PDA

View Full Version : Round 25: Melbourne Storm vs Gold Coast Titans

Queenslander
10-08-07, 03:19 PM
Melbourne Storm vs Gold Coast Titans
Olympic Park; Sunday 2nd September, 7:00PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx15643.jpgvshttp://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

Join the Southern Legion in Melbourne for the last game of the 2007 season!

Referee: Jarad Maxwell

Team Notes:

Storm

- Matt King returns to the starting line up in the centres, with Anthony Quinn shifting to wing

- James Aubusson and Steve Turner go onto a 5 man bench.

Titans

- Anthony Laffranchi moves from the second row to prop to replace the injured Luke Bailey. Gavin Cooper comes into the side in the second row to cover for Laffranchi, with Josh Graham added to the bench.

Teams:
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_15.gif

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Matt King
4. Israel Folau
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Greg Inglis
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Ben Cross
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Brett White
11. Clint Newton
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange:

14. Jeremy Smith
15. Steve Turner
16. Michael Crocker
17. Jeff Lima
18. James Aubusson (one to be omitted)

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Chris Walker
2. Jake Webster
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Matthew Petersen
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Anthony Laffranchi
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Daniel Conn
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Josh Graham
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Rage
27-08-07, 09:34 PM
Last game of the season
It's been a great season for the Titans and even though the finals dream is over, i'm looking forward to a great upset win!

anyone know what the odds are on this match

Casey's Angel27
27-08-07, 09:44 PM
Cant seem to find any odds for the game

I'll be there though :D

PROMETHEUS
27-08-07, 09:48 PM
Cant seem to find any odds for the game

Probably because this weeks round only finished one hour ago..:duh:

Casey's Angel27
27-08-07, 09:57 PM
Oh yeah... its only Monday.

I keep thinking its tuesday today.
Oops

PROMETHEUS
27-08-07, 10:09 PM
Is the time delay that big in Melbourne? :rolf:

Poida
27-08-07, 10:46 PM
Ill just guess Titans by 4

Casey's Angel27
27-08-07, 10:49 PM
Is the time delay that big in Melbourne? :rolf:

Clearly that was funny :rolleyes:

No today felt like tuesday to me.

Steelers
27-08-07, 11:41 PM
I'll be cheering on the Titans, but I think Melbourne will put in a blistering performance before the finals start and win by 13+

Super Cronk
28-08-07, 09:59 AM
Titans will be tough to beat, but the Storm should play like a team that has just won the minor premiership and is looking to take out the GF. I am afraid the Storm may show some complacency and ****yness, if that happens the titans just might in.

My tips: Storm by 12 or more pts.

Folau to get atleast 1 try
Cam Smith man of the match.

GCT_89
28-08-07, 10:15 AM
this is our last game of the season!

we are no longer fighting for the top 8, instead we are fighting for pride and pride alone!

the now minor premiers of 2007 are full of confidence, maybe a bit of c ockyness too! looking at a team who have no chance for the finals, melbourne might just let there gaurd down enough to let us take the cake!

i say TITANS by 4 points

<mind you, titans could be on the bottom of the ladder and id still back them against the minor premiers, or any team for the matter!>

passionately blind supporters FTW!

Cowboy Titan
28-08-07, 02:53 PM
Run on team:

1 Chris Walker,
2 Jake Webster,
3 Mat Rogers,
4 Brett Delaney,
5 Matthew Petersen,
6 Preston Campbell,
7 Scott Prince,
8 Anthony Laffranchi,
9 Nathan Friend,
10 Michael Hodgson,
11 Gavin Cooper,
12 Mark Minichiello,
13 Luke Swain.

Subs:

14 Daniel Conn,
15 Ian Donnelly,
16 Josh Graham,
17 Luke O'Dwyer.

Big J
28-08-07, 03:10 PM
Run on team:

1 Chris Walker,
2 Jake Webster,
3 Mat Rogers,
4 Brett Delaney,
5 Matthew Petersen,
6 Preston Campbell,
7 Scott Prince,
8 Anthony Laffranchi,
9 Nathan Friend,
10 Michael Hodgson,
11 Gavin Cooper,
12 Mark Minichiello,
13 Luke Swain.

Subs:

14 Daniel Conn,
15 Ian Donnelly,
16 Josh Graham,
17 Luke O'Dwyer.

No Luke Bailey???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Super Cronk
28-08-07, 03:11 PM
No Luke Bailey???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Bailey injured his hand.

