PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast will offer Walker new deal

Rage
20-08-07, 04:25 PM
Gold Coast will offer Walker new deal
Luke Turgeon

20Aug07

THE Titans are set to offer former Origin flyer Chris Walker a new deal for 2008.

Returning from a hamstring tear and playing just his fourth game for the Gold Coast, Walker has appeared to put his much-publicised troubles behind him and looked dangerous at fullback during the Titans' win over the Roosters at Carrara yesterday.

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle last night said he would put an offer on the table for Walker when the season finishes.

But with most of the Gold Coast's salary cap spent for next season, the deal is not expected to be worth a great deal.

When asked how much money was left to spend on Walker, Searle replied: "Not a lot to be fair and I think Chris knows that as well. That is going to be a telling factor for him.

"At the end of the day we will do our best.

"Chris knows how I operate and I will give him my best offer and if that is good enough for him then that is great.

"He will certainly have an opportunity here, there is no doubt about that.

"We have always said we would look after Chris at the end of the year and look at it, but we just want him to stay focused on his footy at the moment."

Searle said he was pleased with the way Walker had applied himself since returning from an in-house suspension for an alcohol-related incident earlier this year.

"Chris has been great in his comeback," said Searle. "He has been very focused, he has been playing some great footy and is doing all the little things right.

"He is playing some good footy at fullback and his courage under the high ball is great.

"We always said the important thing was for him to focus on getting back in first grade and things would look after themselves after that."

The Gold Coast Bulletin understands that Walker's management is sounding out a number of other clubs that might be interested in Walker's services should a deal with the Gold Coast fall through.

But Walker has made it clear he wants to remain on the Gold Coast.

Walker said the fact he was still without a contract for next season was not affecting the way he approached his football.

"I don't think so," he said. "When you go out to play footy, you go out there hungry every time.

"Whether we are in the semis or out of the semis you are always out there giving it 100 per cent to win."
Gold Coast Bulletin

Big J
20-08-07, 04:29 PM
I hope that there is enough left in the bank for Chris as I really think his best years are in front of him on the Coast. He looked really good yesterday even though he made a few small errors and I would dearly love to see him at the Titans for a long time to come.

eelectrica
20-08-07, 05:26 PM
Hope he signs on. With a good season next year he'll earn a bigger contract for 2009 and beyond.

PROMETHEUS
20-08-07, 10:01 PM
CMON CHRIS RE-SIGN!:clap:

I think we should pass the hat around on the site...

DIEHARD
20-08-07, 10:18 PM
I am very happy to hear this. Walker is one of my favourite players and he has played well for the Titans given his challenges put in front of him.

I thought he was impressive on the weekend and he will only get better with time and confidence. I really want to see a Chris Walker with the Titans in 2008.

Titantones
20-08-07, 10:54 PM
I am very happy to hear this. Walker is one of my favourite players and he has played well for the Titans given his challenges put in front of him.

I thought he was impressive on the weekend and he will only get better with time and confidence. I really want to see a Chris Walker with the Titans in 2008.

He had a great game on the weekend, and he has shown a lot of guts to come back from the brink and stay focused on his ultimate goal - First grade. Look forward to calling out his name next year.

"WALKERS ON" :clap:

jake86
20-08-07, 11:49 PM
He's been impressive so far. Here's hopeing he re-signs and reaches his enormous potential

meter maid
21-08-07, 04:41 PM
It would be a shame if he has to go elsewhere after what the club has done for him, but he can't be expected to play for "peanuts" either, especially with a baby on the way.
Hopefuly some cash willl be found or some sponsorship dollars to make up a fair deal.
He made a huge difference at fullback on Sunday, Id like to see him there again next year.

dee13
21-08-07, 06:25 PM
I would love for Walks to sign on next year. He has had so much bad luck this year. He deserves the real chance. I would love to see him have a stella year for us next year. Each time he has played for us this year, he has played well.

TITAN FOR LIFE
Dee

eelectrica
21-08-07, 07:29 PM
ESL is probably the Titans biggest threat to losing Walker.
The NRL contract minimum is $56k so that plus incentives could still make it worth his while to stick around.

DIEHARD
21-08-07, 08:44 PM
I don't think many NRL clubs would be interested, I think the Titans represent probably his last NRL chance.

The ESL is another question and would be a contender, although I think Chris would like to stay in Queensland, on the Coast with his family, in the familar and supportive environment that is the Titans.

