PDA

View Full Version : Thurston talks Rugby League World Cup

Queenslander
12-09-07, 11:28 AM
Thurston talks Rugby League World Cup

07/09/2007

Two-time Dally M Medal winner Johnathan Thurston has taken time out from the Cowboys? finals campaign to outline his World Cup ambitions for 2008.

Thurston says that he is passionate about seizing the opportunity to play for the Kangaroos in front of a home crowd at Dairy Farmers Stadium on November 9 next year.

?I?m desperate to be there,? he said today.

?I?d like to think there?s a chance for me to really cement an Australian jumper in the future and to be a part of a World Cup-winning team.

?Playing for Australia is a huge honour at any time but there?d be something really special about doing it in front of the Townsville fans.

?Through the Cowboys and through matches like the World Cup people are realising just how big Rugby League is in North Queensland.

?I know the PNG guys are going to be based here with Adrian Lam and I reckon our fans will be cheering them against England.

?I?m pretty sure it will be a different story when we play PNG though.?

Townsville Enterprise Limited and the Queensland Government?s Major Sports Facilities Authority have predicted that the World Cup matches will provide a significant boost for tourism in Queensland.

World Cup organisers have confirmed six of the tournament?s 18 matches for Queensland, including the final at Suncorp Stadium on November 22.

Sydney will host the official Opening Ceremony on October 26 with Melbourne also assured of one of the feature games of the tournament when Australia plays England on November 2.

Townsville?s Dairy Farmers Stadium will host PNG against England on October 25 and Australia v PNG on November 9. The World Cup commences in Australia on October 25, 2008 with the final at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, November 22.

Further Rugby League World Cup information is available on the official website rlwc08.com

Further Enquiries: John Brady 02 9339 8524, 0408 881 222.

rlwc08.com