PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos Squad for October 14 test

Titanium_BD1103
03-09-07, 02:28 PM

The Australian selectors have announced the first 20 included in the Kangaroos train-on squad, in preparation for the October 14 Test match against New Zealand.

The players are from the teams not participating in the NRL finals series and more names will be added as the teams are eliminated from the finals race.

The current Kangaroos train-on squad is:

Sharks - Greg Bird, Paul Gallen, Luke Douglas

Titans - Anthony Laffranchi, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey

Knights – Danny Buderus, Steve Simpson, Kurt Gidley

Panthers – Luke Lewis, Trent Waterhouse

Dragons – Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Ben Creagh, Jason Ryles

Roosters – Braith Anasta, Craig Wing, Anthony Tupou, Nate Myles

Wests Tigers – Robbie Farah

The train-on squad will undergo medicals and a light training run on September 12th and 26th at the Sydney Football Stadium, at 12.30pm.

Squad members are eligible for Prime Minister’s XIII selection which will be will be announced on Tuesday 11th September.

Congrats to Princey, Bull and Anth who all deserve a run in this squad, it's great to see they got it.... :)

There is some really nice talent in the train on squad there, the likes of Gaz, Wingy, Robbie, Gids, Birdy and Bedsy along with the 3 Titans boys will give the team, even with all the finals boys back in the squad, a real shake IMO... :D

RLfan
03-09-07, 02:43 PM
If Bird is "knocked out" as much as he is in the NRL, he won't handle a test match aganist NZ. Dallas Johnson deserves he lock position more anyway.

Queenslander
03-09-07, 02:53 PM
Its good to see the Titans trio there.....no Raiders players though. I would have expected Neville Costigan to get into the squad :duh:

Capital_Shark
03-09-07, 03:59 PM
Nate Myles?! WTF?

Great to see Luke Douglas there, he's been outstanding this year, backing up a great debut season last year. I hope we've got this kid signed in blood for the next decade. Still 5 years till he should be hitting his straps as a prop too.

Kelvinator
03-09-07, 04:07 PM
If Bird is "knocked out" as much as he is in the NRL, he won't handle a test match aganist NZ. Dallas Johnson deserves he lock position more anyway.

if greg bird can't handle it, then i don't think there are many players who can. he is one tough homre.

Steelers
03-09-07, 04:20 PM
Nate Myles?! WTF?

The selectors had to meet their Roosters quota...

Darren Lockyer
03-09-07, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't of minded to see mark minicello there. he has been in great form all year and deserves his spot

jenny
04-09-07, 10:50 AM
Bird best man to replace Lockyer: Gallen
September 3, 2007

Stand-in Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen claimed Sharks teammate Greg Bird was the standout choice to fill Darren Lockyer's boots in the end of season rugby league Test against New Zealand.

Gallen and Bird joined young Sharks teammate Luke Douglas in earning call-ups to the Kangaroos train-on squad ahead of the October 14 clash in Wellington.

Most interest centres on who will fill the Australian No.6 jumper for the one-off clash after Lockyer was ruled out until 2008 due to a knee reconstruction.

Bird is vying with the likes of Sydney Roosters pivot Braith Anasta - the man he replaced as NSW pivot for the final game of the State of Origin series - and Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince for the role, the latter two also named in the train-on squad.

Melbourne's Greg Inglis and St George Illawarra star Mark Gasnier will also come under consideration for the role though it is likely they will be picked to play in the three-quarter line.

While admitting he may be more than a little biased, Gallen said he believed Bird was the right man for the job.

"Birdy's done a really good job at five-eighth," Gallen said.

"Besides Braith in those four or five weeks when (the Roosters) went on their winning streak - and with Lockyer being out - I think Birdy's the No.1 five-eighth at the moment.

"He's really worked on his running game and his last few games have been out of sight - I don't know if they'll go with him there but I think he'd be the best option there.

"He killed it when he played there for NSW."

Gallen admitted the chances of he and his Sharks teammates gaining selection in the final Test squad had been harmed by Cronulla's inability to make the finals.

Douglas was the bolter in the train-on squad but Gallen said the 21-year-old was ready to make the step up into representative football.

