PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the Titans try to sign...

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 05:55 PM
Ben Ross?

With him being forced out of Penrith at the end of this year, why didn't the Titans try and sign him for 2007? With him being a QLD boy, I think he would've been interested in it, and he would've made an excellent partner for Luke Bailey.

DIEHARD
24-09-05, 06:05 PM
My thoughts exactly PARANoIR.

I was very dissapointed that the Titans didn't go after Ben Ross and Ashley Harrison.

Surely they would have been perfect signings...both Queenslanders as well.

Steve Dangerous
24-09-05, 06:07 PM
Ashley would have been a great signing and possible young captain. There was a bit of a bidder war for him though, I'm not sure how much value for money it would have ended up as.

Dakink
24-09-05, 06:08 PM
Costs maybe??

Harrison from all reports wasnt cheap.... Either was Ross.

Perhaps they have their money already budgeted and dont want to blow it on players they havent already thought about.

Teegy
24-09-05, 06:09 PM
Ash Harrison would have been looking at big money at Roosters or Rabbits so i guest that could be a reason :confused: but Ben Ross was signed by the sharks only a day or 2 after he was released by penrith.

Dakink
24-09-05, 06:10 PM
I just seem to remember that he wasnt cheap - not overly expensive but not cheap....

Teegy
24-09-05, 06:15 PM
Harrison would have been worth the money on his recent form but Good players can look great when surrunded by average players

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 06:15 PM
Yeah Harrison's another one as well. He's definitely someone that the Coast could've built the side around.

DIEHARD
24-09-05, 06:21 PM
Ashley would have been a great signing and possible young captain. There was a bit of a bidder war for him though, I'm not sure how much value for money it would have ended up as.

He apparently went to Easts for A LOT less money than what Souths offered him.

I'm sure we could have afforded him.

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 06:22 PM

Yeah I've heard that aswell, he just wanted to play for a "glamour" club thats always certain to gain a top 8 spot :rolleyes:

Teegy
24-09-05, 06:32 PM

Unless the roosters are trying to cheat the cap in some way

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 06:34 PM
Unless the roosters are trying to cheat the cap in some way

:eek: NO! That would be soooooooooooooooooooo unlike the Rorters! :D :rolleyes:

Teegy
24-09-05, 06:36 PM
I would trust the roorters. ricky would do anything to win

Inferno
24-09-05, 06:41 PM
I would trust the roorters. ricky would do anything to win

Except stop whinging about something.

Teegy
24-09-05, 06:44 PM
Except stop whinging about something.
:D :D :D So True

footyfan09
24-09-05, 07:11 PM
Ross was worth about $400 000 i think

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 07:13 PM
Ross was worth about $400 000 i think

Ross?! 400? Pffffffffffffft. Theres over rated right now. He's barely worth $300 in my mind.

We paid guys like Mason and Williams...surely no one can seriously tell me that Ross is on the same level as those guys.

Inferno
24-09-05, 07:17 PM
Yep 400 000 a year for 4 years.

In all honesty we probably did overpay but he was the best of the props for sale this year, which inflated his price.

DeeGan
24-09-05, 07:21 PM
We go the best prop in the game in Luke Bailey followed up by the signing of Anthony LaFrannchi from the Tigers. Ben Ross would of been a great signing though at $400,000 per season? Give me a break. The Sharks have over paid for Ben Ross and he is laughing all the way to the bank.

The coaching staff of the Titans would of been interested in both Ross and Harrison though you have to keep in mind, we are a new club with 7 players and a budget. There is alot that can happen between now and July 1 2005. The way we attack the player market is different to an established club in many ways.

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 07:22 PM
Yep 400 000 a year for 4 years.

In all honesty we probably did overpay but he was the best of the props for sale this year, which inflated his price.

Bailey..O'Hara..Pal'easena..Rauhihi..all these guys were available aswell, but I guess they were all signed come round to Ross being signed.

Still don't think hes worth 400 grand a year. That could come back to haunt Cronulla.

Inferno
24-09-05, 07:31 PM
That could come back to haunt Cronulla.

God If I had a dollar for every time that was said I'd be better off than Ross :rolleyes:

NeWy RooSta
24-09-05, 07:36 PM
The Titans probably didn't go for Ross because of the money he was asking for, which is most likely why they settled for Laffranchi(who i think is better than Ross).

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 07:38 PM
The Titans probably didn't go for Ross because of the money he was asking for, which is most likely why they settled for Laffranchi(who i think is better than Ross).

Yes, now I know he was asking for 400k I'd say that's pretty obvious.

Laffranchis not a bad player, I think hes got a good future.

