06:21 PM
I love Enter Sandman

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 06:31 PM
hmm...I wouldn't call this my top 10. These are 10 of my favourites, in no particular order.

Audioslave - Great band. Chris Cornell and Tom Morello are absolute gods.

Staind - Aaron Lewis is a genius.

Murderdolls - All my favourite genres rolled into one, couldn't ask for me. Shame they've now split.

Marilyn Manson - I don't care what the people say, he's one of the deepest, most intelligent humans in the industry.

Devildriver - Metal.

Ill Nino - They're original. Own brand of music, sensational band, I love them.

36 Crazyfists - Another different bunch with their own style.

Crossfade - They're awesome, something different.

Wednesday 13 - Similar to the Murderdolls but not as good. Headlined by former 'Dolls lead, Wednesday 13.

Nirvana - Enough said.

Notable mentions to the Foo Fighters, Stone Sour, Disturbed, RHCP and any other band that I like that I can't think of at the moment!

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 06:32 PM
I love Enter Sandman

Great song. Can't get enough of it.

Teegy
24-09-05, 06:35 PM
Same with Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit.(has any one see the Scared Weird Little guys version on the Footy show)

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 06:53 PM
Same with Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit.(has any one see the Scared Weird Little guys version on the Footy show)

YES!!! How good was it! It cracked me up!

Super Cronk
24-09-05, 07:42 PM
metallica- they were and still are awesome....

fear factory- METAL!!!!

static-x- altho some songs are a bit sucky...they have a few quailty songs

twiztid- evil, evil, evil....just what i like.

megadeth- the best!

slipknot- i dont care if people think they are sell outs or mainstream...i like alot of thier stuff.

Ill nino- mix of metal and latin....really good.

kiss- love their stuff.

deftones- shove it!!!

local metal- any local metal ...some around my area are :baraka(now broke up) and dyasphere

Dakink
24-09-05, 08:29 PM
Hehe couldnt help myself sorry "Megadeth" Added an A.

God Im a pedantic prick huh?

Super Cronk
24-09-05, 11:08 PM
Hehe couldnt help myself sorry "Megadeth" Added an A.

God Im a pedantic prick huh?

oops....yeah i always add the A when spelling their name....im just so used to the word DEATH and i mis-spell it.

your just getting me back for pointing out the ULRICH spelling arent you? hahah its all good.

DeeGan
24-09-05, 11:08 PM
Nice topic.

I am not one to have a genre when it comes to music, I can sit back listen to Frank Sinatra, mix it up with Marilyn Manson or chill to the soothing tunes of Ben Harper.

Here is my selection (likely to change every week lol):

* Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
* Coldplay
* Pete Murray
* Powderfinger
* LIVE
* The Rolling Stones
* Marilyn Manson
* Black Eyed Peas
* INXS
* U2

This was TOO HARD Steve lol

Cheers

DeeGan

eelectrica
24-09-05, 11:25 PM
Dream Theater - Brilliant group one of the most talented groups ever.

Iron Maiden - Been a long time fan and still love what they do. Just hate how they're Australia CD releases come with copy protection :mad:
Ah well Amazon.com still sells proper CD's though

Opeth - Progressive death metal. A truelly unique group whose songs can be as gentle as a pond and as angry as a sea in a raging storm and that's all in the one song.

Megadeth - long time favorites

Anthrax - Always a sense of fun

Queensryche - not as great as they once were but there old stuff is all brilliant

Blind Guardian - Power metal with a fantasy theme.

Iced Earth - similar to BG. Do a lot of original things with their songs

Slayer - True masters of Thrash

Pantera - A pity they can never be re-formed. The music industry is crying out for a new CD from the great souther trendkillers and can never happen :(

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 11:26 PM
Nice topic.

I am not one to have a genre when it comes to music, I can sit back listen to Frank Sinatra, mix it up with Marilyn Manson or chill to the soothing tunes of Ben Harper.

