PDA

View Full Version : The Horse Flu Thread

Titanium_BD1103
30-08-07, 04:13 PM
HodgoBerro and DIEHARD, got any Greyhounds you can send down south to run... the Dogs are going to get worked over severely this spring... :nope:

Flu kills spring carnival Brian Robins
August 30, 2007 - 2:44PM

Sydney's racing spring carnival is off with confirmation that eight out of 10 racehorses at Anthony Cummings's stable at Randwick racecourse have tested positive for horse flu.

NSW Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said the positive tests spelled the death knell for Sydney's spring carnival, with Randwick racecourse to be quarantined for about two months.

The quarantine would extend for 30 days from the last case of the flu and was expected to go through the Randwick site quickly, he told a media conference today.

Peter V'Landys, the chief executive of Racing NSW said: "This is a dark, dark day for racing."

Ten horses from Cummings's stable were tested, with eight returning positive results to the flu.

They are the first racehorses to test positive since the beginning of the nation's flu crisis.

Until today, the flu had been restricted to the pleasure horse industry.

The first sign of the flu among racehorses came overnight, with the results of initial tests taken from the Cummings-trained Paxton showing the gelding had the highly contagious virus.

About 700 racehorses are trained at Randwick and most are expected to eventually be affected by the virus.

There was some good news, however. The flu testing of racehorses at Warwick Farm, Rosehill, Newcastle and Dubbo courses had all proven negative, Mr Macdonald said.

- with AAP

Well this isn't good and it's very sad to see a horse have to go like that... :(

Looks like it's a day out at the Dogs in Sydney this spring... with no spring carnival in NSW, massive losses for bookies, no racing at Randwick, Wyong, Grafton, Rosehill, Warrick Farm, Hawkesbury, Nowra and any other track in NSW, and a full quarantine on all horses in NSW... which means no NSW horses in any of the Victorian spring carnival races including the Melbourne Cup... :nope::(

DIEHARD
30-08-07, 05:55 PM
This is devastating for the racing industry! Our family has always been involved in racing, all codes of it and I hate to see this.

This will also be devastating to greyhound racing as our income isn't just off what we generate (Even though that scenario would generate millions upon millions of extra revenue for the dishlickers.) but a percentage of the overall turnover.

So without the horses, greyhounds lose out. But with the greyhounds still racing at least both the horse racing codes still get a little bit of income.

Greyhounds in Queensland has added an extra meeting, taking over Saturday night at Albion Park, the time and venue usually occupied by harness racing.

They have gotten strong support from the industry with 12 races in total! Usually 10 is the normal number. And people thought there wasn't enough racing dogs in Queensland!

I'm happy to see greyhound racing at Albion Park on a Saturday. I'm actually heavily involved in the administration of greyhound racing in Queensland and I was really gunning for the introduction of a Saturday meeting.

Greyhounds and harness racing share Albion Park so even for trialing days, greyhound trainers need to adhere to strict requirements in attempting to contain the virus.

There have been reports of a Queensland race horse coming down with it. This is bad news.

Greyhound racing is enjoying huge pools but with no horse racing I fear not only for the people in the industry and above all the animals, but that we might lose punters to sports betting and worse....poker machines!

Titanium_BD1103
30-08-07, 06:35 PM
I know, it's bad isn't it DIEHARD.. I'm surprised at how much one relys on the other though TBH... I thought it would be a big windfall for the dogs, didn't realise all that... :(

Yeah, I have people I know, not mates as such but people I use to go to school with and who I've worked with who have shares in horses, are horse breeders or in once case, own an entire farm of horses for racing... this will cripple them... and I don't want to see that, it really is devastating... :nope:

DIEHARD
30-08-07, 06:38 PM
It is a big windfall in other ways, we will still get bonus revenue from on course gambling and it is a windfall of publicity and attention.

Hopefully all these punters will stay punting on puppies, the best form of gambling...with rugby league a close second.

I wish we had some race ready dogs to put in for Saturday, but we are currently coming back from spelling our dogs and they are a couple weeks off being fit. They still got a strong draw, with 2 extra races than normal.

I'm looking forward to it.

HodgoBerro
30-08-07, 06:53 PM
motoring along is running on sat at albion park are you gonna be there diehard as we are all going

PROMETHEUS
30-08-07, 09:34 PM
So is the flu capable of killing the horses?

Titanium_BD1103
30-08-07, 11:25 PM

Uh Huh... it's already done it to a horse that was being kept under supervision in Campbelltown today...:nope::cry:

Capital_Shark
31-08-07, 04:04 AM
I heard somewhere that this flu wasn't deadly.. That was only a day or two after it broke out though - has it got worse?

HodgoBerro
31-08-07, 07:39 AM
a case has broken out at royal randwick causing the spring carnival to be cancelled this also means there will be no racing there for 2 months

2 cases have been reported at brookfield in qld making the come back date for qld racing extended for another fortnight at least

travop
31-08-07, 08:47 AM
this flu has hit our family pretty hard beacause my cosuin was compeating at morgan park when it broke out last sunday and in the past few days both her horses have contracted the flu. this has set her back greatly dampened her olympic hopes for bejing next year. on top of that she works two jobs one at a suncorp branch, second as the rider of buck for the broncos

HodgoBerro
31-08-07, 07:39 PM
is buck ok? it was an empty feeling last sunday without him

Queenslander
31-08-07, 07:42 PM
is buck ok? it was an empty feeling last sunday without him

There is a nation wide ban on the transportation of horses so that is why Buck wasn't at the Raiders game.

jenny
31-08-07, 07:42 PM
this flu has hit our family pretty hard beacause my cosuin was compeating at morgan park when it broke out last sunday and in the past few days both her horses have contracted the flu. this has set her back greatly dampened her olympic hopes for bejing next year. on top of that she works two jobs one at a suncorp branch, second as the rider of buck for the broncos

Thats awful Trav...Poor girl
Dont lose hope yet ;)

HodgoBerro
31-08-07, 07:48 PM
There is a nation wide ban on the transportation of horses so that is why Buck wasn't at the Raiders game.