J-Storm
24-09-05, 11:27 PM
$400,000... He had better be bringing more than his game to Cronulla for that price. He must have some sort of off field talent thrown into that price tag. No wonder the Titans let him go and looked at Laffranchi. Good thing the recruiters at the Titans didn't go the school of thought some clubs obv did...

Super Cronk
24-09-05, 11:37 PM
Ben ross also said he wanted to go to a team that has a good halfback and wanted to win a GF. I take it that he wanted to go to sharks coz of kimmorley, where as the GC hasnt got anyone yet.

he said:

"I was very, very close to going to the Storm," Ross said. "But I didn't know what Orford was doing. In some ways it made the decision easier - but it also was the chance to help the club [Cronulla] win its first premiership. That would be pretty special."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/the-orford-truth-that-drove-ross-to-sharks/2005/07/16/1121455938794.html

PARANoIR
24-09-05, 11:41 PM
Ben ross also said he wanted to go to a team that has a good halfback and wanted to win a GF. I take it that he wanted to go to sharks coz of kimmorley, where as the GC hasnt got anyone yet.

he said:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/the-orford-truth-that-drove-ross-to-sharks/2005/07/16/1121455938794.html

If he wants a good halfback then why go to Cronulla? :D

I guess no one wants to win a comp more than Cronulla...cept maybe the Rabbits.

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 07:41 AM
Well im sure the Gold Coast team didnt want to go on a spending spree, they wanted 10 from this year didn't they? they have got like 7 now i think, so i would be happy with that for this year. Also maybe someone coming of contract next year or a youngster they have there eyes on they might sign...

Teegy
25-09-05, 08:16 AM
Titans don't want to end up like the knights either with 2 players taking up over half the salary cap

Dakink
25-09-05, 10:40 AM
If he wants a good halfback then why go to Cronulla? :D

I guess no one wants to win a comp more than Cronulla...cept maybe the Rabbits.

I think the Rabbits will win a comp before Cronulla too.

PARANoIR
25-09-05, 10:58 AM
I think the Rabbits will win a comp before Cronulla too.

lol. Makes 2 of us mate!

Teegy
25-09-05, 11:22 AM
What the news on Adam Dykes. Does anyone know who he wants to go to.

Super Cronk
25-09-05, 10:52 PM
What the news on Adam Dykes. Does anyone know who he wants to go to.

rumours say he is certain to join souths if he is released from sharks.

Dakink
26-09-05, 09:52 AM
Dykes, being a more organised player would be a good foil for Campbell.

Preston - 7
Dykes - 6

Dont mind the look of that for the initial team.

PARANoIR
26-09-05, 09:55 AM
rumours say he is certain to join souths if he is released from sharks.

He has been released. I don't see why Souths would want him, John Sutton is a better play than him!

Dakink
26-09-05, 09:58 AM
He has been released. I don't see why Souths would want him, John Sutton is a better play than him!

Still not sure of Sutton. He went missing to often for my liking. Perhaps will be a better no.13.

Teegy
26-09-05, 10:00 AM
Thanks all

I agree with you DaKink. Sutton would be better suited at Lock. he reminds me of how Ash Harrison Plays

PARANoIR
26-09-05, 10:46 AM
Still not sure of Sutton. He went missing to often for my liking. Perhaps will be a better no.13.

Thats what Shaun McRae said, but he also said no for a few more years until he finishes growing. I think hes right, he has to wait a bit longer.

Its no coincidence that Souths won almost every one of their games since Sutto returned from injury. I don't think went missing too often.

I know he was awesome when they beat the Dogs, he stood out like dogs balls.

ridgey
26-09-05, 10:57 AM
i heard that the rabbits will only sign dykes if the walker brothers don't re-sign.they have an offer on the table for Shane and Ben and are waiting for a reply,but that was a week or so ago when i was in sydney.

Teegy
26-09-05, 11:00 AM
Walkers are hopeless. sign dykes

Dakink
26-09-05, 11:23 AM
Walkers are hopeless. sign dykes

I agree - Walkers are ok first graders but not the type of player we want at our club. Im thinking more image and work ethic on and off the field here.

Teegy
26-09-05, 11:26 AM
I just don't like them. shane is a nice bloke but the other 2 are up themselves

ridgey
26-09-05, 11:46 AM
i've played against chris and i can't dissagree with ya there!

Teegy
26-09-05, 11:47 AM
Where did you play against Chris

captain charger
26-09-05, 01:27 PM

Not true Diehard,Ash was offered $450,000 at Souths but got more at the Rorters,as far as the salary cap goes though he ism probably on $150,000 :D

ridgey
26-09-05, 02:07 PM
played against chris in 15s at a state carnival and in colts he was a smart **** then and obviously nothing's changed