Let's all cross our fingers, the fans have certainly embraced him and he is much loved by our legion of fans.

squirrell
23-08-07, 08:39 PM
Oh please let chris stay hes awesome,also if he leaves ill have to change my avatar and i dont want to! Walkers on{and staying on}

kioli
23-08-07, 10:22 PM
He's a crowd favourite, I really hope he stays with us.

DIEHARD
24-08-07, 10:51 AM
He's a crowd favourite, I really hope he stays with us.

I agree, I think he really is a crowd favourite with Titans fans.

amaline
25-08-07, 07:34 PM
I think I heard one of the announcers during this game say that Chris Walker has resigned for next year? Anyone?

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 08:24 PM
I think I heard one of the announcers during this game say that Chris Walker has resigned for next year? Anyone?
Dunno,i had the audio on the ref..cant stand Daleys commentary.

amaline
25-08-07, 08:26 PM
That's a really good idea. I'll remember that for next time :)

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 08:28 PM

Yeah, I heard that. I think it wad Lozza saying he'd just negotiated a new contract. Might have been just after Walker was coughing up his testicles. Poor bugger. Anyone see how that happened?

Coaster
25-08-07, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I heard that. I think it wad Lozza saying he'd just negotiated a new contract. Might have been just after Walker was coughing up his testicles. Poor bugger. Anyone see how that happened?

Apparently Bird was after a pair, since he has none:)

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 08:43 PM
Apparently Bird was after a pair, since he has none:)

hahaha, Birdies a champ. I love him. And if your right about him lacking a pair, it just goes to show you didn't need 'em to have a win at Shark Park tonight :)

Coaster
25-08-07, 08:48 PM
hahaha, Birdies a champ. I love him. And if your right about him lacking a pair, it just goes to show you didn't need 'em to have a win at Shark Park tonight :)

Bird reminds me of Carney AFTER 5 years Jail.

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 08:50 PM
Bird reminds me of Carney AFTER 5 years Jail.

He'd have to serve his time on the Goldie though cause thats where 17 of his b!tches are.

Coaster
25-08-07, 08:53 PM
He'd have to serve his time on the Goldie though cause thats where 17 of his b!tches are.

LOL, i hate arguing with a winner....

Didnt i say i wasnt talking to you CS?

Blah, i need a drink, WTF are you atm?

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 08:58 PM
LOL, i hate arguing with a winner....

I love arguing AS the winner. Doesn't happen often, surprised I know how to play it from this position. Lucky I'm not one of those gloating b@stards. You started this remember.

Didnt i say i wasnt talking to you CS?

You did.

Blah, i need a drink, WTF are you atm?

Its like God's nectar after a win. I'm just at home, your unlucky, would have been at the club with my Titan's supporting mate but he went to Sydney yesterday for a boxing match or something.

Coaster
25-08-07, 09:02 PM
Its like God's nectar after a win. I'm just at home, your unlucky, would have been at the club with my Titan's supporting mate but he went to Sydney yesterday for a boxing match or something.

I need to go get drunk, Who wants to go to the Titanium bar?

Titanium_BD1103
25-08-07, 10:24 PM
He still hasn't been offered a contract yet.... he told us tonight when we asked him after the game... I hope he gets one soon, as he's done enough to deserve it in the games he's played... solid and a good worker... :)

LMAO tonight, the Sharks supporters were saying Walker should go back to the bar.. to which we replied, at least our boys don't fight each other... darn bumpkins... :laugh: :laugh:... they didn't have a response TBH.

GO WALKER AND GOOD LUCK WITH A CONTRACT FOR 2008... :D :D

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:01 PM

Hows that?
Titans won the first round :clap:

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 11:04 PM
Hows that?
Titans won the first round :clap:

Both teams still going on holidays at the same time mate. And with Cronulla's financial situation, we might even be forced to risk it and take JetStar.

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:05 PM
Both teams still going on holidays at the same time mate. And with Cronulla's financial situation, we might even be forced to risk it and take JetStar.

Very similar the 2 clubs won nothing, mind you, we have only been here 24 weeks, but still the same

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:05 PM
I need to go get drunk, Who wants to go to the Titanium bar?

I do,but im in Penriff..:(

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 11:09 PM
Very similar the 2 clubs won nothing, mind you, we have only been here 24 weeks, but still the same

24 weeks - 40 years - same difference.

no its not :hissyfit"

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:11 PM

Im sure theres plenty of room in the overhead luggage compartment for Ricky Stuart..

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:13 PM

Nah,we havent had the opportunity to choke in a finals game yet.