i knew that. i wanted to know whether buck has contracted equine influenza in the midst of the ecidemic as due to the ban on transportation of all equine animals it was very empty on sunday

travop
31-08-07, 08:38 PM
oh no bucks ok my cuz she just rides buck she dosent own him but her horse "ks archie" has got it pretty bad

travop
31-08-07, 08:39 PM

yes only if you work them when they have the flu but not if they have lots of rest

nflin3
02-09-07, 09:12 PM
It is a shame Camilla Parker Bowels won't be competing anytime soon

PROMETHEUS
02-09-07, 10:05 PM
It is a shame Camilla Parker Bowels won't be competing anytime soon

BOOM-TISH!:(

travop
03-09-07, 06:52 PM
isnt it funny that that movie "Racing stripes" was shown last saturday night on nine in the middle of the flu crisis

DIEHARD
06-09-07, 09:38 AM
Apparently the flu has hit Queensland harness racing. And the champion Blacks A Fake has been struck down! :nope:

Queensland greyhounds will have a Saturday meeting at Albion Park this weekend. But this flu is still costing greyhounds $100,000 a week.

HodgoBerro
06-09-07, 01:42 PM
i think dad said he put motoring along in at capalaba on saturday whether he starts is another thing as he suffered a check last sat and injured his leg

HodgoBerro
08-09-07, 08:46 PM
just letting you know motoring along won at albion park tonight he won by a quarter of a length in 30.50. he was paying $16.10 for the win *DOH!*

DIEHARD
09-09-07, 09:10 AM
A great time and a hanson pay out. He will win a few at that speed.

HodgoBerro
09-09-07, 09:41 AM
dad said he can improve as he has a minor shoulder injury which weve been treating and is almost right

HodgoBerro
13-09-07, 08:18 AM
just saw on sunrise that all qld pony & horse club meetings are cancelled until next year due to ei

HodgoBerro
19-09-07, 05:46 PM
good night on monday for the bright ebony x jeanies queen litter we bred 3 winners

jenny
22-09-07, 04:45 PM
NSW horse flu crisis worsening
By Caryl Williamson
September 22, 2007

THE 2008 Sydney autumn carnival is now in serious danger following confirmation equine influenza (EI) has spread to the Warwick Farm training centre.
Rosehill, which is home to around 300 horses, is now the only EI-free precinct in the metropolitan area after Randwick was shut down last month.

Almost 700 horses are trained at Randwick and about 500 at Warwick Farm where two horses are confirmed with the highly-contagious virus.

Based on the experience at Randwick, most horses at Warwick Farm are now expected to get EI with concern now centred on horses in spelling paddocks and pre-training establishments.

Strategic inoculation is due to get underway next week with the importation of a vaccine from France.

A restricted race meeting scheduled at Rosehill today for horses trained at that track as well as Warwick Farm was abandoned when news of the Warwick Farm outbreak came through.

Sydney has already lost its rich spring carnival and no horses are allowed to travel across the border to Victoria to compete in the Melbourne carnival.

"It's a dark day again for racing in New South Wales," Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'Landys said.

"It's a major body blow for New South Wales racing today. This has set us back weeks if not months.

"There are a lot of horses getting ready to come back into work and we certainly don't want them infected so we need to vaccinate."

Last week, a meeting of racing officials conceded the autumn carnival, which traditionally reaches its climax over Easter, would more than likely have to be rescheduled to peak a month later.

The Sydney Turf Club (STC) stages the world's richest race for two-year-olds, the $3.5 million Golden Slipper, which is currently set down for March 15 at Rosehill, the Saturday before Easter.

"We are very concerned about the Golden Slipper," STC chief executive Michael Kenny said.

"The two-year-old horses need a preparation to be able to race.

"Clearly they are in paddocks now or in work now and clearly they are not going to be able to be prepared in time.

"We'll look to put the Golden Slipper back a number of weeks - we have to regroup.

"Everything changed today."

Kenny and V'Landys were still hopeful a meeting for Rosehill horses only could be staged soon after vaccination was carried out.

Investigations are currently ongoing as to how EI reached Warwick Farm with human error cited as the probably cause.

However trainer Clarry Conners, whose horses were the first at Warwick Farm to be diagnosed, said there were fears it was being carried by birds.

"I took all the security precautions so I don't know," Conners said.

"They say it could be human error but everybody who came into my stable did the right thing as far as I know.

"I'm concerned it could be tracked to the pigeons. They're a big problem in the stables and they could take it from feed bin to feed bin in their wings and shed it as they fly. You can't control that."
TELEGRAPH

jenny
24-09-07, 03:39 PM
No guarantee Melbourne Cup will go ahead
September 24, 2007

FEDERAL Agriculture Minister Peter McGauran says he cannot guarantee the Melbourne Cup will go ahead this year because of the horse flu crisis.

Victoria remains free of equine influenza despite other states being hit, particularly NSW.

About 1500 horses in Victoria will be vaccinated, with a shipment of 20,000 doses of vaccine expected to arrive from France on Thursday.

It takes up to three weeks for a horse to gain full immunity against equine influenza once vacccinated.

"We'll start vaccinating them at the end of the week but it's going to be a pretty nervous wait to make sure influenza doesn't get introduced into Victoria for three weeks," Mr McGauran said on Southern Cross radio.

Asked if he could guarantee the Melbourne Cup would go ahead, the minister said: "No, but I think the next three weeks will decide it.

"If it's not introduced into Victoria, the immunity will be acquired by the horses (vaccinated).
"But nobody should celebrate or relax until the carnival's completely finished."

Mr McGauran said horse owners would have to bear the cost of vaccinating their animals - up to $150 a year to cover as many as three shots - if containment failed and the virus spread.

"We're certainly doing the initial vaccinations as part of the containment strategy, but if we give up on containment and influenza becomes accepted in the horse population I'm afraid that will be borne by each owner," he said.

Victoria wanted more scientific assessment before allowing potentially infected NSW horses to run in its races, he said.

The Federal Government has set up an inquiry, headed by former High Court judge Ian Callinan, to investigate the quarantine failure that led to the outbreak.

Mr McGauran said it could take "months" for the inquiry to be completed.

Earlier today, he said there was evidence that measures to contain the spread of the virus were working, despite reports horse flu had spread to Singapore.

