PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle lose another legend

jenny
28-08-07, 08:58 AM
Newcastle lose another legend
By Josh Massoud

IT appeared harmless enough - a bunch of old mates catching up at the pub for a beer and a feed.

But for embattled Newcastle coach Brian Smith, last night's gathering of the club's richest benefactors could turn deadly serious.

Led by golfing great Jack Newton and millionaire media mogul John Singleton, the influential lobby group - known as the White Knights - held a 90-minute crisis meeting at Newcastle wharf's Brewery Hotel to discuss their future involvement in the club.

Other attendees included former Knights forward leaders Luke Davico and Craig Smith.

Over old-fashioned pub grub and a schooner or three, around 25 members expressed their concerns over Smith's wholesale player clean-out that has seen a host of local stars released.

For one, Singleton, the group's patron, is seething after being forced to scrap a beer advertising campaign worth $2 million that featured sacked Knights players.

Travelling from his Strawberry Hills estate on the lower Central Coast, the all-powerful advertising guru arrived in tandem with Newton shortly before 7pm.

The meeting began with Newton, whose son Clint quit Newcastle in acrimonious circumstances three months ago, resigning as White Knights chairman.

"With all that has gone on with Clint, I couldn't continue - it was a conflict of interest," Newton said. The top post was assumed by co-ordinator Dick MacLean, who helped found the group when Newcastle were on the brink of financial ruin two seasons ago. Since that time, its 44 financial members have helped the club attract precious sponsorship dollars as well as provide opportunities for young footballers off the field.

But, thanks to the ongoing debacle surrounding Kirk Reynoldson's non-selection and disharmony among the established leaders, that commitment is now in jeopardy.

At last night's meeting, several members discussed ways of pressuring the current board into releasing Smith from the final two years of his contract.

It is understood that some members of the group feel it would be worth their while to contribute to Smith's six-figure pay-out.

"When the Knights are going well, the town is going well - and that's a good thing for business," one said.

But with Newcastle now headed for a second wooden spoon in three years and home crowds at an all-time low, their collective bottom lines are not looking up.

Interestingly, recently-appointed Newcastle CEO Steve Burraston is also a paid-up White Knight.

It was not expected that he would attend last night's meeting.

Instead, MacLean will relay the group's concerns to Burraston and his board - which includes club great Paul Harragon - this week.
Telegraph

Kelvinator
28-08-07, 09:06 AM
can anyone post the gains and losses for newcastle next year, because from the lists that i have seen, the players they have bought are nowhere near as good as the players they have bought.

Capital_Shark
28-08-07, 02:37 PM
Maybe Smith thinks this mob aren't good enough without Joey there anymore. Either way everyone should just neck up and let the coach run the footy team.

Social Loafer
28-08-07, 04:17 PM
can anyone post the gains and losses for newcastle next year, because from the lists that i have seen, the players they have bought are nowhere near as good as the players they have bought.

OUT

Adam Woolnough
Brad Tighe
Kade Snowden
Josh Perry
George Carmont
Reegan Tanner
Clint Newton
Kirk Reynoldson
Daniel Abraham

IN
Cooper Vuna - Warriors - Midseason
Luke MacDougall - Dragons - Midseason
Zeb Taia - Eels - Midseason
Karl Johnson - Cowboys - Midseason
Ben Cross - Storm
Danny Wicks - Dragons
Wes Naiqama - Dragons
Kevin Naiqama - Dragons
Chris Houston - Dragons
Keith Lulia - Dragons
Matt Hilder - Titans
Karl Johnson - Cowboys
Sione Tovo - Rabbitohs
-------------------------------------------------------

I actually think he has done well to cut some deadwood... Also think he has made some good signings, overall the squad is better next year. (Johns was going to retire anyway)

Kelvinator
28-08-07, 04:22 PM
we'll have to agree to disagree, because the only quality i can see in the new signings is wes, and even he has his fair share of drama off the field.

woolnough, reynoldson, newton are all decent forwards, the forwards they have bought for next year are definetley not better then the ones they let go IMO. houston and ben cross are alright, but only on par with the ones they let go.

Social Loafer
28-08-07, 04:27 PM
we'll have to agree to disagree, because the only quality i can see in the new signings is wes, and even he has his fair share of drama off the field.

woolnough, reynoldson, newton are all decent forwards, the forwards they have bought for next year are definetley not better then the ones they let go IMO. houston and ben cross are alright, but only on par with the ones they let go.

Cross is a starting front rower for the best team in the Comp. He has improved incredibly since leaving Canberra.

Out of Woolnough, Reynoldson and Newton. I'd only be wanting to sign Newton if I was CEO.. Woolnough is a solid player, as for Reynoldson. IMO he is only really considered a big name because he developed a cult like status with that beard..

End of the day I believe there has been a vicious media campaign against Brian Smith without people considering all the facts...

Super Cronk
28-08-07, 04:31 PM
Cross is a starting front rower for the best team in the Comp. He has improved incredibly since leaving Canberra.

Out of Woolnough, Reynoldson and Newton. I'd only be wanting to sign Newton if I was CEO.. Woolnough is a solid player, as for Reynoldson. IMO he is only really considered a big name because he developed a cult like status with that beard..

End of the day I believe there has been a vicious media campaign against Brian Smith without people considering all the facts...

I agree about Cross, he is an awesome buy for the Knights i am spewing he has left the storm. :mad: :mad:

Newton has been a great buy for us, woolnough aint bad and i think Reyno is a good player, at the Storm he did alot of good for us but since then hasnt been all that great.