Here is my selection (likely to change every week lol):

* Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
* Coldplay
* Pete Murray
* Powderfinger
* LIVE
* The Rolling Stones
* Marilyn Manson
* Black Eyed Peas
* INXS
* U2

This was TOO HARD Steve lol

Cheers

DeeGan

Manson and Sinatra...lol dude, that is an interesting mix.

Bands like INXS, LIVE, The Rolling Stones and U2 deserve God status. I watched the Live at Wembley Stadium concert on Fox 8 tonight that INXS did in 1991, it was awesome. Thats the only word I can use. Those guys are sensational.

Anyone see their new lead singer?

Super Cronk
24-09-05, 11:31 PM
Pantera - A pity they can never be re-formed. The music industry is crying out for a new CD from the great souther trendkillers and can never happen

i knew i was forgetting someone!! pantera is awesome.

DeeGan
25-09-05, 12:06 AM
JD Fortune from Canada is the new INXS lead singer. Very Hutchence like on stage in many ways and has that rock star image covered to a tee.

I think he will fit right in with the band.

J-Storm
25-09-05, 12:11 AM
Manson and Sinatra...lol dude, that is an interesting mix.

Bands like INXS, LIVE, The Rolling Stones and U2 deserve God status. I watched the Live at Wembley Stadium concert on Fox 8 tonight that INXS did in 1991, it was awesome. Thats the only word I can use. Those guys are sensational.

Anyone see their new lead singer?

I think INXS have lost all credibility (what they had left after Hutcho's death) with me. I don't know about other fans, time will tell now they have a new lead singer. I wasn't fussed on him but I just wanted an Aussie lead singer so I'm biased...

They would still rank in my Top 10 bands list though along with:
Bon Jovi
Guns N' Roses
Matchbox 20
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Cold Chisel
U2
KISS
Crowded House
5ive (because secretly everyone loves at least 1 boy band deep down)...

Steve Dangerous
25-09-05, 01:02 AM
I'm very anti-metal and anti-numetal, but I think i'm severly outnumbered here lol.

Titans#1
25-09-05, 08:25 AM
Well here I go.

#1 U2 (was at both Sydney concerts)
#2 Pearl Jam (Canberra Vitalogy Tour)
#3 Pink (Iwas not a huge fan, but then I saw her Live last year and she was one of the best live performers I have ever seen, absolutly amazing)
#4 INXS (haven't seen them live but not sure if I want to with the new singer)
#5 Pantera (Mum wouldn't let me go to their concert when they came last time)
#6 Matchbox 20 (AWESOME live, but I do like Rob as a solo performer too)
#7 Emimen (His music is great, he speaks from the heart)
#8 Robbie Williams (a bit sucky I know but great to listen to full ball when no one is home)
#9 Limp Bizkit (Chocolate Starfish day's)
#10 Oasis (back in the day)

Numbers 4-10 are in no paticular order! There are more, but these are the bands that I just can't stop listening too.

Dakink
25-09-05, 09:55 AM
I'm very anti-metal and anti-numetal, but I think i'm severly outnumbered here lol.

Im just pro-music fullstop rather than any individual genre. Though I flat out refuse to listen to hard core Country & Western. Some of the Alt. Country is OK but not when they start droning about their dogs/utes/sheep/horses....

Titans#1
25-09-05, 11:08 AM
I almost Forgot one of my other Fave's.

GREENDAY

Awesome and awesome again. :D

roostergirl
25-09-05, 07:27 PM
Hmmm this changes on a daily basis and i'll prob be showing my age :D

Pearl Jam
Unwritten Law
Audiovent
Incubus
Sunk Loto
Puddle of Mudd
Guns N Roses
Magic Dirt
Jeff Buckley (RIP)
Hi-5

Mitch
25-09-05, 07:54 PM
KoRn - My favourite Band, I don't care what people think about them.

Sunk Loto - Best Aussie band imo, They even from the GC.

Slipknot - How can u not like 9 freaks that beat each other on stage.

Pantera - Great band fullstop. RIP Dimebag.

Staind - I like everything about this band.

Metallica - Need i say anything?

Mudvayne - Great band.

Avenged Sevenfold - Extremely talented band. Awesome all round.