"He's such a great young talent and I'd go as far as to say he wouldn't be out of place in the final Test side," Gallen said.

"He's obviously been blooded for the future but he's probably ready now."

Every team bar Canberra had a player named in the squad, which will be added to as teams are omitted from the NRL finals.

The final Test squad will be named the day after the grand final with members of the train-on squad also eligible to play for the Prime Minister's XIII against Papua New Guinea on September 23.

? 2007 AAP

quins rl
04-09-07, 06:40 PM
Have they picked Robbie Farah to stop him playing for Lebanon?? :)

Coaster
04-09-07, 06:56 PM
Have they picked Robbie Farah to stop him playing for Lebanon?? :)

Lebanon can still pick him for the world cup.

If they havnt concreted all there fields by then, after the game he can go play golf in Lebanon largest golf course. 12345342345 holes :)

jenny
04-09-07, 06:57 PM
Lebanon can still pick him for the world cup.

If they havnt concreted all there fields by then, after the game he can go play golf in Lebanon largest golf course. 12345342345 holes :)

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:
LMAO...your on fire tonight....Thats GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coaster
04-09-07, 07:22 PM
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:
LMAO...your on fire tonight....Thats GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe not sure why, had a shocking 14 hour day. and everyone in house seems to be avoiding me like the plague

jenny
04-09-07, 08:15 PM
Hehe not sure why, had a shocking 14 hour day. and everyone in house seems to be avoiding me like the plague

Well grab a slab and get yourself over here to Carrara lol.
We think your hilarious :clap: :clap:

jenny
06-09-07, 04:40 PM
Lockyer gives Anasta Test nod

By Laine Clark
September 06, 2007

ONCE he was cruelly dubbed the NRL's most overrated player. Now Sydney Roosters playmaker Braith Anasta has been rated as the man to replace Darren Lockyer in the Australia side - by the injured five-eighth himself.

But Lockyer made it abundantly clear he didn't want Anasta to get too comfortable with the idea of wearing the Australian No.6 jersey with the 2008 World Cup on the horizon.

Lockyer gave his strongest hint yet that the World Cup would be his representative swansong - if he makes a full recovery from his season-ending right knee injury.

"The World Cup, for a lot of players at the end of their representative career, is pretty important - I want to be there next year," Lockyer said. "Obviously there is a lot of water to go under the bridge in terms of coming back from a knee injury and making sure I am playing good football.

"But I want to be there next year along with guys like (departing Brisbane prop) Petero (Civoniceva)."

National selectors keep an eye on the NRL finals as they brainstorm for the Australian team to play New Zealand at Wellington on October 14. But Lockyer did not have to look further than a preliminary Kangaroos train-on squad to find his next Australian pivot.

"Braith Anasta has been in good form. He would be the frontrunner at this stage," Lockyer said.

Anasta is expected to vie with fellow train-on squad members Scott Prince of the Gold Coast and Cronulla's Greg Bird as well as Melbourne livewire Greg Inglis and perhaps UK-based Trent Barrett for the pivot spot vacated by the injured Lockyer (knee).

While NRL finals form will go a long way to filling the holes left in the Australian team by injuries and UK-bound players, Lockyer hinted that Anasta could seal an international recall at the unlikely location of Papua New Guinea.

From the preliminary 20-man train-on squad featuring players not involved in the finals, a Prime Minister's XIII will be selected next Tuesday to play against Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby on September 23.

An Australian Test squad will later be announced for the one-off Test against the Kiwis.

"The finals might dictate who that's going to be (replace him at five-eighth) but they've picked a train-on squad and there is a team that plays in PNG," Lockyer said.

Australian selection would cap a reversal of fortunes for Anasta who finally relinquished his "Most Overrated Player" tag taken away by Manly's Jamie Lyon in July in the infamous Rugby League Week Players' Poll.

Lockyer today left for PNG as part of an NRL contingent promoting rugby league in the country before the annual Kumuls-PM's XIII match. As a result, he will miss Sunday's grand final re-match against the Storm.

It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks for Lockyer who has returned from England where he was promoting the World Cup and took in the Challenge Cup final at Wembley.