"In fact there's a green zone declared for much of southern NSW where horses can move more freely, so it's a long way from Victoria at this stage," he said on Channel 9.

Mr McGauran said it appeared more likely than not that the spring racing carnival would go ahead.
"I think it will," he said.

"On the balance of probabilities it will proceed because Victoria is still free of influenza.

"There's a lot of territory north of the Victoria-NSW border that is free of influenza. What will sabotage the spring carnival is if somebody violates the ban on the movement of horses and brings it across that border into Victoria, or a person negligently or innocently carries it on their person into Victoria.

"We have to prepare for the worst-case scenario and that's why we're vaccinating the spring carnival horses."
AAP

jenny
24-09-07, 06:05 PM
Magic Millions Cancelled
On the news now,6 QLD horses have Horse Flu.
Eagle Farm shut down for 2 months.

jenny
25-09-07, 06:39 AM
Horse flu fears arise on three new fronts
September 25, 2007

HORSE flu has spread to a riding school in Sydney's south-west, where 230 horses are stabled and three horses at Kembla Grange racetrack near Wollongong are showing possible symptoms of the disease.

Meanwhile, Queensland racing was plunged into crisis yesterday when two cases of suspected horse flu were reported in horses trained at Doomben.

Six horses stabled with Peter Hulbert showed clinical signs of equine influenza and further tests have been sent from Brisbane to Geelong for official confirmation.

Doomben and neighbouring Eagle Farm racecourse were under quarantine with trackwork cancelled at both venues.

However, meetings this week at Ipswich and Mackay are expected to go ahead as scheduled.

The NSW Department of Primary Industries said five horses at the Scenic Hills Riding Ranch, near Ingleburn, had tested positive to equine influenza.

The school has been placed in quarantine, with a restricted area of 10 kilometres around it.

Racing NSW's chief steward, Ray Murrihy, said three sick horses at Kembla Grange from the stable of Diane Poidevin-Laine were being tested. "The fact there is three in one stable is concerning," he said. Kembla was to have hosted a meeting tomorrow until the virus struck Warwick Farm at the weekend.

Officials decided to cancel the Kembla program to reduce the risk of flu spreading to its thoroughbred population before the scheduled arrival of 20,000 doses of vaccine this week. The federal Agriculture Minister, Peter McGauran, said vaccinations against horse flu should ensure Victoria's spring racing carnival, including the Melbourne Cup, would go ahead and urged authorities to consider allowing NSW horses to run in the cup.

He said an expert panel would consider the issue, though he was not sure how it would work with Victoria's border controls.

A decision on racehorse Leica Falcon would focus the issue, he said. Leica Falcon is trained at Corowa, a flu-free area on the NSW side of the border, and is awaiting clearance to be allowed to travel south.

"Leica Falcon is then vaccinated and is coming from a green zone, where there's no outbreak of the disease," he said.

"I think the Victorians will have to put a strong case for barring its entry."

AAP

DIEHARD
25-09-07, 05:39 PM
All hell has broken loose in Queensland racing with horse races shut down till Feb 1.

Press conference has taken place with Racing Minister Andrew Fraser.

EI has infected Brisbane metropolitian horses, atm Gold Coast and Ipswich are unaffected.

How this will affect greyhounds which share Albion Park with the harness racers and the Gold Coast is still to be known, but Albion Park trials is cancelled for tomorrow.

Hopefully greyhounds won't lose their premier track until Feb 1 as well. Ipswich is self contained and can carry some burden of meetings.

DIEHARD
25-09-07, 05:42 PM
DPI website is down.

DIEHARD
25-09-07, 05:45 PM
Racing cancelled until February

HORSE racing in Brisbane is likely to be suspended until February following a horse flu outbreak near the city's racing precinct.

Racing Minister Andrew Fraser this afternoon said the discovery of equine influenza (EI) at stables in the Brisbane suburbs of Hendra and Deagon meant it was highly unlikely any racing events would be scheduled in the city before February 1 next year.

"We have a very significant issue that will require the industry as a whole to take a number of drastic measures to secure the long term future of the industry," he said.

"This undoubtedly is Queensland racing's darkest hour."

Mr Fraser said Queensland Racing hoped to move quickly to vaccinate horses in the areas surrounding Brisbane, including the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Toowoomba, once the first vaccines arrived later this week.
He said it was hoped racing could return to those areas before February.

"The real name of the game at the moment is to make sure we get the vaccine by the weekend and get it out to horse populations that don't have it (EI) yet," he said.

"That would enable us, on some scenarios, to have the horses back on the track perhaps before February 1.

"But one of the issues is once you vaccinate, then you've got to spell all the horses and then there's a period before they will be back in any condition to race.

"So as to the time we can expect to see racing outside metropolitan Queensland, that very much is a day-by-day scenario at the moment."

NEWS.COM.AU

DIEHARD
25-09-07, 05:47 PM
Albion Park WED trials cancelled.

The Thursday and Friday Albion Park dog meets will be subject to a decision by the DPI and the GRAQ tomorrow, it isn't looking good, but the fixtures may be transfered to Ipswich.

Albion Park is in lockdown due to the on course horses.

Gold Coast trials will be on tonight, they are unaffected.

HodgoBerro
25-09-07, 06:08 PM
i hope racing is not cancelled for the dogs on fri as motoring along has a start and dad needs the cash

DIEHARD
25-09-07, 06:15 PM
We have a dog in Albion Park thursday but also Friday and he had box 1.

After coming second by a head from box 7 last Friday.

It's unfortunate for the trainers, connections and punters, but small in the grand scheme of things. :nope:

DIEHARD
25-09-07, 06:55 PM
Just got an email with the latest...

ALBION PARK MEETINGS TRANSFERRED TO IPSWICH GRC

Owners and Trainers Please note:

The Albion Park Thursday night and Friday twilight race meetings this week have been transferred to Ipswich because of a lockdown at Albion Park.

The Department of Primary Industries very late today declared Albion Park had to be shut indefinitely. A meeting tomorrow between the DPI and officials of all three racing codes will determine a number of issues including a return to racing at Albion Park next week.

The GRA has informed trainers they may scratch without penalty from the Albion Park Thursday and Friday meetings that have been transferred to Ipswich.