Big J
28-08-07, 03:12 PM
Just read it Super Cronk. Not good news at all.

Super Cronk
28-08-07, 03:14 PM
Not good for you guys, lol, good news for the storm ;)

Cowboy Titan
28-08-07, 03:25 PM
Melbourne Storm:

1. Billy Slater,
2. Matt Geyer,
3. Matt King,
4. Israel Folau,
5. Anthony Quinn,
6. Greg Inglis,
7. Cooper Cronk,
8. Ben Cross,
9. Cameron Smith (c),
10. Brett White,
11. Clint Newton,
12. Ryan Hoffman,
13. Dallas Johnson.

Subs:

14. Jeremy Smith,
15. Steve Turner,
16. Michael Crocker,
17. Jeff Lima,
18. James Aubusson

Super Cronk
28-08-07, 03:26 PM
Kingy is back and Zappa on the bench....very intresting, good team we should do the job.

Rage
29-08-07, 05:11 PM
Here are the odds:

MELBOURNE $1.14 v TITANS $5.25

DIEHARD
29-08-07, 05:19 PM
Wow they are juicey odds for the Titans.

Queenslander
29-08-07, 05:19 PM
Here are the odds:

MELBOURNE $1.14 v TITANS $5.25

:rolf: ye of little faith.....I suppose the punters have no horses to bet on

Capital_Shark
29-08-07, 06:21 PM
Like I tell Schifty most weekends, the odds are high for a reason. No Bailey and no Storm players rested, at Olympic Park on a cold Sunday night, Storm by plenty.

Darren Lockyer
29-08-07, 06:26 PM
In the thiong at the top isn't it anthony laffranchi not anthony minicello moving to prop.

shamus
29-08-07, 06:56 PM
<mind you, titans could be on the bottom of the ladder and id still back them against the minor premiers, or any team for the matter!>

passionately blind supporters FTW!

Me too....I think I would have had a shot at winning my work tipping contest but I backed the Titans every week and I slipped from 1st to about 8th and now have no chance......and I will tip them again this week but I reckin' the hardest game of the year with plenty of Storm.........no bull.

PROMETHEUS
29-08-07, 08:44 PM
A lot of how this game pans out will probably depend on the storm players attitude.
They could either
1.Go in half hearted and try to save themselves for the upcoming finals, or
2.Adapt a ruthless attitude to warm up for the finals.

It will be an even tougher game for the Titans,missing their heart and soul in Bailey and stumbling last week AND playing in Melbourne..but

GO TITANS!!

Super Cronk
29-08-07, 08:51 PM
Im definately worried about the Storm going in half assed, they have been known for complency in so called "easy games" (or games they are expected to win) in the past.

Coaster
29-08-07, 09:01 PM
Im definately worried about the Storm going in half assed, they have been known for complency in so called "easy games" (or games they are expected to win) in the past.

LOL just that attitude alone will get you beat, and you SuperCronk wearing the titans colors for at least one week.:)

"easy games" (or games they are expected to win) Why are you expected to win this??

We have never played!! you have no record against us!! You have shafted us !! We are where who you Melbournians want to be!!

Storm might be at the top of the ladder, but maybe that is becuase you never had to play the Mighty Titans twice, other wise that is a 8 point difference and you guys are second:clap:

We are the only team in the competition to have NEVER lost a competition game against the Storm, we are the team you FEAR

GCT_89
29-08-07, 09:53 PM
lol....made me laugh

'tis true though

Chaos
29-08-07, 11:06 PM
Nice work Coaster...this will be an interesting game.

If we had something to play for, we wouldn't have a chance with our forward pack, especially with the structure we played with last week, (Carty, that was embarrassing)

If Carty lets the boys go out with the intention of having fun and let them throw the ball around, I wouldn't be supprised if the Storm's season takes a step back.
If Storm treat this as a training run...they may be to robotic and not adapt to the Titans free flowing game.

Who'd risk $100 on the Storm for a chance to win $14?

PROMETHEUS
29-08-07, 11:17 PM
LOL just that attitude alone will get you beat, and you SuperCronk wearing the titans colors for at least one week.:)

Why are you expected to win this??

We have never played!! you have no record against us!! You have shafted us !! We are where who you Melbournians want to be!!