He has two years to run on his Brisbane contract but hinted again that ending his career in England was tempting.

"I thought Suncorp (Stadium) was great but Wembley probably takes the cake," he said. "When you go there and experience the atmosphere and the event itself, it's pretty hard not to think you'd be able to do that one day.

"There was a number of Australian players over there who were in the game and commented on how special a day it was, so maybe one day."

Lockyer hoped his UK promotional stint would help lure rugby league's equivalent of the "Barmy Army" over for next November's World Cup in Australia.

AAP

Queenslander
10-09-07, 01:12 PM
Broncos join Test squad

September 10, 2007

FOUR Brisbane Broncos players have been added to the Australia train-on squad for next month's Test withith New Zealand in Wellington.

Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Justin Hodges and Sam Thaiday have all been included in the squad, and will be eligible for selection in the Prime Minister's XIII side which will be announced tomorrow.

But incumbent centre Hodges may be robbed of his Test spot, with the NRL match review committee to today investigate a high tackle in Brisbane's season-ending loss to Melbourne Storm yesterday.

The Test train-on squad will assemble in Sydney on Wednesday for medicals and a light training run.

AAP

HodgoBerro
10-09-07, 01:20 PM
what a rip....berrigan wasnt even named and if the broncos won yesterday he would of been playing this week

Queenslander
10-09-07, 01:24 PM
what a rip....berrigan wasnt even named and if the broncos won yesterday he would of been playing this week

After the Broncos loss yesterday he is now a ESL player and ESL players don't have much chance of getting into the Australian squad no matter who they are. Although now that I have said that Matt King will get a jersey.....

HodgoBerro
10-09-07, 01:44 PM
but hes still contracted with the broncos until the 31st of oct.

if matt king gets a start thats a rort coz hes going to the esl

Kelvinator
10-09-07, 06:34 PM

how on earth would he get a start??????????????????????
hasn't played for 4 weeks(?), won't play again before the test, thats about 9 or 10 weeks without football. would only be vying for a bench spot anyway, and there are plenty of players who will get that before berrigan.

HodgoBerro
10-09-07, 07:32 PM
because hes one of the best utilities in the game thats why. he was given clearance to play this week if the broncos made it this week

how many players have you seen who can play every position except prop AND has a Clive Churchill Medal? not many...

Kelvinator
10-09-07, 07:51 PM
i'm sure there are plenty of players who can play all these positions, just that most don't get a chance these days because clubs have depth in most positions (not a dig at the broncos either). and clive churchill medal is an award for one game, not consistency over a long period.

i don't want to take anything away from the clive churchill medal or from berrigan, he is a good player. but i think you have you're broncos glasses on, because their are plenty of players in the nrl who could fill the utility role with more match fitness then berrigan.

he's a good player, but by no means far above the rest.

Steelers
10-09-07, 07:54 PM
Ben Hornby is a very handy utility who happened to play halfback last year for Australia...
He was also actually playing before the season ended...

:)

If Berrigan was considered, I would consider it an absolute joke! Noone deserves to be picked based on their reputation alone... that is what I believe, and if they picked Berrigan despite the fact that he hasn't played for a few weeks, then it would be disgraceful IMO. I don't want to see Matt King either... unless he is in the centres. If he gets picked on the wing, then that will be just as disgraceful. Anyone remember SOO?

Queenslander
10-09-07, 07:59 PM
he was given clearance to play this week if the broncos made it this week

But he still didn't so selectors don't have any recent form to look at. Berrigan has been gone for a few weeks now, and like I said his move to the ESL doesn't help his cause.

If he holds onto his form from the past couple of years over in England than he may be a bolter for the World Cup squad; but for a one-off test against New Zealand I think the selectors would like to explore other options for the future.

jenny
21-09-07, 08:50 AM
Fight over Fuifui

By Steve Mascord and Nick Walshaw
September 21, 2007

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart last night made it clear he wants Fuifui Moimoi as Australia prepares to make history by delaying team selection for one player.

For the first time in 100 years, ARL officials are prepared to put off the announcement of a team for two days so the 108kg Parramatta prop's eligibility can be determined.