The GRA will amend race distances for those two moved meetings tomorrow (Wed)."We are hoping the fields for these two meetings will stand up with minimal scratchings," said Stewards Chairman Danny Ryan.

Nominations for the planned Monday race meeting at Albion Park (Oct 1) will close as normal at 8.30am Wednesday. Ipswich and Gold Coast meetings for this week remain unchanged.

We appreciate the trainers support given the circumstances surrounding the decision to transfer these meetings to facilitate the continuance of greyhound racing on these nights.

D M Beavis
General Manager

25 September 2007

HodgoBerro
26-09-07, 05:07 PM
dad i think is scratching motoring along. he said its a non penalty event for people travelling long distances. also ginger legs is due to whelp a litter by surf lorian on fri and she may need to have a caesarian.

DIEHARD
26-09-07, 05:19 PM
The distance is a problem, but I think scratchings will be small because most trainers are based on the southside and at least Albion and Ipsiwch both have 520m distances. Friday may be another issue.

DIEHARD
26-09-07, 07:08 PM
Bligh gives $8m to racing

THE Queensland government has announced an emergency assistance package to deal with the horse flu crisis - which it has likened to a natural disaster.

Premier Anna Bligh today mobilised the state disaster management group to handle the equine influenza (EI) outbreak, which has now hit the racing industry.

Racing in Brisbane has been cancelled until February, after horse flu was detected at a stable near the Doomben and Eagle Farm racetracks on Monday and six cases were detected in the Brisbane suburb of Deagon yesterday.

Ms Bligh announced a package to help people directly employed in the racing industry.

A small business interest subsidy scheme will help those who have trouble meeting their financial commitments because of the crisis.

State cabinet will determine the criteria for the scheme when it meets on Monday but it is estimated it will give around $8 million in assistance.

The Australian Bankers Association will also offer short-term relief for those who can't meet mortgage and loan repayments.

Also announced was a "one-stop shop" to be located near Brisbane's racetracks for people to access information on relief. A mobile service will visit areas outside Brisbane.

Charities will administer emergency payments of up to $100 to people waiting for Centrelink payments to begin.

Ms Bligh said the funds were not capped as the package was designed to help people as the crisis unfolded.

http://www.news.com.au/

DIEHARD
27-09-07, 01:50 AM
Bligh's 'heartless' response

PREMIER Anna Bligh has been branded "cold and heartless" for her response to the horse flu crisis as a desperate racing industry demands cash to secure its future.

The industry was furious last night over a State Government assistance package that offered no financial commitment to industry workers.

The outbreak at Hendra on Tuesday has suspended racing and trackwork in the southeast indefinitely, but some training centres could be available for infected horses to have walking exercise tomorrow.

Flu vaccination vials will arrive in Brisbane tomorrow and Queensland Racing will begin treating clean horses on Saturday.

Queensland Racehorse Trainers Association president Neil Boyle said he was stunned by the lack of state support for the racing industry, which pours $60 million a year into Treasury coffers through wagering taxes and GST and payroll tax revenue.

"We have been good for them in making sure millions of dollars are flowing back but the Government is prepared to let us go down the gurgler," Mr Boyle said. "It doesn't make sense not to give us a helping hand now to ensure we can get back to normal as soon as possible."

Ms Bligh released a natural disaster assistance scheme yesterday but it did not include a commitment to supplement a $110 million Commonwealth scheme already deemed inadequate by the industry. Small businesses in financial hardship will be offered subsidised government loans while banks and insurers have been asked to provide relief to affected customers.

The state package also includes a "one-stop shop" at the racing hub of Hendra, where financial, social and employment advice will be provided. Others are already in place at Brookfield, Goondiwindi, Rosewood, Tamborine and Warwick.

But a $100-at-a-time emergency cash handout through Red Cross and Lifeline trumpeted as a "new measure" is already available any time through the Department of Communities.

Opposition Leader Jeff Seeney last night launched a scathing attack on the Premier, declaring her package "long on rhetoric and short on cash".

"The Premier is being cold and heartless," Mr Seeney said. "There is still no financial commitment. The $100 drip feed is a joke, reducing people in the industry to destitution before they get help."

Ms Bligh stressed the package was only a short-term solution for those directly involved in racing and flagged further measures when economic hardship stretched to fringe players.

"This an emergency, immediate payment for those people who were expecting to get paid on Saturday and now won't be," Ms Bligh said.

The outbreak at Hendra has proven, in a rather morbid sense, to be a boon for racing in Rockhampton. With the central Queensland city free to race on Saturday because it is not in an infected zone, it will become the state's major TAB meeting.

Jockey Mark Barnham has ridden in Rockhampton for a decade, without ever feeling the desire to prove himself in the big smoke. But this Saturday is different. The big smoke is coming to him.

"It is very good promotion for Rockhampton racing - you would never knock it back," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/

nflin3
27-09-07, 02:48 PM
It has started already.

I give her a year max.

DIEHARD
28-09-07, 04:51 PM
ALBION PARK BACK RACING

GREYHOUND racing will re-start at Albion Park on Monday night.

This follows urgent meetings between the GRA, the Brisbane Club, Department of Primary Industries and the Office of Racing.

The DPI concerns revolved around stabling behind the major semaphore board at the end of the straight
Further security measures will be installed in this area to restrict access.
The move of Thursday and Friday?s Albion Park meetings to Ipswich was a precautionary measure.

After discussions with the DPI, it has been resolved that the bio-security arrangements already in place will continue.

But for greyhound race meetings and trials extra precautions will be implemented.

Anyone handling dogs on track will be required to use a special hand wash when leaving the complex to return home. This will be made available near the kennel block.

Another foot bath will be located in the same area for greyhound handlers to dip their shoes in when leaving the track.

These precautions must be strictly adhered to.

There will be no restrictions on public attendance at the track.

GRAQ

DIEHARD
28-09-07, 04:52 PM
$1.2m NSW PRIZEMONEY CUT

GREYHOUND Racing NSW (GRNSW) today announced a $1.2 million

prizemoney reduction to start on October 1 as the direct financial losses suffered by the NSW industry due to the Equine Influenza crisis.

GRNSW Chief Executive Brent Hogan said the NSW industry had already withstood revenue losses in excess of $700,000 since EI hit.