Storm might be at the top of the ladder, but maybe that is becuase you never had to play the Mighty Titans twice, other wise that is a 8 point difference and you guys are second:clap:

We are the only team in the competition to have NEVER lost a competition game against the Storm, we are the team you FEAR

Ah,the glass is half full...:clap:

Super Cronk
30-08-07, 10:27 AM

Why are you expected to win this??

Why are we expected to win? The Storm are coming first, the titans are out of the 8, the storm have been the in-form team of the compeition and the Storms record at home has almost been perfect the past couple of years.

Im not saying we will easily win this game, if you read over my posts you will see that i have mentioned that this game is a danger game if we dont go into it with our A games. The titans WILL rip us a new one if we go into it half assed. But if the Storm go in with their a games i think we will win.

I mean i expect my team to beat every team we play (as you would with your team), but i was also looking at it from the betting aspect, the storm are favourites to win, therefore they are expected to win by the majority of people putting on bets etc.

The Storm fear the titans? :rolf:

I guess we will see what happens sunday night, will be a cracker of a match.

DIEHARD
30-08-07, 11:48 AM
Walker in doubt

FULLBACK Chris Walker is in serious doubt for Sunday's season-ending clash against Melbourne after injuring his left knee at training yesterday.

At the end of an intense fitness session, the squad was running through some final ball-work drills when Walker had a heavy knee clash with backrower Josh Graham.

Walker immediately fell to the ground clutching his knee and had to be helped from the field, unable to walk.

Titans doctor Paul Ohmsen said the former Origin flyer had re-injured his medial ligament.

Walker first damaged his medial playing for Ipswich in the Queensland Cup in July.

He had only just fought his way back into the side from a hamstring tear. The injury is not expected to impact on the Titans offering Walker a new contract for 2008 within the next fortnight.

"We will give him up until the eve of the game but it looks very doubtful," said Ohmsen.

If Walker, who was up and walking shortly after yesterday's session, fails to recover dropped pivot Josh Lewis is likely to be recalled, with Preston Campbell shifting from five-eighth to fullback.

The selection of Lewis would also have a major impact on feeder club Ipswich, who would be without the playmaker for Saturday's do-or-die Queensland Cup semi-final against Tweed Heads.

The Titans have won just three games from 10 on the road this year and face a huge task to topple the Storm, unbeaten at home this season.

Melbourne captain Cameron Smith will be presented with the J.J. Giltinan Shield, as well as a $100,000 winner's cheque, for taking out the minor premiership. The Storm are the first team in more than a decade to win back-to-back minor premierships. "We have to get it into our heads how hard it is going to be down there," said Cartwright.

"Everything is set up for them to do their lap around the field after the game with their minor premiership trophy and we have to make things as hard as we possibly can for them."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

Titanium_BD1103
30-08-07, 11:53 AM
Yeah I saw that last night on the late news.. Walker did not look good in anyway... he was carried off by two of the trainers and it seemed he was in a lot of pain, I personally reckon there is next to no chance of him playing this weekend.... :(

Shame for Chris as he deserves more games, he's been plagued by injury and issue this season... hopefully he gets another deal next year and can have an injury free run... as he has shown promise when he has played.

patskE
02-09-07, 03:01 PM
any word on walkers fitness?

DIEHARD
02-09-07, 03:52 PM
This is it guys, last match of the season. Soak it up because we are in for some massive Titans withdrawal over the next few months!

eelectrica
02-09-07, 05:10 PM
Hope I'm wrong but this could get ugly for the Titans.

Queenslander
02-09-07, 06:11 PM
Hope I'm wrong but this could get ugly for the Titans.

I hope you are too ;)

Hopefully the Titans knock the Storm around a bit to make it easier for the Broncos next week. By the looks of it the Broncos will need as much help as they can get!

patskE
02-09-07, 06:55 PM
walkers out
rogers to fb
odweyer to center
hilder bench
would of like to seen webster given a ago in teh center n a new face on the wing

Boofhead
02-09-07, 07:17 PM
Ryan Hoffman over.

4-0 Melbourne.

Boofhead
02-09-07, 07:23 PM
Melbourne get some good field position off penalties.

Turner over.

10-0 Melbourne.

Come on boys, fire up...

Boofhead
02-09-07, 07:27 PM
Cronk over...

16-0 Melbourne.

Home ground ref anyone?