Deftones - Around the Fur is 1 of my favourites, New stuff isnt great though.

Fear Factory - Awesome band back in the day when they had Dino in it.

PARANoIR
25-09-05, 07:57 PM
Mitch. Korn are crap, how many times must I tell you? :p

Teegy
25-09-05, 07:59 PM
Cannot think of ten so i will just put down my fav

Tupac-Greastest Rapper ever

Mitch
25-09-05, 08:27 PM
Mitch. Korn are crap, how many times must I tell you? :p

Approximately 34078, 8499366, 48724, 0000000 Times. :p

So far i think you are halfway.

LONG LIVE KORN!!! And Peas and Carrots.

[BroncosGirl]
25-09-05, 08:31 PM
Hmmm this is difficult, this is not in order.

1. The Offspring
2. Metallica
3. Marilyn Manson
4. Cat Empire
5. Killswitch Engage
6. Oasis
7. Robbie Williams
8. System of a Down
9. Disturbed
10. Red Hot Chilli Peppers/Led Zepplin/Guns and Roses

I don't know out of those last 3....Theres heaps more, but those are the ones that came to mind.

Steve Dangerous
25-09-05, 09:15 PM
i'm all alone.

Super Cronk
25-09-05, 09:18 PM

Sunk Loto - Best Aussie band imo, They even from the GC.

Slipknot - How can u not like 9 freaks that beat each other on stage.

Pantera - Great band fullstop. RIP Dimebag.

Staind - I like everything about this band.

Metallica - Need i say anything?

Mudvayne - Great band.

Avenged Sevenfold - Extremely talented band. Awesome all round.

Deftones - Around the Fur is 1 of my favourites, New stuff isnt great though.

Fear Factory - Awesome band back in the day when they had Dino in it.

some great artists there. Have you heard FF transgression album yet? i didnt like it.....

Dakink
25-09-05, 09:21 PM
A band called Wolfmother are playing at my local RSL in a few weekends time, which led me to recommend that if anyone sees them advertised near where they are - GO AND SEE THEM! Great live gig in the old Sabbath cross modern rock style. Really good fun.

Steve Dangerous
25-09-05, 09:24 PM
wolfmother are the best new band in australia.

have seen them twice and have been thoroughly blown away. will see them a third next month. amazing band.

debut album in october!

PARANoIR
25-09-05, 09:30 PM
some great artists there. Have you heard FF transgression album yet? i didnt like it.....

Fear Factory are done and dusted. If you liked FF listen to Devildriver, they're a more modern version of them and Dez Favara is their lead singer. They're insane.

Unfortunatley though, I think FF are gone, its a shame, they've come out with some awesome stuff. Demanufacture was a sensational CD.

Dakink
25-09-05, 09:31 PM
Demanufacture absolutely rocked...

Super Cronk
25-09-05, 09:35 PM
Demanufacture absolutely rocked...

your not wrong.

and i think the same PARANoIR they are done and dusted unfortunately...im still hoping they pull an album out of their behind that totaly flips our heads off.

Steve Dangerous
25-09-05, 09:36 PM
most of you listen to the type of music i dislike greatly, but i'll keep my mouth zipped heh. :p

Super Cronk
25-09-05, 09:38 PM
most of you listen to the type of music i dislike greatly, but i'll keep my mouth zipped heh. :p

haha...yeah all different tastes in music. Im actually surprised at the number of "metal heads" on here. Im a member on heaps of other RL forums and normally metal is frowned upon over there.

Dakink
25-09-05, 09:39 PM

Throw some of your tastes my way and you'd be surprised.

Steve Dangerous
25-09-05, 09:46 PM
Here's what i listen to: http://www.last.fm/user/Steve_Dangerous/

i just find nu-metal unlistenable, but i'm outnumbered lol.

Dakink
25-09-05, 09:48 PM

That is a sweet list. DJ Shadow kicks too.

What is that web site?