?Greyhounds are the only racing code with the need to cut prizemoney as neither of the others have race meetings to fund. This

drastic action will affect every greyhound racing club in the state?.
There will be a 25% cut to prizemoney across the board and at present this will be effective from October 1 to January 31. The time and amount of the cuts could be amended at any stage depending on changes in the EI situation.
?The most recent financial analysis conducted suggests the impact on TAB distribution revenue received by the industry will mean losses of between $1.5 million and $2 million. However the situation is fluid and it is quiet possible the impact will extend above $2 million particularly given the latest developments at Warwick Farm and in Brisbane.

?We have dealt with the impact to date by relying on our cash reserves with the Board resolving to absorb the first $1 million worth of losses. Further losses above this simply cannot be absorbed and the Board has been left with no choice but to act now and implement prizemoney cuts from October 1?.

Hogan said GRNSW was extremely disappointed with the response of the NSW State Government to the greyhound industry?s plight.

GRNSW wrote to both Premier Morris Iemma and Treasurer Michael Costa on September 6 informing them of the situation and to date had not even received recognition of correspondence.

He has also written to and met with NSW Minister for Gaming and Racing Graham West and ?despite our pleas he has yet to agree to any financial assistance to the greyhound industry to avoid any prizemoney cuts?.

GRNSW

DIEHARD
28-09-07, 05:40 PM
Trainer deliberately spreads virus

A BRISBANE racehorse trainer's admission he intentionally spread equine influenza (EI) in his Hendra stable has been met with both anger and support from rival trainers.

Speaking on Brisbane Radio TAB today, trainer Robbie Heathcote confirmed a local newspaper report which said he visited another stable and wiped the noses of infected horses with a towel before returning to his stable to wipe his own horses.

Heathcote, who has 28 horses in his stable, said he infected his team following uncertainty over whether authorities planned to vaccinate horses in Brisbane's red zone where an outbreak of horse flu has shut down racing at Eagle Farm and Doomben until February.

Vaccination against EI is expected to commence tomorrow in the non-affected areas of the Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast.

?Hendra is in a dirty area and I was told we weren't going to be vaccinated,'' Heathcote said today.

?The reality is every horse will get it eventually but the horses still have to remain in quarantine for 30 days after the last horse gets it.''

Animal welfare groups and Queensland Racing Limited stewards were unlikely to take action against Heathcote, with some rival trainers supporting the deliberate spread of the disease while others were furious he had taken matters into his own hands.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said expert opinion was too divided on the horse flu issue for his body to take action.

?Expert opinion is divided right across the board about what is the right thing to do so we wouldn't be looking at taking an action as part of any welfare issue,'' Beatty said.

?Different experts have different opinions and at the moment we're following DPI (Department of Primary Industries) policy on how to treat this disease.''

Leading trainer Barry Baldwin, who is a neighbour of Heathcote, was noncommittal as was Liam Birchley while Lawrie Mayfield-Smith and Brian Wakefield expressed anger and disgust.

Heathcote's actions were supported by Kelly Schweida, who has witnessed the spread of the disease from one horse in his stable on Tuesday to 24 horses today.

Wakefield was scathing in his attack on Heathcote, claiming the law had been broken.

?They fined (apprentice) Ric McMahon $5,000 for disobeying a stewards' direction for breaking protocols and Rob, who is a friend of mine, has done this,'' Wakefield said.

?He's deliberately infected his horses when we've been instructed to try and keep the disease out of our stables.

?The direction from stewards and the DPI has been to keep non-essential people out of our stables and to follow biosecurity measures.

?There's still a chance we could all be inoculated next week and this doesn't make sense to me.

?Rob has now made the decision for all of us and I don't think he understands the full consequences of what he's done.

?A lot of people are already dirty on the racing industry and we're trying to get more money out of the governments so it doesn't send out a good message.''

Mayfield-Smith, who has 15 horses but only one suffering symptoms of EI, said he would never have infected his horses deliberately.

?As a horse lover I couldn't infect my team but what he (Heathcote) has done is probably right in a lot of ways for the industry,'' he said.
?I wouldn't do it. I love my horses too much to see them lean up against a wall and watch them get sick.

?I'd rather hold out and hope we can get them vaccinated. As a father I'd never deliberately give my child the flu.''

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
29-09-07, 04:42 PM
Horse flu spreads to harness horses

NEW South Wales harness racing authorities have launched an investigation into how equine influenza (EI) spread to the Bankstown standardbred population after it was confirmed today that eight horses returned positive tests to the virus.

Harness Racing NSW chief executive Max Pool confirmed that an investigation was underway and said authorities were looking into reports that a Bankstown trainer visited a veterinary clinic at Randwick last Thursday before returning to his stable that night.

?The stewards' investigation is underway,? Pool said.

?As part of managing EI, you have got to find out where it came from so that you can lock things down and stop it spreading.

?There are various sources as to how it could have got there including the trainer who had transported a horse to a veterinary clinic in Randwick, but at this stage all of that is unconfirmed but it will be investigated.

?We won't be in a position to know more about where it came from until early next week.?

Adding to the disappointment of the positive test results was the fact the Bankstown horses were scheduled to be vaccinated today.

?There were eight samples taken and all eight have come back positive,? Pool said.

?There are a lot of very disappointed and dejected people in Bankstown at this time.

?It changes our vaccination strategy, we were supposed to have Bankstown horses vaccinated today but Menangle will now take priority because EI will just go straight through Bankstown now.

?We weren't holding out any hope given the number of horses that were showing elevated temperatures yesterday.?

Last night's five-race meeting at Bankstown was abandoned following reports of up to 10 horses showing signs of EI yesterday morning.

More than 140 trotters and pacers are trained at Bankstown and the harness racing industry was relying on them to eventually get the sport back up and running at Sydney's Harold Park circuit in Glebe.

?Harness racing is all at the Riverina now, we've got Wagga tonight but you will not get anything in the metropolitan area until December at the earliest,? Pool said.

