PDA

View Full Version : soccer or football? arggghhh

Super Cronk
16-11-05, 02:27 PM
I have called the sport soccer ever since i can remember. Alot of big soccer fans say no its football.

But then why are the aussies called SOCCERroo's?

Dakink
16-11-05, 02:50 PM
Good post.

All the world bar us and the US call the game football. I guess in the true sense of the word it is the true football. Have played the game all my life (with League - Saturday and sunday can be hard on the body) I still call it soccer.

Super Cronk
16-11-05, 02:53 PM
The way i see it is football is the main catergory....the you have the Sub gatergories:

Football

-AFL
-Soccer
-Rugby league
-Gridion

thats the way i see it.

Titanium_BD1103
17-11-05, 02:53 PM
Football is what it is known around the world.. Soccer is what we have called it here...

Football is what it should be called.. but hey for me it is what Johnny Warren said we should call it for a compromise...

*Footszball* LOL.. now that is a great name... :D :D :D

Teegy
17-11-05, 02:57 PM
Soccer should be its name. foot ball is a catagory IMO just like Super Cronk posted above

Football

-AFL
-Soccer
-Rugby league
-Gridion
-Union

DIEHARD
17-11-05, 02:59 PM
The way i see it is football is the main catergory....the you have the Sub gatergories:

Football

-AFL
-Soccer
-Rugby league
-Gridion

thats the way i see it.

Right on. It's just John O'Neil's spoiling tactics. He did it with RUGBY union and now Association FOOTBALL.

It is disrespectful of other forms of football.

Soccer is Association Football.

Dakink
17-11-05, 03:07 PM
Aus and the US are the only nations that call it soccer. Association football??? Dont think so. Worldwide it is football. Always has and always will be - though I still call it Socce to ;-)

Super Cronk
17-11-05, 03:07 PM
Soccer should be its name. foot ball is a catagory IMO just like Super Cronk posted above

Football

-AFL
-Soccer
-Rugby league
-Gridion
-Union

oops i forgot union...

Dakink
17-11-05, 03:16 PM
Freudian slip perhaps - or is it that it is so unimportant that you never notice it?

..::Coops::..
17-11-05, 03:24 PM
yep have to sya i agree with teegy and super cronk.

i call it soccer and it is apart of football just like afl and union and league etc

Queenslander
17-11-05, 03:25 PM
yep have to sya i agree with teegy and super cronk.

i call it soccer and it is apart of football just like afl and union and league etc
Yeah i agree with that. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
17-11-05, 03:27 PM
We are a rare nation that embraces many football codes. It is beautiful.

Titanium_BD1103
17-11-05, 03:43 PM
I know.. it is what makes us all so very special.. the fact that we can embrace any sport and as a nation can carry it to victory.. whether it be curling, bobsled, Soccer/Football, Rugby League, Union, AFL, squash, Diving, Swimming or Athletics.. we always give 100% behind our sports heroes and we also see them home.. :) :)

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AUSTRALIAN because we are a nation that embraces all that is good and believe me, sport is good.. ;)

DIEHARD
17-11-05, 03:54 PM
I know.. it is what makes us all so very special.. the fact that we can embrace any sport and as a nation can carry it to victory.. whether it be curling, bobsled, Soccer/Football, Rugby League, Union, AFL, squash, Diving, Swimming or Athletics.. we always give 100% behind our sports heroes and we also see them home.. :) :)

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AUSTRALIAN because we are a nation that embraces all that is good and believe me, sport is good.. ;)

Hahaha top quality post mate!

SaRaH...
17-11-05, 04:04 PM
I call it Soccer but my friend calls it football and when ever she says Football I always think of league or union.

But then why are the aussies called SOCCERroo's?
Just imagine if they were called the FOOTBALLROO'S.....it doesn't sound very good....

Titans#1
17-11-05, 04:13 PM
The reason that the rest of the world call it Football is because it was the only sport that was played in those neighbouring countries that was a ball being kicked by a foot. Football is VERY easy to translate to all languages. I thought only the English speaking countries also refer to it as Soccer (to distingiush from othe types of foot and ball sports).
This is my opinion coming from a non english speaking background.

Titanium_BD1103
17-11-05, 04:15 PM
What background are you Titans#1- Hey there is another thread for the social forum LOL.. :D :D

Ok, that is a very understandable and highly well thoughtout response, just a qustion though.. why is it known as Football in England.. when english speaking countries such as the US and Australia call it Soccer.. ;)

Titans#1
17-11-05, 04:19 PM
What background are you Titans#1- Hey there is another thread for the social forum LOL.. :D :D

Ok, that is a very understandable and highly well thoughtout response, just a qustion though.. why is it known as Football in England.. when english speaking countries such as the US and Australia call it Soccer.. ;)

I'm Dutch (born and bred) No accent though.

I thought it was called the English Soccer League from memory.

Titanium_BD1103
17-11-05, 04:23 PM
I think it is the English Premier league hence the EPL.. and all the commentators for the BBC call it football, but you may be right.. I don't know the history of football/soccer in England.. so I will go with you there... ;)

Titans#1
17-11-05, 04:25 PM
I think it is the English Premier league hence the EPL.. and all the commentators for the BBC call it football, but you may be right.. I don't know the history of football/soccer in England.. so I will go with you there... ;)

I just did a Google on it, and they are both used in England. there's a site called e-soccer and e-football. I think they don't even know which to use! lol :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
17-11-05, 04:27 PM
Well they are English.. they do whatever they think is right..LOL.. they are the only people I know who would create a Church and not completely understand what the church is about.. well they do now.. but apparently back then they got confused.. ;)

DIEHARD
17-11-05, 04:31 PM
Northern England (Rugby League heartland) call soccer soccer.

Dakink
18-11-05, 08:07 AM
Having travelled extensivly through the UK I am yet to meet any British North or South that calls it soccer.

Christabella
19-11-05, 08:52 AM
Having travelled extensivly through the UK I am yet to meet any British North or South that calls it soccer.
Neither am I, Rugby League and Rugby Union get their full titles but no matter where you go soccer is regarded as football ... perhaps something to do with the fact that with one exception the players can only use their feet to pass the ball?
The time spent kicking the ball in League and Union is a lot more limited and usually only a few of the team members possess kicking skills.

I will usually refer to is as football unless I am dealing with someone who is not a fan and will get confused by the terminology.