Capital_Shark
02-09-07, 07:58 PM
28 - 0 at half time. Took under 6 seconds to score off the back of a scrum, Titans totally over-read the scrum play. Don't think this is the history making between the two sides in Melbourne that Coaster was hoping for..

hammer
02-09-07, 08:03 PM
I'm glad we only played the Storm once this season!

BringBackWillie
02-09-07, 08:04 PM
This is becoming as painful as the Broncos game!:hissyfit"

HodgoBerro
02-09-07, 08:18 PM
agreed. looks like melbourne could be like this next sunday inglis over 32 - 0

PROMETHEUS
02-09-07, 08:24 PM
Bullcrap penalty..we lost the ball in a three man tackle in the first half and it was play on,Melbourne lose the ball and its a penalty!

PROMETHEUS
02-09-07, 08:26 PM
Try to Mini!
Get that upya drizzle!

HodgoBerro
02-09-07, 08:27 PM
finally on the board! mini mark over with delaney con.

HodgoBerro
02-09-07, 08:47 PM
5 to go 44 - 6 folau & crocker tries

PROMETHEUS
02-09-07, 08:49 PM
Forward pass in the crocker try..

Boofhead
02-09-07, 08:50 PM
Was so painful to watch, nothing went our way.

Gonna be a long off season...

Capital_Shark
02-09-07, 08:52 PM
Cooper Cronk auditioning for the vacant Australian halves spot?

HodgoBerro
02-09-07, 08:56 PM
Full Time 50 - 6

Parra Petty
02-09-07, 09:05 PM
Hey all,

What a heart breaing way to finish off your debut season - but congratulations to the boys, the behind the scenes guys (especially Chris Knell and Jason Sinitome for puting up with me) and all you loyal supporters.

Here is my last Titans match report for the year, and I don't know just yet if I will be back next year, so good luck to everyone!!

http://www.league.net.au/storm-blow-away-titans/

In my view, I beleive Mark Minichiello should receive the Titans player of the year, even though Scott and Luke Baily played their hearts out.

Roll on Robina!!!

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Titanium_BD1103
02-09-07, 09:30 PM
What can I say as I sit here in my away jersey but, we just got beaten by a much better team tonight... however I am so proud... :clap:

The boys tried hard and never gave up, but the Storm are just a class above the rest and then some... they are going to take a monumental team to stop them and TBH, none of the top 8 look even close.

But this is about our boys, and well done to them on a fantastic season, one where they might not have made the goal of top 8, but where in nearly every game they gave their all, played as hard as they could for as long as they could and did the GC proud.... :)

Thanks to them for giving me a second team to be proud of and for giving the fans on the GC and around the world something to cheer about every week. Well done also for being there for the fans, to sign autographs and have a chat win lose or draw.

Season 2007 is over, but 2008 is looking bright already... even after this.... :)

Rage
02-09-07, 09:43 PM
What can I say as I sit here in my away jersey but, we just got beaten by a much better team tonight... however I am so proud... :clap:

The boys tried hard and never gave up, but the Storm are just a class above the rest and then some... they are going to take a monumental team to stop them and TBH, none of the top 8 look even close.

But this is about our boys, and well done to them on a fantastic season, one where they might not have made the goal of top 8, but where in nearly every game they gave their all, played as hard as they could for as long as they could and did the GC proud.... :)

Thanks to them for giving me a second team to be proud of and for giving the fans on the GC and around the world something to cheer about every week. Well done also for being there for the fans, to sign autographs and have a chat win lose or draw.

Season 2007 is over, but 2008 is looking bright already... even after this.... :)

CHEERS!

what a great season
who knows what would;ve happened if not for the horror run of injuries
but all in all what a great season

i'll be there in 2008 :D

Super Cronk
02-09-07, 10:47 PM
I guess the Storm conquered their fears tonight, wouldnt you say Coaster? :p

Glad to see the Storm went in all guns blazing. Sad for the Titans that they had to finish on such a sad note.

Anyways good to see people like Titanium_BD1103 not come up with excuses like the Storm had "homeground ref" on their side or complain about every try, from forward passes to getting a raw deal from the ref. T_BD hit the nail on the head the Titans were out-performed plain and simple. Its sad that not all supporters are like you mate, the others can choke on some humble pie :) .

Like ive said elsewhere the titans should be happy with the season they had, injuries werent kind to them but they did show alot of heart this season and will definately be in the 8 this time next year. Congrats guys, better luck next year tho!

