PDA

View Full Version : Jake Webster released from Titans, signs with Hull KR

lonegull
29-08-07, 12:16 PM
just caught the end of a news story where the titans have released Jake Webster to go to England

Throb
29-08-07, 12:17 PM
Wednesday 29 Aug 2007 09:15
by (Press Release)
Source: www.titans.com.au

New Zealand International Jake Webster will be released from his playing contract by the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans at the close of the 2007 NRL season.

Webster who represented New Zealand this year will continue his career in the UK Super League.

Managing Director Michael Searle said, "Jake had personally approached us on Monday of this week about a possible release to pursue an opportunity to play in the centres for a UK Super League team. Jake has always expressed a desire to play in the centres and this combined with a substantial increase in his playing fee made this an opportunity that he felt he could not pass up. With this in mind we have agreed to mutually terminate his agreement at season's end.

"Jake formed part of an historic and very important group of originals at the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and we wish him all the best."

With competition for outside back positions at the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans set to increase in 2008 following the signing of exciting flyers Brenton Bowen and Ben Jefferies, Coach John Cartwright says he understands Webster's decision.

Cartwright said, "He has received a huge offer and to be fair we tried to put ourselves in the same position as Jake and the reality is that there are no guarantees for starting positions at the club looking ahead to 2008."

Titanium_BD1103
29-08-07, 12:26 PM
It's a shame to hear, but TBH, he hasn't been at his best for the Titans in 2007 and I wish him all the best with his career in Super League... he has decided he has more opportunities there and I guess if a player doesn't want to give his all to the club, you may as well let them go... if they go the right way about things, which is exactly what Jake did... :)

WE WILL MISS YOU JAKE, THANKS FOR THE SERVICE TO THE CLUB AND ALL THE BEST IN ENGLAND... :clap:

Steve
29-08-07, 12:28 PM
I wish him all the luck.
He probably hasn't lived up to his full potential with us, so hopefully he can hit his straps in the centres over in the UK.

Kelvinator
29-08-07, 01:01 PM
his profile will probably still be on the titans website in 5 years time. but i suppose thats a post for the website whinge thread isn't it? i don't think he will be missed all that much and his boots won't be too hard to fill. hopefully the money which is made free could be used to buy another quality centre. Personally i think it's a bit silly to tie up a lot of money with wingers, i mean there was Webster, Bowen, Walker, Petersen, Jefferies and then you had guys like nat barnes and shannon walker who could probably cover the wing position if needed. What is the word on Jefferies, will he be taking dellany's spot in the centres or playing for a wing spot?

travop
29-08-07, 01:11 PM
hope he dose well even though i think hes a bit of a .....so and so for leaveing oz to go to the big bucks in the uk

Darren Lockyer
29-08-07, 01:23 PM
Will miss him but it will free a lot of money up in the cap.

Massive_Weno
29-08-07, 01:53 PM
Bit of a shame to see Jake leave. Been a big fan of his over the last 3-4 years and was ecstatic to see him move back to QLD.

The money factor must have been a really big motive though seeing as he moved back this way to be closer to his family.....

PROMETHEUS
29-08-07, 07:44 PM
Agree,seems strange he moved back to S.E Qld to be near his family and now decides to go to england?

Must say he didnt seem as dominant in games as in previous years,might have been something happening off field.

Anyway,enjoy the weather in england :rolf:

patskE
29-08-07, 09:05 PM
bet he go well casue he be playing in the centers
he never got a shot
played 1 game there then forced to wing due to injury's

big loss i rkn

Coaster
29-08-07, 09:09 PM
Good Luck Jake Webster

Hope you do well with what you have chosen!!

Good Player, and i hope his oppertunity arrises where he wants to play

TITAN FOREVER
30-08-07, 10:13 AM
Good Luck, Jake. As mention never did get much of a chance to play your best. Salary Cap issues again come into it. Injuries caused problems this year and I'm affaid that''s part of the game.

I would have liked to have seen the original team members play this week-end just to see how they would of gone. But not to be.

Anyhow Best Wishes Jake :)

Super Cronk
30-08-07, 10:44 AM
According to the SMH they reckon the deal could be worth upto $900,000 for the three years. big fan of Webby but he isnt worth anywhere near that.

Panthers Wolf
30-08-07, 11:23 AM
Good luck in the UK Jake! Wishing you al the best and an injury free contract. Thanks for your contribution to Aussie NRL and Titans debut year.

PW

mb63
30-08-07, 11:27 AM
In seeing Webster come through ther ranks at the Storm I thought he would make a massive impact with the Titans but I believe overall he has been disappointing.

Titanium_BD1103
30-08-07, 07:29 PM
Well as the Hull fan said earlier in the thread... Jake is headed to Hull KR... :)

From:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_2694987,00.html

Robins swoop for Webster
By Rob Lancaster
Last updated: 30th August 2007

Hull KR have announced that they are the Super League club who will be signing Gold Coast Titans star Jake Webster.

It emerged on Wednesday that the New Zealand international was leaving the NRL outfit at the end of the current campaign.

Although he has two years left on his contract, the 23-year-old managed to secure an early release from the Titans so he can move to England.

His new home will be Craven Park after he agreed to a three-year deal with the Robins.

"I'm delighted we have a player of Jake Webster's status and international class joining us next year," Rovers coach Justin Morgan told the Hull Daily Mail.

"He will be the most high profile signing we'll make this summer. This is a huge signing.

"He will be in the top bracket of centres next season and will have the same impact on the team as Michael Vella did this season.

"We all know centres and outside backs are a rare commodity and to have one of his quality is a major boost. This is a huge feather in the club's cap and signals our intent for next season."

The signing of Webster, who has won seven caps for his country, is a major boost for Rovers as they plan ahead for the future.

They can make certain of their top-flight status for next year if they triumph in the Hull derby and bottom club Salford fail to beat Wigan.

TITAN PETE
30-08-07, 09:05 PM
Thanks for coming Jake & good luck playing in England it's a shame your leaving before you got your NRL Premiership Ring :duh: .

Chaos
01-09-07, 02:37 PM
his profile will probably still be on the titans website in 5 years time. but i suppose thats a post for the website whinge thread isn't it? i don't think he will be missed all that much and his boots won't be too hard to fill. hopefully the money which is made free could be used to buy another quality centre. Personally i think it's a bit silly to tie up a lot of money with wingers, i mean there was Webster, Bowen, Walker, Petersen, Jefferies and then you had guys like nat barnes and shannon walker who could probably cover the wing position if needed. What is the word on Jefferies, will he be taking dellany's spot in the centres or playing for a wing spot?

I have the same sentiments as Patske...I think it was a mistake to have Webster on the Wing, I never saw him as a winger and was supprised Delaney got a shot in the centres in front of him.

Kelvinator,
I haven't seen Jefferies play but I keen to try a new centre in front of Delaney. I don't care what position we signed him as...he's not a centre!