The six-race harness program at Wagga tonight is proceeding because that area of NSW is in a green zone with no confirmed cases of EI.

http://www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
01-10-07, 06:37 AM
Don't be surprised if QLD greyhound prizemoney is greatly reduced in the coming weeks...

travop
01-10-07, 09:02 AM
man this is destructive
there hasn't been much media coverage on the impact on the equestrian industry, they too have livelihoods that involve horse

DIEHARD
01-10-07, 07:13 PM
man this is destructive
there hasn't been much media coverage on the impact on the equestrian industry, they too have livelihoods that involve horse

Yep absolutely. They are hurting just like the rest of us, but don't get the coverage.

The Outback Spectacular continues though.

DIEHARD
02-10-07, 09:04 PM
Iemma Government Relief and Recovery Package for Racing Industry

The Iemma Government will provide an additional $7.5 million in direct assistance to the stricken NSW racing industry to help it recover from the effects of the devastating Equine Influenza outbreak, Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald and Gaming and Racing Minister Graham West said today.

Minister Macdonald said the Relief and Recovery Package would come on top of the estimated $8.3 million the Iemma Government would spend on containing and eradicating horse flu.

?The State Government is coming to the aid of the racing and equestrian industries as investigations into how the exotic disease slipped through Federal quarantine continued,? he said.

Minister West said the package demonstrates further support for the recovery of horse racing industry.

Key details of the Assistance Package are:

? $3.5 million in New Industry Assistance to ensure the ongoing viability of the Thoroughbred and Harness Racing industries. The fund will be allocated following submissions from Racing NSW ($2.5 million) and Harness Racing NSW ($1million)
? $1.2 million in grants of up to $2000 per household for eligible workers in the racing industry such as stable hands, strappers and others.
? $2 million in unclaimed Keno prize money to be used to establish a Capital Grants Program to help regional and rural race clubs across all three codes.
? $500,000 to the Greyhound Racing Industry in recognition of its carrying the bulk of racing during the crisis.
? $300,000 to the NSW Equestrian industry to help stage a series of major events.

Minister Macdonald said the new package was on top of the $525,000 Horse Industry Promotion and the special mortgage assistance program ($12,000 per loan) already announced by the Government.

?This assistance package will help alleviate some of the damage caused by the horse flu outbreak while also investing in the long term future of racing in NSW,? Minister Macdonald said.

?The Iemma Government has worked hard with the industry to put together a package which helps those most affected by the horse flu outbreak through no fault of their own.?
Minister West said the package will provide for industry assistance and maintaining employment in areas not currently covered by the Federal Government package.

?This package will ensure ongoing employment by helping all those who depend on the industry for their livelihoods ? for example stable hands and strappers.?

Mr West said the $1.2 million in grants would further assist families most affected by this crisis.

?This is a one-off payment for those that are doing it tough,? he said.

?The Government will provide a one-off payment per household of up to $2000 for people who are directly dependent on the racing industry ? for example a track work rider or strapper ? and who have insufficient income or cash reserves to get them through this crisis. It will be administered through the Department of Community Services.

?I have also approved the release of $2 million in unclaimed Keno prize money for capital works to help all three racing codes in regional and rural areas.

?The EI crisis has had a terrible impact on many of these clubs and grants of up to $100,000 will now be made available for new capital works projects ? improved amenities will hopefully see a bigger turn out for race meets in the bush.?

Minister Macdonald said that while horse owners from Moonbi and near Parkes were being allowed to return to homes in the red and purple zones of NSW today the crisis was far from over.

?I think it?s important to note that while we have worked to contain this disease the Government has also spent about a million a week on stopping the spread of EI,? said Minister Macdonald.

?We have more than 28,000 horses infected on more than 3,100 properties in NSW,? he said.

?Over the Long Weekend we saw the Government initiate the first round in its vaccination program, with another 130,000 shots to arrive in Australia in a week?s time.

?While the State Government works to contain this disease, the Federal Government should be focusing on just how it let the disease get into NSW for the first time.

?I also note the Federal Government Assistance Package will run out on November 16 ? I would urge the Howard Government to extend its assistance as a matter of urgency.?

Media Contacts: Minister Macdonald - Jason Bartlett 0438 209 281 / Brett Fifield 0427 029 511; Minister West - Michelle Schofield 0434 565 094

DIEHARD
02-10-07, 09:39 PM
Qld horse flu rally

The Queensland horse breeder whose mare died from equine influenza is organising a public rally west of Brisbane against the Queensland's Government's handling of the crisis.

Penny Toft, a breeder and exporter of Arab performance horses, had to have her pregnant mare euthanased last night due to complications resulting from EI.

The mare valued between $50 000 and $75 000 was just a week away from delivering her foal, which also died.

Ms Toft is critical of the Department of Primary Industries handling of the outbreak, saying it hadn't warned horse owners how severe the virus could be and hadn't done enough to help.

New South Wales has also had one death attributed to equine influenza, with an elderly racehorse put down last month, near Tamworth in the state's north-west.

This comes as horse owners are given the all clear to leave a south-east Queensland equestrian centre that has been in lock down for more than a month.

The horses will be moved under strict conditions and the entire operation is expected to take several days while vehicles, equipment and people are decontaminated.

SKYNEWS

stormside
03-10-07, 08:05 AM
Total lockdown and movement of horses....humans having to take extreme measures after contact with horses.....How could she not have known it was dangerous to horse health.

DIEHARD
03-10-07, 08:17 AM
Overseas horses competing in this year Melbourne Cup have begun to be flown into Australia.

I hope the Spring Racing carnival gets off without a hitch!

DIEHARD
15-10-07, 10:28 PM
Racing NSW to call for national vaccination

THE board of Racing NSW will call for an ongoing national policy on vaccination against horse flu, which has ravaged racing in the state this spring.

Today's board meeting also determined that next year's Golden Slipper showpiece event would be held on April 19, five weeks after its original date, with the Doncaster Handicap and AJC Australian Derby moved to April 26.

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'landys said it was imperative the industry put a vaccination policy in place to ensure such a crisis did not happen again.

"The board will approach other jurisdictions on an ongoing vaccination program,'' V'Landys said.

"We should take no risks of this happening again and will make the necessary communications to the Australian Racing Board to establish a policy on vaccination.''

NSW and Queensland have been hit hard by equine influenza (EI), which was first detected in Australia in late August.