Moimoi has played in World Cup qualifiers for Tonga, been pencilled in for the Kiwis' 2007 train-on squad - and now a big performance in Sunday's preliminary final against Melbourne will lead to selection for Australia.

"He's been mentioned in our phone hook-ups because he's shown such great impact," Stuart said.

"Each game he plays from here on will be watched with special interest. What Fuifui has done for Parramatta over the last eight weeks is one of the main reasons they've got to where they are.

"These big games are the ones that tell you whether guys can handle Test football."

Moimoi's name had been raised at an Australian selection meeting despite his having already played for Tonga in 2006 and New Zealand A in 2002.

The Australian side to play New Zealand in Wellington on October 14 was to be named the day after the grand final. Thanks to Moimoi, that is now unlikely to happen.

"He can change his choice in a World Cup period but it needs the ratification of the International Federation executive," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said.

"As fate would have it, there's an executive meeting on the Wednesday after the grand final. It may be that we have to delay the announcements of both (Australian and New Zealand) Test teams to allow the executive to consider an application."

Not even the Super League War in 1995, Wally Lewis' broken arm (1990), Wayne Pearce's knee (1986) or incomplete finals series between 1908 and 1952 stopped Australian teams being named on time.

Asked who he wanted to play for, the laconic prop said: "Whoever I get picked by. If I get picked for Australia first, I'll play for them. But if New Zealand pick me first then I'll play for them."

Moimoi was born in Tonga, raised in New Zealand and has lived in Australia long enough to qualify under the three-year residency rule.

Asked what he would do if both trans-Tasman rivals tried to select him, Moimoi replied: "I would have to make a decision. When I was young I always dreamed of playing for New Zealand but I will have to see who approaches me first."

Carr confirmed Moimoi was the only player affected by the situation.

"His popularity, one way or another, could be determined by how he plays this weekend," he said.

"Fui is the only one who has come up, given his recent outstanding form. Given the convenience of that executive meeting...instead of naming that team traditionally on the Monday, we may need to push it back so that we can consider Fui's wishes."

NZRL general manager Peter Cordtz said: "The (train-on) list that's going around is not official yet but comments attributed to Fuifui and Taniela Tuiaki suggest they wanted to play for the Kiwis.

"We have proceeded on that basis. We've had some talks with Australia about Fui and we will probably put off making any more additions to our train-on squad until the matter is resolved by the RLIF."

Moimoi toured France and the United States with New Zealand A in 2002. Eels halfback Tim Smith has no doubt the hulking Tongan will be playing international footy in the near future.
FOX SPORTS

jenny
24-09-07, 03:28 PM
Bowen, Eels become Kangaroos

September 24, 2007

EXCITING fullback Matt Bowen was one of five players added to the Kangaroos' train-on squad today after their teams were knocked out of the NRL finals.

Bowen is joined by North Queensland teammate Carl Webb and Parramatta trio Jarryd Hayne, Eric Grothe and Nathan Hindmarsh in the squad preparing for the Test match against New Zealand in Wellington on October 14.

The Australian Test squad will be named next week after Sunday's grand final between Melbourne and Manly.

AAP

Cowboy Titan
26-09-07, 10:56 AM
Greg Prichard | September 26, 2007
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/stewart-and-orford-in-line-for-test/2007/09/25/1190486312055.html

THE Australian fullback spot is Brett Stewart's to lose in Sunday night's grand final.

The Herald has learned Manly's Stewart has gained the inside running to make his Test debut against New Zealand in Wellington on October 14.

Stewart's brilliant form during the home-and-away rounds and in the finals series so far - and the fact he outpointed his nearest rival for the job, North Queensland's Matt Bowen, in the grand final qualifier on Saturday has given him the edge. The decision by Cowboys and Australian halfback Johnathan Thurston to undergo shoulder surgery ahead of the Test, ruling him out, has also worked in Stewart's favour.

Bowen and Thurston have an uncanny understanding on the field and the idea of them playing together for Australia had obvious appeal. But Thurston had an operation on one shoulder yesterday, and the other will go under the knife in five weeks. History shows that Thurston's presence help makes Bowen a better player for the Cowboys.