Super Cronk
25-09-05, 09:49 PM

im not trying to disrespect what you listen to or anything but kanye west!!! C"mon! the guy that sung a song with his mouth wired shut and mumbled and drooled his lyrics? thats unlistenable ;)

Dakink
25-09-05, 09:57 PM
Favourite Zeppelin song - No Quarter

Mitch
25-09-05, 09:57 PM
Trangression isnt that good. Demanufacture and Obsolete were ball tearers.

I agree with para about Devil Driver, they are good but i liked coal chamber better (dez's other band).

Dakink
25-09-05, 09:59 PM
last.fm looks the goods - worth joining up?

Dakink
25-09-05, 10:00 PM
What player do you use?

Steve Dangerous
25-09-05, 10:09 PM
im not trying to disrespect what you listen to or anything but kanye west!!! C"mon! the guy that sung a song with his mouth wired shut and mumbled and drooled his lyrics? thats unlistenable ;)

lol! he's great. and cmon, you gotta admire that passion. he broke his jaw in a carcrash that nearly killed him, and in hospital he got them to bring in his gear so he could write a song about nearly dieing while his jaw was still wired shut! now that's dedication to your craft lol.

dakink... definately worth joining. i use wmp but it works with itunes, winamp, and basically anything.

favourite zeppelin song... tough choice. maybe achilles last stand

roostergirl
26-09-05, 12:59 PM

Hey i have a Korn DVD Asylum i think its called.....and it has this weird enter setup thing where u have to click on things in order to get to the music. I'm stuck on something.....can u help?

Mitch
26-09-05, 10:12 PM
Hey i have a Korn DVD Asylum i think its called.....and it has this weird enter setup thing where u have to click on things in order to get to the music. I'm stuck on something.....can u help?

Yea ive got that aswell. What do u need to know?

roostergirl
27-09-05, 07:35 AM
Yay!!!

I can get thru the dial where you have to click on things in sequence...then you get to the room thats all blue and i've clicked on everything and i cant find the numbers that i am supposed to click on....supposed to be the xray room.

Where are the songs?????

Mitch
27-09-05, 09:50 AM
The X-rays are just biographys of the guys, theres bits of writing and then lil movies that go with them that are funny as! especially heads and JD's.

Umm there are like cheats for the DVD. Ill find them and post them up.

Mitch
27-09-05, 09:59 AM
Switchbox Code
The switchbox code is "9876543210". Enter it then click the right arrow.

More Switchbox Codes
Band History = 9,8,7,6,5,5,5 or 2,7,9,5,8,6
Band Member Bios = 7,7,1,9,9,4
X-Mas Song = 2,4,7,4,7,8,6,2,7

Im pretty sure there are more but i cant find them.

Dakink
29-09-05, 07:20 PM

Joined that website you put up Mr.Dangerous, last.fm.

Just put Media player on random and away we go!!

Its under Dakink if you wwant to go have a look!

Dakink
29-09-05, 10:06 PM
Err ... Just realised that the Mrs songs will also appear.

Christine Aguilera and Dirty Dancing are NOT my choice....

Inferno
29-09-05, 10:10 PM
My top 10 in no particular order is

System of a Down - Toxicity by far their best album, later stuff
Ill Nino
Linkin Park
Mudvayne
Audioslave
Disturbed, listening to their albums right now, they rock
The Gorillaz
Crazy Town
Powerman 5000
Dry Cell

Mainly metal there, although I like songs better than Bands

Steelers
29-09-05, 10:50 PM
My top 7 (not in order)

Green Day
AC/DC
Nirvana
System of a Down
Metallica
U2
Limp Bizkit (old days)

Steelers
29-09-05, 11:04 PM
My top 7 (not in order)

Green Day
AC/DC
Nirvana
System of a Down
Metallica
U2
Limp Bizkit (old days)

forgot to add spiderbait

Steve Dangerous
30-09-05, 01:59 AM
Err ... Just realised that the Mrs songs will also appear.

Christine Aguilera and Dirty Dancing are NOT my choice....

Oh cmon, no need to deny it ;)

Titans#1
30-09-05, 09:49 AM
forgot to add spiderbait

I like your style. Can you imagine the Jukebox in the Titans League Club?