The Sydney spring carnival was abandoned after EI spread to Randwick Racecourse where more than 700 horses are trained.

The virus has since closed Warwick Farm and Rosehill and the major provincial centre of Newcastle to the north.

Those horses not affected were vaccinated two weeks ago with booster shots currently being rolled out.

But while the spread of the disease appears to have slowed, it is still reaching other parts of the state with horse owners in parts of south-western NSW on alert after more positive tests in the Riverina region.

Two horses at Gidginbung, near Temora, today were confirmed to have the virus.

The results follow confirmation last week that EI had spread to Barmedman, around 20km from Gidginbung, in what was previously an EI-free green zone.

The NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) responded to the positive tests by changing the Cootamundra and Junee local government areas from green to amber zones.

"NSW DPI tracing and surveillance teams are now working to identify how the disease found its way to the property,'' NSW deputy chief veterinary officer Steve Dunn said.

"The next closest infection point was at Barmedman, where a buffer zone has been established, and all horses in the zone have been vaccinated.''

While the continuing spread of the disease is a concern, the Racing NSW board is looking forward to a possible resumption of metropolitan racing in December.

"We are developing a strategy for a return to racing and that should be out in the next week or so,'' V'Landys said.

New Zealand is now the only country in the world with a large commercial horse population not to have experienced EI.

All other countries inoculate commercial horses against the disease.

An inquiry into how the virus infiltrated Australia will resume in Sydney next month, with estimates of losses already in the tens of millions of dollars.

The first case was detected in a stallion awaiting release from Sydney's Eastern Creek quarantine centre after it had travelled from the northern hemisphere.

travop
16-10-07, 07:11 AM
how would you feel if you where the person that didnt wash after coming out of that quarentine center. you would feel like a bloody idiot

DIEHARD
16-10-07, 08:00 AM
how would you feel if you where the person that didnt wash after coming out of that quarentine center. you would feel like a bloody idiot

People just don't care, I've seen dozens of people flaunt DPI regulations...

hugebrianfan
16-10-07, 05:24 PM
its a shame about the horse flu..a lot of roads are getting treated for it

DIEHARD
17-10-07, 11:55 PM
EQUINE VIRUS FORCES GREYHOUND PRIZEMONEY CUTS

THE Queensland Government will make an ex gratia payment of $250,000 to the state?s greyhound racing industry to assist with the losses it has incurred as a result of the Equine Influenza Virus.

?We sincerely thank the Treasurer, Andrew Fraser, the Minister responsible for Racing, for considering our urgent request for financial assistance and the understanding he and his staff have displayed,? Board Chair Phil Bennett said today.

?The $250,000 will go some way to cover the losses of around $400,000 that the GRA and the race clubs have incurred since the EI outbreak commenced on 25 August 2007? Bennett said.

The losses have occurred as a result of the downturn in turnover on UNiTAB and the requirement of the greyhound industry to continue to pay prizemoney and racing costs. Since the EI crisis began there has been a sharp increase in the turnover on greyhound racing such that in the month of September greyhound racing provided more than $1million additional income to the Queensland racing industry than it received back in distributions.

This situation is expected to continue until the end of November, at least.
The industry has also staged additional race meetings to bolster the declining turnover on the nations TAB?s.

GRA revenue comes from a fixed return from all race product turnover, not just greyhound racing, and so any fall in turnover due to the EI crisis directly impacts on the income of the Queensland Greyhound industry.

The GRA suffers the additional impact of being required to pay prizemoney which the other codes do not do while horse racing is suspended.

The assistance only partially covers the losses incurred to this time and it is anticipated there will be further losses incurred until the EI virus is eradicated and thoroughbred and harness racing are back to normal.

The downturn in income is expected to continue into the 2008 calendar year.
The GRA sought the assistance of Queensland Race Product Co Limited (Product Co) at its meeting on October 15 so the industry can continue to produce race product and feed funds into the racing industry.

The other two racing codes have either considerably reduced their prizemoney costs or are not incurring such costs, which are the single biggest cost items for racing control bodies.

They would be in a position to support the greyhound industry but have declined to do so.

The GRA will implement the following reductions in prizemoney and other benefits to participants across the State to protect our financial position.
These reductions are effective October 22:

? The abolition of unplaced prizemoney (5th?8th) at TAB meetings.
? Halving prizemoney for Young Guns Series finals at all tracks.
? Ceasing payment of QDog Incentives and bonuses. (QDog finals scheduled for the following week, bonuses will be paid if applicable)
? Downsizing of 2007 Greyhound of the Year function.
? In addition, there will be a decrease in allocation of $210,000 to the Brisbane Club for the 2007/08 financial year.

These matters have been discussed with representatives of the four SEQ clubs and the QGBOTA.

The GRA has repositioned some race meetings to maximise turnover and will continue to examine the above measures and other ways to mitigate the losses.

There will be no additional TAB meetings scheduled.

The GRA hoped it would not have to make these reductions to participants but feels it cannot continue to absorb losses as it is uncertain how long the EI crisis will continue and where it will strike.

These reductions will remain in place at this stage until 30 June 2008.

GRAQ

DIEHARD
17-10-07, 11:56 PM
BRISBANE GREYHOUND CLUB IRATE
THE Brisbane Greyhound Club today harshly criticised the dramatic cuts to its funding due to the downturn in UNITAB Distribution as a result of the Equine Influenza crisis.
The Club is hardest hit by the cuts announced by the GRA today.

General Manager, Luke Gatehouse said: ?We believe the actions taken by the GRA today have spared the massive cuts to prizemoney that the NSW greyhound industry has suffered, by spreading the reductions over the remainder of the financial year.

?The Club, Queensland?s principal greyhound racing club, is most affected by the reductions in distribution.

?While the changes announced by the GRA will impact on all greyhound racing clubs in Queensland, the Brisbane Club will carry an additional $210,000 in allocation reduction from the GRA.?

The Club criticised Queensland Race Product Co Limited, the organisation responsible for distributing funds to the three racing codes.

The greyhound industry has operated at full capacity during the Equine Influenza crisis, and has been paying prizemoney to participants throughout the crisis, while the two horse codes have been operating at minimal or no output, and hence their prize money commitments have been lessened.