Stewart and Bowen were level-pegging for the Test spot before last weekend, but it is understood only a nightmare game against Melbourne will stop Stewart getting the nod. That would open the contest back up for Bowen and the other contenders - the Storm's Billy Slater and Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne.

As far as the halfback spot goes, Matt Orford (Manly), Scott Prince (Wests Tigers) and Cooper Cronk (Melbourne) all have a shot at getting the jumper. Orford is believed to be leading the race, but only just. The decision will be largely influenced by form in the grand final. The selectors will pick the side on Monday.

Meanwhile, Manly coach Des Hasler says the Sea Eagles will take any opportunity to put Melbourne winger Steve Turner under pressure after his nervous display during the second half of the Storm's win over Parramatta on Sunday.

Turner, after switching to fullback while Slater was off injured, let a grubber kick that he could have fielded eight metres off his own line go past him before he ran back into the in-goal and grabbed the ball. He slipped over trying to make his way back out and the Eels pinned him for a dropout. Soon afterwards, he dropped a bomb with no Parramatta players near him.

"It all goes into the mix," Hasler said. "He would be disappointed with what happened and we'll test him out in the normal course of things. But it's going to take more than a dropped bomb for us to beat Melbourne."

Manly had 11 players miss training on Monday because of injuries.

Yesterday, some of those players trained lightly and some again sat out the session but the only one at any risk of not playing on Sunday is winger Chris Hicks.

However, Hasler said he was "pretty optimistic" Hicks, who missed the win over the Cowboys with an ankle injury, would be fit to play.

Cowboy Titan
26-09-07, 11:02 AM
As far as the halfback spot goes, Matt Orford (Manly), Scott Prince (Wests Tigers) and Cooper Cronk (Melbourne) all have a shot at getting the jumper. I was sure I'd seen Scott lining up for a different team this year. Oh well, I guess Greg Pritchard knows what he's talking about.

It's funny how one game can have so much bearing on selection. Matt was consistently brilliant all year, was the Dally M Fullback of the year and came 4th overall but looks a chance of missing out on based on one game that he went into with an injury. Stewart would do a great job for Australia but I'd still love to see Matt in the team.

Queenslander
26-09-07, 04:17 PM
Grothe rejected by Stuart

September 26, 2007

PARRAMATTA star Eric Grothe is no longer in Australia coach Ricky Stuart's plans after the wing failed to turn up to today's train-on squad gathering.

Grothe, who played in Sunday's preliminary final loss to Melbourne, is following a pattern after he infamously showed up two hours late for a New South Wales City Origin medical last year - before being ruled out of the City-Country Origin match.

"I'm not going to lie, he didn't lob," Stuart said.

"He knew about it and he'll be no longer in my plans. I hope the selectors and the ARL understand that's only my decision, but I hope they take it on board.

"A person who's not going to respect the jumper, as I said from day one when I got this job. He won't be in my plans this year and/or in the future."

Asked how he felt about Grothe's no show, Stuart said: "Satisfied actually. He gives me great evidence today as to where his indications lie, and that's obviously to have a drink with his mates."

Stuart said he had not received an apology from Grothe.

In other Test news, North Queensland forward Carl Webb has been ruled out of contention for the October 14 match against New Zealand in Wellington, with his calf tear still causing concern.

Sharks lock Paul Gallen will see specialist Dr Des Bokor on Friday to have a shoulder injury sustained in the Prime Minister's XIII match against Papua New Guinea checked.

AAP

DIEHARD
26-09-07, 05:14 PM
I can't believe Grothe didn't show up. People need to have more respect for the green and gold.

It offends players, legends, admins and fans alike.

Cowboy Titan
26-09-07, 05:25 PM
Silly boy Eric.

What a shame for Carl Webb to miss yet another test through injury. Hopefully he can stay fit next year and finally debut for Australia.

Super Cronk
26-09-07, 05:35 PM
Wouldnt give it to Orford.

Prince, well he has experince in big games and his form of late hasnt been to bad.

Cronk has played awesome the past 2 years, but doesnt have experince at rep level, if they wanted to give him a shot i dont think he would dissapoint./