PROMETHEUS
02-09-07, 11:14 PM
Its funny how supporters of every team can see forward passes from whoever their team is playing,i reckin brissie supporters would have seen illegal play from the eels today..even storm supporters have been known to whinge about refereeing decisions. :)

Titanium_BD1103
03-09-07, 09:39 AM
Anyways good to see people like Titanium_BD1103 not come up with excuses like the Storm had "homeground ref" on their side or complain about every try, from forward passes to getting a raw deal from the ref. T_BD hit the nail on the head the Titans were out-performed plain and simple. Its sad that not all supporters are like you mate, the others can choke on some humble pie :) .

Thanks SC... and TBH, the only reason I say it is because it's true... no matter what happened last night and if any of those 50/50 decisions could have gone the Titans way, the Storm still would have won by plenty...your team is just on another planet ATM... sadly I've now had to watch both my teams on the losing end of that resurgence...:hissyfit"

The Storm are going to take some real beating if anyone wants to stop them winning the premiership.. can it happen, well under finals football anything can happen TBH, so I ain't ruling anything out... but at the same time, Melbourne are just a class above the rest ATM, and no matter what you say or do, there is no denying that simple fact... best accept it, for the teams in the 8, do your best to combat it and for everyone else, just admire it, as it's a rare sight to see... :clap:

Super Cronk
03-09-07, 11:41 AM
Its funny how supporters of every team can see forward passes from whoever their team is playing,i reckin brissie supporters would have seen illegal play from the eels today..even storm supporters have been known to whinge about refereeing decisions. :)

No doubt about it, the refs have been poor this year. BUT there is a difference between saying a ref had a bad game and him costing your team a win ie: reffering to the ref as "homeground ref". Simple fact of the matter is the Storm out played the titans ALL over the park....before the game some people like to run their mouths and say this and that but when they lose its a different tone. I know it hurts that the Storm thumped you...but just concede that you were beaten fair and square by the better team on the night prometheus.

Steve
03-09-07, 12:29 PM
On one hand, the reffing was atrocious. I actually thought it was the same ref as the Sharks game. Looks like it wasn't though. As I said last week. Bad reffing is just another aspect of the game, and you have to be able to win against it.

On the other hand, the Storm played well, and showed why they're top of the table. Titans stiffened up a bit in the second half and pulled them in a bit, but it just wasn't enough. We looked good when we had the ball, we just never had it in the first half, and the Melbourne defence was great, while ours seemed to fall apart.

I was worried when I heard Bailey was out. As it's been all year, he and Laffranchi have provided pretty much all the team's go forward and defence. While Laffranchi made a huge 57 tackles and 19 hit ups, he can't do it alone.

Still, a well deserved win for the Storm. Now to get ready for season 2!

Coaster
03-09-07, 05:02 PM
I guess the Storm conquered their fears tonight, wouldnt you say Coaster? :p

!

Haha yeah i guess you could say that.

Bah had to sit the entire game with my Brother who is a Melbourne supporter also, we had 200 on the game, i got 14 start, and i still lost by 30:duh:

When you ready send me the signiture i need to wear

Super Cronk
03-09-07, 07:35 PM
Haha yeah i guess you could say that.

Bah had to sit the entire game with my Brother who is a Melbourne supporter also, we had 200 on the game, i got 14 start, and i still lost by 30:duh:

When you ready send me the signiture i need to wear

Another titans fan who can take it on the chin and doesnt resort to pathetic excuses. :clap:

Super Cronk
03-09-07, 09:11 PM
ok coaster here is a sig, i just whipped it up, it isnt very good tho. i havent used photoshop in a long time and i havent got all my brushes back yet :(.

So this will have to do:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/192/mpxj7.jpg

Coaster
04-09-07, 05:59 PM
Done!!

:cry:

jenny
04-09-07, 06:19 PM
:laugh:
LOL...I've been there Coaster..It sux....Sfunny though :p

PROMETHEUS
04-09-07, 08:10 PM
Surely this thread has run its course?

Steelers
04-09-07, 10:43 PM

The game finished barely 24 hours ago... :|

Super Cronk
05-09-07, 10:36 AM

Ill keep bringing it up dont worry about that, just for you.

PROMETHEUS
05-09-07, 06:08 PM
Ill keep bringing it up dont worry about that, just for you.

How suprising.