?Queensland Race Product Co Limited could have easily mitigated the effect on the greyhound industry?s distribution, by quarantining the greyhound industry?s anticipated allocation and then distributing the remainder to the horse racing and harness racing industries,? Gatehouse said.

?It?s not as though the 9.5% distribution share that the greyhound industry receives is going to break the bank of Product Co., when you consider that horse racing receives 76% and harness racing 14.5% of the distribution.

?A decision to quarantine the greyhound industry?s funding would not only be just and equitable, it would show that Product Co is equally committed to all three codes of racing in Queensland,? Gatehouse said.

In outlining how the $210,000 budget reduction will impact on the Brisbane Club and greyhound racing participants at Queensland?s premier track, Gatehouse ruled out immediate reductions in prizemoney.

?We will not take the lowest common denominator of cost saving by immediately reducing prizemoney,? he said.

?That would be a huge slap in the face to industry participants who continue to put on the racing product for the benefit of UNITAB turnover, and who continue to face the rising costs of owning, training and breeding greyhounds.

?We are an asset-rich Club and will look to how we can utilise our asset base to ride out the storm during the Equine Influenza crisis. Our Business Plan is focussed on growing our business, and a cost reduction strategy does not fit within the Plan.

?The Club realigned our business during 2006/07 through reduction of unnecessary costs and focussing our resources on our core business of racing, and growing greyhound racing in Brisbane as an entertainment product.

?To devalue our product through prizemoney reductions for our City race meetings is not consistent with our Business Plan.

?Our business is growing at present through increased sponsorship and function income and significant increases in our on-course tote turnover. The actions we take as a result of the reduction in our allocation will not impact on growing these income sources either.?

The Club welcomes the Queensland Governments contribution of $250,000 to the greyhound racing industry, but will continue to lobby government for an increase in this contribution.

GRAQ

DIEHARD
21-10-07, 02:49 AM
Workers sue over horse flu outbreak

THOUSANDS of horse industry workers will be included in a planned class action suing the Federal Government for hundreds of millions of dollars in losses because of the horse flu outbreak.

Lawyers representing several horse associations said they were building a case against the Federal Government's Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service based on alleged negligence for failing to prevent the outbreak.

A law firm planning a class action, Clinch Neville Long Letherbarrow, is collecting details of financial losses from a range of people in the horse industry.

"They include vets, saddlers, riding schools, instructors, farriers, equestrian associations, suppliers and breeders," said a partner in the firm, Matthew Hourn.

"Tens of thousands of people lost their income.

"About 90 per cent of the several thousand people joining the plan for a class action are from outside the racing industry."

Mr Hourn said a class action against the Federal Government could begin in April, when retired High Court judge Ian Callinan is due to hand down his report into how equine influenza allegedly broke out from the Eastern Creek quarantine station.

But Mr Hourn warned if there were delays to the Callinan inquiry they might not wait for it to end before launching court action.

"The damages are astronomical," Mr Hourn said. "It's likely to add up to hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation."

Saddler Steve Fuller said his income had dropped 90 to 95 per cent since horse flu broke out. "I'll join a class action as it seems the only way to get some of the money back," he said.

Equestrian Federation chief executive Franz Venhaus hoped the Government would provide more assistance to the dressage and eventing sector before a class action became necessary.

"The Government has only looked after the racing industry because they have influence and the gambling revenue," he said.

The number of infected horses stands at 46,000, a jump of 10,000 in just one week.

fwalker@sunherald.com.au

http://www.smh.com.au/

DIEHARD
28-10-07, 06:18 PM
Tabcorp hit hard by horse flu

The head of betting firm Tabcorp Holdings Ltd says horse flu has carved a $240 million chunk out of its turnover so far and that the amount will be double when the problem ends.

The chief executive of the online gaming and racing group, Elmer Funke Kupper, said the overall cost to pre-tax profit would be $30 million when equine influenza had run its course.

"We are down $240 million in turnover compared to last year, and when you translate that into profits by the end of horse flu, when it's back to normal, it's about half a billion in turnover, which translates into about $30 million before tax," Mr Funke Kupper told ABC television.

However, he said despite this, the Australian gambling and entertainment group was unlikely to sue for damages any time soon.

Mr Funke Kupper said any legal action would be investigated when the opportunity arose.

"We're not thinking about that right now," he said.

"Our focus is one hundred per cent on keeping the show going, which is in the interest of our shareholders and the industry."

Tabcorp is grappling with the losses caused by equine influenza just nine days before Melbourne Cup day swings into action on November 6, the largest day in Australia's racing calendar, which was initially threatened to be cancelled due to the virus.

The virus plagued race tracks in Queensland and NSW from August onwards, with Sydney's Randwick Racecourse placed under quarantine.

Investors knocked $335.95 million from the market value of Tabcorp after the NSW government said the discovery would spell the death knell for this year's Sydney Spring Racing Carnival.

Then, managing director of Tabcorp's wagering division, Robert Nason, said the cancellation of the Sydney Spring Carnival would have a severe effect on the industry.

However, authorities have now given the all clear for racing to resume in Sydney on December 1.

Mr Funke Kupper said there were some positives to come out of the equine influenza outbreak.

The racing industry was in need of reform because it was underperforming.

"It's the underperforming racing industry in Australia.

"One of the good things about equine influenza is that I think everybody right from the premier down to the clubs realises the importance of this industry for the state and the national economy," he said.

"So some of the reforms that might have taken four or five years in the political environment might now only take one or two years."

In casinos, Mr Funke Kupper said the company had under invested by "quite a material amount", despite being run extremely profitability.

"Half our casino business is Star City in Sydney and once we have the licence discussion with the government out of the way, assuming we get the right outcome, we'll invest $300 million in Star City to make that iconic property within Sydney."

As well as having wagering and poker machine operations, Tabcorp operates four hotel and casino complexes: Sydney's Star City Casino, Conrad Jupiters on the Gold Coast, Conrad Treasury in Brisbane and Jupiters Townsville.

For the 2006-07 year, Tabcorp booked a net profit of $450.4 million, down 17 per cent on the previous year as expenses soared, the company lost to high-rollers and smoking bans continued to deter other gamblers.