PDA

View Full Version : Rugby code war over juniors

DIEHARD
25-08-07, 10:42 AM
THE two rugby codes on the verge of another war

THE two rugby codes could be on the verge of another war as National Rugby League clubs circle what many scouts believe is the best batch of schoolboy rugby union players to emerge in the past decade.

A day after Manly announced it had agreed to terms with New South Wales Waratahs academy member Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 18, The Australian can reveal a number of schoolboys are being closely monitored by NRL clubs.
One of them, Nudgee College outside back Joseph Tomane, is already contracted to Melbourne.

Several, including fellow backs Cameron Mitchell, Afusipa Taumoepeau and Robert Horne, are regarded as "can't miss" prospects by league scouts.

With rugby league clubs moving to bolster their ranks for the start of next year's national under-20s competition, the battle between the codes over the most talented teenagers is set to intensify in coming months.

"It's the best batch of outside backs I have seen in 10 years," said Melbourne recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan, the man who discovered Storm stars Israel Folau and Greg Inglis.

"There's half a dozen who can't miss."

O'Sullivan believes the player movement could go in both directions. Folau is among those likely to attract interest from the Australian Rugby Union when he comes off contract at the end of next season.

"It could be full-scale (war) both ways," O'Sullivan said.

"I'm petrified they're going to come after our best kids."

The ructions are not only being felt at schoolboy level, with rumours continuing about the future of Wallabies star Lote Tuqiri and New South Wales Waratahs prodigy Kurtley Beale.

Both are contracted for next year but they continue to be linked to rugby league.

Beale's manager, Rob Horton, confirmed he had been approached by several NRL clubs including the Sydney Roosters.

Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce is a former junior teammate of Beale. And O'Sullivan is joining the Roosters in 2008.

The speculation is likely to continue as long as Beale remains unsigned beyond 2008.

"I have been approached by a number of league clubs," Horton said.
"They all said they would be interested in talking to him. I haven't instigated any discussions. They have come to us.

"He would be interested in playing league. But I think his focus would be securing a position in the Wallabies first and see what happens from there.
"There has been no approach from the ARU or New South Wales Rugby Union or any Super 14 franchise."

Only two weeks ago, ARU chief executive John O'Neill foreshadowed changes to the code's pay structure to reel in payments to the game's elite.

Just what that means for players at the lower levels remains unclear. Rugby union has long been shadowed by criticism it rewards its elite players at the expense of those below.

The vast majority of those participating in the new Australian Rugby Championship are doing so for a pittance compared to their NRL counterparts.
"They have always been susceptible because they spend so much money at the top tier," Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron said.

The start of the NRL's under-20s competition, which will be governed by a salary cap and be televised on pay-TV, presents a new challenge.

"Does a kid want to go back and play colts rugby union for a year or two, or be on a national stage and training as a semi-professional?" Waerea-Hargreaves' manager, Mike Newton, said.

"I know what most would prefer to do."

Earlier this year, the Storm warned the ARU off Tomane, and Waldron made it clear yesterday he expected the teenager to fly to Melbourne later this year to participate in training.

"It's anticipated he and his family will be down in the school holidays to spend a week training with us," Waldron said.

"He's an exciting prospect. I'm not worried about union to be honest."

The Australian

DIEHARD
25-08-07, 10:46 AM
I say bring it on. Our product is superior and the athletes know this.

I do think the NYC has more than a few flaws but the lure of playing on Pay TV in front of the world, being part of a professional club will be very seductive.

The ARC can't compete and the competition itself is draining the ARU's bank account.

I always said we need to get rugby league into those private schools, to give the students the choice of rugby code and the chance to enjoy our game, it would also snap Union's neck. But buying them works as well. :clap:

I just hope the NRL club's can cope with the costs involved with these teams, I know they have slashed their Premier League budgets to compensate, but there should be some income coming to the NRL from the NYC as well and I believe it will prove very popular with the fans.

I just hope we can push for more Queensland Cup and also get Premier League on TV as well, so we have all three major tiers of rugby league on the box.

Old Diehard
25-08-07, 03:27 PM
I
I always said we need to get rugby league into those private schools, to give the students the choice of rugby code and the chance to enjoy our game.

Rugby League in Queensland is well managed. What it does is play its juniors on a Friday Night and Sunday giving the Kids at the private schools a chance to play for their school on Saturday and their League Club on the Sunday or Friday Night!

Half of these kids at private schools are there on scholarships anyway arriving on their athletic ability that has been seen by the School first on the league field!

Kelvinator
27-08-07, 02:14 PM
who would really want to play union over league anyway, especially outside backs. most union players come from private schools where they have no option but to play union. i bet if they were given a choice, 90% would have preferred to play league growing up.

Old Diehard
27-08-07, 02:52 PM
who would really want to play union over league anyway, especially outside backs. most union players come from private schools where they have no option but to play union. i bet if they were given a choice, 90% would have preferred to play league growing up.

I bet a high percentage of kids from Private Schools play both codes as juniors now! In fact I know a stack that do. Brothers kids are half from Padua, Norths have kids from Nudgee College , stacks of St Pat's kids at Brighton Roosters etc etc(you want me to go on!) and my young fella does. When he gets older the decision is his. Union isn't a bad game for a kid to play just looks crap to watch these days. But I watched a 1986 test (Australia V All Blacks at Ballymore on ABC2 with Campese the other week- it was quick. Rushing to scrums quick ball etc. Someone ruined that game big time!

In fact I reckon a higher percentage of private school students play league than from State Schools. Because I watch sports days at the local state school and half the kids disappear! It's pathetic really and no one cares!

Kelvinator
28-08-07, 08:18 AM
i didn't know for a fact, i was just stating from personal experience. I have known a couple of promising young league players who have been sent to boarding school and had to play union because that is all that they played. You are right though, it is probably a decent game for juniors to play.